[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 536 KB, 994x1032, princesscrown_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4400487 No.4400487 [Reply] [Original]

Fans of Vanillaware: What do you think of Princess Crown? Do you think it's better than Odin Sphere? Is it worth a playthrough?

It's the only game by "them" (before they were an independent company) that I haven't played. Is it easy to muddle through in English if I emulate the 32bit home release, or would I better off emulating/playing the PSP port (despite loss of resolution, etc.). I've heard some bad things about the PSP port but I don't know if there were QoL improvements made on the game.

[Reposting from /v/ due to a lack of responses.]

>> No.4400540

Vanillaware games didn't git gud until Muramasa. The gameplay in both Odin Sphere and Princess Crown is like, really bad, even if the graphics are great.

>> No.4400602

It's probably a worse version of PS2 Odin Sphere, which was kinda shit even though it looked nice.

If anyone ever bothers to do a translation patch, I'll give it a go, it's just that no one really seems to give a shit, I mean the whole game has been translated already, there's an entire site where you can read the script, just no one's bothered to implement it in-game.

>> No.4400610

I've been playing the Saturn version with this guide. I don't understand any moon and haven't had a problem. I'm having fun with it.
http://web.archive.org/web/20080304150339/http://www.andriasang.com:80/princesscrown/pcrown/translation2.html

>> No.4400779

>>4400602
Putting the script usually isn't as simple as switching out the text; to make it look nice you need to know quite a few things about coding. Princess Crown might be slightly too niche next to other projects (like the Ys PC games before they were picked up by XSeed - most of whom started as fan-translators). There's also the difficulty (I assume) of hacking a Saturn game, whose coding must be a bitch.

Comparitively speaking, it's probably a piece of cake to focus on PS1, SNES, or Genesis games.

>> No.4400804

>>4400540
>The gameplay in both Odin Sphere and Princess Crown is like, really bad, even if the graphics are great.

This.

Princess Crown looks beyond amazing (I doubt a game has matched its 2D graphics since), but the actual gameplay just isn't very good. A huge problem is that you have very little control over the progression of your character; levelling up will increase health and also increase your attack by a small amount, but you don't equip any other weapons and you never gain any new moves, which for a game which treats itself like a fighting game in battles turns it into a chore after just a few hours of gameplay. Sure, there are three other scenarios, and they're pretty awesome extras, but I can't help but think that if they can just stuck to working on the main scenario that they could have considerably improved the fighting mechanics.

Muramasa is good, but so repetitive that to this day I still can't bring myself to go back and play through that second scenario. The first one just burnt me out.

As for Vanillaware, quite frankly I say just ignore the rest and pick up Dragon's Crown. It's the only one really worth playing for the gameplay.

>> No.4400902

Princess Crown is clunky at first, but once you get the hang of it it starts to feel really elegant, if repetitive (especially if you have to backtrack). The combat reminds me of Souls, but 2D, with its timing and fatigue mechanics.

Otherwise it has great aesthetics, great animations, and is a really unique little game.

>> No.4401082

>>4400487
>PSP port (despite loss of resolution, etc.)
No loss of resolution; it's just the Saturn graphics 1:1 windowboxed inside the PSP screen

>> No.4401285

>>4400487

Vanillaware is the last bastion against the hordes of polygon gayness. Fellow anons, go forth and support them with all your dosh!!

But seriously, while i did enjoy my time with the above princess i gotta say the later Kamitani games were much more refined and enjoyable.

>> No.4401463

>>4400804
Dragon's Crown is so bad. Because what the beat em up genre needed was grinding.

>> No.4402305
File: 61 KB, 640x470, 1510778315572.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4401285
>polygon gayness
Ha, you know, I'm not sure if you were talking about 3D polygons, or the gaming site Polygon. I guess it works either way!

>> No.4402620

>>4400804
The Odin Sphere port has good gameplay...it's still a slog getting through all the stories, though.

>>4401463
Well, you can just play through each area once and then not play it and it'd be like an old-school one...the leveling system and loot actually keeps you playing it for more than a few days.

>> No.4402657

>>4402620
>The Odin Sphere port has good gameplay...it's still a slog getting through all the stories, though.
You talking about the remake, Leifthrasir?

>> No.4405251
File: 90 KB, 320x224, 2457405-3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

one last bump to hear any more thoughts. Thanks to all who've posted so far!

>> No.4405356

I really want to play this someday. Specially since the princess has the best hairstyle. Does she ever let it down?

>> No.4405504

the combat is actually unique and fairly nuanced for an action RPG, but it's slowness will probably turn most people off.
also the encounter design sucks ass and most of the enemies are just recolors.

>> No.4407237

princess crown was good. Exploring a kingdom, walking around, pettin sheep and that tactical-like combat. Odin sphere was utter garbage. The only decent game vanillaware was capable of post princess crown was dragons crown. Even muramasa was shite

>> No.4408903

What's the matter with the PSP port? I was planning on getting that version eventually cause I don't have a Saturn and portability is a plus.

Speaking of PSP ports of Saturn games, how's Devil Summoner's port?

>> No.4409384
File: 73 KB, 480x272, 8tnu01000000xbq8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4408903
Nothing really wrong with the PSP port.
Some might call it lazy because it's the Saturn's 320x240 graphics windowboxed inside the PSP's 480x272 screen without expanding the viewing area. Others might call that authentic.

>> No.4409391

>>4409384
At least you're emulating on PPSSPP you can stretch the screen.