[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 80 KB, 1200x884, 1200px-Dreamcast_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4490354 No.4490354 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/, I just picked up my first Dreamcast. I'm having a little trouble with the VGA out right now (none of my CRTs take VGA and my HDTVs aren't playing nice with it). Would it be sacrilege to get an HDMI upscaler for this thing, and if that's a good option do you guys have any recommendations?
Other than that, just looking for any must-have games to kick off my collection.

>> No.4490451

>>4490354
Good purchase op you'll have lots of fun with it! Essentials for me are crazy taxi, shenmue 1+2, jet set radio, maken X, perhaps sonic adventure, skies of Arcadia and definetly grandia 2

>> No.4490525

>>4490354
You absolutely NEED wetrix. Its a super cheap puzzle game and its really unique and very addicting.

Also Phantasy Star Online is fun, its just each mission takes 1-2 hours and I haven't found a way to save during a mission.

>> No.4490608

I've not used it but the toro is supposed to be a good option.

I know a lot of people shit on it, but I actually enjoyed sonic adventure 2. It's not genesis level sonic, but it was kind of a fun thing.

Bangai-o is quite a fun one too. Typing of the dead is great fun if you can type, or probably a good teacher if you can't. Space channel 5 is some fun shit, you'll laugh at the waifu level visuals. The fishing games are also pretty fun with fishing controller.

>> No.4490614

>>4490354
If you want hilarity, buy NBA 2K1, create 2 entire rosters of obese basketball players with afros who are amazing at dunking, then have the AI play both of them.

>> No.4490635

>>4490354
I just got one for Christmas, but I knew ahead of time, so I bought some games for it. Grandia II, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and Sonic Shuffle. Those + Sonic Adventure 1-2 are my favorite games thus far. Seaman is also a really interesting game, and Draconius Cult of the Wyrm is a really fun adventure/action game, and it's the spiritual successor to Die by the Sword.

>> No.4490851

Jet Grind/Set Radio is a blast, other recommendations already posted are great! I've had mixed success with cheap VGA converter boxes but I'm sure someone else here can give better advice.

Also burn yourself a copy of Propeller Arena, fun as fuck.

>> No.4490853

>>4490635
Seaman is awesome but I paid way too much for it (around $70 with mic). If you can find a cheap mic it's fun to play around with.