Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 55 KB, 480x270, sm64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4256127 No.4256127 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

>some people hate this masterpiece, maybe one of the best games EVER made
HOW

>> No.4256150

>can't even walk straight
>cinematic camera movement
>repetitive levels about scaling mountains/structures dozen times

>> No.4256181

>>4256127
>>4256150

did you both learn how to flavor text today or something

>> No.4256347

>>4256181

>flavor text

Mario 64 sucked btw

>> No.4256385

I know some people who liked the 2D games but cant get over his dumb mickey mouse voice in this one and later games.

>> No.4256390

>>4256127
>maybe one of the best games EVER made
oh shit nigga, you never go full retard

>> No.4256391

>>4256127
Boring game t b h

>> No.4256393

>so long gay Bowser

I cannot support such homophobic filth.

>> No.4256401

>>4256127
10/10 movement, soundtrack, vibe
6/10 levels

>> No.4256481

People who are young and didnt experience it first hand look at it as old and dont like it for that reason. Those who did play it ( and def. loved it ) as kids, only played it a few times because they didnt really play video games often, they'd ask their parents for other stuff not video games. As they grew up, they lived their lives, never caring about vidya, but then the nerd culture thing started being trendy and they remembered they played video games a few times as kids.
So, though they enjoyed mario 64 they dont remember much about it, and instead of taking time to play it again they just pretend its not so great because disliking a popular opinion such as "mario 64 is great" will make them seem cool and if they "analyze" it and say why it sucks they'll seem like they know their shit. But they dont.

When nerd culture is done with, those people will fade away. And wont even have an opinion on mario 64.

"Mario 64? Whats that...oh..whats nintendo 64?"

>> No.4256560

>>4256127
I thought it looked great when I first played it 20 years ago (still looks great imo)
I just prefer 2D platformers, 3D ones have too much aimless wandering

>> No.4257030

>>4256127
Mario's model looks weird.

>> No.4257195

I think the 3d was pushed as a fucking gimmick.
It needed more polishing, the camera is kinda bad.
The game is ok but not the master piece everybody here claims it to be.

>> No.4257206

>>4256401
The soundtrack is overrated desu. Dire Dire Docks and Bowser's Road are great, but the rest don't stand out very far.

>> No.4257847

>>4256127
I don't hate it. But it's overrated. It marked the beginning of nintendo's sheer laziness. It's where they started making games with a handful of levels and just made you play them over and over with slightly different objectives, instead of actually creating unique content.
It's a good tech demo and introduction to the controller but nothing more.

>> No.4257870

It'd be better if they cut out the entire first room and made more levels after the last Bowser. The game starts out way too easy, it's really boring to play on repeat playthroughs.

>> No.4258263

>>4256481
I'm a youngfag (at least 18) and played the DS version, kids these days aren't that out of touch.

I really wish nintendo would port it more often, it has only aged graphically and in its glitchyness. Otherwise it's still has wonderful feeling movement anyone will enjoy.

>> No.4258273

>>4256150
Yes!

>> No.4258283

>>4258263
I more wish that they'd reintroduce the momentum based movement to the newer Mario games.

>> No.4258284

>>4256127
rocksolid 17fps

>> No.4258656

>>4257206
Wanna know how I know you didn't finish it?

>> No.4258669

>>4258656
Because final Browser fight is the best track in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCrCmlrmHqg

>> No.4258690

4 letters:
U
G
L
Y

>> No.4258701

>>4258284
Was your phone too slow to run the emulator kiddo? On hardware the game was 30 fps most of the time with occasional dips into the 20's.

>> No.4258712

>can't understand how people like different thing

Are you still assbalsted from the last thread?

>> No.4258724

>>4258701
>with the occasional dips
Thanks for confirming what he said, retard

>> No.4258731

>>4256481
I played it a year after it came out after playing games like Alone in the Dark, Reaisent Evil, System Shock, Ultima Underworld, Magic Carpet, Tomb Raider, Quake, and Descent. I didn't like it, and even if I played it the day it came out I think that my opinion wouldn't change. It was just part of a progressive technological advancement as far as 3D games go but it's still not the greatest game ever made. That's called an opinion. Many people seem to be under the assumption that just because an opinion is popular that its objective; and it's not.

Stop making the same threads about how perfect the N64 and its games are and then getting mad because people disagree. It's not contrarian, other people have been playing games for a long time before this and some people had different experiences. They are not your experiences. People like you make me dislike something more than I actually do because you try to force your opinion on everyone and call them names because they disagree or think differently.

>> No.4260041

>>4256481
nah m8 it was shit. nice try psychoanalysing why people didn't like it but at the end of the day you tried to hard to sound smart and this game was an absolute failure.

>> No.4260053
File: 52 KB, 620x387, hipster-trash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260053

>>4256481
You sound like that annoying kid in class who thinks he knows it all. And forced himself to be gay because girls don't like him.

>> No.4260071

The N64 was a piece of shit lol. People who say it's great are jumping on the /vr/ bandwagon or are trying to be elitist about retro gaming (cancerfags).

>> No.4260079

>>4260071
>Was a piece of shit lol
Good b8
In fact the console had the best possible ram back then, so that's why it had good load times and the cartridges were a good choice. If the n64 design was used now, you would say it is great, because now it would work perfectly simply because flash memory is hundreds of times cheaper than back then, so space wouldn't be an issue.

>> No.4260080

>>4260079
>If the n64 design was used now, you would say it is great
Nah, I'd still say it's shit desu

>> No.4260094

All 3d platformers are boring and awful

>> No.4260098
File: 80 KB, 800x800, 142-Rayman_2_The_Great_Escape-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260098

>>4260094
Except for Rayman 2.

>> No.4260103

>>4260071
The hardware wasnt terrible, just cost prohibitive, third party support left and also texture mapping meme was in full swing, a mistake yet to be rectified

>> No.4260104

You know the first red coin on the first Bowser stage? The one where you have to push a button then run back to the beginning of the stage to see that a small bridge appeared under the coin for a few seconds. Grabbing that coin should be as simple as walking up to it then quickly walking in the exact opposite direction till you're on safe land, but it's not so simple. Trying that sensical approach that would work on any other videogame will probably end up with mario walking off the bridge and into the abbyss (probably; It might work sometimes).
What I'm trying to say is that the game's controls and physics can make the later levels very frustrating.

>> No.4260113

>>4260071
>The N64 was a piece of shit lol.
Homosexual identified. The only person who calls the N64 a "piece of shit" was either A) not alive when it was popular, or B) doesn't know jack shit about the library. In your case, I'm guessing both. It had great games, great hardware, and a controller that was perfect for almost any kind of game and to this day acts as the ultimate casual filter for people too stupid to use it properly. I imagine you're a typical hypertard that thinks your average turn-based JRPG is actually good and that the N64 has nothing but "Mario games".

>> No.4260117

>>4256401
This is honestly true to my experience. The levels aren't nearly as good as what Rare gave us, but the platforming mechanics were overly ambitious and we still haven't had anything that surpasses it since.

>> No.4260124

>>4260117
I'd say the level design is a little better than 6/10, that might be a bit unfair. Bomb-omb Battlefield, Cool Cool Mountain, Whomp's Fortress and some others had great design. Granted though, Banjo-Kazooie is an absolute master class in game design and pretty much shits all over SM64.

>> No.4260127

>>4260113
thanks for falling for the b8 m8 lmao

>> No.4260131

>>4260113
>great games
explain yourself

>> No.4260132

>>4260113
>the controller is good you're just too dumb to use it properly lol
The 64 might have been a great console but the controller was so situational it hurts, and most 64 games not made by Nintendo can be played a lot more comfortably on a "normal" controller (i.e. a dualshock). Also just how pathetic do you have to be to think yourself smarter because you know which handles to grab on the controller

>> No.4260136

>>4260113
If the N64 controller was so perfect, explain to me why the N64 style controller never carried on to any other consoles.
I'll tell you why, because it was a failed innovation

>> No.4260145

>>4260136
I uhh.. I uhh... umm.. well.. the middle of the controller reminds me of how daddy made me hold his penis

>> No.4260146

>>4260131
>explain yourself
If you think the N64 doesn't have great games, like I said, you don't know shit about the library. Tell me more about how autistic JRPGs are fun.

>The 64 might have been a great console but the controller was so situational it hurts, and most 64 games not made by Nintendo can be played a lot more comfortably on a "normal" controller (i.e. a dualshock).
Lmao oh yeah, the dualshock, the controller that didn't come out until 2 years until the PS1's life cycle, had shit ergonomics, was made for tiny asian hands, wasn't even supported by most games and was only developed as an answer to the N64's analog.
>Also just how pathetic do you have to be to think yourself smarter because you know which handles to grab on the controller
It's not a matter of thinking myself smarter for knowing how to use it, it's just that I know you're a retard if you don't. Pretty simple, really.
>>4260136
>If the N64 controller was so perfect, explain to me why the N64 style controller never carried on to any other consoles
Actually it was. It's called every console that came afterwards and used analog. You can thank the N64 for that.

