[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 141 KB, 650x366, GOGGALAXY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4429641 No.4429641 [Reply] [Original]

I came to noticed that I had a lot of GoG installed on my system and it started to feel scattered (not really since I later realized that I've been installing them to a subfolder in my steamapps folder) and I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall of all my games since I rarely played it so I could install and try GoG Galaxy and reinstall them in one place just for the sake of organization. It's pretty nice having all of my games be installed within my Steam, Origin, and GoG Galaxy client folders and this client is actually pretty nice for being a minimalist, simplistic, gaming browser. It does everything you'd need a gaming client to do.

However, I am a little upset knowing that I am most likely contributing to the death of DRM free classic games. I really hope that GoG doesn't stop being DRM-free.

Is it wrong that I actually like their GoG Galaxy client? Because I feel horrible right now.

>> No.4429653

>>4429641
Drm is evil in any form, and gog isn't any more "old" for gaming, now it's full of shitty new indie

>> No.4429676

>>4429641
You could have just been more careful and installed your games into one folder of your choosing. You don't need the client for that.

>> No.4429698

What are some games from there?

>> No.4429874

>>4429641
I mean, I use it too, because it's convenient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it literally just a download manager? It's not like it's adding any DRM.

>> No.4429887

>>4429874
Yes, but it's a bit of a slippery slope.
Some games require GOG Galaxy for online multiplayer, which is effectively DRM.

>> No.4429898

DRM is a joke, absolutely nothing can stop piracy, the more anyone tries to pull in the reins, the more people are just going to rebel and retaliate and undermine the entire concept of media ownership.

>> No.4429907

>>4429898
No doubt. Shit like Denuvo is being cracked within a week now.

The point is though, it's really nice to be able to buy official copies DRM free, and it's not something we want to loose.

>> No.4429947

>>4429887
But how is that any different than GoG providing their own multiplayer servers for online gaming?

>>4429653
>Drm is evil in any form
But DRM allows companies to protect their properties. Isn't this one security measure of capitalism?

>> No.4429950

>>4429898
That is illegal, though, and you are starting to sound like a communist with that talk of no media ownership.

>> No.4429954

>>4429950
Well, most millennials nowadays seem to believe that communism is a better system to live under. We're heading for a second awakening of communism so you better get ready or else none of us may survive the second wave. Then again, I suppose the second wave could be more successful than the first.

>> No.4429959

>>4429907
Triple A games are dying anyway, we're going to be transitioning to an ad revenue or subscription model soon enough. (likely both)

>> No.4429960

>>4429950
>>4429954
Actually the political system I advocate is something I like to call a heroic meritocracy.

>> No.4429964

>>4429960
That's not capitalism and therefore you're a god damn hedonist.

>> No.4429967

>>4429959
That's bullshit. People are starting to get tired of micro-transactions and freemium gaming.

>>4429653
What is wrong with indie games? Most of them are actually pretty fun and have a retro vibe to them.

>> No.4429968

>>4429959
>[SCREAMING INTENSIFIES]
If that ever happens I'm going to stop buying new games entirely.

>> No.4429971

>>4429968
You should just start to gas the millennials and do the world a favor instead of being a fat sack of shit like most Gen Xer's.

>> No.4429986

>>4429971
¿Que?

>> No.4430027

>>4429964
Capitalism allows for more widespread hedonism than anything else tho

>> No.4430032

>>4429947
>But DRM allows companies to protect their properties. Isn't this one security measure of capitalism?
no, it allows company to treat patron as criminals,
while pirates download their cracked copies and play hassle free without internet requirement, without inserting the cdrom, without some fuckup system scanner taking up your resources decrypting game data on the fly to assert that you're running a legit copy.

youre in /vr/, imagine not being able to play some of your favotire singleplayer or lan games because the DRM servers have gone offline long ago, or computers dont come with disk drives and that DRM diskete is useless now (just making an analogy to DRM cdrom)

>> No.4430041

Should I get Turok on Steam or gog?

>> No.4430046

>>4430041
Gog. Help support DRM free games.

>> No.4430050

>>4429967
I didn't say micro-transactions. What I mean is that you would purchase the hardware and then pay the publisher a subscription fee to have access to their catalogue (including back-catalogue), which would generally all contain product placement. The developer would have to continue providing support for the online communities or producing enticing content to maintain subscriptions, but could potentially make explosive profits, especially if they were to include online games like MMORPGs that can sustain player interest and investment for an extended period of time after releases.

A new videogame today could cost 40-80 dollars, and take years to develop, but what if you could get them to pay 10 dollars every month for a year and continually "sell" older releases by including them? Tie in royalties or residuals for the ones who actually make the games to insensitivise the production of more content or contracts from 3rd party developers and you could easily breath new life into the industry itself.

Then you could have small groups of less than 40 people making smaller development houses that churn out indie scene and B-list games because there's actual profit in being added to a larger publisher's catalogue and receiving residual payments for every subscriber that plays your game during their month of subscription, and you'd see a resurgence of the kind of game design that was possible in the 80s and 90s. It would be a shit ton better than trying to get people to pay 10 bucks just to try your game, when you could be getting them to try it for a nominal fee that they've already payed, removing the entry barrier to exposure, and making more money depending on how often or frequently they return to play it or how many people the game spreads to.

>> No.4430053

>>4430032
>youre in /vr/, imagine not being able to play some of your favotire singleplayer or lan games because the DRM servers have gone offline long ago, or computers dont come with disk drives and that DRM diskete is useless now (just making an analogy to DRM cdrom)
Once they transition to newer technology the older tech can and will be cracked without much consequence. The stupid thing about DRM is that it's inherently ineffectual, it does nothing to stop people who actually are intent on pirating from doing so.

