[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 75 KB, 800x600, 22_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4224594 No.4224594 [Reply] [Original]

Is it just me, or is Hexen kind of 'meh'? It's extremely easy, none of the enemies are particularly memorable, and there's no "umph" to it. By "umph", I mean that addicting satisfaction you get from slaughtering enemies in Doom. Hexen has more of a "pew" than and "umph"

>> No.4224601

Have you beaten the game with all characters on their hardest difficulties? Or did you play it for an hour and thought what you wrote?

>> No.4224606

>>4224601
I'll have you know that I played for 2 full hours before posting this

>> No.4224624

>>4224594
Your moms pussy is 'meh'
Hexen is a classic

>> No.4224627

>>4224601
>>4224624
Hexen is overrated - got higher marks because of the studio that made it rather than the actual quality of the game.

>> No.4224634

>>4224594
I don't know, maybe the death animations just do don't do it for you?
Can you go into more detail than just feels?

Have you tried the various classes?

>> No.4224639

>>4224634
the death animation and sounds are kind of lack luster, and most of the weapons feels "soft"

>> No.4224678

>>4224639
I didn't have an issue with that, but i guess that's just your taste.
Well, you don't have to force yourself to like something, feel free to feel different about this game and go on to enjoy a different game.
May i recommend Blood?
>>4205796

>> No.4224773

It's overrated in comparison to Doom, and other better first-person shooters. It's still an above-average game though. They sure did not fix many of the problems in Hexen 2. If they had some interesting/varied enemies, more weapons, and more refined level design, Hexen could still be going today, potentially. I admire the unique, almost "metroidvania" style of exploring that this series has going.

>> No.4224785

>>4224773
>I admire the unique, almost "metroidvania" style of exploring that this series has going.
Yah, but I fucking hate how whenever you progress, the game opens some random door in another part of the world and it takes forever to figure out where to go next.

>> No.4224830

>>4224594
HERETIC is the good one.

>> No.4224845

>>4224785
It literally gives you a text prompt telling you were the change occurred. For example in the first level, it says "stairs opened in the seven portals" or "a path opened in guardians of ice" and you hit tab to look at the map name to see where you are. It's not that difficult, unless you are used to having the game lead you by the hand down a bunch of corridors.

>>4224606
I'm just saying, that's not really enough to get a good impression. At least beat the game once in a higher difficulty. Some people may just not like the game but it's better to give it more than an hour or two.

>> No.4224858

>>4224594
Its pretty top tier for 1995

>> No.4224864

>>4224845
>"stairs opened in the seven portals" or "a path opened in guardians of ice
in the original it usually says "1/6th of the puzzle has been completed in the seven portals"

or in later versons "you hear a distant scream of rage" or somesuch message. There is almost never a specific prompt as to where to go, but hey that's 1995 complex exploration games for you. It aint supposed to be easy.

>> No.4225195

>>4224601

Stop the autism mindset. A game is not only beaten after you have 100%-ed the game, that is a retarded notion. A game is beaten after you've played through the story-line on medium or above. Medium is medium because the devs thought that was the standard experience.

>> No.4225197

>>4224845

That's just false. It just says 'a door has been opened in another dimension' or some such bullshit, or 'a piece of the puzzle is completed'. Utter bullshit, utter tediousness. I agree with OP, overrated game.

>> No.4225225

>>4224594
This is absolutely the entire point of the game, enemies are a small distraction compared to understanding level layout and remembering where the closed doors were.

>> No.4225227

>>4224594
>Hexen is kind of overrated
No it really is not.
>>4224830
>HERETIC is the good one.
They are both good.

>> No.4225352

>>4224864
Well duh, it's a different message for a different puzzle, but messages like "stairs opened in seven portals" refer to a specific part of the hub you have to visit next.
Every hub has it's own main puzzle to solve, which usually involves pulling a bunch of chain switches. They always have the same texture, and the door which corresponds to the swtiches usually have some kind of indicator of how much progress you've made, though not in the Seven Portals for some reason.
Hexen is a great really, give it a try.

>> No.4225360

>>4225195

The point is that this game shines on the hardest difficulty. It makes you use all of your weapons and artifacts instead of just spamming the best weapon you currently have. It's not even crazy hard. Easier difficulties just feel very meh.

