[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 360x300, N64-360x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
451167 No.451167 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Flashcarts.

Pic related, it's the EverDrive 64 (v2, I think). It's currently the best n64 cart IMO (The only other one with similar functionality is the 64drive). I'm considering buying it, but I'm waiting to see how much the PSIO costs when it is released.

Optical Drive Emulators are welcome too.

>> No.451372

Bump.

psio.com.au

>> No.451781
File: 47 KB, 448x336, psio_proto_v1_solder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The PSIO looks good, but I've seen somebody claiming that it's a scam. I hope not. I might get one if I can access one easily.

>> No.451913

>>451781
I'm hoping it's not as well. I really like non-interchangeable systems for flashcarts/optical drive emulation (non-interchangeable meaning I don't have to put in a new piece of media for each game, like with modchips).
For example, I already have an 8GB SD card set aside for when I buy my ED64. That's big enough to hold an entire goodset, without having to change cards.
Likewise, the PSIO project goal states that, in the future, they hope to support the SDXC standard, which will mean support for up to a 2TB SD card, which would be able to hold every PSX iso ever made.

I like these concepts.

>> No.451957

Why are they so obscenely overpriced? Are they handmade with fucking diamonds or something?

>> No.451996

>>451957
Sort-of hand made. All EDs are typically expensive, but they're the best flash carts.

The ED64, believe it or not, is cheaper than just about all of it's competitors.

And if you do find one that's cheaper, you may also run into problems such as needing a donor cart to get past console security, bad functionality, low memory, ETC.

Believe me, flash carts have always been expensive. The only cheap-ish ones are for handhelds, with those being about the price of a new game.

>> No.452117

I've given this quite a bit of thought I'm not sure If I'd want to buy a flashcart. It would undobtably save me so much money. But the whole reason I bought a console, was because it keeps me attached to the game I'm playing. When I use an emulator, the first time I run into a tough spot, I give up and swap over to a new ROM since its so easy. But with a console, I dont have the entire library at hand. And I'm usually too lazy to get off the couch and swap carts/discs.

If i ever decide I want to play a rare or expensive game (like earthbound, or chronotrigger for example) then I might buy one, but chances are I'd just shell out the $60-70 bucks for a reproduction. Because the temptation to cram every damn game on there would be too high.

>>451996
Some DS carts can be bought new for $5, but they cant be upgraded, and lack a majority of the things that you'd want in a flashcart.

>> No.452129

>>452117
I really should have spell checked that.

>> No.452152

>>452117
Ah, I was mainly talking about the DSTWO (Commonly mentioned whenever someone asks about what the best DS Flashcart is)
The other one I heard was good was the R4i Gold. I'd jump on the DSTwo, but I'm waiting to see if there will be 3DS ROMs in the future, and I don't want to get stuck with a card that won't be able to play them.

>> No.452187

>>452117
>the whole reason I bought a console, was because it keeps me attached to the game I'm playing
That's exactly why I have started rebuilding a megadrive collection, damn fucking right I'm playing those games when i paid hard cash for them.

>> No.452204

>>452152
*IF* a hack is released, it will not use a ds style flashcard so you can stop worrying about that.

>> No.452220

>>451781
Don't see why anyone would think it's a scam? Maybe somebody's cheesed off about donating too late and not being able to get a prototype. I can't wait until it's released... I've been pruning my physical copies to just my favourite stuff, but obviously I'm still interested in trying the stuff I've missed out on (which is a lot). It's really Ideal for me in that sense. Not being surrounded by games I don't play keeps my mind tidy

>>452117
If you've recognised that having hundreds/thousands of roms ruins things for you, then just exercise some self-control and just put a few games on there until you're done with them. I have just 6 or 7 games on my Everdrive MD at the moment

>> No.452230

>>452220
How is the MD? I have a friend that, should he find his Genesis, would be willing to sell it to me, and I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra cash for the Mega Everdrive instead.

>> No.452236

>>452152
I've got a DSTWO coming in the mail, but I can justify that since the 3DS XL was my first DS, and I have ~10 years of game's to catch up on. I also only really care about 3DS games, and since they can't be emulated yet, I'm forced to buy them.

It keeps me from attempting the almost impossible task of finding CIB DS games, only to discover that they're shovelware shit. Seriously, why the fuck would you throw out a DS case. I mean its not like the gameboy boxes that were all paper. Do these people throw out Xbox or PSX cases too? What the fuck.

