Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 824 KB, 1242x887, BBAA9EB9-B062-4701-A98E-0765F75FC474.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580663 No.4580663 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Does any other millineal(1982-2000) consider this the best console ever? I know some will say PS2, Dreamcast or Super Nintendo, but for me this is as great as it got.

>> No.4580667

>>4580663
A lot of the older gamers on here won’t like this console, Espically the ones that grow up playing the Atari 2600 and intellivison.

>> No.4580668

Absolutely. You will no doubt encounter many contrarians who will sound off all sorts of reasons for they hate it, but it is, by far, my favorite console. I love pretty much everything about it. Best graphics of the gen, analog controls for basically every game, no load times, 4 player out of the box, and most of all... some of the best games ever made. There's at least one 10/10 game in just about every genre and a ton of weird experimental ones that barely fit in a genre at all, like Blast Corps or Wetrix. How anyone couldn't love this console is beyond me.

>> No.4580669

>>4580668
I know there was something about the vibrant colors, the sound effects, the graphics that made it stand out from other consoles. The controller never was a problem for me.

>> No.4580672

>>4580667
I think the GameCube or the Wii U is the most hated game console.

>> No.4580673

>>4580672
From Nintendo that is.

>> No.4580674

I'm not sure why it matters what age a person is, but yeah it's definitely up there among the best. Are there really people who think dreamcast is the best console ever? I've argued before against people who say it was a pointless console, but the best ever? It was out for two years and had a handful of good games.

>> No.4580675

>>4580669
You're right, there was definitely something uniquely special about the graphics and I think it's largely because of the way the limitations were worked around. For example, if you look at a game like Banjo-Kazooie, a lot of the items and world objects are actually 2D sprites animated to look 3D, like the notes or eggs. A lot of games used this technique -- SM64, Mario Kart 64, DKR, just about every game to some degree really. Combined with a very bright and vivid color palette and smooth textures, it just gave games this super colorful, chunky, look that remains appealing to this day. When I look at a lot of PS1 games, they just disgust me. A bunch of blocky, jagged little pixels and bent lines and jittery polygons. Really just awful honestly. But a game like Super Mario 64 or Star Fox 64 will always look good because they have style.

>> No.4580678

>>4580674
Considering the amount of homebrew games there are for the Dreamcast. I am sure there are quite a few people who consider it the best.

>> No.4580685

>>4580672
Gamecube is probably the most kid friendly console ever made. That’s why people hate it.

>> No.4580687

>>4580678
The Dreamcast is pretty bad honestly. Well-built, but that's about all you can say for it. Retarded fucking controller, useless features like the VMU screen that just added needless cost to production and price, almost nothing worth playing except arcade games, etc. I had one, enjoyed it for a few titles like JGR and Sonic, but outside of that, there wasn't much reason to own one, and compared to the likes of PS2 and GameCube it was thoroughly outdone in every way.

>> No.4580689

>>4580685
Also why the fuck did they make it look like a purple lunch box?

>> No.4580690

>>4580675
>a lot of the items and world objects are actually 2D sprites animated to look 3D, like the notes or eggs. A lot of games used this technique -- SM64, Mario Kart 64, DKR, just about every game to some degree really.

I guess it depends how you look at it. Duke Nukem used a lot of 2D sprites like in the enemies, I wouldn't say Banjo Kazooie or any of those other games did, I'd consider them pretty much all 3d.

>> No.4580692

>>4580672
I think gamecube is one of the least hated consoles

>> No.4580693

>>4580690
>I guess it depends how you look at it.
No... not really, it's kind of a fact. Just look at MK64: every kart and item is actually 2D. Pretty much every item in BK is 2D except jiggies. Animated 2D sprites were used in just about every game. That doesn't mean they aren't 3D games but they used special techniques like this to make the graphics look nicer and save processing resources. It's part of the charm.

>> No.4580695

>>4580687
Shemue, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Soul Caliber. There were a lot of great game released on it in its short life span.

>> No.4580696

>>4580692
Really? Every time I see someone bring up the GameCube they get bashed for liking a kiddy console.

>> No.4580697

>>4580695
Almost all of that got ported within a year or two of the console's demise and that's a pretty sad lineup compared to what consoles like the GCN had. Melee, RE4, REmake + all of the other RE games, Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur 2, Mario SUnshine, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 1 + 2, Timesplitters 2 + 3, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Battalion Wars, Mario Kart, WW, TP... I mean, just about everything that made the DC worth owning plus a fuckton more.

>> No.4580705

>>4580696
People throw that insult at Nintendo consoles in general, but I haven't seen it with gamecube in particular. Wii and Wii U get the most hate by far obviously, but I've seen more hate towards N64 and even SNES than Gamecube.

>> No.4580707

>>4580697
Dreamcast did have a lot of arcade ports, and probably relied too much on it. Most gamers at that time weren’t into that.

>> No.4580709

>>4580693
>No... not really, it's kind of a fact. Just look at MK64: every kart and item is actually 2D.

omg, not they're not. Every kart is fully 3D, the item blocks are fully 3D and I am pretty sure the shells are as well. How you mentioned MK64 is what caused me to reply the most, those are all 3D objects. Maybe you're thinking of SMK.

>Pretty much every item in BK is 2D except jiggies. Animated 2D sprites were used in just about every game. That doesn't mean they aren't 3D games but they used special techniques like this to make the graphics look nicer and save processing resources. It's part of the charm.

Sure but it's a common videogame technique on any system even up to current games. Being a fully 3D system which had a little bit of trouble with 2D games, I'd guess on N64 it was used less than on most systems and not a characteristic of the system.

>> No.4580712

>>4580707
There are people who want Sega to release a Dreamcast 2 which is pretty funny.

>> No.4580713

>>4580709
the shells are definitely sprites, as are the other items. I don't see what's wrong with it though.
btw, the character sprites in Mario Kart 64 have wayyy more detail than 3D models would have had.

>> No.4580714
File: 250 KB, 1280x960, 408535-AAFV2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580714

>>4580709
>omg, not they're not. Every kart is fully 3D, the item blocks are fully 3D and I am pretty sure the shells are as well. How you mentioned MK64 is what caused me to reply the most, those are all 3D objects. Maybe you're thinking of SMK.
Lol... kiddo, you don't know what you're talking about. The characters/karts in MK64 are all 2D. They are pre-rendered models which the devs basically took 2D "pictures" of at different angles and then turned into an animation. Same with every item you use. They LOOK 3D just like stuff in Donkey Kong Country looks 3D, but it's an illusion.
>Sure but it's a common videogame technique on any system even up to current games. Being a fully 3D system which had a little bit of trouble with 2D games, I'd guess on N64 it was used less than on most systems and not a characteristic of the system.
I don't know where you're getting any of this from. The N64 didn't have any trouble with 2D games, it actually excelled at them, Nintendo just didn't bother making them because they weren't popular at the time. Not trying to be rude but you don't have a single fucking clue what you're talking about.

>> No.4580720

>>4580714
Are you guys really arguing about graphics from a game released in 1997?

>> No.4580723

>>4580713
>btw, the character sprites in Mario Kart 64 have wayyy more detail than 3D models would have had.

That is incorrect, the karts and characters are fully 3D models. You can go right around them and see every part of them. The camera also goes over and around them. Those are 3D, those aren't sprites. Please stop posting fake information about consoles because the way you framed it originally it sounded like something characteristic of the N64 and clearly you have a lot of your facts wrong.

>> No.4580724

>>4580720
>Are you guys really arguing about graphics from a game released in 1997?
>he says while browsing a japanese retro gaming image board

>> No.4580727

>>4580724
It just seems trivial to me.

>> No.4580728
File: 650 KB, 2115x1864, Nintendo 64 - Mario Kart 64 - Mario.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580728

>>4580723
>That is incorrect, the karts and characters are fully 3D models.
Retard, they are not. Do you know what the difference between a model and a sprite are? See this? This is a sprite sheet for Mario in MK64. They are fucking sprites. They are animated 2D images. Stop talking about things you don't understand.

>> No.4580730 [DELETED] 

>>4580714
Wow lol, another one. Pre-rendered is completely different, it's just taking a few pictures and putting them together, like you said.

I can promise you, swear on my life that you can go all around the N64 karts and you must be fairly blind not to have noticed that. Unless they took several billion pictures, they're all 3d you absolute faggots.

>> No.4580731

>>4580723
>That is incorrect, the karts and characters are fully 3D models. You can go right around them and see every part of them. The camera also goes over and around them. Those are 3D, those aren't sprites.
what the fuck. how does that prove they aren't sprites? do you know what a sprite is?

>> No.4580735

>>4580730
>I can promise you, swear on my life that you can go all around the N64 karts and you must be fairly blind not to have noticed that. Unless they took several billion pictures, they're all 3d you absolute faggots.
Sitting here actually knowing what I'm talking about and watching you make a complete retard out of yourself is pretty funny honestly. Look at the sprite sheet I just posted. Yes, they did take "Severeal billion pictures", that's how animations work you dumb fuck. They just animated every side of the character. Is this really so hard for you to grasp? How old are you honestly?

>> No.4580738
File: 2.56 MB, 167x190, 1495982485699.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580738

>a bunch of 17 year olds who think sprites are the same thing as 3D models
Is it summer already?

>> No.4580739

>>4580728
You are right, Killer Instinct Gold is another good example. But why call the guy a retard?

>> No.4580740

>>4580739
>You are right, Killer Instinct Gold is another good example. But why call the guy a retard?
Because he's being one. Did you just arrive from Reddit or something?

>> No.4580742

>>4580730
Dude, no. they are sprites and they actually didn't need as many as you think because they could be flipped. Most textures, especially on the N64 are perfectly symmetrical because the game engine can just mirror the sprites and even put the two mirrored halves together

>> No.4580748

>>4580742
>deleted his post after realizing he being fucking retarded
Lol, every time.

>> No.4580750

>>4580748
Damn man, you’re cold hearted.

>> No.4580753 [DELETED] 

>>4580750
>Damn man, you’re cold hearted.
And you're the kind of faggot that plays apologist for stupidity. Even more likely, you're probably the guy himself playing damage control.

>> No.4580757

>>4580663
Great RPGs include.......Paper Mario and.......Uhhh....

>> No.4580759 [DELETED] 
File: 1.06 MB, 1064x1750, The_Shit_Rat_Identification_Manual.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580759

>>4580757
ALERT: Shit-Rat identified. Point #3.

>> No.4580761

>>4580753
No, I am not. I don’t understand putting someone down for making a mistake. We all have made mistakes.

>> No.4580762

>>4580757
Yeah man, I wish Nintendo had given me more games about cringey anime characters with pink hair and giant swords where you wander around an overworld running into invisible monsters. Man, those games are sorely missed. Poor N64 fans just had to be content with actual games for all these years.

