[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 93 KB, 800x600, Final-Fantasy-IX-Screenshot-Group-Table.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
455793 No.455793 [Reply] [Original]

I really, really feel like playing an old fashioned JRPG. I've played everything in the Final Fantasy series to death, IX was my first RPG and favourite game of all time. Lately I've had a desperate need to play something with that kind of atmosphere and sense of adventure, though I realise that it's nostalgia more than anything.

Can anyone help me out? 3D preferably. Hell even some similar recent ones would be welcome. I just need to go on an adventure.

>> No.455810

Lunar 1 and 2, Grandia, and Breath of Fire III all have a nice "big adventure" styled design.

Grandia's a little too easy for its own good, though.

>> No.455828

Valkryie Profile
Legend of Mana
Vagrant Story

FFIX is a tough act to follow.

>> No.455834

>>455810
I loved Breath of Fire III when I was a kid. I'll check out Lunar 1/2, I remember playing Grandia II (was the the Playstation 2 one?) like six years ago and enjoying it a lot. As I recall I just stopped playing for no reason, though. Weird.

>> No.455846
File: 119 KB, 256x240, time stalkers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd recommend Time Stalkers and Evolution for the Dreamcast. They're more along the lines of dungeon-crawlers than the FF series, or most other jrpgs for that matter. Great games though.

>> No.455848
File: 13 KB, 189x267, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you have an XBOX 360- then Lost Odyssey is a blast to the past of an old style RPG on a modern console.

>> No.455867

Wild Arms

>> No.455868

>>455846
Cool, thanks.

>>455848
Yeah, I've played Lost Odyssey. I feel like it focused too much on playing like an old fashioned JRPG without making the game itself that great. The memories and character development were cool, but everything was so generic and unmemorable.

>> No.455881
File: 83 KB, 455x344, 1303876917485.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Try SaGa Frontier, Romancing SaGa 3, or if you want a remake of a retro game Romancing SaGa.

Though they handle adventuring differently than other JRPG's, you have to wrest it from the game and be willing to get stomped many times over, but if you continually explore and experiment you will be rewarded. Just because you got easily obliterated in one adventure doesn't mean you have to keep pursuing it, there are many quests of varying degrees of difficulty.

Personally I have yet played a video game that has given me the sense of adventure Romancing SaGa has. Trying to find quests, trying to figure out where to go and what to do to complete the quests, over coming the bosses, no other game instilled that amount of adventure to me since most just lead you around by your nose.

>> No.455884
File: 711 KB, 170x127, a0yqua.jpg.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455793
the tripster above me has some good recomendations. I would say go with the Star Ocean series, even though the first one is an SNES game. Gorgeous graphics, sweeping epic storyline, great ingame combat system, etc.,...

myavatarspeaksthetruth.gif

>> No.455894
File: 109 KB, 1280x1024, koudelka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455793
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGUcqCSHPNs

>> No.455907

>>455881
I love Romancing Saga 2 and 3. It was kind of like a blend between west and east. It was like the Final Fantasy Squaresoft blending with with non-linear western RPGs like Ultima or Fallout.

>> No.455908

>>455846
Timestalkers was so neat - it was like if Pokemon had sex with a Roguelike, but the condom broke because there were too many cool VMU games to download. Reminds me a lot of Azure Dreams, as well.

>> No.455934

>>455907
Personally I am playing Romancing SaGa 3 right now. I am getting my ass handed by bosses all over the place. I am trying to figure out what quests I am able to do without a walk through since that is really fun to figure out in these games.

So I may miss a few quests or people, but I will make that play through my own. I can't wait until I beat one of the four demons.

>> No.455956

>>455881
Sounds pretty cool, I'll check it out. But I'm mostly after something closer to Final Fantasy - you know, memorable characters and that whole save the universe thing. As cheesy as it can be, it was my favourite part of games as a kid. Is Romancing SaGa anything like that?

>> No.455987
File: 110 KB, 450x337, septcorepc_001-large[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Septerra Core is a great RPG made in between FF7 and 8. It feels a lot like a jRPG but it was actually made by a small American RPG company. Its actually a very impressive game, all the character lines are voiced, and you can interact with NPCs with whichever character you want from your party. The voices are very good, even though they weren't made by professionals, but by the programming staff and their friends.

I loved Septerra Core up to a point. It really should have been shorter. Up to a point in the game, the game just becomes a whole bunch of grinding, dungeon crawling, repetitive battles, no character development, and revisiting old areas. Its good that this game came out in the end, because its technically shovelware and had a lot of problems during development.

