[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 136 KB, 600x600, wipeout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4396382 No.4396382 [Reply] [Original]

Is every Wipeout this hard? Just when I think I'm learning, I ram into walls/other racers.

>> No.4396389

>>4396382
NeGcon

>> No.4396430

Pretty much, yeah. Wipeout is a racing series of split second reflexes. Not forgiving either.

>> No.4396528

>>4396382
2097 lets you graze walls without coming to a dead stop. Improvements to the feel of the control also make it a bit easier to get into. Wipeout 1 also has the series' hardest (as well as one of the best) courses, Silverstream.

>> No.4396529

Nah, wipeout XL/2097 fixes all the issues the original had and while it is still super challenging, it's not as frustrating. Wipeout 3 is also really good and one of the best looking PS1 games there is.

The other "non-retro" wipeouts are a mixed bag - Fusion is fucking awful.

>> No.4396619

>>4396382
If you're talking about winning single-player races against the AI:
Wipeout 1 > Wipeout 64 >>> Wipeout 3 > Wipeout 2097/XL. And before anyone gets mad that I'm dissing Wipeout 2097/XL as some kind of easymode baby game, I'm just saying that the AI is considerably less competitive even on phantom class. I think compared to 3, 2097/XL has trickier courses and physics for a newbie to master, but it's simply a fact that you can crash more times and still get 1st place. Wipeout 3 also has the LS104/AW73 prototype track which has super-powered enemy ships making it the hardest to get 1st out of all the oldschool tracks IMO. Wipeout 3 also has the "grid of golds" where to unlock everything you need to beat all tracks on all speed classes with all ships, and some combinations can be pretty tough.

To be clear I don't mean any of this as a pissing contest, just giving OP some info. I hope we can all agree that Wipeout 1 and 64 are much harder to get gold medals in overall. You practically need to race a couple perfect laps, which is not the case at all in the later games.