[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 7 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4079363 No.4079363 [Reply] [Original]

I saw the Polybius thread and thought that maybe you guys would like to discuss /vr/ related stuff in the same vein.

Feel free to share
>Urban legends you know
>Personal experiences
>Etc.

>> No.4081993

Curiosity Bump

>> No.4082497

Another bump

>> No.4082539

let's bump

>> No.4082543

friendly bump for interest

>> No.4082548
File: 1.95 MB, 370x343, tumblr_obllbdeQDT1rrftcdo1_400.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This happened to me once as a kid, inside the castle, where the two pillars are, and none of my friends believed me. I told them that I jumped in the puddle and a fish came out.

>> No.4082583

if you use the nude cheat in tomb raider and shoot with the bazooka it will tear off lara's arm upon shooting

>> No.4082679

>>4082548
happens in shallow water everywhere even without containing fish. I've seen it in thwomp's

>> No.4082701

>>4082548
Told my friend I played so much Mario 64 that I hallucinated the penguin that sits in a puddle from the snow stage.

>I was lying

>> No.4082935

>>4082701
fucking madman

>> No.4082958

>Be a huge Street Fighter 2 fan in 5th grade
>knew the differences in Champion edition, Turbo, etc. (Super wasn't out yet)
>Friend tells me about Street Fighter 2 Thunder edition he played at the local bowling alley.
>Call him out as a liar because if there were a Thunder edition I would know about it.
>One day I happen to go to said bowling alley
>And there it is. Thunder edition

Turns out it was a bootleg hacked version of SF2 Champion (similar to rainbow) where you could switch characters mid fight. I also remember the characters had weird color schemes not in the other versions and many characters could throw hadoukens which normally couldn't. Also weird shit like the fireballs flying in arcs sort of like medusa heads in Castlevania. I have looked up videos of Thunder edition on Youtube but they seem different from the one I played. I think what I played was closer to rainbow but the marquee on the cabinet said Thunder edition.

Here's a vid of rainbow which I think may be what I played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQ_b66OrbI

>> No.4082982
File: 6 KB, 183x140, Missingno.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4079363
Missingno has always been disturbing to me. Stuff like the way the game hangs when you encounter it, the fact seeing it screws with your data even if you don't save. Even the way you trigger the encounter feels like a bizarre ritual.

Also, the creepy glitch music that can play. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSyzAtyBivI

Are there any glitches that feel like something from a creepypasta?

>> No.4082998

>>4082982
Encountering it doesn't mess up your data. That's only if you catch it. I still have my pokemon blue cart from my childhood with over 100 rare candy and master balls using the missingno glitch, my save state hasn't messed up at all.

>> No.4083007

>>4079363
Dude at our local arcade SWORE that he saw a bouncing smiley face appear on screen in Mortal Kombat (can't remember if it was 1 or 2). He said it moved along the bottom of the screen under the fighters during a match. He was not the kind of dude who ever made up stories, so he seemed sincere. Though I've looked it up online and I can't find any evidence that it exists.

Same dude also claimed that he once saw something fly across the sky in the background of one of the stages in Mortal Kombat (again, it was either 1 or 2, but I can't remember which exactly).

>> No.4083008

>>4082998
It will mess up your Hall of Fame though just by seeing it. The hanging at the start of the encounter is the game saving over that part of the data,

>> No.4083016

>>4083007
>Same dude also claimed that he once saw something fly across the sky in the background of one of the stages in Mortal Kombat (again, it was either 1 or 2, but I can't remember which exactly).

I forgot to mention that he said he didn't get a good enough look at it to see what it was, but he thought it was a silhouette of something.

>> No.4083019

>>4082982
Using the action replay for PS1 I can play as normally unplayable boss characters in various games.

Red scorpion from ehergeiz

Darktooth from twisted metal 2

Playing as these characters messes with the game in weird ways. Some objects won't render textures, running into walls too hard will cause you to exit level boundaries, some cpu opponents won't perform any actions. It's bizarre. Could make for some good creepy pasta material.

>> No.4083021

>>4083008
Yeah that's true, but it's not like I'm looking at my hall of fame anyway. So not too bad I guess.

>> No.4083029

I remember there was a hidden tank game in NBA Jam that you could unlock by holding down and all buttons on both sticks. I remember you could do this without even inserting credits so I would mess around with it after running out of quarters when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_7MiCFSpyk

>> No.4083031

>>4079363
I beat the running man

>> No.4083032

>>4083016
That's actually real, all kinds of stuff floats by the moon on the pit stage in the original game, but only rarely.