>> No.4260147

>>4260146
second paragraph meant for >>4260132

>> No.4260149

>>4260146
>explain yourself
>can't
lol

>> No.4260151

>>4260149
What do you want me to tell you? You're arguing from a point of ignorance. If I make a list of say, 20 awesome games, you're just going to cherrypick a few you either don't know or dislike and then tell me how they're all shit. There's no point in indulging you if you're just going to purposely act retarded.

>> No.4260153

>>4260146
>Actually it was. It's called every console that came afterwards and used analog. You can thank the N64 for that.
Oh yeah I forgot about every console after the N64 that came with 3 handles and one analog stick.
Thank be Nintendo gods for creating the analog stick.
Fuck you're retarted

>> No.4260154

>>4260151
List those 20 games

>> No.4260159

>>4260154
>Ocarina of Time
>Majora's Mask
>Super Mario 64
>Banjo-Kazooie
>Star Fox 64
>F-Zero X
>Mario Kart 64
>Diddy Kong Racing
>Blast Corps
>Jet Force Gemini
>Ogre Battle 64
>Wetrix
>Tetrisphere
>DOOM 64
>Yoshi's Story
>Mario Party series
>Kirby Crystal Shards
>Harvest Moon 64
>Conker's Bad Fur Day
>Paper Mario
>Goldeneye
>Perfect Dark
>Turok series
>Wave Race 64
>1080 Snowboarding
>Pokemon Stadium
>Space Station Silicon Valley
>Bomberman 64
>Pilot Wings
>Mischief Makers
>Super Smash Bros.

There you go, off the top of my head. I even threw a few extra in there. Now proceed to tell me how the library is trash because there isn't any weeb shit and you've never played any of it.

>> No.4260162

>>4260159
Thank you for wasting your energy. I actually like the N64 lol.

>> No.4260164

>>4260153
So in other words, you're too stupid to differentiate between the concepts of "influencing" and "copying". Gotcha.

>> No.4260165

>>4260146
>Lmao oh yeah, the dualshock, the controller that didn't come out until 2 years until the PS1's life cycle, had shit ergonomics, was made for tiny asian hands, wasn't even supported by most games and was only developed as an answer to the N64's analog.
I don't see how any of this makes the Dualshock or any of its modern clones/variants less universal than the 64's.

>It's not a matter of thinking myself smarter for knowing how to use it, it's just that I know you're a retard if you don't. Pretty simple, really.
See, you're doing it again, you think you're clever and smart but it's fucking obvious that someone who can't figure out a 64 controller is a retard, because the damn thing isn't hard to figure out, also you're doing the typical "you don't like it because you suck at it lol" argument I always see on /vr/, I mean I know how to eat a goddamn cucumber but that doesn't mean I should like cucumbers.

>Actually it was. It's called every console that came afterwards and used analog. You can thank the N64 for that.
>nintendo invented analogs
that thing wasn't even actually analog lol

>> No.4260167

>>4260162
>Thank you for wasting your energy. I actually like the N64 lol.
>I was purposely being retarded
Lmao. Oh sweet summer child.

>> No.4260170

ITT one guy defends the N64

>> No.4260172

Why does /vr/ have to have such elitists. It's feeling a bit like /pol/ in here

>> No.4260173

>>4260165
>I don't see how any of this makes the Dualshock or any of its modern clones/variants less universal than the 64's.
LOL dualshock clones. The dualshock is a fucking SNES pad with two N64 imitation sticks tacked on. It didn't influence fucking shit.
>See, you're doing it again, you think you're clever and smart but it's fucking obvious that someone who can't figure out a 64 controller is a retard, because the damn thing isn't hard to figure out, also you're doing the typical "you don't like it because you suck at it lol" argument I always see on /vr/, I mean I know how to eat a goddamn cucumber but that doesn't mean I should like cucumbers.
And yet the only people I ever see bitching about the N64 controller are, actually, too retarded to use it. Look, you can keep pretending that your opinion is valid, but the simple fact of the matter is that 5 years old were able to use the controller just fine and you're sitting here bitching about it. That's not a reflection on the controller, that's a reflection on you. Again, I'm deeply sorry that you lack the capabilities of a small child.
>that thing wasn't even actually analog lol
Oh no, he's retarded.

>> No.4260178

>>4260172
4chan has always been elitist. Don't like it? Fuck off back to ®eddit.

>> No.4260179

>>4260173
m8 i don't think anyone here commented on how hard it was to use? or did I miss something?

>> No.4260183

>>4260178
Actually majority of /vr/ threads are pretty good, this has been the most cancerous of late.

>> No.4260184

>>4260104
Fuck I actually died a couple of times in that part today, felt like a dumbass

>> No.4260185

>>4260165
>I mean I know how to eat a goddamn cucumber

YEAH YOU DO

>> No.4260186

>>4260179
>i don't think anyone here commented on how hard it was to use? or did I miss something?
Then why are you bitching about it? Either it's not hard to use and it works like it should, or you're too fucking shit to use it properly. Either way, it ends up reflecting on you. A real gamer doesn't bitch about control method. Stop blaming the hardware and get better.

>> No.4260190

>>4260186
Uhh.. you've got the wrong anon dude, I just got in here.

>> No.4260191

>>4260190
Then don't respond like you're the person I've been talking to the entire time, retard. Just say "not that anon" or something if it bothers you so much. Lurk more.

>> No.4260192
File: 10 KB, 225x225, nin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260192

Oh boy, you guys got this one guy so fired up about the N64. Topkek.

>> No.4260195

>>4260173
>LOL dualshock clones. The dualshock is a fucking SNES pad with two N64 imitation sticks tacked on. It didn't influence fucking shit.
You're avoiding the topic son. A standard 2-handles, 2-stick, 4 buttons, 4 triggers controller is more universal than the 64 controller.

>YOU DON'T LIKE IT BECAUSE YOU SUCK AT IT LOL IF I SAY IT AGAIN I WIN also tl;dr lol
I don't even know what to say.

>> No.4260196

>>4260191
Desu you sound real bothered by something

>> No.4260202

>>4260191
Non that anon but I don't see how he was responding like he was the person you were raging against.

>> No.4260203

>>4260186
I think you're convinced that the only reason anyone would ever dislike something is because they don't know how to use it.

>> No.4260204

>>4260195
>You're avoiding the topic son. A standard 2-handles, 2-stick, 4 buttons, 4 triggers controller is more universal than the 64 controller.
You don't seem to grasp the very simple concept that the N64 controller was one of the very first mainstream analog controllers. Had it not been for the N64 controller, there would be no dualshock. Just because controllers today don't use a 3-handle design doesn't mean the N64 controller was bad or that it wasn't influential.
>I don't even know what to say.
I do. I repeat: you're incapable of effectively using a controller better than a small child. You're literally admitting to it. There's no way around this.

>> No.4260205

>>4260203
>I think you're convinced that the only reason anyone would ever dislike something is because they don't know how to use it.
Not in every case, but in this particular case, absolutely. There is nothing about the N64 controller that is inherently awkward or difficult to use compared to any other controller. Therefore, if it is really such a terrible experience for you, you clearly aren't very good at using it.

>> No.4260207

>>4260204
>Just because controllers today don't use a 3-handle design doesn't mean the N64 controller was bad or that it wasn't influential.
Yes it does lmao. N64 was not the first to use a stick as a way to control movement on a game.

>> No.4260210

>>4260207
>dude nobody uses typewriters anymore, that means they weren't influential
Holy shit you really are a full-blown retard.
>N64 was not the first to use a stick as a way to control movement on a game.
>conflating "first to use" with "first to do well"
Typical Sony pony goalposting.

>> No.4260214

>>4260204
Good lord you're triple downing on your assessment that the controller is perfect and anyone who doesn't like its design is literally incapable of using it.

You are actually doing this. You aren't even joking, are you, you actually believe it. Is there even a term for a fanboy so rabid he lives in his own reality?

>> No.4260215

>>4260210
Bad use of analogies right there

>> No.4260216

>>4260204
You don't seem to grasp the fact that we're not talking about influences or which came first, but about which controller is more universal, and that the 64 controller is rather situational, because of what you said here:
>>4260113
>a controller that was perfect for almost any kind of game

>> No.4260218

>>4260216
I don't think that anon is able to grasp anything
He's just attacking back like an animal that's been cornered
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
lmao

>> No.4260219

>>4260214
>Good lord you're triple downing on your assessment that the controller is perfect and anyone who doesn't like its design is literally incapable of using it
It's a good controller that anyone who isn't a total retard should be able to use without any complaints. The simple fact is this: I'm able to play any game on the console with this controller and never once does it negatively impact my experience. You, conversely, are incapable of doing this by your own admission. If you weren't shit at using the controller, you wouldn't be having problems with it. I don't know what else to tell you.