>> No.4225371

>>4225360
WUUUUT? Mage facerolls 95% of the game, on hardest difficulty, with his starting weapon, which is:

1) hitscan
2) with infinite range
3) and almost ideal accuracy
4) which pierces through as many enemies in a row, as there are
5) and is never reflected back by anything
6) and which DOESN'T REQUIRE ANY MANA AND DOESN'T HAVE ANY COOLDOWNS, YOU CAN JUST HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN FOR THE ENTIRETY OF THE GAME.

The entirety of the last map could be, with some maneuvering (attack baiting), be completed, on the hardest difficulty, using first weapon only.

There is, like 5-6 times more mana in the entire game, than a mage would ever need. Because, again, the only situations where you do need mana, are the situations, where you just don't have any space to maneuver, and you just need to, back to the wall, kill something before it kills you.

>> No.4225373

>>4225371
By the way, the enemies that block the attacks - they are still pierced. Meaning, they don't take any damage, but all the non-blocking enemies BEHIND them - do.

>> No.4225378

>>4224594
I love Hexen and agree with some of what you say about umph.

That said, it has one of my favourite things ever. When you finish of an Ettin with the fist as the warrior, landing that third solid hit, and their body is slugged back a meter or two as they fall. That's the stuff! It's not to much, it's just right. Really satisfying.

>> No.4225380

>>4225371
But then again, Mage is awesome because he makes it unnecessary to deal with horrible Doom-esque melee in order to complete the game. As for facerolling - I interprete this game not a as shooter, but as a first-person adventure game about traversing prettily painted labyrinths with fiendish layouts and plethora of traps - and I regard all the monsters in the game simply as parts of those traps.

By the way, did you notice, that HeXen 1 was pretty much the first semi-FPS game to integrate botmatch into the game in pretty much the same way Unreal did it later? I mean, those bossfights with enemy Fighter, Cleric and Mage?

>> No.4225385

>>4225371
jesus christ man did you need to drain the world's supply of commas in one post

>> No.4225402

>>4225385
chortled

>> No.4225407

>>4225352
>messages like "stairs opened in seven portals"
The game never gives you this message. Its always "1/6th of the puzzle has been solved" or "you hear a distant scream of rage" or suchlike. It never specifies where you should go.

>Every hub has it's own main puzzle to solve
well duh

>which usually involves pulling a bunch of chain switches
well duh

>They always have the same texture
well duh

>Hexen is a great really, give it a try.
I have played hexen a lot, finishing it a few times and making my own maps for it. If anything I would recommend *you* play it, as you seem to be mis-remembering some things, such as the messages you get when pulling the puzzle switches.

>> No.4225424

I never liked Hexen 1 that much, but loved Hexen 2. The addition of the Tome of Power makes all the difference.

>> No.4225456

Admittedly, I love the atmosphere and aesthetics of Hexen, but I just could never get very far due to the maze-like structure of the world and constantly getting lost. I really wanted to love it, but I have a terrible navigation problem with it.

>> No.4225462
File: 135 KB, 950x947, don't bullshit me.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4225407
>>messages like "stairs opened in seven portals"
>The game never gives you this message. Its always "1/6th of the puzzle has been solved" or "you hear a distant scream of rage" or suchlike. It never specifies where you should go.

this is objectively false, and I found five examples in the first hub that prove you wrong

you haven't actually played hexen, have you.

>> No.4225490

>>4225462
This probably depends on the version you're playing.

In my hexen (which is the basic HEXEN.wad), it gives you much more cryptic messages like "you hear a distant scream of rage" or "you hear the sound of stairs building"

In the older version, you simply get "1/6th of the puzzle has been completed" as shown in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-yDyttogs

You're probably playing a tinkered-with version that makes it easier by giving you a specific direction. In the official IWADs, you can't access the ACS scripts through programs like SLADE as they are already compiled (unless you've decompiled them?)

And yes I've played Hexen, just the original versions that don't hand-hold.

>> No.4225495
File: 25 KB, 320x200, Hexen-Beyond_Heretic_(DOS)_058.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4225462
for example. This is what vanilla hexen puzzle messages were like

>> No.4225501
File: 132 KB, 640x480, Screenshot_Hexen_20150601_223512.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4225462
And here's the more "fluffy" version, where they give you the same cryptic message you pull an important switch, each hub having its own specific message used for all the switches.

I don't know which version you're looking at, but its not one I've played or seen played.

