[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 425 KB, 1321x1600, RE2%20Promo%20Poster%202.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4560370 No.4560370 [Reply] [Original]

RE1, RE2, RE3, or Code: Veronica

>> No.4560382
File: 162 KB, 683x1024, f53cff5f68c37cc8f7fde0a0c714d610.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RE3 but only after having played and known to the last detail the other two. It is only then that you'll genuinely appreciate it.

CV fucked it all. the gameplay aint bad but that story killed the series.

>> No.4560390

>>4560370
Re2 story and characters.

Re1 has better gameplay though.

>> No.4560403

>>4560382
>CV fucked it all. the gameplay aint bad but that story killed the series.

Agreed. Very wacky story. Capcom should of never revived Wesker.

>> No.4560406

>>4560390
>Re1 has better gameplay though
How so?

>> No.4560439

>>4560390
what are you talking about, the gameplay isn't bad but it is kinda stiff compared to the following games.

>> No.4560493

>>4560370
Resident Evil 2 is the best. Best characters, best villains, best levels, best puzzles, just all around the highest point of the series.

Resident Evil 3 is essentially an expansion of RE2 so it greatly benefits by reusing a lot of the same stuff. Jill and Carlos aren't as compelling as Leon and Claire, nor is Nemesis quite as weighty as the combined A+B threats of William Burke and Mr. X; but the dodging mechanic was a nice upgrade and made the knife have some actual purpose in the game.

After RE2 and 3 there's a bit of a dropoff. I guess I'd rate Code Veronica higher than RE1, but they're both in distant thirds.

>> No.4560502

>Jill isn't as compelling as Leon and Claire

WTF are you talking about. Jill is the best character in the franchise!

>> No.4560503
File: 42 KB, 480x542, 1505713809036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4560370
I just bought all three and am currently playing RE1 for the first time on a PS1. How fucked am I?

>> No.4560559

>>4560502
Just didn't find her arc as interesting as the rookie cop thrust into the situation on his first day and the civilian in town looking for her brother.

Former Delta Forces special operative working in an inexplicable high profile elite special tactics and rescue team for a small town police department is a little too nothin personnel for my tastes.

>> No.4560568
File: 128 KB, 508x523, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4560406
>>4560439
Because it is.

>> No.4560760

why people would ranks re classic games, they should all be played from 1 to 3 and code veronica, nothing else

>> No.4560765

>>4560760
4 is better than all that old clunky shit combined.

>> No.4561092

>>4560382
>RE3 but only after having played and known to the last detail the other two. It is only then that you'll genuinely appreciate it.

This,and coincidentally, with time you should also realize that RE2 is the weakest of the trilogy.

I genuinely think that the people who likes 2 the best are the people who played the games once or twice each and are only looking on the surface of things.

RE1 deserves a special mention because the more time passes, the more people forget or don't realize everything it did for the industry.

>> No.4561097 [DELETED] 

>>4560568
disregard that, I suck cocks

>> No.4561131 [DELETED] 

>>4560765
This 100%. Old RE games are dogshit, RE4 is by far the best games in the series and still holds its own against games made today. Any time somebody tries to convince me that the geriatric older games are somehow better I just have to scoff. It's like they hate fun or something. I've never met anyone who hated RE4 (or preferred it less than the originals) that wasn't a complete faggot.

>> No.4561134

>>4560765
disregard that, I suck cocks

>> No.4561136

>>4561097
>>4561134
what is it with namefags and sucking cock, why do they love cock so much?

>> No.4561137

>>4560370
I still hold strong opinions on RE1.
The game falls apart the second you leave the mansion and the rabid fanbase has never finished the first-original game.
They just like the idea of the game and not to play it.

>> No.4561139
File: 330 KB, 512x288, reload_animation.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4560382
exactly this. So with that in mind RE1 is the best. RE2 and 3 are too much action games and RE zombies just are boring in a city enviroment. Too many too slow, too bright and too monotone city concrete shit. This is were code veronica elevated the series back to its original heights, except for the completely dumb wesker bullshit. Fuck capcom... those fucking idiots. Same level as square soft and there modern final fantasy bullshit.

