[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 62 KB, 1024x768, Perfect_dark_cover_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4558568 No.4558568[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Perfect Dark is the best first person shooter ever made.

It has incredibly satisfying gunplay, great weapons, great maps, a single player with dynamic objectives and real difficulty, highly customizable multiplayer with custom characters and player profiles/stat tracking, AI bots with custom personalities, a metric fuckton of unlockables and secrets, great graphics, amazing music, and features like counter co-op that no shooter since has ever had. No game can match this.
>b-but muh PC shooters
PC shooters are terrible. Yes, really. Almost every single one is either a piece of shit arena shooter like Quake 3 or Unreal that consists of circle strafing and shooting rockets at each other thousands of times, or some kind of "deep" and "engrossing" story-based shooter like Deus Ex or Half-Life with shit weapons and snore-inducing mechanics. Meanwhile, Perfect Dark provides a blend of fast-paced run and gun gameplay, stealth, exploration and team combat. All in one.
>b-but muh framerate
With 4 human players, 8 AI and high-resolution mode turned on, the lowest PD will fall even during high action sequences is about 7 or 8fps. Under normal circumstances, such as 1 or 2 human players and a few AI, the game runs at a smooth 20~30fps consistently, unless there are a lot of explosions or something. If you can't enjoy a game at 20 or 30fps, you shouldn't be on this board. If it really hurts you that badly, you can even play the XBLA remake at 60fps or emulate on PC with 60fps and kb+controls. In other words, you have no reason to complain about this.

Ask yourself: why are you a faggot that doesn't play Perfect Dark? Why are you content playing beyond repetitive arena shooters and boring singleplayer games when you could play a game with varied missions and objectives, all sorts of crazy gadgets with different abilities, cool setpieces and amazing music and atmosphere? There is no excuse for your faggotry.

>> No.4558571

You're the autist from the "games that pushed hardware to their limits" thread, right?

>> No.4558574

>>4558568
>the game runs at a smooth 20~30fps consistently, unless there are a lot of explosions or something. If you can't enjoy a game at 20 or 30fps, you shouldn't be on this board.
this is the most 5th gen thing I've ever read lol. truly the lowest standards of all.
btw I guarantee even if you grinded for thousands of hours you would never get good at Q3 because you're not intelligenet enough.

>> No.4558575

>>4558571
You're some random faggot who has no argument, right?

>> No.4558576

>>4558575
So you're autistic, yes?

>> No.4558578

>>4558574
>btw I guarantee even if you grinded for thousands of hours you would never get good at Q3 because you're not intelligenet enough.
Thankfully I'm intelligent enough not to spend thousands of hours playing a shit arena shooter, so by my metric, you're the retard in this scenario.

>> No.4558579

>>4558576
>So you're autistic, yes?
So you have no argument, yes? We can keep going all day or you can tell me why your faggot PC shooters aren't shit.

>> No.4558580

Reminder to ignore the PD Autist.

>> No.4558586

>>4558580
>Reminder to ignore the PD Autist.
Reminder to play Perfect Dark.

>> No.4558596

>angry opinions

Cool. Why are these shitpost threads still allowed here?

>> No.4558598
File: 19 KB, 400x400, what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558568

>PC shooters are terrible.

>> No.4558603

it is the best SP FPS campaign ever made

>> No.4558606

>>4558598
Lmao see, that's what every faggot like you will respond with. You'll laugh and talk about how retarded I am for positing something which goes against popular opinion but you won't actually explain how I'm wrong. Give me 3 comparable PC shooters better than PD and tell me why they're better.

>> No.4558615

>Ask yourself: why are you a faggot that doesn't play Perfect Dark? Why are you content playing beyond repetitive arena shooters and boring singleplayer games when you could play a game with varied missions and objectives, all sorts of crazy gadgets with different abilities, cool setpieces and amazing music and atmosphere? There is no excuse for your faggotry.
Arena shooters are infinitely less repetitive, because you're playing against people. Every single game is different. Everyone is different and they adapt to you and you adapt to them. All sorts of crazy gadgets with different abilities is just novelty. Yeah, they're fun on your first playthrough, and PD is a good game. But come on, it's a puddle compared to a good arena shooter. You're right that arena shooters have shit music except UT though.

