[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 82 KB, 550x504, ded6113715721f769372b72a04df9d9d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4276768 No.4276768[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>no platformers
>no good shooters
>no good adventure games
>no good puzzlers
>literally a bunch of autistic JRPGs and arcade ports
>heavy use of shitty, compressed FMV that aged like semen
>most games have shit music
>CD format = insane loading times
>most of the games don't even support analog
Is the PS1 one of the worst console ever made?

Not joking, serious question

>> No.4276773

PSX actually had more real platformers (meaning games that were actually about jumping) than N64.

>> No.4276779

>>4276773
>PSX actually had more real platformers (meaning games that were actually about jumping) than N64.
Nope, N64 had that too. The difference is that N64 platformers actually had something to do, compared to games like Crash Bandicoot which are mind-numbingly boring because you do nothing but push forward on the dpad and press X every few seconds.

>> No.4276781

>>4276773
Maybe, but with the exception of Spyro 1 they're literally all terrible. N64 had the better platformers.

>> No.4276789

>>4276779
N64 had like 3 or 4 real platformers at most. Rayman 2, that One Goemon game, and you can make a case for Mario 64.
>N64 platformers actually had something to do
Running around in an empty space looking for shit hardly califies as something to do.

>> No.4276795

>>4276768
You sure are butthurt from DAT thread little N64fag

>> No.4276796
File: 1.23 MB, 720x404, hmc100.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276789
>Running around in an empty space looking for shit
You're retarded, aren't you?

>> No.4276797

>>4276796
>and you can make a case for Mario 64
there, learn to read, champs

>> No.4276812

>>4276796
Lmao one minute you retards call them "collectathons" and the next minute you pivot and say they're "empty". You can't have your cake and eat it too, faggot child. Banjo and Mario are filled with various collectibles, challenges, obstacles and fun things to do, something games like Crash and Spyro supremely lack.

>> No.4276816

>>4276812
meant for >>4276789

>> No.4276819
File: 2.54 MB, 720x552, spyro.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276812
>Spyro
Spyro imo is better than any N64 platformer outside of BK and SM64. The stages and movement mechanics are just way too fun.

Shame the sequels changed the engine and added a bunch of shitty, boring minigame padding.

>> No.4276827

>>4276819
Spyro is ass dude. The movement mechanics are trash, especially compared to SM64. The sheer number of things you can do in that game are insane. And on the side of Banjo, the game is of such a vastly higher quality that it isn't even funny. Spyro just feels like a typical shovelware platformer GameCube series.

>> No.4276828

>>4276812
Honestly I have to agree with this, I'm not big into platformers myself but I love SM64 because just running around there's always somthing new and interesting to do, you could make the case that I'm a Ritalin addled ADD case but either way I always found Mario 64 fun and playstation platformers not so much (Though I'm actully playing through spyro now, how did we oprate without a set of proper camera controls?)

>> No.4276836

>>4276827
>The movement mechanics are trash
No, they actually feel great and have a surprising amount of depth to them.

Of course they don't measure up to SM64, nothing does. N64 is the better console for platforming, I agree, but throwing Spyro under the bus just shows how badly you want to unconditionally hate everything PS1 related.

>> No.4276841
File: 92 KB, 1023x669, Toy_Story_2_Buzz_Lightyear_to_the_Rescue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276812
>/vr/ is one person
>muh sonygger bogeyman
Mario 64 has stars that require you to actually complete platforming challenges. The platforming elements in Banjo, DK64 is pretty much incidental and only there as a way to further explore the levels. And most collectathons followed the Rare model, not Mario 64. A legit Mario 64 clone could be pic related.

>> No.4276864

>>4276841
>>/vr/ is one person
Notice how I said "retards"? See that "s" on the end? That implies more than one retard. Maybe if they didn't all say the same stupid shit, I wouldn't lump them in together.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here anyway. Mario and Banjo aren't identical? No shit. BK still requires plenty of traditional platforming, though.

>> No.4276875

>>4276819
Spyro isn't a very good game.

All of the levels are basically linear circuits, and the combat system is like an even more dumbed down version of paper-scissors-rock (either charge or flame) with enemies who are basically all reskins of 2 different types. Collecting gems (there are literally thousands of these fuckers) is about 50 times more tedious than collecting musical notes in Banjo-Kazooie.

I'll give it the great fairy tale aesthetic and the music is OK (though you would have expected a bit better from The Police for fucks sakes)

>> No.4276885

>>4276875
This. Anyone who shits on the N64 platformers for being repetitive has clearly never played Spyro. I don't know where this "collectathon" meme ever came from, there's only one and two items in Mario and Banjo respectively that are actually necessary for progressing the game, and they're easy as piss to locate. People literally get upset that that you actually have extra content in these games, unbelievable.

