[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 400x217, 643513.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4181097 No.4181097 [Reply] [Original]

Where did it go so wrong? They made some great games

>> No.4181117

you mean they published some great games

>> No.4181293

Shiny developed the good interplay games

>> No.4181295

>>4181117
This

>> No.4181314
File: 60 KB, 500x495, stonekeep.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The earliest development of Stonekeep dated back in October 1988, discussed between Brian Fargo and Todd Camasta with the simple title "Dungeon Game". The Producer Peter Oliphant and Lead Programmer Michael Quarles joined the company in 1990 and 1991 respectively. The game development was planned for a minimum period of nine months and a minimum budget of $50K. However, because the initial stages of the game looked good it exceeded nine months, lasting a total of five years. Eventually there was a production crew of over 200 people, and costing a total of $5 million. The intro sequence was the most expensive part of the production, costing nearly half a million dollars to produce, which was ten times more than the initial budget for the entire project.

>> No.4181446

>>4181314
>this cost them 500,000 dollars to make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0VSop8sJr4

>> No.4181592

>>4181446
Extremely 90's.

>> No.4181672
File: 7 KB, 169x217, Interplay LOTR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4181097
I mentioned it in another thread, but I really love this game, despite it being terrible.

It is THE best adaptation of Tolkien I have ever seen. These guys were crazy enough to sit down and write alternate versions of a bunch of the events; so like, for instance, in the Two Towers game, you can come across an old Gondorian tomb. If you look at the gravestones, you can see here lies so and so, and a bit of a blurb about them, as long as someone in the party has the Numenorean Lore skill. If nobody does, you get a text of the same stuff, but in Quenya.

They do things like have Athelas grow on the west side of Arthedanian ruins. They have Silvan elves talk about how the Noldor constantly stir up shit that their lesser kin have to deal with after they get killed. They have dwarves get upset if you use Khuzdul words around them. It's unbelievably crafted, and seriously, I didn't even notice most of this stuff until I became autistic enough to read the History of Middle Earth and delve into all this background.

>> No.4181751

>>4181672
Just curious but have you played Lord of the Rings Online when you make that 'best Tolkien adaptation" statement? Because they actually do a rather great job of following the books.

>> No.4181764

>>4181751
No, I haven't. What's it like?

>> No.4181802
File: 436 KB, 873x704, Nameless.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4181764
Well its pretty much identical to WoW in terms of gameplay. There's dozens of zones - Some you've seen in the books like Breeland and Lone-lands, and some not explored by the books like Evendim and Ered Luin. They have their own series of quests & stories, but there's also something called the Epic Questline which tells an overarching story, and a lot of times it parallels the books even to the point of trailing the Fellowship. Indeed, every now and then you actually meet up with the fellowship, such as in Caras Galadhon

Anyway I'm impressed how they'll take the most minute details from the books and really run with it. One example is the line said by Gandalf, "Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things." So there's an entire zone in Moria called Deep Delvings just full of pic related called the Nameless. You can also see the Endless Stair ascending through at least three separate zones within Moria. I could go on with neat examples of attention to detail, but I'll cap it there.