>> No.4260220

>>4260219
>by your own admission
there's 35 posters in here and anon thinks there's only one person arguing with him lmao

>> No.4260223

>>4260216
>You don't seem to grasp the fact that we're not talking about influences or which came first, but about which controller is more universal, and that the 64 controller is rather situational, because of what you said here:
Except you're treating this like a fact and it isn't. The N64 controller is not "situational", that's a retarded word to even apply to this scenario. There's nothing "situational" about it. It's not a fucking swiss army knife.

>> No.4260225

>>4260220
kids this is what happens when you drop a baby on its head
he acts like a fucking retard manchild creating arguments with himself

>> No.4260226

>>4260223
>There's nothing "situational" about it. It's not a fucking swiss army knife
TOPKEK
This thread has me in tears

>> No.4260227

>>4260225
>he acts like a fucking retard manchild creating arguments with himself
Lmao what does this even mean? "creating arguments with himself". Stop eating paint chips dude.

>> No.4260228

>>4260219
You're so blinded by rage that you're arguing against made up shit. Nobody here said they had trouble playing n64 games with the n64 controller. What was said was that most of those n64 games can be played better with another more universal controller, and that the n64 controller would suck for pretty much any game that wasn't made with it in mind.

>> No.4260229

Include me in the screencap

>> No.4260230

>>4260228
this is exactly what I meant when I said
>>4260173
>m8 i don't think anyone here commented on how hard it was to use? or did I miss something?

And then he got butthurt when I told him I wasn't the anon he was arguing with

>>4260190 (You)
Then don't respond like you're the person I've been talking to the entire time, retard. Just say "not that anon" or something if it bothers you so much. Lurk more.

>> No.4260231

>>4260223
You said it was perfect for almost any kind of game though. You know what's perfect for almost any kind of game? The standard used now by virtually every system, even nintendo ones: Two handles, two analogs, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, one d-pad. The N64 even needed you to hold one controller on each hand to play some games to their fullest potential.

>> No.4260234

>>4260228
>Nobody here said they had trouble playing n64 games with the n64 controller
How many times do I have to explain this? You don't need to "say" anything. Anyone who says the controller is shit is indirectly admitting that they have trouble playing with it, because if they didn't, there wouldn't be a reason to shit on it. I can't make this any simpler for you to understand.
>What was said was that most of those n64 games can be played better with another more universal controller, and that the n64 controller would suck for pretty much any game that wasn't made with it in mind.
>. What was said was that most of those n64 games can be played better with another more universal controller, and that the n64 controller would suck for pretty much any game that wasn't made with it in mind.
And yet I have no problem using it for any game on the console, even ports that weren't "made with it in mind". Could you make it any more obvious that you have trouble using the controller?

>> No.4260236

>>4260218
eh cringey

>> No.4260237
File: 60 KB, 630x300, meds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260237

anon i think you forgot your meds.
look into one of these, it might help you keep track.

>> No.4260242

>>4260237
>reddit-tier insult
You need to go back now.

>> No.4260247

i like mario 64

>> No.4260250

>>4260242
Not that anon but the reddit comeback is so old

>> No.4260251

>>4260231
>The N64 even needed you to hold one controller on each hand to play some games to their fullest potential.
Yeah no, it didn't. If you were playing an FPS, you could use the dpad for movement and analog stick for aiming and it's practically no different from dual analog. Statements like this only continue to confirm that you can't use the controller properly.

>> No.4260253

>>4260234
Anyone who says the controller is shit is directly admitting that they think the controller is shit. Take your meds.

>And yet I have no problem using it for any game on the console, even ports that weren't "made with it in mind".
That's great and all, but those ports are still better played with a standard controller, you haven't disproven this.

>> No.4260254

>>4260250
>Not that anon but the reddit comeback is so old
I'm a different anon and this is not a "comeback", I'm just letting him know that "haha u need meds xD" is literally the kind of thing a 15 year old on reddit says.

>> No.4260257

>>4260254
So you go on Reddit then?

>> No.4260259

>>4260254
Great to know you're so well-versed on reddit culture.
>I'm a different anon
Sure.

>> No.4260260

>>4260253
>Anyone who says the controller is shit is directly admitting that they think the controller is shit. Take your meds
No, you're voicing your incorrect opinion that the controller is shit. You are, however, admitting that you are shit at using it.
>That's great and all, but those ports are still better played with a standard controller, you haven't disproven this.
Yeah like all the multiplats on the PS1 that don't even support analog lmao.

>> No.4260263

>>4260251
The retard is obviously thinking of Perfect Dark which says more about the insane level of control input customization in that game than anything.

>> No.4260265

>>4260251
If I were playing an FPS with a different controller I could just, you know, use two analogs.

>> No.4260267

>>4260257
Yeah I do actually. Posting dead baby pictures on /r/abortion is good clean fun.

>> No.4260268

>>4260265
>If I were playing an FPS with a different controller I could just, you know, use two analogs.
Lmao and yet again, if you weren't shit at using the method I just described, you wouldn't need to. Also if you're playing another console of the era, you'd be playing an FPS with a fucking d-pad and shoulder buttons or maybe a completely retarded control scheme like that found in Quake 2 on PS1. Or maybe you're just satisfied playing shitty movie games like Alien: Resurrection.

>> No.4260270

>ITT: assblasted Sonyggers have a panic attack after being told they suck at games

>> No.4260271

>>4260251
>you could use the dpad for movement and analog stick for aiming and it's practically no different from dual analog
>it's practically no different from dual analog
WHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
N64fags are so delusional

>> No.4260272

>>4260159
Majority of these games are shit desu

>> No.4260275

>>4260272
This desu

>> No.4260276

>>4260260
>No, you're voicing your incorrect opinion that the controller is shit.
Look back through the reply chain and you won't find me saying that the controller is shit. What I've been saying is that a standard dual analog works well for almost any kind of game, while there are very few games that are better played with a N64 controller than a dual analog one. You haven't disproven this.

>> No.4260278

>>4260272
>Majority of these games are shit desu
Let's hear your 5 favorite games of all time. If you can't provide that, your opinion is meaningless.

>> No.4260285

>>4260276
>Look back through the reply chain and you won't find me saying that the controller is shit.
>Anyone who says the controller is shit is directly admitting that they think the controller is shit.
LOL. Yeah, you're totally not saying the controller is shit, you're just "clarifying" the opinion of the masses right? Come on dude, stop being retarded.
>What I've been saying is that a standard dual analog works well for almost any kind of game, while there are very few games that are better played with a N64 controller than a dual analog one. You haven't disproven this.
Look, let me make this simple. I'm not saying that dual analog is somehow bad or worse than the N64 controller, or that a dual analog controller can't be as good or better than the N64 controller. I'm simply saying that it's a good controller and anyone who calls themself a real gamer shouldn't have any problem using it to play any kind of game. Now if you (and by you, I mean anyone) tell me "well, I think it's shit and I don't like to use it", all I can ascertain from this statement is that the person is inexperienced or unwilling to become accustomed to it.

>> No.4260286

>>4260268
Anon I beat 007 Nightfire on the gba. Ever played that shit? Yeah you can get used to that control scheme and learn to use it well but that doesn't make it ideal for FPSs.
You keep avoiding the topic, if given the choice to play an FPS with either a dual analog or a n64 controller nobody is going to pick the latter, except you maybe just so you can show those guys on the internet.
You ARE going to nitpick something about this post or call me a retard/bad at games instead of addressing the real topic, I'm sure.

>> No.4260287
File: 1.85 MB, 220x220, okayretard.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260287

>>4260271
>indirectly shitting on WASD movement

>> No.4260289

>>4260278
nah you're just gonna say they're shit. i'm not giving you that satisfaction. but trust me majority of those games are shit. it's like you googled all games released on n64 and pasted them here.

>> No.4260291

>>4260286
>Anon I beat 007 Nightfire on the gba. Ever played that shit? Yeah you can get used to that control scheme and learn to use it well but that doesn't make it ideal for FPSs.
You're comparing a fucking handheld with nothing but a dpad to a controller with grips, an analog stick, a trigger/should buttons and a large dpad. You seriously don't even realize the retardation inherent in this comparison, do you? I get it, "you can become accustomed to anything, that doesn't mean it's good!", yadda yadda. But that's not the point. The point is that there's nothing "bad" about the N64 controller to begin with. Would it be nice to have two analog sticks? Of course, but that doesn't mean it's at all difficult to use a dpad and one analog.

>> No.4260293

>>4260291
>The point is that there's nothing "bad" about the N64 controller to begin with
yes there is

>> No.4260294

>>4260285
>anyone who calls themself a real gamer shouldn't have any problem using it to play any kind of game.
There are many (console) games that are literally impossible to play with it. Many games simply need two analogs and more buttons. And if you're going to complain that those are mostly non-retro games, well, the dualshock can play them. The 64 controller is not "perfect for almost any kind of game", that's all there is to it.