>> No.4276887

this fuckin faggot is back again man you just dont stop why do you hate the playstation so much? did you get bullied for having an N64 when you were a kid or something?

>good / not good
all subjective opinions

>> No.4276894

Tiny tank was God

>> No.4276901

>>4276864
>BK still requires plenty of traditional platforming, though.
It really doesn't. For the most part. You have to jump to reach all the spots in the levels sure, but getting jiggies is usually about exploring or doing something very specific rather than finishing an obstacle course that requires skill.

That's the thing with a lot of 5th gen platformers that some people just can't stand. And N64 had a shitload of those.

>> No.4276915

>>4276887
>this fuckin faggot is back again man you just dont stop why do you hate the playstation so much?
>implying one person makes these threads
Lmao dude, I owned both consoles when they were first released. The PS1 just isn't a very good system.

>> No.4276945
File: 1.39 MB, 468x360, CaringAmazingGraywolf.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276875
Spyro isn't a very good game.
Spyro is an excellent game.
>All of the levels are basically linear circuits
No they aren't lmao. There's always a primary path, but there are paths that circuit around those and other secret paths intertwined with both.
>the combat system is like an even more dumbed down version of paper-scissors-rock
Who gives a fuck about combat? It's The game is fun because of its movement. Combat is fucking boring in SM64 and Banjo Kazooie too. Regardless, comboing movement into combat, like flamecharging out of a glide (see the webm in >>4276819)) is fun as shit.
>enemies who are basically all reskins of 2 different types
Jesus Christ, you've literally never played the game. There are dozens of types of enemies with completely unique mechanics in many stages that don't appear in any of the other ones, like the snowball/ski Gnorcs in Ice Cavern, the dogs in Toasty, the tornado wizards in high caves, the rabbits in Misty Bog, etc etc. These aren't reskins, they have actual unique behaviors and mechanics.
>Collecting gems (there are literally thousands of these fuckers) is about 50 times more tedious than collecting musical notes in Banjo-Kazooie.
Not at all, it actually feels good collecting gems because of the Sparx hitbox mechanic, which punishes you for losing health. BK notes have hitboxes that are smaller than the actual object for fuck sakes.

>> No.4276946

>>4276885
Sometimes it's not what you put in a game but what you don't put into it that is more important. Just because there is a ton of shit throw into the game and you have a million options doesn't make it better, even more so it's a problem with modern gaming is that they throw as much as possible into a game without realizing a fun and challenging game requires you to work with the limitations of the game.

>> No.4276963

>>4276945
>There's always a primary path, but there are paths that circuit around those and other secret paths intertwined with both.
Even Naughty Dog said that Spyro had linear circuit levels (a few side paths doesn't change that) and they were friends with Insomnia
>The game is fun because of its movement
Nobody gives a shit about movement in Spyro. You are forcing its importance.
>Combat is fucking boring in SM64 and Banjo Kazooie too
Your characters in those games have shitloads of moves and the enemies don't fall into any "archetype" that make Spyro so boring.
>There are dozens of types of enemies with completely unique mechanics in many stages that don't appear in any of the other ones
To be fair I might have been thinking about 2 or 3 where they pretty much gave up on that.
>it actually feels good collecting gems because of the Sparx hitbox mechanic, which punishes you for losing health
The thing is that when you don't have Sparx collecting gems is really fucking annoying due to Spyro's massive turning angle. In any case, having to bust open various containers and wait for Sparx to collect them all is tedious and headache inducing.

Maybe saying Spyro wasn't a good game was unfair but it's clearly a B-rate platformer closer to Croc than to Mario 64.

>> No.4276983
File: 72 KB, 1200x895, 1200px-PlayStation-Analog-Joystick.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276768
>>no platformers
Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Croc, Klonoa, Megaman X Series, Ape Escape
>>no good shooters
G Darius, Quake II, Doom, Metal Slug X,
>>no good adventure games
Tomb Raider, King's Field, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen, Diablo
>>no good puzzlers
Board Game Top Shop, Lemmings, Lode Runner, Qix Neo, Blockids
>>literally a bunch of autistic JRPGs and arcade ports
Sure
>>heavy use of shitty, compressed FMV that aged like semen
Ok
>>most games have shit music
FF Series, Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk Series, Medal of Honor
>>CD format = insane loading times
Sure
>>most of the games don't even support analog
But on the other hand there is an insane amount of Playstation hardware, controllers and accessories many of which can take a mediocre game and turn it great. Some controllers just work extremely well with certain games. Lots and lots of PS1 controllers.