>> No.4083036

>>4083029
NBA Jam had tons of interesting secrets. There's also this story from the lead designer:
"...one night we were playing Mortal Kombat and there was a Jam machine next to it, and all of a sudden the game started calling out "Petrovic!" "Petrovic!" And this only happened after Petrovic had died. Everyone started freaking out. Something weird was going on with the software, and to this day, if you have an original NBA Jam machine every once in a while it will just yell out "Petrovic!" It's wild."
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/9/26/4772246/four-bizarre-revelation-espn-interview-nba-jam

>> No.4083048

>>4083032
>>4083016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE-SKJ1caBI

>> No.4083098

>>4083007
>Dude at our local arcade did a lot of drugs

>> No.4083115

>>4083007
>bouncing smiley face
Don't know if this is it, but I found a video with a smiley face in MK2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZSn3PeiVh4

>> No.4083127

>>4083048
What language is this supposed to be? A really fucked up portuguese?
How the fuck BRs can use the internet and even edit videos but can't write their own language?

>> No.4083535

>>4083007
the figure flies in front of the moon
it's part of finding Reptile
It's in MK1

>> No.4083539
File: 334 KB, 518x390, bk-stop-n-swop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4083925

When I was a kid I was told that once you beat Sonic Adventure with Super Sonic you unlocked Dr. Eggman, with the goal of stopping Sonic before he reached the end of the stage.

I still like that idea.

>> No.4084202

>>4082982
>mfw missingno actually turns off your gb

>> No.4084248

I don't think that's vr related but does anyone rember the name of that game which you can only play one time and then it uninstall itself. I read about some time ago and a japanese brought the only retail copy available.

>> No.4084825
File: 54 KB, 620x400, killswitch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4084248
You might be thinking Killswitch.

>> No.4085954

I remember my close friend back in the day (bout 93 or 94) telling me about Street Fighter Rainbow Edition. Saying you can do weird shit like perform some moves in midair, throw multiple fireballs etc. etc. I was like... "Ummm, yeah sure", because, in a way, he was THAT KID back then. Fast forward to 2014, I randomly remember him telling me that. Google SF Rainbow Edition.
>wtf??
>its real

>> No.4088367

>>4084825
yep, ty anon. Does anyone have any info on that guy that brought the cartridge for that insame amount of money? I wonder how many rich he must be to buy such a niche product.

>> No.4088441

Does anyone remeber the PS1 game that told you that your Disc was dirty when it crashed?
Happened to me in 2000-01 but I can't remember.

>> No.4088445

>>4082958
A classic tale that I wager many lads can tell. I had a similar experience with the rainbow version.

>> No.4088450

Old video games tend to be a source of weird shit – PC titles, obviously, but even unlicensed cartridge games were fairly easy to do on a lark, as I’m sure some people remember first-hand and others have heard.

I like to collect these weird games when I can; most of them are just shiity shit made by mongoloids, but some are funny or even creepy. Take Goat Jump – I got it from a pawnshop owner that I know who knows I buy old games. I don’t know if Goat Jump is the actual name, because the original label has been peeled off and a small one affixed with just those two words.

Anyway, Goat Jump is an apparently unlicensed NES game. Pop it into your NES and it starts right up. There are no credits, no start screen, and no explanation. The graphics consist of a scrolling ranch/prairie with the player being a really shittily-rendered, small cowboy. The ‘goats’ don’t really look like goats, but I guess they don’t look like anything else, either. A makes you jump, while B doesn’t do anything. Pressing start will pause the game, where the screen is mostly filled with the word ‘STOP’ in white block letters; pressing select will make your character stop moving and a loud buzzing sound will play. The music is low-quality psuedo-western beeps. Walking into a goat causes the same buzz to emit as if you’d pressed select, and the screen switches to black with the word ‘LOSE’ filling the screen. The game has to be manually reset from there.

>> No.4088451

>>4088450

The gameplay consists of you jumping over goats. Your apparent reward for this is one point per goat, with the scroll speed and number of goats slowly increasing. Around the fifteen-minute mark, things start getting strange. The music is occasionally interrupted by loud beeps or scratching tones out of sync with the music. The goat sprites begin to become varied, with color errors and such; some are really just incoherent masses of colored pixels. Your cowboy sprite kind of flips back and forth, so it looks like he’s moonwalking. This gets steadily more severe, and the terrain is eventually effected, too, with gray sky, brown trees, and red pixels which I assume are supposed to be blood. By this point the music is incoherent screeching and beeping with no tune, your sprite is gliding along on his back, and the goat sprites are half-sunk into the terrain. You come to the end of your journey around the half-hour mark, where you enter your first and only building rendered shittily in gray brick. From there, your sprite glides into some sort of threshing machine or something and a shitty ‘scream’ plays; you get 100,000 points. A black screen with ‘YOU ONE’ [sic] pops up, with a really fucked-up goat sprite dancing below the words.

Again, the game has to be manually reset. Graphical and sound glitches appear earlier or randomly in subsequent playthroughs. Goats are replaced with your cowboy sprite laying on its back with ‘blood’ on it (and occasionally missing pieces). Randomly, your cowboy is replaced with a goat, and, bafflingly, a large boot.

Like I said, weird. I’ve never found any information on Goat Jump anywhere. I assume it was a joke or a personal project or something. What the fuck.