[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.97 MB, 333x267, bad math.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4392752 No.4392752 [Reply] [Original]

Just have a couple of questions about the EverDrive cartridges and ROMs.
First one being: Are ROMs actually 100% perfect? As in, when you dump them to an EverDrive, or whatever flashcart you have, will they be exactly the same as what the original cartridge was like when you play them?
Does the EverDrive have any inconsistency to it? Are there certain games EverDrive supports better than others?
Haven't really looked into them much, but considering it.

>> No.4392779

>>4392752
Read this.
>https://64bitorless.wordpress.com/rom-suffix-explanations/
Depending on the prefix the rom has it means it is perfect dump or not.

>> No.4392781

>>4392779
>suffix*

>> No.4392792

>>4392779
Okay, that's good to know, thanks a ton, Anon.
Do you know anything about what Flashcarts work best or what to look out for? As far as I know, EverDrive is the best of the FlashCarts, but maybe you'd know if there was a better way to go.

>> No.4392801

>>4392792
All I know is that no game is worth $150 flash card period.
Get the cheapest one that works from ali express and have fun.
People who pay crazy amounts of money doing because usually allows them to play some special games that had custom chips for processing.
If you want something better down the road you can shell out money then.

>> No.4392831

>>4392792
It depends a bit. I use an everdrive for genesis because there just aren't a lot of carts with special chipsets.

For the SNES I use SD2SNES over Everdrive. It has some advantages for speedrunning in terms of lag, and has better support for special chipsets. It also has more consistent firmware updates. It is however rather expensive at 200 dollars. Unless speedrunning is one of your goals, or you're really into the dozen or so games that use the Super FX or DSP chipsets, the EverDrive will probably be fine for you.

>> No.4392853

>>4392831
>SuperFX

Not supported.

>advantages for speedrunning in terms of lag

elaborate pls

>> No.4392857

>>4392801
The N64 one would be worth it for just the rareware catalog alone.

>> No.4392885

>>4392752
>the EverDrive
lol fuck off

>> No.4392969

>>4392792
I buy chink everdrive clones on AliExpress, no regrets so far.

My Genesis cart has worked with every game I've tried, except for 1, which I was able to fix with a patch. It was just some generic bullshit no-name everdrive clone and it was about $25.

I've also got an ED64 Plus, which is a chink clone of the Everdrive 64. The dude selling it gave me an SD card with the complete North American ROM set on it. Every game I tried has worked, including Pokemon Stadium 2 and Banjo-Tooie (despite tons of anons here telling me it wouldn't play them).

I've also got the Super Everdrive "china version", the GB Jack DIY, an EZ Flash IV for the GBA, and some cheap ass R4 cards for the DS. They all work fine.

Oh and I think that even the chink clones of the NES flash carts are too pricey, when you can buy some bullshit 500-in-1 multicart for less than $10.

>> No.4392975

>>4392779
>>4392781
>>4392792

Don't use fucking GoodSets, Anons. Why the fuck do you do this to yourselves?

https://archive.org/details/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed

>> No.4392980

>>4392969
>Pokemon Stadium 2 and Banjo-Tooie (despite tons of anons here telling me it wouldn't play them).
you're too stupid.
the problem with pokemon stadium 2 happens as graphical issues (if you're lucky), and banjo-tooie needs to be patched to work on a flashcart unless it comes with an UltraCIC II.
Either the rom you got from the seller is patched, or your ED64 came with the ultracic II.
only way to test it is to use a verified vanilla stock rom.

>> No.4392994

>>4392831
I use one for the Genesis because it can also act as a SEGA CD ram cart, which usually sell for around $40-$70.

>> No.4393020

>>4392975
what's wrong with goodsets?

>> No.4393023

>>4393020

Obsolete, with incredibly weak verification oversight.

>> No.4393357

>>4392752
wew lad. You should look into "it" much.
Are schools out for summer in the southern hemisphere or something? I've noticed a yuge increase in this kind of ignorant shitposting the last week or so.

>> No.4393360

>>4392752
Is there anyway to transfer saves from my actual N64 carts to an everdrive 64 cart or will i have to start games new again?

