[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 24 KB, 320x216, N64system.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4228756 No.4228756 [Reply] [Original]

I honestly don't understand the hate for this console. Every single common criticism I hear of the N64 is retarded as fuck.
>the controller sucks!
No, you suck at using the controller. It's very comfortable and has enough buttons for any kind of game. It looks odd, but it performs perfectly.
>it has no RPGs!
Yeah, no autistic turn-based JRPG turds, what a fucking loss.
>b-but blur!
Only in the 5th gen is anti-aliasing considered a bad thing. Many games didn't even use the it, like Quake 64 or F-Zero X, and it could be implemented to varying degrees as per the developer's preference. Smoother textures is not a bad thing; jaggies and warping are fucking cancer.

The N64 was a great console, just like the PS1 and Saturn were great consoles. Anyone who says stupid shit like "N64 has no games" is easily identifiable as a complete retard and should be promptly ignored. It was a perfect multiplayer system, had great graphics, a cheap price point, and some of the most influential and groundbreaking games ever made.

>> No.4228757

>>4228756
I don't have three hands

>> No.4228760

>>4228756
>perfect multiplayer system
if you've got enough friends, and mario party or smash brothers -- you all are set

>> No.4228761

>>4228757
Apparently you don't have one brain either. If you did, you'd realize you don't need to have 3 hands to use it. Playing a 3D game? Use the analog stick. Playing a 2D game? Use the dpad. Is that too much for your little brain to handle?

>> No.4228765

>>4228760
One console, four controllers, Goldeneye, MK64, SSB, pizza and beer are all you need to have a great fucking night.

>> No.4228769

>>4228756
Normalfag casual console.

>> No.4228772

>>4228769
>Normalfag casual console.
Autistic weeb identified.

>> No.4228781

>>4228769
You're probably the kind of guy who thinks Final Fantasy games are fun and "doesn't really like shooters".

>> No.4228784

One of my biggest complaints is my memory cards constantly corrupted.

Other than that, I loved the N64

>> No.4228785

>>4228772
t. insecure nintoddler

>> No.4228789

>>4228765
So true, and also don't forget Bomberman 64

>> No.4228792

>>4228785
Lmao, what do I have to be insecure about? I have an N64, PS1 and Saturn. I'm sorry that you grew up playing Spyro and are too much of a faggot to enjoy awesome shit like Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark.

>> No.4228795

It takes a certain combination of nostalgia goggle and/or tunnel vision to see the N64 as a "great" system.

The price point was indeed low because no optical drive but the cost quickly evened up with the purchase of a few games. It succeeded largely on parents seeing it was the cheapest plus brand recognition - though it really was great that it touched off an even more raging price war than Saturn had already ignited with their rushed Saturn launch.

Also, the games. It's true that the greatest games on N64 are really great. Nintendo and Rare really knew how to make good games and how to get the most out of the SGI Indy but the percentage of games that were really great was small and the appeal of those games was limited but if you're younger than 30, there was a time in your life when they were made specifically with you in mind.

Sticking with carts in the 5th gen was a mistake. One that Nintendo managed not to seriously stumble from but it's pretty hard to ignore if you really look at it.

>> No.4228796

>>4228792
>Killer Instinct
Shitty MK clone
>Perfect Dark
>he plays console FPSs
LOL

>> No.4228805

>>4228795
>

It takes a certain combination of nostalgia goggle and/or tunnel vision to see the N64 as a "great" system.
Lmao here we go, faggot gramps is about to relay his "informed" opinion.
>The price point was indeed low because no optical drive but the cost quickly evened up with the purchase of a few games.
Nope. The games were almost always the same price as those on competing consoles, and most popular games didn't require the purchase of a memory card or multitap like the PS1 did. Try again retard.
>Also, the games. It's true that the greatest games on N64 are really great
Yes it is.
>but the percentage of games that were really great was small and the appeal of those games was limited but if you're younger than 30, there was a time in your life when they were made specifically with you in mind
You're right, Perfect Dark and Ocarina of Time were made for small children, meanwhile You Can't Fool Mr. Domino and Crash Bandicoot were aimed at the 35 year old audience. Are you actually as autistic as you lead on, baby pants?
>Sticking with carts in the 5th gen was a mistake
Nintendo made more gross profit than their competitors who were losing money on every console, games had no load times, they last forever, and they were still fucking awesome. Yeah, such a mistake.

>> No.4228807

Iit had a few good games. I don't understand why people worship it. It's not the best, it was good for its time but the controls sucked and only a handful of games that came out for it were any good. It defiantly wasn't as bad as library for the GameCube. What I'm really fucking tired of is Ninetndo fanboys jerking off all over this thing. Sony had the right idea at the time, to make a game that was easily programmable so that you can have a ton of third party software, where as Nintendo, even the creators said this, had a system that was difficult to program for so you are going to have less games, especially third party games which is where the real meat is, as opposed to reiterations of their standard franchises.

>inb4 sonygger
I like both of them but at the time the great shit was coming out on PC. I'm sorry mommy could only buy you one system so you have to attack everything else that isn't that system for fear of your rose tinted nostalgia glasses being stepped on and broken.

>> No.4228809

>>4228796
>Shitty MK clone
Yeah, you never played it.
>he plays console FPSs
I play good games, which is more than I can say for you. I play a ton of PC FPS games like C&C Renegade, Quake 3, etc. but there's nothing wrong with a good console FPS. Perfect Dark is the best one ever made, in fact. Sorry you have shit taste, maybe if you weren't licking Ken Kutaragi's ass all the time you wouldn't?

>> No.4228814
File: 1.19 MB, 1432x462, QABlI9e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4228795
>Sticking with carts was a mistake
>No loading times.

Come on, I'm starting to agree with the OP.

Another anon said the "three hands meme"

Don't you know how to hold a N64 controller? Pic related.

>> No.4228824

>>4228807
>It's not the best, it was good for its time but the controls sucked and only a handful of games that came out for it were any good.
This is a purely retarded opinion. The controls didn't suck at all, in fact they were vastly better than the competition which is why so many games were influenced by them.
>It defiantly wasn't as bad as library for the GameCube
>GameCube library
>"bad"
I sincerely hope you formed this opinion through pure bias and not by actually playing the games, because your retarded ass doesn't deserve to play cool shit like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime. I hope you go through the rest of your life thinking the GCN is absolute shit.
>Sony had the right idea at the time, to make a game that was easily programmable so that you can have a ton of third party software
Lmao "the right idea", not even close faggot child. This move on Sony's part led to a console that was absolutely brimming with shovelware and had almost no games that could meet the level of quality demanded by the N64. In fact, this move also led to the current state of the gaming industry as we know it.
>a system that was difficult to program for so you are going to have less games
No, not "less games", better games. Nintendo wanted the games on their console to be of a certain caliber, and they were. Go compare competing games from the PS1 and Saturn to the best N64 games and the difference in polish, quality and attention to detail is fucking sad.

>> No.4228829

>>4228814
>hold it like the 3rd picture
>Use your nose to move the joystick and your dick to push the trigger

>> No.4228834

The problem is, if you don't like Rare games you are stuck with quality-not-quantity Nintendo games and and very, very limited selection or third-party games.

It's not the worst console ever, but it's the worst Nintendo console onpar with Wii U (exckudinf the VB of course).

>> No.4228835

>>4228829
There you go. The OP was correct.

NO GAME, I repeat, NO GAME that used the third option used the Z button. They used the L button.

>> No.4228841

>>4228834
>The problem is, if you don't like Rare games you are stuck with quality-not-quantity Nintendo games and and very, very limited selection or third-party games.
Sorry but the Wii and GameCube are not better fucking consoles than the N64, that is undiluted autism.

>> No.4228849

>>4228756
The fuck am I supposed to do with that third handle, stick it up my ass?!

>> No.4228852

The only real winner of fifth gen was PC. All the consoles had their own share of major problems.

>> No.4228853

notice how the NES and SNES don't have retards like OP rabidly defending them like autistic retards?
it's because they don't need defending, they're obviously fantastic consoles and you'd have to be a massive tryhard to think they're bad
but since the N64 isn't one tenth as good as those two, the poor saps that love it feel like they need to suck its cock ten times as hard

>> No.4228856

>>4228849
>>4228814

>> No.4228860

>>4228805
>The games were almost always the same price as those on competing consoles
Sometimes, 3rd party multiplat titles might have been because of the publishers. Notably MK which had prices that were completely pants-on-head retarded but the base price for a hot new N64 game was $60, $53 for a Saturn one and $48 for a Playstation one. These prices are burned into my head from selling them but you are right about the memory cards. Not including one with the console was something that definitely pissed off a lot of parents as they came back to buy something for $30 they didn't even know they needed. They'd all gotten past that by the time N64 finally released, very late which was another blunder that they recovered from. It's pretty obvious you're really cherry picking there with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark considering they're basically the same game plus you're only contributing to my point that the Playstation had ample games for kids in addition to ample games in literally every other genre including passable examples of the N64's (few) signature genres. You also seem to be trying to cherry pick with this "gross profits" thing by which I think you mean net since you go on to suggest the PS1 was a loss leader which it wasn't. It's even hard to imagine that Nintendo made more net profit than SCE with all the publishing but I'd be interested to see the study you're referring to?

>> No.4228862

As an oldfag who got an N64 on Christmas just after it was released i can tell you that it was a dissapointment.

The good games are sooooooo few and were released so far between, BUT the few good games are absolutely fantastic, same happened with the Gamecube.

Is the console i play the least nowadays, im waiting on my Conkers and Sin & Punishment repros to be delivered tho, the ill dust it out and play for hours and hours until i get bored of them

>> No.4228864

wow, that's the best you got op?

>> No.4228884
File: 113 KB, 1905x285, 4player.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4228756
It probably comes from people with no friends

>> No.4228904

>>4228884
Shame the only mp games people care about for it are babby nintoddler trash and mediocre shooters that run at 5fps in vs mode.

>> No.4228908

>>4228841
N64 and Gamecube are equal, Wii is a bit weaker

>> No.4228952

>>4228824
Wow, now I know why they call them Nintentoddlers. What's the matter mummy forgot to change your nappy?

I can name the good games on N64 with one hand, two hands for the Gamecube. I can name 50 amazing games on the PSX off the top of my head.

Stop defending this piece of shit. Nintendo doesn't care about you, and you just piss people off that actually put up some criticism.

I was hoping you'd be able to come up with some decent points about the system, and comparing it with other ones, but it seems like you just parrot the opinions that you found on here or some forums without actually considering the facts.

>> No.4228985

>>4228756
The N64 has some of my favorite games but I wish it had more variety in certain genres. It's ironic that Nintendo went from a console full of cool RPGs (SNES) to one with almost none.

>> No.4228992

>>4228756
Sounds like you are upset that all the great SNES RPGs went to Playstation instead of N64. What did they get? Castle Quest 64?

>> No.4228997

>>4228756
OoT / MM
Bomberman 64
Paper Mario
Quest 64
Super Smash Bros
Mario 64
Any and all Mario Party games
Donkey Kong 64
Ogre Battle
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi 64
Goldeneye
Banjo 64

Am I missing any essentials? I don't know -- lot of home run titles and exponentially more fun with friends

If you somehow think this console isn't good, you are delusional or your tastes are so extreme and pigeon-holed in which case I wish you nothing but the best because we all friends

>> No.4229001

>>4228756
>No, you suck at using the controller.

To be fair, N64 controllers are very shoddy. The analog stick wears out in no time, and good luck finding an affordable replacement.

But great idea for a thread. I'm sure that by preemptively insulting anyone who could possibly disagree with you, you'll make us all into N64 fanboys in no time.

>> No.4229006

>>4228997
>Am I missing any essentials?
Your list is good but there are many other awesome games you should try. Blast Corps, Killer Instinct Gold, DOOM 64, Quake 64, Jet Force Gemini, lots of others. Also, Perfect Dark is better than Goldeneye in every way, and it is one of the cheapest games on the system, definitely play that.
>If you somehow think this console isn't good, you are delusional or your tastes are so extreme and pigeon-holed
I agree. I think the N64 gets a bad rap as the "bro console" due to multiplayer games, and nobody seems to take the library seriously. In reality though, it has some of the best games of the gen and anyone who didn't own one was missing out.

>> No.4229007

>>4228997
>no Treasure games

>> No.4229008

>>4228997
>>4228997
Banjo-Tooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
F-Zero
Pokémon Stadium 1 2
Pokémon Snap

>> No.4229010

>>4228997
Mischief Makers

>> No.4229016

>>4229001
>The analog stick wears out in no time, and good luck finding an affordable replacement
If by "no time" you mean years and years, sure buddy. Also, an "affordable replacement" costs about $7 on eBay.
>I'm sure that by preemptively insulting anyone who could possibly disagree with you, you'll make us all into N64 fanboys in no time
I didn't "preemptively insult" anyone, I stated my opinion. You are insulted by it because you are a shitbird and you disagree, that's all there is to it.

