[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 252 KB, 511x428, 1361212333588.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
428770 No.428770 [Reply] [Original]

>replay a game that you loved
>it really was nostalgia all along

What was her name?

>> No.428774

every Donkey Kong Country

>> No.428776

Star Ocean 2 that game was fucking repetitive and easy and the story was gay as shit

i cant believe i used to find that godawful voice acting endearing, much less not get a headache from it

>> No.428783

Super Mario Land 2

Used to love it as a kid.

Replayed it and discovered how shallow it was.

>> No.428791

Zelda 2 the game is so frustrating i dont remember it like that when i was younger.

>> No.428793

Every N64 game except Mischief Makers, holy shit

>> No.428792

>>428776

I have less problems with the terrible sprites and voice acting than with the boring ass combat.

>> No.428814

Bomberman fantasy race

controls can be confusing and shit when i played it now.

>> No.428820

Megaman X6

Holy SHIT I thought it wasn't that bad before I replayed it.

>> No.428821

Age of Empires 1

>> No.428823

The first Tomb Raider games. Holy shit, the controls were so bad.

>> No.428830

>>428770

Goldeneye. The N64 controller doesn't really help with it, either.

>> No.428835

Mortal Kombat II

Holy shit, this clusterfuck of unplayability.

>> No.428838

>>428770
afraid to play some games because of this. I always said my two favorite games of all time were Xenogears and Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate still holds up extremely well. I never got into the story the first time, but playing it again, it's still window dressing compared to the fantastic one-off encounters and engaging combat. But compared to Icewind Dale 2's 3E ruleset, it's not really flexible once you pick a class.

However, with Xenogears, all I remember was the engrossing story. I don't remember too much aside from some of the major twists, but looking back, it sounds incredibly pretentious and overwrought. I still haven't replayed it in >10 years now, so I'mt not sure how I'll feel when that time comes

>> No.428839

>>428774
Wow, you're pretty alone with that opinion. I just played through 1 and 2 recently and they hold up wonderfully. 3 was always shit.

Maybe you played on an LCD without good filters. That is something that really ruins the look of them as those games heavily rely on the visual distortion created by CRT monitors.

>> No.428841

>>428793
How could you not have seen back then? Even when it was brand new the N64 games looked and played like ass to me because of the horrible controller and the smudged textures. Just a terrible console all around.

>> No.428846

>>428770
Pandemonium. I remember the graphics be ridiculous at the time

>> No.428849

>>428830
It's no question that GoldenEye aged like ass, but back then it really was awesome.

>> No.428853

>>428830
>>428830
>>428830
>>428830
I used to think it was the best game ever... In hindsight I honestly can't believe I used to spend hours a day playing that game.

Otherwise, there's Resident Evil games with the static camera... The controls are so painful.

>> No.428856

Dragon Warrior I

Jesus.

>> No.428861

>>428853
I still find these fun to play. The extra difficulty helps a lot, as well as the atmosphere for REmake, RE2, and RE3. They still have that sense of dread nailed down

>> No.428864

>>428853
I never had problems with the mythical "tank controls" and still don't.

>> No.428869

>>428835
I'd like to extend that to Mortal Kombat in general. They just weren't that great compared to Street Fighter 2's many iterations released around the same time.

I think they got a free ride because 2D fighters were pretty much king of the arcade in the west and because blood and gore = cool.

>> No.428875

>>428861
>>428864
I agree, tank controls never bothered me much. They're part of the charm of early 3D games in my eyes.

>> No.428882
File: 24 KB, 468x370, mm2-mm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>trade controllers with a white hair girl playing Megaman 2 in kindergarten on every death
>still love her
>never told any girlfriend about this
>even current blonde girlfriend who plays classics with me
>loves Megaman 2 and says it's the first game she ever played

I.....I don't know what to do.

>> No.428887

>tfw play favorite games from childhood and they aren't just nostalgia

Good feels, all around.

>> No.428893

Pokemon Red/Blue

Now, that's not to say they're bad games, they aren't, they just aren't anywhere near as good as I remember them.

>> No.428895

>>428783

Land 1 I'd understand, but gosh not Land 2

>> No.428897

>>428792
>Boring ass combat
Are you playing on easy mode? That shit gets intense on galaxy and universe.

>> No.428905

Dune 2.

Frankly, it had lost its luster even by the time Dune 2000 came out.

>> No.428906

Tyrian.
In retrospect, the game has next to no difficulty and without challenge it isn't very enjoyable.

>> No.428909

>>428882
>I.....I don't know what to do.
I have a suggestion, blog somewhere else

>> No.428910

>>428893
They haven't aged very well either.

>> No.428914

>>428897

I wouldnt call spamming the same skill over and over "intense".

>> No.428918

>>428909

My bad, I'll go back to posting legitimately.

Or go to /adv/ where this crap is acceptable.

>> No.428921

>>428830
My buds and I would play death match in med school and we turned it into a drinking game. I think the game came out in 97? So we did this 13 years after it came out. It was a tonne of fun and we still get together when we're free to keep the tradition alive. I respect your opinion brother, but god damn do I/we still love the multiplayer haha.

>> No.428926

Mortal Kombat.

Turns out, we did only like it for the gore.

>> No.428929

Forgotten Worlds
Stargate
Spiderman and X-men: Arcade's Revenge
Brutal, Paws of Fury
Chester Cheetah Nah, I'm just fucking with you, it's still the shit
Heavy Nova
The Page Master
Robocop vs Terminator
Warlock
Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate 3

>> No.428931

Shadows of the Empire land combat. The air and space parts were still good.

>> No.428932

>>428793
>>428841
The controller didn't get in the way of the games (merely limited the controls), and the graphics weren't abhorrent for most games. At least it was better than the PS1, but even though that generation had the worst graphics in general, it didn't get in the way of gameplay.

That and there are a decent number of 11/10 games for the system, so I like it.

>> No.428937

>>428921
No shit, you're playing it with friends. Me and my mates get together and play the worst games and still have as much fun as with with playing good ones. Any game is fun with somebody else. Any.

I always operate under the assumption that these threads are talking exclusively about playing games alone. There's no point to them otherwise.

You wouldn't play Goldeneye by yourself.

>> No.428947

>>428932
>At least it was better than the PS1
It really wasn't though unless you are talking about the early PSX games. N64 had way worse grafix than the PSX unless you hate all forms of pixelation and actually like the smudge. That's just having bad taste though.

Also that controller was horrible to hold and to use. N64, not even once.

>> No.428968

>>428947
The N64 controller isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone likes to say it is.

Except the analog stick.

>> No.428963

>>428776
How dare you!

I kid, I agree that the story was really bad but I loved the combat system, even if it was either easy or hard the combat system was really unique for me.
In other words, I am glad that I have found Tales of Innocence for the DS

>> No.428970

>>428947
I didn't mind the smudge or the pixelation, but I found that I preferred graphics on the N64 overall.

The controller also was nice to hold if you hold it right. It has the retarded left 3-prong, but you just ignore it and only grab the middle and right. Then it wasn't horrible to use or hold, just it left L and the D-pad out of use.

>> No.428971

>>428770
shining force 2
it ain't aged well

>> No.428974

>>428774

i have to somewhat agree with this, i still love the games, but they feel so short/easy when i go back and play them. super mario held up way better in my opinion.

>> No.428981

>>428770
Megaman Legends

I just can't deal with the controls

>> No.428983
File: 48 KB, 500x461, ThatFeelWhenNoAnniversary.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first Metroid. I think it's just because we might be too used to having maps in the games since Super, but it's still annoying to play.