>> No.4225504

>>4225462
Not him, but those messages do not appear in the original hexen.

>> No.4225506
File: 22 KB, 418x289, seriously stop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4225490
yes, I decompiled the scripts, and I'm pretty sure this is the official version considering the md5sum matches the sum for v1.1 on doomwiki.org

I found a patch that downgrades v1.1 to v1.0 as well, just to see if the scripts changed. spoiler alert: they didn't, the text is the same

>>4225495
yeah, that's because they split the message into two separate print statements. you're only seeing the first line. if you actually played the game, you'd know this.

>>4225504
yes they do. I've looked at both hexen v1.1 and hexen v1.0, the messages are the same. you want to see for yourself? I can zip them both up, you can verify the md5sums yourself.

>> No.4225509

>>4225462
I have the exact same thing.

>>4225501
Well, this clears the confusion, we played different versions of the game. I don't even remember where I got the one with hints.
I played Hexen a few times, most recent playthrough was half a year ago. I had vanilla Hexen on CD, but it it lost now and I played that don't even know how long ago.
Didn't even know there were so many different Hexen versions, I'm even kinda curious to play the original.

>> No.4225520

>>4225462
>>4225495
>>4225501

What the devil. I have all those messages on the version I've always known. I just understood that the text gets vaguer as the game goes on?

Also, that scream of rage is a signal the boss chamber is open, iirc, but maybe I am wrong. I do remember the line though.

>> No.4225549

>>4225520
>Also, that scream of rage is a signal the boss chamber is open, iirc, but maybe I am wrong. I do remember the line though.

I've run strings64.exe (pulls out all strings at least three characters long) on hexen and deathkings, and "scream of rage" doesn't appear in any of them; hell, the word "rage" doesn't appear at all in deathkings

so I have no fucking clue

>> No.4225552

what the fuck is going on with that game

>> No.4225867

>>4225371
Or you can have fun and use his other weapons too. Every weapon is great, just some are a little more specialized than others. The Wand is good in all situations and does everything you mentioned, except it's actually not hitscan, but it's weak and takes forever to kill things. Frost Shards suck at their intended use, granted, but if you use them in melee range it deals a lot more damage, on par with Timon's Axe, and is amazing in small, tight areas. Arc of Death is arguably his primary spell once you get it by being able to reliably one-shot Chaos Serpents, Centaurs, and just about everything really. It's only downside is that the lightning dissipates if the enemy collides with a wall making it worthless in tight areas like hallways but amazing in open areas. And Bloodscourge is a rocket launcher, nothing bad there.

>> No.4225915
File: 2.02 MB, 1280x720, 1500753195230.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4224639
Hexen's death animations are the best out of all the sprite-based fps games and they're accompanied by meaty sound effects. Especially ettin and centaurs, you can really hear the blood explode from their throats as are ripped apart.

>> No.4225945

>>4225915
Nah, Doom1/2's animations are much more memorable. Well, to be honest, no other 2.5D FPS can really compare to those, so, I guess, it's a little unfair to use that against HeXen 1 in particular.

>> No.4225947

>>4225915
And generic gibbing isn't really even a death animation per se.

>> No.4225952

>>4225947
I'm sorry but what the fuck does that even mean? It's literally a death animation. In this case it completely blows Doom's gib death animation out of the water. Not only that but each enemy has its own unique gib death animation instead of sharing like Zombiemen/Imps/Doomguy.

>> No.4225956

>>4225952
Even each player class has his own regular and gib death animations.

>> No.4225998

>>4225952
Okay, it appears I was mistaken. I thought those were procedural, but the spriters-resourse's spritesheets prove me otherwise.

In any case, I personally find little interest in gib animations, as there are only so many ways one can depict any creature turning into a formless cloud of flying chunks.

>> No.4226001

It lacked Doom's superb beastiary first and foremost. Hexen would've been very challenging had it had technical enemies on level of Chaingunners, Revenants, Mancubi and Arch-Viles. Instead you were stuck smashing Cacodemon and below equivalents 99% of the time. Felt like the original Doom, but even worse.
Its second issue was weapon balance of the different classes. Entire articles have been written about it, so I won't bother listing everything wrong with them.
At least level layouts and puzzles were bretty gud for its time.

>> No.4226009

ITT: Kids who need giant arrows telling them where to go

Exploration truly is a dead concept now.