>> No.4260295

>>4260289
>nah you're just gonna say they're shit. i'm not giving you that satisfaction. but trust me majority of those games are shit. it's like you googled all games released on n64 and pasted them here.
Lmfao I knew it. Look at this retard and laugh. You baselessly call an entire list of games shit with no argument and then you're too pussy to post a list of games you prefer on an anonymous message board LOL. Just like I thought, you're a fucking shitbird.

>> No.4260296

>>4260291
anon were you beat up a lot as a kid for being the way you are?

>> No.4260297

>>4260294
>There are many (console) games that are literally impossible to play with it
Oh yeah? Like what?
> And if you're going to complain that those are mostly non-retro games, well, the dualshock can play them
Yes anon, in a theoretical world where the PS1 actually had games that supported the dualshock and didn't have assbackwards control schemes, the dualshock wouldn't be shit.
>The 64 controller is not "perfect for almost any kind of game", that's all there is to it.
Nope. Wrong.

>> No.4260298

>>4260296
>anon were you beat up a lot as a kid for being the way you are?
>I don't like what you're saying so I'll pretend you got beat up in high school
lmao

>> No.4260301

>>4260297
>Nope. Wrong.
Explain.

>> No.4260306

>>4260301
>Explain.
What more do you want me to explain? There isn't a single game or genre of game which the N64 controller couldn't be played with. Shooters, platformers, racers, RPGs, adventure games, fighters... what the fuck is so revolutionary that the N64 couldn't keep up with?

>> No.4260319

>>4260297
>>4260306
Even if you're going to move the goalposts and change "almost any kind of game" to "almost any kind of game 5th gen and earlier", the n64 controller still can't play Ape Escape.

>> No.4260321

>>4260298
Nah its more the way youre going about things desu

>> No.4260324

>>4260321
>Nah its more the way youre going about things desu
So I suppose we can safely assume you were molested given how butthurt you are about the N64.

>> No.4260325

>>4260295
Lol i was just mimicking you
>>4260149 #
What do you want me to tell you? You're arguing from a point of ignorance. If I make a list of say, 20 awesome games, you're just going to cherrypick a few you either don't know or dislike and then tell me how they're all shit.

>> No.4260329

>>4260325
>Lol i was just mimicking you
If you were mimicking me, you'd actually post a list of games instead of being a vagina. Clearly you wouldn't do that though, because you're just an upset Sony baby and looking for ways to take cheap shots at the N64.

Also, learn how to use greentext you stupid fuck.

>> No.4260332

>>4260319
>Even if you're going to move the goalposts and change "almost any kind of game" to "almost any kind of game 5th gen and earlier"
Ironically you've been the sole one moving goalposts during the course of this conversation. When I said "any kind of game" I was assuming that you weren't so retarded as to think I was talking about games that aren't even on the fucking console. Clearly I was wrong. Regardless though, nothing made today would be unplayable with the N64 controller, nor would Ape Escape. Why you even chose that as an example is beyond me as it would be perfectly easy to do on the N64.

>> No.4260413

>>4260324
I'm not butthurt about the N64 lol. I think you've got me confused with a different anon. Looks like you've been doing that quite a bit here.

>> No.4260426

>>4260413
>I'm not butthurt about the N64 lol. I think you've got me confused with a different anon. Looks like you've been doing that quite a bit here
Lmao no, I don't have you confused with anyone -- there are just a lot of retards in this thread that are butthurt about being told they suck at games and having their precious PS1 JRPGs insulted. You being one of them. If you weren't butthurt, you wouldn't be saying gay things like "you must have gotten beat up a lot" lmfao. That's literally something that an upset faggot child says when he has no argument. Sorry, the truth hurts bud.

>> No.4260428

>>4260103
I think you mean texture filtering, texture mapping refers to the placement of the texture pixels onto 3d polygons. While filtering refers to the smoothing or blurring of textures to reduce pixelation when texture pixels are larger than screen pixels. And to be honest I think N64 3d graphics have aged better than psx or saturn thanks to the fact that it did have texture filtering.

It gives it that hardware accelerated look of early 3d PC games with graphics card support compared to software rendering which looked like crap to be honest. Although at one point in time it had performance benefits if you had a semi fast cpu and wanted to play half-life but your gpu was a turd.

>> No.4260430

>>4260426
Wut? I have nothing against the n64 or the controller.

>> No.4260432

>>4260104
For some reason a lot of my friends had trouble trying Mario 64 when it came out as they couldn't wrap their head around the concept that you Marios movement with the stick was in relation to the camera angle.

They didn't understand why Mario didn't move forward if they pushed the stick up and the camera was at an angle.

I though it was very intuitive to be honest.

>> No.4260437
File: 21 KB, 468x320, Metal-Gear-Solid-Snake-and-Meryl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260437

>>4260428
>And to be honest I think N64 3d graphics have aged better than psx or saturn thanks to the fact that it did have texture filtering.
Agreed. I don't understand where the "dude blur lmao" meme comes from. Ironically, I find that most PS1/Saturn games actually look more blurry because they look like an indecipherable mess of jagged pixels. Faces look particularly bad. Compared to say, Link's face in Ocarina of Time, it isn't even a contest which looks better.

Honestly, I really hate the PS1 graphics. Saturn is a little better, largely because it had many great 2D games, or games that blended 2D and 3D elements, but just look at pic related. Holy fucking shit that looks bad. Crooked lines, jaggies galore, wobbling polygons, messy textures. Just awful.

>> No.4260441

>>4260195
You seem to forget the playstation controllers roots. It's a snes controller with two more shoulder buttons. And later two analogue sticks tacked on to 'one-up' Nintendo with their 1 analogue stick on the N64 with rumble built in once again due to Nintendos rumble pack.

>> No.4260442

>>4260441
I guess Sony improved what Nintendo failed to do with the N64 controller.

>> No.4260447

>>4260442
LOL yeah the N64 controller was such shit that Sony decided to copy them. What a retard.

>> No.4260449

>>4260294
You seem to forget that the king of FPS controls (keyboard+mouse) uses digital keys for movement, essentially no different than a Dpad, ie. Analogue for movement in FPS really isn't required.

>> No.4260450

>>4260447
>LOL yeah the N64 controller was such shit that Sony decided to copy them.
Yeah that's pretty much what I said

>> No.4260451

>>4260450
Oh okay, I didn't realize you purposely being retarded.

>> No.4260453

>>4260451
Learn to english m8

>> No.4260454

>>4260453
>Learn to english m8
It's called a typo, I guess you were too stupid to figure that out also.

>> No.4260456

>>4260449
Don't bother, this was already explained to him ad nauseum. He's just upset because he doesn't like being reminded that he fails at using a controller designed for 7 year olds.

>> No.4260459

>>4260442
>I guess Sony improved what Nintendo failed to do with the N64 controller.
>copied two generations of Nintendo controllers and still couldn't get them to work right with 90% of their games
lmao this is what the mind one suffering from autism actually believes

>> No.4260724
File: 912 KB, 480x360, thi reds.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4260724

If you struggle to use the camera or movement in SM64 you literally are a trashcan at the game. Everything in the game works with perfect consistency.

>> No.4260759

>>4256127
I don't hate it, I just find it extremely over rated.

Any Zelda, or mario gets an immediate 10/10 without any justification by retards.

>> No.4261705

Worst Mario game

>> No.4261708

>>4260159
Most of these games have not aged well

>> No.4261713

>>4261708
>not aged well
>aged
Just stop

>> No.4261715

>>4256127
i legit thought this game was alot of fun.

>> No.4261723

>>4256127
My first 3D game, also my favorite. I played it for 4 years straight after I got it.

>> No.4261734

>>4260459
The N64 controller was the worst controller in console history.

>> No.4261735

>>4260159
n64 games were really not that great (except for a handful in this list).

>> No.4261739

>>4260759
>Any Zelda, or mario gets an immediate 10/10 without any justification by retards.
Lol this. So far ITT retards are justifying it by personal attacks rather than why it's a 10/10

>> No.4261745

>>4257206
gay ass opinion but ok

>> No.4261749

>>4261734
The N64 was comfortable, but the layout was illogical.

>> No.4261750

>>4261739
Nintendrones are the blindest sheep in existence who can't handle the fact Doom and Halo shit on their kiddie ass games.

>> No.4261782

>>4261745
>gay ass opinion
Not really, that anon's not wrong. Everything about Mario 64 is overrated tbqh. Odyssey is going to be shit too.

>> No.4261809

>>4256127
This game has low replay value. I've beaten the game and never really picked this game up ever again because of how disappointing it is. Many of the levels are not as fun to play as and some of the levels are pretty bad

>> No.4261814
File: 1.51 MB, 480x360, shockinglifts.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4261814

>>4261809
>This game has low replay value
It has more replay value than literally any other Mario game because your freedom in movement directly scales with your movement skill, which improves upon consecutive playthroughs. It's the perfect parkour sandbox; the possibilities are endless.