While not a 1999 or older game, I tried out SW Republic Commando again and it wasn't that fun as it was back in the day.

>> No.428991

>>428932
>At least it was better than the PS1
No. This is probably the most delusional opinion you can have. Never mind the SuperFami vs Mega Drive war, as they are on equal footing, but the N64 is in the running for the worst home console, if we are to start looking from the third generation onward. Not only was the majority of games running at sub 20 frame per second, but the library was extremely small with almost non-existent third-party support. You can't possibly believe that the N64 library came even close to the PS1's. The Saturn outclassed it as well.

Stupid overhyped shit. The console would have failed if not for the brand. Nintendo always gets a free pass because they revived the industry in the west. I'm fine with giving them credit where it's due (Famicom, Super Famicom), but their home consoles have been absolute garbage, starting from the N64.

>> No.428989 [DELETED] 

>>428774
The Wii one was pretty good.

>> No.429004

>>428893

they are pretty rough, easily some of the most repetetive/shallow games ever made.

inb4 butthurt pokemon-obsessed manchildren flip their shit

>> No.429008

>>428991
I'm talking about the overall graphics.

Though my favourite titles of that generation are on the N64, so my opinion of it roughly goes towards there.

I'll leave your comment about the GCN out because it's not retro.

>> No.429010

>>428926
This, so much. MK is the kind of game that looks FUCKING AWESOME when you're 8 or 9 but is really just shit.

>That fucker who plays Liu Kang and always spams the bicycle and flying kicks
huehuehuehue

>> No.429020

I haven't experienced any of this, every game I've replayed years later I've even liked and understood way better than I did as a kid.

Even when I play games I had not the chance to play then, I'm liking them a lot.

>> No.429017 [DELETED] 

>>428937
Go back to /v/

>> No.429019

>>428991

>implying saturn's "library" wasn't full of complete garbage that even my 12-year-old-self could understand how utter shit it was

>implying n64 wasn't the king of multiplayer titles

>> No.429021

>>428991
>The Saturn outclassed it as well.
In Japan, maybe, but the Saturn's lineup was seriously gimped in the west by that fuckwad Bernie.

N64 had the "wow" factor because it was throwing around accurate, filtered 3D rasterization before most people had even seen a Voodoo.

>> No.429024

I had pretty good tastes in games as a kid, so this rarely happens. The kind of shit I fucked with as as kid was Heroes of Might and Magic, Betrayal at Krondor, DOOM, Jedi Knight, etc.

>> No.429034
File: 194 KB, 300x296, CrashBashCover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429019
But the N64 didn't have Crash Bash, which invalidates your point.

>> No.429036

>>429021
>In Japan, maybe
I'm not some faggot who leaves out the JP-only titles.

Yep, that's what fascination with technology does. Developers forget about making a game and chase after technical achievements. See modern AAA games for reference.

>>429019
Yep, you're still just running around in circles because you can't into JP-only games.

And no, Goldeneye doesn't mean the N64 was superior for multiplayer. The only annoying thing about the PS1 was needing a multitap.

>> No.429038

>>429020
>>429024
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

>> No.429040

>>429024
>Jedi Knight
There's no way they actually LOST THE FUCKING SOURCE CODE for that. They're bullshitting us. We've got JK2 now, at least.

>> No.429048
File: 49 KB, 550x266, standing-ovation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428991
I'm not American but I started clapping involuntarily after reading that post. Bravo! Well done, you.

>> No.429058

>>429038
I guess we are the only ones who really like and enjoy video-games.

>> No.429060

>>429034

His point is wrong, correct.

However, my childhood was ripe with fine games from both consoles.

Ape Escape on the PS1, Diddy Kong Racing on the 64.

We will not have a console war thread here. This place will not have it and you will be chased out of here for trying to attempt it.

>> No.429063 [DELETED] 

>>429017
Cancer killing /vr/. Even worse than nostalgiafags. The last thing we need on this board are people that are afraid to say something negative about a game.

But let me guess, your comeback will be reinforcing that you either love blindly (/vr/) or hate blindly (/v/). There are many viewpoints in between. It's also up to the OP. Some discussions will naturally gravitate to arguments because of their nature. Here, for instance, the thread is inviting to make nostalgiafags angry non-directly.

>> No.429064
File: 25 KB, 443x443, die_by_the_sword.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Die By The Sword.
Never got to finish it either.

>> No.429068 [DELETED] 

>>429036
>Goldeneye doesn't mean the N64 was superior for multiplayer.
Not him but I seriously don't see the argument that PS1 was better for multiplayer than N64.
PS1 had very few great MP titles, mostly from naughty dog, and a lot of fighters and racers with so-so MP.
N64 had tons of MP stuff of what i'd consider above average quality.
Whereas I only recall Crash Bash as having been great fun in MP on PS1, with a lot of weird stuff we tried like Blaze and Blade.
Most of my fondest memories of N64 is of MP games whereas PS1 it's single player ones and I played a shitton of both when they were around.

>> No.429075

>>429068
N64 was seriously lacking good fighting games though.

>> No.429081

>>429036
>Goldeneye doesn't mean the N64 was superior for multiplayer.
Not him but I seriously don't see the argument that PS1 was better for multiplayer than N64.
N64 had tons of MP stuff of what i'd consider above average quality.
Whereas I only recall Crash Bash as having been great fun in MP on PS1, with a lot of weird stuff we tried like Blaze and Blade.

Most of my fondest memories of N64 is of MP games whereas PS1 it's single player ones and I played a shitton of both when they were around.
Also seriously, console wars in this day and age? We didn't bother with that back then. You played what you and your friends had and you were fucking happy with it.

>> No.429083

>>429068

They were equally good in their own right, but two controller ports cannot beat two.

The PS1 needed an attachment to do better, this is without debate and many could not afford it. Keep this in mind.

>> No.429084

>>428991
Correct. I love Nintendo and its franchises but the amount of N64 apologists that are around is just astounding. People really need to come to grips with reality and realize that the N64 was a piece of shit. This delusion has gone on too long.

I'm sorry you didn't own a Playstation and bought a N64 out of misguided brand loyalty but that console was always shit and making excuses won't help anybody.

>> No.429091

>>429068
The fact that it had all the fighting games already destroys the N64. And then there is the plethora of less hardcore games such as Twisted Metal, CTR, Rakugaki Showtime, etc.

>> No.429092

>>429075
Yes, barring unconventional ones like Super Smash Bros..
Strangely most of us didn't bother with the MP in those for some reason. We had a shitton of fun with Tekken's singleplayer though.
>muh Gon

>> No.429101

>>429075
>>429083
Sorry 'bout the delete, I noticed I hadn't removed one of the lines.

Anyway, just saying we had both when I was younger and PS1 definitely wasn't our go-to for Multiplayer stuff despite having a multitap and having tried it a couple of times.

>> No.429104

>>429068
>he never played Tekken 3 with a bunch of friends

Man, that game was so amazing and you had to get good because the rule was, only the loser has to pass the controller unless you win ten times in a row. Good times.

Besides, I never saw the appeal of 4 player games. split screen meant you had to make due with a tiny piece of screen that looked like complete ass. I never even liked 2 player split screen for the same reason.

>> No.429109

>>429083
>many could not afford it

WHAT? The multi tap wasn't expensive, what are you talking bout?

