[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 110 KB, 256x355, Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4116172 No.4116172 [Reply] [Original]

Any thoughts on the original Phantasy Star games? I'm a lifelong fan of Phantasy Star Online and kind of want to check them out. Are they worth playing and if so what's the best way to play them?

>> No.4116176

>>4116172
yes and in order

>> No.4116179

>what's the best way to play them?
Phantasy Star Complete Collection for the Playstation 2 in Japanese.
If it absolutely has to be in English, play 1 via the SMS Power patch with FM sound enabled, for the rest the complete collection is fine.

>> No.4116234

>>4116179
So you're saying there are no good English releases of the games?

>> No.4116257

>>4116234
Only the first game was botched in localization but the fan patch fixes that, even then you don't really need it, the plot isn't particularly complex.

>> No.4116261

>>4116234
The "translations" are from around 1990.

>> No.4117140

>>4116176
>in order
Ideally, if you're a bad enough dude. I couldn't blame someone for skipping 2 and 3 though.

>>4116234
The official translations are rather poor but what can ya do. Thankfully PS1 has a good phan translation, and that FM sound is worth playing on an emulator for even if you own a Master System. Absolutley play the retranslation, not the original.

There's a PS2 retranslation too, but it's quite half arsed and based on the American rom. Still it restores consistant naming with the rest of the series. Worth playing over the vanilla games ONLY if you're playing on an emulator. (won't run on real hardware)

>> No.4117146 [DELETED] 

Played through Phantasy Star 1 last week, was pretty damn good for a Master System game.

Slowly playing through Phantasy Star 2 now, honestly it's kind of boring...

>> No.4117168

>>4116172
If you have a PS3 or 360, get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It has all 4 of the PS games plus a ton of others.

>> No.4117180

>>4116172
Phantasy Star IV is the only one I've played, and I loved it and enjoyed beating it. It's considered one of the best RPGs of that generation for a reason. Haven't had a chance to play the earlier titles

>> No.4117194

I think 1 is very impressive for its time. The battle screens on the overworld look amazing, especially if you fight something on the beach. I appreciate how dark the story got in 2 but I can't stomach actually playing the damn thing.

3's got a lot of novel ideas and while it's a little rough and out of place I'd generally prefer playing it over 1 and 2. 4 though, 4 is the shit. Just a great game all around.

>> No.4117215

>>4117168
Really shits me when people blindly recommend these rom/emulator collections, completly ignoring the quality of the option. In this very thread is has been stated that official versions of PS1 suck shit and that there is a far superior option that any and all new players should persue. But no, lol just get this thing that I liked never mind that it's an inferior experience in every possible way.

>> No.4117354

>>4116179
Those PS for PS2 releases have fan translations, though I'm not sure of the quality.

>> No.4117420

>>4117354
I guess you can play Generation 2 in lieu of the original. It didn't really fix the issues of 2 but it's not really worse either.
Kind of a shame that they never released Generation 3.

>> No.4117447

Please tell me there's an encounter/experience hack for the first two games.

>> No.4117458

>>4117447
It's an option in the complete collection. Also walking speed.

>> No.4117471

>>4117146

I've only played a bit of either, but already I think 1 is better than 2. 2 seems like it's hard and grindy for the sake of it.

>> No.4117929

I've beaten PS1 and gotten to the Dams in PS2, and while I can see how much of a step up 2 is, I pretty much don't want to keep playing and I think I'm gonna move on to 3.

That being said, PS1 was really freaking good.

>> No.4117939

>>4117180
>It's considered one of the best RPGs of that generation for a reason.

Only half-decent JRPG on Genesis and anime cutscenes that wowed mouthbreathing casuals

>> No.4117940

I'm about to get into it, just modding my SMS atm to add FM audio as an option.

I have:
>PS1 on SMS retranslated with FM
>PS2 on PS2 translated
>PS3 on Gen
>PS4 on Gen

I didn't want repitition on genesis which is why I got the ps2 version of PS2. I could have done it for 1 but I want to play the FM version on SMS.