>> No.4229017

>>4229008
>OoT / MM
>Bomberman 64
>Paper Mario
>Quest 64
>Super Smash Bros
>Mario 64
>Any and all Mario Party games
>Donkey Kong 64
>Ogre Battle
>Star Fox 64
>Kirby 64
>Yoshi 64
>Goldeneye
>Banjo 64
>Banjo-Tooie
>Conker
>Perfect Dark
>F-Zero
>Pokémon Stadium 1 2
>Pokémon Snap
>Mischief Makers
and adding
Snowboard Kids 1 & 2

I agree with everything said so far

Sounds like we're about due for a chart to be made lads. Anyone alright in photoshop? or pixlr.com/editor -- that's photoshop in your web browser if you know how to use it

>> No.4229018 [DELETED] 

>>4228765
>having friends
>drinking the fermented jew
>not caring abt getting pizza grease all over your controllers

>> No.4229019

>>4229001
>The analog stick wears out in no time

THIS. I hate the controller because the sticks are built like shit and I've seen them break more than any other controller I've owned. I have nothing against the layout of the controller itself, because the games are built around it so they work fine.

>> No.4229020

>>4229018
>not sitting on the edge of your seat

>> No.4229023

>>4229017
1080 Snowboard
Beetle's Adventures
Wave Race
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis

Passable tier:
Killer Instinct

>> No.4229025

>>4229023
>>4229017
Excitebike 64

Nintendo 64 is great console.

>> No.4229032

>>4228756
1/10
go home

>> No.4229034

>>4228997
I wouldn't call Quest 64 an essential

>> No.4229036

>>4229023
>OoT / MM
>Bomberman 64
>Paper Mario
>Quest 64
>Super Smash Bros
>Mario 64
>Any and all Mario Party games
>Donkey Kong 64
>Ogre Battle
>Star Fox 64
>Kirby 64
>Yoshi 64
>Goldeneye
>Banjo 64
>Banjo-Tooie
>Conker
>Perfect Dark
>F-Zero
>Pokémon Stadium 1 2
>Pokémon Snap
>Mischief Makers
>Snowboard Kids 1 & 2
>Mario Kart 64
>Mario Tennis
>Diddy Kong Racing

IMO would have to pass on the others you suggested far from essential to play lol

>> No.4229041

>>4229034
IMO the battle system is novel enough to warrant it

>> No.4229043

>>4229018
>having friends
Meh, can't blame you, friends are overrated, but multiplayer can still be fun.
>drinking the fermented jew
Whoa now faggot child, how dare you call beer the "fermented jew". Go drink box wine, rum or some other sweet faggot shit, beer is the best drug known to man.
>not caring abt getting pizza grease all over your controllers
Any real gamer has extra "grease controllers" that they give their friends.

>> No.4229053

>Don't like shooters
>Don't like collectathons other than Mario 64
>Don't enjoy 3D Zelda that much
>Don't have 3 friends to play it with
N64 is a nice console but kinda niche. I had it back then and I recently got an everdrive for it, but it's still the Nintendo system I go back the less.

>> No.4229057

>>4229036
I know, right? Somebody is going to take these guys' lists and sit down and start playing starting with the most "obscure" titles. What kind of an impression are they going to come
away with? This is what always happens when Nintendrones try to pad out the list of great N64 games.

>> No.4229059

>>4228952
>Wow, now I know why they call them Nintentoddlers. What's the matter mummy forgot to change your nappy?
I own a PS1 and I love it. I also love my N64. I guess you are too mentally simple to appreciate both.
>I can name the good games on N64 with one hand
See now, you can't expect anyone to take your opinion seriously when you say this kind of shit. Only retarded fanboys who have never played competing consoles say this kind of thing. I will gladly admit there are more than 5 amazing games on PS1... because I own one, and I own more than 5 games. N64 has at least 20~30 golden games.
>Stop defending this piece of shit. Nintendo doesn't care about you, and you just piss people off that actually put up some criticism.
lolwut. Of course Nintendo doesn't care about me, I don't care about Nintendo either. They are a giant corporation and I'm a consumer. That doesn't mean N64 didn't have good games. The fuck?
>I was hoping you'd be able to come up with some decent points about the system, and comparing it with other ones, but it seems like you just parrot the opinions that you found on here or some forums without actually considering the facts.
Ironically, regurgitating opinions is literally what you're doing here. If you disagree with something I've said, state the exact thing you disagree with and I'll gladly respond with a proper argument. If all you're going to do is spout a bunch of blatantly untrue bullshit, then don't be surprised when I just call you a faggot.

>> No.4229061

>>4229057
>Implying that Excitebike, Waverace, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis are not good games

>> No.4229064
File: 919 KB, 500x394, wonderpj2ss.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can understand some people not having it as one of their favorite systems, etc. But hating it? That just means you haven't delved into the catalog properly, or you're angry with Nintendo 64 fans or something, because the thing does have some great games.

>> No.4229065

>>4229057
>I know, right? Somebody is going to take these guys' lists and sit down and start playing starting with the most "obscure" titles. What kind of an impression are they going to come
away with? This is what always happens when Nintendrones try to pad out the list of great N64 games.
Lol faggot pants is a Sony cocksuck, who would have guessed?

>> No.4229073

>>4229016
>costs about $7 on eBay.

Chinese shit breaks even faster. You aren't going to find official replacement parts for that kind of money.

>> No.4229074

>>4229036
Flying Dragon and Fighters Destiny for fighting games.

>> No.4229092

>>4229064
Why should we trust a VNfag to tell us which systems have great games?

Fuck outta here with your gook non-games.

>> No.4229129

>>4228756
OP is right, but a little autistic JPRG faggotry every now and then isn't so bad.

>> No.4229148
File: 782 KB, 500x387, wonderpj2go.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229092
>WPJ2
>VN

>> No.4229151

>>4229016
>If by "no time" you mean years and years, sure buddy. Also, an "affordable replacement" costs about $7 on eBay.

Sorry but this is just plain wrong. Nobody should ever buy a $10 N64 controller, they are all using a faulty method and none of them play N64 games properly. I feel sorry if there are people out there that think those are how N64 games are supposed to be played.

>> No.4229161

>>4228756
there is a direct correlation between how much you hate the N64 and how much you wish anime was real

>> No.4229165

>>4229161
i love the N64, and wish we all lived in a Pokemon world in which nothing truly bad ever happened

>> No.4229169

>>4229165
Same

>> No.4229180

>>4228772
>weeb
Nintendo is a japanese company retard
Kill yourself

>> No.4229206

>>4229165
>nothing bad ever happens

What about a crime syndicate using pokemon for world domination?

>> No.4229220

>>4229206
>nothing truly bad

>> No.4229228

>>4228761
Relax

>> No.4229236

>>4229180
That's not what he meant, literally everyone knows Nintendo is a Japanese company.

>> No.4229239

>>4229180
he's referring to sony ponys that exclusively play jrpgs and fap to 2d waifus

>> No.4229256

>>4229016
In your OP you started insulting everyone and continued to insult anyone that disagreed with you. I offered some criticism as in comparing the accessibility of programming to third party developers that allow more third party games, thus more genres, target ages/audiences and creativity, to be made on the Playstation in comparison to the N64 (which Nintendo themselves even acknowledged) and you started calling me a faggotchild, saying I don't deserve to play certain games (because most Gamecube games are made for kids), you have a retarded opinion, blanketing all Sony games as shovelware, assuming that because I had something negative to say about the N64 that I didn't like it when I stated that I liked it. All you've done is insult anyone that disagrees with you. It's fucking sad pathetic losers like you that make me hate anything Nintendo because you do this stupid shit everytime: you make a thread saying how underrated the N64 is and ask for criticism/opinions and when you get it all you do is fly into an autistic rage and start flinging shit whenever anyone mentions even a tiny negative thing about the system and you call them a faggot/retard/stupid/nigger/brainless/whatever with shit opinions.

>>4229065
And this is what it comes down to. You can't even be a gamer anymore. If you are not Nintendo, you are obviously Sony, if you are not Sony you are obviously Microsoft, and God forbid if you don't like Sonic. You can't just be a gamer: someone who has played most of the games on all the consoles since at least the NES (props if you had Atari or any of the Japanese computers) and PC games until now and has a grasp on where games came from and where they are today and be able to look at games across all spectrums and genres, not some fervent crusader who feverishly holds on to one system or one company or one IP and treat it like it's fucking God and then have the nerve to call people narrow minded.

>> No.4229272

>>4228834

>It's not the worst console ever, but it's the worst Nintendo console onpar with Wii U (exckudinf the VB of course).

N64 > snes > gamecube > wii > wii u

you probably don't know shit about the n64 and its library.

>> No.4229275

>>4229256
Hello gramps

>> No.4229283

>>4229272
>no nes
>n64 over snes

Underage detected

>> No.4229285

>>4229151

You're mad about having to buy a $5 replacement for the N64 controller? What about the cd drive on the ps1? good luck finding a playstation 1 or 2 that never had problems and still works till this day. How about the dualshock? They were all cheap pieces of plastic. I had 4 ps2 controllers because 3 of them broke for no reason. I know it's not retro, but 2 of my ps4 controllers also had problems with the analog stick. Meanwhile I never ever had problems with Nintendo products other than the analog stick on the N64 controllers wearing off, which I easily replaced and feels like new again.

>> No.4229290

>>4229283
hmm snes is a bit overrated i think, and lets be honest, who the fuck is gonna play an NES in 2017
ITS ALL ABOUT THAT GENESIS BOI

>> No.4229291

>>4229283

>no nes
You're right, I never played an NES that much to form an opinion, I was born in 1990 so I won't do like many in /vr/ do and pretend that I know what i'm talking about.

>n64 over snes
snes had way more great games, but due to tecnological limitations they were mostly 2D platforms and other games very "samey". The N64 opened the door to more genres and better multiplayer.

>> No.4229293

>>4228756
Jrpg is not a genre.

>> No.4229304

>>4228795
>One that Nintendo managed not to seriously stumble from
No, they really stumbled. Losing most of their market share in Japan, losing the market they cultivated in Europe with the SNES, and not even selling that well in America, the only region it performed well in. It only got worse with the Gamecube.

>> No.4229318

The N64 is superior to the Gamecube in every way, it had far more variety of games, exclusives and all the great Nintendo games on the Gamecube are basically just improved versions of N64 games, hell sometimes Nintendo didn't even improve on them (Sunshine, Star Fox)

>> No.4229336

>>4229293
I never got why people shit on Japanese turn based games. Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest are pretty much the Japanese version of Wizardry

>>4229275
nah im not that dude im a different poster

>> No.4229393

>>4229304

>33M
>Stumbled

yeah... the n64 just sold more than any sega console ever, more than the GC, more than the Xbox, more than the Xbox One, but it was such a huge failure! Oh wait, no.

>> No.4229414

>>4229393
It ruined them in Japan and destroyed any hope of establishing outside of the US and Japan, so yes it was a stumble. If not for the Wii they would have gone under years ago. Even today the Switch under performs outside of America.

>> No.4229445
File: 781 KB, 2518x1372, IMG_0766.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Post 'em, lads.

>> No.4229461

>>4229414
Yea but the switch is garbage that only a total nintendrone would like

>> No.4229494
File: 150 KB, 800x470, n64c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229445

>> No.4229503

>>4228852
>The only real winner of fifth gen was PC
Well, except for the (back then) gorillion dollar price tag, and 12 month obsolescence...

>> No.4229515
File: 49 KB, 642x370, bad numbers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229393
>the n64 just sold more than any sega console ever
Nah. Mega Drive soundly beat it and from a generation where there were notably fewer gamers. If Sega hadn't made their own epic epic blunders you can see where things were headed from pic related.

>> No.4229527

>>4229461
Apparently 5 million "Nintendrones" bought it. Logic, amirite?

>> No.4229570

>>4228756
>It was a perfect multiplayer system
I can agree. At its time it was. Just about every major game release I was with friends. We always got something. We drank with the manager of the babbages, so we got preorders WHEN THEY CAME IN, not when they were released. 2 nights I really remember...Turok night. By 4am we were screaming and howling like baboons...Not joking. Mario cart night was more serious. It was blood, and feelings were hurt that night. There were others for sure...007. I got conkers, and the MP sucked. It made no sense...then we did the SP and laughed till we pissed ourselves.

I think other systems came after that actually captured that essence...Some better in ways. I have had a great time with other nintendo items, and even a microsoft product for in-person multiplayer.

>>4228760
>if you've got enough friends, and mario party or smash brothers -- you all are set

I can't disagree.

>> No.4229574

>>4229527
Well, yeah. The only reason to buy a Nintendo console is to play first-party Nintendo games, which only Nintendo fans are interested in.

>> No.4229584
File: 7 KB, 200x200, ba2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229256
Imagine being so rectally ravaged that you take the time out of your day to write this kind of tear-soaked faggot reply. Absolutely unacceptable.

>> No.4229635

>>4229515

The N64 sold more in the US than any sega console.

>> No.4229640
File: 135 KB, 1080x1215, 8wdzKkA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4228781
I'm that guy, but I also loved the N64.

Does that make me a special snowflake, anon?

>> No.4229701

>>4229570

>I got conkers, and the MP sucked.
How so? It's one of the best multiplayer games ever created.

>> No.4229745
File: 171 KB, 960x1280, chads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> It's very comfortable and has enough buttons for any kind of game.
nigger it doesnt have two sticks neither two shoulder buttons, what the fuck are you on about
>It looks odd, but it performs perfectly.
no, no it doesn't

>> No.4229750

>>4229584
More like being drunk and annoyed with faggots who suck company dick

>> No.4229854

I actually really like the controller for the system. Even now it's feels comfortable for long play sessions. I think choosing a prong for Analog and D-pad was a great idea, and both are "full size", it isn't like one was cheaped out on.