>> No.4276991
File: 2.65 MB, 2024x1094, Playstation-2D-Pt1.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276768
>implying no platformers
>implying no stg
>implying no adv/puzzle/etc.
It's got everything m8

>> No.4276995
File: 2.61 MB, 2024x1094, Playstation-2D-Pt2.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276991

>> No.4277013

>>4276983
I like this post. But don't forget that amazing game, forgotten, yet timeless. TOMBA!

Also (even if you people hate emulation), Emulating a psx cuts the load time.

>> No.4277017
File: 1.05 MB, 468x360, alpineridge.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276963
>Even Naughty Dog said that Spyro had linear circuit levels (a few side paths doesn't change that) and they were friends with Insomnia
The levels aren't that linear. They're all designed AROUND one linear path, but there's far more depth to them than that alone. I disagree with Naughty Dog's assessment here.
>Nobody gives a shit about movement in Spyro. You are forcing its importance.
It's literally the most important part of the game, just like every platformer. It's what makes it fun and unique.
>Your characters in those games have shitloads of moves and the enemies don't fall into any "archetype" that make Spyro so boring.
The enemies in Spyro are far more varied and numerous than the enemies in SM64. Not that that matters, because combat in either game is a fucking afterthought.
>The thing is that when you don't have Sparx collecting gems is really fucking annoying due to Spyro's massive turning angle.
Jump and pivot you fucking dunce. Jumping makes you turn more sharply and more quickly. This complaint is literally on tier with the mongoloids who complain about not being able to turn around without running in a semicircle in SM64.
>Maybe saying Spyro wasn't a good game was unfair but it's clearly a B-rate platformer closer to Croc than to Mario 64.
No, Spyro 1 is absolutely a top tier platformer. If you were talking about the Spyro game on PS2 and Gamecube I'd agree.

>> No.4277037

>>4276768
>no good puzzlers

wat, the psx and saturn was the puzzle consoles

Heres some good puzzlan:
Intelligent Qube
Kula World
Devil Dice
Pang
Puchi Carat
Mr Driller
Cleopatra Fortune
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Puzzle Bobble
Puyo Puyo
Tetris
YoYo's Puzzle Park (Gussun Paradise)
Zoku Gussun Oyoyo
Arkanoid Returns
Magical Drop
Blockkids
Puzzle Star Sweep
Bubble Bobble Also Featuring Rainbow Islands
I could go on tbqh, I dont get why everyone underestimates the ps1 library for some reason.

>no good shooters
if by shooters you mean fps, they were better on pc then n64 either way

>> No.4277049

>>4277017
>It's literally the most important part of the game, just like every platformer.
Yeah nah. You literally never have to use momentum in Spyro except where you have those accelerator pads there for you. It's similar to DK64 in that regard heh.
>Jump and pivot you fucking dunce. Jumping makes you turn more sharply and more quickly.
Yeah except that's a lot of effort to smash all those fucking gem containers.
>No, Spyro 1 is absolutely a top tier platformer
Nah the reviews back then pretty clearly put it in the 80% range together with Croc, Gex and co...

>> No.4277052

>>4276983
actually if you think about the saturn has a lot of JRPGs and arcade ports

>> No.4277059

>>4276991
>>4276995
Nice I've played a lot of Playstation games but there are a few on here that I haven't so I'm gonna check them out. These webms make me wanna take acid and look at them.

>> No.4277071
File: 1.20 MB, 480x360, tjislandhop.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4277049
>You literally never have to use momentum in Spyro except where you have those accelerator pads there for you.
Carrying momentum out of a charge into a jump (Let go of square and hit X) gains you extra height, and comboing this into a charge>glide (flick thumb from square to X) gains you extra distance. These techniques let you reach places you otherwise couldn't, similar to webm related. It doesn't look as cool, but it's momentum related tech all the same.
>Yeah except that's a lot of effort to smash all those fucking gem containers
So you're a lazy cunt who sucks at games. Good to know. I'm probably a million times more knowledgeable than you about SM64 too.
>muh reviews
lmao jesus christ.

>> No.4277090

>>4277071
>These techniques let you reach places you otherwise couldn't, similar to webm related. It doesn't look as cool, but it's momentum related tech all the same.
Except you actually need to build momentum to get some of the stars in Mario 64.
>So you're a lazy cunt who sucks at games
Being good at games =/= mindlessly smashing gem boxes 500 times.
>lmao jesus christ.
>i-i-it doesn't c-count!!

