[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 23 KB, 448x464, snes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
455448 No.455448 [Reply] [Original]

So slightly older members of /vr/ what has your transition been over the ages? Have you remained loyal to one company or not? Which console stood out the most to you? My Snes changed everything, really got me into gaming for good.

It went like this for me:

Nes
Snes
Playstation
Gamecube
Wii/360

I don't regret not getting a 64, really felt like I wasn't missing much at all.

>> No.455627

Nes
Genesis My brother has the snes
N64
Pc
Ps1
Ps2
Pc

>Which console stood out the most to you?
Pc with the modding aspect.

>Have you remained loyal to one company or not?

I have Not.

>> No.455661

NES
SNES/Gameboy
Genesis
N64
Xbox 360
WiiU

The heroin habit kinda put me on hiatus from gaming for about a decade. But I'm back, baby.

>> No.455670

>>455661
>The heroin habit kinda put me on hiatus from gaming for about a decade. But I'm back, baby.

Mom is that you?

>> No.455685

NES
TG-16, Genesis, SNES
N64, PS1
PS2, GC
Wii, PS3
PC

16-bit era was a glorious time for me.

>> No.455708

friends Atari
cousins NES
My NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Playstation 2
Wii - huge disapointment
Playstation 3 - didn't like- sold
360 - love it

>> No.455713

NES
Genesis
N64
Dreamcast, then GC, then PS2 at the very end because i needed a DVD player (played the shit out of it though)
Wii, 360, PS3

Used to be loyal to Nintendo, still love 'em but have no loyalties because that's a bit silly.

>> No.455716

Amiga
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii/360

I have remained with Nintendo for many years because they had the franchises I wanted more of.(Many moved from SNES to PSX, but not from franchises I played on the SNES)
However, I still respect the Playstation entries for their massive libraries of good games, and by this point I have a pretty large collection of PSX games.

>> No.455794

Intellivision II
NES
SNES
Genesis + segaCD
PS1
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox (bought for the sole purpose of playing Shenmue II)
Wii
PS3
WiiU

For handhelds:
GameBoy
Atari Lynx
Virtual Boy
GBC
GBA
GB-SP
PSP
DS
DSlite
Vita
3DSxl

I guess that's it.

>> No.455806

SNES
N64
Gamecube
PS2

I regret being a casual as a kid...

>> No.455839

>>455448

>Really felt like I wasn't missing much at all

You missed a lot bro

>Turok
>Turok 2
>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
>OgreBattle 64
>Bomberman 64
>Bomberman 64 2 The Second Attack
>Bomberman Hero
>Super Mario 64
>Paper Mario
>Mario Party 1-3(with friends, i made awesome memories thanks to these games)
>Blast Corps
>Jet Force Gemini
>Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards
>Donkey Kong 64
>Rocket
>Zelda OoT
>Zelda Majora's Mask
>Body Harvest
>Chameleon Twist
>Chameleon Twist 2
>F-Zero X
>Super Smash Bros.
>Pokemon Stadium
>Pokemon Stadium 2
>Pokemon Snap
>Pokemon Puzzle League
>Yoshi's Story
>Mario Tennis
>Mario Golf
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Banjo Kazooie
>Banjo Tooie
>Mario Kart 64
>Star Fox 64
>Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
>Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
>Diddy Kong Racing
>Dr. Mario 64
>Gauntlet Legends
>Nuclear Strike

>> No.455849

Atari XE
NES
Game Boy
SNES
PC
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
Virtual Boy
Nintendo 64
PlayStation 1
Gamecube
Wii
Nintendo DS (Phat)
Nintendo 3DS XL

>> No.455856

NES Top-loader
GEN Model 2
SNES
N64
GBC
PSOne
GBA
GCN
PS2 Slim
DS
PSP 2000
PS3 Slim
3DS
PC

I haven't remained loyal. I'd say the GameCube stood out the most for me since it came at a point where I realized I'll probably be in the gaming hobby for life.

>> No.455859

>>455839

>Not mentioning Battletanx

what kind of gamer are you

>> No.455886

>>455859

You're right.

I should've.

>> No.455898

>>455856

Lovely. I like you.

>> No.455903

NES
SNES
N64/Playstation
GCN
PS3/Wii/PC

but i played on whatever had good games. I just happened to primarily play on Nintendo consoles.

>> No.455910

>>455448
snes
dos/windows 98
gb color
n64
pc (blizzard, tactical shooters)
gba
ps2
gamecube
ps3
ipad
wii
steam/indie games
nes

i had a ds but i sold it without playing much.
i had a hacked psp but it was stolen a couple weeks after i bought it.

ps1 is next.

>> No.455918

I was:
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
and then after the Wii went to shit by year 3 I got a PS3 and have yet to find reason to buy a Pii U

Will probably be loyal to Sony this next generation or get a PS4 and maybe a Wii U later if good games this generation.

>> No.455929

Nes
Genesis
PS1/N64
PS2
I bounced all over the fucking place. PS1 is still the GOAT.

>> No.455945

>>455929
Oh and if we're talking hand helds
Game Gear Master Race
GBC
GBA
GBA SP
PSP
DS

Considering a 3DS when I get some money.

>> No.455948

>>455661

The worst part about heroin was missing an entire console generation I assume

>> No.455952

the only reason I started sega was because i got the gensis (first ever videogame console) as a hand-me-down from my cousin as he moved

from genesis i rented (renting consoles, remember that?) an n64 for a few days and became loyal to nintendo ever since

>> No.455962

Growing up, dat PS2 was master race but I can't play anything past SNES now a days

NES
Gameboy
Genesis
SNES
Sega CD
Gameboy Pocket
PS1
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Gamecube
PS3
Xbox360

>> No.455964

snes
pc
n64
gameboy pocket
ps2
ps3

Still love nintendo, and plan on getting wii-u at some point.