>> No.4430120

>>4430053
How are you going to crack a game like diablo 3, where almost everything apart from the art assets are serverside?

>> No.4430127

>>4429907
>No doubt. Shit like Denuvo is being cracked within a week now.

handball 17

>> No.4430129

>>4429641
yes, I am 35 and I dont enjoy things like a client. I actually enjoy installing little exes from my external harddrive onto my laptops and uninstalling them ez pz from the windows deinstaller

>> No.4430196

>>4430129
> using the windows deinstaller
> not using add/remove programs

Found the hipster.

>> No.4430201

>>4430120
You can just brute force into their servers and download the necessary files to your PC then upload it and get the game to work without the need to be serverside. Grow a fucking backbone, you millennial trash.

>> No.4430276

>>4430050
You make right assumptions, but come to ridiculously wrong conclusion. pseudo-ubscription-based "game as service" is what lead to the modern perpetually-in-development-forever-incomplete games.

If your work is evaluated on how long and how often your game is played, then you as a dev would be much more incentivised to padding the gameplay, slicing shit into small pieces to turn "chunk one time play" into something people have to return to if they actually want to play through the game completely.
You already see this shit in f2p and mobile market. This is the direction that model leads to and in no way does it leads to the more complete games and oldschool gaming experiences.

>> No.4430279

>>4430120
You could download local server emulator for years now, anon.

>> No.4430330

>>4430050
So you're saying we're returning to the days of Arcades except that the Arcades are now mobile?

>> No.4430619

>>4430276
you say this like there's something wrong with a game like bioshock or a classic jrpg being released episodically and not intended to being played for more than 1-3 hours at a time

it would be enough to have 2 hours of gameplay a month.

churning out tons of addictive time wasters and multiplayer online games wouldn't be an effective strategy because you'd also have to compete with all other games of that type, rather than taking up the market share that the other kinds of games people want to play would be holding

>> No.4430637

>>4430330
if you could play all of capcom or sega's retro catalogue for 25 cents a credit, would you?

>> No.4430639

>>4429641
There's no DRM in the Galaxy client you dumb faggot

>> No.4430649

>>4429641
I dont understand why people install steam. Its such a big hog trojan that has so many possibilities of fucking you over one day. Kinda like google beeing on almost every website nowadays. Like you install a fucking google browser plugin for voicechat in your firefox and when you go to any website it loads content from google like fonts, or ads, and has basically access on any website to your cam and voice and probably everything else like your screen as you can also send very easily your screen via google hangouts from anywebsite as its the same domain for them...

Games are the most complicated things to code, so have a webbased game service like steam gives them alot of options...

>> No.4430657

>>4430639
You aren't the brightest light... Galaxy client is drm itself. Its an online service that tracks your downloads on your harddrive. And who knows what else. It's not the first time someone sneak shit into an update without mentioning it and removing it later without mentioning it:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/11/google-admits-to-using-undocumented-api-in-google-mobile-app/

>> No.4430705

>>4430657
That's still not DRM though. Is it digital rights management? Does it restrict what you can or can't play based on your rights to the digital property? No it does not, so therefore it's not DRM

>> No.4432660

>>4429641
>i came to blogged
FTFY

>> No.4432737

>>4430657
Galaxy has no DRM. You can play games without running the client. You can even delete the client and play the games if you want.

>Its an online service that tracks your downloads on your harddrive
If you download something from their servers, they're going to have a record of it. How else are you supposed to get the games other than download them? That's not DRM if they simply know you have their games.

>> No.4432768

>>4429641
There's nothing wrong with a program that organizes your shit
Just play your games and enjoy them without thinking about whether some random program you're using is morally wrong somehow

>> No.4432791

>people thinking clients are DRM
Protip Steam isn't "DRM" either.

>> No.4432834

>>4429698
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2 got their digital debut today.

>> No.4432863

>>4432791
>Steam isn't DRM
If the game needs Steam to work then it is DRM, games that launch without Steam running are therefore DRM free.
Don't try to weasel your way out of this with "but developers decide to use the Steam DRM!!" like the dumbass over /v/ do.
There's a reason why SmartSteamEmu or GreenLuma Reborn exist.

>> No.4432897

>>4432863
That's because steamworks is DRM, not the steam client

>> No.4432931

>>4432737
The problem is you limit DRM to some classic limited shit. When in message boards its a term for any kind of spying.

Me as a real old fucking retro gamer is used to install my software on any of my computers I want when I want, no matter when I am talking like in 20 years and where. You sound like you are confusing the gog galaxy client with the gog downloader. The difference is that I can copy the installers onto an external harddrive and later when I get a new computer that runs the games better and I am somewhere in a cave in the outbacks I can install it with my hamsterwheel and no fucking internet connection! The gog galaxy client requires a internet connection to install the game. This is even if this concept seems far for you a type of drm. Because they see you installed it already. So you cant install it again or you have to tell them your old pc broke and you need to reinstall it on your new pc. With gog downloader I dont have shit like that in the back of my mind. Like it is with shit you own. If you bought a tv in a cardbox you can sleep in that cardbox when you want. You dont have to worry for the recycling truck to steal your cardbox for now, because there is still no drm on cardboxes (just a matter of time). Butt people like you wont notice there is drm on cardboxes one day, because you dont have a back of your mind. So nothing will nag you.