Imo, this is the best way to play the series, with each game at their prime, all the while avoiding repitition and console redundancy.

>> No.4117947

I though Phantasy Star fans disowned 3. Maybe you should pick it up after 1, 2 and 4 rather than burn yourself out before you can take on the most popular one in the series.

>> No.4118275

>>4117215
It does the job. No need to get pissy.

>> No.4119963

>>4118275
It does the job very poorly. If someone was fool enough to follow your suggestion they'd be cheating themselves out of a much more enjoyable experience, it is therefore morally objectionable to recommend such a shit option.

>> No.4120850
File: 161 KB, 1890x1417, 1458788776063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just beat PSIII... Can someone explain what the fuck just happened? Specifically Crys' end. It looked like they were heading to earth, but in PSII it was said the earth was destroyed.

Or am I not supposed to understand until I play IV?

>> No.4121548

>>4120850
It is not touched upon in PS4. I guess the Earth being destroyed doesn't have to mean it exploded. Maybe they just found a dead Earth, or maybe it recovered over the last 1000 years. But more likely it was a simple oversight. It can't be helped.

>> No.4122171

Play 1, then 4. Then if you just can't get enough try 2 & 3.

1 is good although the start is awful (2 hours of nearly dying to flies). Once you get teammates it starts to pick up and drag you in though.

4 is the best of the bunch by far.

2 & 3 both made some very poor design decisions that will make the games too tedious for most. 3 is made by a different team entirely.

>> No.4122287

>>4120850
You can only get a 'reasonable' explanation from fan-canon theories;
It's suggested that Aron(Lena, Alair waifu) is the best ending that this works with, since they go into a black hole and possibly time travel, though it can work with all but one ending too. Anyway, suggestions are that your ship crashes on the moon, and the Earthmen recover what's left, using it to build Noah from PSII. However, Dark Force is hiding in one of the components that they use, and during the flight, he corrupts(?) them into the evil people they were at the end of PSII.
I might have to find the detailed essay that went into this sometime...still some stretches of the imagination here and there, but it worked out quite well.

>> No.4122294

>>4122287
That is fucking interesting m8. If you find that essay I would love to read it.

>> No.4122483

>>4116172
The music in that game hurts my fillings

>> No.4122589
File: 137 KB, 1280x960, PSO_Logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any of you feel like playing PSO on Ephinea?

I wouldn't mind helping all of you to get into Ultimate,you can get on there in one or two days if you kill the Dragon for ten hours non stop

>> No.4123059
File: 64 KB, 1142x640, FB_IMG_1500140164182.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so this just happened in PSO2
this is not a collab crossover event
this is PSO2 Episode 5 main story

Warrior Queen Alis Landale and King Lutz

Lutz appears to be a clone though because he has newman ears and the name Lutz Cero Rei Quint (Lutz 005)

There are no indications that Alis is anything other than the original. Her full name and appearance other than the queen armor is the same.

There is also phantasy star 1 palman monsters.
Episode 5 is not out yet so full story details are unknown.
The Arks of pso2 went through a black hole to get to this place after leaving Earth.

>> No.4123150

>>4123059
Holy fuck

>> No.4123159

>>4123059
also in PSO2 Alis Landale is voiced by Sumi Shimamoto. best known for voicing Nausicaa in Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

>> No.4123202

>>4122483
Intro theme was the tits though

https://youtu.be/NTLUnVJSiAY

>> No.4123238

>>4122589
Rushing and being rushed are honestly more boring than just playing the damned game. I don't understand why lowbies are in such a rush, and I usually won't participate. They don't learn how to play, and then they get to ult and ruin everything by running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I'm not interested in playing a Chinese fire drill simulator. /rant

>> No.4123245

>>4123202
Pretty sure he mistook the PSIII meme for PSIV. Or he thought OP image was cover for PSIII.

And even then, PSIII had lots of good tracks. The painful music maymay is based on that one battle track that loops after like two seconds.

>> No.4123461

>>4123238
p.sure the reason people rush to Ult is because theirs no one in the lower difficulties. The community on ephinea is 99% ult players.