>> No.452250

>>452236
A lot of people get those carry cases with a bunch of cart slots in them i guess

>> No.452283

I heard about a new Gameboy/Gameboy Color Flash Cart named Drag N' Derp. As its name states, you just need to drag and drop the ROMs inside it, like a USB drive, unplug it and enjoy. It costs $100, so I won't buy it soon.

http://derpcart.com/

>> No.452302

what are the current limitations to the everdrive?

im considering picking one up to round out my n64 collection, are there any games it has trouble playing?

>> No.452295

So Everdrive MD or Mega Everdrive?

>> No.452330

>>452283
I would consider paying 100 if it could hold multiple saves. But since it's made just for music making it doesn't. I would sooner buy the 64m card

>> No.452339

>>452117
I know that feel all too well.. I actually regret buying my Everdrive 64 for that reason. I hardly ever play it because I've beaten all of the games I wanted to play in the first place, and I don't feel like playing any more.

I've gotten in the habit of stopping by my local pawn shop and buying a couple games every week. My collection slowly builds up but at a pace that I can get the most out of every game I buy. It's so much more worthwhile than owning all of them at once.

Still, the ED could be useful for archival purposes.

>> No.452358

>>452330
>http://derpcart.com/
Uh? I think it can hold multiple saves, according to what I've heard on other forums, and it's not just for music making. LSDJ is pretty hard to obtain in itself. Found it on ThePirateBay though if you're interested.

>> No.452372

>>452339
would you be interested in letting it go?

>> No.452405

>>452283
you know there's a GB/GBC flashcart that's only $35 right? I'd give you a link, but I lost interest in buying one after I got my DSTWO.
>dont remember the name
still might get it for my Super Gameboy though, which was the original point.

>> No.452421

Is there such a thing as a cart that allows SNES to be played on GBA?

>> No.452430

>>452302
Usually Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini are the 2 games that N64 flash carts have trouble with.

>> No.452434

Where can I get a decent Megadrive cart? Also could I just gut a shitty game and use the shell as a case?

>> No.452457

>>452372
Not at the moment, there's still a few games I need to finish...

But I will probably have to pawn it off after I do.

>> No.452463

>>452421
GBA can't handle snes emulation

>> No.452478

>>452430
There's been a patch for Banjo-Tooie that makes it playable on the EverDrive.

http://www.64scener.com/

Their site design is odd in that I can't link directly to the article.

>> No.452483

>>452421
If you mean without emulating, then no. Why would there be, they're completely different pieces of hardware. SNES emulation on the DS is ok-ish at best, on GBA it'd be abysmal.

>>452220
http://tsumi.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/brief-update-on-a-notorious-scammer-taking-over-the-psx-scene/

There's no definitive proof, but enough evidence to cast reasonable doubt on him. He's abandoned projects before, and repeatedly shown himself to be thoroughly inept. The only other person working on the project, cybdyn, seems to know what he's talking about, but he doesn't have any other projects to his name so no-one knows how reliable he might be.

>>452434
Anywhere selling the Everdrive MD.Mega Everdrive. Check Krikzz's reseller list. At least one of them usually has one in stock.

>>452295
I'd say Mega Everdrive if you don't mind the slightly higher cost. Faster, better, harder, stronger.

>>452430
JFG works if you use the [f1] ROM, I've tested it myself and it runs fine. Banjo Tooie was cracked last year, an on the fly patch was added to the ED64 OS, so the standard NTSC ROM works.

>> No.452529

>>452230
It's perfect. I think it's only worth getting the Mega Everdrive if you want to make homebrew

>> No.452551

>>452236

DSTWO is awesome. But it will eat up the battery in sleep mode. If you have the chance, get a DSi XL and use the DSTWO on it, you will not regret it.

>> No.452565

Still waiting on a flashcart for the SNES that can handle FX chip games.

>> No.452594

>>452565
SD2SNES has it on the way. Maybe another few months and it'll be done. Apparently it'll support different clock speeds, too.

>> No.452675

A couple questions.

1)Is there a Game Boy flashcart that will work on a Super Game Boy? Will the SGB enhancements remain intact when the games are played from the flashcart?

2)Same question, but this time concerning GBA games and the Game Boy Player.

>> No.454721

>>452675
I'd wait to buy a GB flashcart. They're all pretty much crap for now.

>> No.454736

>>454721
Hoping Krikzz goes back and refines the prototype GBC cart he made.

>> No.454760

>>454736
Same. Some moron keeps bugging him about making a Jag cart though, in his dev thread.

What's hilarious, though, is that someone else went in, and provided a list of numbers of games for GB/GBC, GBA, NeoGeo Pocket Color, and Jag.