>> No.429119

>>429092
>didn't multiplayer Tekken

Why the fuck not? You missed out so hard. Playing Tekken 3 with friends is some of the best vidya memories of my teenage years. We had so much fun with that game and the great characters and different move sets.

>> No.429124

Both Sonic Adventure games. The only redeemable things about those 2 games are their music.

>> No.429131

>>429119
I think we did it a bit back then come to think of it (I remember raging at someone being a cheap fuck with Eddy and then doing the same with panda girl) but it wasn't something we actually did all that much.
We weren't huge on fighters in general though so that was probably it.

>> No.429172

>>428839
He's alone in that opinion because you like them? Don't speak on the rest of the boards behalf you puffed up cunt. I for one thought they were shit.

>> No.429167

I'm playing through all the recommended ps1 classics and you're fucking delusional if you think they hold up, or maybe you're just a sucker for jrpgs and lacklustre platformers. if 10-year old me could recognize the qualitative difference between stuff like crash and mario 64 then you should be able to as well
the only game I've even remotely enjoyed so far was abe's oddyssey but that's it
meanwhile I have enjoyed n64 games I never played before, stuff like perfect dark, mystical ninja, majora's mask and paper mario

as for op's topic, any jrpg basically. they're a chore to play through and my enjoyment must have had something to do with me being young, a lot of time to spare and an inability to recognize the mindless repetition. also they were better when I only understood 5% of the text

>> No.429182

>>429131
I was blessed with a circle of friends that took their Tekken playing serious. All of them knew almost all of the moves of the characters they mained and nobody took Eddy unless it was for shits and giggles to troll somebody.

I tried to play Tekken with somebody not in my clique once and I beat him a few times in a row, in a really dominant and non fun way, just crushed him. There was an awkward silence and then we played something else.

Tekken is one of those games you have to be pretty good at to really have fun with it. It's not very accessible at all. At least not instantly because you gotta learn the moves and there's a lot of them. But that's what I love so much about the game, so many moves.

>> No.429187

>>429182
I'm envious. Playing fighting games without knowing what you're doing feels extremely terrible and it's not fun at all.

>> No.429193

>>429034

that game rocked, but cmon, whenever someone reminisces about multiplayer experiences from that gen, its n64 90% of the time (mario kart, mario party, diddy kong racing, golden eye, perfect dark, etc)

>>429036

i wasnt referring specifically to goldeneye. no one had a fucking multitap, lets be real. and besides crash bash, what else really was there? twisted metal? lol.

i loved PS1 but not for multiplayer.

>> No.429195

She dosn't exist since i enjoy videogames!

>> No.429213

>>428770
Shadow of the Beast.

>> No.429217

>>428823
The PS2 remake isn't much better. I simply cannot work the controls at all.

Yes, the controls are WORSE than the original.

>> No.429219

>>429167
FF IX, Xenogears, Grandia and Chrono Cross are a chore to play? What?

>> No.429220

>>429193
>no one had a fucking multitap
Your friends were shit, apparently. Everyone had a multitap where I lived.

By the time the next gen rolled around, we were playing 8-player LAN games. Shame nothing on PS1 supported the link cable like that.

>> No.429221

>>429172
No, he's pretty alone because I rarely see that opinion on this board. At least a lot less than the extreme opposite, from old time fans as well as from people who never played it before and who report how impressed they are by the impressive graphics and fluid gameplay still in this day and age.

The people hating on DKC also often turn out to be either die hard SEGA fans or butt blasted Mario fanboys who are mad at DKC stealing SMWs and YIs thunder.

The DKC games have withstood the test of time brilliantly.

>> No.429225

>>429221
I love DKC as a kid, and it's still a game I think is good, but you're delusional if you think their graphics "withstood the test of time."

>> No.429229

>>429213
>Shadow of the Beast.
Good graphics and atmosphere at the time.
Shit everything else.

>> No.429237

>>429225
They totally did. If anything is delusional it's your post.

>> No.429242

Ninja Gaiden (NES). Best NES game imo.

>> No.429247

The first two Duke Nukems were just shitty Commander Keen ripoffs.

>> No.429251

>>429219

out of those I've only played FF IX and it was a bore. 10 hours in and I hadn't died once and I had done nothing but spamming the attack button and using potions. no challenge, no finesse, no nothing. not to mention the worthless narrative and writing. I've played chrono trigger and I have no interest in playing cross. watching screens from grandia and xenogears fills me with dread and seeing that you mention them in the same breath as FF IX makes me doubt I'll be playing them anytime soon

>> No.429257

>>429251
Damn, you got me. 7/10.

>> No.429258
File: 8 KB, 98x113, c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>installed with nostalgia boner
>played for 30 minutes
>never touch it again

it's been a few months, should i give it another try?

>> No.429253

>>429247
Commander Keen wasn't that special either.

>> No.429260

>>429242
I don't think you read the OP correctly.

>> No.429261

>>429257

okay

>> No.429273

>>429258
I tried that game after having seen some gameplay videos. It was horrible to play but I think if you force yourself to get comfortable with those horrible controls, you can enjoy it.

It's like Flashback in that regard.

It's funny how something can look so alluring when you watch someone play it yet so repulsive when you get to play it yourself.

>> No.429282

>>429253
Yes! Thank you!

>> No.429293

>>429282
I played it for the first time some time ago and I really think CK is mostly about nostalgia.

>> No.429309

>>429293
It's about technical achievement, too. It did something that wasn't previously thought possible on the hardware. "Scrolling" isn't the hottest selling point these days, though.

>> No.429329
File: 121 KB, 1024x768, american_mcgees_alice_007[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.429338

>>429309
I guess that's it.
I mean i'm not the kind of guy who pre-judges older games but CK really didn't do much for me so I was kind of surprised at the amount of people praising it. (not on here though)

>> No.429343

>>429084
Maybe for you but Id rather have a few epic titles than a large library of games that dont appeal to me. Just SM64, DKR, F Zero X, SSB and OoT make it worth having. Id take those games over the whole PS1 library any day.

You people need to stop talking like there is a best console because there isnt it depends on your personal taste.

>> No.429345

Goldeneye, naturally.

>> No.429370

>>428906
Have you played Tyrian 2000?

>> No.429424

>>429343
>SM64
Spyro

>DKR
Twisted Metal, Destruction Derby

>F Zero X
Wipeout, 2097, 3

>SSB
Tekken 2-3, Bloody Roar 2, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Blade, Battle Arena Toshinden, Tobal No

>OoT
Legend of Mana, FFVII, Suikoden II, etc...

>> No.429430

>>429424
Also Crash is a good SM64 replacement too.

>> No.429439

>>429430
>>429424
holy shit he's talking about his personal taste in games and why he enjoy the N64 library. Stop with your console war bullshit. This is why the PS1 and N64 was originally banned on /vr/. Sonyfriends and Nintendudes bring their shitflinging to /vr/.

>> No.429442
File: 610 KB, 539x640, gex etg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This

My god this game was shit. Don't know how me and my cousin liked it so much. Played the PS1 version since my cousin owned it and I got my PS1 dosage from him since I only had a N64.

>> No.429450

>>429442
It had movie references back when that kind of thing used to be funny. Conker is another great example of this.

>> No.429456

>>429439

It's not much better with SNES vs Gen/MD discussion. All you hear is how Sega has nothing but boring arcade ports but Genesis does what Nintendon't. Fact of the matter is all these consoles are dead and irrelevant and all are easily attainable. I don't see what there is to argue about.

>> No.429457

>>429450

At least Conker was actually a good game and still holds up very well.