>> No.4123776

>>4122171
>(2 hours of nearly dying to flies).
A gross exaggeration if I ever heard one. Try about an eighth of that time.

>> No.4123784

>>4123059
>There are no indications that Alis is anything other than the original.
Don't be a tool. PSO2 is not in continuity with classic Phantasy Star, this is just reusing an old character in a new story. It doesn't mean it's literally the same character with the same background and experiences. Japanese stories do this sort of thing all the time.

>> No.4123851

>>4122294
Okay, I was incorrect in that it wasn't an essay, but a collaborative project between (at least) two guys working to make the first four games come together in a 2000 year epic, as opposed to four games that took place in/near the same solar system with bits and pieces. At the time I first found this, it was fascinating how much thought went into it...I still have much respect for the project even now. Hopefully you and any other anons enjoy it as well.
http://www.phantasy-star.net/psu/psutime.html

>> No.4123874

>>4120850
crys ending leads to phantasy star online where alisa iii was buried on ragol the planet with two moons and became the ruins

the whole plot of pso revolved around the dark falz that survived phantasy star 3 was trying to gather enough energy to "evolve" into a new profound darkness since the old one had been defeated in phantasy star 4. eventually in pso episode 3 falz attempted this evolution but failed and became the "great shadow" which may or may not have grown into a new profound darkness since the "amplam umbra" (great shadow) was never actually destroyed in a proper story scenario and was just treated as a bonus boss for 100% completion

basically if you kill the profound darkness you have to kill all of the dark forces/falz or they will become seeds to regrow the profound darkness

>> No.4123878

>>4123851
the psu timeline is wayy out there in fanfiction land because they assume that lutz and noah are two different people

>> No.4124006

>>4123878
I refer you to my previous post >>4122287 where I even stated this was fan-canon.
And their theories are given reasoning, so it's fair for them to come to a different conclusion; at least they have some rationale, unlike how people continue to insist that PSO is connected with the first four games(Ragol is really one of the Algol planets, the 'ruins' are really Alisa III or Noah, etc).

>> No.4124657

>>4116172
They're all pretty bad but SEGA had fairly slim pickings for RPGs so it is what it is. You want an RPG on Mega Drive or not kiddo?

>> No.4124713

>>4116172
Mr. Gentleman is the true scholar and the subject
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QN8HxMkIw

>> No.4125071

>>4116172
Played all of them, love all of them. Best way to play are the original mega drive and genesis games. Play them on that late edition genesis that can play both.

>> No.4125078

Wanted to get into the series for a long time, love the look of phantasy star 2 and 4
Playing through 2 at the moment actually, how the fuck do I find out where to go in this game? I can remember playing 4 as a kid and having no issues.
And is there anything that can help me get into the lore of the series? I'd really love to know more about the story and how the later games tie in

>> No.4125149

>>4125078
play the official phantasy star 2 text adventures
they are prequels to phantasy star 2 that add a lot to the character lore. I actually recommend finishing them before finishing phantasy star 2.

they can be found english translated here
http://pscave.com/dow/rom/fantranslated.shtml

i also highly recommend playing the remake of phantasy star 2 after you finish the original phantasy star 2. They added a lot of extra dialog and story depth to the game even though some of the art is a bit off http://pscave.com/psg2/download/

there is a special nei ending that you can unlock after a complex process that is worth trying at least once for a hardcore phan

you need to complete the first game
http://pscave.com/psg1/download/
then when you play phantasy star generation 2 you can load the completed generation 1 save game
then you need to just complete generation 2
after the credits it will ask you to save your completed game data.
then you need to start a second playthrough of generation 2 on the same file and it is essentially a new game plus.

and this is the difficult part

Basically, you need to get every discussion scene and to unlock absolutely every dialog in the game until you've killed Nei First.

