[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 71 KB, 640x450, 640px-Copertina_PAL_Majora's_Mask.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4041071 No.4041071 [Reply] [Original]

What does /vr/ think of Majora's Mask?

It's my favourite game, I have it since 12, and still have my file. I was thinking about disassembling the cartridge to change the battery while game working to keep my file with me...

>> No.4041085
File: 155 KB, 1000x500, legend_of_zelda-majoras_mask_orchestratrions_inlay3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never had a save from a N64 cart erased, only happened to me with a couple Gameboy and SNES games.
MM is pretty great, my favorite part was the whole Mikau/Indigo-go's part where you get to jam with the bassist and stuff, more games need that kind of "band simulation". The keyboardist/band leader was bad ass.
I was disappointed I couldn't perform for the Zoras on the stage in the Zora place, but there was the rehearsal on the milk bar at least, I also loved the nod to Link's Awakening with the Lullaby of the Wind Fish (although it's not really similar to the original)

>> No.4041263

>>4041085

OP here.

Nice part indeed. Thanks for your message. That scan is from Majora's Mask Orchestrations, I have that CD, listened to It for ages.

Greetings

>> No.4041346

>>4041071
MM is the great it has only one shitty dungeon and the best part is commanding those skellys

>> No.4041490

It's good but I feel like creepy pasta fanatics and just flat out OOT Contrarians have tried too hard to elevate it's status.

Personally I think the dungeons are too long and not fun to play through. Everything else about the game is fantastic though.

>> No.4041582

I love it. One of my all time favorite games.

One thing I think is often overlooked is how fun it can be to just move around. Deku, goron and zora forms are all just so enjoyable to control.

Regular Link is fine too, but I love the transformations. Especially the deku, for some reason that one was always my favorite even if it's probably the least useful. Just the way he controls is so enjoyable, wether it's spinning or flying or bouncing on water, or even just walking around.

I think MM has the best movement controls of any game on the N64 other than Mario, and maybe some racing games.

>> No.4041621

>>4041582
>One thing I think is often overlooked is how fun it can be to just move around. Deku, goron and zora forms are all just so enjoyable to control

>tfw they fucked up Zora Link in the 3DS remake

I can forgive every other change made to the game but christ almighty why

>> No.4041631

>>4041490
I think the dungeons are flaccid, not long. They're all so forgettable, except Great Bay Dungeon.

>> No.4041645

I like Majora's Mask but I agree that the dungeon's weren't nearly as interesting as they could have been, in that I am sort of having a hard time remembering them at all. I think it's a fantastic game, but in terms of Zelda games I put it somewhere in the middle personally. It just didn't hit me quite like Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time did.

>> No.4041680

>rent it for a weekend
>100% or almost
>rent it next week it so I can finish it
>save deleted
>both saves are at starting area no masks no ocarina still deku

I still remember that time I went to a flea market a few blocks from my house and I found a copy being sold by a lady but I didn't had enough money with me so I rushed home and when I came back it was gone.

>> No.4041681

OP here. Can't believe there's not any verbal aggresion. Thank you very much.

Normally I dont give any attention to remakes. I'm afraid of the Majora's Mask remake. Maybe in other time Ill take It.

I really enjoy all the dungeons and the music. I feel them all so mystic and strange.

I find this game similar to classic stories like Alice in Wonderland or Spirited Away. Always liked this dream-like theme when they are mysterious and eerie in some way, that's way Majora's Mask is the game of my life and always have been disappointed with the newer Zelda games. Recently I discovered Megami Tensei franchise, and I find on It a perfect substitute to my beloved dream world.

>> No.4041693

>>4041071
I like it, but it's very, very far from being my favourite Zelda. I just feel the 2D entries are stronger in every way.

I really like the atmosphere of this game, the dread and the impending doom... but it all goes to hell the minute there's a racing minigame, or Tingle shows up, or some absurd/childish thing happens (what's up with those aliens and cows?). The game tries its best to set up a terrifying atmosphere and then it gets cheesy. There's such a contrast between the moment you get turned into a Deku and feel powerless and scared and then playing racing minigames... it's my major complaint about this game.