>> No.4580767

>>4580762
Is that what you thought of the RPGs on the Super Nintendo? ;)

>> No.4580768 [DELETED] 

>>4580761
There's nothing wrong with making a mistake when you're humble about it, but when you act like a little punk and say shit like "you must be blind if you don't think I'm right" when you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about, you absolutely deserve to get shit on. Sorry, I'm not a pussy like you, I don't reward willful ignorance with nice guy comments. Time to go back to redd1t now my child.

>> No.4580769

>>4580767
I'm guessing he didn't play anything before 5th gen

>> No.4580770

>>4580767
>Is that what you thought of the RPGs on the Super Nintendo? ;)
The only SNES RPGs I ever had were FF3 and Breath of Fire because my brother bought them. I had absolutely no interest in anything else. Glad you at least admit your taste is shit, makes discarding your opinion a lot easier.

>> No.4580776

I had an atari xe with cartridge games as a kid, my uncle had a st, but I had when some. Millennials or gen x think 70s or 80s consoles were better just because of nostalgia.. The best of the 90s for me is the dream cast, yes it had many bootleg games but the arcade ports were amazing like daytona

>> No.4580779

>>4580770
>Glad you at least admit your taste is shit, makes discarding your opinion a lot easier.

Wow you are a feisty one. :)

>> No.4580782

>>4580776
>The best of the 90s for me is the dream cast,

High five!

>> No.4580786

>>4580779
Yes, and you are a retarded one.

>> No.4580787

>>4580692
That is because nobody gives a shit about GC.

>> No.4580789

>>4580786
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion on me.

>> No.4580794
File: 925 KB, 1242x1226, 1226FB13-BAAB-497F-A113-A80FB06E86F5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580794

>>4580787

>> No.4580801

>>4580782
It is all these gen x ers big up, atari or nes, but in reality they were old enough to enjoy these consoles when they came out, whereas millennials who like them would have had these second hand and just act contrarian to those who like newer consoles

>> No.4580803

>>4580727
Just go back.

>> No.4580806

>>4580801
I don't see anyone on /vr/ talking about how much they love atari. NES is actually a great console by the standards of any gen so far.

>> No.4580807

>>4580663
I know

Turok 2
Mortal Kombat 4
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye 007
Star Cox 64
Glover
Wave Race 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Donkey Kong 64
Perfect Dark
Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
Rayman 2

Just so many great games and memes

>> No.4580813
File: 9 KB, 207x333, chris-d-rose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4580813

>>4580807
>Star Cox 64

>> No.4580817

>>4580807
Also the only Nintendo home console to have decent Pokémon games. Pokémon Snap, Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, Hey You Pikachu. The ones on the GameCube and Wii sucked cock.

>> No.4580823

>>4580807
Don't forget Doom 64, Wetrix, Tetrisphere, Jet Force Gemini, Quake + Quake 2, Hexen, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Story, Goemon games, Blast Corps, Ogre Battle 64... jesus, what a fucking treasure trove.

>> No.4580826

>>4580817
honestly Stadium 1 and 2 aren't that great either outside of the mini-games. Though I do like the challenge cup in 2 where you get randomized parties and try to fight with them. Much more interesting than rentals. I never had the patience to actually finish the games with my parties. though I beat like half of 1 with my party from my Yellow cartridge

>> No.4580829

>>4580823
>>4580807
you both forgot the best fucking racing game by far, F-Zero X.

>> No.4580831

>>4580829
Lmao, hard to remember each one when there are so many greats. But yes, F-Zero X is second only to perhaps F-Zero GX as best non-kart racer ever made.

>> No.4580836

>>4580831
GX was a little too hard.

>> No.4580838

The NES/Famicom is the best for me

>> No.4580840

>>4580836
Funny, I thought X was the harder one by far. I just like GX for the customization aspect, improved graphics, and being able to put penises on your car.

>> No.4580843

>>4580807
Add 1080 Snowboarding the best snowboarding game outside of SSX. Also playing as Spider-Man in Tony Hawks pro skater 2.

>> No.4580850

>>4580836
It's easier to die on GX (it has harder courses, but the courses are also a lot more fun and creative IMO, the X is amazing too), but it's harder to win on X, because X's rubberband AI selects a few "top AIs" to finish in the top few rankings every race to keep the cup really close, Mario Kart style. Whereas in GX, your rival could get 1st in one race, 10th in the next, 16th in the next, 4th in the next, etc..it's more natural, though there is some rubberbanding in GX too.

The other thing about GX is the cars don't just have different stats, they have totally different control styles. I can't think of any other racing game where the characters are so distinct from each other. Imagine the Karts vs Bikes in Mario Kart Wii except instead of 2 styles there's like 8, with little variations in each of them. Unfortunately Wild Goose is super awful in GX, and that's my favorite car in X. Anyway I finished both games on Master. They're 2 of my all-time favorites. The orignial is also very good but not on the same level. I beat them on expert but not Master.
the series went like this
F-Zero -> F-Zero X -> F-Zero GX
Hardest AI, easiest courses -> Hard AI, moderate courses -> Easiest AI, Hardest courses

>> No.4580856

>>4580807
What about the Mario parties? Mario tennis and golf? Can’t forget about those

>> No.4580859

>>4580856
And pilot wings, and kirby, and bomberman, and body harvest, and wrestling games, and star wars, and harvest moon...

Jesus Christ the N64 has a lot of good games.

>> No.4580860

>>4580663
>Does any other millineal(1982-2000)
Never seen anyone start the millineal gen at '82 but regardless looks like you didn't get the last newsletter explaining how the generation parameters have changed. It's now 1980 to 1994.

>> No.4580869

>>4580860
It was 1982-2000 about 2 years ago. GenX 1964-1981 and baby boomers 1945-1963.

>> No.4580874

>>4580859
HM64 has so much cool stuff but I wish you didn't have to pause to switch items and could use L/R like Back to Nature, and I wish it didn't have such a short time limit/day. It's still great though, just kinda rough. i've played both of them and the GBA remake so I'm pretty familiar.

>> No.4580878

>>4580663
I thought that Gen Y started at around 1980-1981 and ended at 1996.

>> No.4580879

>>4580859
I hear the wrestling games are pretty good, but I haven’t got around to playing any.

>> No.4580881

>>4580874
A fair point, but between the two versions I guarantee you'll waste more of your life with those atrocious loading times than you ever will having to pause to switch items.

>> No.4580885

>>4580860
The idea was to put everyone under the age of 18 as of the start of the 2000 (ie people who were children at the start of the millennium.)

>> No.4580901

>>4580885
Shouldn't it be people born in the 2000?, that way they would be people born in a new millennium

>> No.4580905

>>4580663
I was born in '82 and for me the NES, SNES and PS1 were the best consoles ever made.

>> No.4580916

>>4580807
Dont forget all the great wrestling games for thise of us into them
>Wcw vs Nwo world tour
>wcw/nwo revenge
>wrestlemania 2000
>no mercy
>virtual pro
God this was a top tier system. I just wish they didnt fuck up the n64DD. I still want to play the OoT expansion they had planned.

>> No.4580926

The N64 had pretty ambitious hardware. It’s hard to believe these days that the first console to output a stable, always perspective correct 3D image was made by Nintendo.

Hell, the N64’s GPU could probably be described as the world’s first modern GPU since it had a fully programmable vertex shader.

>> No.4580943

>>4580757

Ogre Battle
technically Hybrid Heaven
Paper Mario

>> No.4580949

>>4580901
No, since the 82-99 cohort would be the first adult generation that reached maturity in the new millennium.

>> No.4580951

>>4580742
Rofl, it says right I the development section of the wiki page for it that they are all pre-rendered sprites. The N64 didn't have the graphical power to render 8 fully 3D players with decent detail on the track at once.

Not only that, if you watch any footage of the game, you can easily tell. There are very definitive frames for each character as they turn, not a perfectly smooth transition as 3D would do.

>> No.4580956

>>4580663

N64 was ground breaking and had some real gems but it also had piles of disappointments. Though if 3D platformers are your thing you cant really go wrong

>> No.4580958

>>4580697
>>4580697
I always loved gamecube. It had some great games.

>> No.4580970

>>4580951
>The N64 didn't have the graphical power to render 8 fully 3D players with decent detail on the track at once.
World Driver Championship managed with flying colors

>> No.4580975

>>4580956
>N64 was ground breaking and had some real gems but it also had piles of disappointments. Though if 3D platformers are your thing you cant really go wrong
Yeah, all of those amazing shooters, adventure games, puzzlers, racers, strategy games, party games and sports games were "piles of disappointment", all it had were platformers... lol, get out of here faggot, go play your cringe JRPGs because that's clearly what you desire.

>> No.4580983

>>4580975
I played alot of those games too. But again your remembering the gems.

Heck I still own an N64 and occasionally play it so its not like I hate it or anything, its just not my favorite system of all time.

>> No.4580985

>>4580983
>I played alot of those games too. But again your remembering the gems.
I'm not talking about the mainstream stuff. I'm talking about shit like Tetrisphere, Ogre Battle 64, Blast Corps, Doom 64, Goemon, Quake 2, everything. There is absolutely nothing disappointing about the N64 in any capacity unless you really like SNES-tier JRPGs.

>> No.4580991

>>4580926
There was a time that the N64 was arguably the most powerful gaming machine on earth, better than most PCs of the era. People shit on the cartridge format but truthfully it was only an issue for storing FMV and redbook audio. Outside of that, N64 games were big and beautiful. Games like Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark legitimately look better than a lot of early DC/PS2 games.

>> No.4580993

>>4580985
Superman 64, War Gods, Hexen, Powerpuff girls, power rangers lightspeed rescue, Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt, Etc

>> No.4580996

>>4580993
>names shovelware that literally every console has
>implying Hexen isn't fantastic
Get a load of this faggot.

>> No.4580997

>>4580663
Worst Nintendo console and worst of the big 3 of that generation. Easily the most over rated console of all time. Only keep mine for mario 64, no mercy and dkr. Even the saturn has more than 3 games

>> No.4581000

>>4580993
Half of those were also on PlayStation

>> No.4581001 [DELETED] 
File: 1.06 MB, 1064x1750, The_Shit_Rat_Identification_Manual.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581001

>>4580997
>Worst Nintendo console and worst of the big 3 of that generation. Easily the most over rated console of all time. Only keep mine for mario 64, no mercy and dkr. Even the saturn has more than 3 games
Typical Sony faggot with no taste. If you think games like Perfect Dark, Star Fox and Banjo aren't good, you are legitimately a fucking retard.