>> No.4558618

>>4558615

If you're going to commit to a multiplayer shooter for years you're going to just have to listen to your own music while playing.

>> No.4558621

>>4558618
true, that's what I do, though often I play with no music. Q3/Live does have cheesy ass music though, which is weird because Q1's was pretty good.

>> No.4558629

>>4558615
>Arena shooters are infinitely less repetitive, because you're playing against people.
You can play PD against real people too. Moving on.
>Every single game is different.
No, it's not. That's like saying "every time you get a #1 at McDonald's it's different" because the fries are a little more salty or the drink is a little more watered down. Small changes due to player input don't change the fact that the same shit maps, same set of 8 weapons and same encounters are relived over and over and over. Wow, a guy sidestepped my rocket last game, this game he ate it and then came back and killed me with his own rocket! Whoooa, so much variety.
>All sorts of crazy gadgets with different abilities is just novelty.
It's really not though. It's easy to write it off as such when you don't play the game, but there are very few weapons/gadgets/abilities in PD which can't be extremely useful. Sure, there's something to be said for simplicity, but that doesn't mean complexity precludes strategy and quality.
> But come on, it's a puddle compared to a good arena shooter.
Nope, it's not. It's a better game than any arena shooter I've ever played and I've played many. What's the funnest thing you can do in a common arena shooter? Oh yeah, shoot people with the same generic rocket, sniper, machine gun, etc., copy-pasted into just about every game. In PD, I can order AI to defend a particular area, lace hallways with mines, shoot people through walls, set up automatic sentry turrets, poison people, cause them to start hallucinating, disarm their weapons and take them for myself... the list goes on. The variety in combat is so much more engrossing it isn't even comparable.

>> No.4558634
File: 207 KB, 1240x1754, 1515495924696.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558606

>PC

Aliens vs Predator (1999)
Black Mesa
Couter-Strike
Day of Defeat
Devil Daggers
Duke Nukem 3D
DOOM (1-3, Remake, whatever)
F.EA.R.
Half-Life (All expansions)
Half-Life 2 (All expansions)
Quake (Pick any you want)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Shadow Warrior (2013)
Star Wars - Jedi Knight - Jedi Outcast
System Shock 2

>PS2

TimeSplitters (1-3)

Now to completely crush your arrangement, TimeSplitters is better than Pefect Dark. What now?

>> No.4558647

>>4558568
>If you can't enjoy a game at 20 or 30fps, you shouldn't be on this board.
>20 or 30fps

bro, in what universe is 20 fps even considered a solid framerate?

most 2D games run at 60 to begin with

>> No.4558651

>>4558629
>In PD, I can order AI to defend a particular area, lace hallways with mines, shoot people through walls, set up automatic sentry turrets, poison people, cause them to start hallucinating, disarm their weapons and take them for myself... the list goes on. The variety in combat is so much more engrossing it isn't even comparable.
there's far more depth in just the quake character control or rocket launcher alone than all of that combined and the fact that you need this explained to you is proof you're beyond any help.
and I'm not hating on Perfect Dark. it's a good single player FPS with creative missions. it's basically Goldeneye 2. and the fact that single player FPS have set the bar so low really helps its case, but please.. if you had just made a thread saying Perfect Dark is a good game, cool. but the fact that your'e shitting games you don't understand at all in the same post is completely pointless. understand that you're not smart enough to compete in any public server in any arena shooter in existence before you act so arrogant.

>> No.4558656

>>4558634
Congratulations, you just named a ton of shitty FPS games and didn't give me a single reason for why they're better, which is what I specifically asked you to do. The fact you'd include Doom 3 and Quake 2 on your list is pretty laughable on its own.

Now, it's funny you bring up Timesplitters, because you're talking to someone who's spent probably 500 hours on TS2 alone, and no, they are not better games. Good games, but not better. The first two games don't even have fucking hands holding the guns. The weapons are derivative as fuck and most lack secondary functions, you can't disarm people, you can't make your own characters, you can't create your own music playlists, you can't play counter co-op, there's no shooting range, I could literally go on and on. TS2's claim to fame is decent single player levels like Neo Tokyo that had great atmosphere, and a mapmaker (which, by the way, is riddled with game-breaking bugs). In every other way, PD is the bigger, better shooter. TSFP was an improvement, but sacrificed the atmosphere and singleplayer experience that TS2 had for a better mapmaker, and was a downgrade in many other ways.