The analog stick was great and the resistance made it easy to stop at a certain angle and aim or walk accurately. Unfortunately those eventually grind down and I haven't been able to find a replacement stick that emulates the feeling 100%.

>> No.4229876

>>4229745
>nigger it doesnt have two sticks neither two shoulder buttons
It has 2 shoulder buttons...

>> No.4230767

>>4229745
>nigger it doesnt have two sticks neither two shoulder buttons, what the fuck are you on about
First off, you aren't black, stop saying nigger and be proud that you have pastey white skin since it's the only good thing about you. Secondly, who fucking cares if it doesn't have two sticks? Almost no game made back then used 2 sticks, even most PS1 games didn't support the dualshock. Also, there are 2 shoulder buttons you retard, there's even the Z button which functions as a second or third depending on how you hold the controller.
>no, no it doesn't
Coming from the literal retard who doesn't even know how many shoulder buttons an N64 controller has, your opinion is meaningless and you are clearly terrible at games.

>> No.4230972
File: 63 KB, 487x571, USA Consoles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229635
"no"

>> No.4230985

>>4230972
>360, ds and wii are in the top 5

god americans have disgusting taste

>> No.4231017

The controller design was stupid. Defend it all you want, it's stupid. Otherwise its a fine console and really helped shape Nintendo into what they are now.

>> No.4231675

I don't have a dog in this fight, but just have to mention that nobody bringing up No Mercy as a must-have game is criminal.

>> No.4231702

>>4230972

What retarded list is that? The numbers are all wrong and the N64 is not even listed there. Or do you really believe it has sold less than the turbografx-16 or the sega saturn?

>> No.4231714

>>4230985
Because Amiga, Master System, and ZX Spectrum are so much better, right?

>> No.4231732

Allow me, someone who could only afford the Playstation, to speak on this.
Looking back on it now(I don't have nostalgia goggles interfering), I'd say it was a great console.
Has some faults(who didn't?), that by and large don't mean dick unless you're mentally ill, in which case you need to shut the fuck up.

It looks good aesthetically, even today. The controller is a bit overengineered, as the Gamecube controller demonstrates(GCN controller best controller ever, sorry faggots). It's only real problem however is the hard plastic analog.
Runs pretty cool, and in smaller rooms this can make a difference esp in summer.
Carts are, in theory, superior to discs. I think Nintendo expected RAM and ROM tech to advance faster than it did. But everyone hopped on the disc train for ten years.
Games wise, there are no complaints. Unless you're a picky bastard, there's easily 20 great titles to select from, which is plenty. More than enough to make the system extremely valuable. And that's if you DON'T have friends, like myself.

N64 games played with a GC controller are fantastic. If you hate the system, you just don't belong in the hobby.
Go carve wood, or something fitting your dull taste.

>> No.4231742

>>4231732
stop typing
like a faggot
you dont need to hit enter after every sentence

>> No.4231750
File: 406 KB, 1400x1050, PSOGL2_014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4231742
o rly?

>> No.4231752

>>4228756
I got a question. I really REALLY lust for either an Arcade perfect NBA Hangtime, or the Best console version N64.

There is no emulation that I have found to recreate it for the 64...

>What about arcade emulation...Is that possible?
>What about 64 SD drives? Will it run via that...Do the RARE titles work via SD?

>> No.4231785

>>4228795
1. You're an idiot.
2. You don't know squat about what really happened back then.
3. Stop using terms like "nostalgia goggles" you fucking retard.

>> No.4231807

Why is /v/ in this particular thread?

95% of this is shit flinging and deeply uncharacteristic of /vr/. Not a single person has brought anything new to the argument at all. Shamefur dispray

>> No.4231814

>>4231785
This. The unfortunate soul who blew faggot gramps into his mother's cunt made a huge mistake. Sage.

>> No.4231839

>>4231752
What the fuck are you trying to say? Only use the quote function when you're actually quoting and please write in full sentences.

>> No.4231887

>>4231807
>95% of yesterdecade's consolewars being fought today are uncharacteristic of /vr/
Come on man, do you really believe that?

>> No.4231892

>>4229228
Don't do it

>> No.4231936
File: 3.81 MB, 394x281, 1496460934586.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4231807
>blatantly biased console wars are "uncharacteristic" of /vr/

>> No.4231989

>>4231936

You're full of shit and you know it. /vr/ on the whole disagrees with each other and offers up arguments rather than puerile shitflinging (unless it's funny). Either you know this and you're trying to bait or you've wandered in from /v/

>> No.4231991
File: 62 KB, 508x508, lmao-nigga-105867.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4231989
>/vr/ on the whole disagrees with each other and offers up arguments rather than puerile shitflinging (unless it's funny).
Oh look, it's retarded.

>> No.4231994

>>4231989
this /v/eddit newfag likes to pretend he's a regular, but you can tell he isn't by the low qaulity shitposts and le fahny 9gag reaction images
rarely are posts here so shit you can recognize them even when they're anonymous

>> No.4231997 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 528x543, 1502838982162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4231994
>/v/eddit
Homosexual identified.

>> No.4232004
File: 29 KB, 528x543, 1502838982162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4231994
>/v/eddit
Homosexual identified.

>> No.4232027

>>4231991

Nothing like proving an Anon's point in a single post, champ

>> No.4232031

>>4228807
Good games i remember
Mission impossible
Jamea bonds
Perfect dark
Star wars rogue squadron
Hydro thunder
Thats all i can remember

>> No.4232052

>>4228756
it has no shmups either

and you n64 fags glorify console shmups, 4 player splitscreen is shit compared to network play

if you have friends you rather play quake network play then 4 player splitscreen

n64 is basically a bootleg pc but with a weaker library

>> No.4232065

>>4231702
Nintendo has never revealed their US N64 sales but according to their own numbers, the N64 sold less in all of The Americas than Genesis sold in just the US.

https://www.webcitation.org/5nXieXX2B?url=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e0912.pdf

>>4231785
I was only working the N64 launch and sold all three consoles for years. I can absolutely assure you from first hand experience that we had to listen to more customer complaint about the N64 than the other two systems. Games were more expensive, there were few of them and the mean quality was poor.

As many people have pointed out, The N64 defense squad is so overzealous it only validates the criticisms of the N64. No rational person is arguing that the great N64 games are anything other than great but for some reason that's not enough they have to post embarrassing lists of "great games" with three snowboarding games and beetle adventure racing on them.

>> No.4232328

>>4231807
Nu-/v/'s oldest gaming memory is of fifth gen, why do you think we've had so many N64 vs. Saturn vs. PSX console war threads over the summer?

We should lower the allowed year to pre-1989 hardware to keep the cancer out.

>> No.4232347

>>4228756
I don't hate the N64, but I'm gonna disagree with you on this...

>No, you suck at using the controller
You're a retard. The controller really does suck. The only time Nintendo ever got it right with a controller was when they made the Gamecube controller. So unless you're some 3 handed alien, this controller is crap.

>> No.4232386

>>4231839
>What the fuck are you trying to say? Only use the quote function when you're actually quoting and please write in full sentences.
NBA Hangtime N64:

Does it work with the Everdrive?
Do rare games work with the everdrive?
How many physical Everdrives do I need to play every 64 game? (Is there different IC chips?)

I don't think what I wrote was all that hard to comprehend. I had a statement followed by 2 questions.

I want to play Nba Hangtime. Its that simple.

>> No.4232402

>>4229041
IMO everything about the game is shit, and adding it to an essentials list really shows how weak the library is.

>> No.4232424

>>4228841
Gamecube is a lot better in hindsight, with a lot of hidden gem games beyond nintendo first parties. The Wii is such a weird, different kind of console I'd argue it doesn't have much in common with most other consoles to be a good comparison

>> No.4232425

>>4229503
A decent PC that would run most shit was twice as expensive as a console and doubled as a computer to boot.

>> No.4232429

>>4232347
>gamecube
nah. awful face buttons, garbage d-pad. lots of room for improvement.

>> No.4232432

>>4230985
DS has a really broad game library of decent-to-good games(better than the PSP, even if the PSP was a better device), the Wii caught on with the casual market because it was different, and the 360 was pushed/discounted super hard at holidays as the 'console to buy your 13 year old grandson'-not to mention Halo made a fuckton of money.

>> No.4232434
File: 76 KB, 329x249, file.php?40,file=125942,filename=hemad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4228756

>> No.4232435

>>4228756
No, I'm sorry, the controller really does suck. There is no defending it other than claiming that Nintendo were trying something new (and failing), or that it was still early in the days of controllers with that many buttons so they didn't know better, or that Sony basically took their established SNES controller, added more buttons, and made it more comfortable, so Nintendo had to take a last-minute alternate route.

Other controllers, with just as many buttons (or more), even at that time, could be held in just one standard position while still being able to reach every button on the controller comfortably. A controller that requires you to reposition your hands for different games (or throughout one game), even on games that run fine with other controllers, is like a control scheme that intentionally requires you to use the claw, even though other formats of the game work just as well (or better) with more ergonomic control schemes.

The controller works, yes. You can play games with it. I haven't had any issues with it myself, aside from certain times when I was young, since I never owned one. This doesn't mean it's good, it just means it's not broken. It's unintuitive as hell, outright confusing most who look at it and further confusing them once they hold it ("there's a button on the back?" "I have to change how I hold it?"). This is not only confusing for casuals and normies, but also for developers. You have to make very careful or ingenuitive decisions about button mapping and how the controller should be held, if you want to use the analog and Z instead of d-pad and L, etc.

The controller, compared to mouse and keyboard (at the time), or no controller, is okay, and functional. Relative to other controllers, it's objectively bad.

>> No.4232570

>>4232429
Nope. Gamecube controller trumps the N64 controller.

>> No.4232710

>>4232065
You never worked anywhere you lying LARPing sack of underaged shit.

>> No.4232731

>>4232347
The controller is actually good at what it does.
The N64's control stick is the most precise one I've tried. The Gamecube stick has a lot more of deadzone, same with dualshock, Xbox and any other controller with an analog stick.
The thing that sucks about the N64 is the stick itself wearing off after a lot of use.
I've never got one fall off, but most of my old controllers are very loose. However, even with them loose, they're still more precise than the other mentioned controllers. And the whole design of the N64's controller, as wacky as it looks, is actually pretty interesting and some devs actually did some cool stuff with it, being able to grab the controller in 3 different ways is a clever idea. Even if most devs (including Nintendo themselves) just followed with the standard right position that Super Mario 64 used.
The plastic of the controller is tough as fuck, never got one broken. The buttons all feel great even after all that time smashing it playing multiplayer with friends.
I like the N64 controller, my only complaint being the mentioned issue with the sticks' plastic. However, I hear there's ways to fix it, and it seems japanese N64 controllers were actually better in this regard. I haven't tried importing any N64 controller yet so I don't know if that's true.
It's not perfect, that's for sure, but IMO it's a good controller.

>> No.4232767

shit games
shit graphics
worst fanboy fanbase

>> No.4232778

>>4231732
>Games wise, there are no complaints. Unless you're a picky bastard
This fucking nonsense is unbearable.

Saturn and Playstation has all the cool games. N64 is icky nintoddlerdom consolified. It's stinks like Fisher Price soaked in baby urine. Baby want MahREEEEEEE-oh. It's shit and everybody defending it needs to get over their diaper fetish and just shit on the thing, shit on it right in the cartridge slot. Fuck you people.

>> No.4232794

>>4228756
Consoles are more about software (games) not hardware. There are 2 titles that I can think off of the top of my head that were great - Conker, SSX. I never actually owned the console but used an emulator and it was worth putting up back in 2002 with the keyboard mapping to play those titles. If a game is good nobody gives a shit about the controller.

>> No.4232808

>>4232767
Very deep criticism, I think it would be hard to counter-argue you.

>> No.4232810

>>4232794
>Conker and SSX
SSX is not even considered one of the great top 20 or 30 N64 games dude.
But yeah if you only emulated it, it doesn't surprise me you hated it.

>> No.4232814

>>4232794
>Conker
That game came out a few months before the PS2. So it wasn't around for most of the N64's lifespan.

>> No.4232815

>>4228756
Jaggies never bothered me. I would rather see the game in the actual resolution it's processed in than have it blurred to shit trying to fool me it's smoother than it is.

Other than that, I agree with you.

>> No.4232816
File: 36 KB, 500x416, N64green.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I think we all can agree that
green>black>grey>atomic purple>blue>red>yellow

>> No.4232826
File: 499 KB, 464x348, 1242362335.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4232810
>the great top 20 or 30 N64 games

Yes, among which you'll find such classics as Mario Party and the unforgettable Blast Corps.

Seriously, you'll have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel to even come close to filling a top 20, much less top 30, games list for N64.

>> No.4232831

>>4228807
>I don't understand why people worship it
It's gotta be people who had it as their first console. Pure fucking nostalgia is the only satisfactory explanation.

>> No.4232861

>>4228807
>wasn't as bad as library for the GameCube
NGC had Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, P.N.03, Rogue Squdron II and III, a much less horrible controller, actual disks and most importantly graphics that were on par for their time and still look good. I'll take the NGC over the N64 any day. I don't understand why it's such a forgotten console, it's much superior to the N64. Every Nintendo home console is, really. The N64 is by far the worst console Nintendo ever made.