>> No.4561145
File: 47 KB, 600x450, E2_tofu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4561092
>people forget or don't realize everything it did for the industry
RE1 is the Mario Bros of its genre and RE2 is the Mario 3. Sure, we all tip our hats to RE1 for being the popular trailblazer it was, but RE2 is objectively better. And it's one of those games that, contrary to your objectively wrong opinion, gets better the more you play it. People who argue that never played Hunk or Tofu.

>> No.4561147 [DELETED] 

>>4560765
This 100%. The older games are absolute dogshit. Any time some retard tries to convince me that these geriatric turds are better than RE4, I just have to scoff. It's like they hate fun or something. Oh yeah, wandering around tiny pre-rendered environments fighting 2 zombies at a time, what a fucking blast. RE4 still holds its own against games made today, let alone the older games which only the most rabidly autistic individuals still play. I can't believe such a masterpiece emerged from such a shit fucking series.

>> No.4561154 [DELETED] 

Lmao faggot mod keeps deleting my post because he's assravaged about his favorite series blowing dick. Nothing I'm saying is against the rules, this discussion pertains directly to a retro game series. Now I repeat:

>>4560765
This 100%. The older games are absolute dogshit. Any time some retard tries to convince me that these geriatric turds are better than RE4, I just have to scoff. It's like they hate fun or something. Oh yeah, wandering around tiny pre-rendered environments fighting 2 zombies at a time, what a fucking blast. RE4 still holds its own against games made today, let alone the older games which only the most rabidly autistic individuals still play. I can't believe such a masterpiece emerged from such a shit fucking series.

>> No.4561157

>>4561154
stop replying to me, I won't suck your cock

>> No.4561158 [DELETED] 

>>4561157
Lmao don't flatter yourself faggot, I'm not replying "to" you, just agreeing with what you said and extrapolating upon it. Trust me, I know you're autistic and still play the older games too.

>> No.4561169

>>4561145
>is objectively better.

RE2 is a technical improvement ("better graphics") but other than that it's weaker than 1 in every single way.

For one thing the game doesn't know what it wants to be, it wants to be with its thing but at the same time all it ends up doing is a worse copy-pasta of RE1, which is why we end up with a police station that's a goddamn mansion and we're given a far fetched explanation for that through documents because they knew it didn't make sense.

The progression in that mansion a literal copy pasta of RE1 down to the number of keys and puzzles, like get 2 first keys, go out a little, come back with last key to face hunters/lickers, go back further out through the underground to find the lab and make it explode...
Except it does that worse in every way, the puzzles are worse, progression is more linear, the lickers are pathetic compared to hunters, and everything regarding ammo/weapons/inventory management is worse.

Instead of having to look for supplies in every corner you're handed out an entire artillery, which is in big part due to the fact that you HAVE to kill bosses and there is no plan B for them unlike in RE1.

It's even worse in the original version, the Jap version, which has even more ammo in plain sight and barely any hidden ones. Ever asked yourself why RE clones like Deep Fear or Countdown Vampires had such bad supplies management? Because they took RE2 (Jap) as a base, the best seller at the time.

Then, you have the scenario system. In RE1 (and 3), different things happen throughout the game depending on your actions, you may get different endings, face different bosses or face them in different ways. In RE2 except is static and instead you're forced to play the B scenario, which is just as static but 90%+ the same.

The way RE1 did that was very influencial and plenty of games, even outside of survival horror, got inspired by that. The way RE2 did it is unheard of.

>> No.4561170

>>4561169
Too tired to debate more tonight. Still unconvinced that RE1 is better, but respect your insight and well-founded arguments.

>> No.4561171

>>4561169
tl;dr RE2 is a straight copy pasta of 1 worse in every single way, the only thing that saves it is the Nightmare difficulty of the DC and PC versions, because you really have to fuck with the weapons/enemies stats and the supplies that badly to turn it into a worthwhile survival horror.

The only thing that RE2 does better are 'surface' things, yeah when you start playing it's all shiny, has more detailed backgrounds and 3D models. Cool thing.

>> No.4561185

>>4561169
>The way RE2 did it is unheard of.
You must not've played many arcade games. The B scenario is essentially the second loop except with the opposite character, seeing as it makes the game harder than A side yet most of the game remains the same. This is in tune with RE2's more "action-y" approach, which would be taken to even further extremes with RE3 and Dino Crisis 2.

