[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.29 MB, 2480x3508, metroid II.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
436782 No.436782 [Reply] [Original]

Metroid II: Return of Samus is the best 2D Metroid.
You all know that this is true and nobody can deny this because I said so.

>> No.436839

It was good, but not the best one. Though it's a shame the spider ball never returned.

>> No.436837

>thinking that pile of shit is better than Super
Kids these days.

>> No.436845

>>436839
Spiderball is in the Prime trilogy.
Makes sense why it never came back in a 2D game, though, since it's so broken.

>> No.436851

Did that fan remake fall flat?

Also have some chiptunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBR7c-uYVhg

>> No.436858

SM > Metroid = Zero Mission > Metroid 2 > Fusion

>> No.436864
File: 44 KB, 345x595, 1365249974101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>436858
>Metroid = Zero Mission

>> No.436869

>>436845
I SAID IT'S A SHAME THE SPIDER BALL NEVER RETURNED.

>> No.436873

>>436869
I SAID IT RETURNED IN THE 3D GAMES

>> No.436884

>>436869

/v/ pls go

>> No.436893

>>436884
/vp/ pls go

>> No.436895
File: 246 KB, 792x612, hovering_organism__metroid_by_samolo-d2yvnwe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Metroid II remake when?

>> No.436903

>>436893
>>436884
/vg/ pls go

>> No.436915

I'd like Metroid II a lot more if it wasn't on the Game Boy. I still like it, but I think the platform kind of holds it back.

>> No.436920

>>436914
>>436915
Super Game Boy improves it.

>> No.436914

>>436782

I really wish I had the capacity to enjoy Game Boy games.

But no, even as a kid I found the idea of the tiny screen and two buttons repulsive. It was either PC or console.

>> No.436938

>>436895
What's going on with the fan remake?

>> No.436978
File: 94 KB, 400x300, return of samsung.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>436851
>>436938
There's a demo avaible, just google for Project AM2R.
The gameplay feels much faster than any of the old games, but otherwise it's pretty awesome.

>> No.436996

Superior linear map
Shortest load times (Super Metroid fails hard here)
But the jumping feels too slow

It's a pity you can't fix the Super Metroid load times with overclocking without breaking the rest of the game. Maybe I can add an overclocking control opcode to some emulator and hack the rom to overclock only during the loading scrolls/fades (and speed those up).

>> No.438860

>>436996
>superior linear-

I'm gonna stop you there.

Since when is linearity in a Metroid game good? I like Metroid II too, but linearity is not an advantage it has over anything.

>> No.438878

>>436869
sakemotor plz go

>> No.438906

>>436851
>>436978
http://metroid2remake .blogspot .com/

Progress is slow, but it's pretty great so far. It does serious justice to the Arachnus battle.

>> No.439001

Think I got lost more in Metroid II more than I did the original. Would always find a "hidden" route through the walls to get to where the Metroids were, then later I would inadvertently double back the "regular" way, causing me to go around in a big circle.

>> No.439867

>>436782
I have the actual cart. It's one of the first gb games I ever bought. I may have even came with my gray brick, I don't remember.
I never finished it.

>> No.439893

>>436938
>>436978
>>436851
>yfw Nintendo Cease and Desist

>> No.439929

>>436914

I enjoy some of them, but I don't get the stupid idea in my head that a handheld installment of a franchise is on the same level or superior to the console versions. I like Link's Awakening but calling LA better than LTTP is just silly.

>> No.440041

>>439929
Actually, a lot of people here feel LA is better than ALttP.

>> No.440064

>>440041

.. and it's not. ALTTP is a more "complete" game. LA is more of a "play it while in the back seat of the car going to Grandma's house" game.

>> No.440078

>>438860
Because linearity means the developers can test and optimize the level design and enemy placement so you're always appropriately challenged.

"Non-linear" means you spend a lot of time wandering about lost, and the difficulty is wildly uneven. It's popular only with the kind of idiot who thinks video games are art.

>> No.440517

>>440064
>ALTTP is a more "complete" game.
Whatever that means. Anyways, LA shits on it in terms of story, dungeons, overworld, and useful items.

>> No.440519

>>440078
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBR7c-uYVhg
I'm disagree. Non-linearity (well-done) gives the game the ability to be explored in different ways each time you play it.
I don't know about Metroid, but Symphony of the Night is a game that does this very well. After the first few abilities, you have a very nice sense of freedom, which is very rewarding on a second playthrough when you know what you need to complete the game with the minimum amount of items/exploration.
Later "Metroidvania" Castlevanias simplified this a lot, became more linear, and less fun to play more than once.