>> No.4558660

>>4558606
are n64 fanboys this assblasted usually?

it's a decent system but some people will die for it

>> No.4558664

>>4558651
You're conflating gameplay variety with gameplay mastery. I never said being good at a game like Quake 3 doesn't take skill or that there isn't minutiae to the gameplay -- you need to learn how to time pickups, what guns are most effective versus others, when to deny your enemy weapons... you don't need to "explain" anything to me because I've probably been playing these games longer than you. The point is though, that "how" you utilize a limited variety of weapons/maps/features doesn't change that they are, in fact, limited. You don't think PD has just as many opportunities for the player to become skilled and achieve a meta with what it offers?

I find it funny that you sit here and prattle on about how I'm "not smart enough" to play a repetitive arena shooter but you can't even comprehend that PD has the same skill ceiling in ADDITION to more of just about everything. I guarantee you'd never be able to beat any half-competent PD player because the idea of a game requiring both reflexes and tactical use of items is beyond your mental capacity.

>> No.4558665

i like perfect dark but these threads are pointless for OP and his critics because PD is a fairly unique kind of shooter so comparing it to those on PC is fruitless

>> No.4558674

>>4558664

No he isn't, you're trying to bring up stupid gimmicks as meaningful to the game when he's pointing out that just learning to control a map with a rocket launcher is better by any measurement. You're trying to come up with some bullshit to segue out of this.

He's right, it's quite clear you don't know anything about the game you're talking about. Maybe you should play him in a game real quick to prove you know anything at all about it.

>> No.4558675
File: 28 KB, 480x360, 1383529634000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558656

Did you honestly think I am honestly going to write a 3 paper essay defending 3 games I think are better than Perfect Dark? You already dug your own grave.

>All PC shooters are shit
>8 ~ "30" FPS
>You NEED to like this game or ELSE!11!11!!!

>> No.4558687

>>4558674
>"he"
lol.
>you're trying to bring up stupid gimmicks as meaningful to the game
No, my point is that if you think PD's weapons are "gimmicks" then you don't know anything about the game. Nothing funnier than watching somebody called you retarded for apparently not knowing about something and then deflecting when they demonstrate their own ignorance.
>he's pointing out that just learning to control a map with a rocket launcher is better by any measurement
So you're saying you can't learn to use a particular weapon to give you a huge advantage in a game like PD either? So you really haven't played the game, then.
>You're trying to come up with some bullshit to segue out of this.
What bullshit is that?
>He's right, it's quite clear you don't know anything about the game you're talking about.
I'm legitimately curious, tell me what I've said that demonstrates I don't know anything about these games? I just gave perfect examples of a few things that someone who DOES know the game should take into account, but what you are 100% failing to realize is simple math: Quake 3 allows the player to change the meta of the game by mastering its weapons and features, but Perfect Dark does the exact same thing. The difference is, PD does it with MORE, which is why it's the better game.

Long story short, you think the items/weapons in PD are "gimmicks" so you're literally the only one in this conversation who isn't prepared to talk about the subject.

>> No.4558689

>>4558664
no, you're conflating variety with depth. it's the mentality of plebs who made dota more popular than warcraft 3.
>you utilize a limited variety of weapons/maps/features doesn't change that they are, in fact, limited.
of course it's fucking limited. unless you're playing a game with literally infinite options, EVERYTHING IS LIMITED. and here's the biggest limiter: playing a multiplayer FPS with a controller. the character control limitation just dwarfs what you see as quake's limitations relative to PD (which, in truth, are very shallow). also there have been many, many more maps played in quake than PD, what are you smoking?

>> No.4558691

ITT: faggots that don't play Perfect Dark

Thank you based OP

>> No.4558695

>>4558660
No, is mostly this autist.

