[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 126 KB, 500x500, 1359858694628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4067563 No.4067563 [Reply] [Original]

I'm 25 now and I look at my collection with pride, or at least I used to. Now I just look at it with disdain.

How do you cope, /vr/? Adding to the collection? I mean what's the fucking point when you have no one to share it with. All my friends couldn't care less about retro vidya. All of you people are more or less similar to myself: yeah you might have a social life but literally none of it involves retro vidya. If you don't have someone to share it with other than anonymous folk on a slow as fuck message board, then what do you do? Just accept things and find peace? Fuck. I just want to play some local Metal Slug play like the old days. Because of my age I only caught the fumes of those days and it just wasn't enough I tell you. It just wasn't. I don't want Overwatch or League of Legends, I want to play the classics with friends.

>> No.4067572

Don't let your retro hobby consume your life. So long as you treat it as just that - a hobby, and not a fucking lifestyle, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm extremely fortunate in that I've got friends who are into this kind of shit. Sucks that you cant play local coop vidya but it's not the worst thing.

And try some of the newer games. If you start playing those with people, then you've got social contacts who are more likely to try retro gaming than the average person is. Try otger people's hobbies if you want them to try yours.

>> No.4067596

I think it is time for a purge. Sell off the things you collected for the sake of having them and only keep things you actually like.

>> No.4067598

>>4067572

>Don't let your retro hobby consume your life. So long as you treat it as just that - a hobby, and not a fucking lifestyle, it shouldn't be a problem.

I had to give up on my "life". I was going places, shit happened, had to give up. There is no hope for me when I'm in this much debt. May as well immerse myself in my hobby.

>I'm extremely fortunate in that I've got friends who are into this kind of shit. Sucks that you cant play local coop vidya but it's not the worst thing.

Yeah, you're right about this.

>And try some of the newer games. If you start playing those with people, then you've got social contacts who are more likely to try retro gaming than the average person is. Try otger people's hobbies if you want them to try yours.

I liked Warhammer Vermintide well enough, but my buds are so addicted to overwatch and league that its all they want to play. Any attempts to make new friends that game and I just end up with a group of people hyped for the new Call of Duty or Battlefield. All of you fuckers into good shit are just like me, you keep it on the DL so no one at work knows.

It is fucking suffering

>> No.4067602

>>4067563
Playing Metal Slug on the Switch with my buddies is great, join us

>> No.4067603

>>4067596

>buying games you don't like

I don't do this and never have. Thank god I'm not that much of a loser.

>> No.4067604

>>4067598
you got the clinical depression bro. Go and get some help

>> No.4067605

I live in Hickville USA. I've been here for 10 years and I wouldn't say I've got a single friend, certainly not one that likes old games.

I'm married with kids though. The kids like to play the old stuff with me so I guess that's how I manage.

My 8 year old kicks my ass at Donkey Kong 3.

>> No.4067607

>>4067563
>>4067596
>>4067598
Modern games are fucked period. At best you can scrape the bottom of the barrel and hope for an indie game here and there.

>> No.4067617

>>4067604

>go and get some help

after rent is paid and I have food bought I have just enough to buy water and electricity and gas and put like 10 bucks away for next week.

It literally is never happening for me. No help. Ever. Even if I had the money for that, I'd rather spend it on other health related things like a general check up. I haven't had a check up since I was 13.

>> No.4067625

>>4067607

>modern games are fucked

Yeah, its true. Every so often a gem appears but its true.

>> No.4067746

>>4067603
>Thank god I'm not that much of a loser.
well I am

help

>> No.4067759

>>4067563
Sell everything and just use ***lators. Also go for a walk.

>> No.4067763

>>4067563
What state do you live in, OP?

>> No.4067790

>>4067605
You mean , your 8 year old is better than you at donkey Kong 3?

>> No.4067805
File: 80 KB, 540x507, smug frog endboss rare pepe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067763
Constant anxiety, obviously.

