Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 344 KB, 500x358, 1442461388640.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4034379 No.4034379 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I don't see why people are so touchy about playing fighting games in single player. If you go online the skill levels are all over the map. How can you say you are good at the game if you have no baseline to compare to? That's why fighting the AI is great. If you put it on medium everyone around the world who plays on that setting is going against the exact same algorithms so it provides a good standard to measure from. If you say "I beat Street Fighter Alpha 2 on medium" everyone who has played it will know what that means and how hard it was. But if you said "I beat xXxSephiGoku42069" that means absolutely nothing. To me it's far more impressive to say you 1cc'd a fighting game on very hard than to be at the top of some leader board because there's no way to know how good your online opponents were. At least on very hard you accomplished something because you defeated the game the way the developers have planned for you to.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned because I grew up playing the AI in SF and MK on SNES as a kid but I get more satisfaction with playing the games that way than against real people. You can say the AI doesn't behavior like a real person would and is easier to exploit, and while that may be true, a large part of the victory comes from knowing how your character controls, being able to get your moves out with the right timing, and knowing the other guy's moves so there's still skill involved in overcoming that.

>> No.4034387
File: 297 KB, 1280x1024, sfa25wysn9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4034387

I beat the survival mode in SFA2 for Saturn a few times. it isn't easy, the AI goes crazy on the last 4 or 5 matches, and if you lose it's back to the beginning.

>> No.4034398
File: 47 KB, 508x524, 1496373948104.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4034398

>playing the CPU in fighters
For what purpose? The CPU is input reading, the fights aren't anything like a real match would play like. You're just looking for cheap patterns so you can get the CPU stuck in a loop.

>> No.4034405

>>4034379
>Maybe I'm just old fashioned because I grew up playing the AI in SF and MK on SNES
At least it's not the Arcade Mortal Kombat AI. Probably the cheapest most unfun AI ever conceived.

>> No.4034410

>>4034379
the cpu cheats like a motherfucker ive raged hard more than i should have at this shit

>> No.4034428 [DELETED] 

>>4034398
>frogfaggot thinking his opinion means anything

>> No.4034443

>>4034428
That's the opinion of the entire community, kid. Do you want me to post an anime loli reaction instead, would that make you happy?

>> No.4034448

>>4034443
He made a valid point, though, no one cares about your opinion on how others waste their time. Just don't go thinking your hot shit at these games just because you could beat the CPU on level 8.

>> No.4034454

Single Player content actually gets in the way of competitive play by locking characters under unlock requirements and wasting roster slots with AI-only overpowered boss characters. Fighting games would be better in general off without them.

>> No.4034474

>>4034443
please do, thank you

>> No.4034481
File: 56 KB, 579x567, Gt+implying+that+lolis+are+trash+loli+is+for+hug+_b5d49e56087a674927b32ea54a9b4cf4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4034481

>>4034474
Oneechan, don't play fighters in single player mode, you fucking faggot.

>> No.4034493

>>4034379
Playing online is stimulating, the game feels more alive when going against others.

>> No.4034498

I've only been playing obscure fighters on singleplayer level 7 since my PS3 got banned months ago. It's pretty fun.

>> No.4034510

>>4034398
Look to some extent, almost ALL faitan have input reads and input steals to some extent, it's kinda of a necessiry evil, but it's because of classic Mk and MK9, snk bosses and legit bad faitans That it has gotten such a bad name.

But that's because of lousy or flat out shit programming and misguided to poor development planning (the whole quarter eater is a problem that results from this)

>> No.4034524

I would prefer to just play a beat-em-up with fighter inputs, like Denjin Makai 2, Battle Circuit, or Guardian Heroes.
and even those games are still better off multiplayer

>> No.4034528
File: 132 KB, 640x480, snapshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4034528

>>4034510
>snk bosses
That's highly exaggerated too, only KOF 95 Rugal, AoF2 Geese and 2001 Igniz are truly a problem. The rest shouldn't cost you more than a credit or two.

>> No.4034532

>>4034524
Everything is better with other people.
There's a beat'em up called big fight: big trouble in the atlantic ocean with both cooperative and sf2 vs modes. Lots of fun.

>> No.4034620

>>4034528
>Who is KOF 96 Goenitz
>Who is KOF 2k2 Rugal.

>> No.4034632

>>4034620
>>Who is KOF 2k2 Rugal.
Easiest interation of Rugal, by far.
Why not name his 98 version too, that was actually harder.