>> No.455976

Main systems (no handhelds), in order:

Atari 7800
SNES
N64
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox 360

Oh, and I've always been a PC gamer primarily.

>> No.456019

NES
Genesis
SNES
PS1
N64
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
PS3

>> No.456038
File: 7 KB, 126x213, adam.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455448

>Loyalty to a company

lol,no

I'd say this is a new thing but I do remember a few guys who would argue about Nintendo and Sega, they were definitely outliers though

Some random Pong machine my grandparents had - fun
Channel F - fun
Atari 2600 - orgasmic
Intellivision - fun
ColecoVision - fun
NES - orgasmic
Master System -fun
Genesis - orgasmic
TurboGrafx-16 - orgasmic
SNES - orgasmic
PlayStation - wtf is this shit
Saturn - fun
Neo Geo - fun
N64 - fun
Dreamcast - orgasmic
PS2 - fun
XBox - fun
GameCube - fun
Wii - Do I even like video games anymore?
PS3 - guess not

I used to love me some vidya, now it all seems so meh

>> No.456040

►snes
►GBC
►GBA
►GBASP
►PS
►PS2
►PS3

>> No.456110

SNES
N64/Gameboy Color
PC
Wii/DS
PC (again)
NES

I first played games on an NES, and when I asked one for Christmas I got a SNES. I remember thinking this wasn't an NES, but the SNES blew me away. A lot of my time with my Wii during the launch period was catching up on the Gamecube titles I missed out on initially.

Starcraft was a big reason I got into PC gaming and then I played Neverwinter Nights for a while. The second time around for PCs game with Steam and The Orange Box.

Now I've acquired a NES-101 and a bunch of classics and I finally have the console I've wanted since I was a kid. Feels great man.

>> No.456128

Gameboy
SNES
N64
GBC
Xbox/PS2
GBM
DS Lite/PSP
PC

I first started PC gaming seriously in '01, but by 2006 It was what I was doing instead of consoles. Other than handhelds. Yes I didn't buy into 7th gen consoles and its looking like I won't be getting into the 8th either. Also want to note I do own other systems than those that's just the order I got everything in during their generations.

>> No.456137

~ : currently owned

~NES~ - most significant*
Game Boy - stolen
~Sega Genesis / Sega CD - important**
~SNES - favorite console
~PlayStation - first console I used for bootlegging
Sega Saturn - sold, was broke
~Dreamcast
~PS2
Wii - sold in less than 30 days of purchase***
~PSP ****
Xbox 360 - RRoD, sold
~PS3 - current

* it was a legit event to go to someone's house who had a NES. Many nights of my older brother and his friends attempting to beat Mike Tyson's Punch Out
** owning NES and Genesis at the same time helped prevent fanboyism in my house, plus the more consoles, the less kids waiting to play
***hated hated hated hated hated the Wiimote gimmick, plus too PG and less fare for me at this point
****Bought PSP specifically for emulation, it amazes me how one machine today can house entire catalogs of multiple older consoles

>> No.456140

NES
SNES
PSX
PS2

Nintendo has fallen far and so have Sony. I don't have any loyalties.

>> No.456158

Born in '88.
I started with Nintendo and DOS games
Then got a gameboy for christmas when I was 6 or somethin like that
SNES
Genesis
Playstation
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
Wii

>> No.456165

pc (played consistently since forever)
nes
genesis
n64
xbox

I've always played PC so I'm going to have to go with that for standing out the most. I really enjoyed most consoles I owned, especially Genesis and N64, but they just couldn't hold my interest like my pc could. My consoles usually got to the point where I'd only play them when friends were over, that is until we all got into doing lan parties.

>> No.456173

>>456110

yeah, that's what happened with my Wii it basically turned into a Gamecube over time

>> No.456178

>>456158
exactly the same here, except I never had a Genesis (my neighbor had one and I played it all the time) or an original XBox. Also I have a PS3.

And GBC, GBA, DS, PSP, DS Lite, 3DS, Xperia Play

>> No.456249

Atari
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
Sega 32X
Sega Saturn
Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Nintendo 64
Gamegear
Super Nintendo
NES
Dreamcast
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Gamecube
Gameboy Advance
Xbox
PS2
PS1
Nintendo DS
Sega Master System
Xbox 360
Wii
PS3
PSP
3DS
PSVita

And that's not counting various slimlines and whatnot. I started off very poor, and skipped the 8bit generation, surviving off of second-hand Atari stuff. Then I got a Sega Genesis, which I loved. I stuck with Sega exclusively, and got the Genesis add-ons when they got cheap (but were still new). I got a Gameboy about 3 weeks before Pokemon came out. Then I got my Sega Saturn, which I loved. I then got some awesome Nintendo stuff from a church friend who's older brother had joined the army, and he apparently said that he wanted me to have his Nintendo stuff, so I inherited his NES, SNES, and N64 and many games. It was awesome. Then I got a job as a paperboy and saved up for a Dreamcast. I loved the heck out of it. My parents got me a Neo Geo Pocket Color for my birthday, and I loved it too. Then, in high school, I got a job and basically saved up for everything as it came out. And here I am today.

I got my Sega Master System randomly at a Goodwill in 2005 or 06. FUCKING NEW IN BOX. It was awesome.

I should mention that practically every console I own, aside from the Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and Gamecube were all used before I bought them. Sure, it's still a lot of money, but I will never spend more than $300 on a console. Ever.

>599 US Dollars
PSTripple was fucking insane. I got lucky off the hype and sold one for $1200. I then waited for the 60GB Backwards Compatible model to get cheap, and picked a lightly used one up for $280.