>> No.4561195

>RE3
>RE1

>RE2 (Claire and Leon are the Britney and Justin of RE)
>Veronica (I never beat it)

>> No.4561314

>>4560503
A few tips, if you're interested.

1. Search thoroughly for items. While plot items, such as keys, are usually easy to spot, things like ammo and ink ribbons sometimes can be less obvious.
2. Try to run around enemies if there's enough space to do so, especially early in the game, to save ammo.
3. Don't pull a DSP by saving the game every few minutes.

>> No.4561326

>>4561314
>3. Don't pull a DSP by saving the game every few minutes.
But there are very few ribbons on higher difficulties so you cant really do that.
Also he should probably tactically clear rooms that he passes through frequently and if anything remember which ones respawn so he doesnt waste any time and ammo on them.

>> No.4561328

>>4561326
oh and if I remember correctly the auto aim is crazy good on the console versions and on PS1 especially the dual stick edition.

>> No.4561562

i always have such trouble coming back to 2.
every time i try to play it, i feel like i'm forcing myself and i usually just shut it off after getting to the police station.

>> No.4561576

RE1. It's the weirdest and most uncomfortable feeling, albeit a lot of that has to do with with technological limits. Can't really decide between RE2 & RE3, and CV is hot stinking garbage.

>> No.4561636

>>4560403
I don't understand this sentence.
>Capcom should of never revived Wesker.
I understand you're saying Wesker should not have been revived, but I don't understand using the word "of" where it is.
Any help from other Anons?

>> No.4561707

>>4560370
RE2 is definitely the best based on sheer amount of content and how well it was executed for its time. The only flaw is not having the quick turn. It's the far more complex playthrough that I have a better time taking my time with all over again, compared to RE3.

RE3 is my favorite though because it's the most fun to play for me, fighting Nemesis is awesome especially due to the dodge mechanics and it legitimized using the knife even more by making it more reliable to use and allowing you to dodge enemy attacks. It's a much more fast paced game and with the Reloading Tool, you can pretty much have infinite ammo without getting the infinite ammo suitcase. I believe it's the only game in the original series where you can actually kill every single enemy in your way and never run out of ammo for longer than a minute, provided you keep the knife early on and use it well. I love speedrunning this game the most but also love taking my time to kill absolutely everything.

RE1 just has that special kind of feel. You know the one.

RE2 is definitely the best and RE3 is my favorite while RE1 is the most nostalgic. Code Veronica... is kind of the odd one out. It's still great though but something about it is off, maybe it's because it doesn't acknowledge RE3 existing with its UI and lack of dodge mechanics and/or something similar to the Reloading Tool. It's definitely a step back in quality but doesn't necessarily make it bad. In many ways it's still better than RE1.

>>4560403
>Capcom should of never revived Wesker
CAPCOM should have* never revived Wesker. You need to be 18+ years old to post on this board.

>> No.4561708

>>4560403
>>4560502
>>4560559
I have been a big fan of Resident Evil since the first game and I have never understood how any one person can like a character over the others or consider one to be the "best" in any case. All the characters are literally one note and their personalities change from game to game and from medium to medium to the point of being utterly forgettable and interchangeable.

I challenge anyone to tell me what Jill Valentine's personality is. Go on, describe her character without explaining what her job or her role in the story is. After that, tell me how consistent your description of her personality fits outside of one game, because he is a completely different person from RE1 to RE3 to RE5.

The same applies to Chris, Leon, Claire, etc.

>> No.4562531
File: 1.87 MB, 640x480, Claire_Cutscene_002_cafe.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

re1/2

1 is good because its less linear than 2

>> No.4562618
File: 207 KB, 600x1157, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4561097
Fake

>> No.4562671
File: 71 KB, 1200x675, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Real Chris comes back. shin mikami expressed interest in coming back.

>> No.4562805

>>4561185
It's not the same thing at all like a second loop.
In the B scenarios you get different cutscenes, different bossfights including the final one, a different ending, etc this is the kind of thing that'd differ in RE1, and in adventure games in general, based on the player's actions.