>> No.4067823

It was never worth anything. We are all gonna die and none of this matters.

>> No.4067858
File: 617 KB, 2048x1371, Mario Bros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067823
Nothing matters unless you make it matter. It's a human concept and you're free to apply it in a way that makes you happy.

>> No.4067860 [SPOILER] 
File: 977 KB, 450x338, 1497858769283.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"Can't we just play/buy old games because we like to play/buy old games?"

>> No.4067965

>>4067563
>Have retro collection, hide power level masterfully
>Get conservative girlfriend who played 2-3 games before
>Slowly introduce her to the best stuff from gen 5-6 so her expectation goes through the roof
>She quickly finds out how most stuff in gen 7-8 is pure garbage
>Girlfriend is now rabid retro enthusiast, she soldered the Dreamcast IDE mod by herself

>> No.4068015

>>4067965
did she become fatter?

>> No.4068018

>>4068015
Retro enthusiast or not, they all do.

>> No.4068021

>>4067965
My wife hasn't complained about my gaming since I got a Retron 5.

>> No.4068079
File: 827 KB, 500x347, do it.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067563
>25
>married with multiple kids
>american

I hate to say it dude, your church elders really fucked you in the life advice department.

Also it looks like you built a collection because you wanted it to look impressive to other people. Instead of one building itself because you love games and keep buying them.

Frankly if you want friends, but only friends who will play retro games with you, you're a bit of a dick and it's no surprise you're having trouble.

Do you have any interests outside of old video games? Maybe look for a social life there and keep gaming as it's own hobby.

Alternately, if you find you don't actually enjoy a lot of your collection and aren't going to play them on your own, maybe think about selling a bunch of it. You're clearly in bad financial shape, having a collection that you don't really enjoy and that is potentially worth a decent chunk of money is a bit silly.

>>4067617
Not to turn this political, but doctor visits are super important and mental health is just as important. This is why you guys should be fighting for single payer healthcare. No one should be in your position just because you're low income. Your president has said in the past he believes in it, so hopefully he will do good.

You are super depressed. Even if you don't get medical attention, find someone else to talk to about your problems than fucking 4chan.

Get your shit together, anon. Your kids need you.

>> No.4068092
File: 38 KB, 462x574, 1343090048656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067563
I luckily got one good friend who also loves retro gaming. We usually pick one game we are going to play in one sitting till we are finished with, no matter what. It's a blast when we have poured hours into Battletoads, Castlevania 3 or Ghost N Goblins and finally can say we beat it together.

Other times he can come over for some casual gaming and beers while we play fairly easy retro vidya.

I've also introduced my gf for some retro vidya, but it must be easy and fun games like Mario 3 etc, if it gets too hard she just gives up. She really liked Mario 2 and 3 though.

>> No.4068094

>>4068079
>This is why you guys should be fighting for single payer healthcare

I read this as "single player healthcare". Maybe I should go out sometimes.

>> No.4068145

>>4067563
>I mean what's the fucking point when you have no one to share it with.
You aren't interested in games, you're interested in hanging out with your friends. Guess what?
>I'm 25 now
They aren't getting any younger either, and they have less and less free time too. Welcome to adulthood. You wanna multiplayer retro games with others? There's a few ways. That crappy old Kallista or whatever the fuck it was called, MAMEHub, or other websites where you can play games with other people through the site. Instead of blogposting about being an adult now, just go play some fucking videogames.

>> No.4068174

>>4068145
>That crappy old Kallista or whatever the fuck it was called, MAMEHub, or other websites where you can play games with other people through the site.

This is why it's important to know if you're into retro games for the collecting or the playing. If it's collecting, then that huge wall of games is the goal in it's own right and you can just play them whenever the mood strikes.

If what you want is primarily to be playing old games, especially playing them with other people then emulation is really the way to go. Which isn't to say don't collect as well, but with MAME and Fightcade or what you choose, it really opens up your options.

