[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2022-05-12: Maintenance has concluded successfully. 2022-05-12: Ghost posting is now globally disabled.
2022: Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   
View page     

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 36 KB, 320x222, Yoshi's_Story.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4526531 No.4526531 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Fuck you, I loved it. Yoshi's Island is a babysitting simulator with shit controls and no atmosphere. Yoshi's Story is amazing, and while not difficult, is fun, has amazing music and graphics, and has great replayability.

>> No.4526578

How's it feel having bizarro taste?

>> No.4526582

>>4526578
How does it feel caring what other people think and not being able to form your own opinions without the justification of others?

>> No.4526592

I like Island much better, but Story has some things going on, I don't hate it.

>> No.4526596

>>4526582
Feels better than being a butthurt contrarian.

>> No.4526601
File: 474 KB, 200x150, disgusted-black-lady.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4526601

>>4526596
>admits to letting others form his opinion for him
>possessing the mental capacity to have your own opinion is being "contrarian"

>> No.4526602

I liked Story way more, but I don't really like either of them all that much.

>> No.4526604

>>4526531
>disliking SMW2 because of the baby
most brainlet /vr/ opinion to have

>> No.4526608

>>4526604
>multiple criticisms are really just "disliking because of the baby"
>calling anyone else a brainlet
When did I ever say the baby mario mechanic was my only reason for disliking the game? It isn't, but it was certainly unnecessary and unfun. There's a whole heap of reasons to dislike the game, like the beyond retarded egg throwing controls, the linear worlds with no real replayability... I could go on. Had it not been for the somewhat impressive graphics and nostalgia, nobody would give a fuck about Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's Story is a better game mechanically and aesthetically in almost every way.

>> No.4526648

>>4526531
I liked it too, not the best game but it was fine
It could have been harder

>> No.4526674

I’ve never played it but Yoshi’s Island isn’t that good so it’s not hard for it to be better.

>> No.4526745

>>4526531
They're both casual as fuck babysitting simulators

>> No.4526753

>>4526745
>casual
Woah guys, we've got a real Mature Gamer here.

>> No.4526759
File: 119 KB, 404x403, Your_Brain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4526759

>>4526745
>one has you taking care of a baby
>one doesn't
>"they're both casual as fuck babysitting simulators"

>> No.4526761

>>4526759
There's a way to deactivate the babysit simulator aspect of YI, but the process to unlocking it is a bit tedious: you don't have to get hit.

>> No.4526763

>>4526761
Yeah, we just covered this, there isn't one to begin with. There's literally no screaming baby, just a fun game. Not every game needs to be le hardcore xD, sometimes it's nice to just kick back with a brew and enjoy yourself for 15 minutes, and that's what makes YS a great game. Nothing is worse than a faggot who thinks a game needs to be difficult to be enjoyable.

>> No.4526765

>>4526763
It was a joke man, don't need to get so serious. It's just video games.
I'm surprised you're actually serious on your crusade difaming YI and worshipping YS, but whatever floats your boats. YS will always be the black sheep and YI will be worshipped, but I think the hate YS gets is exaggerated, it isn't a horrible game.

>> No.4526767

>>4526765
>It was a joke man, don't need to get so serious. It's just video games.
I mean, if you don't want me to call you a faggot, don't say things that a faggot would say.

>> No.4526769

>>4526767
Nah, it's still fun to remind people that the baby crying only happens when they get hit.

>> No.4526771

Both games are amazing imo. I liked the soundtracks

>> No.4526772

>>4526759
By babysitting simulator I thought he meant games designed to keep babies occupied

>> No.4526773

>>4526772
You mean like every video game ever?

>> No.4526774

>>4526769
>game isn't annoying as long as you do a damage free run
Nice

>> No.4526775

>>4526774
You can't do it?

>> No.4526784

I wish nintendo had made more 2D games for the N64 with the same style as Yoshi, really cute

>> No.4526820
File: 17 KB, 185x240, 1516077699615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4526820

>this shit again

>> No.4527003

>>4526531
>>Yoshi's Island is a babysitting simulator with shit controls and no atmosphere.

>>babysitting simulator
Still better than a baby simulator.

I hear this complaint all the time and I'll never understand it. Who honestly gets hit that much? You are a fucking unstoppable force in Yoshi's Island. You can kill enemies like 5 different ways: Eating them, spitting enemies at each other, jumping on them, butt stomping them, SHOOTING EGGS AT ANYTHING. Its ont of the only games where you can kill anything on the screen from almost anywhere. How fucking stupid do you have to be to get hit that much? You have so many attacks that it makes the game easy. Can you even play Super Mario World? Or any other Mario games? Or are they too hard too?

