[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 71 KB, 640x640, metroid2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4499548 No.4499548 [Reply] [Original]

Metroid 2 is the best Metroid game

>> No.4499550

Metroid 2 is a Metroid game

>> No.4499552

Metroid 2 is a Metroid game on Game Boy

>> No.4499564

>>4499548
Correct

>> No.4499575

Metroid 2 was my first gameboy game, and holy fuck was it scary.

>> No.4499605

>>4499548
Darn right

>> No.4499710

Well its the original horror game after all

>> No.4500407

I hope they remake it someday

>> No.4500731

>>4499548
I like metroid 2 a lot but I enjoy it for a different set of reasons than say prime or super.

>> No.4502427

the remakes miss the point

>> No.4502437

Super is the only one that's even good

>> No.4502482

>>4500407
oh yooou!

>> No.4503256

>>4502427
the ending to samus returns was a fucking travesty.

>> No.4503273
File: 230 KB, 1920x1080, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Minimalist level design. Best soundtrack, if you're into field recordings and lowercase music. Sp00kiest in the series, for you feel truly alone miles and miles beneath the planet's surface.

The remake was pretty good, but I can't blame the nerds for their outrage. Games like Return of Samus remind me that I was born in the right generation.

God-hint: hook that shit to a tv, (via your GC or whatever), and play it with all the lights out and with decent stereo. Grab your weed, some juice and a snack, it'll be a comfy night.

>> No.4503281

>>4499548
Of the 4 2D Metroid games, II is probably my favorite, too. The tapered, but not too linear exploration was very nice, and the map layout was really fun to navigate and explore.

However, the lower areas were fucking impossible to navigate without a map. Everything looks exactly the same after a while.

>> No.4503369

>>4503273
Also, forgot the name of it, but that one ability where Samus can stick to the walls or ceilings is the best of any Metroid game. Adds a whole new dynamic of exploration and tackling obstacles.

>> No.4503419

>>4503369
Spider Ball.

>> No.4503450

>>4499552
also on game boy pocket

>> No.4503460

>>4503273
>Best soundtrack
yes. I even find the aesthetic immersive as hell, once you get into it and that tiny window becomes a claustrophobic maze of tunnels.

>> No.4503509

>>4499548
If you ignore all the other 2D ones that is correct.

>> No.4503532
File: 1.63 MB, 178x237, 225t1q.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4499548
i thought there was going to be something nice for all the trouble i went through, but alas... just death awaits the glitch gamer.

>> No.4503541

>>4503419
That's it, wish Super Metroid had that ability, added a whole new dimension of tactical exploration. Especially that one room where the ceiling looked like a mountain and there were castle like structures underneath, I remember spending hours in there trying to find everything and figure it all out, it seemed like it was endless.

>> No.4503549

>>4499548
I disagree.
Upscalling the sprite by 5 pixels (Metroid 2 was set at 37x37, not 32x32) for a screen that was so much smaller was a huge mistake. The black and white was just a hardware limitation where they only had 4 shades of grey to work with, and with such a limit in palette they had to work with more of the design, but what with everything being slightly larger, ended up clogging the screen up.
The music is pretty awful by comparison to all other metroid games, save it be the Prime series which has some good tracks but some pretty generic orchestral music in plenty of areas, whereas my complaint about Metroid 2's soundtrack is that it only has 3 really memorable tracks and the others are just ambient blip-bloop.
The game wasn't intended to be scary, you can easily tell by the fact that Metroid 1 is done in full on Neon 8-bit color palette, and then once you get to Super Metroid it became a 16-bit color palette, and while not completely neon and kiddy, it still wasn't all that creepy, followed up by all the other titles in the series which were also not all that creepy/scary/terrifying in general. It's a game for kids, and it's obvious that Metroid 2 wasn't the most well thought out of the series and it was only pushed so hard by Nintendo at the time so they could have a title out on the hot new gimmick, which was portable gaming at the time. It was a step between NES and SNES, but it wasn't the best move they could have made.

I still like Metroid 2, don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, it's just not the best one. There's enough going against it that really knocks it down a few pegs for me.

>> No.4503552

Top Tier:
Super Metroid

High Tier:
Metroid

Mid Tier:
Zero Mission

Low Tier:
Fusion

Shit Tier:
Metroid 2

>> No.4503576

>>4499710
That'd be Alien3

>> No.4503607

>>4503549
>other metroid games weren't meant to be scary
>therefore metroid 2 wasn't meant to be scary
brilliant logic there sherlock. next you'll be explaining to us that zelda 2 wasn't meant to be a sidescroller.

