[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 325x477, 1507183590228.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4306312 No.4306312 [Reply] [Original]

What's the worst retro game you have played that's so bad it's good? What sucked you in even though you could barely control it.

Sonic adventure is a good example. It plays terribly and yet it's fun as hell (for the most part)

>> No.4306576

I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog. It had this goofy B-movie feel to it and I don't think it was intentional.

>> No.4306609
File: 7 KB, 169x217, Interplay LOTR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4306312
I quite liked pic related. The gameplay aspect is terrible, it's this weird half adventure game half RPG, which fails at both aspects. The combat is dull and lackluster, as the encounters are generally not well balanced to your likely party; and there's very rarely a point to it. Once you've gotten to Rivendell, there's very little htat can actually threaten you. Similarly, the non-combat hazards are very poorly implemented. There's a chasm? You need to jump over it? Well as long as any one dude in the fellowship has the jump skill, you can hop over and back and again and again at zero risk whatsoever. Which means that as you accrue more items and party members with an array of skills, fewer and fewer things can hurt you.

But it is the single best adaptation of Tolkien I have ever seen in my life. As someone who is a nutty Tolkienfag, this level of worldbuilding, not just including things JRRT wrote but actually adding them in so that it works takes my breath away.

>> No.4306612

>>4306576
not retro

>> No.4308214

>>4306609
Really? I will have to give this game a shot. Moria and Angband are the closest I've found of a 'good' LOTR game, including modern stuff.

>> No.4308234

>>4306612
Are you high or retarded?

>> No.4308242

>>4308234
Read the fucking sticky, PS2 is not retro.

>> No.4308493

I don't get the "it's so bad it's good" thing.

If it's fun to play, it's a good game, end of story.

>> No.4309181

>>4306609
I have the hardest time surviving the Shire in that game. I'm semi-forced to rush to give the deed to that one person so the guards don't come for me, and I never seem to be able to get enough stuff to let me survive once I leave town. Still wanna play through and beat it though, mainly out of revenge.

>> No.4309356
File: 480 KB, 609x720, 1507123463581.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4306312
Pic related.
It has awful luck based gameplay, and terrible voice acting and dialogue, but what makes it so bad it's good is the fact that it insists it takes place in California, when it clearly takes place in Japan. It's so jarring, it's hilarious. I know most retro vidya used to do that, but here it's like they didn't even try.

>> No.4309609

>>4309181
It works on an area progressed set of triggers, not time. Yes, you have to give the Bag End Key to Lobelia, but you don't have to particularly hurry, you just need to do it before you go to Buckland.

If you want a full walkthrough from someone who played the game way too much but doesn't have it open or any notes

Step 1, Recruit Sam and Pippin
Step 2, go into Bag End. Read in the library to get the Luthien Word of Power, pick the lock on the chest for some money, and get the torch and rations in the SE storeroom, give both to Frodo.
Step 3: Go east into Green Hill Country. A bit to the north is some Athelas, grab it. To the east are some ruins, use Charisma (Sam has it) to pick up Taffy, and then go south to the cliff face to get into a cave to rescue Freddi. If you run into a wolf, trade it the rations you picked up to get it to go away, it's easier than fighting. Inside the cave, go north, kill the spider, rescue Freddi, and pick up the axe and star key. Jump over the chasm to the left, use the star key on the door, and again on the statue. Promise to serve the King, and then you can take his money and the ghost ruby.
Step 4. Go back to Bag End, now go south. You can destroy the machine of Saruman by sneaking in at night and pressing random buttons, but it doesn't really do much. Somewhere there's Anson Goodbody, whose dog ran away. Get the dog back (he ran west), with Charisma to get a shovel and some advice. Trade the key to Lobelia, and then follow the road to the line of inns. You can trade the axe to a dwarf named Druin to join you, and Taffy will leave with her father the provisioner, who will give you 4 rations as a reward. Then go a bit south to the Grange, Freddi will leave but his dad will give you a pony.