>> No.440549

>>440519
(Sorry about the mispelling and non-related quote, I rushed the post a bit)

>> No.440631

>>440517

oh boy you're probably one of those faggots that likes all the unpopular entries best, MM, Zelda 2, etc.

>story
It was all a dream, so DEEP!
>dungeons
can't remember LA dungeons that vividly but I think I remember them being shorter.
>overworld
LTTP had a larger overworld with more things to find in it, in fact it had 2 overworlds.
>useful items
the only item in the game NOT directly copied from LTTP was the Roc's Feather.

That's it. Every other item was from LTTP. You were also missing LTTP tools like the magic cape, ice rod, bug catching net/bottles, and 3 magic spells.

>> No.440702

>>439929
>>440041
>>440064
>>440517
>>440631
In case you have forgotten, this is a Metroid thread

>> No.440730

>>440631

>mfw I love MM and Zelda 2 the best but still acknowledges the qualities of alttp and oot. not too fond of awakening though

why you gotta be so harsh bro

>> No.440747

>>440702
kids will be kids no matter how old they grow

>> No.440794

>>440519
Symphony of the Night is shit. Difficulty level is completely broken. The only way to enjoy it is speedrunning, and if a game needs player imposed challenges to be good it's a bad game.

>> No.440927

>>440702

it is true, I'm sorry, It's just another example of people making the claim that the handheld version is better than the console version which is a really odd hipster opinion to have.

Super Metroid is on so many levels better than Metroid II it's not even funny. Super Metroid is about the greatest 2D game ever made.

>> No.440962

>>440730

>favorite Zelda games are the games that aren't Zelda games

why you gotta be so hipster bro

>> No.440982

Metroid II is sitting in my GB Player right now.

The last I played it, I had just gotten the Spiderball, then kind of lost any desire to keep playing it. I don't know why, but it just isn't grabbing me.

>> No.441216

>>440982

I could never get into Metroid 1 or 2. I finished 1 purely out of historical curiosity and respect for where the series began, but it was just so...eh. The copypasted environments detract from the immersion and exploration, and anything those games did well has since been surpassed by at least one later Metroid game (usually Super).

Let's just say I would not present either as examples of "aging well".

>> No.441467

>>441216

I wouldn't so much say it's a matter of it not aging well; I mean, it is an original Game Boy game. Those weren't very good to begin with. I just played through the first Metroid again, in order to play II (which I had never previously played) and the original just seems more fun to play. Maybe I'm missing something.

>> No.441549

>>439893
The AM2R project has been going for 4-5 years and appeared on a number of publicized amateur programming events. So I doubt that'll ever happen.

The only things Nintendo seems concerned with are stopping the spread of flashcard devices and people profiting off their IPs, like that one Chinese LoZ:OoT clone a couple years back. For the most part they don't even bother policing ROMs anymore and while they're asspained over ISOs, doesn't look like a lot are being done about those either.

Now if this were a Chrono Trigger hack or remake, well we all know how those end. With a C&D letter.

>> No.444406

>>436837

>calling a game shit because its older than Super
>calling someone else a kid

>>436845

Spiderball in the Prime games was nowhere near the same. it only worked on a handful of areas, tracks where the spiderball would attack by magnetic force. The Spiderball in Metroid II could work on any solid surface and was not related in any way to magnetic force.

In before 'shut up Prime games are perfect.'

>>438878

Sakamoto didn't work on Metroid II. Ignorance please go.

>>436978

>tons of new items not found in Metroid II or any other Metroid
>many areas have been changed more than they need to be

Frankly, I'm glad Nintendo stopped this project. There's already dozens of crappy Super Metroid hacks out there with made up items and 'new' poorly designed areas. We didn't need a guy piggy backing on the Metroid II name making another one.

>> No.444443
File: 19 KB, 124x141, facepalm_samus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>441216

Metroid II set the stage for all later 2D Metroid games in both graphics and story. It also has the best graphics for a regular game boy game. They even used it has the template for reverse engineering color into Super Game Boy/Game Boy Color.

If you're going to claim Metroid II didn't age well, you have to claim no GB game aged well.

Oh wait...

>>441467

>I mean, it is an original Game Boy game. Those weren't very good to begin with.

Well, looks like there is someone stupid enough to claim this.

>> No.444479

Why do I get the feeling people claiming Metroid II is the superior 2d is because Super Metroid is constantly heralded and they want to be different.

>> No.444527

>>444406
>Frankly, I'm glad Nintendo stopped this project.

you got April Fooled, you idiot

>> No.444532
File: 155 KB, 413x511, samus_doko.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>444479

Metroid II is my favorite Metroid. But even I acknowledge that Super and Zero Mission are the best.

