[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 81 KB, 600x378, Shenmue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4334559 No.4334559 [Reply] [Original]

Is "Shenmue is boring" nothing more than a meme spouted by hacks like Jeff Gerstmann who can't handle games that don't offer constant action and instant gratification? Anyone with a hint of patience can see that Shenmue is an incredible adventure game with more attention to detail and world interactivity than most of the shit coming out today. I'm currently on the final disc of this game and can't wait to play II, considering that one is held in higher regard.

Anyway, Shenmue thread. Post favorite characters, areas, minigames, etc.

>> No.4334569

Look at modern walking sims and how well they are reviewed.

>> No.4334582

>>4334559
Can you explain to me what exactly you see in this game? I enjoyed it a fair amount my first time through, but I see little to no replay value in it.

>> No.4334586

>>4334582
The thing that makes me really fall in love with Shenmue is the near-absurd attention to detail, such as every drawer having different contents, the soda machines, the capsule toy collecting, the minigames, and how all of those can be used as a vehicle to pass time during time-sensitive story segments. If it didn't have all those really little things, it would merely be a pretty good adventure game, but the sheer amount of subtle detail and interactivity are what make it what it is for me. In regards to replayability, however, I agree. I don't know if I'd want to play through it all over again until I've spent a long time away from it.

>> No.4334593

>>4334586
>If it didn't have all those really little things, it would merely be a pretty good adventure game

If it didn't have all of those things, it would be a walking simulator where you just interact with people.

>> No.4334609

>>4334586
This. The autistic attention to detail is what pulled me in. To put it into perspective, the game incorporates the actual weather patterns that occurred on those dates in that region that the game models.

>> No.4334623

>>4334559
Shenmue is pretty fun. Only filthy casuals who don't like the slow pace of the game, can't enjoy it. They just don't have patience.

>> No.4334636

>>4334559
Literally nothing to do and this shit pile invented quick time events. Plus you run around asking the same 3 or 4 questions to everyone in town for a few hours and then get a day job driving forklifts until the game ends and you haven't accomplished shit.

Waste of money and waste of time, I made the mistake of getting this garbage when it was released and I'm glad I didn't get the sequel because it looked even worse.

>> No.4334647

>>4334636
>Filthy casual gaymer detected
Go back to /v/

>> No.4334691 [DELETED] 

>>4334636
How do you manage to eat with all those dicks in your mouth? Is your only sustenance protein from gallons of semen?

>> No.4334701

>>4334691
>How do you manage to eat with all those dicks in your mouth? Is your only sustenance protein from gallons of semen?
what does this have to do with anything

>>>/b/
>>>/v/
>>>/out/

>> No.4334704

>>4334636
It invented the name but not the concept. Dragon's lair is a game based entirely around them.

>> No.4334730

Really enjoyed my time with it but let's be real guys. We raced forklifts every morning and worked all afternoon for literal hours of in-game time just to get enough money.

>> No.4334795

>>4334593
What is bad about a game like that though?

>> No.4334856

>>4334730
Still better than actually working.

>> No.4335010

>>4334559
I really like the setting and atmosphere, especially in Hong Kong

>> No.4335153

>>4334856
And just like real life, I had all that money but no time to visit the arcade.

>> No.4335190

>>4334582
I don't understand the replay value argument. ContraIII aka SuperProbotector, Mario World, Demons Crest, Actraiser1&2, ZeldaIII, Axelay are all some of the best games on this planet, and they all have no replay value. Shovel Knight is a more modern example. Anyway, replay value has nothing to do with a good game. As a game designer adding replay value to a game is an artificial part of a game.

>> No.4335416

>>4334586
Agree completely. I think the reason you don't necessarily see the "replay value" a lot of people talk about because they mean just going back and spending time in the world working on capsule collections and playing games and etc which isn't technically "replay". Too bad it doesn't have some mechanic that's specifically a long-game element but I guess it just wasn't conceived that way