RE2 trashes all that to force you to get the bad ending every time before you can get the good one, and unlike in 1 or 3 where each playthrough you could do things a little differently, the scenarios are all completely static.

Also RE2 isn't "action-y" like DC2. DC2 is a pure arcade action game, if you think RE2 is the same then all it is is a bad survival horror game, because unlike DC2 it's still supposed to be a survival horror.

>>4561707
>RE2 is definitely the best based on sheer amount of content

Outside of bonus things like Hunk/Tofu RE2 doesn't really have more content than 1 or 3. Like I said, the content is just spread in a way that makes you believe there is more, by having 4 static scenarios which are all 90% the same instead of 1 or 2 in which you can have plenty of different things happen depending on your actions.

>> No.4562871

>>4560370

I replayed RE1 recently event though I never completed it as a child, surprisingly fun still. It's either that or 2, can't decide.

>> No.4562881

vote RE3

>> No.4562926

>>4562805
>the content is just spread in a way that makes you believe there is more, by having 4 static scenarios which are all 90% the same instead of 1 or 2 in which you can have plenty of different things happen depending on your actions.
It's not that spread thin. It's mostly the same locations but there are many areas that you only get to see in the second scenario, others that you only get to see with specific characters and Hunk/Tofu are essentially the same mode, admittedly. But you forgot Extreme Battle mode.

>>4561708
I'm glad nobody's responded to this yet, perhaps my point is flawless?

>> No.4563031

>>4561708
>I challenge anyone to tell me what Jill Valentine's personality is. Go on, describe her character without explaining what her job or her role in the story is. After that, tell me how consistent your description of her personality fits outside of one game, because he is a completely different person from RE1 to RE3 to RE5.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you expect here given that most of these games are about surviving alone, which limits their interaction and thus chances to gauge their personality. But lets give it a go anyway.

Jill is a serious person with a variety of skills who is reasonably suspicious of people behaving oddly around her.

Chris is a bit of a loose canon, but is protective of his comrades to the point he carries a great deal of guilt for his fallen friends.

Leon is a capable person, but one who doesn't command much respect for some reason, an oddity given his abilities. He uses humor to try and lighten the mood, given the seriousness of the situations he finds himself in.

Claire is a person who would rather take action than wait and see how a situation plays out. Initially naive, she becomes more jaded as time goes on, likely her own coping mechanism regarding fallen comrades, similar to her brother, Chris.

While we're at it, Barry, the family man who is protective of his family and friends to the point of putting himself in harm's way to save them. Also a bit of a quipster, though his jokes land better than Leon's.

>> No.4563081

>>4563031
>Jill is a serious person (...) who is reasonably suspicious of people behaving oddly around her.
She's not that serious in RE1 and she's not "reasonably" suspicious of Carlos, she immediately distrusts him for no reason besides him being an Umbrella mercenary. For all intents and purposes he is kind to her and actively tries to help her.
>Chris is a bit of a loose canon, but is protective of his comrades to the point he carries a great deal of guilt for his fallen friends.
This doesn't describe him in RE1 or RE5. He doesn't feel guilty for having "lost" Jill to Wesker, in fact he thoroughly believes they're both still alive and he's only a loose cannon in RE6.
>Leon is a capable person, but one who doesn't command much respect for some reason, an oddity given his abilities. He uses humor to try and lighten the mood, given the seriousness of the situations he finds himself in.
Where was that sense of humor in RE6?
>Claire is a person who would rather take action than wait and see how a situation plays out. Initially naive, she becomes more jaded as time goes on, likely her own coping mechanism regarding fallen comrades, similar to her brother, Chris.
The most generic description of a person possible. There isn't a single RE protagonist who wouldn't rather take action. I'm not sure where the naivety part comes from though, she seemed quite reasonably cautious in RE2 to me like anyone would and she doesn't outright trust Chief Irons either.
>While we're at it, Barry, the family man who is protective of his family and friends to the point of putting himself in harm's way to save them. Also a bit of a quipster, though his jokes land better than Leon's.
Fair enough, though the protectiveness part is his only character trait, hence the one note part in my criticism.

>> No.4563095 [DELETED] 

>>4563081
>>4563031

In RE1 Jill is still somewhat gullible and unexperienced, she is relatively new on the team after all. Yet at the same time we know she has a tough side because she inherited some of her father's traits, who was a known thief.

