[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 106 KB, 604x453, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
403134 No.403134 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/

Have you ever played the very first version of street fighter? What was your opinion about it?

What was your first reaction when you saw SFII?

You were impressed by the good animation and the excellent gameplay?

What do you think about the conversions for consoles?

Do you like the Alpha and SFIII series?

Do you think that SSFIV really brings back the good 'ol feelings that the first street fighter games had?

Discuss classic street fighter games (and other things) here.

>> No.403172

the boat's upper deck has no rear railing

>> No.403275

I played Street Fighter once and didn't enjoy it.
I played every version of Street Fighter II and even competed in a few tourneys. I've never played Street Fighter III or Alpha. I played Street Fighter 4 for the first time this year.

Things aren't the same as they were 20 years ago and that's terrible.

>> No.403303

>>403275

if things didn't change, there'd be no incentive to make new games. that being said, i like 3rd strike better than ssfiv

>> No.403347

When I first played it, I thought Sagat was going to be the final boss again, like he was in the first game. So after many quarters lost I beta him, only to see this new guy throwing his cape off and kicking my ass in 10 seconds.

I will never have this sort of feeling again

>> No.403365

SFIII all day everyday.

>> No.403398

>>403134
>Have you ever played the very first version of street fighter? What was your opinion about it?

Yes. It was shit.

>What was your first reaction when you saw SFII?

"Ok, now that's more like it."

>What do you think about the conversions for consoles?

They weren't bad. At the very least, the SNES conversions were pretty solid.

>Do you like the Alpha and SFIII series?

Yes.

>Do you think that SSFIV really brings back the good 'ol feelings that the first street fighter games had?

No. It's fucking bad and Capcom should feel bad.

Yay, let's play that artificially difficult 1 frame link game where are the characters are bigfoots.

Or let's not, and play a real fucking fighting game instead.

SFxT is more of the same bullshit, with extra "features" that no one wanted.

SFV and DS4 (both of which Capcom claim to be working on currently) will be more of the same. Best thing they could do is just fucking stop and sell the licenses to companies that won't treat them like shit.

>> No.403458
File: 32 KB, 418x429, alex--article_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Have you ever played the very first version of street fighter? What was your opinion about it?
Yes. Gimmicky "graphics over gameplay" fighter that was inferior to Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

"This looks awesome! Mom, can I have a few quarters? I want to try this out"

>You were impressed by the good animation and the excellent gameplay?
Yes, but I kind of was more in awe how cool Blanka looked. In fact, I got so good at using him I could reach M. Bison with one quarter when I was only about 10/11 years old.

I thought the Sega Mega Drive version was the coolest thing, especially after having played the "Master Fighter 2" pirate famiclone chart before it. Still, having only access to a three button controller back then made me prefer the arcade version, even the vanilla one.

Can't go wrong with either SNES or the Mega Drive one, though I prefer the later because of its faster load times and speed.

Yes. Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast is amongst the greatest value for your buck fighters out there and I consider Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike to be the best game in the series.

>Do you think that SSFIV really brings back the good 'ol feelings that the first street fighter games had?
Not really, no. I feel it's a step back from SFIII, and I'm not completely sold on its aesthetics and musical style. It's far from a bad fighter however, but feels more like a continuation of the Alpha series than the logical step up. Also, horrible DLC and re-release practices, and most of the new characters are inconsistent with the time period it's supposed to represent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLrZoP9zj0

>> No.403481

Bump because this thread have potential.

>> No.403529

I though Sagat used to say "Tiger UP UR BUTT"

>> No.403545

I like SF2 and 3, but Alpha...I didn't like where it went. I can see why a lot of people got turned off to fighting games at around the point, given how fucking complicated the system in Alpha 3 could be.

SF3 was complicated, sure, but it's real mistake was not bringing back enough of the Street Fighter cast people had come to love and recognize. Hell they weren't even going to include Ken and Ryu at first.

>> No.403564

For those interested you can purchase the original version of SFII along with the totally useless remakes (champion edition,hyper fighting) from the AppStore. (Or download it from TPB...I don't care)

>inb4 capcom marketing department GTFO

>> No.403584

>>403564
>tfw no android version.

I really think that SF2 is the best game of the series.

Fuck street fighter IV.

>> No.403603

>>403545
That is because Alpha 3 is terrible, Alpha 2 is much better.

>> No.403618

>>403603
On the PS1 it is.
The Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 is second only to 3rd Strike, at least in my opinion.

>> No.403724

I almost forgot how bad the first SF game was.

Why capcom made a sequel of a game that was neither popular or good?

>> No.403860

>>403724
It might have been somewhat popular due to its graphics and sound which were above average for the time.
It might also have been considered short of a tech demo for the second game they released for the heck of it.

>> No.403893

>>403545
>it's real mistake was not bringing back enough of the Street Fighter cast people had come to love and recognize

Funny, SF2 removed the whole cast from the original SF excluding Ryu, Ken, and Sagat.

