[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 15 KB, 220x272, Gabriel_Knight_-_Sins_of_the_Fathers_cover_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4472550 No.4472550 [Reply] [Original]

I have been wanting to play this game for a long time now. First I got it from GoG years ago but the Dosbox version had some nasty crackling sound in pretty much every single line of dialogue. This apparently is a known problem but I never found out how to fix it.

So I waited for this game being supported in ScummVM, hoping that it would play back the dialogue without the crackling. And FINALLY ScummVM 2.0.0 is out with full support for GK1 but when I fired it up yesterday it sounded EXACTLY like the Dosbox version. I tried playing around with the sound settings but the crackling always stayed.

Does anyone know how to fix this in ScummVM or Dosbox?

>> No.4473157

bump

>> No.4473173

I had the same problem on DosBOX and I got it working by increasing the CPU cycles. I can't remember how much, but I guess you can figure it out by trying by yourself.

>> No.4473225

>>4472550
Try these:

1. Run INSTALL.EXE, set audio to ThunderBoard
2. Use a somewhat older DOSBox version (0.70 or 0.71 or 0.72 or 0.73, don't exactly remember which one, but NOT 0.74)

I recall the pop/crackle going away when selecting ThunderBoard as the audio device in a past DOSBox version, but I couldn't reproduce it just now. Maybe it has to do with the amount of cycles?

I own the game on a physical CD-ROM, don't know if the GOG release includes INSTALL.EXE (for many Sierra games they apparently don't).

>> No.4473620

>>4472550
IIRC you can fix it by using vdmsound. Haven’t played it in ages though.

>> No.4473650

>>4472550
Looks like you downloaded a really old GOG version of the game. Go get the newest version. It doesn't have the sound crackling.

>> No.4474617

>>4473650

My installer is from 2014, has it been fixed since? I didn't see any changelog.

>> No.4474657

Ok, absolutely nothing worked. I tried all of this:

1. Changing the sound to ThunderBoard
2. Changing the CPU cycles
3. The newest GOG installer
4. Every single sound output option Dosbox or ScummVM has to offer

I just found this thread on the gog.com forums:

https://www.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knight_series/to_settle_things_about_gk1_sound_quality

It says that the crackling sounds are part of the audio and that there is no way to fix this. Can this be true? The crackling does indeed always appear in the exact same spots of the dialogue for me.

>> No.4474669

I just checked a bunch of Let's Play video on Youtube, comparing the opening scene in the book store. Every single one of them has the exact same crackling sounds in the same places.