[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 89 KB, 252x175, Yoshi's_Safari_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
426141 No.426141 [Reply] [Original]

How was this game? I never even heard of it until I was fooling around on Wikipedia.

>> No.426178

It's actually pretty fucking great.

And it's more practical to play now than ever before.

Back in the day you could get through about half the game before your Superscope ran out of its MASSIVE LOAD OF BATTERIES.

>> No.427830
File: 130 KB, 640x480, 36411-Yoshi's_Safari_(USA)-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's decent. I beat it once using the scope, the bowser battle made my arm hurt, too much rapidfire.

It's a basic onrail shooter on first perspective, you only see Yoshi's head. Levels are straightforward, but you can choose different paths.
There's boss battles and while the graphics aren't extremely impressive, there's some good ol mode 7 going on.

What I like about the game is that the art, color palette, etc is just like Super Mario World, it feels like an actual SMW spinoff. From the map to the characters and all.

>> No.428834

I find it far more fun with a mouse than the Super Scope

>> No.428860

This makes me wonder if a satisfying 3D Mario could have been done on SNES using mode7 and sprite scaling. The environments would have to be extremely basic but I can think of some star missions that would still be doable like racing that koopa, the slide levels, collecting red coins and whatnot.