>> No.4034634

>>4034620
>>Who is KOF 96 Goenitz
Glorified Tutorial on how to do dodges :D

>> No.4034640

>>4034620
Here's the thing, KoF starting with 99 would give you Service Mode bonuses upon using a continue, they are difficult games to 1cc but easy as crap to 2cc if you take the 1/3 Health Drain service mode.
>2002 Rugal
You think that was hard? I'm shocked.
Unlocking the secret bonus fight against Kula was actually a lot harder to pull off.

>> No.4034643

>>4034640
I think he's talking about UM Rugal.

>> No.4034647

>>4034640
>If you fight through ''Team Play'' or ''Single Play'' Modes without losing a single round or get a perfect win in at least two rounds against every team, at Stage 6 you will fight Kula Diamond. If only lose one or two rounds against a few teams, you will fight K9999. If lose at least one round and do not get any perfect wins against any team, you will fight Angel.
Scratch that, fighting Kula is actually not very hard either.

Also fun fact if you beat Rugal without using a credit you get a slightly different ending.

>> No.4034650

Goenitz is a bit of a bitch on Level 8, though, he techs every throw and counters every dodge.
Fair enough, he's pretty hard.

>> No.4034676

>>4034448
he never said he was, jeez. why don't you give us a nice blog post on how great *you* are at these games? I'm sure we all wanna hear it.

>> No.4034679

>>4034398
>The CPU is input reading,
Only in rubbish games like the MK series.

>> No.4034691

>>4034679
It's in every game, dude. How else do you think it would counter your jumps with antiairs?

>> No.4034693

>>4034676
>why don't you give us a nice blog post on how great *you* are at these games? I'm sure we all wanna hear it.
That's the point of esports, no? To improve every day better than the last.

>> No.4034695

>>4034676
Sounds like you're the one who misses the point of fighting games entirely.

>> No.4034715

>>4034398
>For what purpose?
for enjoyment

>> No.4034731

>>4034715
>I play for fun XD
Do whatever you want in your masturbatory seclusion then, just don't boast about it on the internet.

>> No.4034736

>>4034715
Except the games were not DESIGNED to be enjoyed that way. Also playing the CPU actually harms your ability to play against other players by teaching you bad habits.

>> No.4034738

>>4034736
So not only are you wasting you're time but your actually getting worse at the game.

>> No.4034801

>>4034736
who the fuck are you playing retro fighting games with that you need to worry about learning bad habits?

>> No.4034808

>>4034731
>explaining what purpose
>boasting

>> No.4034894

>>4034379
Because you will beat CPU even on hardest in a short period of time, cpu can't learn.

>> No.4034976

How about you just play it the way you like to play it and not give a shit what anyone else thinks?

>> No.4034978

>>4034379
I wouldn't say I'm touchy but I don't like hearing people say that a game is shit because it doesn't cater to a secondary appeal of the genre.

Fighting games are inherently competitive. There are two characters on screen and each one can be controlled by a player. That simple aspect should be the main draw of the genre so, while things like Soul Calibur's Mission Battle mode are exciting and worthy of investment, putting the skills you practiced with Maxi against anyone else should still be the prime appeal. You find new tactics or combos and want to see if they're enough to make you more dangerous.

>> No.4034982

/vr/ so bad at fighting games they think singleplayer is a measurement fo skill.

Its like im on an even more casual version of /v/

>> No.4034983

>>4034801
https://www.fightcade.com/

lots of people

>> No.4034987

>>4034983
This, pls play fatal fury special or karnov

>> No.4034993

>>4034801
if you go to tournaments for recent fighting games, you can guarantee you will find people who like retro fighters

and the will play all fuckin night with you and are very good

https://twitter.com/desmond_kof/status/868679599638630401

https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/868731136549281793

>> No.4035000

>>4034379
Your post is mostly talking about bragging rights, and seriously, if you want bragging rights why would you play a fighting game against CPU to begin with?
Play a Shmup, Platformer, (S)RPG, Beat'em up, RTS, Run and Gun, there's a whole lot of different singleplayer genres that you can git gud and brag about, fighting games are essentially a 2 player experience, the only reason to fight against CPU is to either: get to know the story of the game (which is optional) or get a general idea of how the gameplay works.

>> No.4035062

>>4034808
I'll reiterate, nobody is stopping you from playing the cpu and having fun, just don't think you're good at the game because you can beat level 8 bison

>> No.4035063

"I play for fun" faggots should be euthanized.

>> No.4035413

>>4035063

I play to be the 23,454,000 ranking Ryu fighter in the world should be thrown off a cliff

>> No.4035416

What are some fighting games where I can just beat up baddies in singleplayer without having to learn difficult mechanics, insane moves, etc.