>> No.4261817

Do you think a Mario game on N64 would've been good if Nintendo hadn't stolen the idea for a 3D platformer from Argonaut's Yoshi prototype?

>> No.4261819

>>4261817
Do you honestly think Croc Legend of the Gobbos play anything at all like Mario 64?

>> No.4261835

People praise this game for what it did, and fair enough. But comparing it to some other platformers of the same era; the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, the Spyro games, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, this game is shit

>> No.4261840

>>4261819
Where did I imply that?

Shiggy has stated he got the idea to make 3D Mario from Argonaut, I was wondering how it would've turned out if the yoshi prototype had never given him that inspiration. I bet it would've played more like the NES games, linear and time-based instead of sandbox and collection-based. I think a classic style N64 Mario would've been better, the direction SM64 went in was shit.

>> No.4261843

has anyone attempted a 1st person camera patch for 64?

>> No.4261851

>>4261817
>Do you think a Mario game on N64 would've been good if Nintendo hadn't stolen the idea for a 3D platformer from Argonaut's Yoshi prototype?
Oh boy, this fucking meme again. This is worse than those Jumping Flash faggots with an SM64 inferiority complex. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Miyamoto had been working with the idea of a 3D Mario game long before Argonaut's terrible Yoshi game. Moreover, even if Miyamoto was "inspired" by Argonauts ideas, it doesn't make a fucking difference. Look at Croc, that game is a piece of shit. Miyamoto actually made a decent game. At the end of the day, Argonaut didn't do shit and Nintendo did, end of story.

>> No.4261862

>>4261851
>you'd know that Miyamoto had been working with the idea of a 3D Mario game long before Argonaut's terrible Yoshi game.
Citation needed.

>Look at Croc, that game is a piece of shit. Miyamoto actually made a decent game. At the end of the day, Argonaut didn't do shit and Nintendo did, end of story.
Not an argument, and doesn't excuse how Nintendo treated Argonaut like shit despite their contributions to the assholes at Nintendo.

Also, you sound like a Nintendo fanboy for getting so defensive over nothing.

>> No.4261873

>>4261862
>Citation needed.
This isn't a research paper retard, I don't need to account for your ignorance. Look up "Super Mario FX", literally a fucking prototype of SM64 produced years before the faggots at Argonaut even pitched Nintendo their shitty idea. The only "proof" of Miyamoto ripping off Argonaut is some salty faggot from the company saying he did.
>Not an argument, and doesn't excuse how Nintendo treated Argonaut like shit despite their contributions to the assholes at Nintendo.
The "argument" is that you are both A) wrong, and B) missing the point. Even if Miyamoto stole an idea, the end result is that he actually took it and made a good game, whereas the retards at Argonaut made budget-bin trash. But again, your entire argument is predicated upon the words of an employee from a defunct game company, so what do you know?
>Also, you sound like a Nintendo fanboy for getting so defensive over nothing.
I have no horse in this race, I'm just sick of retards perpetuating untrue memes about good games because they're assblasted about not getting to play them as children.

>> No.4261875

>>4261835
those games are all awful and shallow compared to 64

>> No.4261880

>>4261835
>Crash Bandicoot trilogy
Lmao. Crash is complete shit. One of the most mundane, derivative platformers in existence with some of the worst music and aesthetics known to man, particularly the music in the first one. Holy fuck that game is terrible.

>> No.4261892

>>4261873
You sure sound mad that there's a possibility that your beloved Nintendo isn't quite as innovative as you want them to seem. And I played SM64 on release and thought it was mediocre even back then, the 2D Marios had far superior gameplay and level designs. I'm sorry Mario 64 was your first exposure to 3D and that's why you put it on a pedestal, but you should put aside nostalgia and realise it isn't that great.

>Even if Miyamoto stole an idea, the end result is that he actually took it and made a good game, whereas the retards at Argonaut made budget-bin trash.
No, you don't get it. Just because you like Mario 64 more than Croc doesn't excuse Nintendo for stealing the concept. This wouldn't be the last time they did that either, they also stole code for Star Fox 64 and gave no profits back to Argonaut. I'm glad such a scumbag company is crashing and burning as of late.

>Super Mario FX
How much of that was even developed? And how do you know it was started before AS pitched the Yoshi game?

>> No.4261906

>>4261892
>You sure sound mad that there's a possibility that your beloved Nintendo isn't quite as innovative as you want them to seem.
You sure seem reluctanct to accept that your beloved Argonaut didn't somehow influence Super Mario 64.
>seem. And I played SM64 on release and thought it was mediocre even back then, the 2D Marios had far superior gameplay and level designs.
Yeah okay, I get it, you're a faggot. Moving on.
>sorry Mario 64 was your first exposure to 3D and that's why you put it on a pedestal, but you should put aside nostalgia and realise it isn't that great
Ironically SM64 isn't even one of my favorite games, nor was it my first exposure to 3D. Banjo-Kazooie is vastly better. But SM64 is still good and if you're going to say something blatantly retarded I'm going to call you out on it.
>No, you don't get it. Just because you like Mario 64 more than Croc doesn't excuse Nintendo for stealing the concept. This wouldn't be the last time they did that either, they also stole code for Star Fox 64 and gave no profits back to Argonaut.
Uh no friend, I don't think you get it. As I just explained, there is verifiable proof that Nintendo was developing a 3D precursor to SM64 long before Argonaut ever got involved, so this line about "Nintendo stealing Argonaut's concept" is dead wrong. The point I'm making is that even in an alternate universe where Nintendo did steal their idea, it wouldn't make a difference because the idea would have been shit without Nintendo making it their own, as evidenced by how terrible Croc is. Long story short, Nintendo didn't steal shit, they made a better game than Argonaut did, and you are wrong.
> I'm glad such a scumbag company is crashing and burning as of late.
I agree, Nintendo sucks now. Sadly you are still incorrect about the subject at hand and purposely being retarded.
>How much of that was even developed?
Just look at the fucking name. Why do you think it was called Super Mario FX? It started out as a SNES title.

>> No.4261907

The retards defending mario 64 claim it's perfect purely because of the nostalgia.

>> No.4261913

>>4261907
Super Mario 64 is a disappointing overrated game that does not live up to all those glowing biased reviews out there. In that same token, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario are not the worst games or worst Mario titles (if you played the educational games or Hotel Mario you will understand). I find myself bored with this game and I cannot believe people love this underwhelming as if it was god. This game is not really a horrible game, but it fails to justify the massive praise that is tied to these games.

>> No.4261914

>>4261907
>The retards defending mario 64 claim it's perfect purely because of the nostalgia.
I don't think it's perfect, but saying it's a bad game or that it wasn't highly influential are both retarded statements.

>> No.4261949

>>4261914
Being influential doesnt make it a good game

>> No.4261952

>>4261814
It does have some replay value with the slide levels and the red coin missions, but other than that, there really isn't much in the way of replay value.

>> No.4261960

>>4261952
Did you even read my post?

>> No.4261962

>>4261949
nice reading comprehension retard.

>> No.4261965

SM64’s big weakness; it’s not fun to play. Running around looking for stars is quite boring, The bosses are also boring, and the music makes it even more drag. There are just a few levels (about 15) that makes it not varying, and with just those levels to play, you will get bored. The only fun in the game is playing against Koopa at the end. I hate the snow-worlds and the water-worlds. Swimming around under the surface takes so long time and gliding on the ground is annoying). I know some of you enjoy playing SM64 out there even if i can’t see why.

>> No.4262001

>>4261914
Saying it's a good game is a retarded statement

>> No.4262007
File: 101 KB, 1280x720, nintenfags.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262007

ITT

>> No.4262020

>>4256127
Overrated, overhyped, and outclassed

>> No.4262026

>>4261907
>purely because of the nostalgia
/thread

>> No.4262031 [DELETED] 

Why are Nintentoddlers allowed on this board? They're a fucking embarrassment and make real mature gamers like me look bad for even occupying the same board as me.

>b-but Nintendo excelled at making platformers!

Bullshit, Nintendo didn't excel at one god damn thing. I take that back, actually. They excel at one thing. Nintendo excels at being for babies and man children who run away when they see blood because they are immature babyfags and can't handle a deep, dark, serious game like I can. Sega and Sony had games that reflected the inner darkness of my soul from having two Christmases since my parents were divorced, while Nintendo did kiddy shit because nintentoddlers are fucking babies who never had to rough it in high school like real people, like me, who had to deal with bullies and preppy douchebags since they didn't understand my real power...

>> No.4262037

>>4261962
>nice reading comprehension
thanks m9

>> No.4262051

>>4260724

Lol. That webm you posted proves yourself wrong. The camera after he gets #7 is so bad that jumping to #8 is only possible because he memorized the jump.

>> No.4262056

>>4261750

Halo is the ultimate kiddie game though.