>> No.4232865

>>4232826
Mario Party was in it's prime on the 64 and Blast Corps is a great fucking game, if you think that "scraping the bottom of the barrel" then chances are you just have shit taste.

>> No.4232869

>>4232865
>Blast Corps is a great fucking game
Keep telling yourself that, maybe one day you'll even believe it.

>> No.4232879

>>4231732
>Creating is a dull hobby

That's the most wrong statement I've read all year.

>> No.4232881

>>4228952
>Wow, now I know why they call them Nintentoddlers. What's the matter mummy forgot to change your nappy?
All you need to hear to sum up your average 64 basher (or any Nintendo hater really), shit opinions and a misplaced sense of superiority that only makes sense with a 10 year old's logic.

>> No.4232890

>>4232869
>faggot receives reply directed towards him
>k-keep telling yourself that XD
What did he mean by this?

>> No.4232901 [DELETED] 
File: 113 KB, 432x336, flcli.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4232826
>Mario Party and Blast Corps
Hey, what's wrong with Blast Corps? It really is unforgettable, it's unique and fun
But no, I was talking more along the lines of titles such as Mario 64, Wave Race, Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X. You know, the classics.
I would list Mario Party among the best 30 titles on N64 personally, neither would I include SSX, and Conker, maybe, but not top 20 at least for me.
>Seriously, you'll have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel to even come close to filling a top 20, much less top 30, games list for N64.
Not at all, you can quickly think of all the good 1st party titles and the good Konami, Hudson or other good 3rd party titles, from devs like Atlus or Natsume, and you can easily fill a 30 list games without not even being close to scrap the bottom.
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel like actually including imports and weird obscure games that might not be great but fun for novelty or whatever, you can probably fill a long list.

>> No.4232904
File: 113 KB, 432x336, flcli.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4232826
>Mario Party and Blast Corps
Hey, what's wrong with Blast Corps? It really is unforgettable, it's unique and fun
But no, I was talking more along the lines of titles such as Mario 64, Wave Race, Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X. You know, the classics.
I wouldn't list Mario Party among the best 30 titles on N64 personally, neither would I include SSX, and Conker, maybe, but not top 20 at least for me.
>Seriously, you'll have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel to even come close to filling a top 20, much less top 30, games list for N64.
Not at all, you can quickly think of all the good 1st party titles and the good Konami, Hudson or other good 3rd party titles, from devs like Atlus or Natsume, and you can easily fill a 30 list games without not even being close to scrap the bottom.
Scrapping the bottom of the barrel like actually including imports and weird obscure games that might not be great but fun for novelty or whatever, you can probably fill a long list.

>> No.4232914

>>4232890
>Blast Corps is boring shit
That, I suppose.

>> No.4232916

>>4232881
>or any Nintendo hater really
But I love Nintendo. I just hate the N64.

>> No.4232928

>>4232916
>struggles to name good games on the 64 and GC
>loves Nintendo
I pray that you're only pretending to be retarded.

>> No.4232943

>>4232914
Keep telling yourself that, maybe one day more will believe it.
They won't.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/196774-blast-corps/critic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/nintendo-64/blast-corps

>> No.4232965
File: 647 KB, 188x253, nope.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4232826
>Seriously, you'll have to start scraping the bottom of the barrel to even come close to filling a top 20
This is complete bullshit. There are dozens of great games on the N64 and you don't have to "scrape the bottom of the barrel" to find them. Your entire shitbird argument is predicated on the blatantly false meme that lesser known games like Blast Corps are somehow "bad" just because you haven't played them, but I guarantee you'd be the first faggot to bring up steaming garbage like Brave Fencer Musashi or some other "hidden gem" shovelware that you think is relevant.

I own an N64, Saturn and PS1 and have played the best games on each, and I would struggle to name 20~30 true must-play games for the other competing consoles. Each console of the gen had great games but N64 by far had the most polished, high-quality experiences of the day and the games had the most diverse gameplay. The best games on PS1 and Saturn are almost entirely composed of sidescrollers, RPGs and the like. There is absolutely nothing that approaches the style or quality of games like Majora's Mask, StarFox 64, Perfect Dark, F-Zero X, etc. Absolutely nothing. Hell, even the multiplats were almost always better on N64, solely because Nintendo wouldn't accept the game unless the dev were willing to put in extra effort to make the N64 version stand out.

Basically, your opinion is a steaming pile of shit and you have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.4232984

>>4232965
>Hell, even the multiplats were almost always better on N64
The only two I'm aware of are the Quake and the THPS series, both of which are the exact opposite of what you say. I also disagree with there being less than 20-30 must play games on the other systems.

>> No.4233047

>>4232984
>The only two I'm aware of are the Quake and the THPS series, both of which are the exact opposite of what you say.
It sounds like you're pretty ignorant on the subject. The N64 has better ports of just about everything else, including Gauntlet Legends and Rayman 2 which was absolutely fucking butchered on the PS1. Name me a PS1 port that you think is better and why. I've played many multiplats on both consoles and aside from a few sports games and movie games I can't think of a single one which was actually better on PS1.
>I also disagree with there being less than 20-30 must play games on the other systems.
You are entitled to disagree but you are wrong. I would love for you to provide me with a list of all these classics so I can point out how many fucking derivative JRPGs and arcade ports there are, meanwhile actual good games like Medievil and Metal Gear Solid are incredibly few and far between.

>> No.4233062
File: 30 KB, 640x278, Rendar_and_Leebo-N64.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To me a lot of multiplats on N64 gain extra points for no loading times.
In retrospect, things like FMVs aren't really that necessary, and sometimes, the N64 got the best end of the stick (for example the sprite-based cutscenes on Shadows of the Empire are miles better than the ugly CGI ones from the PC version, at least to me)

>> No.4233064

>>4233047
Unfortunately I have no dog is this race, I'm also not the original person you were trying to argue with. I just noticed your message, thought of my personal experience with ports, and disagreed on those i mentioned. If you'd like a list of good games for the Saturn and Playstation I suggest using google.

In the mean time you can go ahead and point out whatever it is you wanted to point out. I'm sure someone will care enough to keep arguing with you at some point.

>> No.4233069

>>4233062
>To me a lot of multiplats on N64 gain extra points for no loading times.
People often forget how big a deal this was back then. Playing Quake 2 on PS1 is a fucking chore because you have to spend 10 seconds loading a new area around every corner, whereas the N64 has no load times and feels so much more fluid as a result.
>In retrospect, things like FMVs aren't really that necessary
Old CGI is charming in a way, but it looks pretty shit. I'm honestly glad the N64 didn't bother with it, the games hold up much better as a result.

>> No.4233074

>>4233064
What the fuck is the point of even replying if you're just going to be an autistic slug? Don't bother to offer up an opinion when you're just going to back down like a bitch and tell me to "google good games" instead of providing an actual argument. Like I said, you are ignorant on the subject and I don't really give a fuck about your opinion if it is based on false information. Quake 2 is objectively better on the N64 in almost every way and this extends to most multiplats on the N64. This is the truth and the fact you have to resort to fucking google to argue your point for you only further demonstrates how little you know about it.

>> No.4233075

>>4233069
Some old CGI can be charming, sure, but the Shadows of the Empire one I find really ugly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfSrTImTOyg

The N64 version cutscenes have that classic spriteart from LucasArts, reminds me of stuff like monkey island and the like.

>> No.4233102

>>4232731
My analog stick is broken on the one I have for it. I need to buy a new one.

>> No.4233104

>>4233074
>why give your opinion on a messageboard designed for it
I also didn't back down from anything. Never did I offer to "prove you wrong" or whatever. You're so amped up for a fight that isn't even happening... Honestly, why are you so upset? I doubt it's because someone can enjoy more than 20 games on a Playstation. This seems way deeper...

>> No.4233107

>>4232435
there are literally no N64 games that would ever require you to use a claw grip lmao

>> No.4233121

>>4232731
>The Gamecube stick has a lot more of deadzone, same with dualshock, Xbox and any other controller with an analog stick.
Stopped reading there. Deadzone is controlled by the software. There are some early dualshock games that let you calibrate the sticks and even adjust the deadzone yourself.

>> No.4233127

>>4233121
The N64 controller has a higher possible allowance of deadzone and angle steps. The software calibrates the deadzone, obviously, but it's still limited by the controller. The N64 joystick has a massive range compared to virtually all controllers that came before or after.

>> No.4233130

>>4233121
I Just know that when I tried to set my PS3 controller to play emulated N64 games, I couldn't make it as precise as the original controller.
Same with GC controller on Wii's N64 VC titles.

>> No.4233141

>>4233130
Even if you use a raphnet gamecube to n64 adapter, which is calibrated to make use of the FULL gamecube deadzone and angle step allowance and make it accurate as possible, it still doesn't have as much range as the N64 joystick.

Even 3rd party n64 controllers fail in this regard.

>> No.4233157

Unrelated, Thought I would post here since the threat is about the n64. I have a 64DD unit that somehow lost its ability to rewrite, overwrite, and delete save data. Example: I am repeating the same day in Doshin the Giant everytime I pop the disk in. I have experience fixing consoles but I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Does anyone here have any idea how to fix the 64DD for it to be able to mess with save data again? Thanks.

>> No.4234034

>>4233107
>reading comprehension

Let me help you out. It was an analogy. A console using a controller like the N64 controller, is like, say, a Playstation game that uses a claw grip control scheme. They both work, but it's still a poor decision. If they (both the N64 controller and the hypothetical game that requires a claw grip) were designed well, they would be simpler and more comfortable, and the designs would have maintained similar forms over the generations. However, they are neither, at least in comparison to other controllers and control schemes.

>> No.4234059
File: 30 KB, 480x398, nintendo-n-nintendo-consoles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4232816
If you wanna include atomic purple, then you have to include all those other transparent colors too... which I won't.

Yellow > black > blue > red > gray > green

>> No.4234076

>>4233127
>>4233130
All I know is that in an old racing game (might have actually been GT, not sure), you could calibrate it to zero deadzone, and the game would detect input even if your controller's natural neutral position was off.

>> No.4234362

>>4233141
Superpad 64 works decently

>> No.4234595

>>4234034
>A console using a controller like the N64 controller, is like, say, a Playstation game that uses a claw grip control scheme.
No it's not. What in the fuck are you yammering on about? A controller that you hold with a standard grip that has an unused 1/3 isn't at all like being forced to use an uncomfortable, nonstandard grip.

You're retarded, aren't you? That's the dumbest fucking analogy I've ever heard.

>> No.4235082

>>4232816
Of course green is the best color, it's the color of money.

>> No.4235108

>>4234595
locating the analog stick directly above the grip does create a somewhat uncomfortable position for the thumb and in general holding the N64 controller in the analog position feels a bit cockeyed. The Wii Nunchuck has the same quality but it's a bit less thick and your hand wraps around it better.

I'm glad that Nintendo finally got over their snowflake contrarianism and released the Classic Controller which is more in line with the objective conventions. It's kind of funny that Sony so blatantly ripped off the SNES controller but then Nintendo just let them have it for two and a half more generations.

>> No.4235167

>>4235108
I'd hardly call the Playstation controller a rip off of the snes controller.

A soap bar is just the natural shape for a controller with the most comfortable layout. Sony improved on the basic soap bar design that nintendo and sega had been doing, and added the extra grip for the hands.

>> No.4235176
File: 122 KB, 721x475, PS1-evolution2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235167
The Playstation controller is nothing like the Genesis controller.

>> No.4235180

>>4228756
before the whole retrogaming craze took off this was everyone's favorite shit (even while ps2 / xbox / gamecube existed)
my church youth group always had one set up for kids to play all the time and it was the shit, until niggers broke in and stole all the youth pastor's good n64 games. he actually quit because of that
the weed guy at my college played the fuck out of it too
N64 is AMAZING MY DUDES

>> No.4235196

>>4235176
The genesis controller is just curved more.

It's just the most basic, and best layout for a controller/buttons, so of course they are going to look similar.

All those controllers share a similar soap bar shape.
The megadrive controller curved the top more, and elongated the bottom parts into points to give the grip.
The PS1 controller kept the round flat areas for the buttons, but added the longer grips.

The similarities with the snes controller are basically the button layout, which is just a naturally good layout that people find comfortable to use. You could argue that it has the same round areas, but of course it would be round, because a square controller wouldn't be very comfortable.

>> No.4235596

>>4235176
They where making a Nintendo console, it makes sense.

>> No.4235635

>>4235196
The mega drive controller is arched not flat. It has no select button. The d-pad is fundamentally different. If anything looking at the mega drive controller should make it more obvious how similar the Playstation controller is to the SNES controller.

>>4235596
Yes it does make sense. That image of all the prototype Playstation controllers Sony supposedly went through to arrive at a controller nearly identical to the snes controller is kind of suspicious but the way Nintendo went far out of their way to make crazy "not a Playstation" controllers for the following two generations and obstinately avoided using the CD Rom format not to mention that hasty and ill-advised liason with Phillips all sends a pretty clear message on their feelings toward Sony.

>> No.4235676

>>4235635
>Yes it does make sense. That image of all the prototype Playstation controllers Sony supposedly went through to arrive at a controller nearly identical to the snes controller is kind of suspicious but the way Nintendo went far out of their way to make crazy "not a Playstation" controllers for the following two generations and obstinately avoided using the CD Rom format not to mention that hasty and ill-advised liason with Phillips all sends a pretty clear message on their feelings toward Sony.
Nintendo was on denial. They fucked up.