>> No.4503673

>>4499548
Sorry man, but Super Metroid is pretty much a perfect game.

I played it for the first time last month. No blind nostalgia. Never experienced anything about it. None of the others come close. It's a masterpiece.

It's seriously close to perfect. I played 2 a lot as a kid and it's a shit game. Conceptually, I like it a lot, but execution wise it failed. The gameboy is a shit platform for a game in this style. The limited colour palette, and lack of features made it way more difficult than it needed to be.

>> No.4503695

>>4503673
I played Super for the first time last year and feel the same. It's basically the perfect 2D game, a real masterpiece. I've never played the original Metroid 2 but I played AM2R at the same time as Super and really enjoyed it too, felt like it was only slightly worse than Super.

>> No.4503719

>>4502427
I'm playing through it now and it's not bad. There's no dialogue and you essentially have to find out everything on your own, nothing is explicitly told to you. As far as Metroid games go, it's an improvement over the last few (Other M in particular). The scan pulse makes exploration too easy though.

It really needs more enemy variety though. The entire game I've been fighting the same goddamn bats. Also, the backtracking is awful. I get that it's part of a Metroidvania type game but this game really makes a point of showing you a power-up that's obviously locked behind a bunch of screw attack blocks, essentially flipping you the bird and telling you you'll have to come back if you really want those three goddamn extra missiles. There's too much of these situations in this game. Better would be to have a few locations in older areas that you can open up with one of the later upgrades, giving you extra areas to explore, instead of just a single missile upgrade in some rock.

>> No.4503765

>>4503719
the backtracking was really bad and noticeably tacked on. m2 has no map but doesn't need it because it's inherently linear. sr's map reduces the exploration factor considerably. remember, this is the game that introduced spider ball and space jump. so they added all the gated-off powerups, as if going through areas you've already explored counted as exploration.

and the backtracking got you, what? power bombs? guess what's the only thing you can do with power bombs? FIND MORE POWER BOMBS. what was the fucking point?

>> No.4504202

>>4503607
Lets go ahead and toss out some basic logic here. If it's a game centered around kids, and the rest of the series didn't end up with that aesthetic to any real degree whatsoever, it's pretty easy to tell things weren't going that particular direction, otherwise the creators would have stuck with it.
Same with Super Metroid Samus being a toned-up muscle chick. You'll note it only happened in 1 title.

>> No.4504205

>>4504202
Or it was just early experimentation that they intended to try, but decided not to repeat. It can be intentional even if it's not the same as the sequels, you know?

>> No.4504208

>>4504205
I dunno mate, Metroid 2 was so bad that it's the game Nintendo forgot until someone else had completed a remake of it in Fusion/Zero Mission style textures and then they decided to do a remake of it because the public had proved they wanted it.

And if your only complaint is about everything that I said up there is that it isn't intended to be creepy, I gotta say, that's the least of the issues I posted.

>> No.4504383

>>4503549
>terrible music
Confirmed shit taste. The music is very creepy and matches the game's aesthetic perfectly, also the screeching sound effects the Metroids make in battle along with the beeping music is off putting as fuck. The sound in this game was brilliantly done.

It never felt cluttered to me either, but this issue is easily mitigated by later playing it on Super Game Boy which breathed new life into a lot of games which the original gameboy wasn't fully able to capture due to backlight issues and other limitations.

>>4504208
>so bad that it's the game Nintendo forgot
A lot of great games have been forgotten by Ninentdo, this makes no sense. Of course the public wanted a remake, Metroid was a popular series but the earlier games are difficult for casual gamers to get into, so they got casualized remakes with colorful graphics and fast paced Super Metroid gameplay.

>> No.4504542

>>4504383
>A lot of great games have been forgotten by Nintendo
Nope, not even remotely true. The ones that were so great either got remakes on their own or have been syndicated on multiple platforms. SMB1 will never die. SMB2 is meh at best and I hardly see it. SMB3 gets put on everything, including the fact that it got put on GBA. Metroid in general is the IP that Nintendo doesn't care about. It has some of the better games they've released over the years, but they didn't bother syndicating 2 at all, whereas Metroid 1 got put on everything under the sun and people still talked about how great Super Metroid was. When Metroid Fusion came out, it was kind of a disappointment as far as the games go, which is why of all things, Metroid 1 got a remake. Metroid 1 has been on NES, it's been on GameboyAdvance, it's even been on Wii Shop.
Most titles that got majorly cared about were put there first because it was the easiest cash grab. Nintendo hasn't given two fucks about their fanbase in a long time, otherwise they would have listened when people said they wanted a Metroid 2 remake over a decade ago.