>> No.429459

>>429439
Blah, as if the same isn't happening with Genesis and SNES.

Besides, it isn't that simple, I'll defend the SNES to the death but take every chance to shit on the N64.

>> No.429465

>>429442
Thank god Gex 1 was good.

>> No.429470

>>429459
>>429456

>But the other boys are doing it

Stop that

>> No.429474
File: 492 KB, 490x210, shut up.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw console wars

>> No.429483

>>429474

I know that feel. I just don't get how people do this when they are older already.

>> No.429490

>>429483
I know, the only reason they exist between kids is because most kids only get 1 console.

>> No.429492

>>429483
Narrow-minded people with opinions will be narrow-minded people with opinions.

>> No.429493

>>429470

Huh? I (>>429456) wasn't saying it was OK to argue about N64 vs PSX because people do it with other video game gens. My point was that it doesn't matter how far back you go, people will argue because some people are just belligerent little shits that are vehement about the dumbest things.

>> No.429498
File: 86 KB, 640x486, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428835
My problem with MK 2 is its brutal ass difficulty. I end up loving UMK 3 more than it.

Also, Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It was so tacked on and tedious that I found that I liked Sonic & Knuckles alone and Sonic 2 more

And Mario Bros 2 USA

>> No.429503
File: 249 KB, 950x950, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related. It's all so empty, and it feels so slow.

>> No.429505

>>429493
I imagine it would be hard to find people who would argue about the ChannelF and Odyssey2

>> No.429518

>>429505

Maybe, but anything post-1980 seems to have people champing at the bit to fight about it.

>> No.429513

>>429084
I still play my N64 regularly and find myself enjoying it's quality titles that I've never played before more than the popular PS1 titles that I've never played before.

Sure, the PS1 has a lot more of em, but I just find myself enjoying most of the best of what the N64 has to offer more than the PS1. That's really all there is to it. Sorry.

That said, I wish you guys would stop being so harsh towards N64 players. If you really don't care for the system, that's fine. But holy shit don't tell me what to like and not like. There's no "reality" when it comes to personal taste, despite what the /v/ mentality might tell you, and both game libraries are both hundreds upon hundreds of games in size, making the comparison extremely difficult and subjective unless you've somehow played every single one.

>> No.429519

>>429513
Why don't you play a good Nintendo console instead like Gamecube? I just don't get it.

>> No.429524

>>429519

A Gamecube doesn't play N64 games.

>> No.429525

>>429519
What? Who says I don't?

>> No.429538

Goldeneye 64!

>> No.429545

Super Mario World

>> No.429548
File: 487 KB, 275x155, 328754254.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't think I have ever had this really, System Shock 2 I recently replayed and loved it, Fallout 2 just got of GOG again feels great, Half Life games I could play all the time. I guess the closest to this is Tomb Raider 2 where venice was just not the same and I stopped playing.

>> No.429558
File: 45 KB, 400x300, ^^.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't think this ever happened to me, really. All of the games i loved as a child held up when i replayed them recently; Spyro 3, Mega Man 8/X5, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VIII, etc. The games i don't like i still didn't like back when i first played them.

>> No.429561

Delta Force 1.

I had that bad boy running at AT LEAST 15 frames per second at 320x240 resolution on my old 166MMX. Pair that with a dodgy ball mouse and you have one of the hardest shooters ever made.

Tried it again recently and it's not the same. It's just stupid easy. I think I only ever liked it because it had an awesome sniper simulation, which amounted to a bullet drop gimmick.

>> No.429572

This has never happened to me. Sometimes a game won't look as good as I remember but that doesn't bother me greatly. Other than that games are always as good as I remember them being.

>> No.429576

>>428991
Aside from RPGs, N64 had the best games of that generation, though.

>> No.429579

>>429576
Bitch, please.

>> No.429581

>>429579

I would say he is about right.

>> No.429589
File: 2.00 MB, 260x195, 7qNTrHN.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429576

>> No.429585
File: 862 KB, 300x192, 1361139328361.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429576
>>429579

Oh fuck me...

>> No.429595

>>428839
> 3 was always shit.

well fuck you buddy.

>> No.429608
File: 77 KB, 256x186, Chrono_Trigger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

still alright, but not as good as I remember. probably had more to do with the time in my life.

>> No.429618

>>429595

Second. Why is it whenever a game comes out in a series and it isn't as good as the rest it gets demoted all the way down to "shit"? DKC3 was not "shit", it was just worse than 1 and 2.

>> No.429619

>>428947
>pioneering the analog stick
>bad

Kill yourself

>> No.429634

>>429034
>liking Crap Bandicoot

>> No.429635

>>429618
I thought it was better in a lot of ways.

>> No.429645
File: 404 KB, 1024x551, Acetronic-MPU-1000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429619
>>pioneering the analog stick

But it didn't. Your move, creep.

>> No.429651

>>429424

spyro sucked--empty world and just plain boring platformer, twisted metal/destruction derby were NOTHING like diddy kong racing and were generally not very good either way.

PS1 definitely had better fighting games/RPGs though....but this is where the 2 system's libraries really catered to different crowds.

>> No.429664

This is literally the 8th day I've woken up to an n64/PSX flamewar. /vr/ used to be the land of brotherly love... I'm pretty sure it's being invaded by /v/ cunts who can't respect someone else's opinion.

I like the n64 for what it is, and whatever you asshats say isn't going to change that.

Everyone has a favorite game and a favorite console, so quit it with "well the n64 had a miniscule library and all games suck ever lel lyl" and just say "oh yeah, you like StarSoldier? That's cool man, I actually hated that game. What'd you like about it?"

It's a small difference that used to set /vr/ apart from all the other boards.

>> No.429668

>>429635
Well, now it's time to fuck you buddy.

Seriously, that's not cool.

My brother died that way.

>> No.429675

>>429424
What was the name of that 'Realistic' weapon fightan game where you died from one cut to the body? BAT?

>> No.429674 [DELETED] 

>>429664
>/vr/ used to be good
Christ, there's people saying this shit already? It's only been like a week since the board was created.

>> No.429676 [DELETED] 

>>429674
And it's already terrible.

>> No.429682

>>429668
I liked the unusual settings and the ton of secrets. just because the sprites aren't what you want doesn't make it bad.

>> No.429686

>>429674
/vr/ is still good but dude, the first few days on here were really magical.

>>429664
I don't care that people like the N64 but it's when people claim that it's better or has better games than the PSX that I have a problem.

>> No.429695

>>429651
Spyro isn't really comparable to SM64 (you'd better look at Gex 2/3 for that), but even if the first isn't all that jazz, Spyro 2 and 3 are fantastic.

>> No.429696

>>429675
Bushido Blade.

>> No.429726

>>429645

>implying you can use a single thumb for it

>> No.429739

>>429726
>Not having huge hands

>> No.429750 [DELETED] 

>>429664
There's no flamewar. It's just people putting N64 nostalgiafags in place. They don't have a base for argumentation.

>> No.429754

>>429645
Implying that using shitty thing to move a 2d pixel around a screen is at all the same as Mario in full glorious 3D with perfect control

>> No.429763

>>429579
>>429585
>>429589
Fine to disagree, but the PS1 exclusives mostly paled in comparison to the N64 exclusives, RPGs being the only exception. And when it comes to arcade ports, Saturn did those the best by far.

>> No.429771

>>429750
Exept their personal preferences.

Admit it, Sony had second rate games and characters for the most part, and crummy pixelated graphics with horrible load times.