>> No.4235709

>>4230985
Most of the Wii sales are from casuals. I see them for sale at almost every garage sale I go to and when I ask the people usually have no other games or systems.

>> No.4235734

>>4235635
You're missing the point.

The basic shape and layout for all these controllers is the same.

It's not that sony copied nintendo. That shape just happens to be the perfect shape/layout for a controller.

Notice almost every company went with a block, with two protruding parts for grips. It's just a simple design that works. The extent of those protruding parts changes, megadrive had a curved shape with longer protruding grip, snes had a flat shape with smaller protruding parts. And then playstation took that basic concept and made the protruding parts longer, so they could keep the overall body of the controller small, but still give you enough grip.

The only company that really experimented with different designs was nintendo.

Dreamcast, xbox, playstation all stuck to the tried and tested formula, but with variations on the size of the main body, and the size of the protruding grip.

It's like how all smartphones look alike now. It's not because they are copying eachother, or creating ripoffs of eachothers phones. It's just that shape and button layout makes the most sense from an ergonomic perspective, and so everyone uses that basic blueprint as the starting point.

>> No.4235738

>>4235709
>Most of the Wii sales are from casuals
Most of the sales of any system are from casuals. What, do you think millions of people are hardcore?
Most playstation systems are bought by people who want to play sports games.

>> No.4235742

>>4232965
I actually had the misfortune to rent Blast Corps from the video rental shop over the weekend back in the day. It's an ugly, disorientating, clunky piece of shit. One of the worst playing games I have encountered over the years. When's the last time you played Blast Corps?

>> No.4235761

>>4235742
>clunky
Maybe you were just a shit player as a kid?
>disorientating
kek, sorry for your genetic deficiency.

>> No.4235765

>>4235742
Not him but recently.
>disorienting
The game has literally lights that guide you to the targets and the path you must take (even tough you can go anywhere in a semi-sandbox style)
If Blast Corps is one of the worst playing games you've encountered, then boy you were lucky.

>> No.4235774

>>4235734
If you can't see how the Playstation controller is nearly identical to the SNES controller and significantly different from the Mega Drive and PC Engine controllers you're blind.

>> No.4235830
File: 107 KB, 849x436, TheresGotToBeABetterWay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Why does it have 3 handles? I don't have 3 hands
>How do I press the Z button?
>Oh. Well now how am I supposed to press the L button?
>Why can't I use the analog stick and the d pad at the same time?
>My hands hurt
>The handle on the left looks lonely
>Why are there 6 face buttons? I only have one thumb

Children 20 years ago were able to figure this out in like 2 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8-yANPX2I

>> No.4235865

>>4235774
I would say you are blind if you can't see the very basic design concept that is present in all 3 of those controllers.

>> No.4236067

I still don't think the controller is comfortable but it's tolerable enough to enjoy what I play. It's usually very uncomfortable to first time users and most just couldn't get over that first impression.

>> No.4236074

>>4235830
It not that people are incapable of figuring out how to use the controller.

It was that they couldn't figure out why it has to be that way.

>> No.4236163

>>4235196
Ur just wrong faggot. Anybody with a working brain can make the logical deduction that the psx controller was ripped off from the snes, because of the sony nintendo deal to make a disc based console.

>> No.4236191
File: 1.19 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_0638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the N64, but I hate how hard it is to find decent controllers now. The joystick on the ones I originally bought with the system are wearing out and becoming loose.

I actually just ordered two controllers online that were labelled as Nintendo, but when they arrived today they are clearly off-brand. They look really similar except they lack the "Nintendo" logo in the lowered oval at the top.

I paid a really cheap price for them, so I'm not super upset about it, but the joystick feels a little stiff and the buttons seem cheap. Anybody else have some of these? What were your experiences?

>> No.4236316

>>4235176
Playstation is just an offspring of the prototype Nintendo Playstation. Obviously the controller wasn't going to be that much different from the SNES controller.

>> No.4236396

>>4234595
>A controller that you hold with a standard grip that has an unused 1/3
And you think I'm retarded?

That's not what I'm saying at all. I acknowledge that the entire N64 controller is used, it's just that you switch which parts you're holding for different games. That's my point. By needing to switch how you hold the controller, it's already needlessly complicated when other controllers with the same amount of buttons can be held in just one way for every game with access to every button at once.

The reason you don't see three-handled controllers anymore is the same reason you don't see games that requires you to use the claw grip anymore: We realized it's a shitty thing that we don't need anymore because we were already making something better.

>> No.4236683 [DELETED] 

>>4236396
>The reason you don't see three-handled controllers anymore
Literally any console with a touch screen you dunce.

DS
Wii U
PS Vita

>other controllers with the same amount of buttons can be held in just one way for every game with access to every button at once.
No, they can't. You have to move your left and right thumbs into different positions to use either the d-pad on a playstation or xbox controller. That's not "having access to every button at once." In fact, there is no controller in existence where you have access to every button at once. Your standards are literally impossible.

>> No.4236695

>>4236396
>The reason you don't see three-handled controllers anymore
Literally any console with a touch screen/stylus you dunce.

DS
Wii U
PS Vita

>other controllers with the same amount of buttons can be held in just one way for every game with access to every button at once.
No, they can't. You have to move your left and right thumbs into different positions to swap between the d-pad/left joystick and the face buttons/right joystick on a playstation or xbox controller. That's not "having access to every button at once". In fact, there is no standard modern controller in existence on which you have access to every button "at once". Your standards are literally impossible.

>> No.4236702

>>4228756
>current year
>grown adult
>caring what others think

You're a pathetic man infant OP.

>> No.4236792

>>4236163
You're an idiot if you can't see that all these controllers follow the same basic design.

It's not ripping off the snes controller. That layout and shape just happens to be the best way of making a controller with that number of buttons.

Look what happens when companies stray from that basic design. you get things like the N64 controller.

>> No.4236820

>>4236702
Being an adult is all about keeping others' opinions in mind when making decisions, it's the natural instinct of most humans who have the potential or at least dream to reach alpha status and lead a pack of their own one day.

Those that don't care are typically betas that are so beaten down they've simply given up on life in general.

>> No.4237030

>>4236316
I agree that it's obvious and the point I was trying to make was about what it says about Nintendo that they felt the need to diverge so wildly from it for both the N64 and GC but there are Anons who deny the obvious

>> No.4237097

>>4237030
I doubt the playstation controller is why they decided to diverge from the snes design.
Nintendo have always tried do different things with their controllers and consoles. They are a company who experiment.

>> No.4237107

>>4228756
The controller sucks.

>> No.4237198

>>4236695
>Literally any console with a touch screen/stylus you dunce.
You could extend this to any console that uses 3rd party peripherals for certain games. Like any console that has DDR or Guitar Hero, for example.

That guy is an actual retard.

>> No.4237467

>>4236695
>You have to move your left and right thumbs
That's not changing how you hold the controller... By that logic just using a different button other than X means changing how you hold the controller.

>> No.4237480

>>4228756
I have very fond memories of groups of my friends being crammed around a CRT playing four player Mario Kart, Goldeneye or Wrestlemania 64.

>> No.4237532

Obscure gems for the N64 that are currently cheap?

I already own the most famous stuff.

>> No.4237548

>>4237532
Rocket: Robot on Wheels?
Fighting Force 64?
Dark Rift?
Re-Volt?
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness? (mixed opinions on the controls but fun once you get the hang of it)

Wait shit I have no idea if these are cheap or not. Just good games that may be less well-known.

>> No.4237597

>>4237030
I agree with you completely. The anons here deny it because they're blind sheep that worship Nintendo.

>> No.4237620

>>4237467
>By that logic just using a different button other than X means changing how you hold the controller.
Technically that is true.

>> No.4237649

>>4237548
Dude all of those games are hot trash. If you're going to give him recommendations, at least list some good games.
>>4237532
DOOM 64
Quake 1 + 2
Wetrix
Tetrisphere
Blast Corps
Killer Instinct Gold

Not all of these are "obscure" so to speak, but at least lesser known/played and can be had for $20 or less in good condition. N64 is actually one of the best consoles to collect for right now because the game prices haven't inflated like crazy, which seems to be the same for almost every other console, even newer stuff like GameCube. Even the best games, like Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 64 rarely go above $50, and even the "expensive" stuff isn't too bad, like $80 for Ogre Battle 64 or StarCraft 64, although like any system it has a small number of games which are absurdly priced. Thankfully, most of them are total shit anyway (Clayfighter 63 1/2 for example).

>> No.4237652

>>4237107
No, you suck at using the controller.

>> No.4237656

>>4237030
You're fight faggot pants, Nintendo spent millions of dollars and countless hours developing the N64 and GCN controllers to spite Sony and purposely avoid doing anything like they did. It had nothing to do with the fact they wanted to try something different.

I'm beginning to think you are actually mentally retarded. Not in a "haha, you're a retard" way, but seriously, you have a mental deficiency that majorly impacts your perceptive abilities.

>> No.4237937

>>4237656
>You're fight faggot pants, Nintendo spent millions of dollars and countless hours developing the N64 and GCN controllers to spite Sony and purposely avoid doing anything like they did
[citation needed]

>> No.4238137

>>4236191
I stick to OEM controllers. Also, I learned to use 1964 to check controllers... you'll miss minor flaws by plugging it in and just playing some Mario Kart.

>> No.4238207

>>4237937
You realize this was sarcasm right retard?

>> No.4238281

>>4237652
>Nintendo fanboy in denial
The controller really does suck and I own a N64, happen to play WWF No Mercy very well. Has nothing to do with people sucking at using the controller. It's just one of Nintendo's worst designs.

>> No.4238307
File: 177 KB, 1280x720, AMSH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate to be the one to bring up the greatest game of all time on N64. Well this and Jet Force Gemini.

>> No.4238313

>>4238307
It was better on the Sega Dreamcast.

>> No.4238317

>>4238313
lol funny how it's on the two systems with literally the worst designed controllers in history

>> No.4238346

>>4238317
The Dreamcast controller wasn't the worst design. In fact Microsoft used that design for their Xbox console. Which reminds me, I can't wait to buy that new Duke controller.

>> No.4238415

>>4229445
No Quake?

>> No.4238471

>>4238415
Quake and Quake 2 are excellent on N64. Coincidentally, I'm playing Quake 1 on N64 right now. Quake purists will shun these versions, but they really are fantastic. The colored lighting, additional secrets and hub-less design of Quake 64 really improves the game for me, and the entirely new levels of Quake 2 and myriad changes are a welcome addition.

>> No.4238481

>>4238471
yep, I played Quake64 back when I was like toddler status, and I remember it scaring the ever loving daylights out of me...

>> No.4238502

>>4228756
Shitty games and inferior ports are mostly why I didn't like it. Even the most recommended games are 'meh' compared to ones available on other consoles, and that's not considering the fact that PC absolutely had the better games. Most of their "big" games were basically huge empty landscapes, and no matter what you say the controller did suck, but mainly because the stick went to shit rather quickly.

>> No.4238581

>>4232904
Well I quickly thought of the company's you listed so let's compare from what you provided
(1st party is not included)

N64
>Atlus
Snowboard Kids, one Ogre game
>Hudson
Bomberman and Star Solider.
>Konami
Castlevania 64 beta and 1.0 and some shitty basketball games
>Natsume
Harvest Moon

PSX
>Atlus
5 Persona games (this includes the re-release of the SFC games), 2 Ogre Battle games, Karita, Thousand Arms, 2 Brigandine games, Growlanser, Strikers
>Hudson
Well you got it there, they didn't do much, instead licensing out Bomberman to be relased state side by Atlus
>Konami
Silent Hill, Suikoden I & II, 2 Castlevania games (a new one and a rerelease of the Sharp X86000 one), Snatcher, 2 Vandal Hearts game, Hellknight Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid, Project Overkill, Kensei
>Natsume
The only advantage here is they PSX got Harvest Moon and Bust A Move 4

>> No.4238596

>>4238581
Why did you turn it into a Nintendo vs Sony thing though?
Also, the fact you didn't include Goemon under N64 Konami already tells you don't really know the N64 catalog much.

>> No.4238618

you can jerk off your first console all you want but it doesnt change the fact it was a blurry mess with a horrendous controler

nintendo really dropped the ball with this atrocity

>> No.4238625

>>4238502
>Shitty games
It has the most highly rated games of the gen. Sounds like you just have shitty taste.
>inferior ports
Now this is a good one. Ironically, the N64 received superior ports of almost every major game. It sounds like you are pretty ignorant on the subject so I don't really expect you to know any better, but I'd like to hear what these "inferior ports" are that you speak of. Rayman 2, Quake 2, Gauntlet Legends and other big multiplats s were all vastly better on the N64.
>Even the most recommended games are 'meh' compared to ones available on other consoles
Wow another non-argument, big surprise.
> Most of their "big" games were basically huge empty landscapes
Holy shit, imagine being this retarded. "Big empty landscapes". You faggots can't even keep your stories straight. One minute you say the library is made up of "collectathons" with too many things to do, the next you say the games are "big empty landscapes". What games are these? Please enlighten me.
> no matter what you say the controller did suck
No, it didn't. You suck at using it.
>but mainly because the stick went to shit rather quickly
This is the only valid point you've made in your entire post, and even then, "rather quickly" can be measured in a matter of years.

