[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 55 KB, 122x167, 1364148471245.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
455256 No.455256 [Reply] [Original]

A simple "Yes" or "No" will do for the following questions. If you want to post the console and the name of any specific games, feel free to do so, but it's not necessary.

For those of you who own the actual console/game, do you still emulate?

If you don't own the actual console+game, do you want to?

This is not an argument over which is best, there's a thread for that already ( >>454204 ). I simply want to know your answer to the above questions. I'm testing out a personal theory, After I've done some tests and whatnot, I'll let you know what the result and what I'm testing for.
Pic is obviously unrelated.

>> No.455283

>example

>For those of you who own the actual console/game, do you still emulate?
Yes, but only Busby. Cant live without my Busby!

>example

>> No.455284
File: 229 KB, 1150x1532, 1364609848499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes. Simply for convenience. I have the adapters for my PC for the appropriate consoles as well.

The main reason I don't use my consoles is because they look like shit on my shitty HDTV and I don't have a CRT. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything and if I really feel like playing on the actual console, I can just hook it up and play it, simple as that.

In before this thread turns into another autismfest like that other one.

>> No.455292

>>455284
>I have the adapters for my PC for the appropriate consoles as well.
By this I mean controller adapters.

>> No.455374

>>455256

If I own the game, I won't emulate it of course. I don't really buy games for my retro consoles either, I usually just emulate it if I don't own it already.

>If you don't own the actual console+game, do you want to?

I'm perfectly fine with emulating, but I'd consider buying the real deal if I had a large amount of disposable income. So sure, I do want it. I just don't want it enough to spend money on it when emulation is an option.

>> No.455512
File: 31 KB, 300x240, 6a00d83452033569e200e54fc5d6f38833-800wi.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DONT LOOK INTO HIS EYES!!!

>> No.455535

Yeah, because for one, I can't own all of the holy-shit games for the system due to rarity and bullshit speculation pricing, and two, I can't be assed to hook everything up to my VCR, run it through my capture card, and play it through the shitty display software for my card. I really need a new capture card.

I would like to own every console, and I almost do as it is. I'd of course like to have a smattering of the best games for each, but I got the income and the power to collect like I do faaaar too late in the game, so to speak.

>> No.455547

>>455535
>I can't be assed to hook everything up to my VCR, run it through my capture card, and play it through the shitty display software for my card.
then why bother with the card, why not just go straight to the TV?

>> No.455615

>>455547
Gave my TV to my mother, because I do EVERYTHING with my desktop computer. I've since bought her an HDTV, so I could take back my CRT that has component inputs, but I simply don't care enough to bother now. I rarely play games as it is, and I prefer to just talk about them.

>> No.455624

>>455256
Stop shitposting

>> No.455656

>>455256
I emulate a lot of games I own, simply because it's easier to cheat that way.

Mind, I usually play through the game legitimately on the system it's made for first. But on repeats, it's just easier to play with access to savestates, turbo buttons, and speed control.

>> No.455717

Yes, because it's more convenient if I'm travelling or whatever. If I'm at home and I own the game then I'm playing the actual consoles, if not or if I don't then I'll emulate.

Yes. I'll always take the real console + games over emulation if available, but I know that isn't realistic for every game I might want to play. I mean, I know I'm not going to be buying Earthbound any time soon.

>> No.455718

>>455624
I... what? The only thing that could be considered shitposting is >>455512 , which is just me bumping the thread.

>> No.456007

bump for science.

>> No.456030

Yes.

Yes.

>> No.456089

>>455256

Yes. It usually depends on how easy it is to setup the console I have and its condition. For example, the Atari 2600 I have currently has some issues with the controller port that's used for Player 1, so until I fix that I'm just emulating.

And then there's convenience. If I'm traveling somewhere, it's better for me to emulate a game I wish to play on my spare time on a handheld, than to carry the original console (in the case of home consoles).

Most of the time I try to buy the actual game, but there are some that are usually expensive or rare to find. Recently I've been emulating Keio Flying Squadron, but it seems getting the physical game is both difficult and expensive.

>> No.456150

>>455256
OP's image reminds me of this infamous scene from BttF2
http://youtu.be/KMy1zO8m8sM