N64 master race.

>> No.429780

>>429750

bitch please, for 3D action games N64 was the shit

>> No.429781

>>429726
>>429754
>adding criteria after the fact

Analog was said; analog was delivered. Doesn't matter anyway because there are a lot more analog sticks between '76 when that thing came out and '96 when the N64 came out.

>> No.429796

>>429686
>it's when people claim that it's better or has better games than the PSX that I have a problem.

It's just different opinions, man. Calm down. There is no right or wrong here.

>>429750
>putting N64 nostalgiafags in place

I grew up with the NES. I didn't own another home console until the PS2. I only played PS1 games on my PS2, or PC emulation years later, and I only played N64 games about 5 years after I bought a PS2 when I picked up an N64 at a flea market.

So no, I don't have some grand nostalgia for N64. I just happened to enjoy the exclusives on offer there over those on the PS1 (again, discounting RPGs).

>> No.429797

>>429763
That's the lies you people tell yourself and everybody stupid enough to listen to you but it's so far from the truth it's fucking comical.

>> No.429801

>>429763
Well, don't mind me disagreeing with you then. As someone that never really cared about Nintendo's main series, the N64 is an absolute barren wasteland, but i can understand how someone can like it. But even absolutely disregarding personal preference, the PSX has at least 4 times as many games that can be considered good. But hey, like whatever you like, mate, not like it affects anyone else.

>>429771
That's just, like, etc.

>> No.429804

>>429781

we should really start calling it thumbsticks to get raging morons like you from showing up with your flawed semantic arguments

>> No.429808

>>428869
Naw, I loved MK1 as a kid, it's the first game I ever beat when I was 4 or 5 years old.

I couldn't ever really get into street fighter or any other fighting game really.

UMK3 was my favorite of all mortal kombat games, though.

>> No.429810

>>429664
>>429750
The n64 is my console, and for the most part (>>429771 excluded) I've learned that fans of the n64 are genuinely level-headed and pleasant.

The place I'm saying I fit is on /vr/, because I take time to think through my posts and I understand that other people have different tastes. The PSX doesn't do it for me- I'm not arguing for the superiority of one or another, that stuff is pure /v/ and whoever takes part is affecting /vr/ negatively.

>> No.429815

>>429804

I wasn't arguing semantics. I stuck to what was said. I'm not the one trying to worm my way through a maze of alternate terms for and criteria of what constitutes an analog stick. He said the N64 pioneered the analog stick; he was wrong. This isn't a point against the N64; it's just wrong.

>> No.429818

>>429801
>but i can understand how someone can like it

Thanks, PSXbro, for reaching across the aisle.

>> No.429824

>>429810
There's no point in fighting an 18 year old console war.I'm a PSX guy myself, but it's not like what console Mike McDude chose in 1996 affects absolutely anything in my vidya life.

>> No.429830

Pokemon

Pretty much all of them, but Red/Blue in particular

>> No.429834

>>429815

Nintendo did pioneer a new type of analog stick that became an industry standard, now fuck off

>> No.429843

>>429808
UMK3 was basically the MK team getting lucky. It's the only one that's even remotely competent as a fighting game.

>> No.429851

>>429830

For some reason, I've always thought Yellow aged even worse than Red/Blue.

Gold/Silver/Crystal are starting to feel kinda old too

>> No.429852 [DELETED] 

>>429796
/v/ for some reason can't respect anyone's intelligence enough to assume they can see through their own nostalgia. It's really not that hard.

But, oh no. If you have a different opinion, it MUST be just because you're nostalgic and too stupid to see past that.

>> No.429848

>>429834

Jesus H. So fucking what? It did not pioneer the analog stick itself though. That was what was said and it was wrong. Do you understand that I'm not saying anything negative about the N64 here?

>> No.429862

>>429848
Did there ever exist any analog control pad before the N64? Honest question, I'm just curious.

As far as I know, it was all digital, even the ones that looked like modern analog sticks.

>> No.429868
File: 28 KB, 256x224, Tecmo_Secret_of_the_Stars_SNES_ScreenShot2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember the game as so amazing and charming, but holy shit was I wrong

>> No.429881 [DELETED] 

>>429848
You are such an autistic faggot it's unbelievable. I think they have a board for that, it's called /v/. Now go die.

>> No.429882

>>428971
I love Shining Force, but it was definitely better the first time around.

>> No.429887
File: 1.26 MB, 1280x960, nostalgiagame.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this game

>> No.429889 [DELETED] 

>>429881
>shitposting this hard

>> No.429910

>>429843
I always felt like UMK3 was as good as it was because that's when the MK team became much more experienced.

If I were to make a game, I'm sure the first two versions would suck, and perhaps on the third after playing the first two I would know how to make it as good as it can be.

>>429862
Maybe nintendo pioneered analog sticks, but they are just shrunken down versions of joysticks, so it's not really the most ingenious thing ever. Also N64's analog sticks sucked terribly, you cannot find one that has remained OK to this day. However, all of sony's analog sticks are pretty much always perfect.

>> No.429912 [DELETED] 

>>429881
>stop being right all the time

>> No.429913 [DELETED] 

>>429881
I teach a few 5th graders, I think you'd fit in really nicely with them.

>> No.429918

>>429862

Yes, there were, including the Atari systems. The Vectrex was, I think, the first to have a self-centering stick, but I may be wrong about that one.

>>429881

Let me get this right: you have no counter arguments, constantly tried to slither your way out of the shitty position you put yourself in by piling more and more criteria on top of the original erroneous statement, and you also use autism as an insult, but *I* should go to /v/? You're a funny guy.

>> No.429923

Pretty much any 8-bit rpg

It's not that they aren't good, it's probably moreso that when you're a kid, it doesn't feel like a waste of time to grind all day for a levelup just so you can go beat one boss or do one element of story progression and then grind for multiple days before progressing the story again

>> No.429926

>>429910
>joysticks
But weren't those digital too?

Although I do think flight sticks and fancy arcade shit like that was analog control, though it was quite a long way from the modern thumbstick.

>> No.429930
File: 369 KB, 1602x778, IMAG0079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429910
>Also N64's analog sticks sucked terribly, you cannot find one that has remained OK to this day.

God bless mods.

>> No.429934

>>429887
why didn't you like it?

>> No.429937

Poy Poy
Star wars jedi power battle
[spoilers]DK64[/spoilers]
fear effect

>> No.429942 [DELETED] 

>>429939
no no not sage noooo

>> No.429939

>>429930
I've been eyeballing those, are they worth it?

>>429887
I've actually seen this a lot in "just not the same" threads. I don't feel it.

>> No.429941

>>429930
Is that a gamecube analog stick soldered onto the n64 controller board?

>> No.429957

>>429939
>I've been eyeballing those, are they worth it?

You bet your bum, mate. That's my controller in pic and I love it. Could never go back now.

>>429941

No, but I think it's safe to bet it was inspired by it. Wish I had a link but I bought it off an Ebay seller a couple of years ago. He was selling them like hotcakes; hundreds of them.

>> No.429984
File: 4 KB, 256x192, rescue.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rescue (1987), ZX Spectrum

This was my favorite Spectrum game as a kid. It's still great by Spectrum standards, but sadly "great by Spectrum standards" = shit.

>> No.429981

>>429910
>Maybe nintendo pioneered analog sticks, but they are just shrunken down versions of joysticks

wait, what?