>> No.456289

>>455448
Simulataneously - Atari 2600 / Colecovision / C64 x4/ C128x3
NES
Genesis
SNES
Genesis
NES
SNES
PC
Gameboy
NES-2
PC
Playstation
Gameboy Color
PC
N64
PC
PC
GBA
GBC - my bro gave me his.
PC
Playstation 2
PC
DS - phat
DS - lite
Wii

When I a child we had one room with one couch and 2-chairs and a recliner with 3 and then 4 TVs along one wall with a bunch of systems connected and another room with a table of 3 commodores on cardinal directions on a table where you could swap disks if you needed to, and another room with the commodores my mother primarily used.
Various configurations and changes were made to the rooms over the years as things got shifted around.
I've played cousins TG-16 for a while, used a cousins dreamcast for a bit, and used ps2 of uncle and friend before I eventually got mine a bit later.
I've never had loyalty to any one company, that doesn't make sense.
Nothing really 'stands' out.
Never really got my hands on a saturn.
Xbox, GC, 360, PS3. I pretty much skipped on because modern gaming sucks dick and I've tried them over friends and already knew of the games via ports and some accessibility. I only got the DS's because it was the same cost as a graphing calculator and I could run a graphing calculator on it, thus multi-purpose educational/tool. I got the lite for the brighter screen and the phat I had was used/scratched that I got cheap to basically demo. Severely disappointed at the lites piss poor screen. The wii was inappropriately given to me after it was overhead that I played the wii with my friend, despite my intention of never purchasing really another Nintendo product again at this point, sans the classic pro controller, which is fairly decent.
My cousin asked if I wanted an xbox, banned from online, don't want it, but I'll take it and see if I can't mod it and put it to use if he's just ditching it.

>I don't regret not getting a 64, really felt like I wasn't missing much at all.
You didn't.

>> No.456295

>>456249
>599 US Dollars
Better get ready for the next generation; there's no way the "good" models of PS4 and Xbox Whatever the Hell are going to be less than $499 MINIMUM. Which sucks. But it's okay! You can buy the HDD only model that doesn't support disc-based purchases for cheaper! Don't worry; those discs still have to be installed even when you have them, and it only works if you're online! You're hardly missing out!

Fuck this gay earth, that's probably 90% accurate.

>> No.456304
File: 11 KB, 201x236, 1282083276407.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In order

NES
Turbographx 16
Gamegear
SNES
N64
PS2
Gameboy
Gameboy Micro
PS3
DS Lite
Gamecube
Wii

Got almost all of these used, except for the Turbographx and Gamegear.

I only really bought the Wii to play gamecube games in 480p, but hot damn, mario galaxy is an amazing game.

It was a good childhood. For my 15th birthday we (me and like 3 friends) rented an N64 with 5 games and played for 21 hours straight, until we all passed out.

>> No.456306

my dad had a NES i played
my aunt had a snes and i was over there a lot so i played that
my first personal console was N64
then PS2
the xbox 360
then a wii appeared out of nowhere
then i bought my own NES
so no company loyalty really for me
ill probably buy a ps4

>> No.456308

>>455839
The overwhelming majority of that list sucks.

>> No.456313

>>455448
NES
Genesis (for about a month)
PC
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Xbox
Gamecube
PC
Wii
3DS
PS2 (yesterday, nogaemz yet)
(possibly WiiU, but no promises)

>Have you remained loyal to one company or not?
Judging by that list, it kinda looks like it. But I didn't choose most of those consoles. The only company I didn't like as kid was Sony, and that's only because of the ad campaigns put out by Nintendo and Microsoft. I got a PS2 as payment yesterday, and I'm going to pick up a PS1 tomorrow.
>Which console stood out the most to you?
Gameboy CLR/ADV. For most of my childhood/life that was the only console I had, and I could trade games with my friends. So I've experienced more of the consoles library than any of the other systems I own(ed).

I also had some cousin's stay at my house for a month with their N64. Played Yoshi all day erry day. Now I'm tempted to buy one just for that+MM.

>> No.456319

>>456289
>N64 not worth owning
You guys must not have had friends; pretty much every 4 player first-party title was golden.
>Mario Kart 64
>Golden Eye
>Perfect Dark
>Smash Bros
>Mario Party 1, 2, 3
>F Zero X
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
And there's some badass singleplayer games too.
>Paper Mario
>Zelda OoT
>Zelda Majora's Mask
>Mario 64
>Kirby 64
>Banjo Kazooie
>Banjo Tooie
The only genre that was lacking was JRPG, and fuck that genre; Final Fantasy is the most overrated series on the planet.

>> No.456321

>NES (as if there were any good alternatives)
>SNES (had a Genesis only for Sonic 2, sold it for SNES games)
>N64 & PSX (thank god for both)
Gamecube (seriously regretted not picking the PS2)
Wii (seriously regret purchasing any gen 7 console)
no intention of making that mistake again with gen 8
strictly a PC gamer for modern games now

>> No.456325

>>456313
I forgot to add that I've gotten a PSP twice, the first one got stepped on.

sage because not retro

>> No.456335

NES
Gameboy
SNES/TG-16
N64
PS1
PS2/Gameboy Advance
Wii

>> No.456341

>>456321

I also had a Gameboy, then a Gameboy Color, then a classic GBA. I basically "rented" a DS for 6 months at one point and turned it over for a profit.

I was obsessed with all my gameboys. DS was extremely disappointing.

>> No.456345
File: 31 KB, 423x391, 1218073130128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TG-16
Genesis/SNES/2600/NES
Virtual Boy
Playstation
Dreamcast
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
XB360/PS3/PC

Handhelds

Hand-me-down Brick Game Boy
NGPC
GBA/SP
PSP
NDS
3DS

>> No.456346
File: 195 KB, 430x539, The-Most-Interesting-Man-in-the-World-With-The-Powerglove2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I guess I've been pretty loyal to Nintendo since their console has always been the first one I've owned in any generation.