I wasn't too fond of the sidequests either, and I wish there had been more dungeons. The time mechanic didn't add much to the game in terms of difficulty, it was just an annoyance and the novelty of it disappeared after the first 5 hours.

>> No.4041726
File: 66 KB, 482x358, majorasmasktwinmold.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4041631
I liked Great Bay (Many people don't like it, water temple stigma?) but I think Stone Temple is really one of the greatest dungeons in Zelda, it's crazy.
Woodfall temple is okay, I like the bosses and the overall atmosphere, never cared for Snowhead.

>> No.4041805

I recently picked this up for 3DS and I'm having a tough time getting into it. Maybe I just don't understand the time change mechanic. I got through the first dungeon just fine but I don't really understand how the time changing works. How often will I have to go back? I feel constantly rushed and Im nervous if I keep playing Ill keep having to redo everything. And since this game seems side quest heavy I dont know what to prioritize.

TL DR, first time player having trouble with my approach. Any tips?

>> No.4041820

>>4041726
Stonehead had the one with the enemy that rolled around right? Don't criticize me for this but playing that boss for the first time reminded me of Dark Souls a lot.

>> No.4041851

>>4041726

Stone temple fucking sucked. Gravity Gimmick was awful, and so was having to play that stupid Song over and over again to leave behind statues.

>> No.4041857

>>4041805
once you finish a side quest it should get recorded in your notebook, you won't have to worry about it again.

>> No.4041859

What's the best way to play Majora's Mask today?

>> No.4041935

>>4041805
Play each note in the Song of Time twice in a row.
Doubles your time in each cycle. Play SoT again normally to restore it to normal I think.

>> No.4041938

>>4041935

I thought that was to jump ahead in time?
Playing it backwards was what slows time down.

>> No.4042081

>>4041859

Aside of having original game and console, Id say Wii VC.

>> No.4042272

I think it was pretty good for a full price pre-internet OoT dlc.

>> No.4042598

>>4042272

>pre-internet dlc

You mean expansion, don't you? I like how now we are absolutely so used to internet that we need re-define old concepts with new language.

Well, Zelda Gaiden was meant to be an expansion so that's not unaccurate.

>> No.4042735

>>4041071
Excellent. Wii VC version or 3DS port are the only viable ways to play desu.

>> No.4042770

>>4042735
Or how about this: playing it on the N64..

>> No.4042813

I liked it but it could do without all the bullshit parts that only served as padding. Being able to bomb your way to the beach with the goron and the 4th day glitch really make the game less annoying.

Also overworld music had really grating arrangement.

>> No.4042881

Mm doesn't use a sAve battery. It uses flash memory for the save file.

>> No.4042894

>>4041859
the 3ds version is alright and has an in-game guide/hint if you get lost or don't know what to do next

>> No.4042896

>>4041851
>>4041726
Stone Tower Temple is the best dungeon if you don't count the Stone Tower as part of it.

>> No.4042902

It has my favorite soundtrack of any Zelda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qySJQjIdE

>> No.4043038

>>4041621
That's exactly the point I dropped the 3DS remake.

>> No.4043045

The game would be good if it wasn't so keen on wasting the player's time.

The entire game is designed around having the player re-do the same trivial tasks OVER and OVER

>let's make an add-on to Ocarina of Time
>no wait, let's call it a full game so we can sell it for that price
>b-b-but we only have 4 dungeons!
>it's okay, let's just add filler and have the player re-do everyting a 100 times to pretend the game is long

also

>Zora
>enjoyable to control

The Zora plays like a shitty early 3D beat em up. It reminds me of The Crow, that's how bad it is. The devs clearly knew this too because instead of having actual challenge in the Zora dungeon, they just put enemies and traps which are not a threat, but instead of designed to be annoying, making things even worse.

>> No.4043058

>>4043045
You don't really need to re-do stuff if you know what you're doing.
And the only things you lose when you travel back in time is rupees (which can be saved in the bank, anyway), and refillable items.
Also, I think when people talk about Zora controls, they mean the swimming. Anyway you're exaggerating at comparing it with fucking The Crow.

You better keep yourself at shitposting on Resident Evil threads.