>> No.4581003

>>4580985
OK you have a point there was a lot of great stuff for the N64 and there are piles of crap for pretty much every system

>> No.4581004

>>4580997
Here's your (you)

>> No.4581007

>>4580996
Hey I started the thread, but even I know the N64 didn’t have a perfect library.

>> No.4581009

>>4581007
>makes a thread about N64 being the best console ever
>goes out of his way to name a bunch of shovelware for no reason
What kind of retard is this?

>> No.4581013

>>4581000
Two were the rest on the N64

>> No.4581015

>>4581009
Says the retard that thinks Hexen is a good game. Go back to being a pleb. Ignoring you

>> No.4581019

>>4581015
Yeah exactly, you fucked up and outted yourself you falseflagging faggot. Don't even talk shit on Hexen, I guarantee you haven't played it.

>> No.4581020

>>4581009
Also Tetrisphere, Ogre Battle 64, Blast Corps, Doom 64, Goemon, Quake 2 are like 7/10 games. So whatever pleb.

>> No.4581023 [DELETED] 

>>4581020
>Also Tetrisphere, Ogre Battle 64, Blast Corps, Doom 64, Goemon, Quake 2 are like 7/10 games. So whatever pleb.
Lmao man, the shit rats are coming out of the woodwork today. Pretending to be N64 fans and talking about games they've never played. You guys really do worship the N64 big black dick.

>> No.4581025

why would you play the N64 version of Hexen though, it's the same game without the PC version's CD music

>> No.4581026

>>4581025
>why would you play the N64 version of Hexen though, it's the same game without the PC version's CD music
Yeah, it's also the same game without the shit PC controls and lack of splitscreen multiplayer. Are you too retarded to see the appeal of playing games on a console?

>> No.4581027

>>4580720

The entire board is dedicated to that, what the fuck are you doing here?

>> No.4581028

>>4581026
Why is everyone who disagrees with you a retard? Are you that ill mannered?

>> No.4581031

>>4581028
>Why is everyone who disagrees with you a retard? Are you that ill mannered?
You're the same pussy who was crying about me being mean to the MK64 kid aren't you? Didn't I tell you to go back to plebbit?

>> No.4581035
File: 314 KB, 1000x1271, duh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581035

>>4581026
are you ok? I didn't say anything about consoles, just the N64 version of Hexen. Also there's nothing wrong with the PC version's controls
>>4581023
>>4581020
nothing wrong with being a 7/10 game. if you think every game you like is 8+ your scale is out of wack

>> No.4581036

>>4581031
You are gonna end up having a lot of health problems if you don’t learn to take it easy.

>> No.4581039

>>4581036
Lmao I knew you were the same faggot. You're the kind of guy who has a female friend that you're in love with but gets fucked by other guys a lot, aren't you?

>> No.4581040 [DELETED] 

>>4581035
Why are you giving any rating to games you've never played? You just outted yourself as a shit rat. Either you are posing as OP, or you purposely created the thread just to bait replies and shit on the N64. You literally said it was the best console of all time and then said it wasn't your favorite. Stop being such a dense cunt, holy shit.

>> No.4581041

>>4581035
True, but 6/10 and 7/10 aren’t really memorable at least in my opinion they aren’t.

>> No.4581045

>>4581040
I do think it’s the best console. I will always think it’s the best console. That doesn’t mean I have to like every game on it.

>> No.4581046

>>4581040
are you imagining I'm someone else that you're talking to? are you hallucinating or something? are you off your meds?
>>4581041
a 7/10 game is a great game I'd say.

>> No.4581050

>>4581040
Thinking something is the best isn't the same as thinking something is perfect.

>> No.4581051

>>4581046
7/10 is not a great game. 9/10 and 10/10 are. Maybe your ratings are off.

>> No.4581053

>>4581050
Pretty sure if someone calls something "the best" you can assume it's that person's favorite you dumb faggot.

>> No.4581054

>>4581050
Thank you. Nothing is flawless.

>> No.4581059

>>4581051
10/10 is literal perfection, which is impossible, meaning 0 games are 10/10, meaning 5 is right in the middle. so a 6 is a good game, a 7 is a very good game, an 8 is an exceptionally good game, and a 9 is a masterpiece.
most people are afraid to give less than an 8 to anything they like and they overrate everything, basically destroying all meaning in a rating system. that's why all game critics inflate their scores so much, because they think people will think they're panning a game when they give it a 7.

>> No.4581065

>>4581059
>10/10 is literal perfection, which is impossible, meaning 0 games are 10/10

lol what? There have been tons of games given 10/10 by reviewers and websites. 6/10 and 7/10 are “ok” games 5/10 and 4/10 are bland and 3/10 and under are complete shit. That’s how I do mine, not sure how you do it.

>> No.4581071
File: 427 KB, 1024x768, trump-mj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581071

Top 5 consoles:
Mega Drive
Famicom
Saturn
Super Famicom
PC Engine

>> No.4581075

>>4581065
>lol what? There have been tons of games given 10/10 by reviewers and websites
doesn't necessarily mean they're actually 10/10s though
>That’s how I do mine, not sure how you do it.
I explained already

>> No.4581083

>>4581075
>I explained already

I posted my reply before reading everything you wrote.

If someone asked you to name your top 10 N64 games, I am sure none would be a 7/10 game.

>> No.4581110 [DELETED] 

>>4581059
>10/10 is literal perfection, which is impossible, meaning 0 games are 10/10,

And I got shit yesterday for thinking someone was just dumb rather than being sarcastic.

>> No.4581112

>>4581083
let's see
if exclusives only, no multiplats
also I might like a game more than another even though when trying to be objective I consider the one I prefer worse than the one I don't, so my ratings might not align with my personal rankings
1. F-Zero X 9/10
2. Super Smash Bros 9/10
3. Super Mario 64 9/10
4. Ocarina of Time 8/10 (my instinct is to give this one a 9 desu)
5. Mischief Makers 8/10
6. Paper Mario 8/10
7. Banjo Kazooie 8/10
8. Majora's Mask 7.5/10
9. Diddy Kong Racing 7/10
10. Star Fox 64 7/10

>> No.4581118

>>4581083
that reasoning is correct you. you can't logically give a 10/10 rating to something unless it is perfect, and it is impossible for a video game to be perfect. the closest you can get is something like Tetris, but even then you can nitpick areas where aesthetics could be improved or something.

>> No.4581120
File: 35 KB, 600x657, d33.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581120

>>4581059
>10/10 is literal perfection, which is impossible, meaning 0 games are 10/10,

And I got shit yesterday for thinking someone here was just dumb rather than being sarcastic.

>> No.4581258

>>4581118
lol Tetris.

>> No.4581302

>>4580757
All JRPGs are the same thing.

>> No.4581309

>>4581302
They are low tier games but saying this is pretty ignorant.

>> No.4581324

>>4580757
quest 64!

>> No.4581326

>>4580663
>>4580667
>rating things based on the fact if you grew up with it or not

>> No.4581352

I bet there are plenty of people who grew up with Atari and Intellivision and say they don't bother with that crap anymore but play third generation and up.

>> No.4581358

>>4580663
>Does any other millineal(1982-2000) consider this the best console ever?
There are a lot of muricans that gush about N64 games like Rare games, Zelda games, Smash, SM64 and MK64. Internet communites and Youtube are filled with those guys.

>> No.4581363

1987 and no. N64 was decent but PlayStation was a mile ahead of us.

Greatest console ever was the Colecovision. Suck it nerds.

>> No.4581367

>>4581001
CLASSIC

>> No.4581369 [DELETED] 
File: 1.76 MB, 1784x2392, SHIT_RAT_IDENTIFIED.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581369

>>4581367

>> No.4581371

N64 is the best

>> No.4581373

all I know is the next nintendo console was simply btfo in sales even by a new competitor
what does this means

>> No.4581375

>>4581373
Nintendo actually made more money all said and done, and created a better console with better games. What does this say?

>> No.4581380

>>4581375
>What does this say?
That Nintendo should be thankful to Gunpei Yokoi and the autists that made Pokemon.

>> No.4581384

>>4581380
Lmao, Super Mario 64 sold more units than the best selling game on PS1 despite having an installed userbase 1/3 the size. They were profitable on every single unit sold, meanwhile Sony was wasting $150 on every unit just to include a CD drive. Pretty sure it wasn't just about Pokemon.

>> No.4581385

N64 only had like, three good games.

Mario 64, Zelda 64, and uhhhhhh... that's it, actually.

>> No.4581389

>>4581385
You must have had no friends because while everybody was playing quake online all I knew was to turn on a console and play goldeneye

>> No.4581393

>>4581389
It was fun for the time, but it's a console FPS.

>> No.4581396

>>4581385
Yeah, just Mario and Zelda... and Banjo, and Doom, and Star Fox, and F-Zero, and Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark, and Wetrix, and Tetrisphere, and Blast Corps, and Jet Force Gemini, and Mario Kart, and Diddy Kong, and Donkey Kong, and Yoshi's Story, and Goemon, and Pokemon Stadium, and Turok, and Smash Bros, and 1080, and Conker, and Kirby, and Bomberman, and Mischief Makers, and Rayman, and Quake, and Harvest Moon... but yeah, outside of all those awesome games, literally nothing.

Lmao drink bleach you stupid faggot.

>> No.4581402

>>4581396
what about mario party
nintendo is about friendship

>> No.4581416

>>4581402
Which is why their last two entries had that car bullshit so no one felt bad while playing.

>> No.4581421

>>4581396
Banjo, DK 64, Conker, etc were all inferior to Mario 64, which was an actual good game with good movement, unlike the plastered on mechanics of a gorilla in a tie, whose selling point was a rap intro, that only halfway hides the fact it's really a watered-down Mario. You can bloat the "good" library by mentioning second-rate clones, and by that logic, the NES had about 700 good games.

You're throwing puzzle games into the list. And Pokemon. And sports games. Nintendo sports games, come on, we both know that's pathetic. And goddamn Harvest Moon.

Face the facts. Mario 64 was the only good game.

>> No.4581430

>>4581421
he even mentioned pokemon stadium LOL

>> No.4581448

>>4581421
While I somewhat agree with you, N64 does have some good games:

Extreme G 1 & 2
Shadowgate 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Chameleon Twist
Mario Party 1 - 3
F-Zero X
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Paper Mario
OoT
Majora's Mask
Goemons
Doom 64
Custom Robo
Hybrid Heaven
Kirby 64
Lylat Wars
Ridge Racer 64
Sin and Punishment

>> No.4581451

>>4581421
Not him but F-Zero X is definitely amazing. I also have a soft spot for Mischief Makers but I haven't played that since '08 so I can't say much here.

>> No.4581452

>>4581448
Mario Tennis is one of the more solid Nintendo games. The concept may seem lame but it's actually a very cool game. The Sakuraba score also adds to it.