Order I got my consoles in:

NES
Commodore Amiga 500
GB
SNES
N64
PC w/Windows 95
GBC
Playstation
GBA
Genesis+SegaCD
Playstation2
DSlite
Wii
Dreamcast
Playstation 3
PSP
3DS

>> No.456348
File: 281 KB, 1280x1662, Electronic Gaming Monthly 057 - 027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455448
Vectrex
NES
SNES
Playstation( acquired a Genesis, Saturn, and a N64 during this era)
Dreamcast
Playstation 2/XBOX
Laptop
PC

>> No.456359

Atari 7200
NES
Gameboy
SNES
Game Gear
N64
PS2
Gamecube
DS
Wii

>> No.456361

>>456319
>pretty much every 4 player first-party title was golden.
I did, but there were far better games to play and most of them were fix.
MK64 is shit compared SMK.
Golden Eye and PD were fucking terrible especially compared to playing PC FPS games and with full screen multiplayer online to boot, it just destroyed those.
Smash bros sucks dick.
>Mario parties
FZero is okay. Wipeout 64 was fucking better, it was the best wipeout game til fusion period.
Conker's sold on crassness, not on being good. It wasn't good.
OoT and Mario64, were good.
Kirby64, never played, but I've never seen a kirby that was outright terrible and most of them were good.
Banjos were mediocre.

Also, if you wanted to list a half decent multiplayer game for the 64, Excitebike should be on there. Fighting games on the 64 were generally awful. I only tried it for a bit, but also Goemon seemed decent enough.
Also
The 64 had a lot of weak games, every system was starting on it's way towards faltering by this era. 3D games started making shit clunky, developers were trying to figure shit out, publishers realized quality generally didn't matter at this point, and off took the modern generation of games.

>> No.456364

>>456249
Oh, and a WiiU. How could I forget?
Because it's a useless piece of shit that's why.
It will probably have some great first-party games, as always, but I'll be surprised if Nintendo isn't forced out of the console business after this. I could care less; they've always been a better software company anyways.

I got it for $200 BTW; the "premium" black model, with a "whopping" 32GB. Fuck me in the ass, Nintendo is so fucking out of the loop it's a little sad.

>> No.456370

>>456361
>obviously never played Conker's multiplayer
Shit nigger, what are you doing!?

>> No.456375

>>456370
Not playing shitty games apparently.

>> No.456378
File: 16 KB, 320x224, G-32XCinepakPromo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456361
>Smash bros sucks dick

>> No.456389

NES
SNES
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color and PC
Game Boy Advance and PS2
DS, DS lite, Wii, and PS3
PC and 3DS

The 5th gen was a dark time.

>> No.456398

I was born in 1989 but I still somehow cut my teeth on original GB and my first home console was NES, then SNES, N64, etc. I was always like one gen behind until I caught up with GCN. Glad that I did, though, because NES is so enjoyable to go back to now. If I hadn't grown up with it, it'd probably not have aged well in my mind.

>> No.456401

VIC 20
ZX Spectrum 128k+
Commodore 64
Atari ST
Amiga 2600
Amstrad
Game Gear
NES
Sega Master System
SNES
Megadrive
Mega CD
32X
Sega Saturn
PS1
N64
Gaming PC
PS2
GBA
GameCube
DS
PSP
Xbox360
PS3
3DS
Still own most of the above
This includes shared consoles from when I lived with my brother

>> No.456425

>>456375
>Not beating Turok 2
>Not playing Rage wars on Multi
Teenager right here
Also, Doom 64 is pretty thight

>> No.456435

NES
SNES
PS1
Xbox
PS2
N64
Dreamcast
PS3

I had a weird progression.

>> No.456439
File: 101 KB, 1024x768, DOOM64 2011-07-23 06-20-51-43.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456425
I've played the port.
>Also, Doom 64 is pretty thight
It's also pretty tight.
Doom 64 is actually decent, the port of it for PC is good. Try it you haven't, still plays pretty well.

>> No.456445

>>456439
I have the original cadrige
>That final level
Without the badass laser weapon killing the demon queen, it became a test of manhood.

>> No.456446
File: 270 KB, 600x413, video games ico sleeping 1247x860 wallpaper_wallpaperswa.com_41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NES
Gameboy
Sega
Sega CD
Gameboy Color
Nintendo 64
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox
Playstation 3
Gamecube

TBH, I'm pretty must a Sony fanboy.. I will continue to be if they are honest about not killing second hand sales of used games. That's really not asking much.

>> No.456448

>>456439
Though, really, the library wasn't anything special, just like Doom 64 is good, not playing it isn't a huge loss, it is mostly like Doom. It's only significant value was in being the best console version of doom, not a port though. Also the noteworthy accomplishment in how it was everything Doom 3 isn't for gameplay.

>>456445
It's better with a mouse, because all FPS games are better with a mouse. Play through the port, if you liked it on the 64, you'll love it.

>> No.456461
File: 23 KB, 289x292, meh.ro10588.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Also the noteworthy accomplishment in how it was everything Doom 3 isn't for gameplay.
Word, word... I´ll give it a try becuz why not...

>> No.456473
File: 291 KB, 311x456, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456378
>liking smash bros

>> No.456501

If I look into the consoles I've bought...

NES
SNES
N64
PS2
Gameboy Advance
GameCube
Nintendo DS
Wii
PS3
XBOX360

I've never really thought about it, but in the end I've done most of my gaming on Nintendo consoles / PC. Funny, because I've always kinda' preferred Sony, especially after the Wii.