>> No.4043070

>>4043058
>tfw bank has retarded low maximum account size
Thanks for reminding me anon. Just kill me now.

>> No.4043080

>>4043058
> if you know what you're doing.

Spoiler : Unless you use a guide you're not supposed to know, and even then the game still has several instances of things you have to redo, and that's without mentionning that the game punishes you for saving as well.

>> No.4043114

>>4043080
Get good, or better yet, stop posting.

>> No.4043146

>>4043114
I second this post

>> No.4043161

>>4041859
Wii/Wii U VC and 3DS are all good options. 3DS version introduces a lot of convenient QoL stuff like the bank location being right behind the clock tower, owl statues flat out saving instead of just giving you a save state, song of double time allowing you to go forward to any hour you need... there's a bit more, but some say these changes, along with the color palette and new models alter the atmosphere too much for their liking. I like both versions, personally, so pick whatever sounds best.

>> No.4043224

>>4041859
Emulation if you don't have an n64. The 3ds version is okay until you get to twinmold.

>> No.4043307

>>4042770
He said play it, not spend a couple weeks' food budget on it.

>> No.4043316

>>4041631
Of the 4 dungeons I really only feel that the second is in any way weak. I just can't remember much about it other than it was basically the ice cavern but longer.

I don't know how you can say that the Stone Temple Tower is flaccid though. I think it's the best dungeon in the game. Something about falling into the sky is so much scarier than falling into a pit.

>> No.4043362

>>4043080
That's actually a good point. For example you might realize you have to do something and then have to use the song of time to go back to day 1 because you realize you won't have much time to complete. In your case you've realized there are day-sensitive events that would require you to restart. What are some prime examples you can think of though? Also next time don't shitpost please.

>> No.4043365

>>4043307
how is the Wii version the best way to play it? How is the 3ds even the best way?

>> No.4043376

>>4043316
I like when the temple turns upside down and you have to play it differently, but for me it felt like a chore going through it twice. I don't think it adds anything to the dungeon. It's just cool that it does that.

>> No.4045152

>>4041490
>I feel like creepy pasta fanatics and just flat out OOT Contrarians have tried too hard to elevate it's status.

This. It's such a great game that's been poorly misunderstood recently. So much of the game ignored just to hash out the "uber edgy" meme by hipsters. It's more melancholic and abstract than anything. Sometimes it's just nice to just focus on exploring Termina itself whether it is for the people or the exotic areas.

>> No.4045162
File: 1.89 MB, 3072x4096, IMG_20170607_091911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4041071
Never played it but I took this holo label off a cart I found at a garage sale. No idea if the cart works but it probably does, I don't have an N64 to test it.

I keep this on the back of my phone case and bitches love it.

>> No.4045334

>>4045162
So the cart has no sticker basically. What a waste.

>> No.4045337

>>4045152
That's the Zelda fandom for you, they're so desperate to be taken seriously that they try to make every game look way darker than they actually hare.

>> No.4045339
File: 6 KB, 320x288, youreterrible.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4045162
Legitimately triggered.

>> No.4045354

>>4041071
Easily my favorite Zelda, and one of my favorite games of all time. Best dungeons, best overworld/environments, best level themes, best sidequests (Anju Kafei is the greatest of all time), best music, best atmosphere and dark themes, coolest game mechanics (masks, transformation into different creatures, Groundhog's Day 3-day cycle, every NPC has a cycle making them feel truly alive and real), best characters, best graphics for both systems it released on (n64, 3ds), just an amazing game.

I highly recommend the 3ds version by the way. Citra emu runs it perfect aside from minor sfx problems where some fx have a lower tone, but it may have been fixed by now, or at least it surely will be fixed. Or, of course, play on 3ds, which is max comfy. I know 3ds isn't /vr/, but the 3ds version is simply better in every way, so I feel I need to recommend it.

>> No.4045356

>>4045337
what.. those are just little kids that care about creepypasta stuff.

>> No.4045404

>>4045339
>>4045334
he probably only has the sticker and is baiting.
>I keep this on the back of my phone case and bitches love it.
Too obvious.