The two are only similar in the sense that it's a stick. You might as well say that joysticks are nothing more than lightswitches plugged into a video game.

>> No.430034

Every DOS platformer with the exceptions of Jazz Jackrabbit and Guimo (which is heavily influenced by Jazz Jackrabbit).

>> No.430049

>>428991
Don't talk shit about the Gamecube.

>> No.430053

>>428893
Once you're sprinting around Fire Red and Leaf Green it's hard to just crawl everywhere

>> No.430058
File: 36 KB, 348x500, 1326213899590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428774
>mfw the DKC series is my favorite and I replay it every year.

>> No.430061

>>429984
I never got the love the Brits have for the Speccy.
Listening to the Retrogamer magazine and Rob Florence it sounds a lot like nostalgia mixed in with DIY idealism. "Yeah it was utter shit but it was Genuine™ shit."

>> No.430069
File: 202 KB, 267x200, 1362549991925.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429651
>spyro sucked
>spyro
>sucked

>> No.430097

>>429754
>implying a 30fps game can have perfect control

>> No.430130

>>428791

>post something bad about Zelda 2
>a janitor requests you get banned.

Too many people nostalgia over that game.

I got stuck on 1 spot because there was literally 0 direction, not a single townsperson said shit about where to go to be able to cross the river.

No but seriously, how were you expected to to know to walk through every forest tile to find a guy who could give you permission to go across the river? I talked to even the random townspeople in Saria and not a single one told me a hint.

How is that not shit design? I'm not saying you need a fat arrow pointing you everywhere to go, but talking to a townsperson should tell you some guidance on what to do.

IE next town, I talk to someone, he says talk to Error in Ruto to find how to get to the next palace, I go back to Ruto, and find Error's house (and people post that screenshot thinking talking to him is a bug, turns out, his name really was Error), and he says go south of King's tomb. Those are directions I can follow, because King's Tomb MUST be that tombstone all by itself. Those are directions that make sense.

Not giving any directions at all and expecting someone to walk through every tile of the world map to blindly find something that lets them progress is utter shit.

>> No.430145

>>430130
>How is that not shit design?
It's questionable at best, but haven't there been quite a few hidden areas found in forests that you've come across at this point?

If not, that would seem kind of random, but if so it's just another element of exploration and having to 'scout' out the whole map, which was a common trait of early adventure games.
They mostly lacked direction because you were supposed to just explore until you stumbled upon where you were supposed to go next. Not exactly ideal game design, but it certainly is unique to that time period.

>> No.430152

Tenchu 2. The controls are unbearable.

>> No.430157

>tfw this has never happened to me
Feels good having always had good taste in vidya.

>> No.430164

>>430152
I actually find Tenchu 2 pretty good, but 1 is borderline unplayable for me. Actually being stealthy in that game is borderline impossible.

>> No.430179

>>429503
medievil needs a reboot with dark souls style gameplay, it would be my waifu gaym

>> No.430182

>>430164
It is a lot better compared to the first game, but still, the movement is pretty clunky and frustrating.

>> No.430183

>>430157
You may just be good at adjusting to games of a different era... Though, that's also evident of having good taste.

I can't tell you how much shit Goldeneye and other early console shooters get nowadays, but I love the shit out of those kind of games. I didn't even play them as a kid.

>> No.430185

>>430152
tenchu: wrath of heaven, on the other hand, is still fucking great

>> No.430197
File: 722 KB, 1536x1152, Tenchu Wrath of Heaven (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>430185
This nigga knows what's what. Best non-MGS stealth game.

>> No.430202
File: 76 KB, 500x500, SyphonFilter2Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i semi-recently played some multiplayer with my brother, and god is this shit awful

back in the day though, this shit banged

>> No.430208

I tried to play medievil1.
It felt so awkward, I can't even describe it.

>> No.430225

>>430202
I remember playing the demo for the first one. I got a kick out of using the tazer on one single npc until they burst into flame. Was glorious

>> No.430240
File: 225 KB, 517x480, zelda 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>430145

Usually when they want to indicate that there's something important they make that tile look different than all the others around it. That makes sense, it draws your attention to that tile to investigate. Like a single forest tile with no other forest around it, or a forest with a clear tile in the middle, that draws your attention "something is there".

This is the screenshot, can you tell which forest tile the cabin is in?

I'm okay with hidden things that are optional, like 1 up Link dolls or heart containers or magic containers or exp bags being in random squares.. but something necessary just to progress in the game? Get real.

>> No.430268

>>430240
This fucking game.

Is there any way to avoid traversing the entire fucking world every time I get a gameover?

>> No.430362

>>430268

No.

No way to save without getting a game over either that I know of.

>> No.430367

>>430197

>Best non-MGS stealth game

That would have to imply MGS is a good stealth game

>> No.430376

>>430367
why?

>> No.432243
File: 15 KB, 223x226, dk94.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This game. I used to love it as a kid. I tried playing it yesterday, to find out the puzzles get really boring and repetitive fast. It's not bad, just kinda mediocre now that i replayed it after like 15 years.

>> No.432367

>>429503
Wow, this is the shittiest opinion I've ever seen. It's still a great game.

>> No.432386

I'm usually pretty good with determining nostalgia blindness or not.

Ogre Battle 64 KINDA fits it for me. But I think a bigger issue is I just don't have my autism powers that I had back when I was 16. I have a hard time focusing on games like ogre battle these days. I'm getting old.

>> No.432417

Goldeneye - I remember it being so immersive, and the multiplayer so action-packed. I tried to get back into it, but ultimately stopped. I didn't want to destroy my memories of the game.

Tomb Raider - Says it all really. The game has aged awfully in pretty much every aspect.

Majora's Mask - It was a big shock at the time because it was so radically different to Ocarina, but after playing the rest of the series, I find this thing a chore to play through (although multiple characters in a Zelda game is still something I want back). I'm not really a 'sidequest' kind of guy either and I hate Clock Town's layout.

Wario Land - its sequels outdid it, perhaps a little too much. Wario Land 1 is just a basic platformer really, the other 3 are pretty special though.

Streets of Rage/Golden Axe - Both are extremely easy now but the worst thing is, they're SO FUCKING REPETITIVE. Streets of Rage 2 is still fantastic though.

Sonic 1 - Marble Zone could have come out of any 3rd rate platformer. The two games that followed absolutely eclipsed it in every aspect. I just can't enjoy the game anymore. Final boss sucks as well.

>> No.432427

>>432417
>Majora's Mask

Wow. I can't believe how much I dislike you just by you claiming MM hasn't aged well.

>> No.432438

>>432427

i never said it hadn't aged well

>> No.432441

>>428929

Definitely Forgotten Worlds. Me and my brother used to complete it all the time when I was 8-9. Played it recently. I didn't know what the fuck was going on, the controls were terrible, everything looked like ass. Real disappointment.

>> No.432440

>>432427

This thread is for games that you enjoyed as a child but came to realize were never really that good in the first place.

>> No.432450

Mortal Kombat. Good lord that series is unplayable to me now. I guess I didn't really care about good controls back in the day.

>> No.432532

>>429868
My oldest brother got to the very last boss fight in that game, while me and my siblings watched eagerly to see the end of the game.

I don't know if he ever managed it, though.

>> No.432565

>Tfw ape escape never gets old and has aged will for being 14 years old

>> No.432589
File: 58 KB, 600x433, computercat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trickstyle, Sonic Adventure 2, Pokemon snap
Felt bad, really.