>> No.4226010

>>4226001
>Chaingunners
Thank fucking God Heretic/HeXen have no hitscanners whatsoever.
>Revenants
It has Dark Bishops, who are quite a bit more interesting with their movement and attack patterns.
>Mancubi
Wendigos.
>Arch-Viles
True. But D'Sparil and Heresiarch (which is reskinned D'Sparil anyway) are pretty close to those two. Also, D'Sparil on max difficulty is probably the best bossfight out of everything 2.5D.

Anyway, in terms of interesting enemies, HeXen has, at the very least, Dark Bishops, Wendigos, Centaurs and those swamp fucks, all of which are absolutely Doom2/Quake-style enemies made just so that to specifically fuck player up (think Ogres, Vores and Spawn from Quake)..

>> No.4226016

>>4226010
Also, three (not counting the addon) aforementioned botmatch fights too (Cleric's bossfight in particular, the whole setup, is just awesome).

>> No.4226017

>>4225915
Hexen's art style is really the best part of the game. It's absolutely amazing.

>> No.4226020

I always loved Hexen's way of doing alternate firing modes compared to what became the standard. I liked that they involved using the weapon differently to activate its other firing mode rather than just pressing a different key. I wish this was used more and I really wish Hexen 2 followed its predecessor's footsteps instead of ditching it entirely. Hexen 2 could've had potentially 4 firing modes per weapon with alt fire, Tome of Power, and Tome'd alt fire.

>> No.4226021

>>4226010
>Heresiarch (which is reskinned D'Sparil anyway)
Other than similar appearance, because the Heresiarch was originally the second Rider Korax and they wanted them to look similar at first, and the ability to summon Dark Bishops, he has a completely different skill set. Not to mention he actually has more than one attack.

D'Sparil is still the best boss fight in the series, though.

>> No.4226025

>>4225462
>misquoting a game played almost 20 years ago
>spends the time to pull all the code from the area that supposedly says that
>somehow that means I have never played the game ever

Holy fucking shit there needs to be a containment facility for people with autism as bad as yours. It literally says "stairs have risen on the seven portals" which is pretty close the same as "stairs opened in seven portals". get a fucking life faggot.

>> No.4226027

>>4226021
I loved D'Sparil's second form, but his first form I think could've used a couple more attacks other than "shoot fireballs" and "run menacingly".
The ability to charge at people or jump would have been cool. Or, if Hexen's tech had been available at the time, modify the arena like Korax does.

>> No.4226030

>>4226027
Korax had the potential be to an amazing boss fight, what with the power to basically alter reality around him, but the technology probably just wasn't there to support it.

>> No.4226043

>>4226021
He felt like an iteration, to be honest. And a pretty lazy one at that (compared to how much HeXen in general was different to Heretic, despite retaining a lot of ties to it). I would've been really disapponted, if the game ended right after the Heresiarch fight.

>> No.4226063

>>4226030
Korax really suffers from this awful generic idea "Let's give the final boss all the projectile types all the other monsters have been throwing at you". Well, not awful, just generic. Also, running around with the Mage's wand's autoattack trivializes that fight way too much.

Anyway, I'm just so anguished Hecatomb has never happened. HeXen 1 was building to something, that could be really, really, really special.

Instead, Raven got bought by Activision, Romero parted ways with id and went to Eidos, and we got freaking HeXen II.

>> No.4226068

>>4226010
>Thank fucking God Heretic/HeXen have no hitscanners whatsoever.
Opinions.
>It has Dark Bishops, who are quite a bit more interesting with their movement and attack patterns.
They are laughably weak punks with a slow-moving, slow-turning, pathetically low-damaging projectile attack. Not to mention they're significantly frailer.
>Wendigos.
Only significantly used in one area of the game. Frail as opposed to the bulky Mancubus. Their attacks also work a lot differently. Nice alternative enemy, but far from the equivalent.
>Heresiarch (which is reskinned D'Sparil anyway)
Have you really played these two games?

>> No.4226069

>>4226063
Although the idea "The final boss of the game, in which your main enemies are traps and monster closets, attacks with traps and monster closets" is indeed really cool.

>> No.4226081

>>4226010
Reivers were pretty cool. Constantly spawning and had a life leeching melee attack.