>> No.456508 [DELETED] 
File: 170 KB, 1024x768, hl2 2012-04-19 01-46-55-30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456461

>> No.456512

Atari 2600
Gameboy Color
Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast
Gameboy Advance
Sony Playstation 2
Gameboy Advance SP
PSP
Nintendo Wii
Sony Playstation 3

Over time I picked up other consoles to fill in the gaps and I have a nice collection now, but I was (and still am) sad that Sega had to fold when it did. I was big on Sega and I drifted to Sony after the fall, and I never looked back (at least not in a "I regret this decision" sense. I was certainly nostalgic about Sega and the Dreamcast). I received the Wii as a gift, hence it appearing before the PS3 on this list.

>> No.456523

>>455448
In order:
>NES
>Genesis/SNES
>N64/PlayStation
>Dreamcast/GameCube/PS2/PC
>PS3/Wii/PC/Emulators for consoles I've missed.

I haven't really remained loyal to one company, I'll buy any console if the games for it interest me, same goes for PC games.

Gotta say, the SNES, Genesis, and GameCube probably stood out the most for me. Never really played the 360 much, and the Xbox had 10 games at the most that interested me. I honestly think Microsoft should've just stuck to PC.

>>456308
That's like, your opinion, man.

>> No.456525
File: 568 KB, 1280x960, mamepui64 2012-01-25 23-58-52-72.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456461

>> No.456529

NES
SNES
N64
Playstation
PS2
Gamecube
PS3

Then I sold my PS3, revamped my gaming PC, and never looked back. Not getting another console ever again, I have more than enough with PC games and my 70+ SNES games collection.

>> No.456530
File: 203 KB, 639x299, 1363935842016.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456308

Y-y-you don't really like video games, do you anon-kun?

>> No.456547

NES
SNES
N64
Suddenly, PS1 out of nowhere
PS2 a year later

After that, I got a Wii and a PS3 eventually, but ended up not being very interested in them and eventually getting rid of them because I'd gone full PC master race at that point. Currently I have no consoles but my PS2 and Dreamcast.

As for handhelds, I had a Gameboy (regular and color), a DS, and a PSP. I still play the PSP because of all the sweet emulation.

>> No.456548

Consoles and date of acquisition:

Born 1982
SNES (July 1992)
Game Boy Color (Nov 1999)
Game Boy Advance (June 2001)
GameCube (Oct 2001)
NDS Phat (Dec 2004)
PSP (Aug 2005)
Wii (Nov 2006)
PS3 (?? 2008)
3DS (April 2010)
PS Vita (April 2011)

....by the looks of it, I've always been a Nintendofag, but I don't mind Sony. Between the two I can play just about all the games I care to play.

This list only covers systems I acquired while they were new, only the first of their type (so no second NDS Lites or DSi's) and doesn't count retro consoles I've purchased (like an N64 I bought last year).

>> No.456563
File: 173 KB, 362x446, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456530
>liking bad games
NO BONUS

>> No.456564

Super FamiCom
Playstation
Gameboy Advance SP
PS2
PC

>PC has no limitations. IMO

>Nope.

>> No.456570

>>455661
Hello fellow junkie!

Heroin put me on hiatus from gaming too, sorta... I managed to get a PS3 on credit. I'm still paying it off though. :(

>> No.456574

NES
SNES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Playstation 2
Wii
PS3
XBOX 360
WiiU

>> No.456576
File: 125 KB, 386x318, 1364037211568.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456563
>thinking that looks anything like CRT

>> No.456585
File: 914 KB, 1280x960, PotPlayerMini64 2013-03-27 15-18-48-46.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>456576
>implying strawmen fallacies

>> No.456596

>>456574
I love the Nintendo 64, OP. We all do.

Also:

Game & Watch
Gameboy
Virtual Boy
Gameboy Pocket
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Advance SP
Nintendo DS
Gameboy Advance Micro
Nintendo DS Lite
Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DSi XL
Nintendo 3DS

>> No.456605 [DELETED] 

>>456548
Yo, I've been thinking about picking up a Vita for a number of games. You enjoying it? Was it worth the purchase for you? What kind of memory card are ya running?

>> No.456610

PC
PC
PC
PC
PC
Emulated NES
Emulated SNES
PC

>> No.456613

>>456473
Brother? Is that you?

>> No.456615

>>456605
Whoops, forgot where I was for a moment. My apologies about the decidedly non-retro question.

polite sage for off-topic

>> No.456621

>>455448
PS2
i'm so fucking sorry i swear i will get a snes

>> No.456668
File: 299 KB, 1600x1200, ws_Retro__Wonderboy_3_1600x1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Game gear
Fake Nes
Game Boy
Megadrive
Snes
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
playstation 2
Dreamcast
Game cube
Game boy advance
Xbox 360
PS3
PSP
Nintendo DS
PS2 slim
PS3 slim

>> No.456676

gameboy (1995)
genesis (1995)
game gear (1998)
n64 (1999)
PS1 (2000)
gameboy color (2000)
dreamcast (2001)
sega saturn (2001)
gamecube (2003)
xbox 360 (2007)
master system (2008)
NES (2009)
32x + Sega CD (2009)
3do (2010)
PS3 (2012)

Though I first owned the dreamcast pretty close to the end of its life cycle, I rented one launch week. I was blown away, it was byfar the best week of gaming in my life! To this day I will swear by the dreamcast as having the best Library of games.