>> No.4432965

>>4432897
try to open a non steamworks game on steam (one you have downloaded with Steam)

>> No.4432982

>>4432931
You can still download the installers with galaxy.

>> No.4432991

>>4432834
And they're both half assed releases.

>> No.4433018

>>4432965
I do it all the time. Works with mass effect 1, I know for sure

>> No.4433168

>>4432863
>"but developers decide to use the Steam DRM!!"
But this is exactly how it happens. If a game uses the steamworks DRM then it needs Steam to launch, but if it doesn't then you can open the game without Steam. Therefore Steam isn't DRM in itself.

>> No.4433179

>>4432991
?
JJ2 comes with version with JJ2+ installed, lierally no excuses

>> No.4433185

>>4433168
> If a game uses the steamworks DRM then it needs Steam to launch, but if it doesn't then you can open the game without Steam. Therefore Steam isn't DRM in itself.

It means that games that don't need Steam are DRM free, you can move them to other PC and they will launch WITHOUT STEAM, why do you come to the conclusion that because one doesn't need it therefore it's not DRM baffles me.

>> No.4433196

>>4433185
>because one doesn't need it therefore it's not DRM
Because, if one doesn't need it to run the game, then it's not DRM, how much clearer can it possibly get?

>> No.4433198

>>4433196
Nice now try running one game that needs Steam WITHOUT installing Steam, go ahead.

>> No.4433205

>>4433198
Steamworks DRM != Steam itself. It's a feature that is optional for the developers to use.

>> No.4433226

>>4433205
Look pal, if you can't copy and paste the game on another computer and run it, it's not DRM free.
No matter how hard you try to spin it also > If a game uses the steamworks DRM then it needs Steam to launch, but if it doesn't then you can open the game without Steam. Therefore Steam isn't DRM in itself.
WRONG.
Steam and Steamworks are both codependent, you can't have one without the other.
There's a reason why GOG has to patch SteamWork games like Fallout New Vegs with their galaxy.dll files which are pretty much Steam cracks and why SmartSteamEmu emulates Steam to bypass Steamworks.

I'd love for you to go to the cs.rin.ru forum and tell people there the same people that crack Steam that Steam itself isn't DRM.
You have this wrong idea that because some games don't require Steam, Steam itself isn't DRM as some general catch to categorize something.
"this game works without steam thus steam cant be drm!"

>> No.4433239

>>4433226
>if you can't copy and paste the game on another computer and run it, it's not DRM free
Um yes which means that some games on Steam DO have DRM, I never said otherwise. All I'm saying is that Steam isn't DRM, it has DRM as an OPTION that is enabled in some games.

>Steam and Steamworks are both codependent
Again, Steamworks *DRM* isn't an intrinsic part of Steam games. It's something used in SOME of the games.

>You have this wrong idea that because some games don't require Steam, Steam itself isn't DRM as some general catch to categorize something.
It's not wrong, in fact it's very much correct. If you can acquire Steam games that don't need Steam to run then Steam isn't DRM in any meaning of the term. The only difference between Steam and GOG in this regard is that Steam doesn't care one way or another if devs use DRM and offers its own DRM feature as an option but still has plenty of DRM free games.

Just think about what you're saying, you're contradicting yourself when you agree that there are DRM-free Steam games and yet paradoxically insist that Steam itself is DRM.

>> No.4433241

>>4433239
> If you can acquire Steam games that don't need Steam to run then Steam isn't DRM in any meaning of the term.

IT MEANS THE DEVELOPER HAS DECIDED TO NOT USE STEAM AS A DRM, How's such a simple concept so hard to grasp for you.

>> No.4433247

>>4429947
>capitalism
>private property
>good

>> No.4433252

>>4433241
Which therefore means that Steam is a distribution platform and launcher, not DRM.

>you can acquire the game with Steam
>afterward you can run it in any way you want even without Steam
>insist that somehow this is DRM
>hang yourself before 30

>> No.4433276

>>4433252
you would be mostly right if it wasn't it because there are two different kind of crack one for the normal steam api and another completely different for the steamworks integration.
if steam wasn't drm there wouldn't be need to crack all with generic steam crack) almost all the games that are release on it.

>> No.4433281

>>4433198
>If you aquire something digitally by any legal means at all then it's DRM

>> No.4433289

>>4433276
But there isn't a need to "crack" anything if a game isn't using Steam's DRM service, who cares about the intricate kinks of how the DRM itself works when it's used. All that matters is that there are plenty of games which are on Steam and have zero copy protection or dependancy on online checks of any kind.

>> No.4433295

>>4433289
guess some forgot to tell the scene guys that steam isnt drm and they sohuld quit using crack as theres no need fo it, surely anon knows more than the autistic scene that even crack shitty indie games and even fucking updates for such shit games.

>> No.4433315

>>4433295
I'd like to know how they "crack" games that don't have anything to crack in the first place. Again you're falling back on the idea that because SOME games in Steam use the DRM service it means that Steam is in itself a form of DRM which is patently false as there are many games which are both on Steam AND are DRM free thus clearly contradicting what you are saying.

>> No.4433316

>>4433315
Sure anon youre totally right and the scene is all wrong.

>> No.4433318
File: 70 KB, 645x729, 1496925989771.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4433315
>games in Steam use the DRM service it means that Steam is in itself a form of DRM
Nice, all my games that require Steam will work without it now that I know the truth.

>> No.4433319

>>4433316
So do you consider copying a game, maybe zipping it and uploading it without bypassing anything to be "cracking"? Because that's literally all you have to do with the Steam games that have no DRM.