In RE3 she's tougher, the vents of 1 and whatever happened between the two toughened her up and she's not good at this shit against zombies and monsters. She is more confident and knows what she wants too, shown by how she treats Carlos.

The evolution of her personality between 1 and 3 actually makes sense, but other than that, you >>4562926 are right, recurring characters who act and are nothing like they were in previous games is a recurring issue in the series.

I think it all boils down to the fact that Capcom wants recurring characters "for the fans", while at the same time each different director wants to do its own thing.
The most blatant example of that behind Rebecca between RE0 and RE1, in which her personality and talent is at polar oposites in both titles even though they take place 1 day apart... and she's tougher the day BEFORE so there is no way you can make sense out of that.

RE0 was already in development when REmake started, and the 2 games didn't come out far apart, so they had to know.
In REmake Mikami acknowledge RE0 through a single file to read that you can easily miss and that was it. He wasn't going to change her character because of some b-side prequel which develpoment is struggling.

>> No.4563097

>>4563095
>>4563081
>>4563031

In RE1 Jill is still somewhat gullible and unexperienced, she is relatively new on the team after all. Yet at the same time we know she has a tough side because she inherited some of her father's traits, who was a known thief.

In RE3 she's tougher, the events of 1 and whatever happened between the two toughened her up and she's now good at this shit against zombies and monsters. She is more confident and knows what she wants too, shown by how she treats Carlos.

The evolution of her personality between 1 and 3 actually makes sense, but other than that, you >>4562926 are right, recurring characters who act and are nothing like they were in previous games is a recurring issue in the series.

I think it all boils down to the fact that Capcom wants recurring characters "for the fans", while at the same time each different director wants to do its own thing.
The most blatant example of that behind Rebecca between RE0 and RE1, in which her personality and talent is at polar oposites in both titles even though they take place 1 day apart... and she's tougher the day BEFORE so there is no way you can make sense out of that.

RE0 was already in development when REmake started, and the 2 games didn't come out far apart, so they had to know.
In REmake Mikami acknowledge RE0 through a single file to read that you can easily miss and that was it. He wasn't going to change her character because of some b-side prequel which devlopment was struggling.

>> No.4563106

>>4563097
This is partly why I think one should consider each game individually and stop trying to considering something like the RE series as a whole. Seriously, fans who do that look desperate to me, especially with how much of a mess the series has become throughout the years, not to mention the constant retcons.
It was such a mess Capcom had to release things like "Wesker Report" to establish a "canon" which was something that didn't happen in the games. Then, that got retconned, etc

People need to realize that RE sequels are "official fanfictions". Doesn't mean they're all bad, but somehow "gamers" tend to put brand names like publishers and series names above artistic teams, although there are some exceptions like Kojima.

I mean, nobody in their right mind would seriously considering From Dusk Till Dawn 2 as a canon serious and valid sequel to Tarantino's first movie... But it's what 'gamers' do and Resident Evil and its fans is the perfect example of that

>> No.4563114

>>4562926
>It's not that spread thin. It's mostly the same locations but there are many areas that you only get to see in the second scenario, others that you only get to see with specific characters and Hunk/Tofu are essentially the same mode, admittedly. But you forgot Extreme Battle mode.

I was talking about the main games, the main scenarions. I mean Extreme Battle wasn't even in the original release, if you start to bring in all the re-release content then sure RE1 is the one with the most 'content': Saturn Battle mode, Director's Cut, Arrange, the DS new scenario.. but all that is just replaying the same thing differently.

Also the B scenarios don't have 'many more locations', it has a new location at the end and then different boss battles, that's it. This, is usually what adventure games do in one scenario, you got the bad ending, and the good ending which may have an extra location at the end.

My point is, as far as the main games are concerned, RE2 shouldn't even have A or B scenarios, it should have been a single one and the differences between the two would depend on the player's actions. Had they done that, and if you consider all the different things that can happen in RE1 and 3's main scenarios, all 3 games pretty much have the same amount of content. RE3 may be a few mins faster but doesn't waste as much time with backtracking.
It's just that RE2 is laid out in a such a way with its scenario system that it looks like it has more.