>> No.4393369

>>4393360
with a gamedumper

>> No.4393383

Are everdrives still improving?

I was thinking of buying a chinkclone and just waiting a few years until the "perfect" everdrive for NES is made.

>> No.4393504

>>4392980
I'm just saying what I've been told from other anons. I'm aware of the patches, it's evident in Banjo-Tooie because there's a weird custom intro when you boot the game. Pokemon Stadium 2 doesn't have a custom intro or anything, but I suppose it still could have been patched.

Also Pokemon Stadium 2 doesn't have any graphical issues I can pick out, and I played the game an insane amount as a child. I'm fairly certain I'd notice if it was a problem.

It's funny that so many anons say the ED64 Plus is a shit cart, when it's treated me so well. The only game I've found that it won't play correctly so far is Animal Forest, due to the lack of RTC functions. The game boots, but you constantly get the warning about the RTC not functioning. And I'll just play it on the GC anyway.

>> No.4393521

>>4393504
>Also Pokemon Stadium 2 doesn't have any graphical issues I can pick out, and I played the game an insane amount as a child. I'm fairly certain I'd notice if it was a problem.
The graphical issues only started happening after a certain update to the firmware, before that it worked fine. The problems you'd see if it was glitching are that the screenshot showing your Pokemon in various windows don't appear, the game is still 100% playable.

Also Banjo Tooie always has the custom intro on an ED64, it's built into the firmware.

>> No.4393524

>>4392831
>Speedruners lag

Get a load of this faker

>> No.4393651

OP here, back now, went to bed last night around 4 AM. Just read through the thread and have a few more questions.

>>4392801
Are there any specific Flash Carts that you would recommend, then? I understand not wanting to pay $150, but if there's advantages the EverDrive has over other Flashcarts, it might be justifiable, although I also understand that sometimes you are only paying more for a brand name just because it has a brand name.

>>4392831
Okay, thanks for the info. Speed running isn't something I'm really into, so that doesn't matter much to me, but the support for special chipsets interests me. I know that the SNES had some games that ran with SuperFX, but aside from that, were there any other chipsets used? Are there any other Flashcarts in particular you would recommend?

>>4392969
Nice, Anon. Maybe I'll have to look into that. Any chance you can post a link to the specific ED64+ you bought? I'd be interested in that. Also, I dunno much about Jap games on N64, but the only one I've ever wanted to play was Custom Robo. Do Flashcarts have anything that lets them get around region protection?
As for the other flashcarts after the N64, did Nintendo stop using special chipsets in their cart-platforms? (GBC/GBA/DS/3DS specifically) Are there any special advantages any flashcart has over another? And for the NES multicart, maybe I'd go with a flashcart just to make sure I had verified good ROMs on there, unless they're verified for the 500-in-1. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

>>4392994
So the EverDrive on the Genesis can support SegaCD games? Do you have to have a SegaCD attached to your genesis to play the games?

>>4393357
Well, I was up pretty late, Anon. Normally I get off work around 9, but I had to stay until 3 AM, so I was pretty tired. Pretty sure I meant both ROMs and EverDrives/Flashcarts in general, so I think 'them' works just fine, though. Still, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

>> No.4393668

>>4393651
>I know that the SNES had some games that ran with SuperFX, but aside from that, were there any other chipsets used? Are there any other Flashcarts in particular you would recommend?
https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility
this is a list of games that aren't running on any flash cart. if you cheap out and get a Super Everdrive, the only thing you need to add to that is Mega Man X2/3

>> No.4393680

>>4393651
I actually can't find them on AliExpress right now, I was trying to find one to buy for a friend for a Christmas gift.

There's a few listings for what looks exactly like what I have on eBay right now. There's one for $80 that has no negative feedback.

I also found one for $40, but it's a relatively new seller with not a lot of feedback. eBay is generally pretty good about giving your money back if something doesn't show up or doesn't work.

I don't know if posting the link here would be acceptable, but just search "ED64 plus" and you should find both the listings I'm talking about.

>> No.4393681

>>4393383

N8. It's already perfect, unless you want to savestate scum.

>> No.4393683

>>4393651
>Do Flashcarts have anything that lets them get around region protection?
Can you not google this? Can you not google any of this?