>> No.4045416

>>4043080
Don't get mad, git gud. Every part of MM is intuitive and every puzzle has all the clues you need, any mistakes made that require going back in time to redo are YOUR fault for not being clever enough or not managing time shrewdly enough.

If there's anything to be mad it, it's having to wait a couple minutes sometimes for an event to happen, which is EXACTLY why I recommend the 3ds version, whose song of double time lets you skip ahead to ANY hour, eliminating ALL waiting. Which, I'll digress, is just another reason I can't understand anyone choosing to play the original version over the remake, especially when Citra emu eliminates the need to actually own a 3ds.

>> No.4045441

>>4045404
I would take a pic of the naked cart but it's in a box in the basement somewhere with all the other retro shit I bought but don't have a use for.

Eventually I might glue it back on and sell it to some young hipster dumbass who will likely pay over 200 bucks for it.

>> No.4045445

>>4045441
Wow you're going to sell the rare masterpiece MM? I'll buy it off you for 300!

>> No.4045449

>>4043038
Same here. Still not sure why they nerfed swimming. It was so fun in the original.

>> No.4045450

>>4041071
All the dungeons are a pain in the ass

>> No.4045457

>>4045416
>YOUR fault

Yeah, it's my fault if there are several events at the same time.
It's also my fault when killing a boss unlocks an area, but which requires power ups acquired with the next boss, thus making you refight taht previous when you get the next power up.
Several times.

It's also my fault that the first skulltulla mini game is available up front, but to complete it 100% you need items acquired later on. Thus having to re-do it all front the start.
It's also my fault that for the 2nd skulltulla game, you only get a reward on the first day, even though it's impossible on a first playthrough to get there for the first time on a first day, with absolutely no clue about that reward, reward which you NEED for other stuff.

Also a sidequest which requires you to do things in several ways half way through, thus making you have to redo the first parts again.

etc etc etc the entire game is built on wasting the player's time and having him re-do trivial tasks

>> No.4045460

>>4045445
"eventually" as in sometime in the future and not any time soon.

>> No.4045464

>>4045457
NESfag, stop posting dude.

>> No.4045738

>>4045450
My first instinct is to say they're all too hard for you, since MM requires a level of logic, spatial reasoning, and thinking outside the box in its dungeons that no other Zelda requires, ramping up throughout the game and with Stone Tower being the most amazing, befuddling maze of puzzles and logic in any game. For me (and many), MM has the BEST dungeons of the whole series.

>> No.4046285

>>4045464
I'm starting to believe this isn't him. This isn't his writing style.

>> No.4046308

Dungeons are among the best in the series, especially the last two. Great visuals, love the OOT on shrooms aesthetic at points.

The paths to the dungeons all have their moments (Ikana Castle, pirate base), but most of them feel long and padded. The road to Stone Tower especially.

>> No.4046350

>>4043365
Wii VC is good because the game renders at a native 640x480p, compared to the original 320x240p. So you've got 4x the resolution and clarity. The N64 version has two blur filters. One from the N64 hardware and one from the game. The Wii VC version has no blur filters. The Wii can output YPbPr without any modding. The N64 can only output S-Video without modding. Also the GameCube controller is much more ergonomic than the N64 controller.

>> No.4047045

it feels like a bad rom hack.

>> No.4047069

>>4047045
that's shitty to just throw that out there like that, let me clear it up.

the weird stuff they tried to do in Majora's Mask feels like it never worked. whenever i play the game, it really feels like they made it in a year and it was supposed to come out on the DD. the menus were not built to support fast mask switching, but they want you to switch the masks all the time because of all the experimental different things they put in the game that require you to use the mask.

It's this crazy thing that was knocked out in a year and it's fine if people want to like it, but the game really has its issues. It feels like an Ocarina of Time rom hack where a bunch of assets from Ocarina of Time were used to make this really kind of crazy creative thing but it just doesn't really work more often than not. It's a weird crazy thing that feels like Shenmue meets Zelda and it just has not aged well.

Also it's kind of a shame because I think a big thing that holds Zelda back is that, until Breath of the Wild, they had basically just repeated the Ocarina of Time formula and Majora's Mask was their attempt to step outside of that box and it just got fucked up every step of the way.