1/2

>> No.4309613

>>4309181
Step 5. Go east over the bridge and then follow the road south. A Nazgul will show up, but Gildor will drive it away and teach you the Elbereth word of power. SAVE. You now have a serious choice about how badly you want to cheese the game. To the west is Hawkeye and his cave. What's 'supposed" to happen is that you pick up Hawkeye, he leads you to his cave, gets ambushed by Nazgul, and he holds them off so you can live. If you want to be cheap....

Step 6a. Go west, find the cave, climb in, loot it (you especially need the Blade part, everything else is nice but not essential) then go west and fiddle around until you get a post about a sensation of bieng watched. Head back and forth until you get Hawkeye's appearance, and IMMEDIATELY run east and north. If you get out of bounds for the region before the Orc spawns, no flight to the cave and no Nazgul, and you get a serious asskicker in your party forever.

6b. As above, except go to the cave with Hawkeye and fight 2 Nazgul. It is theoretically doable, if you Elbereth to force one to flee, Druin and Hawkeye can sometimes beat the other. Very risky however.

6c. As above, but write hawkeye off. Be sure to grab his bow and give it to a hobbit.

Step 7. With or without hawkeye, go kind of southeastish, until you get to Farmer Maggot. Hear his story, run back north to bring the healer to his sick son, and get some mushrooms. To the east of the farm is Merry, recruit him. Use the ferry he's if you need to go back and forth. Nazgul patrol the bridge. There's another tavern in Buckland with a sorceress named Athelwyn. Recruit her, and while it says Druin is leaving your party when he enters, you can just re-recruit him and drag him back out. Go to buckleberry hall, get the forest key (and some other goodies), and enter the Old Forest. You are now out of the Shire![/spoiler]

>> No.4309616

>>4308242
If FIFA Football 2005 is retro then so is that.

>> No.4310102

>>4306312
is that boy related in any way to Maisie Williams?

>> No.4310225

>>4309609
>>4309613
autism speaks.

>> No.4310254

>>4310225
xD

>> No.4310749

>>4306312
The House of the Dead Series

>> No.4310830

Street Combat for the SNES. It's, um.....just play it.

>> No.4310892

>>4306312
Pretty much every FMV or Survival Horror game.

RE1 and 7th Guest have both.

>> No.4311004

That shitty Pacman SNES game, Pacman 2 the new adventures. You just want to see what crazy things happen next, like Pacman getting depressed and jumping off a cliff

>> No.4312000

>>4311004
>shitty
h-hey, I loved that game as a kid.

>> No.4313754

Mario64

>> No.4313980

Jurassic boy on the nes. That Sachen release is a fucking shit show of glitchy programming but I felt as if I had to beat it regardless.

>> No.4314672

>>4306312
I played the 3 Hugo games somebody recommended. They weren't impressive but were oddly enjoyable.
Hugo Frog Hunter, Hugo the Evil Mirror and another one (forgot the name).

>> No.4314721

sonic 3d blast is kind of average but I enjoy it

>> No.4314727

F-15 City War for the NES, it's okay in the sense that it's playable, but it's not much of a game. I still finished it though.

>> No.4314747
File: 5 KB, 320x200, ac1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4306312
Alley Cat. Just replayed it a second ago and damn it is awful.

I played it for the first time when I was like 4 and it was amazing because everything else at my aunt's house was so boring. I never had a copy of it until the internet came around, and I played it and found how awful it was. Then I just replayed it a minute ago and it's still awful.

>> No.4314830

>>4306312
Death Crimson on the Saturn. The less you know before looking it up or playing the better.

>> No.4314881

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6JU4MqiDjQ

>> No.4314937

>>4306609
I'd recommend War in Middle Earth on the Amiga. It's a flawed strategy game designed by the guy behind Lords of Midnight. I couldn't claim it's good, but it's sorta comfy and a Tolkien fan may get some enjoyment out of it

>> No.4315023

>>4306312
Bare Knuckle 3

>> No.4315257

>>4309616
That's not how it works.