>> No.4393707

>>4393651

Sega CD does not play from the flash cart. You have to have a CD unit and the disk (or a burned one). The cart acts as a backup ram cart. In other words a memory card. Original memory cards either need the battery replaced (easy if you can solder) or aftermarket ones which are expensive. The mega everdrive is only slightly more than the big (new) aftermarket ram carts. Mega everdrive is 100% compatible as far as anyone knows and it plays all 32x games (yes you need a 32x to do so).

SD2SNES is pretty much perfect. The only games of matter that won't play are super mario rpg, doom, kirby super star, kirby dream land 3, mega man x3, star fox, yoshi's island. Other than that, you'll need no other physical media.

>> No.4393713

>>4393707
actually mega man x3 works on sd2snes.

>> No.4393772
File: 26 KB, 500x375, Hey there.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4393668
Thanks, Anon. That's pretty awesome.

>>4393680
No worries, I'll take a look and keep an eye out for it. I appreciate the help, Anon.

>>4393683
I could, but the great part about 4chan users is that they typically use their toys and devices. I can go google these things, but I wouldn't be too sure I was looking at the right options for myself. 4chan users, especially here on /vr/, are pretty good about sharing their opinions and experiences with their things, though. Makes it a bit easier for me to get the information I actually want.
Can't trust YouTube because its full of paid shills.
Can't trust reviews on any particular website because they could be alternate accounts. (eBay is an exception to some degree, but plenty of people there only say "It worked out of the box and it got here safely" which doesn't tell me anything about the longevity of said piece of kit.)
It's just hard to find honest reviews. And any inconsistencies that would be found on any of these devices would be harshly criticized here as well, which would put it out there for me to know about and help inform my decision. 4chan is probably one of the best places to ask these questions because you get both sides of the argument.

>>4393707
I see, thanks Anon. Thankfully I have a 32x, so that'll be fine. Now I just need to find a decently priced SegaCD. The battery issue isn't much of a problem for me, I know how to solder and have recently re-capped all of my consoles. But that's a handy feature just in case, I appreciate the info.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate the advice.

>> No.4393774

>>4393772
It should be noted that you can use an Everdrive to flash the BIOS of a Sega CD, have it boot as a Japanese model, and play import games, if you should desire. Or just flash a different USA bios if you prefer one of the intro tunes more.

>> No.4393793
File: 3.83 MB, 320x211, the wheels ont he bus.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4393772
Oh yeah, since all my questions have been answered, I guess I'm just gonna open the thread up for other questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Post 'em here, fellas.

>> No.4393797

>>4393774
Oh nice! That's pretty useful. Just wondering, does that work with any other system/peripheral?

>> No.4393817

>>4393797
Action Replay on the Saturn kind of works similarly in practice. It is a cartridge that over-rides the region lock. But it is working differently inside. On the Everdrive, since the Sega CD doesn't boot if a cartridge is in the slot, you put the BIOS on the SD card, and select it as a bootable ROM and it forces the Sega CD to boot up with that BIOS. Same effect, but its a bit different in what it is doing.

>> No.4394387

>>4392752
Did he really not see that wall?

>> No.4394392
File: 16 KB, 320x320, ckPu0hL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4392831
>For the SNES I use SD2SNES over Everdrive. It has some advantages for speedrunning in terms of lag,
>LAG

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS

>> No.4394432

>>4393772
>I COULD google up my own answers, but when I ask to be spoonfed, people always deliver.
Which is why about 50% of this board is "Should I buy X?/what are good games for X console?/How do I get past this part that gamefaqs could tell me?"

>> No.4394495
File: 161 KB, 1116x782, MkIIaMulticart01[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4392969
Multicarts are just one rom that acts as a rom directory for all the built in games.

Flashcarts use fpga computer chips to utilize features like sound chip emulation and communicating with modern storage interfaces/standards.

While I agree they do "the same thing" at the end of the day, the price difference comes from flash carts being a more complex technology than multicarts.

>> No.4394523

>>4394392
No idea. Once the ROM is loaded there shouldn't be any speed difference between SD2SNES and SED.