>> No.4563135

>>4563097
>Yet at the same time we know she has a tough side because she inherited some of her father's traits, who was a known thief.
lol what?! Where did that information even come from?
>She is more confident and knows what she wants too, shown by how she treats Carlos.
An interesting observation to make because I have no idea what you're talking about. "She is more confident and knows what she wants too, shown by how she treats Carlos"? What are you on about? Distrusting someone is proof of self-confidence and "knowing what you want"? This is exactly why I said you need to describe the character without defining their job or their role in the story, you're talking absolute nonsense.
>I think it all boils down to the fact that Capcom wants recurring characters "for the fans", while at the same time each different director wants to do its own thing.
It's also evident by the fact these characters have been voiced by multiple people over the years, so the inconsistencies exist even outside of the games. Wesker's been voiced by like 5 different actors without even counting his movie appearances and he's just as one note as every other character.

>The most blatant example of that behind Rebecca between RE0 and RE1,
Oh yes. I don't even consider RE0 canonical for many reasons but that's quite possibly the main one.

>People need to realize that RE sequels are "official fanfictions".
I suppose that's a fair description. I have plenty of love for the games to a certain degree and each one is its own set of rules and characters; I don't need to go to great lengths to explain how drastically different RE4 is compared to previous games, not to mention other spin offs like Dead Aim and Umbrella Chronicles. Hideki Kamiya, director of RE2, said that if you have an idea for a sequel, you should just do it and not worry about anything. That's exactly what Capcom has done with most of its franchises.

>> No.4563147

>>4563135
> What are you on about? Distrusting someone is proof of self-confidence and "knowing what you want"?

It's just the way she talks and behaves in cutscenes. Even just the intro of RE3, we can see that she is determined. The scene in her bedroom is like "badass getting his guns prepared for the upcoming fight", there has to be a trope for this.
This makes a clear distinction with RE1 and how she always needs Barry's help.

>lol what?! Where did that information even come from?

I genuinely don't remember where I read that, could be the manual, to explain why she knows how to use a lockpick (and the whole scene with Barry saying she's good with it)....
Could be I'm mixing up with a fanfiction I read when I was a kid

>> No.4563157

>>4563147
>>4563135

Could also(most likely) be that you're remembering bits and pieces from the S.D. Perry books, where that was a bit of a prominent background deal for Jill(daughter of Dick Valentine, infamous thief, etc. etc.).

>> No.4563161

>>4563106
>But it's what 'gamers' do and Resident Evil and its fans is the perfect example of that
RE characters are at best just templates where you take their name and general appearance, then fill in the rest. Rebecca is quite possibly the most drastic example of this but in terms of storytelling, Jake not being Steve from Code Veronica was the most disappointing thing; not because I care about the characters, but it made so much sense at the time. Instead, it's just Wesker's son who comes out of fucking nowhere because apparently the franchise is dire need of new characters. Anyone remember Sheva Alomar? Or Josh Stone? Or Ben Bertolucci? Well what about Marvin Branagh? It's funny that these characters even get a surname, only to never be brought up again. You could argue that Marvin was just a side character doomed to die from the start, but Sheva was the secondary fucking protagonist in RE5 and Josh was her best friend. That's about as much characterization they really got outside of their roles.

>>4563114
>but all that is just replaying the same thing differently.
I originally played the first three REs on PC and I'm not sure what content was added, so that's where I'm coming from. Comparing them, it's easy to see RE2 has the most content.

>Also the B scenarios don't have 'many more locations', it has a new location at the end and then different boss battles, that's it.
No, it has more than one new location, unless you're not counting entire rooms and paths you couldn't visit the first time around.

>RE2 shouldn't even have A or B scenarios, it should have been a single one and the differences between the two would depend on the player's actions
RE3 did that and it constantly gets criticized for it, at least that's what I see whenever it gets brought up. "Glorified QTEs" and whatnot.

>> No.4563167

>>4563114
>It's just that RE2 is laid out in a such a way with its scenario system that it looks like it has more.
So in other words, branching paths and additional game modes (not counting unlockable costumes and weapons) don't count as extra content?