>> No.4262057

>>4256393
>tfw this misunderstanding is old enough to buy you a drink

>> No.4262061

>>4261814
>>4261960

Not everyone wants to be an autistic speedrunner.

>> No.4262070
File: 4 KB, 305x165, images(2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262070

>>4260186
>A real gamer
>Nintendo

>> No.4262083

>>4262070
>haha guys i only play sony consoles, nintendo is for babies haha xD

>> No.4262084
File: 24 KB, 594x516, images(4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262084

>>4261814

>> No.4262103

>>4262083
>nintendo is for babies
This is true

>> No.4262105

>>4262070
KEK

>> No.4262120

>>4260724
Don't even get me started on the camera, which is horrible to say the least. It's okay sometimes, but there are many times where it obstructs your view. This was obviously a problem in Sunshine, and to a much lesser extent in Galaxy (it's almost perfect here). In Mario 64, the fact that you can only move your camera in a few directions instead of a free-flowing camera is just ludicrous. The game only lets you move the camera in a few pre-defined settings. Why restrict the player for? Sometimes the game won't even let you move the camera, even when you DESPERATELY need to. As far as I could tell, it takes no extra coding or space to allow a free-flowing camera. This was a terrible design choice.
There are also times when you move the camera, and yet the camera moves back into its original position. Holy cow... just HOLD! I don't know why, but the camera tries to give you these weird angles to walk towards things, especially when the platform is very thin. It's like the game WANTS you to press the analog stick on an angle instead of straight, to encourage you to fall off! Why? Why couldn't the game just position the camera so I can move the way I want to?! You see, walking straight on angle is hard to do in this game – you have to move slowly to do it reliably.

>> No.4262127

>>4260724
The camera is bad. The angles you are given in most areas become a hindrance and make most missions unacceptably difficult to complete. Adjusting the camera angle becomes a pain. Most of the time you will need to alter the angle so you can make your life easier. However, this becomes old fast and most times you might ignore changing the camera. Not to mention, you can't change the camera in certain areas. There is no reason why I should be given a bad camera angle in a 3D platforming game. Being given a bad camera angle is what made me die a lot in this game. I know this game comes from an earlier generation, but give me a break. The camera is all around bad.

>> No.4262381

This game was shit

>> No.4262458

>>4262061>>4262120
>In Mario 64, the fact that you can only move your camera in a few directions instead of a free-flowing camera is just ludicrous.
R+C-down.

You people are so fucking bad at games lmao.

>> No.4262459

>>4262458
wouldn't that center the camera behind mario

>> No.4262475

>>4262458
You'll defend this game to your dying breath. But this game is still shit.

>> No.4262476

>>4262459
KEK it does actually

>> No.4262506

>>4262475
Being terrible at a game doesn't make the game shit, anon.

>> No.4262507

lol why are people so pissed off at the camera?
don't you remember what shitty cameras the other 3d games of the time had? when it came out everybody loved how much work they put into making the preset camera angles since it helped make it feel so much more platformy.

did everybody get ruined by fps and third-person camera controls that they won't accept anything else? or are all you guys complaining about it just underage?

>> No.4262510

>>4262506
Poor graphics, bad soundtrack, shocking camera and a boring story do. Which is why this game was a failure.

>> No.4262517

>>4256347
>reddit spacing
stop
>>4256127
Literally the best 3D platformer ever made.

>> No.4262524

i think the people who hate this game never played it on an n64 and their only exposure to it is with emulators and probably something like an xbox controller which is not suitable for N64 emulation. worse yet they might have attempted playing it with keyboard since hey if they could play through the early mario games on nes and snes on emulators with keyboard and it was fine, but n64 emulation actually requires a real n64 controller with adapter to be mildly enjoyable.

>> No.4262542

The n64 controller was one of the worst controllers in history. Not the worst but its definitely in the top 3.

>> No.4262546

>>4262524
no, it was just a bad game t b h

>> No.4262601

>>4262510
>Poor graphics
They're fine.
>bad soundtrack
Repetitive, but otherwise fine.
>shocking camera
Unintuitive, but perfectly consistent with itself. Very easy to learn how to use properly.
>boring story
Who gives a living fuck about the story in a platforming game? You can't be serious right now.

>> No.4262605

>>4262510
>poor graphics
>boring story
Lmao... story in a fucking platformer, who cares? Also, at the time it was better looking than anything released on any console, and the cartoonish stylizatio has allowed it to age better than almost anything else, too. I'm not even the biggest fan of the game but this is pure retardation on your end.

>> No.4262624

The storyline is the same old paper-thin Bowser kidnaps Peach dilemma. Overdone and not developed but the same goes for the other Mario platformers so it does not really affect the game as bad as the gameplay and camera.

>> No.4262669

>>4262624
>the gameplay and camera.
Which are both adequate to fantastic. If you have a problem with the movement controls in this game you might legitimately have a neurological disorder.

>> No.4262675

>>4262051
>The camera after he gets #7 is so bad that jumping to #8 is only possible because he memorized the jump.
Why would it only be possible if he memorized the jump? You can literally see that platform in full view between coins 3 to 5.

So yes, I guess you're right, he memorized it from when he saw it 3 seconds ago.

>> No.4262678

>>4262675
the people here have no spatial awareness, it's why they're stuck in their 2d world and can't comprehend how anything in 3d would work without a direct 3rd person follow cam.

>> No.4262682

>>4261965

This is literally the worst b8 in /vg/ history

>> No.4262685

>>4262678
See >>4262127

>> No.4262687

>>4262685
Yes, I'm aware of the complaints of the sm64 cam, and I think almost all of them are founded in people who are too retarded either a) learn how to actually use the camera or b) understand how to navigate a 3d world without the camera being directly behind the character.

>> No.4262690

>>4262687
or c) the game is trash

>> No.4262697

>>4262690
No, the game is fine. It's one of the most critically acclaimed titles ever released. The problem seems to be with a subset of stupid people, not with the game itself.

>> No.4262698
File: 1.30 MB, 245x245, 06a.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262698

>>4262669
>Which are both adequate to fantastic

>> No.4262701

>>4262697
>The problem seems to be with a subset of stupid people, not with the game itself
No I'm pretty sure it's the game itself. Have you been reading this thread? Jesus, lurk moar.

>> No.4262706

>>4262701
>No I'm pretty sure it's the game itself.
No, it's definitely stupid people. The game works fine when I play it.

>> No.4262709

>>4262706
But what if you were the stupid one for putting in so much time and effort to git gud at something that was poorly desgined?

>> No.4262717

>>4262709
kek

>> No.4262719

>>4262709
>so much time and effort
It takes like 4 or 5 hours to get 120 stars, and I've done that 3 or 4 times.

"Time and effort" must mean something much different to you than it does for me.

>> No.4262723

>>4262719
Don't bother with him dude, this is clearly a degenerate Sony dickrider who probably masturbates to a picture of Ken Kutaragi he has taped to the ceiling over his bed. SM64 is not a perfect game and it has a shit ton of flaws, but literally only someone that is mentally retarded, extremly young or motivated by enraged bias would claim that the game is shit or wasn't influential. Everybody knows that by now, you're just wasting your time.

>> No.4262724

>>4262719
>It takes like 4 or 5 hours to get 120 stars, and I've done that 3 or 4 times
Jesus christ. Are you serious? You actually suck at Mario 64 man. It takes me way shorter than that.

>> No.4262726

>>4262719
Lmao. 4 or 5 hours. Git gud m9.

>> No.4262728

>>4262724
>It takes me way shorter than that.
>the world record for a hyper-autist that probably devoted half of his life to playing the game is a little under 2 hours
>claims to not even invest time in the game
Something is fishy here...

>> No.4262729

>>4262723
>SM64 is not a perfect game and it has a shit ton of flaws
Fucking thank you. This is what I've been trying to say this entire time.
/thread

>> No.4262730

>>4262724
>It takes me way shorter than that.
No it doesn't.

>> No.4262734
File: 133 KB, 500x522, 555.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262734

>>4262730
>can't handle that i'm better at mario 64 than him

>> No.4262735

>>4262734
I could handle it for sure. Plenty of people are better than me.

I just don't believe you specifically.

>> No.4262737

>>4262735
>Plenty of people are better than me
I don't doubt this at all. I mean in general, not just in Mario 64.

>> No.4262740

>>4262734
Just let it go dude lol the bait couldn't be any more obvious. This guy probably grew up playing Trash Bandicoot and is still eternally upset that his Latino parents couldn't afford an N64 to give him on Christmas day.

>> No.4262741

>>4262737
Yes, that's how life works sweetie.

>> No.4262751

>>4262740
>Bandicoot
Jesus fuck. That game was just as bad as Mario 64. ITT people with bad tastes in games.

>> No.4262758

>>4262741
It's a shame isn't it.

