[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 16 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4553638 No.4553638 [Reply] [Original]

Hey vr,
im looking for a game with a feel similar to smw

this part of the game came and i fell in love

im looking for a similar feel like great platforming, secrets, world map, FUN

any ideas? thanks!

>> No.4553646

Surely you already know about romhacks?

>> No.4553647

>>4553638
Wario land 2?

>> No.4553664

Yoshi's Island

>> No.4553683

mosst similar game is Mario 3, and then DKC. DKC especially if you like secrets. If you loved finding all the exits in SMW and doing the star world, DKC2 would probably be really fun for you, with the DK coins, Kremkoins, and the Lost World.

>> No.4553686
File: 34 KB, 810x527, kindarspirit_magicmirror01[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4553638
Without including stuff from the Mario genre, Kirby has some of the things you're looking for. I recommend Kirby and the Amazing mirror if you really want to get that "exploration" aspect, even if this game isn't really considered /vr/.

>> No.4553954

Romhacks? You'll be able to play them for years without getting bored.

>> No.4554347

Thanks for the recs, guys.

As for the romhacks - what's a good place to start?

>> No.4554350

>>4553638
No world map, but play Kirby Super Star. Start with Great Cave Offensive

>> No.4554362

>>4553954

You'll spend years just sifting through the shitty ones.

And then you'll end up playing a lot of them that start out promising but then you quickly realize "oh this person isn't a professional at all."

My personal fave SMW hacker is Gamma V and even their games always have some broken bullshit or poor design choices that rear their heads once you play for a while.

>> No.4554365

>>4554362
I don't have this problem all that much. If something is obvious bullshit I use my own self-imposed rules for what's fair and not. And the whole years spending playing shitty ones? Once you notice a hack is shitty you delete it. That doesn't take years.

>> No.4554450

>>4553638
Not retro, but NEW SUPER MARISA LAND is the game you are looking for. Deep game with Mario elements, catchy music, shitloads of secrets and interesting bossfights. And it's a free PC games. The controls could have been better, but not bad at all. In some ways like finding red stars it's similar to Yoshi's island.

As for retro, I don't know. SML2 is ok, but it has some lame stuff in it, and I hate the music.

>> No.4554451

>>4554450
Not retro.

>> No.4554475

>>4554451
Thank you for repeating my first sentence neckbeard. But it still might be helpful for OP's question.

>> No.4554805

>>4553638
After Nintendo sued people behind Giana Sisters, industry basically collectively fucked off from trying to do anything remotely similar to Mario out of fear of a lawsuit. That's why you have Megaman clones, Castlevania clones, Ninja Gaiden clones, Zelda 2 clones and Sonic clones - but no Mario clones.

So you're not super lucky, sadly. Try SMB3, Yoshi's Island, DKC series, Super Mario Land 2, maybe Wario Land games.

>> No.4554847

>>4554805
ah well okay

It's just that yesterday playing it I felt like the game is actually very good, a very rare feeling nowadays indeed.

Tried smb3 but Ill have to get used to how mario controls

also whats up with the legacy captcha bullshit

cant even post

>> No.4554849
File: 21 KB, 240x330, Adventure_Island_2_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4554805
>Castlevania clones
Other than Rusty and Master of Darkness, what other CV clones are there?

OP play the Adventure Island games. They control pretty much like Mario where you hold B to run and can make long jumps by running and jumping.
Adventure Island 1 is Wonder Boy with Master Higgins as MC and good music, but from AI 2 onwards the games became more of their own thing and have big overworld maps to explore, find secrets, etc. You can also ride animal friends, it did the multiple animal buddy thing way before DKC. And showed that the Famicom could do animal buddies no problem (despite Miyamoto saying he couldn't work Yoshi out and had to wait for SNES)

>> No.4555010

>>4554450
This x 10. Might not be a retro game, but it's the closest thing to Super Mario with a proper quality. Unless you hate anime type character.

As for Giana Sisters, some guys are making a 30th anniversary edition. It might be a fangame quality, but it will worth checking out.

>> No.4555030

>>4555010
Will note it down. Also - adventure island.

Cant play the jap game cause my laptop is fried at the moment

>> No.4555051

>>4553638
you might like Aoi Blink on the turbografx

graphics are kinda similar and it has a mario 3 style world map, and alternate exits

definitely not a masterpiece but very charming

>> No.4555115

Doremi fantasy is another interesting one. I like the atmosphere and the world map.

>> No.4555304

>>4554849
In addition to the ones you mentioned, Holy Diver, Captain Silver, SNES Bram Stoker's Dracula, Magic Sword, Shatterhand, NES Strider could probably qualify, and Ninja Gaiden itself was a variation on Castlevania gameplay.

I'm talking here about gameplay/platforming style, so not necessarily a gothic horror game. Castlevania created this specific style of gameplay based around careful platforming and using a melee weapon with a limited reach that has a startup time. Many games copied that, and similarly many games copied Megaman's jump-n-shoot gameplay (Darkwing Duck, Kid Dracula, Bucky O'Hare), but I can think of only one non-Nintendo game that is similar to Mario - i.e. is based around momentum, jumping on enemies, breaking blocks, and finding powerups - Kid Chameleon.

But while it has core gameplay similar to Mario, it's too different from SMW to be relevant to OP's needs, sadly.

>> No.4556876

Giana sisters and it's non retro sequels.