>> No.4505627

>>4504542
>SMB2 is meh at best and I hardly see it. SMB3 gets put on everything, including the fact that it got put on GBA.
did you forget that smb2 was literally a gba launch title

>> No.4505710

>>4503552
Imagine having such plebian taste.

>> No.4505770

>>4505627
No, I just don't hear enough about it outside of this board for it to really matter.

>> No.4506308

>>4504542
>Metroid in general is the IP that Nintendo doesn't care about.

I don't know man. It was in a slump for a while, it's true, but 'doesn't care about'? I'm not sure where you got the idea that Fusion was poorly received, it has 92% on Metacritic. It might've been kind of poorly received by fans due to the heavier emphasis on plot and dialogue but it sold well, which is literally the only thing that matters to Nintendo. There's also the Prime series, games which you may or may not enjoy but which were great in their own regard and which is now finally getting a new game.

It was only after the backlash after Other M that Nintendo seemed to shy away from making another mainline Metroid game. Backlash which, frankly, was a bit exaggerated since Other M would've been great if it didn't have the ridiculously bullshit plot and didn't turn Samus into a meek girl who needs permission from her bf to use her goddamn missiles. The gameplay itself was pretty decent.

Also, were people even clamoring for a Metroid 2 remake so long ago? Although many people on /vr/ seem to like it, they seem to be a vocal minority, too, kind of like the people who prefer Zelda II. It made more sense to remake Metroid 1, too, as it was more historically important and all that. The Pokémon series also remade Red and Green before remaking Gold and Silver even though the latter are the better games.

>> No.4506393

>>4502437
>actually thinking this
fucking kek

>> No.4506507

Metroid 2 is the only one that's about hunting a bounty.

>> No.4506519

>>4506308
Seriously, Other M came off as a sexist submission fanfic. If it was released in this climate of cuntplainers the dev team would've been hanged.

>> No.4506563

>>4503673
>The gameboy is a shit platform for a game in this style. The limited colour palette, and lack of features made it way more difficult than it needed to be.

But they reworked the game style to work for a greyscale handheld. The M2 Map is completely different from any other Metroid game in that you basically don't need to backtrack at all, you drop into a new exploration area, go all around until a barrier is eliminated, and you go further. The exploration is centered around bite size areas so you can't wander off too mch.

Good handheld game design involves being able to play in short bursts and quickly being able to turn it off and restart at a moment's notice and be able to easily go back in.Back in the day this was due to battery life so you wanted to be able to easily save without losing too much time, and also because most of the audience was kids who's have to be ready to stop playing at a second's notice. You might feel lost or confused in M2, but the design ensures that you can never get so lost it takes you hours to reorient yourself unless you purposefully play dumb.

>> No.4506824

>>4506308
I agree that the Prime series was good, actually. I really liked them, but I don't talk about them here since 1999 and prior is the standard for console talk.
Compared to most other major Nintendo IPs, Metroid gets the least attention, even considering Earthbound, which sold horribly when it first came out. Compare to the mascot of Nintendo, Mario, you can't really even see Metroid.
Quick timeline for releases.
Metroid 1 is released in '86, M2 in '91, Super in '94, and then a whole 8 years pass before we get Prime and Fusion in '02. Prime 2 and Zero Mission in '04, Prime Pinball in '05 which was a shit title, Prime Hunters in '06, Prime 3 in '07, at which point there was another 2 year wait just for the 3 Prime games to be rereleased on Wii with Wii controls. I don't count that as a new title, personally. So, we had a good run, then a 3 year wait until Other M comes out in '10, and pretty much kills the series, because 6 years later they decide to put out Federation Force, which removes everything that makes a Metroid game a Metroid game. And because Nintendo is always looking for cash, they C&D a dude who remade a game they didn't care about and then did their own and acted like they had totally planned it.
So, we have roughly 7 decent/good Metroid games that span 21 years.

Lets look at Mario.
SMB1 - '85
SMB2 - '88
SMB3 - '88
SMW - '90
SMK - '92
SML2 -'92
SMRPG - '96

That's 7 decent/good titles in the space of 11 years and technically there's a lot more than that seeing as Mario actually gets his start in DK1981.
If that's not enough, look at the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon is also a Nintendo owned IP. They release a game roughly every year. Legend of Zelda? Same deal, pretty much. Out of the larger and well known Nintendo IP's Metroid falls at the bottom of the list, pretty much. I love Metroid, it's one of my favorite games, but Castlevania has had a better run than Metroid has. Pretty much any other Nintendo series has had a better run than Metroid.

