[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 610 KB, 1024x690, 0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4074242 No.4074242 [Reply] [Original]

okay, this might be hard to get an answer from the people I want to, but is there anyone who played Metroid 2 back when it came out? Without spoiler I mean?

What I want to know is, how did you react to the ending? Did you try to shoot the larva when it emerged? Did you understand what was going on?

Incidentally, did playing Metroid and Metroid 2 beforehand affect your experience of Super Metroid? Did it made its sacrifice more meaningful

>> No.4074262

>>4074242
>Did you understand what was going on?
Yes, and I thought it was really cool, one of my favorite game endings still. Don't remember if I tried shooting at it at first, but it's probable.

>Incidentally, did playing Metroid and Metroid 2 beforehand affect your experience of Super Metroid? Did it made its sacrifice more meaningful
I guess but I didn't beat SM until a few years ago

>> No.4074294
File: 44 KB, 768x720, Metroid 1 vs 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't remember, but I think I had been spoilered by Super Metroid by then.

How did you feel about the utilization of screen space/"viewing distance"?

>> No.4075037

>>4074294
I didn't notice that until people complained about it online years later. Honestly, Metroid 1 doesn't have a lot going on in all that additional space. Might be interesting to compare the player sprite/screen ratio in the newer ones.

>> No.4075046

>>4074294
If designed correctly, I think a gameboy game can seem even larger than an NES or SNES game. Take Link's Awakening for example. When it comes down to it, the play area is tiny per screen, but the devs made terrific use out of that area, and made a full featured and long game. M2 is similar, although not nearly as well polished. The lack of a map and use of both claustrophobic and huge spaces makes you feel exposed, especially with the short draw distance. It really plays into the horror and loneliness of the game. Spiderball also really stretched things out because you never knew where it would take you.

>> No.4075125

>>4074242
>Did you try to shoot the larva when it emerged?
At first yes

>Did you understand what was going on?
It made sense quickly. It was a pretty awesome ending for a game.

I hadn't played through Metroid 1 when I got M2 and didn't play Super until many years later.

>> No.4077292

Some people insist that, if not starting with Metroid 1 and 2, as they are not really entry-level games for newcomers to the series, then you should actually start with Super, then only play Fusion and Zero Mission.

Always thought Zero Mission was the best way to start the series, though. This game seems to be made as an entry to the series in the first place.

Wonder how pertinent a Zero Mission>Samus Returns (the new one>Super discovering order would be...

>> No.4077309

>>4077292
I played a little Super Metroid and Metroid 2 as a kid, but never enough to beat either. When AM2R came out last year I played it and loved it, and then went on to Super, and felt like it was the greatest 2D game of all time. Before that the only Metroid games I had played enough to beat were Prime 3 and Other M.

>> No.4077341

>>4074242
A friend of mine had metroid2, so I played it a bit and because he liked it alot. I found it hard to enjoy. Played AM2R last year and holy shit, I didn'T knew a metroid could be played like that. I always felt game boy games were done wrong, same for nes. They always look so ugly. But then you have to remember that these games were coded directly into the processor. And that shit isn't easy..

>> No.4077354

I played this when it came out when I was in 3rd grade. I tried to shoot the larva. I feel like I'm being a hipster when I say it but its the truth I think it's the best one. Labrynthine and spooky

>> No.4077370

>>4077354
Honestly the original Metroid 2 is a really great, underrated game. Definitely the most atmospheric on that handheld.

>> No.4078302

>>4074242
Metroid 2 was my first Metroid. Didn't know anything except Samus was a girl, didn't even know the bosses were called Metroids. Really awesome experience. The dark colors and weird music made for a real feeling of isolation. In hindsight it it struck a great balance: there was no map so I always felt lost, but it was linear enough that I was able to stumble through it in a reasonable time anyway.

And yes, the ending was really great.

>> No.4078608

>>4077292
>Some people insist that
This is /vr/, some people insist all kinds of crazy shit. Think for yourself and own your own experiences.

It doesn't really matter the order in my opinion

>> No.4080967

>>4077370
I never really could get into the music.

>> No.4081092

>>4080967
It's ambient

>> No.4081862

>>4080967
Does that matter?

>> No.4081975

>>4081862
>>4081862
Some people on /vr/ seem genuinely more interested in the music than the game. I've always played most games with the sound off or low, (or the music turned all the down when it's an option) just to avoid it.

>> No.4084108

>>4081862
I am just surprised so many people praise the music of Metroid 2 when it's the least memorable aspect of that game for me.

>> No.4086210

>>4080967
I agree, most of it sucks, but The Tunnel is my motherfucking jam

Ever hear the Metroid Metal version? Damn

>> No.4086995

>>4074242
Metroid II was my first Metroid but I think I played Super before I ever beat II. Oh well.

Also it was my first experience of fear in a video game. I was never ready to face another evolved Metroid.

>> No.4089038

>>4074242
I played it when it came out but come on, that was twenty six fucking years ago. Do I remember if I read about the babby in a mag, no. Do I remember my initial reaction the first time, after I've already played through it a half dozen times over the years? No.

I barely even recall the ending itself now and I've played it in the last four years. I remember having to use the babby to eat blocks, so I probably shot at the egg first or something and once I realize it wasn't hurting me and that it was imprinted I just went with it.

>Incidentally, did playing Metroid and Metroid 2 beforehand affect your experience of Super Metroid?
Eh, somewhat, I mean there was the whole "does it even remember me?" "Is it fucking me up because I left it with some shitbrains electroshocking it for science?" Otherwise most of the attachment and care was added in SM itself with not murdering you and sacrificing itself/healing you which answered the first question with "it seems so".

If I recall it goes over the babby being picked up in the intro of SM so it's not like the 5 minutes you spend with it in M2 add anything really.

>> No.4089060
File: 53 KB, 256x192, 1446749415727.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bitch should have just killed the little bugger and the galaxy would be at peace.

>> No.4089113

>>4089060
And Samus would have died at the beginning of Metroid Fusion.

This ends the franchise.

>> No.4089145

>>4074242
I played 1 first and hated it. I still do.

Played 2 then 3 shortly after and they were much better. I like 4, Zero Mission, and the Primes as well.

Other M is an ok game by itself, but a shitty Metroid game.

>> No.4089156
File: 230 KB, 636x486, triggered-samus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4089145
>Other M is an ok game

>> No.4089201

>>4089156
If you never played any Metroid game before, it was average.

I beat it once, but I don't think I will play it again.

>> No.4089213

>>4074242

>how did you react to the ending? Did you try to shoot the larva when it emerged? Did you understand what was going on?

I didn't entirely understand what was going on, just that the baby was the final one, and I had to get off of SR388.

>did playing Metroid and Metroid 2 beforehand affect your experience of Super Metroid? Did it made its sacrifice more meaningful

I did make the sacrifice more meaningful. I was a little saddened by the death of the baby. But I quickly shrugged it off, and blasted the shit out of Mother Brain.

I knew that there was going to be exploration, but not on the level that Metroid 2 had.

>> No.4089584

>>4089201
This, I enjoyed Other M decently. It's a strange game for sure, but it was fun and challenging enough for most people to play to the end. it seems more focused on challenging combat than on exploration, I found myself typically making it to the next checkpoint with very low health from all the enemy encounters.

>> No.4089753

>>4074242
I owned the original. But i never got it or my gameboy until way after SNES, and had already beat super metroid
Of course I still shot at the baby metroid, just to see if I could create a time paradox.