Either is a fine hobby, but knowing if you're a gamer or a collector will help you enjoy it to the fullest.

>> No.4068212

>>4068015
We have arguments every time she stops working out for more than 2 days in a row...

>> No.4068214

>>4067563
You sound like you're trying to fill some empty void in your life with video games rather than playing them purely because you enjoy them. You should probably figure out what's really troubling you and get that resolved maybe it will help bring back the love you used to have for them.

>> No.4068216

>>4068214
>You should probably figure out what's really troubling you

>mid 20's
>married
>kids
>crushing debt
>no real friends
>hasn't seen a doctor since he was a teenager
>huge retro gaming collection

Who could possibly solve this riddle for him?!?

>> No.4068220

>>4068216
Sorry I replied immediately after reading the OP before reading the other posts.

>> No.4068226

>>4067617
You do at least get your kids checkups, right? Even if you don't take care of yourself you at least don't neglect their health so you can buy more copies of Mega Man... right?

>> No.4068232

>>4068216
Am I retarded for not seeing the riddle answer? Mid 20's is still young, so it isn't midlife crisis. He is already married, which means he has someone who loves him and gives him all the care he needs. He even has continuation of the species going for him, someone to hopefully try to impart his retro love into. Debt is pretty bad, but everyone has it, and we just learn to ignore the phone calls where they demand we pay. Friends would be nice, but he has a wife, something a lot better than a friend could ever be. Doctors are overrated, they make you pay for checkups and then tell you the blood sample was dirty and couldn't be used so that the entire checkup was a waste of time. Paying for mandatory healthcare doesn't change that, nor does therapy, which brings even more costs and stress due to these people not letting you just live with your debt. What is wrong with retro games anon, isn't that while we are here? I mean, some of us are stuck in a rut where we don't really like retro games but that is all we know and thus all we play even though it just causes suicidal thoughts and greater depression, but those people tend to at least have the fulfillment of saying they beat those terrible games using save states in an emulator since they were too depressed to ever do it in reality.

>> No.4068241

>>4067563
>Just accept things and find peace?
Yeah.
Metal Slug plays great on your own too, so why don't you stop wingeing and cheer the fuck up.

>> No.4068243

>>4068232
>He is already married, which means he has someone who loves him and gives him all the care he needs
This is assuming he's in a good marriage which I hope is the case but I've met lots of people who rushed into marriage as soon as possible and it turns out they really don't like each other much after being together constantly for a few months/years. Shit my dad did that like four times.

>> No.4068246

>>4067563

Get out while you can.

I'm 31 now and last year I looked up only to see a reflection of myself on the ground snorting powderized Super FX chips off a black prostitute's ass with a torn open box of SNES donor carts and console plastics strewn about.

I no longer collect retro video games, have gotten rid of my collection and make it one day at a time trying to warn others.

>> No.4068252

>>4067596
I'm doing this right now actually.

Not so much games, but definitely hardware.

I have like 15 SNES controllers, and 10 NES controllers, including 3 dog bones, then 2 SNES Advantages, and 2 NES advantages.

I'm culling down to two official NES to keep my set complete. Then I'm going to make some SNES to NES adapters so I can use my SNES controllers on my NES. Then again, I'm culling down to 2 official SNES to keep my set complete.

I bought the advantages with the intention of modding them, but it wasn't economical to do it for both NES and SNES. Now I'll just sell the NES advantages, and mod the SNES advantages to use them for both.

I'm also considering ditching a bunch of games, that I know I'll never play again

>> No.4068254

>>4068246
>snorting powderized Super FX chips off a black prostitute's ass with a torn open box of SNES donor carts and console plastics strewn about.
You were living the dream and completely pissed it away holy shit dude you fucked up hard.

>> No.4068290

>>4068232
>Am I retarded for not seeing the riddle answer?
Then you tell me why you think he's as miserable as he is.