>> No.4125153

>>4125149
Speak to everybody upon arriving in a new town.
Use the discussion option every time something new happens (you get a new item like Dynamite, or immediately after you've used it)
When you know someone new is going to join you, go see the governor first and speak to everyone in town. Meet that person, don't take her with you and go see the governor again.
Complete every hidden personal quest (like Amy? giving the trimate to that boy in Zema).
This means you must get:
The story of the main guy and the child facility (in Paseo)
The young boy in Paseo that wants to be a thief like Nei (Rudo is NOT in your party)
The story of the Atomizer in Opta (Nei)
The group of 3 ppl in Paseo (Rudo)
Amy must give that boy in Zema (Uriel) a trimate (do that straight away!)
Have Hugh meet the scientist that gives you the gum after he already gave you the gum.
Have Anna hear about the motavian thieves in Opta
In Opta, have Rudo talk to Philipp to get the Necklace with the Silver Bullet.
Have Kain learn about Prof Rubeno (? who was that guy?) in Piata
Have Shir learn about the portrait stolen by the motavian in Queris? (the town where you get the maruera gum)

>> No.4125171

>>4125153
Easy ones to overlook are:
Talk to everyone in Arima on your first visit and then on your next visit again -without- Rudo in your party.
After the tragic scene in the north bridge, use the discussion option TWICE.
Learn Musika before entering the Biosystem Labs and use discussion.
Use the discussion option after dynamiting the 3rd floor of the Biosystem Labs.
When you get the System Recorder from the governor, get directly out of the headquarters (don't go to the library) and use discussion. Enter again, go to library, exit and use discussion again.
Use the discussion at some point in the west bridge before using the Tube Key.
After giving out the polymeteral (? don't remember that item in english, it's been too long) use discussion before you speak to the motavian guy.
Go to the whirlpool on the map, examine it, and use the discussion option before using the maruera gum.
Refuse to fight Nei First and use discussion.

Once you've done all that, kill Nei First and when the scene unfolds in the paseo lab, you should be able to revive her. She can't be taken out of your party, as usual.
Her "Nei weapon" is the Animal Claw, which you will get in Skur in the basement floor 3 in exchange for the Necklace with a Silver Bullet.

>> No.4125206

>>4125149
>>4125153
>>4125171
then there is the official phantasy star memorial drama cd that ties in directly to phantasy star 4
http://pixelkiss.com/phantasystar/translation.html

and check out the japanese books
http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/diversos/livros/start

>> No.4125307

>>4123461
Mostly this,finding games on normal is easy and usually you won't spend too much time on it but hard and very hard can take a lot of time if you don't find any games or someone doesn't carry you.
Not to mention that people get so used to TTF that every other quest becomes a drag to them for this exact reason.
I really wish the community could get bigger to the point where the first five lobbies are full most of the time.
I think that if someone is feeling like playing PSO now it's the time to do it,there's so much stuff that makes the game more enjoyable and compared to the past there isn't any risk of your character getting fucked up.
The only thing missing on Ephinea is players,you can find games at any time but more people would make it perfect and the definitive way of playing the game.

>> No.4125556

>>4125149
Putting the man game on hold until I play all of these adventure games, just finished neis adventure, god she's cute.
What order should I play them in?
If there isn't an actually order just gimme release dates

>> No.4125557

im playing through the first ps game right now and i have no fucking idea where to go or what im doing
also barely even sure why im on this quest. i need to kill a king but my only motivation is that he killed my brother in self defense. but everyone seems to hate the guy so i guess its cool

>> No.4125562

>>4125556
Or even worst to best

>> No.4125709

>>4124713
Wow, thanks for sharing. That video is hella good. Who knew breaking down a JRPG in a literary vein could be so interesting without also being full-on cringe? Shades of Joseph Campbell...

>> No.4125737

>tfw PSII is my favorite RPG

>> No.4125787

I know of a few independent used game stores in nearby towns. How much is fair to pay for each PS game? And SMS/Sega consoles?

>> No.4125892

>>4125787
Average price by condition on Amazon is generally I consider "fair".

>> No.4125913

>>4125892
I didn't even know Amazon carried used video games. Cool. Thanks.