>> No.4277094

>>4277090
>Except you actually need to build momentum to get some of the stars in Mario 64.
Lmao, please tell me which star you need to build any meaningful momentum for and I'll gladly tell you why you're wrong.
>Being good at games =/= mindlessly smashing gem boxes 500 times.
Okay? Thanks for the completely irrelevant redundancy.

>> No.4277113

>>4276768
That whole generation was the worst. A few standout gems, but it was a push to 3d before the systems could do it justice and most of the games were limited by it. Things got better so it's all good and those few gems are still gems.

>> No.4277141

>>4277090
>Except you actually need to build momentum to get some of the stars in Mario 64.
Lmao, please tell me which star you need to build any meaningful momentum for and I'll gladly tell you why you're wrong.
>Being good at games =/= mindlessly smashing gem boxes 500 times.
Okay? Thanks for the insight on a claim noone made.

>> No.4277146

>>4276768
The fuck is wrong with you? Clearly you are a millenial with an attention span of a goldfish.

>> No.4277165

>>4276768
>>no platformers
>>no good shooters
>>no good adventure games
>>no good puzzlers

There's a million of these. This is a shitty bait thread.

>>literally a bunch of autistic JRPGs and arcade ports

That's the Saturn.

>> No.4277168

>>4276768
It's unironically worse than the 64, PS2, PS3 and even the PS4! At best, Dreamcast or Saturn tier even with a much larger library! Sad!

>> No.4277253
File: 662 KB, 392x281, salem bitch please.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276768
all off the top of my head. just because you're stupid about what's out there, doesn't mean it's not out there.

platformers
klonoa, rayman 2, castlevania ssotn, toomba

shooters
twisted metal 2, medal of honor 1 and 2

adventure
broken sword, discworld, blazing dragons

puzzler
intelligent cube, puzzle fighter 2, bust a move

>> No.4277259

>>4276768
I wonder if you think your bait made me mad, okay it actually made me a bit confused but that's it.
Stop spreading obvious lies in the internet, not because it's wrong but because people is not that stupid as to believe you.

>> No.4277267

>>4277259
>people is not that stupid
>is
I disagree wholeheartedly.

>> No.4277283

>>4277253
>klonoa, rayman 2, castlevania ssotn, toomba
Castlevania is not a fucking platformer and Rayman 2 on PS1 is complete garbage, barely even the same game. The N64 and Dreamcast versions are vastly superior in every way. Everything else you named is shit.
>twisted metal 2, medal of honor 1 and 2
Lmao twisted metal 2 is not a shooter you dumb fuck, and MOH is a fucking dried cum wad of a game compared to god-tier shit like Perfect Dark.
>broken sword, discworld, blazing dragons
Literal shovelware.
>intelligent cube, puzzle fighter 2, bust a move
See above.

Looks like you're pretty "stupid about what's out there".

>> No.4277295
File: 212 KB, 855x1196, ps1-shit-rat-vs-n64-elder-god-53359649.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4276768
REMINDER

>> No.4277304

haha ya got jokes kid

>> No.4277329

>>4276945
I like Spyro's model and the environment design isn't too bad, but jesus christ these enemies are an eyesore. They look goofy as fuck; like a 5 year old drew them.

>> No.4277348

>>4277113
That whole generation was great, it just aged like milk instead of fine wine. N64 holds up a bit better because the big titles, like the nintendo and rare games look generally better than most PS1 games. But you are correct the chock full of polygon fomula is ass by today standards and just doesnt hold up like NES retrowise

>> No.4277351
File: 370 KB, 1280x720, 1504446273012.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4277295
>"Doesn't need to argue that the N64 won the 5th gen"
>Creates long childish strawman image that argues how N64 won the 5th gen

>> No.4277359

>>4276796
You always post these autistic shit videos when somebody slams collectathons for being shit (rightfully so). They don't look impressive. They're autistic.

>> No.4277364

>>4277283
all you need now is someone who gives a fuck about your shitty tastes and you're all set. lmao stupidass.

>> No.4277365

>>4277359
>They don't look impressive.
Of course they do.
>They're autistic.
What does that even mean?

>> No.4277369

>>4277348
NES doesn't hold up at all. It has like 5 good games at best.

>> No.4277406

>>4277369
>>>4277348 (You)
>NES doesn't hold up at all. It has like 5 good games at best.

This what I get for posting sane comments in a shitpost thread.