>> No.4068294

>>4068252
You'll regret that when a controller breaks, hoard them all

>> No.4068303

>>4068290
He is miserable because his wife likes modern gaming. He just needs someone to accept him, to validate him, and the person giving him sex won't even give him love for his hobbies. He is stuck in a rut in life, he needs acceptance from someone. That is why he is here, a cry for help to get better people around him.

>> No.4068308
File: 22 KB, 356x327, sdfasdfasdfas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067563
>I'm 25 now and I look at my collection with pride, or at least I used to. Now I just look at it with disdain.
op is a fag.

>How do you cope, /vr/?
i'm so sorry you have to cope with having an enormous collection of games spanning many years and unspeakable amounts of hard work by people who really gave a shit about the quality of their product.

>Adding to the collection? I mean what's the fucking point when you have no one to share it with.
if you spend your life "sharing" your shit with people, looking for someone who cares, you're going to always be disappointed. grow up, anon.

>All my friends couldn't care less about retro vidya. All of you people are more or less similar to myself: yeah you might have a social life but literally none of it involves retro vidya. If you don't have someone to share it with other than anonymous folk on a slow as fuck message board, then what do you do? Just accept things and find peace?
you play the goddamn games you've spend so much tme and effort collecting, you faggot. are some games hard? yes. are they unfair? yes. are they worth it? dude, what they don't teach these days, not that i'm much older than you, is life needs to be a controlled clusterfuck, or it's not fun. you know how people in the military sometimes seem really happy? it's because they've been through real shit involving real death. what's your fucking excuse? if you keep doing what you're doing, you're going to become the most pathetic human possible. you're going to ask for empathy on a goddamn image board, and nobody will feel sorry for you because most people, especially here, are autists who can't into emotion. fortunately, you can, because you're sensitive enough to reflect on your life. congratulations, your sadfaggotry has made you a better person.

>> No.4068309
File: 58 KB, 532x427, img (10).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Fuck. I just want to play some local Metal Slug play like the old days. Because of my age I only caught the fumes of those days and it just wasn't enough I tell you. It just wasn't. I don't want Overwatch or League of Legends, I want to play the classics with friends.
you have to be patient when it comes to friends. with people you know, emphasize what you have in common. and don't be thirsty for friendship. it tends to repel people. be patient, faggot. play some damn games in the meantime. clear your fucking backlog and when you least expect it someone will chat you up. keep yourself available. drop people a line occasionally, like a sup or a merry christmas. consult them for their expertise. keep people around you who are positive and encouraging. stop giving a shit about people who are critical of you but not in a constructive way.

>> No.4068312

I love video games, but I try not to let myself be seen as a "gamer." Maybe you need other hobbies? You never want to be known for just one thing. Remember a couple years ago when I was just the angry feminist? Nobody liked me then, and I didn't like myself either.

>> No.4068324

>>4068303
>He is miserable because his wife likes modern gaming.

OHH SNAP

>> No.4068328

>>4068232
>Doctors are overrated, they make you pay for checkups and then tell you the blood sample was dirty and couldn't be used so that the entire checkup was a waste of time. Paying for mandatory healthcare doesn't change that, nor does therapy, which brings even more costs and stress due to these people not letting you just live with your debt.

Holy shit. All that lead in your drinking water really has done a number on you folks.

>> No.4068330

>>4068309
best advice given so far ITT. Be patient, put yourself out there, and stop complaining. Be grateful there is an online community.

>> No.4068334

>>4068328
Well, this is why I have been getting away from the drinking water. Too many canker sores that way. Now I just bring two 2 liter bottles with me to work to use as water jugs when the water bubbler gets full. Rotate between those, you got infinite pure spring water.

>> No.4068350

>>4067563
If it makes you unhappy just sell it off.

There's no use suffering because of the time and money you spent building the collection. Your happiness is most important.

If /vr/ doesn't make you happy, move on. Don't let your identity keep you stuck in an unhappy play. You only live once, make it count.