Also the logistical issues are solved to a degree in the 3DS version, but the way the story is told and the time stuff felt horribly done and incredibly tedious. The sub screen definitely knocks some of the steam off, however.

Also people bring up that in Ocarina it's a pain in the ass to equip and unequip the iron boots, which it is, but that's only one part of the game. Majora's Mask feels like a whole game with the iron boots and a bunch of mini games and side quests that just feel tedious.

If I had to review the game and keep an open mind, I definitely wouldn't give it anything below a 7.

If it's just my opinion off the record, I have about as much desire to play Majora's Mask as the CD-i Zeldas.

>> No.4047140

used to play this game like crazy. Got into speedrunning it eventually and sucked at it. I think Zelda Gaiden was a pretty good first name for it, as it is completely just a side story, but I think that's what makes me like it even more. I like the idea of link saving the world not for a princess or anything, just because you're sorta in the area and that's what link does.

>> No.4047145 [DELETED] 

>>4047069
I have to agree. While Majora's Mask did innovate with the time-based system, heavy sidequests and heavy NPC influence, it borrowed way too much from Ocarina of Time to establish it's own identity.

I understand it's a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, but it really does feel like a rom hack (albeit a great one). The game is amazing for what it is, but fails to differentiate itself from OoT in most aspects.

>> No.4047154

>>4047069
I have to agree. While Majora's Mask did innovate with the three-day system, radically different gameplay offered by transformation masks, heavy NPC shedules and influence, it borrowed way too much from Ocarina of Time to establish it's own identity.

I understand it's a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, but it really does feel like a rom hack (albeit a great one). Wind Waker is also a sequel to Ocarina of Time, but is completely different.

Majora's Mask is great for what it is, but fails to differentiate itself from OoT in most aspects.

>> No.4047415

>>4047069
You can personally not like a game but acknowledge it's a good game, that's fine. I think part of your dislike comes from you having a big problem with the reused assets, and how it made you feel like the game was hacked together by a team of crude hobbyists. I don't feel that way at all, but if you do, I can understand part of your dislike. Simply put, the only way MM could get made in it's allotted time before the next gen was through reuse, and I personally think MM's dev time, VS the quality of the resulting game, makes for one of the most impressive development stories of all time.

>> No.4047454

Calling MM a "romhack" is a bit too condescending, Master Quest is more like what a proper "romhack" would be, Majora's Mask's only reused assets are Link's child form and most NPCs, but the entire game location is completely new, assets, design, everything. ROMhacks usually take an original game, use every assets in the game, and re-arrange them (like Master Quest), Majora's Mask is more like Castlevania III, sure trevor's sprite looks a lot like Simon, but there are new characters, all new levels, all new bosses.

>> No.4047736

>>4047415
it's more so that the reused assets contribute to the overall cheapness of how the game feels to me. i have much more problems with the logistics, the poor the storytelling and the overall tediousness of the game.

i think this is a big problem overall with like the old school Gamespot reviews and the IGN five point system of reviewing a game because i really don't think Majora's Mask is a good game and I have such a difficult time separating my time playing it from what I think of it but I don't just want to shit on it, you know? this sounds like hyperbole but if you sat me down and asked me to make a list of the top 10 main Zelda games in order, I would have Majora's down there with the CD-i games. The weird stuff it did just does not track in any way, where as I'm more inclined to agree with >>4047154 where as I felt like Wind Waker was a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time that tried a bunch of weird stuff and it worked, which is a big reason why it's my favorite 3D Zelda game.

>>4047454
I think it feels like a rom hack. You're right in saying that Master Quest would be the 1:1 actual Zelda 'romhack' though.

>> No.4047739

>>4047736
*the poor storytelling

the time sensitive nature of the game and the big focus on side quests and minigames put up a huge wall for me in terms of getting involved in the story.

>> No.4047740

>>4047415
all my posts are a mess but i had to get one more thing in there: you're not wrong. it's pretty nuts they made the game as fast as they did and it doesn't just flat out crash the second you boot it up.