>> No.4581454

>>4581448
I don't mean to be too relentless, but...

Getting stuck with Mario Golf while your friends are playing Resident Evil is why N64 kids will never stop being assfucked.

>> No.4581460

>>4581454
Not him but what you're doing right now is called cherry-picking.

>> No.4581471

>>4581454
Also not him but Resident Evil 2 is on N64 and while I've never played it myself I believe Mario Golf is really good. Non-realistic games which Nintendo had plenty of tend to hold up better over the years than realistic ones.

>> No.4581480

>>4581460
Replace Mario Golf with Bomberman 64, then. Or Paper Mario. Or Bomberman Hero.

Pit Diddy Kong's Racing against Twisted Metal 2. And while DK Racing may have aged better, we both know Nintendo kids are completely reamed over it, to this day.

They cling to what would have been second, and even third-string titles for the NES and SNES. And deep down, they know they bought into hype for a company that was beyond its peak.

>> No.4581489

>>4581480
I'm not a big fan of the N64 either, just saying your argument is weak. Plenty of people were envious of some of the N64's exclusives.

>> No.4581490
File: 1.85 MB, 220x220, okayretard.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581490

>>4581421
Let me tell you the "facts": you're a gay little boy with terrible taste who's shitting on a bunch of games he's never played. The very fact you'd even try and pretend something as quality as Harvest Moon is equatable to a bad game is pretty telling of your intentions. Nobody is "bloating" anything, the N64 has THE most highly rated games of all time and a lot more than just "Mario 64". I'm deeply sorry that you are too functionally retarded to derive enjoyment from games like Star Fox 64 and Perfect Dark, but it doesn't mean they're bad, it means you're a faggot. Your entire argument is predicated upon "b-but the N64 sucks because I said so", and not for actual lack of critically or socially acclaimed games. Go back to playing your faggot JRPGs and leave the good games to the rest of us.

>> No.4581491

>>4581480
>I don't really want a discussion I'm just a troll.

>> No.4581494

>>4581480
>shitting on GOAT Paper Mario
>meanwhile shilling Twisted Metal, a literal shovelware race with potato gameplay
is this retard for real or what

>> No.4581498

>>4581489
Not even Zelda generated envy. The only game that made Playstation kids do a double-take was Goldeneye. Which is actually shallow and overrated even when restricted to only console FPS games.

Tomb Raider may be a clunky nightmare, but Shadows of the Empire or Perfect Dark are horrible consolation prizes by comparison.

>> No.4581502

I honestly think that Nintendo died with the N64.
Dont get me wrong, there were some good games on that console, but they were like..3 or 4.
The controller was so confusing that i remember holding it upside down the first time i played with it.
And the lack of RPGs totally killed the N64 for me.
Even the biggest games on it were "meh" IMO: OoT, despite being an ok game, really didn't felt like "Zelda" and really didn't justified the purchase (ALTP was and still my favorite, along with Zelda 2), Mario 64 was impressive, blew my mind the first time i saw it but it really wasn't that fun to play, Mario Kart 64 controls were weird (but then, i didn't really like Mario Kart on the SNES before), Golden Eye was absolute trash for me, i still can't understand why kids liked it and still like it today.
The rest of the games were just mediocre racing stuff and collecthatons that i never cared much about.
Nintendo as "home console" died for me when it made the jump to 3D; other 3D consoles had some good games (ex: Wind Waker[GC], Galaxy1-2[WII], Tokyo Mirage Session [WII U]) but i can't really say "holy shit that console is awesome" like i used to do with the NES/FC and Super Nintendo/SFC or 3D consoles like the PS1 and PS2.
I don't hate it, but i barely even consider it a gaming console and i still can't understand why so many people love this thing.
Mine has been collecting dust (not really, since it's in a sealed bag) since 2001.
(Nintendo handhelds were awesome though, except for the Switch which i can say it's the first console i really fucking despise with all of my soul)

>> No.4581503

>>4581498
>Which is actually shallow and overrated even when restricted to only console FPS games.
Nah, Goldeneye is the second most influential FPS of all time (after Doom) for a reason.

>> No.4581505

>>4581498
>Not even Zelda generated envy.
LOL
THE BEST REVIEWED GAME OF ALL TIME DIDN'T GENERATE ENVY
L
O
L

Oh man, you really blew your load. That's it, nobody is going to take your bait seriously after this. Funniest shit I've ever heard in my life, seriously.

>> No.4581506 [DELETED] 

>>4581502
Shit-Rat Checklist:
>literal retard who couldn't even figure out which way to hold a controller
>only RPGs matter to him
>calls platformers collectathons
This >>4581369 is literally you. Why the fuck is Shit-Rat poster always so accurate?

>> No.4581507

>>4581503
Yeah, let's simply pretend half-life and quake don't exist.

>> No.4581508 [DELETED] 

>>4581506
i doubt its one guy but these memes absolutely btfo every gaystation fan and are always 100% accurate. crazy really

>> No.4581513

>>4581503
Wolf 3D is more influential. Half Life is more influential. Quake. Hell, even Duke Nukem is more influential.

Goldeneye isn't within a mile of most influential.

>>4581505
Kids didn't give a fuck. They knew they had Gran Turismo, they knew Wipeout was better than F-Zero, they knew they had all the RPGs and all the "mature" bs. Zelda didn't faze them.

Nobody wished they didn't have a PS because of Zelda, but a huge number of people wished they didn't have an N64 because of Final Fantasy VII. These are facts.

>> No.4581518 [DELETED] 

>>4581513
>Kids didn't give a fuck. They knew they had Gran Turismo, they knew Wipeout was better than F-Zero, they knew they had all the RPGs and all the "mature" bs. Zelda didn't faze them.
>Nobody wished they didn't have a PS because of Zelda, but a huge number of people wished they didn't have an N64 because of Final Fantasy VII. These are facts.
Lmfaoooooo nope sorry kid you blew your load. Too late.

>> No.4581523

>>4581513
>Wipeout was better than F-Zero
Very different games other than being from the same genre and having a similar aesthetic style.

>> No.4581525

>>4581518
I was there. Zelda was a good game, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't generate envy.

NIntendo kids were literally crying when their Final Fantasy sneak peaks were torn away from them and taken to Sony. The reverse is simply not true, although they were dazzled by Mario for a short while.

>> No.4581526

>>4581507
>>4581513
Goldeneye was the first popular realistic style FPS though. It popularized realistic FPS mechanics like reloading, body part target location, in-engine storytelling, first person stealth mechanics, etc.

It might not have invented literally all of these, but it was the first popular shooter to have 'em. And it's older than Half-Life. Quake only popularized online deathmatches. Every other of its 'innovations' were already in Doom.

>> No.4581527 [DELETED] 

>>4581525
Faggot, you didn't listen to me. You're done. You cucked yourself. Your argument has been discarded. Stop crying and dry your eyes.

>> No.4581528

>>4581526
>Quake only popularized online deathmatches
lol

>> No.4581535

>>4581523
F-Zero, despite being a launch title, knocked out every game its entire generation. And it was a long and highly competitive generation.

The music was better than everything. The aesthetics were better than everything. It controlled tighter than everything. The whole generation. It was a timeless classic. But the franchise wasn't treated like a timeless classic, and every game since has been an erratic mashup of a generic arcade racer plus mario kart.

F-Zero should have given no hope for Wipeout, which was a flawed title but moved in on territory that belonged to F-Zero. The futuristic racing vibe belonged to F-Zero. It took over that, it took over dominating in music an aesthetics and tight controls to master. It beat F-Zero at its own game while its developers were making it in to a Sanic meme.

>> No.4581540

>>4581535
>implying F-Zero GX isn't fucking incredible
you are a legit retard

>> No.4581545

>>4581527
So after years of absolutely crushing the N64, the people who bought the Playstation were filled with remorse...

...because a Zelda game was released? /:)

>> No.4581548

>>4581540
It didn't even remotely live up to what F-Zero on the SNES was. It is to F-Zero what Dragon Age 2 is to Icewind Dale.

>> No.4581550
File: 77 KB, 439x416, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581550

>>4581506
>calls platformers collectathons
Yeah, do you remember having to move around in a sluggish 3D enviroment while forced to collect countless items that literally added nothing to the game just to progress through the game in the platformers for the previous consoles?
Collecthatons were a type of platformers that started and died with the first generation of 3D consoles. Today those are literally shovelware-tier games.
>only RPGs matter to him
I didn't even talked about RPGs but yeah okay, let's pretend that those aren't important to extend the console life cycle.
>literal retard who couldn't even figure out which way to hold a controller
Weird thing that they're still making new controllers for your awesome consoles in 2018, eh?
>sony shit-rat
Keep your shitty memes to yourself, i own and will play on any console, i don't stick to brands: i even didn't said the N64 is shit, i just can't take it seriously as a gaming console, pretty much like all the rubbish Nintendo has been pushing out after it.

>> No.4581554

>>4581545

You're pretty underage if you don't think that didn't happen.

I remember the EGM issue showing off OoT at E3, they wrote a small book on the game, everyone wanted to read it just for that game, and other magazines did the same. Gaming forums and chat rooms basically just talked about Zelda for a week.

>> No.4581558

The neo geo is better than the 64. The saturn is better than the 64. The playstation is better than the 64. The 64 is overrated. Nintendo is overrated.

>> No.4581560

>>4581535
>>4581548
You haven't played the series much, haven't you? F-Zero is amazing indeed, but X and GX are much better games due to having 3D tracks with vertical design, much more advanced controls and having multiplayer.
X is one of the best 5th gen games ever with its smooth performance, and GX is among the best modern games ever.
And, again, Wipeout so differently I don't know why you even bring that up.
Just FYI, I had a PlayStation back then.

>> No.4581561

>>4581554
Playstation was in tens of millions of homes, the vast majority haven't heard of E3 to this day. The people who were enthusiastic enough to care at all, because the N64 at that point wasn't generating much hype, already had both consoles.

Just like most people who cared by the time the 4th gen victor emerged already had both the SNES and Genesis.

You know what did generate envy by the heaps, though? The fact it took so goddamned long to get released.

>> No.4581562

>>4580663
>Does any other millineal(1982-2000) consider this the best console ever?
For me, that distinction goes to the Sega CD.

>> No.4581564

>>4581560
Wipeout plays*

>> No.4581567

>>4581561
>Playstation was in tens of millions of homes, the vast majority haven't heard of E3 to this day.

So was the N64 and the second part is just wrong.

You are very underage.

>> No.4581571

>>4581560
>but X and GX are much better.

Stopped reading. You have no clue what you're talking about and the sales figures reflect the fact the franchise lost its magic.

>> No.4581573

>>4581567
The N64 had a fraction of sales. Stop frontin.