>> No.4068362

>anons advising him to sell it all to feed the supply chain and lower prices for themselves

nice

>> No.4068424

What in the name of jumping fucking george are you talking about you insufferable sad sack faggot? If you feel that way you never enjoyed your collection to begin with. You were using it to fill a hole in your life and now you're realizing your life is still empty. Stop projecting your problems on to inanimate objects and find some meaning and purpose in your life. If you can't do that just off yourself and spare the world your misery.

>> No.4068430

>>4068424
If OP actually goes through with your horrible suggestion you can and will get convicted of manslaughter.

>> No.4068438

Sure is /r9k/ up in here

>> No.4068447

OP here. I appreciate the advice but where did you guys get that Im married with kids?

Also I didnt build a collection SOLEY to share with others but Id really like to. It wasnt about impressing people either, I just wanted a friend with an interest in my favorite interest.

>> No.4068451

>>4067563
kill yourself

>> No.4068452

>>4068451

Oh ill get right on that, but first im gonna play some Einhander

>> No.4068457

>>4068451
Fucking stop. I know you're just trying to be an edgy lil shit thinking oh you're soooooooooooo cool telling people to commit suicide on the internet BUT YOU'RE NOT IT'S FUCKING ILLEGAL STOP FUCKING DOING IT YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN YOUR LIFE ONE DAY IF YOU SAY IT TO THE WRONG PERSON AND I DON'T WANT YOU IN JAIL JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU GOTTA ACT TOUGH ON THE INTERNET WHEN YOU DON'T I FUCKING LOVE YOU BRO SO STOP DOING THIS YOU'RE NOT IMPRESSING ANYONE YOU'RE JUST FUCKING YOURSELF OVER STOP STOP STOP SOMEONE JUST MAKE IT ALL STOP I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO DIE SO STOP PLEASE

STOP

>> No.4068468

>>4068457

Uhhh chill man. Im op, not actually gonna kill myself.

Ive been on this board since the start and was merely expressing how lonely this hobby can be. Ive been told to kill myself constantly since i first visited 4chan and im still here 10 years later. Clearly it doesnt work, on me anyway.

>> No.4068475

>>4068457

kill yourself

>> No.4068478

>>4068475
I'm calling the cops and emailing Hiro.

>> No.4068481

Collecting evolves. Sometimes my collection is the best thing in the world. And sometimes its bleh to me. It's just a wave that you have to ride I guess. Sometimes it these fluxes can be encouraging to try out some of your lesser favorites and play test them. Maybe it's time to sell just 5 games to trim the fat.

>> No.4068491

>>4068312
>Remember a couple years ago when I was just the angry feminist? Nobody liked me then,
Nobody likes you now either.

>> No.4068504

>>4068312
>Remember a couple years ago when I was just the angry feminist?

No, I don't remember, because nobody cares about tripfags like you. You are not some celebrity.

>> No.4068526

>>4068504
>>4068491

OP here, you really should filter tripfags my dudes

>> No.4068532

>>4068457
Excellent bait.

>> No.4068550

>>4068491
>>4068504
I legit used to think she was a troll. Even outed her for it. Now she's one of the more reasonable people here.

>> No.4068569
File: 256 KB, 500x375, Mortal_c69119_1775807.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068526
>OP giving life advice

Now that's comedy.

>> No.4068580

>>4068569

may as well. I started filtering posts weeks into my time here, not months or years.

>> No.4068583

>>4068580
I honestly never even notice if someone is using a trip until another person makes a big deal out of it.

>> No.4068597

I have a modestly large collection that I've added to since I was a small child. Only in the past few years since I got a well enough paying job that I bulked up on everything I wanted to play as a kid. It takes up one side of a room in my house and I can retreat there and play something and just be cozy. My wife and daughter love vidya and we share the enjoyment together. My collection is there for all of us and it feels good man. Don't stress over it too much even if you are the only one who it's meant for.

