[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.76 MB, 3200x2560, Rad_Wall_1_Nate_Wren.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4517417 No.4517417 [Reply] [Original]

Am i the only one who thinks majoras mask was better than Ocarina of time?
Im not trying to be hipster and hate on oot or anything, i just think the 3 day mechanic and darker story made mm better. Thoughts?

>> No.4517424

>>4517417
Ocarina of Time had better dungeon designs, MM had better gameplay and side-quests.

>> No.4517468

>>4517417
I personally prefer MM although I like both. The threat of the moon constantly looming over you and moving closer every day is much more effective than having Ganon sit away in his tower for most of the game. They double down on the length of each section of the game so nothing really feels too short or like padding and the dungeons are a bit more involved as well. I like that characters will move around and say different things depending on where or when you talk to them. In other games they will usually just repeat the same thing over and over again so it kind of makes the world feel more alive. The threat of the end of the world looming on people that know they can't do anything to stop it is really interesting to explore and it leads to some really great character moments. The mechanic of the masks is fun because they aren't just collectables. Most of the time they have real utility.

>> No.4517529

>>4517417
Yeah man I enjoyed MM a shitload more than OoT. MM is up there among my top 3 (lttp, la, mm - honorable mention to minish cap, it played really fucking well.) The ending of MM was by far my favourite, that dreamy surreal quality was like nothing else the series has done before. Brilliant game.

>> No.4518629

>Am i the only one with this incredibly common opinion
No. No you aren't.

>> No.4519254

>>4518629
Man, he wants to be, though. This was going to be the thing that set him apart and made him unique among all the other anonymous posters.

>> No.4519648

>>4517417
The 3-day thing was tedious as fuck, it was nice for having a time trial, but going through the 3-days so many times makes it annoying. Otherwise, agree.

>> No.4519754

>>4519648
Try playing the fucking Japanese version where you can't even save without going back to the first day, especially as a kid when your parents can pull you away from the game for trivial reasons at any time.

>> No.4519856

>>4519754
Wouldn't know about that, Anon. I was 22 when Majora's Mask came out and I already had my own apartment.

But the Jap version sounds like it makes the game even more tedious than it already is.

>> No.4519883

>>4517417
MM was nice in how it expanded on the base of OoT. Consistent always visible landmarks give the world a more complete feeling. The side quests were mostly more interesting than OoT's. The masks gave enough new content through talking with npcs to make those quests feel like they mattered. They even improved on the combat with your weapons and items, and gave you 4 different fighting styles with the deku, goron, and zora masks.

But the time limit ultimately subtracts more than it adds to the gameplay. And honestly the main story is pretty bad, with a antagonist that is petty and uninteresting.

>> No.4520659

>>4519254
Nah im not trying to be a hipster non mainstream dude or anything haha. Just ive none of my mates agree and i havent really see anyone else who liked mm better.