>> No.4581578

>>4581513
>Wolf 3D is more influential. Half Life is more influential. Quake. Hell, even Duke Nukem is more influential.
>Goldeneye isn't within a mile of most influential.

Objectively false on all counts.

>> No.4581584

>>4581578
You must really think Time Splitters counts for something, man.

>> No.4581587

>>4581573

So what? It was still in tens of millions of homes.

How in the fuck does that change the fact that kids that only had a playstation really wanted to play Zelda? All of the playstation kids heard about it and knew that it was a good game. Most of them were still teenagers with sensitive egos, like you, so they would try to defend FF7 as though it would make their dicks bigger. I wonder why you would go to such lengths to make up stuff about late 90s gaming...

>> No.4581592

>>4581587
It's just something that didn't happen. It was far too late in the generation, and Playstation dominated way too hard to induce envy.

>> No.4581594

>>4581571
>sales figures
FIFA 18 shits on everything then.

>> No.4581595

>>4581587
The only teenager with a sensitive ego is you.

>> No.4581597

>>4581584
If you think Goldeneye only influenced Timesplitters you must be really really stupid.

It was a game changer that signaled to the entire game industry that you could make a commercially successful FPS without cloning Doom.

>> No.4581603
File: 111 KB, 497x640, 1469987219875.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581603

>>4581597
>It was a game changer
It was real in your mind.

>> No.4581605

>>4580663
n64 has a small as fuck library but makes up for it by having a larger percentage of good games. cartridges suck though, music is much lower quality and textures are fucking horrible nightmares that need to be smeared with vaseline to not look like shit, in addition to the horrible blurry AA filter on every game. the controller is also a poorly-made piece of shit that slowly destroys itself as you play, holy fuck how was this even acceptable?

>> No.4581607

>>4581597
That is, it was to FPSes what Final Fantasy was to RPGs.

>> No.4581610
File: 951 KB, 2392x3248, egm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581610

>>4581592

No, it was definitely something that happened. "Late in the generation" doesn't mean anything, we're talking about what people want, not what sales figures are going to finally tally, your argument means nothing outside of neogaf.

>> No.4581615

>>4581607
You mean console FPS, which is pretty much worthless anyway.

>> No.4581621
File: 112 KB, 666x275, thief_goldeneye.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581621

>>4581603
>>4581615
Alright, keep up your historical revisionism. You're only lying to yourselves after all.

>> No.4581624

98... 98
Oh yeah I was excited by Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid, Grim Fandango, Brood war and fallout 2

>> No.4581625

>>4581621
Thief wasn't an FPS game though, nor was it multiplayer.

>> No.4581631

>>4581610
Nah. It kinda matters when one console has a mountain of games while you wait for _the one_ game to come out. That was supposed to be a launch title, but only got released after the entire console was crushed.

It kinda means something.

>> No.4581632

>>4581621
>thief
>FPS

If your only example isn't an FPS then aren't you admitting that your argument is bullshit?

>> No.4581634

>>4581624

You ran out of arguments so you try to pull just anything out of your ass? Okay.

By the way I played those games, too. Except I, like millions of other people, got to play a really good Zelda game as well, and you clearly didn't. Ahahaha

>> No.4581640

>>4581112
Ocarina is a perfect 10

>> No.4581642

>>4581634
Except I did and you're replying to me thinking I'm someone else.

>> No.4581652

>>4581640
No.

>> No.4581653

>>4581631

Nope, not true, OoT was planned as a launch title to the N64DD, not the N64.

And please, keep going, try to explain how you're not jealous of the good game that you can't play.

>But my system is more popular

I don't even have a stake in this race but ahahahaha what an absolute bitch-made statement.

>> No.4581656 [DELETED] 

>>4581550
>I didn't even talked about RPGs
Yeah actually you did you illiterate Eurotrash retard. "The lack of RPGs killed it for me", that's literally what you said. Are you fucking touched in the head?

>> No.4581662

>>4581625
>>4581632
Was just making the point that it wasn't limited to 'console FPS'. Goldeneye's influence is obvious simply by looking at the games that came before and after it came out. Not going to make a case for the obvious.

I mean if you want to name a commercial successful FPS that came out before Goldeneye and had realistic gameplay, then go ahead and name it.

>> No.4581665

>>4581653
I was an N64 kid who played the shit out of the mediocre games, also OoT.

I just also knew I got my ass kicked and got a playstation, too.

>> No.4581668

You know what the worst thing about the N64 was? Not the self-destroying controller, not the vaseline, not the complete lack of several genres. I had one near launch, and let me explain to you... it was the waiting. The waiting between all these solid games everyone likes to list was atrocious. It was unacceptable.

Maybe the Playstation had an ocean of 7/10s instead of a few killer apps, but you know what? I'll take that RotK. I'll take that Kagero. Because at least the content was coming out on a consistent basis.

>> No.4581674
File: 1.91 MB, 292x273, shut-up.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581674

Is it me or is vr filled with teens and early 20 year olds who couldn't possibly remember the impact games like MGS, Goldeneye and OOT had at the time? OOT at christmas blew my balls off. Magazines, walkthroughs etc. It was fucking magical. wtf is up with vr?

>> No.4581676

I'm still waiting for Earthbound 64.

>> No.4581678

>>4581668
Nigger if you were "waiting" for good games then you didn't buy any. The N64 had at least one huge game every quarter of every year with plenty of good stuff to pad it out, and we both fucking know that unless you were already an employed 30 year old manchild at the time you weren't get dozens of games ever year. Stop with this revisionist history bullshit.

>> No.4581679 [DELETED] 

>>4581662
Like Gaylo. What a nice influence it had, destroying FPS eueheueh

>> No.4581681

>>4581678
N64 Defense Force, chiming in.

>> No.4581682

>>4581674
To give you an example, earlier in this thread, some retarded 17 year old argued that the characters in Mario Kart 64 were 3D models, not sprites, and refused to believe otherwise.

These are the people you're dealing with. Remember that.

>> No.4581684

>>4581678
>4 games per year
No wonder N64 fans gush over banana collectors.

>> No.4581685
File: 901 KB, 234x198, Stallone omfg.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581685

>>4581678
Exactly! I have about three years of offical nintendo magazine that just proves that cunt has know idea what he's talking about.

>> No.4581686

>>4581674

But anon, the N64 sold less.

>> No.4581690 [DELETED] 

>>4581681
PS1 Shit-Rat >>4581001 already at his station.

>> No.4581691

>>4581665
I went the pc route. My brother and I sold our n64 before its lifetime was over. The only thing I regret is I didn't get to play Majora's mask at the time since I enjoyed OoT very much but overall my voodoo 3 was worth it.

>> No.4581694

>>4581686
What the fuck does a console selling have to do with a game? Do you realize that SM64 sold more than the PS1's best selling game Gran Turismo despite having 1/3 as many console units? Lay off the paint chips retardoid.

>> No.4581698
File: 1.78 MB, 273x189, ReviewBruh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581698

>>4581679
Gaylo??? Again, you younger gamers cant have been around at the time, or at least way too young to play the games. Getting my xbox with halo is a day i'll never forget. so cringe listening to you lads.

>> No.4581702

>>4581694
Not surprising since the launch lineup consisted of Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. What else were people going to buy?

>> No.4581703 [DELETED] 

>>4581685
There's no arguing with them, seriously. Shit rats are one of the most vile creatures to walk the earth. They are highly weaponized autistics that scream and scream about the N64 having nothing but "Mario and Zelda" while simultaneously pretending that their little grey box was worth owning for cringe JRPGs and shovelware platformers. Absolutely some of the stupidest """people""" alive, every one of them.

I really like the new term "shit rat" honestly, it perfectly describes them. Greasy little faggots that are content eating shit.

>> No.4581710

>>4581702
>Not surprising since the launch lineup consisted of Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. What else were people going to buy?
According to you "the N64 sold less" so that shouldn't matter, right faggot? Lmao, keep backpedaling. 100 million units compared to 33m units, and the PS1 couldn't even sell more games. That's how shit its games were.

>> No.4581716

>>4581703
Someone seems a lot more mad than the other party.

>> No.4581718
File: 1.28 MB, 480x260, Babysitter 2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581718

>>4581703
Hear hear. What's their fucking problem. Is it that they're so angry they missed the 90s that they got to piss on the things we loved back then?

>> No.4581720

>>4581710
It had a variety of games. Hence people not buying the only software available. You know, niche interests.

>> No.4581728

>>4581718
This is the 100% honest truth: they've been worshiping the Nintendick since day 1. They saw all the cool games that the other kids had, and always had to be content with the knockoffs. Their entire childhood was spent playing literal shit-tier platformers and RPGs and they've always been jealous. I was lucky enough to have grown up with both consoles, but let me tell you, the PS1 would have sat in a storage bin 99% of the time were it not for my brother playing it. I was always on the N64 and the PS1 was an absolutely cucked manlet console in every way.

>> No.4581734

>>4581720
Or, you know, it just didn't have very good games.

>> No.4581736

>>4581668
>The waiting between all these solid games everyone likes to list was atrocious
It wasn't so bad.

In late 1996 you had Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold and Shadows of the Empire to tide you over.

Early 1997 you had
Blast Corps
Doom 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter

Admittedly there wasn't much in the middle of the year other than Star Fox 64, but all those games could surely tide you over to towards the end where you had
Goldeneye
Diddy Kong Racing
San Francisco Rush
Mischief Makers
Tetrisphere
Top Gear Rally

>> No.4581738

>>4581734
The games were so bad nobody wanted the ps2. The gamecube, on the other hand, was very sought upon.

>> No.4581739

>>4581734
I'll take Compile's swan song over Star Fox 64 any day.

>> No.4581747

>>4581739
I'm sure you would, because you have shit taste. Moving on...
>>4581738
Keep on moving those goalposts faggot boy. Now we're onto the PS2? Oh yeah, the console that was marketed as a cheap DVD player and came out 1-2 years before the other two.

>> No.4581749

>>4581694

Anon, it's called sarcasm.

Did you need a reaction image to go with it or something?

>> No.4581750

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_games_(fifth_generation)

Granted, Mario 64 was the game of that generation and deserves the spot. Best selling games is overall dominated by Playstation.

>> No.4581751
File: 1015 KB, 1280x550, 1513913616435.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581751

>>4581747
>compile is shit taste

>> No.4581752

>>4581747
Yeah, let's keep on moving. Let's look at those wonderful franchises, Mario and Zelda, look how well they sold at the best-selling nintendo console of all time compared to, humm, what are those games again?

>> No.4581753

>>4581710
The console totals are pretty misleading anyhow. At the time the N64 was discontinued, Sony had only sold about 70 million PS1s. Where did they sell the remaining 30 million?

The answer is countries with lower socioeconomic status where piracy rates were high. People bought only the hardware and not the software.