>> No.4068604

>>4067563
go to a barcade

>> No.4068612

>none of my friends actually like what I like

I hate this feel

>> No.4068614

>>4068580
Maybe trying to filter everything you don't like is part of why you're such a depressed sack of crap. I don't know if it's several people or all you, but the unhappy dad has become something of a theme here. If not for yourself, at least get help for the sake of your kids.

>> No.4068661

>>4068550
>outed
Wait, is she actually transgendered? I thought that was just a meme.

>> No.4068671

>>4068614

Filtering namefags and tripfags is not "filtering everything i dont like". Its such a stretch that im appalled you werent aware of it.

Also, im not a dad.

>> No.4068690

>>4068671
>im not a dad
Thank God.

>> No.4068695

>>4068690

You really have no reason to act high and mighty, dude. You're supposed to be anonymous yet always post here in a way to become some sort of personality here.

Fuck off.

>> No.4068701
File: 73 KB, 780x453, 1451883752215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068312

This post is immensely cringe worthy and if anyone in this thread should kill themselves, its you bud.

>> No.4068703
File: 92 KB, 1280x1024, gau mad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068695
>>4068701

>> No.4068706
File: 2.90 MB, 194x191, 1492920280227.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068703

Why would >>4068312 make me angry? I'm not having a hard time understanding your autism, but honest question I'd like to see what you say.

Your coping mechanism for when people call out your cringeworthy posts is to default to the assumption that they're mad at you. I can't be mad at you for making autistic posts. I will however, show my buds and make fun of you.

>> No.4068709
File: 45 KB, 444x554, stop enforcer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068706

>> No.4068714
File: 7 KB, 196x197, 1484353025813.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4068709

I'm hitting close to home, I see.

>> No.4068748

>How do you cope, /vr/?

Copious amounts of food and masturbation.

>> No.4068857

>>4067790
yes.

>> No.4068871

>>4068706
"p-p-p-please kill yourself you're so cringeworthy" is the weakling's comeback, mad or not

>> No.4068875

>>4068748
Add weed, but /thread

>> No.4069020

>>4068328
Our doctors are just generally really shitty.

I can relate to him

I was put on pills by docs and it's given me a fatty liver, chronic gerd, and intracranial hypertension.

Fuck doctors. Taking vitamins makes me feel better than app the bullshit they give me. If I have an infection, I will admit I need antibiotics, or a bone set, but docs are generally just quacks that don't deserve the fuss

I know exactly what anon is talking about and have experienced he same shit.

>> No.4069059

>>4068871

I didn't say they should kill themselves. That was someone else.

I said that they were making cringeworthy posts, and they were. In either case, it wasn't even a "comeback" you moron.

>> No.4069095

>>4067563
>I mean what's the fucking point
Remembering the good old days. Something to pass on to your kid or nephew.

And when the robots come and take over, retro games will be the only ones that won't kill you and still work without mods or hacks.

>> No.4069134
File: 1.40 MB, 2816x2112, 1437370287238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067563
is this you?

>> No.4069141

>>4068232
>I mean, some of us are stuck in a rut where we don't really like retro games but that is all we know and thus all we play

I think that's your problem.

If you never try new things, no wonder you get depressed.

>> No.4069314

>>4069134

OP here. I own a lot of mega man games but good lord I could never do that. Ever.

>> No.4069328

>>4067563
>OP still hasn't beaten Sniper Joe
there's always alcocholism

>> No.4069521

I was in Taiwan a few weeks ago, stumbled up on an arcade around midnight with my gf.

She was playing that drumming game mostly Taiko no whatever, and I sat down playing Sega Tetris on a Versus City.

I fucking hate Sega Tetris, but that was the only Tetris version there and I actually own it Naomi.

I couldn't tell you the fucking excitement I felt when a Challenger appears appeared on screen. I was playing Sega Tetris with some 45 years old Taiwanese man for over half an hour and he was a pretty good player, but so am I.