>> No.4035428
File: 7 KB, 300x168, 2017-06-02-21-40-43-2128514568.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4035428

>>4034731
>>4034738
>>4035062

>> No.4035435

>>4034736
it is pretty fun tho

>> No.4035530

>>4034982
You ARE in a more casual version of /v/

>> No.4035538

>>4035435
Jerking off is more fun and a better use of your time than playing the CPU which actually makes you worse at games.

>> No.4035539

>>4035413
>>4035063
Both of you should be tapeglued to a chair and made to beat all action52 games .

>> No.4035543

>>4035416
Final Fight
Streets of Rage 2
They are fighting games as in you fight other people.

>> No.4035549

>>4035539
Still a better use of you're time than playing a Fighter in Single Player.

>> No.4035551

>>4035428
Salty much because someone called you out on your lack of skill? You're playing the games wrong, buddy. Sure Story Mode exists for casuals but they're not meant to be enjoyed that way. Beating the CPU takes NO SKILL. Deal with it or cry some more.

>> No.4035557
File: 7 KB, 256x256, _e5dW4ai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4035557

What's your fucking problem? Nobody is stopping you. Nobody cares you enjoy playing the CPU you pieces of shit. Just don't come here looking for approval when you're missing out on everything that makes these games good.

>> No.4035773

>>4035557
overdramatic lardasses and niggers?

>> No.4035784

>>4035773
I'm sorry some people actually take games seriously.

>> No.4036310

1. Why are fightanfags so bitter about everything?
2. Why would you give a shit about how other people choose to play a game?

>> No.4036319

I seriously doubt any of these "playing the CPU is wrong" faggots are actually any good at fighting games anyway. I know that one autist here who's always calling everyone "pleb cunt babby casuals" or some variant of that drivel has actually refused direct challenges on Fightcade, whining about it having too much lag and claiming he only plays in a "tournament setting" (i.e. absolute bullshit lying).

Anyone that isn't a colossal FGC meme spouting tard knows that you play against the computer while waiting for the next opponent to join on the other cabinet, anyway.

>> No.4036321

>>4036319
>I know that one autist here who's always calling everyone "pleb cunt babby casuals" or some variant of that drivel has actually refused direct challenges on Fightcade, whining about it having too much lag and claiming he only plays in a "tournament setting" (i.e. absolute bullshit lying).
LMAO that's fucking hilarious

>> No.4036324

>>4036319
>Anyone that isn't a colossal FGC meme spouting tard knows that you play against the computer while waiting for the next opponent to join on the other cabinet, anyway.
Aren't you better off playing Practice Mode in between matches?

>> No.4036329

>>4036324
If you can, sure. The place I go to has Nesica cabinets with Blazblue and Persona and the like where you can choose a training mode, but pretty much all older arcade fighting games don't offer a selection of modes.

>> No.4037021

>>4034379
>To me it's far more impressive to say you...

This is the core of your problem.

>> No.4037329

>>4034379

CPU are really only good for testing execution of combos/hit confirms and general knowledge of your characters. They will not teach you mind games, faking out your opponents, or how a character matchup should be. All CPUs read inputs and react inhumanly possible making what would be a good strategy vs a human bean fruitless against them. This isn't even considering that they cheat by doing 1 frame SPD, walking forward charge moves, or altering rules that apply to you but not them (comboing stuff normally not possible etc).

>> No.4038660
File: 2 KB, 48x97, Joe-moon1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038660

>>4036321
>>4036319
I'm one of the most vocal people about that for most of these threads, though never been asked to meet on fightcade. This sums it up though.>>4037329

It's not that there's anything really wrong with the CPU other than it's boring and doesn't make a great learning tool. If you're playing because you want to get into fighting other players then it's good for practicing execution but not much beyond that. And in my experience too much CPU play makes people worse against humans.

On the other hand if you just want to play single player, it's just not a very interesting genre so why waste your time in the first place.

More to the point, OP who makes most of these threads is mostly concerned about bragging rights "To me it's far more impressive to say you 1cc'd a fighting game on very hard than to be at the top of some leader board because there's no way to know how good your online opponents were" But almost no one else who plays these games cares about offline play.

>> No.4038697

I have fun doing both, really don't care about the spergs' lectures

>> No.4038712

1cc'ing fighters is not difficult at all, it's more time consuming since you have to reset the game if you lose a round. And I'm not even good at these games.

>> No.4038714

I wish I could make a Kage Bushin clone of myself so I could have unlimited matches against myself. Oh why can't Naruto be real?

>> No.4038737

>>4034379
I remember playing the AI on UMK3 on snes. I would set that shit to very easy, give me maximum handicap and attempt the novice tower. I would still get my ass whooped on the second or third fight and get stuck.