>> No.4262771
File: 43 KB, 456x524, 3acd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262771

>>4262740
>he thinks Crash Bandicoot is worse than mario64
>/pol/ tier insult

>> No.4262797

>>4262771
Crash is one of the worst platformers I've ever played with some ungodly terrible music. I knew it was going to be a shit game when the same music kept playing all the way from the startup screen until the end of the first level, and boy is it terrible. Like some kind of low quality looney tunes shit. Not to mention the bland environments with all of about 3 palettes, the laughable bosses, lack of secrets and replayability, the stale gameplay that never changes or throws new mechanics into the mix, awful audio/visual feedback when you kill enemies, everything. If you actually like this game you are fucking stupid.

>> No.4262803

>>4262797
i don't like the game but I don't think it's worse than mario64

>> No.4262805

>>4262803
Yeah, it is. It's a lot worse. I'm not even an SM64 apologist and will gladly admit it had flaws but Crash is just a shit game all around. SM64 actually had replayability, lots of content and secrets to find, nice graphics and art style, good music, etc. My main criticisms would be the relatively directionless nature of the star-hunting that games like Banjo-Kazooie did far better, and a few minor imperfections here and there. But Crash? No, that game is diarrhea.

>> No.4262829

>>4262805
>he thinks banjo-kazooie was a good game

>> No.4262834

>>4262829
It was a good game if you ignore the dozens of tedious, boring ass minigames and the terrible animal transformations.

SM64 is obviously way better for not only omitting bullshit filler like this, but for having better/faster movement mechanics in general.

>> No.4262842

>>4262834
>it was a good game if you ignore the shit parts
do you proof read your posts before submitting them?

>> No.4262843

>>4262829
>>4262834
Shit taste. BK is one of the greatest platformers ever made bar none. Huge beautiful worlds filled with myriad activities that rarely repeat themselves, amazing soundtrack, an awesome hub design, fun combat, lots of secrets and collectibles, a fuckton of different moves to use, the list goes on. It trumps SM64 in just about every way. "Faster" really means jack shit when the core gameplay is tiresome and repetitive. BK never stops throwing new mechanics into the mix from start to finish, every level feels unique and fresh.

>> No.4262852

>>4262842
What part about my post are you struggling with? The world isn't a black and white dichotomy. A single game can have both good qualities and bad qualities and everything in between.

>> No.4262856

>>4262843
BK is more for people who prefer to be dazzled by surface level fluff than it is for people who enjoy the nuances of great mechanics and feel.

SM64 has objectively more movement options than BK does, and your freedom to utilize them scales directly with your skill, which adds many layers of replay value that BK doesn't have.

BK is a simple game that gives off the illusion of being deep. SM64 is the opposite.

>> No.4262862
File: 450 KB, 1008x446, banjo2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262862

>Banjo Kazooie is a good game
Yeah, memorizing which turtles to butt stomp is my idea of great platforming.

>> No.4262863

>>4262856
>BK is more for people who prefer to be dazzled by surface level fluff than it is for people who enjoy the nuances of great mechanics and feel.
No, BK is for people who actually enjoy good design and having fun rather than pretending that the "nuances of great mechanics and feel" can exist within the content of a game that is inherently boring and repetitive. Banjo-Kazooie has you doing so many different things, and the way that the designers were able to take a relatively simple set of core moves/mechanics and apply them to a wide variety of different scenarios to keep the game feeling fresh from start to finish is a testatement to how great the game is.

>SM64 has objectively more movement options than BK does, and your freedom to utilize them scales directly with your skill, which adds many layers of replay value that BK doesn't have
It really doesn't. You have a few types of jumps, a few somersaults and the like, you can climb and swim, that's about it. BK does all of that, and on top of it gives you combat-oriented moves, special moves that are only accessible in certain locations and transformations which give you, in many cases, an entirely new set of moves. SM64 is shallow in comparison and every single level is going to see you doing the same things over and over, a problem BK never has.

>> No.4262864

>>4262852
>A single game can have both good qualities and bad qualities and everything in between
But in the end SM64 and BK were bad games

>> No.4262865

>>4262864
Let's hear your 3 favorite platformers so we can see how shit your taste is.

>> No.4262868

>>4260296
>anon were you beat up a lot as a kid for being the way you are?
I think most of us in /vr/ have had this happen to us at least once in high school

>> No.4262872

>>4256127
The flight controls and camera could've used some work, though the latter wasn't helped by Nintendo's decision to use BUTTONS for camera controls

>> No.4262874

>>4262865
1. Super Metroid
2. Super Castlevania 4
3. Mega Man 2

>> No.4262876

This thread is god awful

>> No.4262878

>>4262874
>1. Super Metroid
Good but not a fucking platformer.
>2. Super Castlevania 4
Trash.
>3. Mega Man 2
Extreme trash.

I commend you for actually putting your tastes on the line but you don't really have any. Clearly you are on oldfag that hates anything deviating from the traditional sidescrolling format so now I understand why you have a bias against 3D platformers.

>> No.4262887

>>4262878
still salty that I'm better at SM64 than you aren't you? lol

>> No.4262891

>>4262887
>still salty that I'm better at SM64 than you aren't you? lol
I'm not even the same guy you were talking to before dude.

>> No.4262892

>>4262872
The POS controller that the N64 came with didn't help either

>> No.4262897

>>4262891
you could've said something earlier

>> No.4262913

>>4262868
Nintendo fanboys = Definitely got beat up in school
Sony fanboys = Less likely to have been bullied in school

I was definitely beat up in school. I used to take my lunch and gameboy to the toilets at recess to avoid human interaction - I never really liked anyone I went to school with.

>> No.4262915
File: 10 KB, 646x817, 456321.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262915

>>4262913

>> No.4262925

ITT people with bad taste in games.

>> No.4262929
File: 17 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262929

>>4262863
>a wide variety of different scenarios
Right, like buttstomping turtles. And buttstomping letters. And buttstomping piano keys. And buttstomping puzzle tiles. And sliding around on letters. And buttstomping whistles.

Boy, the variety is riveting!

>You have a few types of jumps, a few somersaults and the like, you can climb and swim

Single jumping
Double jumping
Triple jumping
Sideflips
Diving
4 frames variable wallkicks (also angle variable)
Longjumping
Slidekicking
Jump height based on momentum (can lead to crazy jump height and/or flight speed if you combine with sliding down a slope)
Rolls that maintain momentum based on the frame you execute the roll
Punching
Kicking (can also double as a type of double jump)
Ground pounding
Speedkicks
Backflips
Flying
Swimming
Chaining together nearly all of the above for literally thousands of possible combo moves, which allows even deeper tech like speedkicks.

off the top of my head. i know there's definitely more i'm not thinking of. you could literally write a novel on the movement possibilities in SM64.

>> No.4262940
File: 137 KB, 600x703, c39.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4262940

>>4262929
>variety of movement makes SM64 a good game

>> No.4262954

>>4262940
In the genre that's literally defined by moving your character, how isn't it?

>> No.4262959

>>4262954
>how
read everything that's been posted in this thread

>> No.4262961

>>4262959
>read all these shit opinions.
>believe them unconditionally.
>be as gullible and mindless as me
lmao

>> No.4262963

>>4262961
>be a mindless blind Nintendrone sheep

>> No.4262967

>>4262963
>read the thread
>mindlessly agree with every opinion
>but you're the sheep.

>> No.4262969

I lent my friend this game years ago and never got it back. Some dude in my area is selling it for $20. Is that a good price?

>> No.4262975

>>4262967
nintendrone logic "no you are"
lmao

>> No.4263019

How is /vr/ this bad at games? I don't even like the game that much; never replayed it once I beat it. But the camera is perfectly fine and easy to learn. What a disgrace you all are.

>> No.4263035

>>4263019
2d babies don't understand spatial awareness. they have autistic seizures when they try to move in a 3d environment without a 1st person or direct follow cam.

>> No.4263041

>>4262929
>Right, like buttstomping turtles. And buttstomping letters. And buttstomping piano keys. And buttstomping puzzle tiles. And sliding around on letters. And buttstomping whistles.
LOL holy shit you are delusional. Almost your entire list is comprised of some variaton of "jump". BK absolutely shits on SM64 in variety. Jumping, super jumps, gliding, climbing, swimming, talon trot, egg shooting, egg bouncing, flying, divebomb attack, wonder wing, claw swipes, rolling attack, pecking attack, backflips, crouching, various powerup boots, not to mention all of the transformations which each give you new abilities. Fuck, you are retarded.

>> No.4263046

>>4262929
>let me just distill an entire game with dozens of different moves and abilities into "buttstomp", that will surely give my argument weight
Yeah and in Mario you jump on enemies, and jump on switches, and jump on moving objects, and uh...

>> No.4263047
File: 1.20 MB, 480x360, tjislandhop.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4263047

>>4263041
>Almost your entire list is comprised of some variaton of "jump"
Same with your list, and your list has less things in it lmao.

SM64 has infinitely more options and freedom in your movement than BK does. And it takes more actual skill and precision to master.