>> No.456703

Commador C64
Amiga 500
Nes
SNES -brothers
ps1 -brothers
PC
xbox/ps2 through friends
PC
xbox, PS2 and n64 of my own for nostalgia factor
wii
laptop

>> No.456717

Atari (not sure which one, it had pac-man, pitfall, centipede) Loved it
NES - Best years of my life
Gameboy - Loved it
SNES - Loved it
Genesis - Loved it
Game Gear - Loved it
Virtua Boy - Hated it
Gameboy Pocket - Loved it
N64 - Loved it
Gameboy Color - Loved it
Sega Saturn - Loved it
Playstation - Loved it
Playstation 2 - Loved it
Gamecube - Loved it
Xbox 360 - OK
PSP - Loved it
Gameboy SP - Loved it
DS Lite - Loved it
Playstation 3 - OK
Wii - Hate it

>> No.456718

Nes
SNES
N64
Meleecube
Halobox
Making enough money that I no longer have a favorite, I simply buy all systems and play the game on the best system for it.

>> No.456736

I've had pretty much all major consoles, and more than a few lesser ones like Virtual Boy. But my loyalties absolutely have changed.

NES of course
SNES but only barely over Genesis
PS1 by a long shot
PS2 by a long shot but I wanted the Xbox to be awesome
Started off loving the 360 and over time loved PS3. Now I rarely play anything except on PS3. PS4 has already won me over unless MS comes out with something insane.

I don't count PC the same way. Always had and played them but it's like comparing my car to my house. Not much in common.

>> No.456782

Commodore 64
Master System
SNES
Lynx
Gameboy
PC, with a new model appearing every few years
Saturn
Playstation
N64
PS2
Gameboy Advance
Gamecube
Xbox
Gamboy Advance SP
Neo-Geo AES cabinet
Nintendo DS
Xbox 360
Wii
3DS

And thats that.
Boring to read, i know but it was a real trip to remember all of them and the times I got them and spent with them.

>> No.456804

Gameboy
Gameboy Color
N64
Gameboy Advance
GBASP
NDS
Wii
X360
PC

Was pretty much a gameboyfag until high school.

>> No.456810

Atari 520ST
NES
MegaDrive
Another NES
GameBoy Colour
PlayStation
GameBoy Advance
GameCube
Dreamcast
PlayStation 2
Clone MegaDrive
Wii
WonderSwan
SwanCrystal
GameBoy Pocket
X360
My Third NES
Saturn
PS3
Xbox
Japanese MegaDrive

>> No.456821

NES
PS1
PS2
Gamecube
N64
Wii
SNES
Wii U

>> No.456916

I have zero loyalty to any company.

Whoever I feel deserves my business gets it.

>> No.456943

Gameboy Color
PS1
PS2
Gameboy Advanced
N64
Gamecube
DS
Wii
PSP
Xbox 360 (which I later sold, that piece of shit)
PS3
Wii U

The Wii U will probably be the last console I buy, if only because it's gonna be the last console focusing on games... maybe I'll pick up a PS4 when it's cheap to finally play KH3 and get some closure. But it's my last console generation for sure, from there on out it's all PC baby

>> No.456959

Vectrex
NES
SMS
GB
Genesis
SNES
32X
Sega CD
Saturn
PS1
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
..into the present.

GBA in there somewhere near the end.

I've always been a Sega fan, with their classic rpg's in the Genesis era, but after the Saturn it's been painful.

>> No.456978

famiclone (when i lived in europe)
PC
ps1
ps2
ps3
snes
n64
xbox

>> No.456987
File: 832 KB, 1200x1600, IMG_6546.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OK... I think this is every console I've owned, in chronological order.

ColecoVision
Atari 2600
Atari 7800
NES
SNES
Playstation
Saturn
Nomad
Playstation (sold the first one to buy the Nomad)
N64
Genesis
NES toploader
Jaguar (OH GOD)
Dreamcast (JP import)
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Gameboy Advance
Dreamcast (9.9.99)
PS2
GBA SP
DS
Xbox 360
PC Engine CoreGrafx
PS3

It's been a wild ride.

>> No.457002

>>456943
>if only because it's gonna be the last console focusing on games

I imagine Nintendo will focus on nothing but games for the forseeable future. It'll probably be the death of them as a hardware manufacturer, like it was for SEGA, but we can only hope they turn the WiiU into a success. They've still got a few generations to go before becoming SEGA.

>> No.457025

Might as well contribute. All the consoles I own, in Chronological order -
>Master System
>Mega Drive
>Game Gear Master Race
>Game Boy
>Saturn
>Playstation (was my brother's, but I still played it)
>Game Boy Color
>Dreamcast
>Game Boy Advance
>Playstation 2
>GameCube
>GBA SP
>NES
>SNES
>DS Phat
>Wii
>PSP (bought for homebrew and emulation)
>N64
>Xbox 360 (I sold it 3 weeks later. No regrets.)
>PS3
>3DS
>3DS XL
>PSVita
>Xbox 360 (bought a cheap one on Craigslist to play the HD ports of Radiant SilverGun and Guardian Heroes. Glad I waited because I have 0 other reasons to own the piece of shit.)

>> No.457035

>>457025
Oh, I forgot a few handhelds, in not-chronological order -
>Game Boy Micro
>WonderSwan Crystal
>Neo-Geo Pocket Color

>> No.457040

Coleco Telstar Galaxy
C64
PC with CGA graphics and 2x 5 1/4 floppy
PC with EGA graphics and 3 1/2 floppy
486 with VGA graphics and 500mb hard drive
PS1
PS2
PC with 80GB HDD
PC with 500GB HDD
PS3

PS3 sucks

>> No.457054

NES (uncle sold it ;_;)
SNES (still use)
PSX (broken)
N64 (still use)
PC (2000 - present)
PS2 (still use)
Gamecube/Wii (still use)
360 (not used in years)

and every nintendo handheld.