>> No.4126432

>>4125556
you can play them in any order honestly but if you really want to keep track of the timeline they tell you the AW year during the intro of each adventure.

also try to play through the text adventures without guides

its more fun

enjoy figuring out the sand shark lol

>> No.4126720

I'm halfway through the original on the Master System, it's kinda fun but at the same time kinda boring since you never really know where to go.

I've looked at a guide for a majority of the game, and honestly it feels like I've put 10 hours into the game and I'm hardly anywhere.

I'm considering dropping it, and going onto 2, but at the same time I've come this far. I should just go through with it and finish it.

It's also times like these I wish we got the FM synth for the Master System.

>> No.4126824

>>4126720
Villagers tell you where to go, at least on the re-translation.

If you can't hack 1 i'd suggest heading straight to 4. 2 is even more convoluted than 1, the dungeons are massive and all look the same, and you're certain to get horribly lost in them.

>> No.4126875

>>4124713
A gentleman scholar indeed.

>> No.4126884

>>4119963
It's morally objectionable how much of a pissy autist you are holy shit

>> No.4127063

>>4126720
>>4126824
Nah dude, nah. II is absolutely essential, play with a map. The game literally came with irl maps.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps2/maps.shtml

>> No.4127538

>>4127063
This Anon makes a good point, it did come with maps. You're handicapping yourself if you're not using everything the game developers are giving you, it's part of their design.

>> No.4127539

>>4119963
It's a great collection. Emulate the first game with the fan translation and play the rest on there. Easy peasy.

>> No.4127568

>>4127538
>>4127063
The Japanese version didn't come with those maps. They added them for the foreign version because foreigners are retarded.

>> No.4127569

>>4127538
Pretty sure the maps were made at the last minute after Sega realised how poorly designed the dungeons were.

>> No.4127745

>>4127569
True, the maps seem essential for first time players, there's no way to get your bearings in the dungeons and there's so many dead ends that you can end up fucking yourself over with.
When you look at the maps the dungeons are actually really simple in design but they're just so broad and barren with little to no distinction, how are you meant to know if you've gone up or down a floor

>> No.4127771

this thread came at the right time, holy shit. I'm gonna start playing Ps1, with the retranslated version of PSCave (I suppose is the best version?), but which emulator is the best when it comes to sound, fps, compatibility and all that? I never emulated SMS or GEN before and have no idea where to start.

>> No.4127796

>>4127568
Or maybe they made a mistake and tried to correct it. This debate has been going on since IF games from the 70's, how unpleasant navigating mazes is in so many fairly early games. Remember, people are supposed to be having fun here, not everyone finds navigating enjoyable. I remember back in the early 90's when I tried those games for the first time, I usually wound up having to make my own maps on paper anyway. And again, some people don't find that terribly stimulating.

>> No.4127960

>>4127569
You realize dungeons are actually extremely well designed once you see them in their entirety, the problem is how you can only see like two tiles ahead of wherever you're moving in the game itself.

>> No.4127962

>>4127960
*realize the

>> No.4128008

>>4120850
PSIII's got multiple endings. That one implies the black hole takes you back in time to past Earth, thus potentially setting up PSII's Earthmen to have spacefaring tech to get to Algol and Dark Force to be in the Earthmen tech. It's pretty explicit that you go back in time.

>> No.4128212

>>4128008
arons ending has the black hole to past earth

crys ending is the one where you almost get burned up in a sun and then approach a planet with two moons

>> No.4129328

>>4124713
Damn, that's impressive.

>> No.4129345

>>4128212
>crys ending is the one where you almost get burned up in a sun and then approach a planet with two moons
Slightly incorrect. All but Sean's endings have you, after slightly different events, approaching Earth at the end. Granted, Adan and Crys' endings only imply it, but the same model is used in all instances, there's only one moon, and it's described as 'the third one out'.

>> No.4129471
File: 259 KB, 715x951, crys and aron.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4129345
>but the same model is used in all instances, there's only one moon

you obviously have never watched the endings

crys is top
arons is bottom

earth doesnt have two moons anon

>> No.4130060

https://youtu.be/NO-5nEH9Vxw

>> No.4130082

>>4129471
Not him but top is Parma with Motavia and Dezoris behind it, not moons. The Algo Star System.

