[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 181 KB, 640x1089, dq5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4581551 No.4581551 [Reply] [Original]

Do you think if this game came out in the west DQ would have gotten a lot bigger here? I'm playing it now and I'm really loving it, this is already one of my favorite SNES/SFC RPGs.

>> No.4581569

No. DQ5 is one of the weakest games in the series. The West got two localized versions of 3, and both 7 and 8 - which easily had the most content out of the entire series - were also localized in English.

>b-but muh waifus!
Yeah, no. Fuck off. If you have to peddle a game on fanservice alone, then it clearly sucks and can't sell on its own merits.

>> No.4581614

>>4581551
Probably not, the west was never big into DQ even when it came out during the NES days and then later in post-retro times.
This had more of a chance due to catering a bit more to storyfags, but again, I doubt it. These games didn't really explode here till FFVII, it took heavy simplification and cinematic elements for the genre to take off here.

>> No.4581721

>BUT MUH STORYFAGS
You embarrassments are talking like they removed the elements that already made DQ good to make room for story, but it didnt compromise the series' values at all. Just because you have your choice of characters to marry doesn't mean it's a waifu sim.
Then again, why even seriously respond on the must "EPIKK CONTRARIANS" board on the net?

>> No.4581757

>>4581721
>Everyone who disagrees with me is a contrarian!

Great start, OP. I'm sure everybody is going to take your thread seriously now that you've prematurely dismissed all dissenting opinions.

>> No.4581780

>>4581721
You're the first to say DQV sucked because of storyfagging, anon.
We're saying the franchise, DQV included, isn't storyfag enough to be liked in the west.

>> No.4581824

>>4581780
>isn't storyfag enough to be liked in the west.
I think a lot of westerners want a JRPG to have a really complicated story because that's the precedent FF7 set, but I think there is something to be said for simplicity, I love the plots in DQ games because they aren't as convoluted and obtuse as a lot of JRPGs.

>> No.4581835 [DELETED] 

>>4581757
>if someone disagrees with my literally retarded shitpost i can just cry samefag and win the conversation without having to make any sort of counter point!

>> No.4581891

>>4581824
JRPGs were around in the US before FFVII but they didn't catch on precisely because they weren't storyfaggy enough.
Think: what were the most successful pre-FFVII games there? That's right, the ones that focused more on plot, like FFIV, FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

>> No.4581906

>>4581614
This.
Also, even if you remove the cool story and Bianca from the game you would still have ability to tame monsters so that alone would make V a great game.
I would like to point out that FFVII didn't became popular because of the story, it became popular because of the "coolness" of the characters, the same goes to VIII, most people never actually got what FFVII was all about except for the "Sephirot is the bad guy" part.

>> No.4581929

>>4581906
"Coolness of the characters" is still part of the story, as well as aesthetics. So something storyfags are into.

>> No.4581938

>>4581551
Just bringing it over would have had a negligable effect, but if it received a large marketing campaign it would be popular and heralded as one of the greatest games ever. DQ became insanely popular in japan because Enix put effort into making it popular, and from there the popularity snowballed. FFVII was extremely successful in the west because it had the highest marketing budget by far. Chrono Trigger is treated like some sort of masterpiece because that's how the marketing portrayed it. etc.

>> No.4581957

>>4581938
Are you even over 18?

>> No.4581974

>>4581938
You're saying this as if Enix USA didn't try hard to make these popular in the NES days. The rest is correct, though.

>> No.4582106

Where RPGs did succeed in the English-speaking market, it was largely ones that adopted the more cinematic approach taken by Square. I mean the DQs that we got weren't without their fans, but especially going into the 5th gen I feel like they would have fallen by the wayside regardless.

>> No.4582109

No

SFC version is pretty weak, DQIII and VI beat it in every possible way

>> No.4582127

>>4581551

Since FFVII made JRPGs popular in the West, Western JRPG fans expected a certain level of flashy cinematic storytelling that DQ didn't have until DQ8. It's also an extremely traditionalist franchise with lots of mechanics that continued to carry over which people probably wouldn't have enjoyed at the time.

>> No.4582898

>>4582127
It also works the other way around, as I said here >>4581891

>> No.4583369

>>4581551
DS is better.

>> No.4583464

>>4581551
A lot of SNES RPGs were very expensive. The only reason I played Secret of Evermore was because I couldn't afford Secret of Mana ($10 vs $50 for used copies). Dragon Quest V has a smaller filesize so it could have been a cheaper RPG. If this were the case I think the series may have caught on a bit stronger since the story is simple enough to appeal to kids. Plus you get monster catching and training before Pokemon

>> No.4583474

>>4582898

Well it's not like Americans don't like mechanics-centric RPGs, such as roguelikes and dungeon crawlers. It's just that up until the mid-2000s no one thought you could market console games to anyone older than "teens", because all the adults were playing on PC. People assumed kids wouldn't be into JRPGs, and when FFVII proved them wrong it was clear to them that they needed to be flashy and story-centric.

>> No.4583531

>>4583474
>such as roguelikes and dungeon crawlers.
That was the PC audience, very different from the console one, and a pretty niche one at that.
Again, read here: >>4581974