>>shit controls
You must be joking. The controls are amazing. I can run through almost every level without stopping or getting hit or missing a jump. Yoshi's feet are more or less tiny rectangles making it REALLY obvious where to jump/land/stand to do things. Ever played Donkey Kong Country? I suck at those. Know why? Because I still don't understand the sprites or hitboxes. The entire underside of DK is one huge, round, lumpy area. I don't know what part to land on enemies with and which part is vulnerable. Yoshi's Island makes that distinction very obvious. On top of that I've beaten Yoshi's Island on SNES, Gameboy and Emulator multiple times each so even with varying controls and lag, it still holds up. Your argument is invalid.

>>no atmosphere.

You mean the first Mario game with actual atmosphere? Everything looked like it was drawn with crayons or colored pencils. Did you not catch that? It was amazing. And so was Kirby 3 for the same reason. AND the world still felt real. Since Yoshi's Story, Yoshi games have gotten more and more surreal and uninteresting. First a popup book, then a yarn world, then a cardboard world? What is even going on? Are you even Yoshi in these games or just a fever dream he's having?

>> No.4527026

>>4527003
I'm not even done. I could post another wall of text about why Yoshi's Story is a mess and one of the most disappointing gameplay experiences of my life but I feel like I only need to make one more point: Yoshi's Story RUINED Yoshi. He used to just be a dinosaur friend who only makes a noise like animals do, usually with half-lit eyes which show he's either smug or confident or relaxed, which is what you want in an animal friend. If you're on an adventure and you're worried and on edge and you look over and your animal friend and they look relaxed, then everythings cool. Its a great feel. On top of that when we were kids we werent sure if Mario was hitting Yoshi in the back of the head to make him eat in SMW, so Yoshi also seemed very loyal and compassionate and forgiving. And responsible because of Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Story reduced him to a babbling baby with an annoying voice. You want that piece of shit by your side when you're about to walk into Mordor? Hell no. He's not a responsible companion, hes a liability. He's not responsible, he acts like a toddler. You couldn't take his ass anywhere. Its like taking a baby into a movie theater or airplane. You'd ruin everything for everyone. And now we have to hear his bullshit in every Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Sports, EVERYTHING. Because of GOD DAMNED Yoshi's Story.

Oh but NOOOO great game. So much better than Yoshi's Island. You suck.

>> No.4527028

>>4526601
>whines about people caring what other people think about video games
>opens first post with "fuck you, I liked it"

>> No.4527029

Am I the only one who thinks OP doesn't even like any Yoshi game and he just wants to stir shit?

>> No.4527032

>>4526608
>beyond retarded egg throwing controls
What? The egg controls feel like a dream.
>the linear worlds with no real replayability
Since you like Story so much, you should know that it's more about getting a high score than finding secrets.

So please, do go on.

>> No.4527036

>>4526531
At least in Yoshi's Island you're the babysitter instead of being the actual baby by liking this borderline non-game trash.

What the fuck is with this design? You just eat enough fruit and the level ends. The level just loops if you don't eat enough fruit. It feels like the most pointless, thoughtless shit. Outside of getting the hearts to unlock more levels this game basically has no level design at all, and is short as fuck to boot. Just fruit smattered everywhere that you arbitrarily a certain one of for more points, which doesn't unlock anything and doesn't feel challenging enough to make score chasing worth the bother. This game fucking blows.

>> No.4527039

>>4526774
Literally git gud, scrub.

>> No.4527045

What's with cutesy kid-friendly games always getting the angriest and most autistic fanbases and discussions?

>> No.4527046

>>4526531
Bet almost anything you were born in the 90s. You late millennials love this shitfeast.

>> No.4527048

>>4527045
We're bitter that Nintendo lost the plot and took the Sonic Team cocaine since the first one. They've all been such drastic missteps and poor imitations since. Championing any of the but the first is monumentally contrarian and tasteless.

>> No.4527050

>>4527026
>You want that piece of shit by your side when you're about to walk into Mordor?
I was going to point out the many significant flaws in your argument until I got to this part. There's no point in arguing with someone who literally has autism.

>> No.4527051

>>4527045
A lot of it is bait, don't take everything you read on this thread seriously, starting with OP.

>> No.4527052

>>4527048
I thought the one on DS (similar to Yoshi's Island) was okay.

>> No.4527056

>>4527045
Eh, fighting games, shmups and beat 'em up aren't exactly "kid friendly" and they got the most rabid and angriest fanbases around, especially when they start arguing about scoring and emulation vs real hardware.
Compared to that, this thread is pretty tame, and most people aren't even being serious.

>> No.4527059

>>4527056
I forgot about some of the elitists in those fanbases, you're right.