That said the SD2SNES does have one major advantage if you're speedrunning Super Metroid specifically: the practice ROM's savestates only work on the SD2SNES. It makes practice infinitely more efficient.

>> No.4394642

>>4394432
I think you misunderstand the rest of the comment.
There's a difference between having done no research and expecting you to give me all the information you have, and what I've done.
I've looked into these a little and I'm not exactly sure where to go with things. I didn't understand how to tell a good ROM from a bad one until this thread and I've looked around a little to see various keys and legends on other ROM sites, but in the end, I still didn't know what really counted as verified good.
On the other hand, I've looked into Flash carts a little. Not much, but still a little. It's not like I just magically heard the word and said "Man I really want one." Instead I said, "I'm thinking about getting FlashCarts, but I don't know what to get."
You see the difference? The purpose of this thread being, there are people here who use these things and can tell me about them. YouTube videos are okay, but the people there specifically shill the product they're using, which means that they're not going to really talk about the pros and cons and how it's really worked for them. The reason being, typically, they've just gotten one of those within the week and decided to make a video about their new piece of tech. And as I previously explained about eBay, people only really leave "It came to me safely and it worked out of the box" which doesn't give me the info I want either. There's not many places that have ever really done much testing with these and can really tell you how these work, which is why I would go somewhere like /vr/ and say, "Hey, I haven't looked into this much, but I do have some questions about it that haven't been answered yet." Now in some instances of this, SD2SNES, that would have been easily found for a compatibility listing, but this doesn't tell me the overall quality of the product.
There's more here on what it's functionality is than what would normally be put on any of the other sites.
(continued in next post)

>> No.4394643

>>4394642
Now, while no one has given me a specific lifespan on these FlashCarts, I don't particularly mind because part of the allure of coming to a place like this is that people will put their opinions and experiences out in front of everyone without any real regard for their preconceived notions and feelings. The fact that no one has said these carts burn out at the drop of a hat, or that they fuse to the slot, or that they damage your console tells me that these particular people haven't had that issue with the products they've listed. This tells me that I probably won't have these issues either, which is fine by me because I want to steer clear of products that may do that. So far, everyone has told me the FlashCarts they have that are not specifically EverDrive carts that are working perfectly fine for them, which gives me cheaper options and lets me know that they work for what I would want them to.

That's why I made this thread. And an added bonus was the Anon or Anons telling me about being able to flash different BIOS files to my hardware in some instances to get around region protection, which I hadn't seen as a function yet. I get that I can spend hours upon hours researching this, and I agree, for people asking specifically "Should I buy X" then they shouldn't be, because obviously they don't know why they would want one. In this case, I already know why I want one, I'm asking which one would be better.

That's the difference in this thread, Anon.

>> No.4394673

>>4392752
>Are ROMs actually 100% perfect?
IF they're dumped properly, yes.

>will they be exactly the same as what the original cartridge
yes, it's just a collection of data. only exceptions are games with special chips that require emulating

>> No.4394679

>>4392801
>All I know is that no game is worth $150 flash card period.
All I know is Earthbound is not worth $150, period. 'Overpriced' flashcarts pays for itself the more you use it. Being a collectorfag never pays for itself.

>> No.4394705

>>4394679
This.

>> No.4394763

>>4392752
>Are ROMs actually 100% perfect? As in, when you dump them to an EverDrive, or whatever flashcart you have, will they be exactly the same as what the original cartridge was like when you play them?
Yes. The game will either work 100% like it was on an official cart or it won't work at all. It's the same rom being run on the real hardware, so there is no difference in performance, it is literally the real thing.
>Does the EverDrive have any inconsistency to it? Are there certain games EverDrive supports better than others?
There are a few games that won't work because they require certain chips that the Everdrive doesn't have. It's not a lot of games. If you can start a game beyond the title screen and it plays okay you can be certain the game is fine and you can play perfectly.

The same applies to any brand of flashcart.

>> No.4394780
File: 773 KB, 260x221, 1436150751257.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone bought an Everdrive 64? Was wondering if Resident Evil 2 worked.

>> No.4394792

>>4394780
Do some research yourself you tard.
yes, it should work, the Everdrive 64 works for like 99.9% of all games released.