>> No.4238629

>>4238625
holy shit you really got nothing better to do than dissect a shitpost that hard lmao

>> No.4238630

>>4238625
No it doesn't.
That's the opinion of a nintendo fanboy, I guess.
Compared to "YOU'RE WRONG!!!"?
I never said collectathons. Maybe you meant to quote someone else?

>> No.4238638

>>4238618
The N64 wasn't my first console, and it's not my favorite system either, but I like it.
>blurry
People parroting the blurry thing makes me think of people whose first time with the N64 was on an emulator and a modern computer monitor.

Haters like you are as obnoxious as blind fanboys who claim N64 is the best console ever made.

>> No.4238642
File: 26 KB, 479x358, 1483673160395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this thread

>> No.4238643

>>4238630
>No it doesn't.
>That's the opinion of a nintendo fanboy, I guess.
Ironic that you accuse my argument being "No it doesn't" when that is literally your own argument.
>I never said collectathons. Maybe you meant to quote someone else?
Work on your reading comprehension you fucking retard. I repeat:
> You faggots can't even keep your stories straight. One minute you say the library is made up of "collectathons" with too many things to do, the next you say the games are "big empty landscapes".
Are you too stupid to understand what this means?

I'm still waiting for a list of these "inferior ports" you speak of.

>> No.4238650
File: 189 KB, 550x365, 1458888053843.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MODS

>> No.4238651

>>4238650
What exactly would be the point of wearing a ski mask and business casual at the same time?

>> No.4238653

>>4238596
This shitposter has been trying his best to /v/ the thread out since it was started. Doesn't seem to be much purpose here other than for that guy to rage out on everyone.

>> No.4238656

>>4238643
>Are you too stupid to understand what this means?
That I never said collectathons. Again, maybe you mean to quote someone else?

>> No.4238663

>>4238651
how else are you planning to rob a virtual bank anon?
hawaii shirt and hockey mask?

>> No.4238665

>>4238656
>That I never said collectathons. Again, maybe you mean to quote someone else?
I don't know how much more simple I can make this for you.
>You faggots can't even keep your stories straight. One minute you say the library is made up of "collectathons" with too many things to do, the next you say the games are "big empty landscapes".
See that "s" on the end of "faggot"? That implies multiple people. The point is that those who typically criticize the N64's games attack the "collectathons" which they believe to be too complicated for their tiny peanut brains. You, conversely, are saying the exact opposite by implying that the games are somehow "empty". Holy fucking shit why do I need to explain the basics of grammar to you?

Now, so far, you've made a baseless argument predicated upon, mainly, A) "inferior ports" and B) "empty landscapes". I would like you to list for me the inferior ports and games with empty landscapes you speak of, or shut the fuck up because you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

>> No.4238670

>>4238665
And you think you're better than the "whole collective" of /vr/?

If you are trying to argue with an anon you can't shoehorn your assumptions into a discussion otherwise you're just asking to be called out on being a total dicksucking faggot.

>> No.4238672

>>4238670
>And you think you're better than the "whole collective" of /vr/?
What the fuck are you even trying to say here retard? No I don't think I'm "better than the whole collective of /vr/", I think you are making a retarded point and you continue to refuse to back it up.

>If you are trying to argue with an anon you can't shoehorn your assumptions into a discussion otherwise you're just asking to be called out on being a total dicksucking faggot
The only dicksucking faggot here is the one who insults the N64 by saying blatantly retarded things like "the games have empty landscapes" and then refuses to mention the games he's talking about. How many paint chips have you eaten exactly?

>> No.4238676
File: 2.56 MB, 190x200, 1462198410581.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238672
you are a troll and a wizard

good day sir

>> No.4238682 [DELETED] 
File: 356 KB, 1214x1239, ravaged.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238676
>you are a troll and a wizard
Lmao just like I thought, a faggot child that has no argument because he's never even owned the console he shits on. Keep backing down like a bitch, too easy.

>> No.4238684
File: 510 KB, 621x672, unseaed-40506-ramsay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238676
>AVGN reaction gif
this puts you in the wrong, just so you know.

>> No.4238693

>>4238676
>spends an hour shitposting about how bad the N64 is for arbitrary reasons
>can't name a single game that sucks for the reasons he stated
...lol

>> No.4238715
File: 13 KB, 380x379, f_69af6d475a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238676
Lmao just like I thought, a faggot child with no argument because he's never even played the console he shits on. Keeping backing down bitch, too easy.

>> No.4238717

>>4228904
Damn, someone wasn't a fan of bomberman or gauntlet. They're as niche as you can get for an anti-tendo gamer.

>> No.4238736

>>4228904
>Shame the only mp games people care about for it are babby nintoddler trash and mediocre shooters that run at 5fps in vs mode
Wow, I've heard a lot of autistic complaints about the N64, but attacking the multiplayer has never been one of them. What the fuck does the Saturn or PS1 have? Absolutely jack shit. N64 has Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Gauntlet Legends, Mario Party, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero X, StarFox 64, Wetrix, Hexen, Killer Instinct Gold, tons of shit. I beat your faggot ass played Crash Team Racing as a child, lmao...

>> No.4238774
File: 547 KB, 674x578, Quake64.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Despite the flame ware this desolved into I want to thank you guys, you pushed me to download the Project64 emulator, some Roms, and finally configure my Xbox controller to play on my PC. So..excuse me while I play Quake64, Rogue Squadron and Wave Racer64

>> No.4238804

>>4238596
It was already that before and what's wrong with comparing the two major systems of said generation. Any of the posts against N64 where people like you who either said the PS had shovel ware or that because one game wasn't mentioned that they don't know anything. The amount of autism it comes to when you try and make a criticism about the N64 is mind blowing. Th level of denial is insane almost so much so that you would think they never played anything besides N64

>> No.4238812

>>4238804
Your post doesn't make any sense.
You're trying to say that I'm defending or criticizing the N64?
Anyway no, the original discussion didn't involve the PS at all, see:
>>4232794
>>4232810
>>4232826
>>4232904
Have a good night.

>> No.4238827

>>4232794
>>4232810
>>4232904

why you guys keep talking about SSX? The N64 never had a SSX game.

>> No.4238870

>>4238827
Yea seriously...SSX literally wasn't invented during n64's time period. All it had was 1080 snowboarding...which by it's own right was pretty good actually

>> No.4238871

>itt: a bunch of retards that know nothing about the N64 library.

"hurr durr I can't think of 20 good n64 games"
let me help you, pleb...

mario 64
conker's bfd
banjo kazooie
banjo tooie
DK64
bomberman hero
duck dodgers
rayman 2
bettle adventure racing
star wars racer
san francisco rush 2049
excitebike 64
wave race 64
world driver championship
ridge racer 64
perfect dark
007 goldeneye
007 the world is not enough
turok
turok 2
turok 3
duke nukem 64
quake
quake 2
doom 64
resident evil 2
shadowman
gauntlet legends
custom robo
custom robo 2
shiren 2
star wars rogue squadron
star wars battle for naboo
star fox 64
bangai-o
mischief makers
kirby 64
goemon's great adventure
yoshi story
jet force gemini
duke nukem zero hour
megaman 64
sin & punishment
winback
star wars shadows of the empire
indiana jones and the infernal machine
paper mario
aidyn chronicles
hybrid heaven
pokemon stadium
pokemon stadium 2
ogre battle 64
mario party
mario party 2
mario party 3
f-zero x
road rash 64
extreme g
extreme g2
wipeout 64
blast corps
starcraft 64
wwf no mercy
mario kary 64
diddy kong racing
snowboard kids
snowboard kids 2
the legend of zelda ocarina of time
the legend of zelda majora's mask
mystical ninja starring goemon
pokemon snap
body harvest
spiderman
mario tennis
mario golf
harvest moon 64
animal forest
super smash bros
killer instinct gold
rakuga kids
tony hawk
tony hawk 2
tony hawk 3
1080 snowboarding

I've probably forgot some good games, but that's it, 84 great games from the top of my head.

>> No.4238875

>>4228756
I'm fine with the design of the system, it just never got many games that interested me.

Most of them being ugly didn't help much either.

>> No.4238894

>>4228795
For once I agree with almost everything he said.

At this point someone saying they don't understand why N64 has the low reputation it does is either deluded or feigning stupidity. The reasons for the consensus are obvious, individuals may not agree but it doesn't change things.

>> No.4238897
File: 864 KB, 851x596, GRdtFqo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238871
Shit, this list has some good ones, and unknown gems. Ridge Racer 64 was classic.. of course goldeneye, OgreBattle64, a late comer but well worth it... Mario Tennis, yep great on, Tony Hawk, great music and really ahead of it's time..Jet force Gemini could very well be one of the best on all of N64, (I didn't even know there was Custom robo on N64..) Great list man.. but I'm surprised you listed Star Wars shadow of the empire but not Star Wars Rogue Squadron.. To me R.S was better than SotE

>> No.4238912

>>4238897

I listed rogue squadron. It's right there alongside star fox and star wars battle for naboo.

>> No.4238946

>>4238912
Ah I see it. okay. in that case please accept your award for greatest list of N64 games.

>> No.4238993

>>4238897
Oh shit the nostalgias... they are hitting me hard..

>> No.4239000
File: 53 KB, 629x468, RRig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4238897
>>4238993

I admit I love the "trail lines" from the car's head and tail lights when making sharp turns...as well as the night time neon tracks..reminded me of Akira

>> No.4239056

I had never heard of anyone having issues with the controller until I started looking on gaming forums. I actually remember more people whose first console was an N64 thinking the PS1 controller was stiff, when it was current.

The N64 was a good console for people who only bought a game or two per year, especially people who gamed socially. For those sorts of people, the library depth is adequate. It was also less failure prone. I'd say it's a pretty solid console over all, just not top tier.

>> No.4239137
File: 77 KB, 1280x720, Mariabestgirl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The N64 made my teen years, it was a beastly machine, a bit flawed but soooooooooo good

Years later i discovered emulation and got hooked to Harvest Moon 64, wich didn't come to PAL territory. Hell i ended purchasing it on Wii U

>> No.4239141

>>4239137
Been thinking of picking this up. How is it? I've heard it's kinda-sorta like Animal Crossing?

>> No.4239161

Had a six fo as a kid but didn't hold onto it. Not a huge fan of it but there's some great games [including imports] that make me wanna pick one up.

>> No.4239169

>>4239161
> Not a huge fan of it but there's some great games [including imports] that make me wanna pick one up.
Do it. N64 has one of the cheapest collecting scenes right now, but it is quickly picking up and if you wait a few years the prices will sky rocket. You're only "not a huge fan" because you haven't been introduced to the right games, of which there are many.

>> No.4239193
File: 45 KB, 800x450, WVW69kl76d4LU9fv-c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4239141
Well, kinda. Animal Crossing is a relaxing game, Harvest Moon is more like a busylife simulator, but it's still kinda relaxing.

You need to manage your time properly to enjoy the game, since days are pretty short and your character can fall sick if you make him work too much after 6 P.M.

Once you hit the sweet spot it opens to you, you take care of your farm, make friends with people in town, feed your animals, collect materials to improve your house and farm and flirt with the girl of your choice giving her presents and talking to her. It's the kind of game that makes hour go away without you noticing.

Emulate and try first. If you like it, go for it. I don't know the original cart price, but on Wii U it costs 9.99 €/$. If you get it on Wii U play with a octogate controller (like the Wii classic controller or a Gamecube controller via Homebrew ) since it's designed with that in mind.

Oh, and it looks relatively gorgeous on the Gamepad screen.

>> No.4239375
File: 35 KB, 691x350, 222648_detail_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4239056
>I had never heard of anyone having issues with the controller until I started looking on gaming forums

This is how i knew the average hardcore gamer is just plain stupid

Give them something that gets out of the norm and they lose their shit, be it asymmetrical joystick placement, atypical button shapes, motion controls or a fucking screen on a controller. Fuck, the reaction to the steam controller was for me the straw that broke the camel's back. Now i don't post in gaming forums, i just lurk.

>> No.4239447

>>4238897
I fapped to that girl so many times when this game was regularly in game master

>> No.4239485

>>4238672
>I think you are making a retarded point and you continue to refuse to back it up.
Maybe that's because I'm not the one making that point. I never said collectathons.

>> No.4239487

>>4238871
>ario 64
Vast, open, ugly landscapes, devoid of any enemies
>conker's bfd
>banjo kazooie
>banjo tooie
You can have these. I'll concede they were good and exclusive to N64
>DK64
Lame ass collectathon
>bomberman hero
Can't comment
>duck dodgers
Can't comment
>rayman 2
Can't comment
>bettle adventure racing
I'll concede this is an exclusive
>star wars racer
Can't comment
>san francisco rush 2049
Better on any other platform
>excitebike 64
Sucked
>wave race 64
Was okay
>world driver championship
Sucked
>ridge racer 64
Meh
>perfect dark
>007 goldeneye
>007 the world is not enough
I'll concede these are decent eclusives
>turok
>turok 2
>turok 3
Better on PC
>duke nukem 64
>quake
>quake 2
>doom 64
Better on PC
>resident evil 2
>shadowman
No comment
>gauntlet legends
>yoshi story
I'll give you that
>harvest moon 64
Wasn't that great
>animal forest
Better on GCN
>super smash bros
Meh at best
>tony hawk
>tony hawk 2
>tony hawk 3
Better on other platform
>1080 snowboarding
meh

>> No.4239493

do you honestly expect anyone to have a reasonable discussion with you when you start off by claiming a lack of JRPGs, one of the biggest of N64's flaws according to many gamers, is acceptable because JRPGs are "shit"? Do you honestly believe an explanation like that is justifiable? Or do you know you're just being a little flamewar starting cunt?