>> No.4527060

>>4527032
>What? The egg controls feel like a dream.
No, it doesn't. It feels like a dream in Yoshi's Story, where you actually have control over the aiming cursor instead of having to wait for it to line up with an enemy.
>Since you like Story so much, you should know that it's more about getting a high score than finding secrets.
Right, which is why Yoshi's Story is the superior game, because it too is about getting high score (much moreso, in fact), and the fun of the game comes from replaying the levels and maximizing high score by searching for secret areas that house enemies, melons, coins, hearts, etc. Yoshi's Island is, again, linear as fuck and the lack of exploration/secrets is what prevents it from being both about score-hunting AND replayability/secrets like Story is.

>> No.4527063

>>4526531
>2D platformer
>analog controls only

Yoshi's Story is complete garbage

>> No.4527064
File: 29 KB, 528x543, 1502838982162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4527064

>>4527063
>The game sucks because it has superior controls
Retard identified.

>> No.4527067

>>4527063
To be fair, some of the mechanics require the analog and would be impossible with a d-pad.

>> No.4527068

>>4527060
The score chasing sucks because there's no fucking challenge in it. You just look out for the right fruit and remain awake enough to dodge stuff to get it. There's no time limit, predators, or obstacles that would make an arcade game with a similar objective interesting. The game blows. I hate you early 20 something faggots so much. Your nostalgia is objectively wrong this time.

>> No.4527069

>>4527068
Not him, and I think you're just biting his bait. Island is the superior game.
But yes there is challenge in collecting all the fruit if you're playing for score (which means you only want to eat melons).
Some melons only appear when you overcome a challenge, sometimes with time limits, and if you fuckup, you have to start from the beginning.

>> No.4527070
File: 31 KB, 509x625, 1508449977510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4527070

>>4527068
>I hate you early 20 something faggots so much. Your nostalgia is objectively wrong this time.
>angry autistic 40 year old man is upset about his SNES game, news at 11

>> No.4527072
File: 17 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4527072

>>4527067
Like the egg aiming and walking slowing not to wake up the blind ghosts.

>> No.4527076

>>4527070
I notice it's only people in that age group who like this game. Never an exception. Could it be that only babies could be indoctrinated to like it?

>> No.4527079

>>4527072
I was thinking more about the tulips, but yeah that too.

>> No.4527083

I like it well enough, the music, art style etc.

I just felt ripped off when I got it, I sold my SNES and all my games and since I had to split the money with my sister I only had money for one N64 game.

I had always loved but never owned Yoshi's Island on the SNES, I obviously wasn't going to pass the sequel by this time around. And the game is just so easy and short that I felt "that's it".

I could've easily bought another game I was looking forward to and gotten a more rewarding experience, so even though I enjoyed it I still felt ripped off.

>> No.4527104

>>4527064
>analog
>superior

There is never an instance when analog is superior, especially not in a 2D sidescroller. Those require precision, not clumsy in-betweens.

>> No.4527106

>>4527104
Like the anon above said, the tulips actually require analog pressure

>> No.4527214

>>4526531
Are you the same guy that sperged out in the N64 thread when an anon called YS too dull, easy and lame?

>> No.4527406

>>4527060
>No, it doesn't. It feels like a dream in Yoshi's Story, where you actually have control over the aiming cursor
At the cost of not being able to move while aiming.
>instead of having to wait for it to line up with an enemy.
If you're waiting on the cursor then you're playing the game wrong.
>Right, which is why Yoshi's Story is the superior game, because it too is about getting high score (much moreso, in fact), and the fun of the game comes from replaying the levels and maximizing high score by searching for secret areas that house enemies, melons, coins, hearts, etc. Yoshi's Island is, again, linear as fuck and the lack of exploration/secrets is what prevents it from being both about score-hunting AND replayability/secrets like Story is.
Now this is just outright bullshit. Island has just as much exploration as Story. The only difference is that in Island the exploration and scoring system are optional.

>> No.4528273

Fuck you too, OP.

>>4526774
>>game isn't annoying as long as you do a damage free run
>Nice
Mario games sure are annoying, you can't even get hit twice. BAD game design!
>>4527048
More like EAD did those games (Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong 94, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) as a one time experiment and went on to develop other stuff but had someone else carry on development with mixed results.

Sometimes they strike gold like with Goodfeel's Wooly World (ex-Konami Kobe devs), sometimes less than stellar results (NoA's M&DK, New Yoshi's Island by a company whose CEO would disappear soon after to evade the yakuza). Sometimes EAD themselves spit short half-assed abortions like Yoshi's Story and Luigi Mansion without giving them due attention because they want to fill empty release years for struggling systems.
They're not the real deal, get over it already.

>> No.4528292
File: 625 KB, 694x650, SML2_Artwork_-_Wario_Alt_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4528292

R&D1 platformers > EAD platformers

Cum at me bros.

>> No.4528318

I can't explain it, but i thought there was something really unsettling about the atmosphere in this game.

>> No.4528340

>>4528318
I know what you mean. it definitely has to do with the sound/music and yoshi's animations i think

>>
Delete posts
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action