>> No.4226082

>>4226030
>Korax had the potential be to an amazing boss fight, what with the power to basically alter reality around him, but the technology probably just wasn't there to support it.
It was more than enough, the developers simply didn't have enough time to properly playtest and balance the fight. Serpent: Resurrection has a very good take on the concept - Korax has huge HP reserves and activates progressively harder area traps and monster spawns as you deplete them instead of an awkward middle phase where he throws a few dozen pushovers at you after teleporting away. See it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VwUV4m0IoE

>> No.4226092

>>4226068
>Opinions.
Plenty of OTHER games, which are choke-full of ranged enemy hitscanners. I prefer variety, thank you very much.
>They are laughably weak punks with a slow-moving, slow-turning, pathetically low-damaging projectile attack. Not to mention they're significantly frailer.
Doesn't matter if you are trying to evade the entirety of damage. Also, they are significantly more interesting in close quarters due to teleports and splash damage on death. Also, they are used in much higher numbers, than Revenants are used in D2.
>Frail as opposed to the bulky Mancubus.
Mancubus is really not that interesting. You have center+left/center+right/center+left/center+right, as the means of emulating leading shots, right? Now, guess what, it's not that different from Dark Disciples from Heretic doing just center+left+right.
>Have you really played these two games?
As I stated above, for me, Heresiarch is just a lazy iteration of D'Sparil fight, which, despite all the additional attacks, doesn't have any synergy that fight had (due to teleporting, especially on the highest difficulty, which is basically -fast, you can only reliably damage D'Sparil with hitscan weapons, the ammo to which you acquire via killing Dark Disciples, summoned by D'Sparil, using projectile weaponry).

>> No.4226508

>>4225462
it's strange because the version of the wad i got does both

>> No.4226528

>>4226009
Yeah, that must be it. Surely it can't be that Hexen just does exploration poorly.
The level design is just poor. Flick some random switch and something happens in another map. The fact that the game has to announce to the player that "something happened somewhere" with a HUD message is a pretty good sign that shit's fucked.

>> No.4226559
File: 1.74 MB, 300x290, 1495910785637.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4226528
>The level design is just poor

>> No.4226574

>>4224594
I find the gameplay of Hexen good, but the level design is downright atrocious with little to no redeemable features except visual design. The concept was interesting but it was very badly executed and is a good example of how not to design your levels.

>> No.4226609

Talking about hexen level designs, personally I was more bothered by the copious amount of narrow corridors packed with ettins/centaurs

>> No.4226627

>>4226609
Wand / Cleric Flechette bait.

>> No.4226634

>>4226627
It does get dull very quickly either way. The best parts of the game use enemies that are an actual threat.

>> No.4226635

>>4226634
They should just replace all Centaurs with Slaughtaurs.

>> No.4226895

>>4225520
>that scream of rage is a signal the boss chamber is open, iirc
its not, its just the line you get whenever you pull the "puzzle switches". You get the same rage message 5 or 6 times.

In the other hubs you get different messages, like "you hear the grinding of gears"

>>4225506
>that's because they split the message into two separate print statements
See the video in >>4225490, they don't.

You have some weird hand-holding version which I've never seen. You've never played original Hexen my friend.

>> No.4226952
File: 7 KB, 214x200, 1436758140918.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>you will never play Hexen 1 classes in 2 and vice versa

>> No.4226953
File: 51 KB, 1289x515, fuck off already.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4226895
>You have some weird hand-holding version which I've never seen. You've never played original Hexen my friend.

no. I have verified they are the official v1.1 and v1.0 versions of hexen multiple goddamn times. the lines are split into two. your fucking *video* shows the lines split into two. go to 13:51.

you don't believe me? here they are. https://my.mixtape.moe/wsayho.7z

check the md5sums and sha1sums yourself. they. are. the. official. versions.

>> No.4226961

>>4226895
and there is no rage message. I searched the entire iwad for the string "rage", and you know the only place it appears in? the SNDINFO. and it doesn't appear in deathkings at all.

seriously, do you have *any* fucking clue what you're talking about?

>> No.4226987

>>4226961
actually, it's not even in the SNDINFO; the string "rage" (case-insensitive) only ever pops up in the names of the DRAGE* sprites, and that's purely coincidental

>> No.4227154

Hexen is the only true game in its own series.

Hexen 2: non-canon
Heretic: non-canon

All hold now to the true gospel of Hexen and weather or not an eighth of the puzzle has been solved.