>>4433318
How hard is it to understand that DRM is an OPTIONAL PART of Steam, NOT a core feature of the platform itself?

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

>> No.4433324

>>4433319
>no DRM.
KEYWORD
>>4433241

>> No.4433328

>>4433319
>NOT a core feature of the platform itself?
lmao now this is shilling

>> No.4433330

>>4433324
How about you read the same post you quoted
>THE DEVELOPER HAS DECIDED TO NOT USE STEAM AS A DRM
Which means that Steam isn't DRM by the very logic of this sentence.

>> No.4433332

>>4433330
>Steam isn't DRM
>>4433318
LITERALLY BRAINLET

>> No.4433335

>>4433332
>install game through platform
>platform does nothing about copy protection or online checking
>argue that this is DRM

>> No.4433336

>>4433330
>>4433335
Anon just because someone decides to drive a 200hp 160mp/h top speed machine at 20mp/h doesn't means it stop beings a hotrod.

>> No.4433337

>>4433335
>distribution service cant be drm except when it is

>> No.4433338

>>4433332
>>4433337
The DRM on Steam is completely optional for the developer.

>> No.4433339

>>4433337
>it's DRM even when it isn't DRM
Also again, reminder that Steamworks DRM is just a part of Steam that is only enabled if the dev wants to use it. I'm still waiting for you to argue how it can be DRM even when you have dozens of games which are defined as "DRM-free".

>> No.4433341

>can't even start steam with an offline laptop
>it's not drm guys

>> No.4433342

>>4429959
There are no triple a games, anon, just like how there are no millennials and how there is no avocado toast. It's purely terms used EXCLUSIVELY by paid reviewers and shitty journalists.

>> No.4433343
File: 69 KB, 645x729, e09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4433338
>>4433339
>drm is only drm when its drm

>> No.4433347

>>4433343
>*rattles tits* *rattles tits* *rattles tits* *rattles tits* *rattles tits* *rattles tits*

>> No.4433348

>>4433343
>game does not have any trace of DRM
>but it's DRM
This is literally you.

>> No.4433351

>>4433337
BRAINLET

>> No.4433362

>>4433339
>>4433348
>Developer decides to opt out of drm
>it's not drm see!
You're not tricking nobody also you argument fall flat just for the simple fact that the majority of games on steam require steam.

>> No.4433370

>>4433362
If you can opt to not use it then yeah it's not DRM. Again, DRM is an optional feature. Pray tell, how is Steam being DRM if it's doing literally NOTHING DRM-related in a Steam game?

>the majority of games on steam require steam
Irrelevant and it's not even that much of a vast majority, there are tons of DRM-free games and regardless if there was a single one it would already be sufficient.

>> No.4433378

>>4433370
>Irrelevant
Maybe in your wicked little had that believes Steam isn't DRM.

>> No.4433381
File: 88 KB, 768x752, brainlet.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4433370
>if there was a single one it would already be sufficient.
>>4433318

>> No.4433385

>>4433378
How am I the one with warped thought when you're the one rowing against the sea tide pointlessly arguing that a platform which distributes DRM-free games and does literally nothing whatsoever, not a single shred of copy protection or online verification after the installation of said games is some how DRM?

You have not yet answered this paradox, how can Steam be DRM if there are dozens of games in it which have no DRM?

>> No.4433386

>>4433370
>the number of games that are drm stema dependant isnt relevant but the number of games that are drm even solely 1 is totally relevant enough to make steam not drm

>> No.4433390

>>4433385
see you literal brainlet
>>4433362
not to mention the whole entity of the pirate scene disagreeing with you.

>> No.4433394

>>4433386
>>4433381
The number IS irrelevant. Having a single DRM-free game would work on account of the fact that it is DRM-free. You are literally arguing that a DRM-free game has DRM which is simply wrong.
>>4433390
If a developer opts out of DRM while still using Steam then it's not DRM you fucking mongoloid, how hard is it for you to understand? YOU CAN'T HAVE DRM IN A DRM-FREE GAME BY ITS VERY FUCKING DEFINITION

>muh pirate scene
I already refuted this, tell me how you "crack" a game that has no DRM, go ahead. Oh wait you won't actually do so, you'll again conveniently disregard this and 5 posts from now mention it again like the dishonest little shit you are.

>> No.4433395

Jesus christ, everyone in this thread is brain dead.

>> No.4433396

>>4433394
>If a developer opts out of DRM while still using Steam
>opts out

LMAO LITERALLY BRAINLET

>> No.4433402

>>4433396
>opts out of DRM while still using Steam
>opts out of DRM
>while still using Steam
>therefore using Steam with no DRM

>> No.4433404

>>4433402
>one game doesnt used drm therefore all games on steam arent drm bound
BRAINLET
>>4433318

>> No.4433413

>>4433404
Can you tell me exactly where I said that all games on Steam aren't DRM bound? All I said is that DRM is an optional feature, which is objectively proven by the fact that there are games, on Steam, at this very moment, which have no DRM. Do you know the difference between "optional part" and "integral part"?

The fact that there are games on Steam with no DRM proves that Steam isn't DRM, there's no way out, just accept it dude.

>> No.4433420

>>4433413
>DRM is an optional feature,
>drm
youre starting to contradict yourself, brainlet.

>> No.4433425

>>4433420
There are still games which are both on Steam and have no DRM you know. This is a fact. You cannot dispute it.