>> No.4581754
File: 70 KB, 940x529, lionsgate-2001194-100181-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1483993497664._RI_SX940_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581754

>>4581710
I love how people say all the n64 had at launch was mario 64!! lol. Like that wasn't enough. Anyone who says this wasn't around back then. mario 64 nuked the industry. and if you were lucky enough to get it at launch knows how much it blew us away. going from mario world and lion king on megadrive to mario 64......these young fags have no perspective.

>> No.4581759

>>4581754
>Like that wasn't enough.
It wasn't. You buy hardware for games (plural.)

>> No.4581761

>>4581750
Out of the two top 10 selling lists, PS1 had about 74m in sales, N64 had about 60m in sales. A difference of 14m game units, with a difference of roughly 70m console units...

Do you have any idea how pathetic that is on Sony's part?

>> No.4581762

>>4581754
Mario 64 was what carried the N64, definitely, for the entire lifespan of the console.

>> No.4581765

>>4581761
Not really, because the Playstation had more than 10 games.

>> No.4581767

>>4581753
Not to mention it came out 2 years before the N64. All of this is laughable anyway because N64 made a metric fuckton of money for Nintendo, meanwhile Sony was losing money on every console sold.

>> No.4581770

>>4581698
Couch console FPS games... So yeah, Gaylo was a sucessor to Goldeneye.

>> No.4581772

>>4581767
It was an expensive venture, but one that permanently bled Nintendo of its third-party developers.

>> No.4581773

>>4581762
lol no. There were some issues alright with games for a while, that's why a lot of people held off until later to get the N64. Also the price of hardware and cartridges didn't come down as expected, that's the only reason the PS won the generation. Pilotwings 64 was also a great triple A game. Once the N64 got going there was no stopping it, to this day regarded as one of the best consoles of all time.

>> No.4581781
File: 8 KB, 256x264, 1487457224557.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581781

>>4581772
Which Nintendo deserved in every way by personally offending the CEO of Sony with their bullshit.

>> No.4581782

shit... I wish I had thought of the word Gaylo years ago, would have used it a lot.

>> No.4581783
File: 37 KB, 224x423, Norman Wisdom 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581783

>>4581762
Banjo
Conker
Goldeneye
Body Harvest
Silicon Valley
starfox
f zero
mario kart
ocarina
majora mask
perfect dark
banjo tooie
doom 64
shadows of empire
Rouge squadron


i could just go on and on...

>> No.4581785

>>4581781
The Nintendo Playstation would have legit been the greatest console of all time. :(

>> No.4581787

>>4581772
>It was an expensive venture, but one that permanently bled Nintendo of its third-party developers.
No, it was literally the opposite of expensive, it was incredibly lucrative. Combined with Pokemon/GBC sales, Nintendo literally made so much profit in that one generation that they still have enough hard cash to survive for the next 20 years even if they were at a net loss every single one of those years. Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party developers, look at where we are today -- SJW ridden faggotry with potato gameplay. Big fucking loss. They still managed to keep the only worthwhile developers on-board for the 6th gen and gave us the holy grail Resident Evil 4, so frankly none of this bullshit matters.

>> No.4581789

>>4581773
It isn't even nitendo's best console.

>> No.4581791

>>4581785
Reminder that Secret of Mana was butchered because of Nintendo.

>> No.4581792

>>4581783
Mario 64 clones didn't in fact carry the console.

Goldeneye carried it during the end, though.

>> No.4581794
File: 103 KB, 620x863, wierd science.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581794

>>4581770
As oppose to what? Half life? Halo shits all over half life and dont dare tell me half life 2 didn't take a bunch of shit from halo. half life 2 wouldn't be as we know it if it wasn't for goldeneye and halo. like it or not. newfag.

>> No.4581795

>>4581792
Banjo-Kazooie is the only game on anon's list that could even be slightly construed as a "Mario 64 clone". Holy fuck why are PS1 fans so fucking stupid.

>> No.4581798

>>4581787
It was an expensive venture (for Sony), but one that permanently bled Nintendo of its third-party developers.

To this day, Nintendo is relegated to a peripheral spot in game consoles because of Sony's expensive daredevil takeover of the industry.

>> No.4581802

>>4581794
>calling everyone underage newfags when /vr/ is known for being as gray-haired as /tg/
Not being able to understand other people's perspectives is a sign of autism btw.

>> No.4581804

>>4581767

No, anon, no console manufacturer sells consoles at a loss after a few years except Microsoft with the original xbox. There's no way Sony lost any money on any PSX sold after the PS2 release, that's just a dumb investment. The cost of making these things plummets pretty quickly after release.

>> No.4581805

>>4581794
I dislike Half Life just as much, don't worry.
I was into arena FPS stuff like Quake III / UT back then.

>> No.4581807

>>4581798
Lmao dude, Sony's game division has yet to be profitable. The PS3 alone almost destroyed their games division, and the PS4 is still trying to make up for lost profit. You're conflating sales numbers with profit, and the fact is, sales numbers don't mean shit. They don't effect how much money a company makes, they don't effect what the experience of the end user is. Nintendo is profitable on every console they sell and makes a shit ton of money producing and manufacturing their own games, meanwhile shrimp dick Sony sits around blowing money on open world meme games that make no profit and continue to sink further and further into debt. This is reality my dude.

>> No.4581812
File: 77 KB, 800x800, d-capri-ora200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581812

>>4581792
But back then we didn't see games as carrying the consoles. Back then there wern't these bitter little fucks who were jealous of us experiencing the goldenage of gaming. we sipped our capri suns and played goldeneye, read some tips in our mags then watched some nicktoons or toon disney.

>> No.4581818

>>4581804
Who said anything about PS2 era? We're talking about while these two consoles were on market. No shit, last gen consoles are cheap to produce after they've been around for 5 or 6 years... whoopdie doo. Point is, for 80% of the PS1's life, Sony lost money on it. They just wanted market penetration. The CD drive alone added a $150 cost to every unit, meanwhile the $199 N64 was profitable from day 1.

>> No.4581819

>>4581807
I'm not talking about sales or profit, but the fundamental change in relationship to game devs that Sony forced onto Nintendo, that Nintendo will never win back.

The fact Sony does it while managing considerable risk only makes it more impressive.

>> No.4581821

>>4581805
Those are very different types of games mate. They also came out over two years after Goldeneye.

>> No.4581826 [DELETED] 

>>4581819
Except you're pretending that these relationships actually mean anything. I don't know if you play many modern games, but they're dog shit dude. A bunch of shit MOBAs, open world shooters and team FPS games with microtransactions and cosmetic DLC. It's absolute garbage. Nintendo doesn't need that. Would it have been nice for them to have more support during 6th and 7th gen? Sure, but there's nothing impress about holding on to a bunch of trannies making games in 2018. That's the absolute truth.

>> No.4581828
File: 241 KB, 850x500, 1515872553766.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581828

>>4581812
>capri suns
>nicktoons
You're not doing yourself any favors, anon.

>> No.4581831

>>4581826
You frothing moron, what do transwomen have to do with any of this?

>> No.4581834
File: 180 KB, 634x507, n64_rdram.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581834

As the anon above said, PS1 hardware would definitely have been sold for an easy profit by the time the PS2 came out.

But it's also true that for many years it was sold for a loss. It was much more expensive to manufacture the PS1 as compared to the N64. Not only does the PS1 have a CD-ROM drive, but it also has a lot more chips on the board.

Nintendo designed the N64 at the absolute cheapest cost anybody could ever manage. It was the ultimate peak in cost-cutting. One RAM pool for the whole console. Also the RAM chosen was extremely cheap. Don't even put a sound chip, let the GPU do it, etc. Nintendo would have made MAD dosh selling N64 hardware, the margins would have been crazy.

>> No.4581836

>>4581831
The fact that they're the ones making your games you willful faggot.

>> No.4581839
File: 29 KB, 640x434, pspps3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581839

>>4581807
>Lmao dude, Sony's game division has yet to be profitable.

You shouldn't post bullshit that anybody can fact check.

FYI 2006 and 7 were particularly bad not only because of the PSP and PS3, but because Sony as a whole was diverting cash from SCE and their insurance division to other parts of the company. But it was still pretty bad those years.

>> No.4581840
File: 70 KB, 970x546, weird science 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581840

>>4581828
Go watch high school musical, faggot. i'm trying to paint a picture to you young haters as to what it was like back then. we didn't surf the internet looking at shit we was too young for, nor were we watching some youtuber flim a dead body.

>> No.4581841

>>4581836
If it weren't for trannies, we wouldn't have Mednafen. Stop being a disrespectful faggot.

>> No.4581843
File: 13 KB, 294x442, 1516579828077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581843

>>4581831
>trans
>women

>> No.4581845

>>4581840
>I'm trying to paint a picture to you young haters as to what it was like back then
Except I'm 32.

>> No.4581846 [DELETED] 

>>4581841
No, fuck you and your apologism. Faggots are literally ruining this industry. Also, no big surprise a retard like you would be emulating instead of playing real hardware.

>> No.4581850

>>4581839
Nice sourceless bar graph retardo.

>> No.4581851

>>4581846
>emulating instead of playing real hardware
You can do both. Oh, but shades of gray are hard to understand for autists. My apologies.

>> No.4581852

>>4581851
>shades of gray
Well, you are the gender bender here, so you know all about that don't you?

>> No.4581853

>>4581850

Nice source in >>4581807

>> No.4581857
File: 446 KB, 517x768, untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581857

>>4581852
>Well, you are the gender bender here, so you know all about that don't you?
absolutely savage

>> No.4581860 [DELETED] 

>>4581841
Holy FUCK

Based shit rat poster >>4581369
is right AGAIN

THEY REALLY DO WANT TO BE WOMEN LOL!!!

>> No.4581861

>>4581840

You need to go back, anon.

>> No.4581862

>>4581821
Quake 1 came earlier, and this is all around the same time, but OK.
And yeah, the are "different". But tell me, what kind of FPS became the norm afterward? That's right, the Gaylo stuff.

>> No.4581863

>>4581852
You think a percent of a percent of the population has the pull to negatively impact an industry which has eclipsed Hollywood? You're an idiot. You're creating a bogeyman in your head. It's not real.

>> No.4581864

>>4581845
then ky. you probably grew up in a crack den.

>> No.4581867 [DELETED] 

>>4581369
shit rat poster, i dont know who you are, or where youre from, but you are doing gods work and you are a living prophet.

>> No.4581868

>>4581834
>Nintendo designed the N64 at the absolute cheapest cost anybody could ever manage. It was the ultimate peak in cost-cutting. One RAM pool for the whole console. Also the RAM chosen was extremely cheap. Don't even put a sound chip, let the GPU do it, etc. Nintendo would have made MAD dosh selling N64 hardware, the margins would have been crazy.