>> No.4227217

>>4226528
It's a
fucking
labyrinth.

It's supposed to be confusing and unintuitive. That's the whole point.

What's so difficult to understand about that?

>> No.4227485

>>4226030
I got what I didn't like about Korax. The very fact that he's got a face. I think, he should've be a shapeshifter who just didn't have any kind of his own identity, just the ability to corrupt what surrounds him. When I try to imagine how the actually satisfying for me bossfight with him would look like, I come up with something like this.

>You enter his throneroom, there, at the throne, you see a lonely ettin.
>When you approach him or press the fire button, while pointing at any direction, he starts changing into other monster sprites and hurling their respective projectiles at you, although at much higher rate of fire.
>Having taken a few hits, he opens the first monster closet and shifts, the way Dark Bishops do it, behind your back, and, once you turn to him, but away from the group of monsters you released, he shifts one again, in their midst, and assumes their form.
>When you kill any monster other than Korax, it dies, but as soon as you turn your back to it, the monster gets resurrected as a "ghost" of sorts, near the point where the corpse was (only one ghost per corpse). The "ghosts" are non-translucent (in contrast with Heretic), and they differ from the normal monsters in that they reflect all your projectiles at you, and while they can do attack animations, their attacks, being indistinguishable from "real" attacks, do no damage to you. You can also traverse through them as they weren't even there.
>Korax, in their midst, acts "in character" (exactly as the monster that he cosplays would) when he is in your view, and out of character (activates traps, other monster closets, hurls "out of character" projectiles at you) when you don't see him (his projectiles go through "ghosts").
>Every time you hit Korax, he repositions first somewhere behind your back, where he gets at least one attack, then, after you turn to fact him somewhere close to some monster or ghost, that's currently behind your back, assuming their form and their attacks...

>> No.4227490 [DELETED] 

>>4227217
Ok, it's shit on purpose. Gotcha.

>> No.4227501

>>4227485
>Korax only opens closets or activates traps when he's behind your back. At that moment, all the ghosts "flicker out" for, like two seconds, only Korax and real monsters are visible, then the ghosts "flicker" back to where they were before "flickering out".
>Again, every time Korax is hit, he either immediately repositions to some monsters/ghosts behind your back, assuming their form, or repositions first behind your back, then, when you face him and turn away from other monsters/ghosts - in their midst.
>By the time Korax's health is halved, he should've activated all of the closets, and the majority of the monsters contained therein, should already be ghosts.
>From that point onward, when Korax takes enough damage, a ghost will vanish from arena. So that the quantity of remaining ghosts will be proportionate to the quantity of Korax' health, that still remains. So, for the first half of the fight, the measure of progress (damage dealt to boss) is the quantity of opened monster closets, and for the second half of the fight, the measure of progress is the quantity of remaining ghosts. In the second half of the fight, Korax will still activate traps, but he will not attempt to open new monster closets (so that now to wastes chances to attack, as all the monster closets are already open).
>When all the ghosts are vanished, and only Corax remains, he will start to cycle through the enemy sprites at the insane rate (once per frame, 35 times per second) and will attact with corresponding attacks at this insane rate (once per frame, 35 times per second), while standing absolutely still, as if all of these are convulsions of sort. A couple more hits - he dies, souls fly outwards, yadda yadda.
>Anyway, my idea as that it is something that doesn't have any face, any sort of identity whatsoever, a parasite, which is there to corrupt, to mislead, and to distort. And that he dies, only when he has nowhere else to hide.

>> No.4227525

>>4224594
I like Hexen but the main reason for me is the presentation. Gameplay wise it has a lot of glaring flaws but fuck me man I just can't hate something that feels like I'm playing the cover art to a Manowar album the whole time.

>> No.4227668
File: 77 KB, 640x480, Screenshot_Hexen_20150528_234245.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4226961
my screenshot is from the HEXEN.wad, played in zdoom. From a game I played in 2015.

Here's another, from the 2nd hub I think

>> No.4227670
File: 46 KB, 640x480, Screenshot_Hexen_20150601_224552.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4226961
Here's another distant scream of rage.

I saved them because I thought they would be good reaction images. Your posts certainly seem like distant screams of rage as you autistically screech about the puzzle messages being this or that and assume no one has played hexen except yourself.