I cant explain the other planets on top/moon on bottom, but my meme conspiracy theory is that earth somehow became Parma. It's essentially the same sprite but with extra green, probably due to their ability to better control the climate and ecology.

In this meme theory, the earthlings from II either didn't realize, possibly because of time travel/paradox hijinx, or they did realize but didn't like what it had become for some reason and therefore didn't consider it earth anymore.

>> No.4130105

>>4129471
A) I have, though it's been a long time ago.
B) The YT video I used to refresh my memory was apparently shit, because I did not see what you posted in the comparisons.
Not entirely certain that that could be called 'two moons'(spatial distance is subjective in a sense), but I can acknowledge its validity.
>>4130082
Not sure that meme theory holds water, but it is possible that Crys' ending had them slingshot around the sun for time travel shenanigans. That's the only way it would work though, as remember Parma was long destroyed by the time of the ending.

>> No.4130382

>>4130060
Jesus, what trash.

>>4130082
Nah, it's more likely to be Ragol as anything else. But that's not considered canon anyway... Also, why does time travel enter into all of this theorizing? There is no mention of any such thing anywhere in the series, and PS III took place a millennium after PS II at roughly the same period that PS IV takes place.

>>4130105
>slingshot around the sun for time travel shenanigans
dafuk? This is PS III, not Star Trek IV.

>> No.4130394

>>4130382
>Also, why does time travel enter into all of this theorizing? There is no mention of any such thing anywhere in the series

Anon it literally happens in one of the PSIII endings

>> No.4130397
File: 310 KB, 1920x1440, 1499876240431.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4116172
>killing off the best character so blonde generic rpg child can go on an adventure

>> No.4130783 [SPOILER] 
File: 27 KB, 232x700, 1500437342694.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4130382
>dafuk? This is PS III, not Star Trek IV.
Right, because media of one type has NEVER influenced other forms of media before.[/sarcasm]
>>4130397
Funny, I don't remember pic related having any death scene...

>> No.4131156

>>4127745
> how are you meant to know if you've gone up or down a floor
The stairs leading up and down are visually distinct.

>> No.4131181

>>4130082
>Not him but top is Parma with Motavia and Dezoris behind it, not moons. The Algo Star System.
Why would the ship go back to the very system it fled from? Listen to yourself, man. You're crazy.
> earth somehow became Parma
That's it, get off my internet.

>> No.4131186

>Phantasy Star Ultimate timeline
Oh boy. Don't make me post excerpts from their post-PS2 story where Xe-A-Thoul mutilates Hugh, Nei Third brutally murders Lutz and then Rudo.

>> No.4132182

pso offers another origin for the "earthmen". within pso there is an entire sub plot revealing that the true purpose of the pioneer project is to continue D Cell research and complete the MOTHER project (basically mother brain) that would possibly fix corals problems for the coral government. The mother project is successfully completed in the ragol ring subplot of psobb where you ally with black paper, a covert arm of the coralian government. The Arkz organization in pso episode 3 is partly formed by black paper members who wish for pioneer 2 to leave ragol partly because they know the truth behind the evolution of dark falz and and that they are doomed if they remain there and some desire to return to coral. It's possible that Arkz is named after Coral's moon Arka that is shown in ps zero. in Phantasy Star Zero it is revealed that soon after Coral's last transmission to pioneer 2 that the Coral government activated MOTHER but the dark falz cells in its core corrupted her and caused her to nuke the planet in an event known as "the great blank". Mother protected some of the surviving coralians and allowed some of them to exit the system. in pso episode 3 the last communication from coral is that they have found another planet to migrate to and that ragol is no longer within its interests and that pioneer 2 is independent. Mother renamed Coral Earth after the great blank and the survivors mostly believed that they were earthmen. There are several copies of mother with different roles in phantasy star zero. Its possible that the ship noah in phantasy star 2 could be from coral carrying a copy of the corrupted mother while the earthmen are coralians brainwashed by mother.