I have several arcade machines, but basically no one to play it with. I have friends, but with them it's basically coin feeding for an hour and they get bored. Or sometimes with my grill, but it's the same as with my friends, not really skilled.

>> No.4069561

>>4069020
>medicine is poison and vitamins are all you need

As someone studying to become a "quack", I wish it was that easy. Medicine is not a very precise science and human beings are very complicated. I apologize on behalf of the profession if your experience was bad, but really, we're trying our best.

>> No.4069578

>>4068246
Kek

>> No.4069651

>>4069020
Are you also American?

>> No.4069664

>>4067563
I end up selling/giving away my entire gaming stuff when I moved overseas for work couple of years ago. You surprisingly get over it pretty fast.

>> No.4069728

>>4069134
The autism is strong in this one

>> No.4069781

>>4067598
>debt
Watch this shit, OP. Get your fucking life back on track. First step is get your finances on track. You can do this shit. I just got out of debt 3 weeks ago, and it's like a $1,000/mo raise. You can do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8gwTvAVfh4&index=1&list=PLCNK1KOEQ8msQ6wAyUcKwZ0VQJ0VH2JZW

>> No.4069813

>>4067563
Materialism is never worth it, friend.

Go outside and help your fellow man and start reading the bible.

>> No.4069830
File: 46 KB, 250x343, 1443218615104.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4069781
>36% of Americans have less than $1000 for their retirement

Christ how can people be comfortable not saving for retirement? The idea of not having any money and having to work as a Wal-Mart greeter for the rest of your life just to get by because it's the only job your frail old body is capable of doing terrified me too much to not put in at least 10% of every paycheck into it.

>> No.4069890
File: 14 KB, 320x240, 1317071803002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4069830
>how come some people get paid so little they can't afford to put 10% of their paycheck towards their retirement?

>> No.4069906

>>4069890
Of course I don't expect everyone to put that much into it idiot that's just me but for fuck's sake even 1% is still way better than 0%. If you seriously can't save anything for retirement look at what you're spending your cash on and cut back on some things that aren't absolutely necessary.

>> No.4069923

>>4069906
Must suck to live in a country where you have to save for retirement. Here it is a human and legal right to get the pension you need regardless of income and/or savings.

>> No.4069929

>>4069830
I am basically my mother's retirement. She's lived with me since my early twenties. I do not really have money to put back for myself when I make $9 an hour and support two people.

>> No.4069930

>>4069923
I'd rather not rely entirely on the government for my well being when I retire.

>> No.4069932

>>4069890
Single Americans can live off $20,000/yr expenditures. That's the truth.
>but muh food/rent/hookers in my area is too expensive
Move, seriously.

Truth is most Americans buy too much stupid shit like financed cars, big ass TVs, cell phones, expensive food, and famicom games

Bike more eat more oats, rice, and chicken breasts. Drink more water. Go to the fucking library for your internet. Use a cheap cell phone and a $20/mo plan. Sure you can't shitpost as much but that's probably a good thing

t. someone who used to do stupid shit with money and never had any savings until recently

>> No.4069937

Iam so happy that I got rid of all my retro "junk".
Bought a nice car with the money and got myself a few flashcards.
Now I just play my fav retro vidya whenever I want instead of wasting hours on ebay and with other retarded shit.

>> No.4069939

>>4069937
please vacate the presmises..

>> No.4069940

>>4067563
>I'm 25 now and I look at my collection with pride, or at least I used to. Now I just look at it with disdain.

I'm 28 and never had more than a dozen games, pretty well I must say, and I only got two I kinda want to sell.

>> No.4070171

>>4069932
>Have a shitty life in your early years so you can have some money when you are too old and frail to do anything

>> No.4070243

>>4070171
>work hard, play hard, bro!
I'm sorry the Jews got to you, anon.