>> No.4239504

>>4239493
Regardless of the OP, people who want to have a reasonable discussion will actually have a reasonable discussion.

>> No.4239506

>>4239487
>Sucked
You didn't play it

>> No.4239508

I liked the N64 for quite a few titles, it had a little bit of charm but honestly the problem is that it's still ass to emulate these days.

>> No.4239579

>>4239508
>the n64 sucks because it's hard to emulate
Great logic there.

>> No.4239624

>>4239487
Your post reeks of ignorance and trolling, but i'm bored, so oh well...
>Mario 64
>Vast, open, ugly landscapes, devoid of any enemies
It actually has a lot of them, and they are quite dangerous
>Donkey Kong 64
>Lame ass collectathon
Still, it was a technical feat for the N64
>san francisco rush 2049
>Better on any other platform
That doesn't make it less good
>excitebike 64
>Sucked
No
>wave race 64
>Was okay
Impressive for a launch title, and a good arcade game for its time
>Sucked
>ridge racer 64
>Meh
No
>duke nukem 64
>quake
>quake 2
>doom 64
>Better on PC
Quake 2 and Doom 64 aren't even the same as in PC, and Doom 64 is quite loved
>resident evil 2
Still pretty good
>harvest moon 64
>Wasn't that great
It was, but still is
>animal forest
>Better on GCN
Is exactly the same but upressed
>super smash bros
>Meh at best
>1080 snowboarding
>meh
Yeah, fuck you
>tony hawk
>tony hawk 2
>tony hawk 3
>Better on other platform
Still good games

>> No.4239653
File: 1.51 MB, 480x360, shockinglifts.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4239487
>SM64
Imagine missing the point this hard. Why would having lots of enemies even matter in a game like this?

>> No.4239738

>>4239487

you didn't comment on 2/3 of the list and you're probably trolling, but anyways...

>ario 64
how do you call that "vast"? the point of the game is plataforming, not killing enemies.

>san francisco rush 2049
it just came out on dreamcast other the N64. So yeah, a generation ahead, it's better on a 128bits machine.

>>excitebike 64
>Sucked
you suck

>turok
>turok 2
>turok 3
>Better on PC
turok 3 never came out for pc

>duke nukem 64
>quake
>quake 2
>doom 64
>Better on PC
retard, duke nukem 64, quake 2 and doom are not the same games as the ones on pc

>resident evil 2
the N64 version is better than the ps1 version. That's a fact.

>gauntlet legends
if by any other platform you mean the shitty ps1 version with less enemies and support to only 2 players, you're wrong.

>> No.4239747

>>4228795
Sounds about right. Once again, everybody thinking their subjetive experience resembles the one of the majority.

>> No.4239946

>>4238871
i could have look at wikipedia or a emulation site but that's not the point i dont care enough about a stupid system that so many people worship because they cannot let go off the past. i understand that it is traumatizing when you are wrong because so many happy experiences are carved into the brain and it is hard to let go of good happy feeling and embrace reality so you kick and scream like new born baby because small ego needs to feed often. you must give in and surrender to the truth - everything that you liked as a kid was terrible, youre parents were to poor to afford you nice things, you have no taste only because you refuse to listen to ideas of others, and you know nothing and will never learn anything because you only repeat your own same ideas in head many times

>> No.4240014

>>4239738
Even though the Dreamcast version of Rush 2049 is better, the N64 version is very solid. Both have the same polygon count, and mostly the same textures. The Dreamcast version just runs at a higher resolution and framerate, and some textures are upgraded.

You literally could not be disappointed by buying the N64 version even though the Dreamcast version exists.

>> No.4240035

>>4239946
The thing is, it's alright if you don't like the system, but what do you gain trying to convince others to hate it along with you?
Yours is an unpopular opinion you know.

>> No.4240038

>>4232778
I agree wholeheartedly. Why are Nintentoddlers allowed on this board? They're a fucking embarrassment and make real mature gamers like me and you look bad for even occupying the same board as me.

>b-but Nintendo excelled at making platformers!

Bullshit, Nintendo didn't excel at one god damn thing. I take that back, actually. They excel at one thing. Nintendo excels at being for babies and man children who run away when they see blood because they are immature babyfags and can't handle a deep, dark, serious game like I can. Sega and Sony had games that reflected the inner darkness of my soul from having two Christmases since my parents were divorced, while Nintendo did kiddy shit because nintentoddlers are fucking babies who never had to rough it in high school like real people, like me, who had to deal with bullies and preppy douchebags since they didn't understand my real power...

>> No.4240067

>>4240038
I seriously hope this is satire

>> No.4240084

>>4240035
oh i like it but the idea that people are getting angry over a stupid system and it could be any system. some person here said that they don't like japanese rpgs but at same time snes was a system that had many many japanese rpgs some would say the best ones. my point is the system is fine there are bad things about it just like any system but the people that jump to defend it like a knight trying to save a bloated ugly princess because of vague memories imprinted in childhood well that is what is the real shit thing here

>> No.4240097

>>4240038
saved to vrpasta.txt

>> No.4240145

>>4240067
Nah, that's how 90% of sega fanboys act

>> No.4240362

>>4239738
>>4239653
>>4239624
Obviously there's no arguing with fanboys.

>> No.4240368

>>4240145
Pretty much this, not that Nintendo fanboys are all that much better.

Honestly consolewars and fanboy faggotry should be banned on-site here, it hijacks way too many threads and is the most /v/ aspect of this board.

>> No.4240478

>>4240368
>Pretty much this, not that Nintendo fanboys are all that much better.
I agree, they're just shit in different ways.

>> No.4240509

>>4239508
>Emulation
Cheapskate.

>>4240145
Nah. That's how PC fanboys act like.

>> No.4241116

Was the Yoshi64 game pretty much Super Mario World 2?

>> No.4241119
File: 43 KB, 320x237, yoshistoryNeuronjungle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4241116
No, it was called Yoshi's Story.
No "Super Mario" subtitle this time.

>> No.4241157

>>4228756
Everyone hates the fuck out of them until you offer to buy theirs, then they start to stutter and wander off bitching about pitchforks and hedgehogs....

>> No.4241167
File: 1.11 MB, 2100x1536, Army_Men_Air_Combat_(NA).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Left out one of the best series... Sarges Hero's 1 and Air Combat...

>> No.4241434

>>4240362
As if the post we were answerng to were reasonated enough.

>> No.4241706

>>4241434
Half your responses to games on that list sucking or being better on other consoles was "So?".

>> No.4241751

>>4241706
Half of the opinions in that lists were uneducated or complete bullshit. I highly doubt dude even compared Doom 64 and Quake 2 with their PC counterparts for example.

Just those two mistakes are enough to discredit the full list.

>> No.4241754

>>4241706
Not to mention that half of the opinions were "It's better on other plattforms" as if it made the games worse, and the full post was condescending as fuck.

>> No.4241808

>>4241751
>I highly doubt dude even compared Doom 64 and Quake 2 with their PC counterparts for example.
So you mean you haven't played them? Just typical.

>> No.4241818

>>4241808
I have played both on both plattforms. They can't be put agaisnt each other because they're not even the same game. Doom 64 isn't even a version of Doom ffs

>> No.4241826

>>4228852
PC gaming in the 90s sucked. The games that came out were good, but the reality of the era was:

>PC costs 7-8x more than any console
>no in-house multiplayer
>no multiplayer at all unless you have the internet...which in the n64's heyday was dial up only and charged by the minute all while tying up your phone line.
>virtually no market penetration for PC games. bluntly, if it couldnt be rented at blockbuster, no one's going to buy it
>games were complicated to install and good games required knowledge of PC hardware to meet compatibility...in the first era of normalized adoption. Yeah, good luck.

PCs didnt "win" until the 6th and 7th gen when you rose to 70-100% market penetration and familiarity, the cost of PCs went down while the cost of consoles went up and the ubiquity of always-on internet connections like DSL and broadband made multiplayer and other online services more feasible.

>> No.4241827

>>4241818
Oops I guess I misread your post

>> No.4241889

>>4229290
>Blast processing, look at it faggots!
>Look at that blue bastard move!
>You don't like the standard controller, here's 20 other options
>Dude yes! Pass the cocaine
Gotta love sega. Genesis is awesome

>> No.4241947

>>4228884
CLEAN YOUR CONSOLE

>> No.4242145

>>4241826
Late 90s PC gaming is when it took off. UT was my shit in middle school.

>> No.4242152

>>4241826
>no in-house multiplayer
Null-modem Jedi Knight. It was uncommon, but this is how we played.

>> No.4242368
File: 71 KB, 1280x720, tumblr_ovtdxwXv461vigcdbo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4241827
Yeah, i guess you did. Anyway, is that detail that prevented me to answer propertly, because the poster had no credibility whatsoever.

If i'm agaisnt someone who knows what he/she's talking about i don't care to elaborate, no matter how mucho of a moron he/she is.

>> No.4242451

>>4239375
The Steam controller is gay as fuck. What am I suppose to do with those nipple pads on top? Is it suppose to rub Gabe Newell's nips electronically?

>> No.4242460

>>4241826
>PC costs 7-8x more than any console

More like 3-4 times, but the cost is offset by a pc being useful for all kinds if other stuff.

>no in-house multiplayerq
In terms of like cpuch co-opas with consoles not so much, but there were many many multiplayer games

>no multiplayer at all unless you have the internet...which in the n64's heyday was dial up only and charged by the minute all while tying up your phone line.

That was just internet back then. It was still awesome despite how shitty it seems in retrospect.

>virtually no market penetration for PC games. bluntly, if it couldnt be rented at blockbuster, no one's going to buy it

I never had an issue with that. Doom, Civ, Myst etc all seemed pretty huge in my circles.

>games were complicated to install and good games required knowledge of PC hardware to meet compatibility...in the first era of normalized adoption. Yeah, good luck.

Also not really an issue. There were sometimes some headaches but it was a small inconvenience compared to many many hours of happy gaming.

Not to imply pcs were better or that consoles sucked, I akways loved both. But I didn't find the 'problems' with pc gaming really much of a hassle. And what hassle there was was well worth it for all the games there were.

Now it's not such a big deal because everything is multiplatform, but back then virutally every port from pc to console or the other way around was awful so it was well worth having both.

>> No.4242462

>>4241826
PC's still cost 7-8x more than any console today. Hence why PC hasn't destroyed the console market & probably never will. Not even the over price Steam Machines was able to dethrone consoles. It was too pricey & confusing to the consumer. And by confusing, I mean there was too many variations of the Steam Machines.

>> No.4242497

>>4242451
Yeah well, those are touch pads with haptic feedback, hugely configurable and both do their job pretty well. You can put tactile buttos or joysticks there, or you can, on the other hand use them to transform you usual joystick camera control into mouse/trackball camera control, and it works like a charm. To be honest, in a single week i had it when a friend lended it to me i was able to do with it waaay more that i could express in a quick post, moreso in a non-native language for me.

But if you leave stupidity aside and open your mind just a little you have one hell of a controller there. Problem is, you need to take your time learning how to use it effectively.

I was able to play comfortably with that controller from the original Quake to Dirt Rally (yeah yeah, not retro) That shit is great.

>> No.4242582

Picked up my 64 for the first time in years yesterday. The controller is smaller in my hands than I remember, and was easy to press any button my hand is on.
The complaint of the 3 handles is sort of a poor one since you rarely use the Dpad and control stick at the same time. I will admit the L button is a tad more difficult to reach than it should, but it's not AS bad as everyone says. I think the worst thing about it is the way the joystick is configured and how it can become insensitive over heavier wear and tear

>> No.4242596

>>4242462
>PC's still cost 7-8x more than any console today.
Imagine being this delusional.

>> No.4242597

>>4242582
>. I will admit the L button is a tad more difficult to reach than it should
No more so than R

>> No.4242602

>>4242597
If I'm playing a game using the control stick, I'm stretching my hand across to hit L. I can't think of a single game that doesn't use the right grip's buttons.

>> No.4242627

>>4242602
If you're playing a game using the control stick, you're probably not using L.

>> No.4242709

>>4242602
>If I'm playing a game using the control stick, I'm stretching my hand across to hit L.
No you're not, because there are no games that require you to do that you stupid fuck.

>> No.4242771

>>4242709
You know, I swear there was at least one 3d platformer that made use of the L button, but it seems I may be wrong. DK, Mario, Banjo never use the L button.

>> No.4242853

>>4242462
You can make a decent rig that will play most games for about 800 bucks, maybe a grand if you splurge. It's maybe double the price of an Xbox One and you'd never have to pay for a game ever again, plus you can play almost any other system on that computer.

Also, who the fuck uses Steam?

>> No.4242936

>>4228756
PS1 was better also chipped/copied CDs

>> No.4242949

>>4241751
>>4241754
The point is that it kind of makes the N64 pointless to own when all of the "good" games are far better on any other platform which also includes better games. This isn't Sega vs Sony vs Nintendo vs PC vs Atari vs Your Mom, this is the correct observation that the N64 was objectively the worst gaming device to own.