>This makes a clear distinction with RE1 and how she always needs Barry's help.
This doesn't prove she needed his help always, the events in the game were set up in such a way that, regardless of how well you played, what weapons you have or how much ammo you have, it doesn't matter, because Barry can and will pop out of nowhere to save her. It's completely contrived and artificial way to convey how helpless she is, because objectively speaking, she's already joined a special police force team on her own merit. It doesn't make any sense explaining her personality in RE3 as being "more confident" or "more determined" by saying she "always needed Barry's help" in the previous game. Barry's help is imposed on her (and you, the player) no matter what. It's not a fair comparison because choosing her in RE1 is the clear Easy mode over Chris's Hard mode and yet, even still, he is "always" being helped by Rebecca, just not as bluntly as Barry helps Jill.

>>4563157
>you're remembering bits and pieces from the S.D. Perry books
I've never read those. I judge the characters in theses games as they appeared in them.

>> No.4563231
File: 375 KB, 1600x1200, s-l1600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any PDF of Dimension Publishing's Resident Evil guide online?

>> No.4563439

>>4562805
>In the B scenarios you get different cutscenes, different bossfights including the final one, a different ending, etc this is the kind of thing that'd differ in RE1, and in adventure games in general, based on the player's actions.
So? Cave shmups feature new content and design in the second loops. Thanks for proving my point you only play console trash, dumb namefag.

>Also RE2 isn't "action-y" like DC2. DC2 is a pure arcade action game, if you think RE2 is the same then all it is is a bad survival horror game, because unlike DC2 it's still supposed to be a survival horror.
You have poor reading comprehension. I said RE2 is more action-y than RE1, and the action-y approach was taken a step beyond with RE3 and DC2.

>> No.4563638

>>4563439
>Thanks for proving my point you only play console trash, dumb namefag.
>console trash
>dumb namefag
Stop that. This isn't the place for senseless name calling. Either have a real argument or fuck off.

>> No.4563650

>>4560403
i don't mind that they brought him back, since that happened in 1.
my problem was that they started wanking him so hard in CVX.
his role in CV was the same, but was more grounded and less wacky PSHH matrix shenanigans

>> No.4563651

>>4561314
>>4561326
>>4561328
thanks for the info guys, I'm having a tough time right now but I'm starting to figure it out. the best way to knock the zombies down is by knifing downward right?

>> No.4563809

>>4563651
>the best way to knock the zombies down is by knifing downward right?
If you're going to aim anywhere at the zombies with the knife, go for the legs first, yeah. However, this might get you grabbed by them, so distancing yourself perfectly is very tricky and so don't knife at the legs more than once at a time. Knifing twice is extremely risky in most cases.

But still the best strategy is simply not using the knife at all and juking enemies is much, much safer and easier to do.

If and when you get the shotgun, don't waste it at a distance on zombies, aim for the head. If the opportunity arises to let them group together in your direction first, take it as you can blow their heads off with a single shot if they're close enough.

Furthermore, Hunters are at their weakest when they jump over you. At close range it's unwise to engage them because they can instantly swipe at you before you can get a second shot in and for the love of god don't even bother using the knife on them. Even using the handgun on them can get you killed. Also don't be afraid to use the Colt Python a few times on them, don't bother saving ALL that ammo for bosses or even the final boss.

>> No.4564242

>>4563809
will do, thanks.

>> No.4564247 [DELETED] 

None, the series sucked until 4.

>> No.4564252
File: 126 KB, 720x480, cca1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4564247

Fuck off back to /v/

>> No.4564259 [DELETED] 
File: 69 KB, 680x453, SEETHING.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4564252
I used to post on /v/ and it sucked almost as much as Resident Evil 3, why would I go back?

>> No.4564263

>>4564247
This

>> No.4564268

>>4564263
The gray things and sewer fight were scarier than anything in the old games because they didn't have blocky graphics.

>> No.4564270

>>4564247
>>4564259
>>4564263

Could ya samefag a little less?
or y'know, contribute to the threads you're posting in (ALL OF THEM) at the very least?

christ, m8

>> No.4564284
File: 44 KB, 608x499, 22g46c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4564270
>Contributing my opinion >>4564247
and defending it >>4564268 does nothing for the board
Your shit doesn't smell like roses.