Nintendo did not cheap out at all, how do you think N64s work perfectly to this day while PSones have shit longevity and durability like all Sony consoles? The N64 is a stripped down supercomputer, they had to make cuts. It's possibly the most dramatic, craziest route a major console has ever taken and it worked. That is why games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Doom 64 etc. were possible on the console. Entitled PC faggots assume the PC was always better for FPS games and think they can argue it anyway but it wasn't for this brief period of time, also PC would also cost far over a thousand the best you'd get was Quake which is good but not as fun as Goldeneye.

>> No.4581869

>>4581861
back where?

>> No.4581870 [DELETED] 

>>4581863
Not him but it's called a vocal minority you stupid faggot, and yes, that's how politics works. I guess the fact there are, literally, gay and autistic characters in Overwatch isn't enough proof for you? Also lmaoing at you for even trying to come back after that burn. Why are trannies so fucking stupid?

>> No.4581874 [DELETED] 
File: 64 KB, 709x538, 124395060683.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581874

>>4581369
This is legit the funniest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Fucking spot on dude.

>> No.4581878

>>4581863

Anon, you're replying to a troll that always comes on at this time for a couple of hours. He replies to himself, forces memes, etc, for a couple of hours, wait until 7 or so.

This board now runs on the same standards as 2008 /v/.

>> No.4581884

>>4581369
>1887-MYN64
kek

>> No.4581887
File: 20 KB, 374x534, wrong.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581887

>>4581878
>This board now runs on the same standards as 2008 /v/.
Everything comes to an end, doesn't it.

>> No.4581892

While we're jerking off the N64 I'll ask for N64 advice

My friends and I are going through games on the N64 at our dorm room, playing/passing controllers while we commentate/talk/shoot the shit. We'll probably pick up some multiplayer soon, but in the meantime, add to the list of games we're going through because they're really just essential N64 games at the moment

SM64
Conker
Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie
Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

>> No.4581894 [DELETED] 

>>4581878
You can keep trying to run away, but the red gaze of Robo-Yamauchi will always be behind you. You've finally been outed as what you really are: a rat that eats shit straight from Sony's ass. You might think it's one person, it's not. The people are awakening. It's growing. It will be the next soy. There is nothing you will ever be able to do to stop it. Your time has come to an end. You are, and will forever be, a shit rat.

>> No.4581898 [DELETED] 

It seems counter-intuitive, but apparently the Nintendo 64 is the console of choice for the alt-right.

>> No.4581902
File: 25 KB, 640x480, yellow-snes-plastic-640x480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581902

>>4580663
I'm sure reading this thread will make me angry because someone out there is honestly making a case for Sega CD or some such nonsense at the expense of everything else but I would hope at this point in /vr/'s timeline that we can appreciate the good all around without falling into such dichotomies. You wouldn't say "cheese is the best food, therefore chocolate sucks," but rather "cheese is my favorite food and I prefer it to chocolate." The criteria is your enjoyment, not specs or number of titles.

That said, my personal favorite is SNES. It was my first console which I'm sure factors in hugely. I respect and enjoy the challenge of NES games and the creativity / weirdness that came from the limitations of hardware; as a kid and now it makes you dig into your imagination more than what came after, and the games have an ineffable coziness that grows with time.

The 64 was a great intro into 3d and party games with solid titles in its own right, and it was at least as big a deal in my childhood as the SNES. I'll never forget Christmas '96 loading up Mario 64 on the big screen and just being blown away.

But I suppose SNES for me is the pinnacle of the 2d console era in terms of graphics, sound, and quality titles. I simply prefer 2d games in general -- something about the pixels and look is more appealing to me than 3d. Also the controllers and hence controls are a happy medium between the spartan NES controller and the wacky 64 one. It lacked a bit in challenge, but one could argue this was partially a correction owing to fewer technical limitations than the NES. They could have made games harder still (and did, in Japan) but it was a business consideration ("hard isn't fun and won't sell").

There are also many bad titles on it, so many that the number of good ones feels small even though there are plenty. Still, my +1's gotta be my boy SNES.

>> No.4581905

>>4581898

It's just one guy, anon, and it's way more likely it's just his first system. It doesn't mean he actually still plays it today.

>> No.4581918

it's kinda funny how an N64 thread can filled with so much rage.

>> No.4581924

>>4581902
>I'm sure reading this thread will make me angry because someone out there is honestly making a case for Sega CD or some such nonsense
Why is it nonsense? The Sega CD was the pinnacle of 2D gaming: near unlimited space for sprites, CD quality audio, voice acting, anime intros/cut-scenes, and most importantly, localization was better, with the American SNES missing a huge number of iconic games in its library. Not even trolling.

>> No.4581925

>>4581918

It's kinda hard to follow, but it looks like it's just one or two trolls.

>> No.4581935

>>4580768
Be nice now, simmer down

>> No.4581941

>>4581924
I honestly meant to put "Sega Saturn." But I still wouldn't rank it so highly since I can't name a single title. I'm sure it has some good titles but if you read my post it's not merely about ever-increasing graphics and specs. SNES sits in a comfy aesthetic realm that I enjoy most.

>> No.4581943 [DELETED] 

>>4581898
>the Nintendo 64 is the console of choice for the alt-right
Authoritarian control freaks, just like Nintendo. Completely lacking in friends (or third parties.)

>> No.4581945

>>4581935
lolwut

>> No.4581949 [DELETED] 
File: 1.76 MB, 1784x2392, SHIT_RAT_IDENTIFIED.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4581949

>>4581943
Be honest, how does it feel to be a spermguzzling beta male that loves trannies?

>> No.4581984 [DELETED] 

Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with left or right. I reckon ps/xbox attracts more faggoty sjw meme/fake gamers though.

>> No.4582034
File: 895 KB, 480x270, kden.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4582034

>>4581656
>And the lack of RPGs totally killed the N64 for me.
>for me
What's so hard about this to understand?
Plus, Nintendo had a pretty hardcore RPG community because of the huge RPG titles on the two previous consoles: the fact that the N64 didn't had any of these meant that part of that community was left out; a console it's supposed to cater to every kind of gamer in order to be successful: this is why the PS3 still sell games even after the release of PS4; PS3 library is HUGE and you'll find every kind of game in there, pretty much like the SFC library.

I didn't said it's the fucking 3DO, im just saying that it had a really bad and small library compared to the PS1 which included every kind of games: i can't understand how an adult in 2018 can even enjoy most of the games it has to offer. (except for Mario 64 which is kept alive by the modding scene)
But yeah, you can keep replying as an edgy retard instead of contributing to the discussion if that makes you happy; im not here to judge i guess.

>> No.4582116

so like.

microtransactions became a thing because of girldick? and that's why the N64 is better than the playstation?

>> No.4582124

It's the best multiplayer console

But I think the 'best console' is either NES, SNES or PS2. GBA is the best portable BY FAR, even though the DS and PSP are really high quality

>> No.4582478

>>4580663
>millineal

go away

>> No.4582605

>>4581924
And credit where it's due, I do agree we lost out on many good titles but in my consideration I include what's available now through emulation, and the Japanese titles we missed just reinforce my affinity for the SNES. Many great games on Sega and Sony consoles as well, but that would've been too long a post and I admittedly paid more attention to Nintendo's legacy titles and properties.

>> No.4582613
File: 40 KB, 414x414, IMG_3842.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4582613

I find the N64 to be Nintendo at its finest for a multitude of reasons.

>> No.4582619

>>4580672
The Gamecube was a pathetic console but people act like it’s a 10/10 now because they can just immediately buy all the Nintendo games for it and not worry about anything third party.

>> No.4582642

>>4581868
What I meant is that Nintendo trimmed it down to get the best possible performance for the lowest cost.

Only disadvantage was that the consequence of what Nintendo did is it made the system really hard to program. Like, by using a single channel of RAMBUS, programmers had to manually synchronise the various components so they perfectly pass the RAM access baton to each other and don’t all go for it at the same time.

>> No.4582650

>>4582613
Name em

>> No.4582653

>>4582619
I fail to see a problem with that.

>> No.4582654

>>4580663
I'm sure there are others like you because let's face it, there are a a fuckton of tards out there.

>> No.4582656

>>4582034

Snes and NES didn't have that many RPGs, neither did Sega equivalents. Shit really exploded on PS1 though, but then died down in the following gens.

>> No.4582660

I've never been overly fond of 5th gen consoles and games, but I do very much remember the giant wall of PS1 games at Electronics Boutique and the little shelf with ten N64 games on it.

>> No.4582665

>>4580663
I'm a millennial (1988) and the nes is my favorite, followed by the ps1.

>> No.4582667

>>4582660
>curated selection vs shovelware trash

>> No.4582671

>>4582667
FF VII and Spyro were shovelware?

>> No.4582675

The N64 and Saturn were both overly ambitious consoles that tried to do things in excess of period technological capabilities and both had narrowly-focused libraries due to braindead marketing, in Nintendo's case because they wanted to appeal to 5 year olds and Sega because they wanted to appeal to white trash and dudebros.

>> No.4582682

>>4582671
Shining gems in a sea of trash. Even though I don’t like either game that much.

>> No.4582683

The N64 was the beginning of Nintendo consoles being relegated to a niche Mario/Pokemon box.

>> No.4582685

>>4582682
>Shining gems in a sea of trash

Which specific PS1 games are junk?

>> No.4582689

>>4582685
We would be here all day if I had to list them all.

>> No.4582693

>>4582685
The PS1 library is so big that even if you listed just the A-list games and excluded shovelware, you'd still have 2-3x as many games as the N64.

>> No.4582697

>>4580663
>>4582154
>>4580091
>>4581296
>>4581296

Why do we need 20 of these spam threads?

>> No.4582698
File: 143 KB, 599x627, ls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4582698

>>4582675
>dudebros

>> No.4582813

>>4582653
You probably have shit taste in games, then.

>> No.4582853 [DELETED] 

>>4582656
>died down
More like the progressfag / storyfag disease infected every other genre and was not exclusive to turn-based strategy / exploration games people like to call RPGs o JRPGs, therefore making them feel less special in the market.

>> No.4582907
File: 203 KB, 297x331, 1517977211948.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4582907

>>4581502
What a well articulated compilation of Shit taste.

>> No.4582978

>>4582697
I started this thread before those guys did. People should not copy me.

>> No.4582989

>>4582034
>this is why the PS3 still sell games even after the release of PS4
That’s mainly due to Sony nut huggers not wanting to move on.

>> No.4582992

>>4582034
>I didn't said it's the fucking 3DO, im just saying that it had a really bad and small library compared to the PS1 which included every kind of games

PS1 didn’t have a single decent original first person shooter.