>> No.4433428

>>4433425
>>4433318

>> No.4433432

>>4433428
You are actually retarded and will argue to no end that something can simultaneously be DRM-free while having DRM.

>> No.4433434

>>4433386
t. took an elementary logic class and came to 4chan to be annoying

>> No.4433435

>>4433432
>simultaneously be DRM-free while having DRM.

>> No.4434764

>>4430619
There is nothing wrong wit that. But expecting it to go that way is a wishful thinking at best.
VG are buisness now, and buisness is all about maximisation of profit. Microtransactions and non-content are more profitable because they are much cheaper to do than quality content.

>> No.4434849

>>4429641
Why didn't you just reinstall your games in one folder?

>> No.4434924

valve defense force is strong here

>> No.4434931

>>4434764
the consumer is quickly becoming inoculated to that strategy (i.e. bored), and it doesn't help that every day people have more and more shit that they can impulse buy online in the exact same way and it gets cheaper and more convenient for them to do so at the same time

tomorrow won't be the same as today and you have to keep chasing the dragon if you want to get those neet autismbucks

>> No.4434932

>>4434924
valve is a bunch of chucklefucks who do nothing but ride on the one wave of success they had

>> No.4434951
File: 51 KB, 480x410, accept skeleton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4434931
I think the OG gaming demographic is going to almost entirely stop buying AAA games and switch almost entirely to indie/kickstarter titles. Like, okay, I bought Skyrim and Fallout 4, despite knowing I would hate the Bethesda shit about them. And I bought ME3 to end the series. But besides that I completely avoid AAA shit. And AAA is the video game market as far as the industry is concerned. No one gives a shit about a little independent guy until he turns into minecraft of pubg. Even modest successes like Undertale and Metro 2033 and Stalker don't make any waves in the industry.

'Video gamers' are and have been for generations AAA COD Sportsball players almost exclusively. Maybe they get real adventurous and put some time into GTA.

This is exactly why we're /vr

>> No.4434962

>>4434951
I still say the problem is people using the term AAA as though it means something other than "We spent fucktons of money to get Tom Hanks to say five words". It stands for Adverts, Adverts, Adverts, and anyone, and I mean anyone who doesn't hold them to the most unacceptable and unreasonable standards of quality is doing it wrong.

>> No.4434970

>>4434962
I think it pretty well encompasses most of the large publically traded companies. They have to perform to industry standards. They have to employ big marketing boys. They have to cater to demographics. They have to have focus groups. They have to meet seasonal deadlines even if the franchise is creatively dead.

>> No.4434996

bump

>> No.4435110

>>4429641
GOG Galaxy isn't DRM desu, it's most of a download manager, GOG has promised they will continue to support DRM free games, they have to, it's literally the only thing they have going for them, Steam is a superior service in basically every other respect.

The multiplayer server things is a bit of an inevitability, the games that use it wouldn't have online multiplayer at all otherwise.

>>4430201
Easier said than done nigger, and Diablo 3 is a huge game, not every single shitty game with DRM is going to get the same treatment.

>> No.4435120

>>4430619
>2 hours of gameplay a month is enough
>monthly fees to play games likely tied to online servers

Yeah nah.

>> No.4435123

>>4430649
People in rich countries install Steam because it's convinient, and a lot of people actually really hate having boxes of games on their houses, it is also popular and many games require Steam anyway even if you buy them off the shelf.

People in poor countries install Steam because it's far cheaper than buying boxed games (which would require Steam anyhow).

>> No.4435150

>>4429907
>official copies
kek

>> No.4435212

>>4435110
>GOG has promised they will continue to support DRM free games
They'd better, it's the only promise they haven't yet gone back on and it feels like it's on pretty shaky ground right now.

>> No.4435510

>>4435110
Steam is not a better service than GoG.

>>4435212
People would just hack the old games so that they don't use their DRM. It's actually very hard from a developer standpoint to tie an old DOS game to DRM.

>> No.4436153

>>4434924
You'd think after the HL3 and Artifact fiasco they'd chill out.

>> No.4436323

>>4435510
>Steam is not a better service than GoG.

But it is
>Client is sleeker
>Offers in-game browser, text and voice chat
>Has a lot of media sharing capabilities and gives you the ability to stream and capture game footage using their in game client.
>Give you the ability to use any controller on any game without needing an external tool
>Allow you to use your entire computer with controller if you leave the client running.
>Faster downloading games
>offers achivements, stats tracking, and those cards you can sell for real money in basically every game
>Regionalized prices that make third worlders be more inclined to purchase from them.

Hell, I know a lot of people that have no credit cards so they couldn't buy off GOG even if they wanted to.

GOG is just now slowly starting to catch up with them, the people that buy in GOG do it either because they like how convinient it is to have old DOS games pre-packaged and configured or because they want DRM free games, their service is very basic and very much just a store front for now.

>> No.4436427

>>4436323
>>Faster downloading games
Only good point in your whole post, kill yourself steamdrone

>> No.4436432
File: 37 KB, 544x486, 1481612575518.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4436427
If I was a Steam drone I wouldn't use GOG at all, I'm just pointing out factual benefits Steam offers, don't be an autist anon.

>> No.4436448

>>4435110
>GOG Galaxy isn't DRM desu, it's most of a download manager,

Desu. The only game that needs Galaxy is the lameass Witcher TCG, which is online only anyway. OP is a retarded steam kiddie.

>> No.4436481

>>4436448
Still a bad move on their part IMO, there are ways for that game to work DRM free, but it's always worth remembering CD Projekt is technically not the same company as GOG.