>> No.4507058

>>4506824
Comparing to pokemon isn't really fair as they are made by a separate company (game freak).

Earthbound is extremely popular but gets almost no Nintendo attention. It only has 3 mainline games and 2 Smash characters. Not sure if they're working on something new though.

I do feel like in the last decade or so, Metroid got put on the back burner whereas Fire Emblem got tons more attention.

>> No.4507353

>>4507058
I can agree with that, but pretty much every Nintendo IP gets more attention.
And you're right, Pokemon is an unfair comparison seeing as Gamefreak produces them, Nintendo just funds it and owns a third of the stock.
Earthbound is extremely popular as well, and while not getting new titles as far as I know, gets promoted out the ass.
Fire Emblem also has a good long run and has only recently started putting out bad games.

>> No.4507506

>>4507353
Promoted in what way? It got some ports for the Virtual Console, but it didn't get any remakes and Mother 3 still doesn't have an official translation. I'm pretty sure all retro Metroid titles have been available on the VC far longer than Mother and Earthbound, too. It's honestly kind of baffling from an economic point of view, since I'm sure an Earthbound remake for DS or Switch would make far more money than Samus Returns did, and even so much as releasing a translated Mother 3 on the VC (can't be that cost-intensive to hire a few people to translate and proofread your game for a company like Nintendo if fan translators do it for free) would net them thousands of sales at probably 10-15 bucks a pop.

I gotta say I did like FE: Echoes (which is retro as it is a remake of Gaiden), but Fates was pretty awful (although I did like the gameplay in general and some of the characters).

My point was not so much about game quality but rather what games Nintendo focused on though, and Metroid has had a decent amount of focus until Other M, after which Nintendo started focusing on other franchises like Fire Emblem. The output of games wasn't as high as for, say, Mario, but it's also not much lower as Zelda.Look here at the /vr/ LOZ titles:

LOZ1 - '87
LOZ2 - '88
ALTTP - '91
LA - '93
OoT - '98
MM - '00
OoA - '01
OoS - '01

You'll see that in the same 11 years as you mentioned above that there were only 4 games, only one more than Metroid's 3 games. After LA, there was a 5-year gap before OoT came out. Admittedly after that they've been coming out pretty much every two years, but my point is mostly that there was a time when Zelda and Metroid were about equally big.

>> No.4507531

>>4503541
At least it came back in Prime 1, though far less interesting and more limited.

>> No.4507637

>>4507506
You are correct, but that's still more going towards Zelda and pretty much anything other than Metroid. It was holding with Zelda for a bit, but it got passed and left in the dust.
Virtual Console isn't all though.
Earthbound at least got a re-release on GBA. Sure we got a remake of Metroid 1, which makes sense, but what about all the clamoring for Super Metroid re-releases? Didn't happen until VC. Nintendo has missed a lot of opportunity to rake in the dosh on Metroid releases. Even after Fusion's reception they could have easily salvaged everything by putting out Super Metroid again, and I'm speaking as a person who really hates the re-release polka that Nintendo has been doing in recent years.
Would I have bought it? No, I still have my original copy and it works just fine. But would it have sold? Most likely. Can't say for certain, mainly because it's a big "what if" scenario and there's too many factors.

But yeah, Nintendo looks at Metroid and says "Can we do literally anything else?" as far as I can tell.

>> No.4507821

You: Metroid II is actually a horror game. You REALLY feel like you're completely alone on this deserted planet where danger is always lurking and the small restricting screen size of the Game Boy helps solidify this feeling. THAT's real horror done right, not your FNAF jumpscare shit.

Me: Get Laid Bro.

>> No.4507831

>>4507821
?

>> No.4507928

>>4507821
>Telling someone to get laid
>On 4chan
Kek, wow, I'm sure this guy is super successful in life.

>> No.4508030

>>4507831
>>4507928
Me: Spotted the Metroid II manbabies who pee their pants at the sight of a metroid alpha gently hovering in their vicinity.

>> No.4508046

>>4508030
?

>> No.4508053

>>4508046
"......."

>> No.4508073

>>4506563
The palette change on gbc/gba also add depth that the original gb lacked.

>> No.4508078

>>4508030
I'm the guy who said Metroid 2 definitely wasn't creepy nor was it the best Metroid game.
Nice try tho.

>> No.4508782

>>4508053
?