>> No.4558697

>>4558689
>no, you're conflating variety with depth
How bad is your reading comprehension? We just went over this: I repeat, there is something to be said for simplicity, but just because a game has variety doesn't mean it has depth. Are you too stupid to understand that X game can have twice as much content as Y game and still have just as much, if not more depth? You seem to be pretending that because PD has so much more content that it's all somehow just meaningless gimmicks, and I'm telling you that you only think this because you don't play the game.
>of course it's fucking limited. unless you're playing a game with literally infinite options, EVERYTHING IS LIMITED.
Stop pretending to be retarded, I don't believe you're really this stupid. You know that when I say limited I don't mean PD is unlimited (although you could be forgiven for thinking that, with all of the customization options), but rather that a game like Q3 is limited IN COMPARISON.
> here's the biggest limiter: playing a multiplayer FPS with a controller.
Your reading comprehension really is a problem it seems. As I mentioned in the OP, thanks to advances in modern technology, you can emulate this game at 60fps on PC with keyboard and mouse controls.
>the character control limitation just dwarfs what you see as quake's limitations relative to PD (which, in truth, are very shallow)
I won't disagree with this because you can jump in Quake 3. The game was designed for that, PD wasn't. But that doesn't mean PD has less depth or variety, it just means the depth and come from a different style of gameplay.

>> No.4558701

>>4558691
It is our job to enlighten the wretches. If I can save only one from the mediocrity of twitch shooters, my cause will have been a noble one.

>> No.4558704

>>4558697
> but just because a game has variety doesn't mean it has depth.
doesn't mean that it doesn't have depth*

>> No.4558705

>>4558687

Yes, he.

You still don't know anything about Quake. """""Mastering""""" a slow ass gun with two uses in PD is nothing compared to the map control in Quake.

>I just gave perfect examples of a few things that someone who DOES know the game should take into account

All you've exposed is that you don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.4558710

>>4558705
>You still don't know anything about Quake. """""Mastering""""" a slow ass gun with two uses in PD is nothing compared to the map control in Quake.
Yet again, you demonstrate your own ignorance and yet you're the first to tell someone else how ignorant they are. Faggot, let me tell you, I would control your fucking prostate with my Laptop Gun if we played PD, let alone the map.
>All you've exposed is that you don't know what you're talking about.
Yeah, exactly, more shit talk with no substance.

>> No.4558712
File: 32 KB, 375x360, laffinritenaow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558710
>Faggot, let me tell you, I would control your fucking prostate with my Laptop Gun if we played PD, let alone the map.
holy fuck, savage

>> No.4558717

>Silky smooth 10 frames per second at 320p

It's a shame this game was ruined by consoles. The animations, weapons, objectives are quite neat, but the game is clearly nerfed by the limited memory.

>> No.4558719

>>4558717
Good thing Xbox versions and PC emulation with plugins exists, then.

>> No.4558723
File: 28 KB, 488x463, 1514672599590.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4558705
>gaem got dem 2 weppin modez, means it simplur and less gooded den quack 3

>> No.4558725

>>4558697
the variety of weapons and gadgets is shallow because the majority of them would not be useful against another player (if PD had a multiplayer scene to speak of). there's a reason why options get narrowed down in multiplayer games. it's because not every fun novel idea is very useful between two skilled opponents. It's like if you were playing competitive Kirby deathmatch. A lot of the abilities aren't going to see use, but they are fun to fuck around with against AI in a single player campaign.
>Stop pretending to be retarded, I don't believe you're really this stupid. You know that when I say limited I don't mean PD is unlimited (although you could be forgiven for thinking that, with all of the customization options), but rather that a game like Q3 is limited IN COMPARISON.
you're saying Quake is limited compared to Perfect Dark because of the number of weapons. it's idiotic lol.
>Your reading comprehension really is a problem it seems. As I mentioned in the OP, thanks to advances in modern technology, you can emulate this game at 60fps on PC with keyboard and mouse controls.
desu I'd kind of prefer to play it 'the way its meant to be played' but it might be cool. Problem is N64 models/textures look ugly and plastic as fuck on emulators at high resolutions etc.
when I do emulate N64 I prefer the native res in 4:3, no widescreen hacks etc.