[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 61 KB, 570x401, 56246-Mega_Man_(USA)-9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4219470 No.4219470 [Reply] [Original]

I just beat this game legit for the first time. I played it with savestates a while ago and thought it was incredibly difficult, but that's probably because I was too dumb to try the different weapons on different bosses. I was surprised how easy Wily is when you know which weapons he's weak to.

The only REALLY hard parts were the propeller platforms in Iceman's stage and Wily Castle 1.

Iceman was kind of tricky since I fought him first. Yellow Devil was tricky until I understood his pattern. Elecman seemed hard but I had Cutman's weapon which made the fight trivial. I thought the weird bubble machine was hard until I realized spamming the megabuster when was the best strategy.

Anyway, how are the other games in the series? How are the weird spin-offs, like Megaman and Bass, and the gameboy games, and the Gamegear game?

>> No.4219473

The sequels are even better, the Game Boy games are almost remakes and Megaman V Game Boy is a brand new game.

>> No.4219476

All Megaman games are worth playing once, even the stinkers like Megaman 7 and 8 at least are worth playing for the awesome production values.

>> No.4219482
File: 240 KB, 423x385, DK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4219470
>the Gamegear game?
THERE WAS A GAMEGEAR GAME?

>> No.4219487

>>4219482
Port of Megaman IV. It's kinda bad.

>> No.4219491

>>4219482
There is, but it's terrible.

One of the fortress bosses is Toad Man and that's really all you need to know.

>> No.4219494

>>4219482
It's a cruddy mishmash of several NES games with a zoomed in screen and absolutely nothing new.

>> No.4219501

>>4219487
Not quite, it's a weird mix of MM4 and MM5.
Starts with letting you pick between Stone Man, Bright Man, Napalm Man and Star Man, then has you play Wave Man and Toad Man's stages in that order before fighting the final Wily battle from MM5.

It's sloppy and obviously tossed together in very little time.

>> No.4219513

How is Powered Up?

>> No.4219515

Did you beat Yellow Devil without the pause screen cheat? I'm always surprised by how many people unironically recommend using it because "he's just impossible to beat xD"

>> No.4219517
File: 18 KB, 205x226, OilMancharsel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4219513
Better graphics than Mighty 9. If you beat a boss with the buster you unlock him as playable character. Sucks that Roll is locked behind DLC. One of the characters has black face.

>> No.4219603

>>4219515
No, I didn't even know about it. It was fun trying to remember the pattern. I think I got hit by his eye bullet every single time, still not sure how to dodge that. I think when I beat him I had one hit left.

But yeah, not as hard as I thought. It took me far longer to get past the propeller platforms in Iceman's stage.

>> No.4219610
File: 2.00 MB, 300x300, 1427094001565.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4219470
I swear I've seen this exact post before, word for word, same picture.

>> No.4219617

>>4219610
>>/vr/image/5QxyLMTPay5RbzFvXQkSqQ

>> No.4219621

>>4219610
Well it's one of the first image results you get, and it's a memorable fight.

>> No.4219997

>>4219470
Why is that midget fighting a Hitmonlee?

>> No.4220209

>>4219476
7 was better than 5 and 6

>> No.4220249
File: 6 KB, 256x224, Mega_Man_2_battle_Wily_Stage_4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here I also just played through MM2. I chose difficult but it seemed easier than MM1. Not sure what it was, but the level design/coloring was really comfy, especially Bubbleman's stage when you go through tunnels and there are mini-bosses, not sure how to explain it.

I had trouble with the blocks in Heatman's stage, but I came back to it later when I had item-2 and just bypassed it. Pic related is kind of baffling. I don't think I had enough Crash ammo to destroy all the things, so I tried destroying all the walls first since they stay gone, then dying, then grinding for ammo, then going back and finishing them off.

I had to retry the boss rush a few times until I strategized which bosses I lost health on and which I could do without losing health. Wily took a few tries until I decided to use the megabuster for phase 1 and realized the crash bomb was effective for phase 2. And then the alien was easy.

>> No.4220260

how would you rate mm1 vs mm2?

>> No.4220269

>>4220209
True, but only if you play the PC demake. The original SNES version is trash.

>> No.4220272

>>4220269
Worse music and graphics, too easy. Nope.

>> No.4220456

>>4219470
Mega Man & Bass is awesome, just make sure to play the Super Famicom version with a fan translation. GBA version is awful. It's level design mentalitity is a bit different, and it's a bit more challenging game, but it's a really good game, and it was the first classic game with a playable character other than MM.

The GB games are all good except 2, which was made by a different team and is garbage.
The first 4 ones are loosely based on the NES games. For instance, the first one is based on MM1, and then 2 is loosely based on 2 and 3, 3 is loosely based on 3 and 4, and 4 is loosely based on 4 and 5. That mixes it mixes elements, stages and bosses, from 2 games.

This being said, they're still considered as new games. They re uses themes, bosses, but the levels are completely different, the scale and physics feel a bit different too.

Then 5 on GB is brand new, and it was more influencial than people realize. It's the only classic MM game where Wily isn't the villain. Tango made its first appearance, and AFAIK it was also the first one with an in game shop and a "SHMUP" stage. It strays away from the classic formula a little bit but it's excellent.

The gamegear game mixes MM4 and 5 but is not very good, and the only new thing it offers are some of the colours changed on enemies.

None these are the "weird spin offs" though.

>>4219482
There was even a Wonderswan game and also one on Wonderswan colour.
The Wonderswan game is another version of "Mega Man & Bass", completely different from the original, but it's not very good and completly missed the point of the "MM style".

The one on Wonderswan colour is based on Battle Network, but it's actually a sidescroller that players more like the classic series. It's not garbage, but not great either, it's somewhat fun but has a lot of flaws.

>> No.4220459

The really "weird" spin offs would be the board game, the soccer game, or even the arcade games (Power Battle / Power Fighters) and the racing game.

But you know, even those are worth playing.
The arcade games are awesome, it's fun yo have new boss fights with the old bosses but with updated graphics and moves. Plus you get to play as Protoman, Bass and Duo:

https://youtu.be/51NHFKO32Xw

The racing game was surpringsly fun, even in sp. For a Battle Racer, it offers new things on the table like earning car parts of your adversaries to customize yours. If you play as Quickman / earn his car, there is awesome turbo system to master.
The game keeps getting more challenging too, as beating adventure mode once is nothing, but difficulty keeps increasing until you beat it 4 times and 100% it.

https://youtu.be/zKym273ESsw

>> No.4222370

>>4220260
Like I said, the levels in 2 feel much comfier somehow, I can't explain it. I don't remember any annoying bullshit except for that one boss that required the crash bombs. The Items are a pretty interesting new mechanic, being able to create different types of platforms at will. I used it to bypass the disappearing blocks in Heatman's stage, felt a little cheap but the blocks were pretty annoying anyway, sooo don't care.

>> No.4222415

>>4220269
Why?

>> No.4222431

>>4222415
Megaman moves faster. Hitboxes are smaller.

>> No.4224131

>>4219515
>that feel when Yellow Devil still kicks your ass to this day and you only beat him when you are burned out and about to give up

>> No.4224487

Coincidentally, I recently watched some stuff about Mega Man Soccer on YouTube. I really want to like that game because it reminds me of Super Dodge Ball or Baseball Simulator 1.000 but it just doesn't look interesting. As far as I can tell from YouTube and GameFAQs, it's just a simple soccer game with a very small amount of Mega Man weaponry added, with the weapons mostly being way too similar to one another, and also you hardly ever get to use them. I don't feel motivated to even try playing it.