>> No.432665

Donkey Kong Country

>> No.432671
File: 991 KB, 2560x1920, IMG_20130412_163232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>429910
>Also N64's analog sticks sucked terribly, you cannot find one that has remained OK to this day.
I found 5 or so without even looking over the course of maybe 6 months. I bought those motherfuckers up, I did.

My friends and I play the fuck out of Dr. Mario 64 and Mario Party 3 with these now. When the stick do die I'll just replace them with the gamecube sticks.

Related to thread, Mega Man Legends. I can't handle the controls anymore. I'm.... sorry...

>> No.432923

The old Mortal Kombat games play like stiff bullshit. Most western fighting games in general.

Old 16 and 32-bit RPGs haven't aged that well in terms of story. They were different at the type, but the story's are incredibly cliched by today's standards (partly because they created those cliches), so if you go into it without the rose-tinted goggles, there's not much there.

>> No.432950

>>428820

Really? This shit gave me mindnumbing rage when it came out. I literally broke a controller over it.

>> No.433241

>>430130

First game is also kind of vague but everything is forgiven as it is nostalgia'd even harder.

Dragon Warrior for me, loved it as a kid, now find it a chore to play, with the world map being so small the game length is increased by grinding sessions.

>> No.433575

>>432417
>I tried to get back into it, but ultimately stopped. I didn't want to destroy my memories of the game.
From someone who got into GE in 2010, it gets so much better as you keep playing it, don't worry.
It's still a solid game, just nigh impossible to get into nowadays is all.

>> No.434387

>>428776
TEEEEAAARRRR INTO PIIIIECES

>> No.434798
File: 9 KB, 204x178, images (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Power Athlete
you can just win arcade mode by baiting them out to jump then se your fullscreen shoryuken
and put them on loop sequence sometimes after hitting them with a fireball

each character has only like 6 moves including normals

>> No.435586

>>430376

By specifying that Tenchu is the best non-MGS stealth game that implies that MGS is the best, which is wrong. That'd be Thief 2.

>inb4 opinions

Yeah, fair enough, but for anyone to claim that any MGS is the best stealth game is kinda silly. They're good games (for the most part) but they're nowhere near the best in their genre.

>> No.435609

>>432417
>Streets of Rage/Golden Axe - Both are extremely easy now

I dunno, man. SoR3 is pretty hard.

>> No.435725
File: 325 KB, 1200x750, the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-shop-details-screenshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ocarina of Time.

... no, I'm really serious. I can't fucking replay that game. I've tried. The beginning is unbearably slow, filled with Navi explaining mechanics I already know and a smattering of unskippable, unspeedable cutscenes. And the terrains are all flat and featureless.
Not to mention that I just know it's going to drag on forever if I try to play through the whole thing, and especially if I try to collect everything. Seven fucking temples.
And that FUCKING OWL.

I loved it at the time and I just can't fucking stand to play it anymore.

Just... just leave me alone. Leave me with my memories.

>> No.435896

Toy Commander on the Dreamcast.

I just couldn't get past those controls.

>> No.435987

>>430240
A purple blob in one of the town's houses tells you it's there.

>> No.436009

>>435987

all it said to me is "ZZZZZZ.."

>> No.436021

I don't know if it's the same thing as what the OP describes but I have a really hard time playing through most old JRPGs, even the ones I used to love. Shit just drags on and on and on.

>> No.436047

>>435725
every zelda has aged poorly imo. WW and MM are still alright though, since they're short. never understand why people want a dozen shoehorned, forgettable dungeons in every zelda.

>> No.436062

>>436047
>every zelda has aged poorly imo.
I recently re-played Link to the Past and greatly enjoyed it.

>> No.436080

>>436062
wonder how LA holds up.

>> No.436094

>>436080

LTTP and LA both aged very gracefully and are enjoyable now. I replay both every couple years or so and find them great.

>> No.436131

>>428893
Ugh, those games felt like shit after playing games like Black and White. I can't believe how much I loved those games. I remember when I was really into Red, and my brother got me Gold. Holy shit, what a massive improvement. Imo at least.

>> No.436140
File: 47 KB, 495x343, Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest_Box_Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Final fantasy Mystic Quest
I liked it as a kid, but i played it recently and it's shit. It's not even that it aged poorly, it's just that it is and always has been a bad game.

>> No.436159

Donkey Kong 64. played the shit out of that game as a kid without really beating it. now it's just backtracking general. shame.

>> No.436184

I honestly can't think of a single game.

Maybe Glover? ... No wait, I always hated that.

>> No.436413

>>429608
It's a tragedy too. The game had such a strong start, then dragged out far too long

Terranigma too, unfortunately. I guess not being unwillingly bored(like a 14yo living in the middle of nowhere) has robbed me of the focus necessary for those types of games.

>> No.436449

killer instinct

>> No.436470
File: 204 KB, 683x797, 1360815422710.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>436413
I hear ya. boring getting older.

>> No.436943

>>436184
Glover is mine, no doubt.

I could never get past the second level or something as a kid, but I kept trying with a smile on my face.

>> No.436973

>>428783

But I'm enjoying it now. I never beat a Mario game. I was excited to beat this. Now I'm not. Fuck this. I love games, but I usually suck at them.

>> No.437013

>>430130
>A janitor requests you get banned for an unpopular opinion
The fuck?
It's totally cool to have distaste for a game you don't like.

>> No.437019

Pokemon Red (and Blue I guess).

I replayed it in college to try and fulfill that "Childhood dream" of catching them all. Played and replayed the game over and over again as a kid, so one more time shouldn't be too bad right? Even if the game has aged poorly, right?

I had no idea what I was in store for.

>> No.437025
File: 325 KB, 577x558, 1363485884643.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Secret Of Mana

>> No.437041

>>430130
I played beat zelda 2 when I was 19 and hated it as a child its one of my favorite games now. So fuck you nigger

>> No.437043

>>430130
His name is actually Errol.
As in Flynt.

>> No.437048

Bubble Bobble

Shit just gets tedious

>> No.437084
File: 146 KB, 1280x800, Screenshot_2013-02-12-17-51-36.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>437025
I replayed it recently and still found it very fun. I realized how broken magic is though. But I wanted to do a complete play through - lv 99, max magic, everyone max weps, Mana sword glitch, all orbs. Was still fun as hell.

>> No.437091

>>436140
I think its pretty fun, its really mind numbingly easy but its got awesome music and does well enough to pass time. That is about all it is good for though

>> No.439469

>>437013

I'm serious, I posted a thread about that area of Zelda 2 and not liking it and then I got notified that I couldn't post for 15 minutes while a mod reviewed the janitor's ban request and my thread got deleted.

>> No.439491
File: 382 KB, 1276x946, mario kart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.439502
File: 49 KB, 500x461, sdasdasdasdasd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super Mario 64

>> No.439509
File: 97 KB, 559x768, Rampage_(NES).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this fucker right here, became so fucking boring after about 5 minutes...

the n64 version is still a good game and blows this fucker out of the water completely...

>> No.439539

>>437041

I beat it yesterday so niggers could stop saying "oh is it 2 hard 4 u babby?" as to why I didn't like it. I beat it and I still think it's a steaming pile of shit compared to all the other zelda games. The hidden town in the forest was another sticking point, yeah there were 3 forests I had to go every single tile to look through, nothing turned up, I used the flute, and then figured out I could clear trees with the hammer and had to go through all 3 forests "east" of the ghost town again to find the town. They should have made that 1 tile look slightly different from the others so that you knew to look there, but no that'd make sense.