>> No.4583029 [DELETED] 

>>4582693
I know this might anger the plebs, but there wasn’t a single decent game released on the PS3. PS1 and 2 were Sony’s good consoles.

>> No.4583217

>>4582992
Sad but true.

It did have ports of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D that had interesting features, but the problems were the former had bad controls and the other had a terrible framerate.

>> No.4583235

>>4580663

I had loads of games for the N64 and I think it was a legitimately great console when I was a kid but it seems like pure nostalgia looking back. I probably preferred playing on my dad's PS1 because the variety of games was much higher.

>> No.4583247

>>4582907
>not liking a bunch of overrated games is now considered shit taste by /vr/
Ok
>>4582989
No, that's because you have to keep in mind that half of the world can't afford a new console and spend 500£ on something that barely even had games at launch; most of the good PS4 games are avalible for PS3 and PSVita too.

I don't understand this whole "sony nut huggers" shit; every company will fuck up eventually: Microsoft did it with the Xbox 360 (basically releasing a broken console, mine spent more time in the Microsoft centre than at home for example), Sony did it with the PSTV with the blacklist bullshit and Nintendo did it with the N64 IMO and now with the Switch too, making you pay for an online service that's not even complete (no voice chat, no groups, barely any games to play online; even the motherfucking XBAND was more social than Switch's online service)

>>4582656
SNES had an huge library of RPGs and action RPGs even in the west.
In Japan both the FC and the SFC were (and still are) goldmines for every kind of RPGs.

>>4582992
I personally liked Descent, but yeah, that's where the PS1 lacked the most.
FPS were avalible everywhere though.

>> No.4583272

>>4583247
>SNES had an huge library of RPGs and action RPGs even in the west.
Not so huge in PAL territories.

>> No.4583273

ULTIMATE LIST OF GOOD N64 GAMES COMING THROUGH (MULTIPLAT BEST VERSIONS ONLY - EXCLUDING ARCADE AND NON-RETRO PORTS)

Killer Instinct Gold
Mario Kart 64
Pilotwings 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Wonder Project J2: Corlo no Mori no Josette
Blast Corps
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
GoldenEye 007
Extreme-G
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
Snowboard Kids
Star Fox 64
Tetrisphere
Yoshi's Story
1080° Snowboarding
Banjo-Kazooie
BattleTanx
Body Harvest
F-Zero X
Gauntlet Legends
Glover
Goemon's Great Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Rakugakids
Space Station Silicon Valley
Top Gear Overdrive
Wipeout 64
BattleTanx: Global Assault
Beetle Adventure Racing!
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Donkey Kong 64
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Harvest Moon 64
Hybrid Heaven
Jet Force Gemini
Mario Golf
Mario Party 2
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Pokémon Snap
Quake II
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Snowboard Kids 2
Super Smash Bros.
World Driver Championship
Vigilante 8
007: The World Is Not Enough
All-Star Baseball 2001
Banjo-Tooie
Custom Robo V2
Excitebike 64
Fighters Destiny 2
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Stadium 2
Ridge Racer 64
Sin and Punishment
Stunt Racer 64
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Bomberman 64 (Japan)
Conker's Bad Fur Day

>> No.4583345
File: 111 KB, 1242x2208, 244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4583345

>>4583273
>Yoshi's Story
>Donkey Kong 64
>Pokémon Snap
>Killer Instinct Gold
>Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
>Conker's Bad Fur Day

>> No.4583380

>>4583345
Without using memes, explain what is wrong with those games.

>> No.4583478

>>4583273
That's a lot of garbage.

>> No.4583493

>>4583380
If you seriously consider Yoshi's Story a good game then please seek help
even the worst nintendrones shit on that abomination

>> No.4583503

>>4583493
It's still underrated. A hang on from the game being panned back in the 90s just for being a 2D game on N64 and also for not being exactly like Yoshi's Island.

>> No.4583529

It's a solid console with a solid library. That said it wasn't my first console, nor was it the console I had that generation, so it obviously isn't my favorite. NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, and the Dreamcast still rank above it for me.

>> No.4583538

>>4581535
>F-Zero should have given no hope for Wipeout, which was a flawed title but moved in on territory that belonged to F-Zero. The futuristic racing vibe belonged to F-Zero. It took over that, it took over dominating in music an aesthetics and tight controls to master.
Nobody gives a crap about Wipeout.

>> No.4583660

>>4581587
>How in the fuck does that change the fact that kids that only had a playstation really wanted to play Zelda?

the n64 kids also wanted to play Final Fantasy VII and Tony Hawk

too bad each tony hawk game took at least 8 extra months to come out on n64. by the time the 3rd one came out on n64, the system was dead for an entire year and ps2 was kicking and screaming

>> No.4584816 [DELETED] 

is there any way to play Shadow of the Colossus on PC without needing an emulator (ps1 wont work on my amd computer for some reason)? sry for the offtopic question, i'm a newfag on this board

>> No.4585294

bump

>> No.4585304
File: 20 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4585304

I'm gen z(1997), I live in E. Europe, so i grow up with PC and I got into consoles(even though I played shitton of retro PC titles) very recently(starting with buying used Wii and PSP) and in my opinion this boy and x360(it actually have loads of niche games) are best consoles.

>> No.4585514

>>4580663
32 year old here, I'm master race these days but my top 3 consoles in order are PSX, NES, then N64. NES wins over SNES and N64 for me because of the fucking power glove. I don't care if it was an expensive gimmick, I like expensive gimmicks; I own a Roland MT-32.

>> No.4586226

>>4583660
Who cares Tony Hawk Pro skater 2 on the Nintendo 64 is legendary.

>> No.4586268

(B. 1994)

my favorite console of all time is the original xbox, but to avoid causing a salty spitoon here, im just going to say ps1. spyro. n64 didnt have that, now did it?

>> No.4586341

>>4581421
dude I suck off the sega saturn for a living and even I can say you're being a giant faggot

>> No.4587057

>>4580668
I liked N64 but he said best console of all time, not best retro console. Just about everything it did well has been done better since

>> No.4587418

>>4580663
This was the most magical console, for me. Great games, great... logo.

>> No.4587461
File: 95 KB, 954x683, Jamal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4587461

>>4580663
I just wish the graphics weren't so blurry. I prefer the PS1's graphics.

>> No.4587493

>>4580663

I was born in 1990. My first console was the atari 2600. When I was 5 I got the snes and in 1997 I got the N64. Is to this day my favorite console by far. It had games for everyone, great single AND multi player.

>want a must have 3d plataform?
mario 64, banjo kazooie, banjo tooie, conker, DK64, bomberman hero

>want a must have FPS?
perfect dark, turok 1, 2 and 3, goldeneye, twine, quake 2, doom 64

>want a must have adventure?
zelda OoT, zelda MM, mystical ninja goemon, pokemon snap

>want a must have RPG?
paper mario, hybrid heaven, ogrebattle 64, pokemon stadium 2, harvest moon 64

>want a must have racing game?
f-zero x, bettle adventure racing, star wars racing, san francisco rush 2049, road rash 64

>want a must have TPS?
jet force gemini, duke nuken zero hour, winback, megaman 64

>want a must have party game?
mario party 1, 2 and 3

>want a must have kart game?
mario kart 64, diddy kong racing, snowboard kids 1 and 2

>want some must have shooters?
star fox 64, rogue squadron, battle for naboo, sin and punishment

>want some must have 2D platformers?
mischief makers, kirby 64, goemon adventure

>want some must have fighting games?
smash bros, killer instinct gold, WWF no mercy

I can't think of any other console with such a quality library.

>> No.4587497
File: 3.02 MB, 4408x2192, n64 collection.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4587497

>the n64 has no g...

>> No.4587515

Mario 64, ocarina of time, and paper Mario
Vs
Metal gear solid, castlevania symphony of the night and final fantasy 7

>> No.4587534

>>4583380
Look papa! There's the guys who's playing federation force and star fox zero! The guy who wants to pay 60 bucks for wiiu ports on his new machine! The guy whos amiibo collection outnumbers the amount of good Nintendo game released in the last 3 years!

>> No.4587546

>>4583380

yoshi story is not really good. DK is good, just not great. Same with indiana jones. Pokemon snap, Killer instinct and conker are amazing games.

>> No.4587561

>>4580663
people that had friends liked the n64.

period.

>> No.4587567

>>4587515
The battle of overrated

>> No.4588990

>>4580663
Nah, Super Famicom was.

>> No.4589364
File: 71 KB, 600x1175, 1509670248206.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4589364

>>4580663
a lot of people shit on the controller, but for me it was the only controller I ever used that was decent for FPSs

>> No.4589382

>>4587493
I saw your post, and immediately wanted to shitpost. Can't do it. You've done a great job in recommending games for a great system. Good on you, Anon.

>> No.4589383

>>4580663
Mmmm, no, SNES and PS2 were better.

>> No.4591917

I'm waiting for the N64 mini just so I can play with a brand new N64 controller again.

>> No.4592013

It's not objectively the best no.

But its my personal favorite for dominating my childhood and making me a lifelong gamer

>> No.4592792

>>4580663
Great console, definitely my fav for goldeneye alone.
t.GenX

>> No.4592802

>>4587493

N64 made a great job giving the cherry to the fifth gen cake

>> No.4592806

>>4580663

N64 is great, shame it had a smaller library. It was also the last Nintendo system to have a decent controller. For me personally though, PS1 takes the cake.

>> No.4593646

>>4592806
switch pro controller is amazing, what you on about

>> No.4593671

>>4592806

I never get the complaints about small library, it's not like your parents could afford all 300 gayms, or 2500 ps1 games

>> No.4593694
File: 349 KB, 500x500, tumblr_otbf95T7aC1qm33rco1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4593694

>>4580663
I hated this thing as a kid. The controller is awful. Even the improved analogue ver.
The accessories were bulky.

>> No.4593816

>>4580663
No, I prefer SNES. But I'll let you know after i cop an everdrive

>> No.4593841

>>4580697

>Dreamcast is overrated because many of its games were ported later
>Gamecube had a bunch of Dreamcast games and games that would be ported to later systems.

K

>> No.4593928

>>4580663
only thing I dislike is that there are barely any RPGs: and that the Rayman 2 version is not the best

>> No.4596234
File: 61 KB, 407x525, Happy dog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4596234

This is the console I cherish the most.
Nowadays, I play PC games and some of my favorite games are on PC or other systems. However, many of my all time favorite games of all time are on this console.

What's the state on N64 emulation?

>> No.4596267

>>4580663
Besides Mario, Mario Kart, SSB and Pokemon stadium I was not really interested in any other games on the console. I am saying this with the n64 being my first console. Once I got a ps1 I did not play my n64 as much. It is overated and the snes is the best nintendo console they made.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action