[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.10 MB, 3814x2543, bitlounger_00010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4607717 No.4607717 [Reply] [Original]

Is it weird that I just really don't like 16 bit era games at all?

My friend has a SNES Classic with some extra games added on and when I come over I pretty much exclusively play the NES games. Ninja Gaiden is my shit. I can play that for hours. paperboy 2 is awesome, as is megaman 2, but I generally get bored of pretty much all the 16 bit offerings really quickly.

When I go home and fire up my emulators the same thing happens. I'll play NES games, then pretty much go straight to Playstation games, but rarely touch the SNES or Genesis titles (except Sonic and Knuckles occasionally because that game is awesome)

Now before I get the predictable response of
>hurrrr SNES Classic is shit that is why fucking fake ass faggot ass emulator

That's not the issue. I actually don't care how 100% accurate an emulation is as long as it's playable and has a good frame rate, and like I said I play on emulators at home as well. The issue is game-play.

The 16 bit era didn't really do much to expand on the gameplay of the 8 bit era. It's all the same shit: side scrollers, platformers, fighting games, and JRPGs (but now with an ungodly amount of unskippable cut-scenes that aren't even good), and honestly I don't really like these genres of games that much with the exception of a well made platformer.
On the NES these games are tight, to the point and abstract. But on the SNES and genesis they feel bloated and clunky, and the attempts of the 16 bit era to branch out into 3D gaming were just awkward as hell. The SNES did have some decent SHMUP offerings but they were always inferior to their arcade counterparts, which the PS1 were able to emulate much better.

Idk. I just don't really think 16 bit gaming is all that great.

>> No.4607721
File: 851 KB, 773x856, 3rdgen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The 16 bit era didn't really do much to expand on the gameplay of the 8 bit era
And graphics and sound, but yeah, 4th gen was 3rd gen on steroids.
It's weird that you like 3rd gen, but not 4th.
It's also weird that, loving 3rd gen, you like 5th gen like PS1, but not 4th gen.
Also, if Sonic 3 and Knuckles is one game you consider awesome (it is, I agree), I think you haven't played much of 4th gen.
You evidently have the potential to enjoy it, maybe you just didn't find the right games, or you went about it with the wrong mindset maybe?
I don't think many people will agree with you about 4th gen games being "clunky", it's the generation that has some of the smoothest and better polished 2D games.

>> No.4607727

>>4607717
You're right by saying 4th gen consoles didn't advance games a lot. The biggest jump was handling shoot 'em ups better (without flickering and stuff), and even then sometimes they had too much slowdown. Also racing games became better.
However, games are more refined in general. You have to check more games out, I think.
During those years gaming's biggest developments were in the arcade (beat 'em ups, fighting games, the rise of bullet hells, 3D racing) and PC (FPS, RTS, improvements to RPGs, stuff like Myst). Consoles tried having some of those genres but they were lesser ports / games due to lesser or not appropriate hardware.

>> No.4607743

Nice blog. I'm not sure why you think it matters that you can't get into a particular generation. It's not like /vr/ is some kind of exclusive club where you have to enjoy exactly the same things the rest of us do.

>> No.4607749

You're not alone, OP, I feel the same. I own a lot of NES games, a SNES which I rarely touch and a PS1 I am very enthusiastic about (not so for the 64, though).

I feel like gen 4 didn't bring many new ideas to the table, while NES games (often due to the imperative limitations) often feel more concise and focused on certain core gameplay aspects.

>> No.4607753
File: 991 KB, 1420x590, Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 1.18.14 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4607721
feel free to recommend me some shit. Dragon Warrior III almost doesn't count since it's a translation of a remake that wasn't even available in the US.

I really tried to like Secret of Mana. It was great up until you had to control multiple characters. I got real sick of them running head first into enemies and not doing anything to defend themselves, and without a keyboard and mouse to micro-manage them like Baldurs Gate it got real fucking frustrating. Haven't touched Secret of Evermore yet.

>> No.4607761

>>4607727
It was a renaissance for PC gaming. When I was 12 my mom passed me down her old mac computer, which had nogamez, so I downloaded DOSBox on it and started playing games like TES Arena, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Crawl, Duke 3D, DOOM and Command and Conquer. Those games were great, and still are today.

>> No.4607805

>>4607753
Not him (I'm >>4607727 )
Try these (only considering the base consoles):

SNES
Ninja Warriors Again, Mega Man X2, Macross Scramble Valkyrie, F-Zero, Super Punch Out, Tetris Attack, Fire Emblem series, Super Famicom Wars, Wild Guns and maybe Demon's Crest, Cybernator, R-Type III, Space Megaforce, Axelay, UN Squadron and Super Ghouls and Ghosts; also dig into lesser known JRPGs (fan translations) if you're into those, there's quite a few. This board seems keen on LIVE A LIVE particularly, which is unlike any 8-bit RPG and it's a brief and not grindy experience. The Lufia ones feature puzzle stuff. Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 are probably the best if you understand Japanese.

MD/Genesis
Thunder Force series, Sub-Terrania, Treasure games, Gaiares, Splatterhouse 2, Shinobi series, Castlevania Bloodlines, Adventures of Batman & Robin, Ranger X, Elemental Master, MUSHA, Biohazard Battle, Greylancer, Phantasy Star series, Shining Force series, Herzog Zwei, Puyo Puyo, Contra: Hard Corps

PCE/TG16
Blazing Lazers, Soldier series. I haven't gotten into this console much yet.

>> No.4607950

There are good, tight, classic arcade games on Genesis. SNES action games tend to be about a slower pace, exploration, atmosphere, etc.

>> No.4608610

Opposite here.

I finally bought a NES. I get bored of those games quickly. I've never played Ninja Gaiden, have to give it a try.

Never found an exclusive Genesis game I like. Sonic games are good I just can't play them because it seems like it would take too long to learn. I had problems figuring out what to do. Oh wait, toejam and earl was cool but I had to have someone showing me what to do. So there's one.

Never found a PS1 game I enjoy. I can't understand how people like the system unless they love JRPGs. Spyro and Crash seem okay, but that's it. The rest of those games that I've seen are every thing I don't like about video games.
Guess I don't really like video games other than first party nintendo up until gamecube.

>> No.4608686

>>4607717
No, there is zero reason to play any 2d games anymore.

>> No.4608704
File: 722 KB, 600x805, 1511923202183.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

at the start of 16 bit there were a few good 8 bit reamakes but not long after that it seemed to be graphics over gameplay, seems like a lot of the 8 bit platformers are better than the 16 bit ones and 16 bit is when you started to see really bad western developed games and a flood of yearly sports games on console.

>> No.4608748

The difference between 8bit to 16bit isn't just graphics. The genres pretty much remain the same but to me it seems tome there was a change in paradigm. Games started focusing more on story and exploration, while 8bit remained more true to arcade style. I don't know man I am drunk and don't feel like elaborating further.

>> No.4608813

>>4607717
Not weird at all. This is very typical for young bandwagoners who learned what to like from youtube. So is blogging on 4chan.

>> No.4609089

>>4607717

There's only so much you can do with a 2D plane. 8 and 16 bit consoles were bound to be similar for that reason alone. Refining of those 2D concepts were something most were looking for.

16 bit consoles also helped to bring the arcade experience home. Nobody was going to play Smash TV on their old NES unless they absolutely had to.

>> No.4609137

NES to SNES is a massive leap in refinement and playability ignoring the graphics. Everything on NES is incredibly janky, it's basically a glorified atari

>> No.4609140

>>4607717
How old are you OP?