>> No.4394830

>>4394679
OP here
I've collected for a long time, kept my games from when I was a kid playing the Atari 2600. I've been content playing these games as they came out for awhile, going up through all the consoles and the like, at one point I actually had to sell some of my stuff so I could make my house payment because I got laid off at work and I have 3 kids. It sucked, but I'll give up my hobby just so I can feed my children. I walked away from gaming for awhile because I was taking care of my family, but now that I'm trying to get everything back, it's way too expensive.
Currently I have the following:
>Atari 2600
>NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii
>GB, GBC, GBA/SP, DS, 3DS
>Genesis, Nomad, Dreamcast
>PC-Engine Duo-R
>PS1, PS2
>Xbox, 360

Now, the Genesis I have plenty of games for, it's actually the only thing I didn't end up selling because the games have never fetched a decent price and it was my favorite system anyway, although I would have sold it if it meant I could pay for the really important things.
I have 30 games for SNES, I've picked up a few NES games here and there, same with the N64.
My Atari collection is back where it was, but that's because the games are so cheap anyway.
I picked up the PC-Engine because it was modded and cost less than a TG16. It plays NA/JP, it's actually pretty cool. Still looking to get my hands on another Saturn, and some other things, but the games and even consoles themselves in some instances are stupidly expensive.
That's why I'm thinking about getting a FlashCart of some kind, I'll gladly spend extra if the big brand has better support or more features that I would actually make use of. I don't particularly want to spend cash on stupid features I'll never use, I'm somewhat practical, but otherwise, whatever gets me the results I want.

>> No.4394903

>>4394780
I just confirmed for you: yes, it works. I think it requires expansion pack, btw.

>> No.4394979

>>4392969
Those 500 in 1 NES multicarts are pretty terrible for your system's health
Also they have clock speed issues with some games

>> No.4395494

>>4394979
>your system's health
The sate of underage these days

>> No.4395863

>ordered Everdrive from europe oct 19
>tracking says ukraine since oct 29
>order a second everdrive from usa retailer sunday because i need it by thanksgiving
>original tracking info updates today saying its out for delivery
fuck me. think I can email the usa guys and tell them to cancel my order before it ships?

>> No.4395868

>>4395863
Doesn't hurt to ask. They might even accept returns if you send it back.

Worst case scenario, you can re-sell it on eBay and recoup most of your money.

>> No.4395873

>>4394780
v2 works for every game but pokemon stadium 2 and animal crossing 64.
v3 fixes those 2 games but is like $70 more, but also makes it so you dont have to reset to write saves.

>> No.4395875

>>4393681
Still lacks a lot of mapper support and the FDS sound is still out-of-tune and unlistenable. It's great, but it's by no means perfect.

>> No.4395878

>>4395494
Those multicarts will at the very least burn themselves up, and they are often a collection of mismatched region games, >>4394979 is right about that.

>> No.4395879

>>4395868
yeah i guess ill do that, im just miffed the tracking info didnt tell me it actually made it to the US over a week ago. if i waited one more day i wouldve had had to order the second one

>> No.4395931

>>4395863
sincerely hope you can't cancel and return. ;^)

>> No.4395946

>>4395931
wanna buy an everdrive 64 from me? :^>

>> No.4397806 [DELETED] 

>>4395878
>things never said backed up by things never said
topkekkid

>> No.4397810

>>4395494
Putting chips that fry themselves into your electronics is not a good idea.

>> No.4397851

>>4397806
>topkekkid
>>>/r/eddit

Maybe when you get your own bank account you can order a $3 multi-cart from China and determine it yourself, faggot. It's not hard to touch a cart after 1/2 hour of play and think to yourself 'oh wow this is like 10x hotter than a normal cart, that can't be good'.

>> No.4398874

>>4397851
You can try to change the subject and cry and project but it doesn't change the fact that you're a fool who fell for the 3.3v exploding console meme

>> No.4399672

>>4398874
>cry
>project
>shitposts getting pruned
Didn't fall for shit, I own a few EverDrives and junk multicarts. The EDs are fine, the multicart boards are too hot to touch after playing for awhile, anyone with a sense of touch could tel you that's not a good thing. Isn't NeoGAF back up? You don't have to stay.