There are more games for the NGPC than for Jag. Literally 67 or so Jag games.

15x the games for GB/GBC.

Fucker got told.

>> No.454771

>>454760
That guy is annoying as all hell.

>> No.454802

>>454771
I agree.

Personally, I really want to see a GBA cart with SDHC support, so that you can fit a whole goodset on it.

>> No.454812

>>454771
Agreed, can't stand him. That said, half the members on his forums seem to be about 12 years old. One guy complained that Krikzz was apparently getting lazy for not having already implemented MMC5, one of the most notoriously complicated mappers, into his famicom cart, and then only so he could play the NES prototype of Retro City Rampage.

>>454760
I'll admit I would quite like to see a Jaguar one as well. It's far more niche than GB, but it does have a moderately active homebrew scene. The only flashcart available is the discontinued Skunkboard which sold for $150 new and only held one game at a time. But I, like plenty others, would much prefer a Gameboy one, Way more fun to be had with the system. It's just a shame Krikzz said he doesn't hold much interest in the Gameboy, otherwise he'd probably have it higher priority.

>> No.454841

>>454802
I don't see it being really feasible, but I'd love a combination cart, build like a GBC cart, supports playing GBC games on a GBC, and Advance games on an Advance.

>> No.454923

>>454841
EZ Flash IV, IIRC, had that functionality.

Unfortunately, SuperCard never implemented SDHC compatibility, locking the EZFIV at a 2GB max.

>> No.455018

>>454923
I've never been able to get GB/GBC games with saves to work properly with my EZFIV no matter what I try. (Goomba)

As for the 2GB limit, even if you load it up with all the good GBA games you'll still have tons of space left over.

>> No.458352

>>455018
I forget who it was but someone on youtube had a video and him and people commenting on his video figured out how to make it work.

Don't know it off the top of my head though.

>> No.458561

>>454812
It's always annoying when someone thinks they know what the hell they're talking about and gets upset when someone doesn't do what they want on the time schedule they think they should.

>> No.461623

>>458561
Agreed.
Really, it's more a case of a guy just super fucking wanting something, and being pissed when others don't want that same thing.

>> No.461926

Should I get one of those 64mb flashcarts and a save backup for my GB/GBC? As far as I know this is the best choice at the moment.

>> No.462993

>>461926
Best choice at the moment. I'd wait another 6 months or so, to see if Krikzz happens to refine his GB cart.

>> No.466283

>>462993
Thanks, will do.

>> No.470372
File: 111 KB, 500x333, gallery_202697_985_72349.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>451167
I always wondered if it would be possible to buy blank gba carts somewhere, copy pokemon games to them, and actually have them function flawlessly like a real pokemon game? including trading maybe? not for resale and not cheap knockoff shit. I'm just curious if it could be done.

>> No.470386

>>470372
No. Not even pirate carts work that way, and Pokemon is so commonly pirated that it's almost an art to find the real ones.

>> No.470402

>>452675
>2)Same question, but this time concerning GBA games and the Game Boy Player.

Most GBA Flashcarts are now long gone and not made anymore. The only one still actively sold is the EZ Flash IV, but it doesn't have an RTC. It does work with the Player though.

>> No.470412

>>470386
What's blocking it from happening? some kind of encryption?

I mean, it'd be cool to imagine 20 years in the future when someone cracks that encryption, and we're all battling online with our favorite gba rom hacks.

>> No.470421
File: 1.15 MB, 2592x1456, Everdrive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>451167
This is my super everdrive. Made a custom sticker for it, and kinda fucked up the screwholes when I burnt out the security screws. Works great though. My favorite thing is that it played hacked roms, so I got a lot of new SMW levels and a whole new Zelda to play. Plus 2 chrono triggers and all the classics.

>> No.470439

>>470421

That looks pretty cool!

>> No.470471

>>470439
Thanks. Didn't take long to make it. Had to gut an old baseball game for it (oh no!). Was fun too.

In lieu of a title on the top part of the sticker it's just some lemmings walking across the space.

>> No.471005
File: 153 KB, 640x588, cxzIw0H.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>470421
Speaking of custom stickers, is there a website that has custom made labels for everdrives?

>> No.471060

>>471005
Not that I'm aware of. I printed mine out at a kinkos and my girlfriend has a sticker maker. It's pretty easy to just shop one together. Find sprite sheets etc. If you want mine I can post it, but it's not really a label so much as a picture with related shit on it.

>> No.475650

>>470421
what the hell is happening to link?