>> No.4242957
File: 8 KB, 1168x239, Ultimate PC Rig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242596
>Imagine being this delusional.
False. If I wanted to have the most advanced, best computer rig ever made, it would run me to about $4,000 or more. I shit you not(see pic related).

>>4242853
>You can make a decent rig
>that will play most games
>that will run you 800 bucks
Most? Not all?

>Also who the fuck uses Steam?
I assume you mean Steam Machines? I have no clue who in the fuck would own one of those. But if you're referring to Steam service, a bunch of faggots worshiping Gabe Newell I guess.

>> No.4242979

>>4242709

The only game I can think of that uses the L while you're using the analog stick is duke nukem 3D. L uses the item you're holding like jetpack or medkit.

>> No.4243034

>>4242949
Where's the port of Mystical Ninja starring Goemon in other systems?
What about F-Zero X?

>> No.4243047

>>4243034
Certainly aren't worth choosing the N64 over literally anything else.

>> No.4243052

>>4243047
>choosing over
>over
Found the poorfag who couldn't own more than 1 system.
Also, subjective.
Some people say games like Gran Turismo are system sellers, I prefer F-Zero.

>> No.4243070

Wwf No Mercy, golden eye, and Smash were reason enough buy the console. It had far better exclusives than PlayStation back then.

>> No.4243089

>>4242957
>intentionally building a pricey PC to make a point
Two can play at this retarded game;
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gold-plated-ps4-and-xbox-one-consoles-go-on-sale-in-dubai-for-8500-9737804.html
And the real kicker? They're already outdated.
>Most? Not all?
Not him but all if you're okay with having performance standards closer to what you'd expect to see on a console (and exclude the price of a new monitor and speakers, otherwise you'll need to factor in the price for a new TV for consoles as well).

Really the only issue with PC gaming is the price of entry and the (minimal) required tech know-how, then after that maintaining a low to mid-ranged PC is only a little pricier over time than buying new consoles and potentially cheaper if you factor in upgraded versions of consoles like the 4K and Pro. This is further offset by significantly cheaper game prices and better, more frequent sales that in many cases makes PC gaming come out ahead, not to mention the lack of necessary subscription services like PSN or X-BOX Live Gold just to play games online. I'd mention piracy as well but account sharing on the PS4 to play your friends' games is laughably easy, even more so than just physically borrowing a disc.
>But if you're referring to Steam service, a bunch of faggots worshiping Gabe Newell I guess.
You don't need to worship a lazy fatass that gave up on developing new games to use the best digital platform in the industry, it's not even a competition.

>> No.4243094

>>4228756
"Muh jaggies, muh blur" is literally only parroted by young people who weren't there. Back in the day, we didn't give a shit about jaggies, blur, or framerate, because we were busy saying "holy fucking shit it's 3D this shit is so cool what the fuck." As if "muh gwafix" has ever been a good argument for something being bad.

Anyway, console wars in 2017 over consoles that were out NEARLY 20 years ago are just pathetic, right?

>> No.4243098

>>4243089
literally, there's little competition, it dominates the market (unless you're trying to play a Blizzard game)

>> No.4243117

>>4243098
Good Old Games is a pretty decent alternative to steam with it being DRM-free on top of it. They usually have decent sales too.

>> No.4243249

>>4243070

exactly. There's not much more than 10 games on the ps1 I'm interested on. While on the N64 I can think at least 30.

>> No.4243253

>>4243098
On the plus side they haven't really abused their monopoly all that much at all and the only reason they stayed on top is because the challengers were/are largely shitters like Origin, Uplay, Windows Marketplace, etc.
>>4243117
I can attest to GOG being an excellent distributor, absolutely love them.

>> No.4243254

>>4243117
I only buy online from green man gaming or humble bundle, then link it to a steam account.

>> No.4243267

>>4243089
>intentionally building a pricey PC to make a point
Building a PC rig is pretty pricey. Unless I wanted to go for really cheap parts, which may or may not be faulty. So I chose the ones with a 5 star rating.

>Two can play at this retarded game;
>And the real kicker? They're already outdated.
They're gold plated, of course it's gonna cost more. Not that anyone but rich people can afford it anyways.Either way it would be pretty dumb to spend that much on a gold plated console.

>Not him but all if you're okay with having performance standards closer to what you'd expect to see on a console
>Really the only issue with PC gaming is the price of entry and the (minimal) required tech know-how
Yeah. But the point is that PC is different from a console, so I would want a PC that is compatible to all games. It's kinda hard to get into PC gaming when you know you're going to need the most expensive parts & future proof it for the next 10(maybe 15) years.

>>4243117
>Good Old Games is a pretty decent alternative to steam with it being DRM-free on top of it. They usually have decent sales too.
If I ever got into PC gaming, I would certainly go through Good Old Games.

>> No.4243280

>>4228756
>We N64 Thread now

I have a basic question. Looking to buy yet another N64. I have not had an orange one yet. I am looking at ordering one from Venezuela. Would the power and video work from that unit to my US tv?

>> No.4243323

>>4243280

>venezuela

you can probably trade a banana for a N64 there. Those socialists are starving to death.

but yeah, they would work in an american TV. Every N64 in south america was imported from the US, so they have the same frequency and power imput.

>> No.4243368

>>4243267
>Unless I wanted to go for really cheap parts, which may or may not be faulty.
Holy shit, please stop talking about things you know literally nothing about.
>Not that anyone but rich people can afford it anyways.Either way it would be pretty dumb to spend that much on a gold plated console.
Yes, just like having only the most expensive newest and shinest components in your rig for little more than bragging rights. To match that high end PC experience on a console you also need the best 4K TV too ($3500~5000, excluding more absurd $100k+ ones) and an updated console to match it like the XBox One X or PS4 Pro ($450~500), so if you have an older version of a console and a lesser TV then prepare to bid $3500~5500 farewell as you try to """future proof""" your gaming experience.
>so I would want a PC that is compatible to all games.
Did you miss the part where I stated it would be still compatible with all games? Except VR shit maybe, you'd need a VR headset to play them properly no different than what you'd need on consoles.
>you're going to need the most expensive parts & future proof it for the next 10(maybe 15) years.
Again, stop talking about subjects you know literally nothing about. This is like listening to someone talk to a car enthusiast about blinker fluid efficiency.

>> No.4243429

>>4243323
>you can probably trade a banana for a N64 there
EXACTLY! I just sold a GC with a bunch of games and am on the hunt for an N64. They have a great selection of every color....and since US money is still worth something, it is somewhat cheap...I enjoy taking full advantage of the exchange rates.

>> No.4243432

>>4243429
>>4243280
Where are you guys getting these deals?

>> No.4243438

>>4243368
>Holy shit, please stop talking about things you know literally nothing about.
You're an idiot. One of my PC's stopped working because the power supply was really cheap. I had to replace it with a better one, which was more pricey but it hasn't failed on me for the past 7 years. So yes you really have to be careful on the parts you buy, going cheap isn't always better.

>> No.4243483

>>4242451
>stealing a joke from fucking CAD of all things
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

>> No.4243492

n64 is the second most pointless console behind the dreamcast, in that all it's good games were either ported or very easily emulated on platforms with better controls and graphics, it's indesputable really

>> No.4243494

>>4243483
>CAD
Never heard of it. There's no shitposting there. I'm just criticizing an awful controller.

>> No.4243504
File: 162 KB, 625x967, what-valves-new-steam-controller-really-does.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4243483

>> No.4243516

>>4243438
>muh anecdotal evidence
I've had more consoles quite on me than PSUs, and cheap PSUs tend to have a higher failure rate than pretty much any other comportment excluding HDDs. You shop smart and do at least a minimal amount of research before buying, not shop like a retard that just buys the priciest shit on the market.

>> No.4243518

>>4242497
It's pretty shit for retro senpai.

The touch pads are cool for strategy games or shit with menus or if you have just some game you want to convert to joypad.

I have like a really good fallout config, and a good homeworld and Deathwatch config.

But playing like La Mulana or Mario is just shit because they aren't dpads.

>> No.4243607

>>4243516
>I've had more consoles quite
Quite?

Either way I own 10 game consoles & I've owned them for years, the retro ones I've own for decades. None of them stopped working except for the original Xbox, the one I currently own is my third one. Other than that, my consoles aren't prone to failure, I've been taking good care of them & keeping them dust free.

>not shop like a retard that just buys the priciest shit
It's the pricey shit with the most 5 star rating & brand name recognition is what makes it worth it. Western Digital hard drive is much more pricey than a generic hard drive. Wanna know why? It's because WD hard drives are better & last longer. Only a retard buys cheap products.

>> No.4243674

>>4243518
Yeah, 2D it's the Steam Controller kryptonite, i wont deny that, but not all retro is 2D and not all gaming is retro. Of course i tested it with a huge range of games, anf that's why i think you're un the wrong relegating it to RTS and táctiles menús.

Also, it has gyro aiming, wich i friggin' love.

>> No.4243719

>>4242460
>More like 3-4 times
7 to 8 times was true in the 90s. Both N64 and PS1 were priced $199 around ~1997. You weren't going to get a solid 3dfx machine for much less than 2 grand at that time. The card itself was $299, then throw in the obscenely priced Pentium CPU, RAM, etc. That shit all added up.

>> No.4243769

>>4243607
>Quite?
I don't even have autocorrect as an excuse, I actually typed that out without thinking.
>None of them stopped working except for the original Xbox
The only consoles I've had fail on me were a 360, the first model PS3 (standard heat related issues for both) and a Dreamcast (stopped reading discs). All taken care of in well ventilated areas but used regularly and they all failed in some way or another while I've had exactly one 6 year old PSU do the same.

Point being, anecdotal evidence is a shit excuse to believe that price = reliability, especially since you don't seem to know what you even need.
>Only a retard buys cheap products
What model TV do you use? What about your PC or phone? How about more important stuff like your car and where you buy groceries from?

... don't tell me you cheaped out in all of those categories like a retard now, did you? Because the only thing worse than a retard is a hypocritical one.

>> No.4243861
File: 13 KB, 196x228, Bismaru-1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4243492
>very easily emulated

>N64
>emulation

>> No.4243937

>>4242460
>More like 3-4 times, but the cost is offset by a pc being useful for all kinds if other stuff.

Consoles in the mid 90s were ~$200. even a basic bitch PC like an IBM PC 330 could run you $1500-$2000. 8x seems reasonable.

>couch co-ops

couch co-op (and living room "streams" of single player games) were a pretty big part of my friend group's social experience back then. its the factor of direct social interaction that made the multiplayer experience for me, and so, pc multiplayer didnt really catch on with me or the people i knew back then until voice chat was more common.

>That was just internet back then. It was still awesome despite how shitty it seems in retrospect.

The internet was awesome, but the per-minute billing meant you had to budget youself. So your mom gives you 30 minutes of internet time...do you play multiplayer with people you cant talk to, or do you look up cheats and strategy guides to impress your IRL friends in couch-multiplayer or help the group effort with their playthrough of FFVIII?

The latter engages your friends and gives social strokes, the former doesnt, and was thus less preferable.

>I never had an issue with that.

I knew about these games, but the way i got games in-period was as a kid - you go to blockbuster on friday with your parents, they rent movies and you rent games. If the game was good, you either rent it again next week or beg for it for christmas/birthday. Blockbuster didnt rent PC titles, so there was less exposure and less of a way to know if a pc game was worth begging for.

>Not to imply pcs were better or that consoles sucked, I akways loved both

Agreed, but i just didnt use PCs for serious gaming until after 2000 for the aforementioned reasons.

>> No.4244412

>>4243769
>The only consoles I've had fail on me were a 360, the first model PS3 (standard heat related issues for both) and a Dreamcast (stopped reading discs). All taken care of in well ventilated areas but used regularly and they all failed in some way or another while I've had exactly one 6 year old PSU do the same.
I have a Xbox 360 since 2010(bought it for Splinter Cell Conviction) and it still works. Although I had to clean the belt for the disc tray, but other than that it works fine.

I've had my PS3 since 2006, I clean the dust out of it every time I see it build up from underneath, I open it up and check the insides all the time for dust(I did the same for the original Xbox & Xbox 360).

As for my Dreamcast, I've had it since 1999 and it still reads disc. However if there comes a day when it stops reading discs, I will either clean it out properly so it can read it again, if that doesn't work, I'll buy a component that will completely replace it, which would only read from a microSD card to play games.

>Price = reliability
For high end tech with a 5 star rating? It certainly does.

>What model TV do you use?
Samsung.

>What about your PC or Phone?
My PC is a custom built I bought from a friend. Not sure what parts are inside except for the PSU & internal hard drive. The PSU is a FSP Group - ATX Power Supply. The internal hard drive is a 2TB Western Digital.

As for my phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy S8.

>Car?
2008 Arctic White Chevrolet Corvette Coupe.

>buy groceries from?
Whole Foods Market

>> No.4244721

>>4228795
>Sticking with carts was a mistake
Maybe from a business perspective. As someone who plays video games you shouldn't care. You get fast loading times. Unless all you care about are shitty anime cutscenes.

The only reason I'd rather the N64 have CDs is to hear what the games would've sounded like with an actual CD soundtrack.

>> No.4244812

>>4244721

PS1 era FMV aged poorly than 3D graphics of its time. They look terrible and poorly animated. Even at the time I didn't like the difference between CGI and in-game models.

>> No.4244839

>>4228756
it's a pretty decent console

the highs are really high, but it does lack some variety

still the best multiplayer console of all time