>> No.4132192

>>4132182
as for how they arrived in algol's past if alisa iii is ragols ruins.
the coralians have faster than light subspace travel technology
there is probably time travel possibilities there

>> No.4132229
File: 335 KB, 1280x1858, Phantasy_Star_Online_Book_of_Hunters_024_Archive_Scans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

a wren type android was also planned to appear in pso

siren type 386
here us an image from the book of hunters

siren386 is also an enemy in phantasy star 4 that can be encountered on kuran
obviously theres also siren in phantasy star 3

>> No.4132249

>>4132229
The japanese text next to siren says that he is from phantasy star 3. They said that they planned to have him included in pso but they were unable to add him due to time constraints. "It would be a shame to not release this artwork."
It says unlike other androids siren has no emotions and only obeys orakians. He would help those who would become heroes over generations.

>> No.4132941

>>4132229
There's two Sirens in PS3. Both 'Wren' and the enemy Siren are both Siren in Japanese. They're both the same model, only one has no skin. There's no 'Wren' type. The 'Wren' from PS4 is Foren, an entirely unrelated model. Misleading translation strikes again!

>> No.4133072
File: 661 B, 34x63, siren386.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4132941
yeah I was just using the localized name

there is a siren in ps4 though but its an enemy in kuran

>> No.4133079

>>4132229
>tfw there will never be deep lore in phantasy star ever again due to anime cliche pandering

it hurts

>> No.4134285

>>4132229
Does he have a SX or DX processor?

>> No.4135459

Is it fair to say Phantasy Star has the best stories of the early JRPGs?

>> No.4135468

>>4123059
Hurry up and release this shit in the west.
Then do DQX.

>> No.4135565
File: 659 KB, 2042x1806, classicps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4123059

>> No.4135576

>>4134285
386SX because 16 bit lol

>> No.4135586

>>4135459
I has one of the better settings, at least.

>> No.4135703

Holy shit all this fucking plot.

I thought this was just an RPG series

>> No.4135714

>>4135565
Reusing old plot ideas does not constitute DEEPEST LORE. They've done it before and it never fit. And that reaper monster is just a Luda Sorceror reskin for cryin' out loud.

It is not in continuity with the classic games, let it go.

>> No.4135717
File: 105 KB, 519x333, robot cop motavian massacre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4135703
You don't know the half of it.

>> No.4135974

>>4135459
I think so, at least. Specifically PSII in particular.

>> No.4136831

>>4135717
Fuck da Polezi! We wuz Motavianz 'n shieet.

>> No.4137782

>Phantasy Star 1

Someone end me.

>> No.4139892

>>4116176
This.

>> No.4139935
File: 4 KB, 320x288, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Phantasy star gaiden.

>> No.4139940
File: 46 KB, 256x294, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4139935
Phantasy star adventure. Both game gear.

I didn't mention the text novel game.

>> No.4139941

>>4139935
Is it worth finishing? I only played it for about 10 minutes years ago.

>> No.4139948

>>4139941
>Is it worth finishing?
It's not worth starting. People complain about the encounter rates in PS2 and PS3. These people are BABIES. Those games are nothing. PS Gaiden has high encounter rates.

>> No.4139951

>>4139948
You weren't kidding, I watched a video just now and there was a battle every 2 or 3 steps.

>> No.4139958

>>4139941
Harder in some ways, easier than others. Highest encounter rates, but shortest game.

>> No.4139972
File: 69 KB, 648x449, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4139940
Also the ps2 remakes of the first two games.

>> No.4139991

>>4139972
Why. Make it not exist.

>> No.4140559

>>4139948
At least escape command always works in Gaiden. Completed it in one sitting and forgot about it the next morning.

>> No.4141801

>>4116172
It was better then final fantasy

>> No.4141910

>>4132229
God dammit, I wish the casts in PSO looked like in the pic.

>> No.4141942

>>4127771
Retroarch with the Genesis Plus GX core is your best bet.