This is why I hope they'll someday make a remake of Metroid II similar to how they did Zero Mission. It really could be considered as good as all the others if they just updated it for all the casuals who can't play a Metroid without a map and 'graphics'.

And no, I don't mean that fan made project. I mean Nintendo themselves. And no, before you start bitching 'SAKAMOTO OMG!!!'. Sakamoto didn't direct Zero Mission. They could get the team that did Zero Mission to do Metroid II remake.

>> No.444574

>>444443
>aging is only about grafix

>> No.444607

>>444406
learn your shit before spouting retarded things
http://youtu.be/RqNb8Rv65o8=1

>> No.444627

I only recently played it, and that's because I picked up a super-gameboy. Honestly super-metroid is the best.

>> No.444645

>>444479

Eh, I always thought Zero Mission is the best 2D Metroid and Prime the best Metroid game overall

>> No.444656

>>436858
Gonna give my opinion on the ones I've actually played.
Zero Mission > Super Metroid > Prime > Metroid II > Fusion > Other M > Metroid

Zero Mission just has the tightest gameplay, and even though the game annoyingly tells you where to go, it's aways fun to go through and try to figure out new ways to sequence break.
I didn't thought even though Fusion and Other M didn't emphasize exploration as heavily as the others, the gameplay was fun enough.

And I didn't particularly like the original Metroid because it tended to be incredibly tedious with its long vertical corridors and with the fact that you have to grind for health at the start of every game.

Which makes me want to google a romhack for it that gets rid of that last annoyance.

>> No.444668

>>444645
Agreed. I'd rank them: Prime > ZM > Super > everything else.

>> No.444671

>>444656
>I didn't thought even though Fusion and Other M didn't emphasize exploration as heavily as the others, the gameplay was fun enough.
Oh god, I should stop rewriting sentences. I thought even though Fusion and Other M...

>> No.444710

>>444406
>Frankly, I'm glad Nintendo stopped this project. There's already dozens of crappy Super Metroid hacks out there with made up items and 'new' poorly designed areas. We didn't need a guy piggy backing on the Metroid II name making another one.
I don't understand your hatred for this. You sound entirely irrational. First, it's not a hack, as a quick look at the website will tell. Second, ALL Metroid items are "made up". I'd rather have something that looks like this "piggybacking" on the Metroid name than Other M.
It sounds like you just hate fan games in general.

>> No.444714

>>436782
In a universe where Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission exist, Metroid II is absolutely NOT the best 2D Metroid.

Not even on the best drugs in the world, not even in the strongest delusional state of denial, not even if you were to enter the Bizzarro universe, it'd still suck there.

Fact is, it's not only not fun to play in the least, the controls are just stiff feeling, the level layouts are linear, unimajinative and lack challenge in general, the plot was a cheap excuse to make a cheap sequel and its frankly juist a bad game all around.

It did have some good ideas in it that ended up making their way into the rest of the series, but that doesn't make it any better than the likes of Zelda 2, Mario Brothers 2 (USA), Final Fantasy II or Devil May Cry 2.

/thread.

>> No.444716

>>436914
The b/w actually works wonders for the atmosphere. Half-assed gbc colors would look gaudy as shit. Not to mention the game plays surprisingly smoothly.

>> No.444831

>>444716
The colors look fine on my GBC. It makes it easier to differentiate some objects, actually.

>> No.448807

>>444716
Metroid 2 had kept the GBC colour palette addition to GB games function in mind when it was made. So playing it on a GBC, GBA, or Super GB actually makes it look fine. I just wish there was an emulator that did it right.

>> No.448865

>>436782
Metroid II was very good, but I think I would only prefer it due to the amount of times I completed it before I played the others. I can remember years ago, sitting with my brick in front of the computer with a whole world map up on a help site because I kept getting lost in all the cave networks; Consequently played it over and over 'till I kenew it like the back of my hand.
Stop going on about aging and shit, its just a good game.
Dis game.
Dem memories.

>> No.450385

>>440078
I don't think your logic would work as well if you were talking about a different game, like Final Fantasy XIII

>> No.453127

>>444406
Spider ball was good in Prime because it was limited.
Can you imagine how broken Super would be if you could just spiderball over everything? Or if you could do it in Prime?

>> No.453192

When playing on Super Boy, Metroid II is much better than the original. I just feel like Metroid isn't a portable game. Metroid Prime Hunters was damn good, but its not a 2D Metroid. Fusion captured the atmosphere of Super Metroid, but having a computer tell you where to go was kinda lame and pretty much irrelevant to what actually happened in the game. When it came to the Game Boy Metroid games, I always had to play them on Super Boy or Game Boy Player for GameCube.

Super Metroid will always be the best 2D Metroid though. So deep and immersive. Dat music.

