[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 23 KB, 1920x1080, img.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4296891 No.4296891 [Reply] [Original]

How come no one talks about how floaty the controls are in this game? I just beat it for the first time, and I have to say Mario sliding around all over the place like he's on ice skates was really annoying. A lot of deaths felt unfair, caused by bad platforming elements, which is really bad for a platformer.

What do you guys think?

>> No.4296896

Yes, I was playing it th other day with my wife's son and he said that it aged badly due to its artificial difficulty. Maybe he had a point.

>> No.4296903

>>4296891
Mario is SUPPOSED to be sliding, mastering that is mastering the game.
That's what platformer means - platformer is a game where movement is the primary challenge and requires skill.
In Assassin's Creed you parkour and jump automatically, in Mario you gotta master the controls and do everything manually.
Momentum in controls is entire point of the game and you gotta get used to it. You just gotta learn how to control Mario properly - you need to predict where your momentum will take you in the future and act accordingly.
If you have trouble, just lay off the run button for a bit, you can clear most jumps without running and it's gonna make Mario easier to control.

There is exactly ONE part in the game I'd call badly designed - the infamous twin pits late in 8-1 which are annoying as fuck, but other than that single jump, game is actually perfectly fair.
Get good.

Shit, what's next? People are gonna complain that Sonic doesn't stop immediately when you let go of pressing right, and he doesn't start at max speed?

>> No.4296904

>>4296896
My nephew complained this one has the worst story of all marios.

>> No.4296906

>>4296891
If you're running in real anime you can't stop nor turn 180 on a dime, unless you're a ninja or kung-fu master. Therefore, in an 8-bit anime that is neither Ninja Gaiden nor Kung-Fu, the character is only a normal man thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Hence, he has expected limitations due to his youth spent on pursuits other than physical training.

>> No.4296910

>>4296903
Modern indieshits no longer do the whole momentum thing so kids aren't used to it. That's why most modern 2D platformers just feel wrong.

>> No.4296939

>>4296910
VVVVVV does it. So does Freedom Planet (I mean, obviously, it's a Sonic fangame).

The thing is most modern indie platformers copy Super Meat Boy, and as such are what's called 'precision platformer', based around extremely precise and accurate controls and they kill you when you make a slightest mistake, so it'd feel unfair if you also had to tackle momentum on top of that.

>> No.4296941

>>4296891
I agree, it's really apparent when you return from playing SMW. It's still totally playable though, you just need to git gud.

>> No.4296970

>>4296941
this is the main thing I think

>> No.4296972
File: 459 KB, 384x288, let that devil cry.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Mario Bros 1 is too hard!

>> No.4296976

>>4296891
SMB has some of the tightest controls in any platform game ever. you're a gigantic faggot.

>> No.4296981

>>4296903
>Mario is SUPPOSED to be sliding, mastering that is mastering the game.
>That's what platformer means - platformer is a game where movement is the primary challenge and requires skill.

I have to say that is spot on

>> No.4297178

>>4296891
It's annoying but easy enough to get used to. The game would probably be far to easy without it.

>>4296903
>sliding=platformer
I'm sure in your made up baby language it does.

>> No.4297183

>>4296896
>with my wife's son
I saw what you did there

>> No.4297575

>>4297178
>>sliding=platformer
>I'm sure in your made up baby language it does.
Nice strawman, fuck off. I'm saying that platformer = game about skillful movement.

This can INCLUDE anything from your movement having momentum like Mario, having to build up and maintain speed like Sonic, or to avoid spikes and bullets like Megaman, or acquiring and using new movement abilities like Grapple Beam and Morph Ball like Metroid.

Whatever it is - difficulty comes from having to learn how exactly character moves.

>> No.4297971

>>4296903
>>>4296891 (OP)
>That's what platformer means - platformer is a game where movement is the primary challenge and requires skill.
>In Assassin's Creed you parkour and jump automatically, in Mario you gotta master the controls and do everything manually.
>Momentum in controls is entire point of the game and you gotta get used to it. You just gotta learn how to control Mario properly - you need to predict where your momentum will take you in the future and act accordingly.
>If you have trouble, just lay off the run button for a bit, you can clear most jumps without running and it's gonna make Mario easier to control.
>There is exactly ONE part in the game I'd call badly designed - the infamous twin pits late in 8-1 which are annoying as fuck, but other than that single jump, game is actually perfectly fair.
>Get good.
>Shit, what's next? People are gonna complain that Sonic doesn't stop immediately when you let go of pressing right, and he doesn't start at max speed?
The hell are you talking about ?

>> No.4298001

>>4296903
yeah going fast in this game would be lame af without the sliding momentum controls

>>4297971
right back at ya

>> No.4298008

>>4297575
>That's what platformer means
>kidsexplaining
lol

>> No.4298012

>>4296891
you played with input delay like the huge faggot you are

>> No.4298070

Sounds like something was wrong with his controller.

>> No.4298116

>>4298008
its a well designed game and it's the way it is for a reason

wtf are you even babbling about

>> No.4298236

>>4296903
I disagree with your interpretation of what a platformer is
It's not the movement, it's the level and actual platform design.
Movement should be simple, intuitive, fluid, and should complement the platforming, not impede on it. Mario 1-3 still fit into this category. Something like Super Meat Boy does not

Also, OP is a faggot if he thinks that is sliding. SMB barely even counts as sliding. World is a way worse offender.