>> No.4436915

>>4436448
There’s several games that depend on Galaxy for multiplayer, like Alien Vs Predator 2000.

>> No.4437543

>>4436915
Do you really need to have Galaxy installed? The game does have a non-galaxy installer.

If not, then I have a hard time calling it "GOG DRM", it's just GOG giving functionality back to a game that had DRM to begin with.

>> No.4437565

>>4436323
>>Regionalized prices that make third worlders be more inclined to purchase from them.
While jacking up the price for everyone else. Pajeet McStreetshit should be paying the same price as John Q Public. Same with the chinks.

>> No.4437580

>>4429641
Client does not mean DRM.

How is this thread still alive.

>> No.4437593

if GoG galaxy is a DRM then GoG.com website is also a DRM I guess since you have to log in there to download your games

>> No.4437651

>>4437565
What do you mean jacking up the prices for everyone else? The prices are standard in the EU and the US. Companies lower their prices on third world regions because they know third worlders aren't going to buy games otherwise because they make 1/3 of the money an American makes.

>> No.4437671

>>4437580
Of course, but the concern is that if the GOG Galaxy client becomes popular enough, then there's a risk GOG will lose sight of what they stand for and implement DRM.

>> No.4437743

>>4436915
>Alien Vs Predator 2000.
AFAIK, you can still make IP games with that.

>> No.4437753

>>4430027
muh Laissez-faire

>> No.4437754

>>4429887
In some cases it's the only way for older games to have functional multiplayer in 2017.

>> No.4437790

>>4437743
You can? Not doubting you, since I have no way to confirm, but everything I've read says that it depends on Galaxy.

>>4437754
Surely they could have released the software for making a dedicated server, that way you could either use the services Galaxy provides, or roll your own server.

>> No.4439572

>>4430196
not just deleting the software folder and then recopying it without needing to reintall

>> No.4439853

>>4437565
Prices aren't "jacked up", you are simply making the mistake of assuming that exchange rate reflects the real value of a currency. If currency X suddenly loses 20% of its value against currency Y, it does not mean that people living in country X are now 20% poorer than those in country Y because exchange rates are not a real indicator of purchasing power.

>> No.4440892

>install GOG game
>still have to accept their EULA and have ads play during installation
>not drm

>> No.4441587

>>4440892
What ads are playing during the installation?

>> No.4441604

>>4440892
EULA != DRM.

>> No.4441605

>>4441587
Ads for other gog games.

I cant believe he's complaining about that.

I'm actually thankful for the ads. Reminded me of the Caesar series I never played when I was younger and I bought the best one (Caesar 2 i think)

>> No.4442157

>>4441605
>thought shaming

>>4441604
Cute

>> No.4442305

>>4433252
>you can use a sports car for some purpose other than racing
>therefore sports cars aren't sports cars

>> No.4442342

>>4440892
>Go to gog.com
>Site uses non-free javascript
>''''''''''not drm''''''''''

>> No.4442392

>>4442342
You don't need to use their site to install their games. But you need to use their installer to install their ads

>> No.4442564

>>4432931
>cant install it again or you have to tell them your old pc broke and you need to reinstall it on your new pc
What are you talking about? You can install galaxy on whatever computer and install whatever you want. You can also just download the installer by itsself from galaxy and copy it to whichever computer and install the game whether the computer has galaxy on it or not.

>> No.4442937
File: 1.74 MB, 624x460, 1506782327046.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4432982
I never used the galaxy thing. Whats the difference then between the GOG download and the gog galaxy client??

>> No.4442946

>>4442937
>GOG downloader

>> No.4442953

>implying Galaxy is bad
You can play the games outside of the launcher. I only use it for updating.

>> No.4443029

>>4442937
GOG Downloader just downloads the games you tell it to. GOG Galaxy puts them on a virtual shelf and allows you to auto update them, enable achievements on them, track game time, and things like that. I use Galaxy just because of the auto update thing, and have everything else disabled because I don't care for achievements and stuff. It's light, and pretty useful just for that.

>> No.4443681

>>4441605
A lot of installation executables back in the day featured promotions for other games especially if those other games were by the same developers. Now it's just other games that are sold on GoG. That anon sounds like he is either A) retarded or B) severely autistic.

>>4442157
You seem upset, faggot.

>> No.4443683

>>4442392
How do you "install their ads" when those ads are usually just within the installation executable?

>> No.4443685

>>4443029
> GOG Galaxy puts them on a virtual shelf
Isn't that how GoG usually organizes your games anyway?

I do like how you can download the install .exe from the more options menu for the games though.

>> No.4444223

>>4443681
cute

>>4443683
You're right. Poor choice of words there. You need to install to see their ads.

>> No.4444238

>>4437543
This is true. There are some games which GOG sells that were so deep into DRM originally that sometimes there's no other way around it.

Hell, later Bethesda titles have Galaxy ingrained into them because of just how deep the DRM checks went in them. It doesn't check up on anything, just makes it work.

>> No.4444278

>>4429641
There's nothing wrong with liking the client.

Although the option of obtaining games that don't require it is a valuable thing and one of the reason why I pick GOG over Steam when the choice is available.

Tak trzymać, zuchy.

>> No.4444470

>>4429641
Yes, gog's client in one step from fat gaben's dick, origin and others - closed-source service on your pc, which reque internet access.

>> No.4444684

>>4444470
How the fuck would a closed-source GoG Galaxy force games to require an Internet connection?

Origin cannot even force The Sims 2 to behave that way since you don't even need the client to play that game. You only need it to install it.