Shit was impossible. I was great at Killer Instict and SF too, so I know it wasnt just me.

>> No.4038745

>>4034379
>a large part of the victory comes from knowing how your character controls, being able to get your moves out with the right timing, and knowing the other guy's moves so there's still skill involved in overcoming that.

That's the bare basics of learning fighting games and what single player is good for. When people say it's good for practicing execution that's what they mean. It's when you start really playing that the difference between AI and real opponents is more apparent.

>> No.4038809
File: 302 KB, 954x538, 1456367634684.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038809

>>4034379
There are 3 kinds of fighting games in this world my friend. The one where playing arcade mode is fun because the gameplay flows, the AI is fun to play with. The one where the arcade mode totally stinks because the AI is a bitch that reads and counters your every input. And last but not least games like 3s that are pure competitive bliss to play against fellow humans.

What i am saying is, in 25 years of playing fighting games i never ever had the ambition of learning every single game hardcore so i could face the competitive world. Many fighting games are just for casual (arcade mode) fun. Since arcade fighting games are the epitome of a quick gaming fix in general.

>> No.4038823
File: 42 KB, 479x720, 1380697092809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038823

>>4035784

>> No.4038827

>>4035538
Different strokes for different folks.

>> No.4038852

>>4038809
>The one where playing arcade mode is fun because the gameplay flows, the AI is fun to play with. The one where the arcade mode totally stinks because the AI is a bitch that reads and counters your every input.

Can you give some examples of games you think fit these first two?

>> No.4038857

>>4034693
>esports
o i am laffin

>> No.4038858

>>4038852
Street Fighter II and King of Fighters

>> No.4038859
File: 81 KB, 640x360, snapshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038859

what is the game with the funnest survival modes and why is it SF Alpha 3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jCUy5MYKP0

>> No.4038863

>>4038858
SF2 has totally broken obsolete AI though
>get grabbed by Blank or Dhalsim and the CPU does a million nudges taking away half your life bar with a single throw

>> No.4038869
File: 245 KB, 304x200, rugal20050404074454835.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038869

>>4038858
KoF is generally a lot more bullshitty than SF2 so that's fair. I never found sp SFII much fun, but I find all these games boring against the computer.

>> No.4038884

>>4038869
>KoF is generally a lot more bullshitty than SF2 so that's fair.
Is it, really? I never had any trouble with SNK bosses.

>> No.4038886

Highly recommend you guys watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-HdNiPJMYg
>YOOO I CAN'T ANTI-AIR FUCK YOOOOOU
As you can see, as broken as the CPU is it's absolutely totally doable with a few tries.

>> No.4038890

>>4038884
In SF the "boss" characters are more closely balanced to the player ones so I think it's a fair statement if he's talking about them relative to each other.

>> No.4038897

>>4038890
Depends if you consider boxer, claw, sagat bosses.
Still, Super Turbo Akuma is more broken than anything SNK ever made.

>> No.4038902

>>4038886
I love the beginning to this
>LOOK, ONE MOVE
>TWO FUCKING MOVES!
>60% HEALTH, AND I'M DIZZY
>HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT

>> No.4038909 [DELETED] 

>>4038886
Main difference between CPU bosses and player matches is that you have unlimited tries but only need 1 win to watch the ending, consider the game beaten and move on. Meanwhile in a tourney ONE TRY against another player is all the opportunity you've got.

>> No.4038910

>>4038897
>Still, Super Turbo Akuma is more broken than anything SNK ever made.

lol

>> No.4038913

>>4038886 (You)
Main difference between CPU bosses and player matches is that against CPU you have unlimited tries but only need 1 win to watch the ending, consider the game beaten and move on. Meanwhile in a tourney setting you've got ONE TRY against another human player and that's all the opportunity you've ever got.

>> No.4038914

>>4038910
>>4038910
I'm obviously talking about the secret Shin Akuma match at the end and not playable Akuma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGgERboVsXM

>> No.4038915

>>4038913
I know who you were referring to.

>> No.4038921
File: 228 KB, 1000x563, 2015-06-13-15-29-45.Eminem.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038921

>>4038915

>> No.4038929
File: 79 KB, 640x480, Svccharaselect1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038929

>MFW half the roster are overpowered SNK boss characters
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

>> No.4038930
File: 245 KB, 240x180, KoF8fc_6058092.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038930

>>4038921

>> No.4038936

https://youtu.be/1jPHcuxpjiA

>> No.4038958
File: 93 KB, 854x480, snapshot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4038958

In this old chinese fighter if you beat the secret boss you got to enter your initials on a defunct website ranking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2He4x2qzF9M

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action