[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 30 KB, 600x450, tribes2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4136105 No.4136105 [Reply] [Original]

Did anyone else here play and love Starseige Tribes? These are the only fps games I was ever deep into. Many many wonderful hours though.

So Tribes thread! Thoughts, memories, stories. Whatever. Tribes 2 release day when Shrike physics were super loose was hilarious.

>> No.4136128 [DELETED] 
File: 36 KB, 275x391, Tribes_Aerial_Assault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not retro, but yall can suck my dick:

When the PS2 network adaptor was released a version of Tribes 2 was ported called Tribes: Aerial Assault. The only way to communicate with other players was on a 3rd party forum. The clan scene was built from the ground up by the players only, with tournaments being scheduled and hosted by the players who were competent enough to host official servers on theor computers.

Eventually one of the game's developers took notice of us and began contributing to the discussion and even wrote new netcode for the game. The Ps2 online scene was small enough that everyone knew everyone, and since online gaming has blown up it will never happen again.

I still keep in touch with those players. I've never been a part of a more tightly knit gaming community since.

>> No.4136140

Shazbot!

>> No.4136142

>>4136128
Interesting! I never played aerial assault because it seemed like such a downgrade from 2 but I'm glad to see it had a good following.

>> No.4136168

>>4136128
It must have always been a very small community then. I never came close to knowing everyone who played PC. Though in Tribes 1 when I played on a lot of Shifter mod servers I had to keep changing my name.

>> No.4136310

>>4136105

Yeah I used to play the fuck out of tribes. Bought it for like 5.00 usd in some bargain bin.

Game was fucking great.

>> No.4137772

I played the fuck out the first two titles. In a lot of ways I preferred 1 for the tighter physics over the floatier physics in 2, but changes like automatic skiing and removal of minedisking helped it in the long run. Even before the second game came out, the first game was at the point where it was never going to see any new blood again because of the skill curve. Noobs just didn't stick around when you were outrunning their light loadouts in heavy armor and one-shotting them in midair with mine combos.
Never got into the later games. They just felt all wrong, like the engine was completely unsuitable to the style of gameplay.

>> No.4137783

Is there still a community that plays these? Do people even play Tribes Ascend??

>> No.4137802

>>4137783
There's a small T2 community using the tribesnext server browser patch but you'll be lucky to find two servers that aren't mostly bots.

Ascend is dogshit made by IP vultures who don't understand how Tribes plays. Just look at the gated loadout system and how the skiing mechanic works in that game.

I'm waiting to see how Midair shapes up. It's a spiritual successor headed up by some of the original dudes from Dynamix.

>> No.4138990

I loved Tribes 2, the sequels never managed to feel the same for me and felt shallower.

>> No.4138996

>>4137772
I didn't mind the physics of 2, what I missed were all the mods. Tribes 1 vanilla always felt a little limited, but there were so many interesting mod servers it didn't really matter.

Tribes 2 vanilla felt much better, but the mod scene was never as good so as a result I almost never played them. I preferred Tribes 1 overall, but loved both and played them hours and hours on end.

Similarly I could never get into the later ones at all. They just didn't feel like Tribes.

>> No.4139048

>>4138996
Tribes 2 had some great mods but a lot of them seem lost to time as I couldn't find some of the old ones I used to dick around in.

>> No.4139060

>>4138996

Tribes 1 had Renegades with that vulcan cannon which ate all your ammo in seconds but absolutely shat on your target. Also the dumbfire rocket launcher with so much knockback it'd punt an attacker all the way back to their own base.

>> No.4139153

Tribes is the only fps that has fun CTF for me.

>> No.4139281

>>4139048
It had a bunch but they never felt as interesting or fleshed out for some reason.

>>4139060
Renegade mod was pretty great. I played a lot of Shifter and was so good with the Arbitor I actually influenced nerfs to it. One of my favorite things was to stash teleport beacons in odd places, like behind power generators or in holes in the geometry. I'd run into a room cloaked shooting wildly and then teleport and dudes would end up teamkilling each other trying to get me, then I'd be back in there picking them off. It was so mean, but my score would often be higher than the whole opposing team put together and I eventually had to change my name periodically because people would quit when I came into a server.

>> No.4139345

>>4139281
>in holes in the geometry.

Did this with Renegades laser turrets right out in the field so they'd shoot through terrain and couldn't be destroyed.

Imagine getting shot by an invisible aimbot with a laser rifle every 3 seconds you're within 1KM. Guaranteed rage.

>> No.4139415

>>4139153
Quake 2 and CPMA are the only things that come close for me

>> No.4140304

>>4139345
Those heavies and their fucking laser mines

.'whoops I'm getting my ass kicked by a light better drop some laser mines'

Best counter I found was to go super light (scout?) and use a stim pack to las rifle, double fire discs and las again with your refilled energy

>> No.4140840

>>4139345
Ohh yes! Laser turrets above the entrances to bases was always so much fun. Nothing like getting headshotted by five lasers the second you step outside.

The worst thing I ever did was to get a deployable air base right at the start and run for the hills till I was far out of range then I'd set it up, plop down a missile station and bombard the enemy base with constant guided missiles. On maps that used the Broadside bases you could get the missile all the way down the first corridor and really fuck them up.

>> No.4140872

>>4139415
Same. And CTF is the only way I find FPS games interesting. Straight deathmatch gets dull real fast for me.

>> No.4140923

>>4140872
I'm a fan of duel and CTF. TDM 2v2s and stuff can be fun as well but clusterfuck FFA does get stale after a while unless its very low playercount.

>> No.4141127

>>4140923
Yeah other modes are always fun for a bit, but CTF makes it really seem like more of a game and stays interesting much longer. I had mono for close to a year and much of it was spent playing Tribes CTF and fucking Ragnarok Online. CTF never got dull.