I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal to nintendo, but I have always enjoyed their first party games and hopefully will continue to do so. One day I'd like to go back and pick up a PS3 as the library is huge.

>> No.457060

Commodore 64
Atari 2600
SNES
Tiger Electronics LCDs
Genesis
Tandy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Gear
Super Game Boy
NES
Virtual Boy
Windows 95
R-Zone
Game Boy Advance
Windows XP -> present
Gamecube
NDS
Xbox
Xbox 360

>> No.457065
File: 187 KB, 318x400, 1338501904319.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>457060
NES
N64*
Virtual Boy

>> No.457078

>>455448

Naa, I've never been loyal to a company. I started out on the NES, got a SNES after that, then a Genesis. Sega CD after that, then N64. Around this point I also got into PC gaming, which is something I'm still a big fan of (and I'm often primarily a PC gamer). I got a PS1 after the N64, and the PS1 was my primary platform for that generation. Didn't get a Saturn, but I did get a Dreamcast as my first console following the PS1. Then the XBOX, then the Gamecube, then the PS2. Then the 360, which I got for free from a Mountain Dew contest, then the Wii then the PS3. The PS3 has been my primary console this generation, but I'm mostly a PC gamer. I have a WiiU now as well.

I won't bother covering handhelds in detail because I forget which order I got them in, but I've had all the major stuff: Gameboy, Game Gear, GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS and now the Vita. I quite like the Vita, I'm playing Xenogears on it currently, along with a couple of actual Vita games (waiting for Soul Sacrifice at the end of the month).

As I said, I'm not particularly loyal to companies, they couldn't give a rat's ass about me. The PC is my real platform, and if I have the chance to play a PC version over a console version (assuming the port isn't botched) I'll pick the PC version.

>> No.457080

owned:
Gameboy
SNES
PS1
Gameboy color
PC

played alot:
amiga
genesis
gamecube, I was the best melee player amongst my friends even though I didn't own the console
PS2
dreamcast

no loyality but I remain on the pc platform.
The gamecube was one of that really got me hooked, I loved (still do actually) melee and TS2

I had a PC since I had the ps1 but never used it much for videogames, when I played it was Worms armageddon. I am still pretty damn pro with the ninja rope.
I actually recognized the PC as an actuall gaming platform when I started playing CS.

>> No.457082

I remember having snes9x on my windows 98. Anyone else have nostalgia for emulators?

>> No.457087

>>457080

oh I also had a gameboy advance and I still have a ds lite

>> No.457094

>>457078

Hell, I forgot to mention the Virtual Boy. I got that the Christmas after it came out. I have five or so games for it, I quite liked it. I think it was killed by a negative image, because it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was made out to be. A but uncomfortable to play, but I never got a headache from it. I have a feeling that, much like the 3DS, most people don't understand how to adjust the 3D effect for their eyes and end up giving themselves a headache.

>> No.457101

TI-99
Atari 2600
NES
Sega Genesis
Sega CD
PC
Sega Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii
PC

The lack of Nintendo consoles can be explained by the grudge I held against them for close to 20 years because of the NES blinking error.

>Got NES for Christmas in '88
>So excited
>Ripped that fucker open
>Stuck in Mario Bros/Dunk Hunt
>Blinking screen

From then, it was a 50/50 chance that a game, new or rental, would work in that fucker. I probably got an NES with a defective pin connector (as most of them were, anyway).

And I never asked my parents to take it back, because in those days, you just kind of accepted the blinking screen problem and that the NES needed a shitload of nigger rigging to get up and running.

Funny thing is, most of the issues could've been fixed with proper cleaning of the cartridges. But we all heeded the warning label on the reverse side (scare tactic to get us to buy the official cleaning kit, which never did shit) and never used alcohol/windex/whatever to clean our games.

NES brought me nothing but frustration as a kid. Thank goodness for those improved 72 pin connectors and the Top Loader (which I didn't buy until I was an adult).

>> No.457103

Primary gaming over the years:
Atari 2600
Apple //e
Megadrive & Atari 7800 (also started collecting older systems at this time)
NeoGeo & Lynx
Dreamcast, NeoGeo Pocket, and Wonderswan
N64
Wii & Gameboy

>> No.457170

for me it was
Atari
Nes
Nintendo 64
Ps1
Ps2
Xbox 360
And i currently own every console in the universe(almost :)

But yeah i had an atari when i was a kid and im only 22

>> No.457178

It wasn't about loyalty at first. It was about what my parents could find the cheapest at the time, so it went...

NES > Genesis > Sega Saturn > N64

After the N64 I could buy my own games and since I am an adult with disposable income and a decent job I choose to own all of the current "mainstream" consoles.

One thing I consistently stayed away from was mobile gaming outside of the original Gameboy.

>> No.457185

>>457178

It's so strange how handhelds just don't seem to have the same kind oomph here in the U.S. when compared to Japan. So many of my friends just aren't interested in handhelds in the slightest.

>> No.457212

>>457185

While I can't tell you why because it would be pure speculative, I can say for myself that gaming is something I come home to do for relaxation (one reason I hate motion control consoles).

When I am out of my house I am focused on the task at hand, working, socializing, running errands, and what have you.

The only time I ever thought it would of been great to have a handheld is on an airplane, which happens maybe 3 times a year at best and even at that point I rather read a book.

If I had to guess why mobile gaming is popular with the Japanese is because of the population density and boring commutes are a way of life. No real idea.

Americans do play a lot of games on their cell phones and for some reason that doesn't qualify in my opinion as it tends to seem to be something people do while waiting their turn at the dentist.

>> No.457237

>>457212
Mobile transport and the bullet trains, etc are a big reason why mobile is important there.
Here I just drive my car when I want to go somewhere. My poor DS gets no love anymore unless I'm at work.