>> No.455125 [DELETED] 

>>453127

Metroid II was a completely open exploration game where the only roadblock was lava. The fact that you could use a Spiderball to help that exploration just further proves how open and free the environment was.

Prime limited your progress all over the place because of the items. At best you can say that Prime shouldn't have had the Spiderball at all because it was just another item that only helped you get past a handful of roadblocks specifically made because you lacked that item. Aside from using the Spiderball to get past those areas or a few helpful bosses, it was pretty much useless.

While you could play the entirety of Metroid II without even getting the Spider Ball. So it never became a roadblock. Only certain areas would be a little more challenging to get past because you had to either use bombs to hop or space jump. But you still had other options, unlike in Metroid Prime which forced your entire exploration progress to a halt until you got Spiderball.

>> No.455248

>>453127

>Can you imagine how broken Super would be if you could just spiderball over everything? Or if you could do it in Prime?

Both those games would only be 'broken' because they rely on your items themselves to halt your exploration progress. Whereas Metroid II was completely open about exploring the world, so the vast majority of items didn't halt your progress.

Hell, they even gave you missiles at the start of the game. Its clear they didn't want people to run into a missile door or a Metroid and be 'stuck'. Whereas in Super or Prime, if you come up to a locked door, you need to go back and get that specific item to open it. The only things that block your progress in Metroid II is having to kill the Metroids themselves to make the Lava drain.

In short, Prime and Super could have had the Spider Ball. But they would have had to change the entire way the game played. So in other words, Prime shouldn't have had the Spider ball at all if it wasn't able to let you use it fully. Because in Prime, its just another item you have to get as mandatory to progress in the game. Whereas you can play the entire game of Metroid II without Spider ball (and many other items).

>> No.456126

It's definitely underappreciated. It's a great installment in a fabulous and legendary trilogy.

The atmosphere is much better than the original - more desolate, more isolated, and more frightening, especially with a bizarre and off-putting score.

All three can rightly be called Yokoi's software masterpieces.

>> No.456164

>>453192
I dunno if I'd call Hunters damn good. It was a decent FPS, probably the best on the DS, but it wasn't fantastic and it wasn't very Metroid-y.

>> No.456243

>>456164
I remember being disappointed as hell when I got my hands on Hunters. It was like a mash-up of a generic shooter with bits of Super Monkey Ball.

I seriously hope they make another (more or less) non-linear 2D Metroid game some day.

>> No.456251

I prefer the original Metroid, but I can respect you because you aren't a Super, ZM, or Fusion babby.

>> No.456270

>>441216
>The copypasted environments detract from the immersion and exploration

I would say it's just the opposite. The original Metroid is supposed to be confusing and disorienting. You're supposed to get lost. It conveys a feeling of isolation and oppressiveness exceptionally well.

>> No.456786

As much as I love the entire franchise .... I would have to go with Fusion for 2D ... granted it is linear but the suspense makes up for the linearness of it

>> No.456848

>>436996
...load times? On a SNES game? What are you talking about?

>> No.456875

>>456848
Slow fade to black, slow scroll of the door, slow fade in again. Bad attempt at hiding the delay while copying data to VRAM etc.

It's present in lots of cartridge based games, and it's often fixable with overclocking.

>> No.456960

>>456126
B-but muh Kid Icarus !

>> No.456963

>>436782
How many times are you going to make this thread?

>> No.457387

>>455248
Well fucking duh.
The way Super and Prime work doesn't allow for a free roaming spider ball.

>> No.457393
File: 7 KB, 118x98, 1363812856926.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>455248
Super could have had the Spider Ball easily. Just put it near the end, like M2 did. The Space Jump is essentially the same item, mobility-wise, and no one is claiming that broke the game. You can finish the game without Space Jump and you can finish it without Spider Ball.

Prime, well..
>
I'll stay out of that discussion.

>> No.457706

>>457393
>Just put it near the end, like M2 did.
The Spider Ball is near the beginning of Metroid 2, in Area 1. Ya blew it, anon.

>> No.457715

The Spider Ball would have been completely fine in Super Metroid. There is literally nowhere in the entire game that it could get you to that you couldn't already get to with walljumping, IBJing, or other items you would have at the time you get to x area. Both techniques the game already teaches you.

>> No.457732
File: 9 KB, 476x316, samus.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think your opinion is a bit strange, OP, but I don't understand all the butthurt.

Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I don't agree. I love all the Metroid games besides Other M of course.

>> No.457842

>>457732
>Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't mean I don't agree
It actually does.

>> No.457880

>>457393
The problem with Spider Ball is now the game expects you to bomb every single ceiling to test for secrets. If you're not following a guide or something like a big cheater.