>> No.4227694

>>4227668
>>4227670
well I found it out: you're using the beta version of hexen, which is the only version those strings appear in.

sorry for assblasting you about the messages, although I have to ask how the hell you got the hexen beta without realizing it was the beta

>> No.4228195

>>4227668
I'm not really following this discussion but that message is from one secret level to another secret level.

>> No.4228217

>overrated
Hexen does not get much discussion here, and when it does it usually turns into people complaining about the funny 1/6 joke, even with fans of the game

>> No.4228571

If anything, Hexen feels pretty underrated in the community. It gets shat on all the time.

>> No.4228578

>>4228571
Hexen is the most metal old school FPS, people shit on games just for fun.

>> No.4228589
File: 88 KB, 1006x546, 54567134326133.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4228571
Meanwhile there's an Underrated Games thread on /vr/ right now with Blood as the OP.

>> No.4228593

>>4228571
Its only underrated on /vr/. Everywhere else considers it a good game aside from the occasional child that posts a steam review.

>> No.4229595

>>4228578
>FPS
>There are no guns

>> No.4229613
File: 452 KB, 873x705, doom-knee-deep-in-the-dead-cover-art-diorama-by-gaming-heads.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Will we ever get a new game that has the same vibe as DOOM 2016 but with first person mage combat instead?

>> No.4229651

>>4228195
>that message is from one secret level to another secret level.
nah it was there for the whole hub. hub 3 I think

>>4227694
huh, that is odd. I just downloaded a HEXEN.wad years ago. I guess I'll have to download another one and see if there's any difference

>> No.4229658
File: 180 KB, 640x480, Screenshot_Hexen_20160217_224830.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4229595
>Imblying

>> No.4229728

>>4229613
there is Ziggurat but it's not nearly metal enough

>> No.4230374

>>4229651
>nah it was there for the whole hub. hub 3 I think
That level is Sacred Grove, the secret level of hub 2, and beating it enables you to hit a switch that allows you to enter the secret level of hub 4, Desolate Garden.

>> No.4230447

>>4224627
>got higher marks because of the studio that made it rather than the actual quality of the game.
You do realise Heretic, which was by the same developer, got mixed reviews right?

>> No.4231192

>>4227525
Yeah there is a surprisingly lack of games with solid art like that. Everything just feels like generic tolkein crap instead.

>> No.4231212

Hexen always sucked

>> No.4231283

>>4229613
I think there is great potential for a Hexen reboot if it is done right of course. They can even take some inspirations from the Souls games.

I'd imagine structured like Demon's Souls hub/level design but in first person with a more defined class system. The potential for a modern Hexen is incredible but too bad we likely will never see it.

>> No.4231293

>>4231283
I believe that was the original intention for Hecatomb; a single massive hub with multiple levels branching out of it instead of multiple hubs with their own smaller branching levels each.

>> No.4231303

>>4224594
No, it's not just you. Alpha-PHP is indeed superior.

>> No.4231305

>>4231293
Yeah Hexen did do it first but Demon's Souls did show that a game like that can still work even though it has been many years now since Demon's Souls released. I still think such a game could work even today.

>> No.4231308

>>4231305
I was just pointing out that, based on Romero's information on Hecatomb, Raven planned on doing exactly what you're asking for. Unfortunately that game never came to be. As for a reboot I'm not sure how I feel about changing it since Hexen is my all time favorite game, but I guess as long as it still has a hub with a focus on switch/key hunting and maybe actual puzzles this time around then I can't really complain. As much as I enjoyed D44M I don't want Hexen to go down that route or, even worse, the CoD style modern fps.

>> No.4232163

>>4231305
Demon Souls is simply a modern dungeon crawling game mixed with the third person perspective (and it's not even the first TPP dungeon crawler, Bradley's Dungeon Lords was the first one, as far as I'm aware) and with the online gimmick.

HeXen is simply a FPS/dungeoncrawler mix, one of many (Catacomb3D, Pathways into Darkness, System Shock 1, Bradley's Cybermage, Battlespire). Of these, Pathways and System Shock have connected ingame world, where, in principle, it's possible to backtrack from anywhere to anywhere. And people doing dungeoncrawlers with connected worlds long before that, possibly from PLATO (70s). And by 1993, those games had all kinds of environs in them, as evidenced by Wizardry VII and Xeen.