>> No.457320

My first console was NES for my 7th birthday present.
Years later had to sell 90% of games to afford buying used SNES from flea market.
Years later had to sell SNES and all games to afford buying N64.
Years later had to sell N64 and all games to afford PS1. Wanted to switch, because RE2 was the shit. I was pissed later when RE2 was announced for N64 release, but I got into RPGs with FF7, so I didn't really care anymore.
PS2. At this point I had enough money to keep previous console and games.
GBA SP.
Wii.
PS3.
PSP.
SNES and N64 again.

I've never played Sega consoles much. Just some odd Sonic 2 on my friend's Megadrive.

>> No.457324

>>457212
Also, less people own cars - there's really no need when public transport is as good as it is in Japan; so a lot of time spent travelling is done on trains, buses and such. As such, you have a highly concentrated population who spends a lot of time on public transport - it was pretty much predestined that handhelds with wireless local multiplayer would dominate the Japanese market.

Plus, consoles have always been seen as items "for kids" or "for otaku" over there, except maybe Nintendo's consoles.

>> No.457341

NES
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive 2
Sega Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
PC

The one that really stood out was Sega Saturn. My first 3D console, I loved and still love the Panzer Dragoon series to death, played Resident Evil for the first time on there, also. Swapping my copy of the Mega Drive version of Urban Strike for it, then Nights into Dreams with the controller specifically made for it, and oh fuck who could forget Virtual On? Fighting Vipers etc...Fuck, it was an awesome console.

>> No.458197

>>457103

what does everyone think of the wonderswan? I was thinking of buying it for the lel

>> No.458321

My rich, oil money grandparents and parents got me pretty much every console or computer they either heard about or I told them about. Even the Neo Geo. I never had to worry about missing out on exclusive games, because I pretty much had every game I wanted.

It would be pointless to list all the consoles, since I had most of them from second gen onward, well, on the American side. I did ask my grandpop to import some things I read about in game magazines like the Famicom and the Disk System. And my nanny would write down anything I said I wanted and make sure I would get it.

I ended up donating a ton of consoles and video games to thrift stores after I became self-aware of how spoiled I am. Even now, I really never sell games. Instead, I drop them off at Goodwill with the hope that it will make someone else happy.

So the concept of game company loyalty is still foreign to me, but I understand it.

>> No.458419

NES
Genesis (God I hated not having an SNES, but my best friend did so we played that all the time)
Playstation/N64
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
Xbox360/wii/PS3

I hate to admit it but the console that saved me from quitting gaming was the Xbox. I had my PS2 for awhile and fell out of interest when my older brother by 12 years convinced my parents to buy me an xbox for my birthday so we could stay in touch and play vidya together (the only thing we really ever did) After getting xbox, and actually playing online games on a console with my bro over 3000 miles away, it blew my mind. I have no loyalty to any company....they all went full retard in this generation. However if I look back, I have to say Nintendo systems are the only ones I actively collect currently, while the others I don't seek out games.

All that being said I have played PC games since I was 5.

>> No.458443

slightly older?
I probably don't fall under that category, being born right at the front-end of the 90's
but I've got a weird transition, so here it is:

Gameboy color
Dreamcast
Xbox360
Xbox
NES

I don't even touch the 360 anymore except to play GTA 4 every once in a while, the physics are just hilarious

>> No.458467

PS1
PS2
PS3

Went back and got a Mega Drive about a year ago, and I've always been loyal to Nintendo handhelds.

>> No.458485

Loyal to nothing. If it has games that I want to play, I'll get the console.

>> No.458506

N64
NES
Playstation 2
Xbox 360
PC mustard race
Playstation 3
3DS

>> No.458509

>>458506
> Forgetting I got a gameboy color first
Ahuehue

>> No.458543

NES, Master System, TG-16
Genesis, SNES
PS1, Saturn, N64
Dreamcast, Gamecube
Wii, PC

>> No.458579

i´m almost exclusively loyal to nintendo, i own a pc though.
n64 is most important to me, the multiplayer experience was just awesome, also it was my first own homeconsole.
i played snes, saturn, ps1 and dreamcast at friends places though.

went something like this:

game&watch
game boy
amstrad schneider cpc 664(it´s almost like a c64)
a whole lot of nothing
dad´s office pc(fuck yea, eye of the beholder)
n64
snes
megadrive
pc
gamecube
wii
3ds

>> No.458589

Genesis
N64
PS2

Wow, never noticed how little brand loyalty I had before. And I always thought of myself as a Nintendo kid.

>> No.458620

snes
n64
game boy
PC
game cube
xbox
ps2
ps3
DS

>> No.458647

>>455448
UFO (a famiclone)
Mega Drive II
PlayStation
PS2 + DS + PSP
emulated N64 for awhile, played a shitload of stuff
emulated GB/GBA for awhile
emulated Saturn + Dreamcast
MAME
M A M E
M
A
M
E

>> No.458703

Consoles:
NES
Genesis
N64
PS1
PS2/Gamecube
Wii
PS3/PC
360/PC/Wii U

Handhelds:
Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS Lite/PSP
Nintendo 3DS

I'm 19, but I feel like my progression was the same as an 80's kid but with much cheaper games.

>> No.458729

NES
GENESIS
32X
CD
SATURN/PSX
DREAMCAST/Xbox
PS3/Wii

Still a sega fanboy at heart, forever and always

>> No.458757

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube

Ours was a Nintendo household. I don't really care about missing out on the Genesis, but I really really wish I had a PS1 and PS2 when they were in their prime.
They had so many games that they make the N64 and Gamecube look like Leapfrog toys.

>> No.460403

>>458757

OP here, that's the way I feel man. I really missed out by not getting a PS2. Mainly because of FFX