>> No.4263049

>>4263041
>>4263047
let's face it, you both like shit games

>> No.4263052

>>4263041
>Jumping, super jumps, gliding, climbing, swimming, talon trot, egg shooting, egg bouncing, flying, divebomb attack, wonder wing, claw swipes, rolling attack, pecking attack, backflips, crouching, various powerup boots, not to mention all of the transformations which each give you new abilities.
lol at this list of shallow movement options that exist in a vacuum from one another and can't even be combo'd with the exception of maybe rattatat rap and fluttering.

half of those are fucking gimmicks that aren't even relevant to movement too, like egg farting.

>> No.4263054

>>4263047
>And it takes more actual skill and precision to master.
this is why you're a permavirgin

>> No.4263056

>>4263047
>Same with your list, and your list has less things in it lmao.
Yeah see, the difference is that you're just saying that, whereas your list actually IS just composed of nothing but mostly jumps. Gliding, climbing, swimming, talon trot, egg shooting and bouncing, flying, divebomb attacks, wonder wing, claw swipes, rolling attack, pecking, crouching, powerups and transformations have nothing to do with jumping you fucking retard and they offer way more variety than anything in SM64. Also no, there are not "less" things on the list because as I said, each transformation alone offers an entirely new set of moves and abilities. It's pathetic that you are too mentally simple to understand this.
>And it takes more actual skill and precision to master.
LOL good one faggot child.

>> No.4263059

>>4263047
>dat video with a perfect example of BAD level design
Holy crap SM64fags are blind

>> No.4263061

>>4263047
>be OP
>loves SM64
>goes on date
>"so anon, what are you into"
>"I'm really good at SM64, in fact - I've mastered this game"

>> No.4263062

>>4263052
>muh combos
It's a fucking platforming game retard. "Combos" don't mean shit when all it boils down to are different ways to jump.
>half of those are fucking gimmicks that aren't even relevant to movement too, like egg farting.
Yeah because we know how useful shit like slidekicking and punches were in SM64 lmao.

>> No.4263068
File: 957 KB, 540x360, l1YF0Ui.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4263068

>>4263056
So when are you going to post a webm of anyone doing anything interesting or impressive in BK to show off its movement depth that you claim it has?

>> No.4263071

>>4263068
you seriously think that video is impressive or interesting?
jesus christ

>> No.4263075

>>4263059
>freedom in the level scales directly with how good you are at the game
>bad level design
I'm not sure you understand how level design is supposed to work.
>>>4263071
It is impressive and interesting. The fact that the mechanics allow this to be possible are a testament to their depth and complexity. I'm not sure how this is confusing for you.

>> No.4263080
File: 80 KB, 800x450, banjo3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4263080

i love how mad the bk fruitcakes are lmao

i'd be made too if a grew up playing terrible fucking furry games padded to the brim with boring filler content.

>> No.4263090

>>4263075
you sound like a fucken moron lol

>> No.4263091
File: 110 KB, 500x350, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4263091

>oh boy i can't wait to transform into a pumpkin that moves like molasses with no momentum and can only utilize a single button button for half an hour. i'm so stimulated right now OHHH YEAAAAH

>> No.4263098

>>4263075
>The fact that the mechanics allow this to be possible are a testament to their depth and complexity
could you sound any more like a shill

>> No.4263104

>>4263090
>>4263098
BK babies are delusional.

It's not even a bad game, but pretending it has better movement than SM64 is fucking stupid lmao

>> No.4263107

>>4263104
Actually I hate both games you fucken permavirgin

>> No.4263108

>>4256481
I've been a gamer continuously since 1988. I have owned every major console except neogeo, xbone and switch. I have had no friends for most of my life and spent at least 3-7 hours a day playing videogames for that entire time. I only managed to quit once in 2003, but basically guit gaming for the summer and came right back again. I was a wizard for fuck sakes...
On top of all this, the SNES, GameCube, all game boys, Ds and Wii are among my favorite consoles too. So I'm no Nintendo or kiddie game hater.

So when I tell you that Mario 64 was entertaining for an hour and then bolring as shit and repetitive for the next 20 years, I fucking mean it.

I have played both versions of the game, and honestly I spent more than a few hours playing because I wanted to like it. The DS version is less shitty, but that's it. Still boring and repetitive.

Not that I hate it though. I mainly hate fanboys who invalidate other peoples opinions with Moronic generalizations. And n64 fanboys in general who make wild claims about Mario 64 and oot being the best games ever that literally invented every feature they have and all that stupid bullshit.

Honestly, if you like Mario 64, but just say things like "I like it because..." Followed by opinions, I don't care and never will. Good on you.
If you claim things like its the "GREETESTEST GAEM EEEVVVUUUAAARRR!!!!!!!!" Followed by putting everything else down and no reasons given,then fuck you and your dumb shit game.

Problem?

>> No.4263110

>>4263090
>>>/v/
>>>/b/
>>>/v/iceland

>> No.4263115

Must be a slow day on /v/...

>> No.4263116

>>4263108
/thread

>> No.4263123

>>4263108
>If you claim things like its the "GREETESTEST GAEM EEEVVVUUUAAARRR!!!!!!!!" Followed by putting everything else down and no reasons given
Pretty much the story of this thread lol. OP has been personally attacking anons for having a different opinion.

>> No.4263130

>>4256127
They're faggots

>> No.4263154

>>4256127
Because it's not a masterpiece. It's an overrated game defended by manchildren.

>> No.4263164

>>4263108
>The DS version is less shitty
So you're terrible at games and have no understanding of mechanical nuance. People like you are so easy to spot lmao.

>> No.4263219

>>4263164
KHV detected

>> No.4263224

>>4263219
>KHV
literally who?

>> No.4263360

>SM64 is great
>SM64 sucks
>SM64 is great, you just suck at videogames
>SM64 sucks, you're just a nostalgiafag
people have opinions, and they think whoever disagrees is dumb, what other is new?

For everyone complaining about the camera, R + C-Down gives almost free cam horizontally...some prefer it, others tried and switched back to regular cam after realizing why it was free cam is not the ideal option as it seems to be from complaints

>> No.4263379

>>4263154
you're still stuck in the new 2000s "brown is reality" era aren't you

>> No.4263482

>>4263061
>>4263054
>>4263219

imagine sex being this important to you that it's your main talking point/argument on a retro videogame board, used against anonymous people you know nothing about

>> No.4263507

>>4263482
lmao it's so pathetic

>> No.4263512

I don't think it's good (nor bad, just a in-between), but I do think it's important for 3d platforming as a genre.

>> No.4263535

>>4256127

I've been playing games since 1985 on Atari nes etc. Got a SNES and a N64 the day it came out. Now 35 and looking back I still think that SM64 was the single greatest video game.

>> No.4263537

>>4263535
Darbian?

>> No.4264220

>being so butthurt about people not liking your game

>> No.4265716

>>4263059
Not particularly defending SM64, not my favorite game ever, but its not a bad one, y'know? Just wondering, what exactly makes that BAD game design? Having ways around doing specific tasks, being able to be lazy and get your shit faster is bad? I mean, the fact that they allowed a way for people to get around all this kinda thing is nice. It's great not to HAVE to go through tons of bullshit to get things or have invisible walls stopping you from making a jump to shortcut things.

>> No.4265809 [DELETED] 
File: 212 KB, 855x1196, ps1-shit-rat-vs-n64-elder-god-53359649.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4265809

>>4256127

>> No.4265826

>>4263537
negative. didn't even know who that was

>> No.4267818

>>4256127
the game is honestly a bit shit, the only reason people continue to post it is because it was basically bundled with every n64. sure it was neat when it was new, but so was tetrisphere.

>> No.4267893

>>4267818
>the only reason people continue to post it is because it was basically bundled with every n64
Imagine being this delusional.

>> No.4267934

>>4267893
he has a point, you do realize mario 64 was one of like 3 launch titles? it was literally the demo at every single walmart. it was on the damn box of n64

>> No.4267993

>>4267934
>you do realize mario 64 was one of like 3 launch titles?
yeah, but that's obviously not why people like the game lmao. nobody gives a fuck about pilotwings.

>> No.4268028

>>4256481
>People who are young and didnt experience it first hand look at it as old and dont like it for that reason
Played Deus Ex past it's release date
Still liked it
I'm "young" 25

>> No.4268062

>>4268028
that's just because you have shit taste.

>> No.4269606

>>4256150
This

>> No.4269612

>>4269606
>so stupid they can't walk in a straight line in SM64
stop having opinions on video games

>> No.4269624

>>4256481
You realise that all the designers who make the games you play today are obsessed with Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, right? Who gives a shit about what fat nerds think.

>> No.4269890
File: 67 KB, 372x300, 1505780508221.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4269890

>>4256127
I like crash bandicoot more.
Yes it's hard and not really taking advantage of the 3d, but I like the energy and enthusiasm of the game. Always hated Mario ambiance.

>> No.4269895

>>4261814
Is this a better openworld than new Zelda?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action