[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.45 MB, 322x214, 1356377987829.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
448312 No.448312 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /vr/. Its my first time posting here so I don't know if its the right place.

I have never played Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura before and I just got it.
I've played fallout 1-2 before for allot of time and now this character creation system confuses me.
So to my question :

What character should I play? I'd like something with guns or a mage. Pros and Cons of them both.
If I play mage, what kind of it should I ?
I read somewhere that gunmans spend allot of money for amno. Is that true?
What kind of backround should I choose for both of them? What skill build to use?

>> No.448691
File: 505 KB, 200x200, 1365368063545.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tech is fun but difficult.

Mage is easy. Grab Harm, and you're set.

Don't play a hybrid since the game penalizes you for it.

Read this, friendo:
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_And_Magick_Obscura

>> No.449170

>>448691
appreciate.

>> No.449374

http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4136

>> No.450489

>>448691

>Mage is easy

Why does everyone always say this but I find it so hard, I keep constantly running out of mana. I can't finish a dungeon without having to go outside and rest every time I kill 2 enemies

>> No.450620

>>450489
Grab some potions.
Spend character points on Con or directly on Stamina; spending them directly on Stamina gives more per point, but raising your Con also increases your regen rate.
Get a magical staff (possibly other weapons as well, not sure), they act as stamina batteries for magic and recharge parallel to your own stamina.
Consider using summons instead of spamming damage spells; the higher level summons are pretty damn powerful.

>> No.450719

>>450620
Also, if you are playing as a pure mage (as in no tech, not necessarily no weapons) try to get your magickal aptitude to 100 as quick as possible. It will make your damaging spells more effective and will also give you passive protection against all tech-based attacks.

>> No.450726

Is there a viable gun build, or are they just myth and legends?

>> No.450823

>>450726
Yeah, kind of. It's not as simple or as powerful as a melee murder machine but the general idea is to pump Firearms, Perception, and Dexterity (in roughly that order). You may also want to branch into Explosives in order to make your own bullets since it's significantly cheaper than buying them.

It meshes well with tech skills in general since some of the best guns in the game can only be made.

>> No.450862

>Get Agility of Fire immediately
>Spam Agility of Fire
>Rape everything

Didn't play that long though, probably doesn't work well after a while.

>> No.450917

>>450862
It works fine, but you need to maintain the spells, which hinders Stamina regen (or even drains it, if the spells are tiring enough).
Also, if you raise your combat skills while under the effects of AoF, and you drop below the minimum Dex, your combat skills will also be lowered.

>> No.451083

I usually just practice my throwing skills and use some dynamite or grenades