>> No.4047813

>>4047454
>MM is to OoT as CV3 is to CV1
That's genius, I'm going to think of it like that from now on. You nailed it.

>>4046308
The areas leading to the dungeons are actually as packed with content as the dungeons. The Ikana area actually has full-on mini dungeons, there's the spider houses, the Goron area in the winter is a puzzle area with spring water and eye of truth, and in the spring has racing, the gilded sword, the powder keg run, and other sidequests. Hence why I don't understand the "4" dungeons argument being thrown at the game, since there's mini-dungeons and large areas of content to fill in.

>>4047740
Nah, they aren't. I disagree with you but your points are all valid, some people just don't dig what MM is trying to offer.

>> No.4048337

>>4045356

Nope, there's plenty of older people that still think Twilight Princess is somehow a dark game for reasons I can't even begin to imagine.

Don't get me started on how they try to overplay how dark Majora's Mask is.

They're also pretty quick to dismiss OOT' as light hearted even though by their fucking standards the game should be equaly as "dark" as MM.

I(t's not just kids, it's adults that think Zelda is like the fucking sophisticated golden literature of gaming. It's my fave series but I seriously can't stand the pedestal some fans put these games on sometimes.

>> No.4048551

>>4048337

OoT is the most grimdark Zelda in the series and probably the one with most depth. Because unwittingly or not the protags are responsible for the way Hyrule turned out. In MM everyone just dies, no one has to live with the consequences.

>> No.4048681

>>4048551

And that's only scratching the surface. People affected by Ganondirf in OOT suffered. There's a really sad story of a man dying in the woods without getting the chance to make amends with his family, there's a really creepy implication that Hyrule's Royal Family have some horrifying secrets buried in the Shadow temple

But MM fans want to be reductive about the story of OOT because they don't like not being in 1st place.

>> No.4048946 [DELETED] 

>>4041071
> fifth generation
> retro games
Get the fuck out.

>> No.4049863

>>4048551
>>4048681
Wow dude, you're fucking kidding me.
OoT (a good game, despite what I'll say)
>Cliche ebil goblin pig monster man
>Link help he's after the mcguffin
>You need the 3 mcguffins to go get the master sword
>time travel, actually quite interesting, pig goblin demon fucker gets big mcguffin
>o no world of ebil
>redeads in town actually fucking scary
>Ganon left the entire barren Hyrule field, and Kakariko, alone... And has been slow on his plans for 7 yrs... What an accommodating man
>5 more mcguffin ppl to face him, bc game is actually just a series of dungeons with barely anything between
>One dimensional NPCs occasionally offer you the blandest sidequests ever
>Fight Ganon
>HERO OF TIME ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU YOU THE BEST THE END HAPPILY EVER AFTER

MM (a better game)
>Kid has been corrupted by mask of evil (not the most original but it werks)
>steals your shit, turns you into a Deku
>...using the soul of a deku he murdered, whose dad you can find later, and who finds and mourns his son at the end
>All your 3 transformation masks are from dead ppl Majora killed
>Moon is crashing in 3 days to kill everyone, can see ppl panicking more and more
>Everyone is also suffering for other reasons, a monkey is getting executed, a little ranch girl gets abducted and loses all her cows to aliens, zora has lost her eggs, gorons are freezing to death while the elder's son cries, little girl locks her dad in the closet bc he's becoming a zombie, Ikana is regretful dead ppl you have to heal, Majora completely fucks up Kafei Anju wedding and when you help them, you see them marry an hour before the moon falls
>darkest music, atmosphere

You're just wrong kiddo

>> No.4049990

>>4049863

And here we see a classic case of "Let me be as reductive as possible when describing OOT because it triggers me when people act like it's equal to MM"

>> No.4050016

>>4049990
No, OoT has a very basic storyline. It is laughable in comparison to other RPGs, but for its time, the time travel (basic as it is) was really cool. But the NPCs are all basic, and Ganon has left entire regions free of ebil. I wouldn't put this basicness AGAINST OoT, it does a lot more than, say, LttP did, and it was a pioneer, but MM is king for story and atmosphere, as far as Zelda series goes. They're both good games, quit getting butthurt that MM does something better than your precious OoT.