>> No.456014

>>455956
Well if you want character development you might not get much of that, but you do get the save the world bit. You go around collecting fatestones because Saruin's minions are going around trying to collect them to power him up for his revival. The further you get into the game the stronger the forces of Saruin become (stronger monsters, monsters actually coordinating attacks on towns). It has many memorable moments, like the first time you enter the Twinmoon Temple, or figuring out how to get deep into Captain Silvers treasure cove, or even going through the entire temple of Yucomb.

It isn't a deep story, but it is a standard one of saving the world. Also in later play through you can offer the fatestones you find onto the alter of Saruin to power him up to make him into an all powerful mega final boss.

Though be warned, if you haven't played a SaGa game before it does away with a lot of conventions that other JRPG's have, like experience points and levels, learning skills mid battle, perma-death, doesn't hold your hand with direction (it isn't uncommon not knowing where you should go or how to approach a quest), and how the series approaches grinding.

>> No.456016

>>455956
I wouldn't really call the Romancing Saga 3 characters memorable. I played it a lot, but I don't remember much about the characters. You have a choice of 8 characters at the beginning of the game. The Romancing Saga 3 individual character story only occurs near the beginning, and then the game turns into a more non-linear western style rpg.

>> No.456042

>>455987
This actually looks really fun. It's for PC?

Also, is it one of those things that becomes complete shit after a certain point or just not as good?

>> No.456037

>>456016
Yeah it is more dependant upon your actions. Within the first thirty minutes I actually got a choice, I could have been the body guard for a princess. I declined and met up with my friends. Not only that I could have gone with Tornado and go off on an adventure with him. So I had a three way split not even an hour into the game.

>> No.456051

>>456037
That sounds pretty interesting, I'll check the games out.

>> No.456146

try xenogears

>> No.456170

>>455810
>>455834
Fuck yeah, Lunar series was great. Localized for us westerners with care. The only bad thing about it is almost every boss battle is the same.

>1 healer
>1/2 main attackers
>offensive magic is shit or is inefficient
>1 person to buff

>> No.456172
File: 159 KB, 640x480, 63-028.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456042
Septerra Core is for the PC, I'd say that the game gets boring at around the 3/4th of the way complete mark- because you really aren't exploring any new cities, and all the enemies become palette swaps of each other. I just cheated through the game past the 40 hour park, and then I got too bored and quit.

It is a really good game though, the characters are memorable, and the voice acting is very good. The world of Septerra is impressive, there are 7 distinct zones of the world and each has its own culture and landscape.

>> No.456189

I'm not sure if you guys would know about this, but does The Last Story ever get good? I just finished the Gurak base and I have to say that while I like the characters and shit I am really, really bored with the story. Is it worth continuing?

>> No.456203

>>455793
FFIX is probably my favorite video game of all time, and the RPG I've play that came closest to capturing its sense of adventure was probably Skies of Arcadia.

>> No.456221

>>456172
You should give OP fair warning, anon...even the GOG version is buggy-as-all-hell (patches, tricks and mods available)...but it's definitely unique, and the storyline is pretty cool.

>> No.456271

Legend of Dragoon is THE prototypical PS1 JRPG. Not the best, but the one that hits pretty much every base in terms of tropes and conventions. Other games I'd recommend for you include:

Star Ocean: The Second Story
Chrono Cross
Suikoden II (or Suikoden V; though it's not /vr/, it's one of the very best PS2 JRPGs)
Wild ARMs

The one other non-/vr/ game that immediately comes to mind off the top of my head is Dragon Quest VIII. Definitely worth a purchase if you've never played it before.

>> No.456328

How about Infinite Undiscovery?
It has a very cheesy storyline, but that's part of why I like it.

>> No.456382

>>456189
Most definately worth continuing, by far my favorite rpg of this gen, it tries something new and really succeeds in my opinion

>> No.456535

My favorite game wos Call of Duty Black Ops until i didnt found the SNES emulator then i wanted to play some JRPG games becouse I didnt play them never so i heard about Chrono Triger then i played it.Chrono Triger wos my favorite game and I started to hate Call of Duty

>> No.456542

Chrono Cross, motherfucker.
Remember that saying "no" actually has consequences.

>> No.456575

>>456535
Ahahaha omg

>> No.456587

>>456535
Is this supposed to be the inversion of a meme I'm not aware of?

>> No.456592

>>455846
>have had time stalkers since early 2000's
>never played it, eventually forgot about it
>keep seeing good words about it on /vr/, reminds me I have a copy
>the game isn't in the case

One day, Anon. One day.

>> No.457293

>>456221
I never had any problem with bugs or glitches.
Like, at all and I'm talking about the release version.

Game is basically a huge mix of popular 90s anime like Record of Lodoss War or Battle Angel Alita and FF7.

It's not a bad game though.

>> No.457294

>>456592
You have a cd burner, don't you?