>> No.4444690

>>4444223
>You're right. Poor choice of words there. You need to install to see their ads.

What ads are you referring to, you retard? There's only advertisements on their executable and that's it. Not even GoG Galaxy has those plastered everywhere.

>> No.4444724

>>4444690
>there's ads
Say no more!

>> No.4444750

>>4443029
what happens when a game gets removed from the store? And not so practical for me as I store my games on an external. My laptop dive is tiny.

>> No.4444887

>>4444750
You can still download the games.
If you bought the game, it remains available to you even after it get pulled from the store.

Like, I bought Fallout from GOG before Bethesda got the rights, and the version I can download from my account is still the original FO1/2, not the newer Bethesda version.

>> No.4444902

>>4444750
Even if a game is pulled, they are by law (and reputation) required to provide access to what you've paid for. The only exemption from this is if the game was put up illegally in the first place

>> No.4444954

>>4444750
You can still download them. Once in awhile they'll actually give out a game for free during the final day they still have the rights to sell it because everyone who "bought" the copy would still be able to download it so long as GOG itself is alive.

>> No.4445325

>>4436323
>Client is sleeker
how about gog i dont even NEED a fucking client
>Offers in-game browser, text and voice chat
its an IE widget, the chat is ok, but makes no sense using closed garden IM
>streaming
>achivements
you should have just said youre a degenerate
>Give you the ability to use any controller on any game
bulshit, thats dependant on games having been integrated
>Allow you to use your entire computer with controller
thats neat, i can also do that with winlirc or autohotkey, dunno why this is a feature in a gaymen client

>Regionalized prices that make third worlders be more inclined to purchase from them.
valve isnt subsidising this, still the only real thing steam has over gog

>> No.4445465

for the faggots in denial about steam how is steam itself not DRM you literally have to use their client to download your own games, gog you can just go on their website and download your games you dont need to use galaxy.

>> No.4445539

>>4445465
Downloading through a client has nothing to do with copy protection and online checking which is what DRM actually is, not some arbitrary definition made up in your mind. Whoa why do I have to log into my GOG account to prove that I own the game? DRM!!!

>> No.4445895

>>4445539
Steam is literally digital rights management client you stupid fucking faggot. Sure you can copy it freely but legally you're only granted a license to play that game you don't own it. That's how steam works. And the steam client is fucking garbage it's way more bloated than it needs to be and is a resource hog on low powered machines.

>> No.4445902

>>4445895
>Sure you can copy it freely
That means it's literally not digital rights management you stupid fucking faggot.

>legally you're only granted a license to play that game you don't own it.
No shit, that's the way copyright works. Equally applies to games you bought on GoG or anywhere else.

>> No.4445912

>>4445902
Yes it is cause you're not legally allowed to do that. You only have a lisence to play the game with their service.

No dumbass traditional copywrite the end user has the right to make backups and with steam you don't. You only have the right to play the game with their service. Of course they won't go after you for copying your games to multiple PC's but they made it that way to go after cyber cafes who would buy one copy and share it on all their pcs

>> No.4445918

>>4445912
>with steam you don't.
Not true, regardless of what they try to say in their EULA. It's the same situation with Nintendo trying to claim you're not entitled to backups. It's not DRM, they're just wrong.

>> No.4446047

>>4429641
>OP : I love steam so much . Pls listen to muh shill! Slavs are so evil!

Yeah, fuck off.

>> No.4446308

>>4445912
>>4445895
>You only have a lisence to play the game with their service
This is wrong, because there are plenty of DRM-free games on Steam that don't have any requirement whatsoever legal or otherwise to use the application, end of fucking discussion.

>> No.4446773

why do people fall for the gog meme? guilt-trip to make people pay for old ass (often cracked) games, so that the right-holders (fyi, very likely not the devs) get some monies

>> No.4446824

>>4446773
Fuck off, you little bitch. I'm tired of faggots like you parroting this meme like it's even remotely true. In fact, GOG DOES attempt to seek out rights holders and make sure they get paid. Case in point: Toys for Bob, creators of Star Control, found out that a company that did not own the actual IP for Star Control, were selling them via GOG. TfB let GOG know, and GOG did the right thing by them, and continued to do so up until this latest flair up between TfB and Stardock, as TfB claims that Stardock does not and cannot use nor sell anything with the canon characters in Star Control 1&2. Then GOG took the games down until the legal dispute can be resolved. You're just a whining little dickbag who wants shit for free. You're not in it to actually preserve and encourage the gaming industry to make their old IPs widely available for people who may not have gotten to experience a lot of gems from the PC's past.

I use Steam. I use Galaxy. I use Origin. I use Blizznet. I don't give a fuck about platforms typically, just what's available on them, but I ain't gonna let some little faggot shit talk and spread misinformation. Eat a dick and die.

>> No.4446852

he said right-holders (not devs) cry more

>> No.4446950

>>4446308
what the hell are you talking about? that has nothing to do with steam only granting you a license. Even if they put up freeware its still only freeware that you may use on their service you own a liscence to play the game on their service. Its not the same as a game cartridge since that other guy brought up nintendo. It doesn't matter if that software is free online, with steam you don't own anything. The nintendo cartridge you buy and hold in your hands what you buy from steam is the right to use their servers. This isnt the software EULA its the steam EULA. Digital rights management isn't only software, a cd key is DRM you stupid fucking faggot. The unkillable monster that attacks you in Serious Sam 3 when you run a cracked copy is DRM you fucking faggot, its literally management of your rights to digital content. It's not always your denuvo bullshit fucking /v/tard

>> No.4447158

>>4446852
Then look at Descent.
They pulled it from their stores for a long time because the found out the devs weren't getting a single penny.