>> No.4277526

>>4276768
> no shooters
But psx Doom is the best console port of Doom, has great music, and is all around good.

>> No.4277530

>>4276768
>no platformers
I'm so fucking tired of bait threads it hurts.

>> No.4277531

>>4277526
>But psx Doom is the best console port of Doom, has great music, and is all around good.
It's a watered-down PC port with shit controls, worse graphics, worse audio and less levels. If you're going to play DOOM on a console you might as well play DOOM 64 and get a unique experience instead of wasting money and time on a shit port.

>> No.4277541

>>4277531
It's a very unique experience, what are you taking about?

>> No.4277569

>>4276768
So it has a great library.

>> No.4277583

>>4277348
> just aged like milk instead of fine wine.

That's exactly why I said it was bad. A few gems, but overall weak.

>> No.4277605

>>4277541
How is it unique exactly? It's literally the same game with a few minor tweaks, different audio and less levels.

>> No.4277628

>>4277583
I wasn't disagreeing just giving my opinion on why so many people, that weren't of age in that generation, think N64 was so great. Those games just are holding up better style wise and availability wise. There are generally less "valuable" games simply from a durability standpoint of cart vs CD. Hell Nintendo sold another million copies of Mario64 on DS, so obviously they were good games. I was never a big N64 fan, so its not a fanboy opinion. I did play a ton of mario party, mario kart and the THQ wrestling games on it at the time, but easily played PS1 in general more.

>> No.4277647

>>4277605
>less levels
Still more than Doom 64. Doom 64's levels are shit, anyways.

>> No.4277651

>>4277647
There are actually less levels, retard.
>Doom 64's levels are shit, anyways.
Lmao no actually they're fucking great, but what do you know? You haven't even played the game.

>> No.4277659

>>4277605
Lol you should just play it. The sector lighting, sound, and music actually make a huge difference.

>> No.4277671

>>4277659
>Lol you should just play it. The sector lighting, sound, and music actually make a huge difference.
Yeah actually, I have, and it looks like shit. The best thing about it are the new monster sounds which made their way into DOOM 64 anyway, which is the game that actually fits your description.

>> No.4277681

>>4277651
PS1 Doom levels: 59
Doom 64 levels: 31
Kill yourself, mongoloid.
>You haven't even played the game.
I'm sorry someone thinks your shitty game is in fact shit.

>> No.4277712

>>4276768
Shitty bait but fuck it I'm bored.

>no platformers

Mega Man X4-6
Mega Man 8
Better versions of Mega Man 1-6
Klonoa
Croc
Crash 1-3
Spyro 1-3
Pandemonium 1-2
Gex 1-3
Strider 1-2
Pac-Man World
Tomba 1-2
Castelvania Chronicles
Oddworld

>no good shooters

I don't play FPS' so I wouldn't know, I heard that Alien game was good though.

>no good adventure games

Legacy of Kain games
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Mega Man Legends 1-2
Medievil 1-2
Policenauts

>no good puzzlers

Tetris Plus
Devil Dice
Bust a Move 4
Myst
Riven
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Mr. Driller

"Hey guys I'm shitting on entire genres that I would like if the N64 had them and acting like subjectivity = objectivity XD"

>heavy use of shitty, compressed FMV that aged like semen

... You have seen the compression of shit like Resident Evil 2 on N64 right?

>most games have shit music

Nice broad statement that applies to the entire video game industry, including the N64's library (and more heavily so than the PS1's if you ask me)

>CD format = insane loading times

Set disc load speed to fast. This is 2017 you know. Besides, it doesn't matter because the PS1 wasn't made for the ADHD generation. Underagefag pls go and stay go.

>most of the games don't even support analog

Why did they need to? And the ones that did handled way better than N64 games with the shittiest controller of all time.

>Is the PS1 one of the worst console ever made? Not joking, serious question

Confirmed underage. We have consoles like the N-Gage, V-Smile, Apple Bandai Pippin, Atari Jaguar, Atari 5200, Atari Lynx, Gizmondo, HyperScan, Ouya, Philips CD-i, 32X, and Virtua Boy, yet you're asking if a console with 2,000+ games in its library qualifies as one of the all time worst? Fuck outta here kiddo.

>> No.4277741

>>4277651
>>4277681
My bad, there's 32 in Doom 64. Doesn't matter, though, you're still a dumbfuck with shit taste.

>> No.4277865

>>4277741
Nice posting, bro

>> No.4277870

>>4276995
community porn.

>> No.4277878

>>4277712
i think he was talking about shmups. there has never been a good console FPS.