Puzzles and hints should be based on attention to detail, not randomly checking every single tile. Not to mention there's more bullshit annoying random encounters than any final fantasy game. I ended up having "A" lives because of experience points after I maxed out my stats. Only completely wiped once, in the beginning while I was still getting used to the combat.

It's not that it's hard that makes it not fun, it's that it's OVERLY vague in some instances and grinding doesn't fit into a Zelda game. The palaces are also all disappointing because it's nothing but combat really, there's no traps, no puzzles. Occasionally a hidden potion in a wall, that's all the secrets too.

>> No.439572

>>437084

I bought SoM on the virtual console and played it with a couple buddies, (one of them the same one that I originally played through it with), it's still a lot of fun.

I think a lot of SNES games aged well, they'd pretty much mastered sprite based 2D gameplay by the end of the NES cycle and SNES cycle. Games made 1990 generally still play very well. Like, Castlevania I and II have aged bad, but Castlevania III is still playable. Mario and the original LoZ and Zelda 2 aged, but SMB 3 and A Link to the Past are still GOOD today.

>> No.439584
File: 90 KB, 500x540, 1363049977126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Probably Normality for me. When I was a kid replayed that game over and over and over again just because i liked the atmosphere and gameplay in it but when I tried it again two years ago it just wasn't the same. I still played through it just to remember it but it just wasn't the same.

>> No.439594 [DELETED] 
File: 751 KB, 1429x1429, Power Stone 2 FRONT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Used to play this all the time with my friends.

About a year ago, I met up with two of them and tried it again. We didn't even last an hour. Just didn't have the same feel.

>> No.439605

>>429220
i thought command and conquer would have

>> No.439645
File: 77 KB, 500x470, 1335333197893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Perfect Dark

>> No.439721

>>439645
>Mad Catz

NOT EVEN ONCE

>> No.440038

>>439721
Mad Catz's transparent Gamecube pads are superior to the Nintendo-made ones. I shit you not. If you see one, buy it and compare them.

It made playing Metroid Prime MUCH less painful (PRESS L TRIGGER ALL DAY).

>> No.440226

>>440038
I will admit, those analog sticks did have some interesting feedback. Felt a lot less rubbery than the standard controller.

But I'd rather play with a controller that doesn't have a sticky B button, overly-sensitive R trigger, and a broken Z button after 10 minutes of use.

>> No.440254

>>439645
d-does that really work?

>> No.440274

Deus Ex.
The graphics and control schemes have aged horribly. I would kill to see it remade, properly, in the DXHR engine (and without CQC killmoves).

>> No.440310

>>440038
I second this. And just for reference, they are called Madcatz Microcons. They're amazing.

>> No.440326

>>440226
do you play games like a gorilla? Mine has held up fine.

>> No.440373

medievil and armored core

;_;

>> No.440435

>>440254
Yeah. You have to be careful to arrange the batteries EXACTLY like in the picture though.

>> No.440482

>>428783
It's not so bad. It's stupidly short and easy, but still a solid game. I'd gladly make it a kid's first mario game.

>> No.440473
File: 4 KB, 108x125, Let me assist you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Breath of Fire 3

It's not a bad of a game, and the soundtrack still kick ass to this day, but it was one of the first RPGs I played, and I remember how I really enjoyed grinding with my team, and I stopped about 3/4 of the game.

Still beated it severals years later on emulator, fuck that desert part.

>> No.440505

All the Pokemons

I just don't have imagination anymore ;_;

>> No.440570

>>440326
No, they're just really cheaply made controllers that have the tendency to stop working with time.

>> No.440575

>>429910
I have 15+ controllers that say differently.

>> No.440589
File: 10 KB, 601x695, 131703766828.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

most n64 games, after years of playing games in 60fps, I just cant deal with lower framerates, like duke nukem zero hour drops to 5-10fps so often its just tedious to play.

Some early dos games as well, packtrat, keen 1 etc, they are playable, but doesnt feel the same anymore.

And then most old turn-based jrpgs, final fantasy, dragon warrior(s), legend of ghost lion for example.

>> No.440598

The first two generations of Pokemon games. That's all I can think of, really. They're just primitive and shitty compared to later installments.

I see a lot of people saying that they can't enjoy JRPGs anymore because of how long they are. Is 30-40 hours really too long now?

>> No.440601
File: 53 KB, 478x356, monkeeeeeeh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh monkey magic, i'll never forget my time with you, but you're just not the same anymore, neither am i.

>> No.440607

>>428770
Magical racing tour so much
finished in a few hours
and it toke me forever when i was a kid
all races feel like the same too

>> No.440608
File: 88 KB, 428x374, adsfdgfhg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>440598
>people saying that they can't enjoy JRPGs anymore because of how long they are

WHAT

>> No.440635

Bomberman Heroes :/

>> No.440657

>>440598
When 90% of that time is filler, yes, it's too long.

>> No.440661

>>440601
>somehow missed this game back in the day
>looked interesting
>thought I might want to try it
>check out a gameplay video
>MONKEEEEEEEH

yeeaahh... well.. I'm never trying that one

>> No.440679

>>428770
The Boomerang Kid off of the Quattro Adventure cart on the NES. I tried playing it again (emulated) 2 years ago (I had last played it in 1992 when I was 5)...it was complete crap.

>> No.440709

>>440661
It had some interesting/questionable mechanics.
You had 4 magic powers: shrinking, a damage shield, fire and ice.
The thing is, you could either imbue any of them on yourself or throw them at enemies, so you could do retarded stuff like making an enemy invulnerable or freezing yourself infront of them.

>> No.440721

>>440709
MONKEEEEEEEH

>> No.440769
File: 11 KB, 240x320, imagejpeg_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>439491
>play the absolute living fuck out of that game as a kid
>time trials trying to beat my own times over and over and over
>years later in college
>friends bring their retro vidya in dorms, play mario kart
>only get a tiny fraction of the original enjoyment back i once had wasting so many hours on it as i used to
i still think the soundtrack is decent. especially koopa beach, vanilla lake, and rainbow road. they're just well-written tunes.

>> No.440774

>>440657
From the SNES era onwards JRPGs are only like, 30% filler on average.

>> No.440795

>>428770
Resident evil 3.

Never beat it with an A or S rank but i practiced a lot so i can fight nemesis without receiving too much damage. i know it's a broken mecanic but at that time i get used to it, i was pretty good.

Now every time i replay it, i forgot almost any tactics to fight him, but still remember some puzzles.

Does anyone beat the knife run challenge? i never tried.

>> No.440873
File: 37 KB, 640x480, Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>428931

Dude those fucking Wampas in the fist level used scared the shit out of me..

>> No.440896 [DELETED] 

>>429887

I just replayed it on the 3ds & it was godly

>> No.440940

Sonic adventure, actually any non-genesis sonic game aside from SA2

>> No.441665
File: 282 KB, 500x439, tumblr_mezt9ypXkM1s0rnxbo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Legendary Wings

That fucking level one song still rings in my head like the piercing memories of the horrors of war. They'd just keep coming. You'd open up with cannon and bombs setting off explosions in all directions. Bastards kept me well armed for their war. Simultaneous ground and air attack. Excellent mobility. Enemy never knew what hit them, but they kept coming, and coming,. So many countless enemies destroyed. So much blood on my hands. They just kept coming.

>> No.441774

>>439491
>half the screen taken up by a map you can't turn off.

Dumbest fucking shit I ever seen. Just for that one thing, i've never been able to get into SMK.