>> No.4234736

>>4224594
>YOUR MOM IS OVERRATED
>YOUR PLEB TASTE IS KIND OF MEH

on a serious note, I guess this is just not the game for you, relax, play what you like

>> No.4234958
File: 438 KB, 2016x1246, when.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234736
I think a big problem is that people go into Hexen expecting Doom. I remember a /v/ thread not long ago where someone said they describe to everyone that Hexen is just fantasy Doom, which obviously gives others the wrong impression.

>> No.4235385

So we all agree that the fighter was the best right?

>> No.4235396

>>4235385
Cleric > Mage > Fighter

>> No.4236098
File: 590 KB, 1024x768, 1385340695991.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235385
No but we can all agree that Shadow Wood is the best hub, right?

>> No.4236272

>>4226020
Wait wait wait. Hexen had altfire?

I played through the whole game with all three classes and I've never heard this before now.

>> No.4236284
File: 42 KB, 500x315, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4226895
>"you hear the grinding of gears"

>> No.4236285

>>4236272
It didn't. didn't even have tome of power. Thankfully they brought back the tome in hexen II

>> No.4236305

>>4236284
Kill yourself, tranny.

>> No.4236445

>>4236272
If you move up close to an enemy some weapons have a different attack.

>> No.4236560

I enjoyed Hexen's levels. There were so many of them and all varied. Very good construction.

>> No.4236818

>>4236098
Too simple structurally. I loved Seven Protals most, then the third hum, with Heresiarch. And the fifth hub, as the third place, if only for the majectic bossfight with enemy Cleric (the other two were sort of lackluster, but this one was 10/10).

>> No.4237936
File: 16 KB, 320x200, max90_4b6442eec49bb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4236818
Necropolis was my favorite, I thought it had the best hub theme and I loved how it starts right with a heavy firefight.

>> No.4238175

>>4236445
>>4236272

The hammer will refuse to fire a projectile at point-blank range, the ice blast acts somewhat different, and the snake staff will steal HP. I think that's about it though.

>> No.4238194

>>4238175
Not exactly the same but there's also how the Fighter preforms a more powerful punch every third successful hit.

>> No.4238615

>>4236098
I hold with the Shadow Wood as the best hub. It has lovely stuff like the castle.

>> No.4238838

>>4224594
The atmosphere and art are great, but the design itself falls pretty flat. I never found it to be much fun. I really wish it came together better.

>> No.4239150

Fortunately, three brave souls fought their way through the twisted and decimated lands, ultimately destroying Korax.

>> No.4239791

>>4239150
Now the darkness has come to Thyrion.

>> No.4239824

>corvus corax- the common raven
>corvus is the protagonist of heretic
>korax is the final boss of hexen
woah

>> No.4239840
File: 268 KB, 640x1103, raven disciple.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4239824

>> No.4239869

I've never liked it, which is two bad because I like the idea and setting. Hub worlds are just garbage in fps games though

>> No.4239896
File: 26 KB, 250x348, 250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4239869
>Hub worlds are just garbage in fps games though
I disagree.

>> No.4239914

>>4239869
>Hub worlds are just garbage in fps games though
nah, they're cool as shit and should be done more often

>> No.4239916

>>4239824
>both games are made by raven software
mind=blown

>> No.4241096

>>4224594
Fuck these niggers, I agree with you

>> No.4241118

>>4239896
not retro
not an fps

>> No.4241123

>>4224594
Hexen is one of the more boring doom clones, yes. Too few weapon selection and lots of time wasted solving puzzles.
I still loved this game when i was a kid.

>> No.4241125

>>4241123
That's because it's not a Doom clone.

>> No.4241128

>>4241125
Of course it is

>> No.4241140

>>4241128
No, it is not. Hexen uses a completely different fps formula compared to Doom.

>hubs
>character selection
>back tracking
>puzzles
>item collection
>non-standard arsenal (no melee>pistol>shotgun>machinegun>explosive>etc)
>different ammo system
>different armor system

and such

>> No.4243760

^

>> No.4243778

>>4241118
>not an fps
>literally an fps
Just becuase nintendo says its a "first person adventure" game, doesn't mean its any less of a shooter.

>>4241128
not really a close because it uses the same engine. Its an advancement of the doom engine. Just like Quake 2 is not a Quake clone.

>> No.4243779

>>4241128
>the 'anything made in doom engine is a doom clone' meme

>> No.4245374
File: 103 KB, 1017x786, 1498451963018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not ready to die.