>> No.4070378

>>4068583
yea same

>> No.4070732

>>4069664
I did the same long ago. I didn't care for a long time. Eventually I decided to get some of the old toys I had as a kid. Then some of the stuff I missed because I was busy with work or family. Now I have much more than I ever had originally.

>>4069932
>live like a hobo
No thanks. There's no point saving for retirement when you're young and inexperienced. That 10% of $8/hour is far better used keeping yourself well nourished and having internet at home so you can better yourself. Putting in 10% of $80/hour down the road is a lot smarter.

>> No.4070772
File: 42 KB, 500x442, 1462473254004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4067563

it matters more to fucking play games instead of pointlessly collect more plastic garbage.

>> No.4070845

>>4070732
>10% of $80/hour down the road is a lot smarter
If you make $80/hr there's no reason not to save 50% of your take home pay. Saving isn't about living like a hobo, it's about not blowing 90% of your paycheck on shit and hoping your matched 401(k) contribution will be enough to retire on

I'm not saying this to be a contarían douchebag, really. The math is pretty simple, and if you would be more intentional with your spending and saving, you would see that living on $20,000/yr is hardly "living like a hobo"

Try a written budget for a month and you'd be amazed at 1) how much money you waste on bullshit that really doesn't make you happy and 2) how much money you can stash away for investments and early retirement

>> No.4071050

Sell it and just emulate if you want to play old favorites. Don't be a dumbass.

>> No.4071053

>>4070845
>there's no reason not to save 50%
Says the kid with no family no house and no nice things. kek
The steps you describe to live off $20k/year pretty much is living the hobo dream and really are retarded for someone your age. The math is very simple. Live like a hobo for several years to save a pittance or enjoy yourself the best you can within your means until you can afford to save for retirement. The actual math, according to you, is $80*50%:$8*10%:. That's 50:1. Maybe check out a few math books nest time you're at the library for your internet.
>take advice from a kid trying to learn how to save money
No thanks. When you've put one kid through collage and have money set aside for the second and have two houses and aren't crying about the price of old toys come back and we can compare notes.

>> No.4071212
File: 16 KB, 811x201, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4071053
>The steps you describe to live off $20k/year pretty much is living the hobo dream and really are retarded for someone your age.
Not really, man. Pic related is my budget, and I get to do plenty of fun shit. I just make a conscious effort to be more mindful with my spending
>save a pittance or enjoy yourself the best you can within your means until you can afford to save for retirement
Putting away $50,000/yr into investments or retirement is a pittance, nice

I'm impressed you've saved up for college for 2 kids and paid off 2 houses while still spending 90% of your paychecks on cars/tvs/old toys. Literally incredible.

>> No.4071250

>>4071212
why are you spending money on google music? it's only 10 bucks but...

>> No.4071265

>>4068703
>bilinear filter
Yes i am very, very angry.

>> No.4071267

>>4069923
>Here it is a human and legal right to get the pension you need regardless of income and/or savings.

and where is that anon?

>> No.4071287 [DELETED] 

>>4071212
>spending money on music
holy shit and you're talking about being frugal hahaha

>> No.4071759

>>4071212
>i don't follow my own advice
So what exactly is your point?

>>4071212
>I'm impressed...spending 90% of your paychecks
Don't be. I haven't made as little as you pretend to since the late 80's.

>> No.4072217

>>4069134
Megaman isn't that good is it, not enough to obsess about it that much, right?

>> No.4072463

>>4072217
Mega man is great. Owning the games is awesome. That guy went too far.

>> No.4072535
File: 91 KB, 564x425, 23526.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>How do you cope, /vr/?
Well I don't own any consoles, cartridges or CDs anymore anymore. I sold everything years ago after it got too much. I even sold my 486 computer.
I am much happier now. I got a computer with a millions of ROMs, emulators and just a couple of USB controllers. I thought I would miss the experience of using a console or the old DOS machine but I don't.
Only thing I have left is a couple of DOS games boxes Wolf, Doom, Keen, etc.