>> No.4447224

>>4446950
>its literally management of your rights to digital content
Yes and license agreement is not DRM because it does none of that you mongoloid, when you install a game from a CD it still has a licence agreement. Also I like how you're so dumb that you equate "copy protection and online verification" with denuvo when CD-keys and game content alterations fall perfectly within the realm of copy protection. This is literally what DRM does, it stops people from copying the game freely and/or verifies if the version is legitimate. Steam games that do none of that are DRM-free games whether you like it or not, I'm free to copy Divine Divinity or Unreal or Stronghold into a million computers if I want and run them without Steam. All that is necessary first is to acquire the game, but but the acquisition itself is not something that falls under the definition of DRM no matter how much you stomp your feet on the ground, unless you consider having to log into your GOG account to get the installer by proving you paid for the games and own them as "DRM".

>You only have a lisence to play the game with their service
No, you don't. You have a license to acquire the game with their service but there is nothing that stops you from playing it without Steam.

>> No.4447307

>>4447224
You don't own your games on steam go look it up. You're merely renting a license to play that game from valve. DRM is digital rights management copy protection is literally drm you fucking idiot. It manages your rights to your digital software in an attempt to stop you from copying it. Anything that manages your rights to digital media is DRM, music and movies from the apple store have DRM.

You're under the presumption that you own the games in your steam library which is untrue, you have no rights with steam. Its literally a long term rental service but you cant take gabes dick out of your mouth for 2 seconds to go bother to look it up, like thats the most common complaint about steam is the fact you don't own your games, and its nothing like buying a nintendo game and making backups because that was your physical property, your rental agreement with valve means you dont own shit. Yeah you can copy it freely not all rights management has to be physical or in the software, it can be through legal means as well. Anything effecting your end user rights in regards to digital content, you can copy the game freely to computers without steam but that still doesn't give you ownership of the game its still being "rented" from valve. You're not allowed to copy rental VHS tapes yet people did it anyway and nobody really got arrested for it, this is the same case with steam. You're just copying a rental it doesnt matter if you dont need to connect to their server hell even if you could download it directly without the client THE SERVICE ITSELF IS DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT, their management system involves taking away ownership and granting a rental license.

>> No.4447485

>>4447307
Um yes you do own your Steam games, what you said is pure mental gymnastics that can be applied to any digital distribution service.

>not all rights management has to be physical or in the software, it can be through legal means as well
You know you're not legally "allowed" to copy and distribute a DRM-free game or do things like installing the same copy on several machines and set up lan play right? This is not what DRM means, DRM implies some sort of restriction embedded within the media itself, you can go look up the definition anywhere outside of your head and that's what you'll read, face it mongoloid if it's not directly tampering with the game files directly then it's not fucking DRM.

>> No.4447493

>>4447307
>u dnt own ur cumputer
>u only wicense it

>> No.4447523

>>4447485
okay shithead if you own your steam games sell your copy to someone else you fucking tool. take your rights you supposedly have full control over and transfer full control over to someone else.

DRM doesnt imply anything you fucking retard it LITERALLY MEANS DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT, anything in regards to managing your digital rights is DRM, COPY PROTECTION = DRM, DENUVO = DRM, ALWAYS ONLINE = DRM, GIVING YOU A RENTAL INSTEAD OF OWNERSHIP = DR FUCKING M. DRM does not only apply to 3rd party software that prevents you from tampering it includes all avenues of DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT, there is no fucking "its only software" implied. The term DRM got retroactively applied to copy protection because we did not have a term for it before digital media became as accessible as it was with the internet.

The fact you cant take a game you own on steam and sell it second hand is rights management you fucking retard. You are honestly the stupidest fucking cunt on this board if you think you have full ownership of your steam library.

>> No.4447530
File: 23 KB, 781x339, bangmyfuckingheadagainstthewalluntilimasretardedasyouare.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4447493
>>4447485
You've pissed me off so much that I had to go look it up again in case I was miss-remembering or wrong or something but you really are retarded dude.

>Shitaku
yes I know but every other source further down the results says the exact same thing

>> No.4447542

>>4447307
>u don't own ur games
>u only licensed to play it
Have you ever read the legal information in a NES manual? Or a music CD? Being "licensed" to play something is literally older than the internet.

>> No.4447553

>>4447542
you own a NES cartidge and have a license to run the software or sell that cartridge if you, YOU DONT OWN SHIT ON STEAM

>> No.4447558

>>4447553
if you choose*

>> No.4447573

>>4447553
>>4447542
Gog is drm too cause its for rights management its just none of their games have additional DRM software which this one faggot thinks is the only thing in the world the term DRM applies too so it is kind of misleading but I see them using it more of a colloquial cause people know what they mean, until literal retards like this think drm is only software modification.

>> No.4447592 [DELETED] 

>>4444470
>internet access
You've never used it, I see.

>> No.4447604

>>4447573
I only care about the software kind in this case, so to each their own.

I'm just glad to run GalCiv2 alone without shit to deal with first.

>> No.4447620

>>4447604
well yeah I was just arguing the point that the steam service itself is DRM, you can get games on there that dont have additional 3rd party DRM programs but you still dont have full ownership of the games because you cant resell them.

>> No.4447637

>>4447620
And you don't get the installer.
With GOG you can retain the installers, but on Steam you can't, Since steam itself is the installer