>> No.403920

>>403893
But SFII was better than SF in everything.

>> No.403937

My initial reaction to SFII was to touch the guy's ass who was playing ahead of me on the cab at the time for celebratory reasons.

>> No.404006
File: 451 KB, 2364x1834, 1353509959179.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I played Street Fighter 1 for the first time pretty recently at an arcade near me called Galloping Ghost. Its pretty awful. I've never really cared much for any of the street fighter games honestly. I've always preferred SNK fighters . I don't think 2/alpha/3/4 are terrible games or anything, just mediocre at least from the perspective of an snk fanboy.
I don't dislike capcom games altogether or anything. I really love a lot of them (megaman, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Three Wonders) i just don't care much for capcom's fighters.

>> No.404020

>>403937
>>>\lgbt/

>> No.404075

>>403618
I am talking from a gameplay standpoint, I don't give a shit about extra content if the game sucks. There's a reason why competitive A3 is dead and A2 at least still has tournaments in Japan.

>> No.404087

>>404020
>Fails at linking
>Doesn't into touching boypussy

New here? >>>/v/ should be more your level, son.

>> No.404152

>>404075
Well, the Dreamcast version also looks nicer, runs faster and balanced it a bit. And Japanese tourney play doesn't really have any effect of my personal enjoyment of the game. If I were a tourney gamer, I might hold a different opinion but as stands Alpha 3 DC is my favorite in the Alpha series and a vast upgrade over the 2nd one in every non tourney way you look at it.

>> No.404194

I've heard that the psx versions of SF alpha are missing features.

I still have my old psx and I know a guy who can sell me the discs but I don't know...I loved the alpha series in arcades and I don't want a shitty version

>> No.404221
File: 55 KB, 450x730, Vega_Street_Fighter_2_Turbo_Image1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It blew my mind as a kid. All of those creative looking characters were so cool to play as, I couldn't get enough.

Oh shit who do I play as? There's, like, eight guys here! I'll just be the big guy OH GOD WHY IS THIS BITCH RAPING ME!?

Thoroughly, and I played the SNES port first.

They were fine for me. Played mostly accurately and the sprites weren't too much smaller. Honestly as a kid I could barely tell the difference.

Yes to both, though Alpha 3 was wonky. I really liked Alpha 2 and I got pretty good at 3S.

I do but I also think they improved on a lot of the balancing and mechanics, especially considering the roster size. I don't understand people who nay-say the SF4 series. I feel like it's a step in the right direction.

Also Vega all day 'ere day.

>> No.404243

>>404152
It does look nicer and run faster than the PS1 version, but the proper place to play any fighting game is the Arcade.

>> No.404239

First saw it in it's natural habitat, the arcade. Love at first sight.

SSF4 does bring back a lot of the good feelings, yes. Its never gonna be a perfect replica of the feels and fun had, but it's a good replacement.

>> No.404240

>>404221
Oh wait scratch that first question. SF1 sucked hard. I thought you were talking World Warrior for some reason.

>> No.404260

>>404221
You only played as ryu in the first street fighter... if you'bve played it you'd know that

>> No.404294

>>404260
Already rectified
>>404240

>> No.404297
File: 11 KB, 267x280, 1346988483576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>404243
All the arcades near me are gone. So Dreamcast + arcade stick is the closest thing I have.

>> No.404315

>>404243
Ain't that the truth.
However, it's the year of our lord 20XX and the arcades have pretty much vanished from most of the world. (last proper arcade I had access to disappeared in 2005). Hell, even Japan is suffering these days.
It's also a question of how deep you want to go. I love Street Fighter and SNK fighting games, yet I don't love them so dearly that I want to dedicate a large chunk of my life to become a tourney player. That's why I cringe every time somebody says "this game is better because of tourneys" because the vast majority of fighting game fans don't even care about that and besides, tourney players always end up using just two or three characters anyway.

>> No.404359

I played Street Fighter 2 before I knew about tourneyfags. So pretty much every fighting game now is something I avoid....that and the fact I don't live near my brothers anymore, so I don't really have anyone to play them with. Playing fighting games in singleplayer sucks balls.

>> No.404402

>>404315
To be fair, the entire cast of A2 is viable, while A3 is rife with one-button infinites (match footage had to be edited short) and characters that 9-1 the lesser half of the cast. Even on a casual level the mechanics introduced such as air teching are very out of place, and the music is a joke compared to previous entries. All it has going for it is the size of its roster.

>> No.404448

>>404402
Dan's a joke character and Birdie's a gimmick, you can't say the whole cast works

>> No.404485

>>404402
Dreamcast version fixes some of the balance and infinite issues, I love having the variety in the mechanics and I disagree with you on the music (which is taste based). And like I've said, I don't give a rats ass about tourneys. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is broken as hell, yet it's a fucking fun game. So is Alpha 3. 2 as well, mind, just in a lesser way if you're not thinking like a somewhat autistic (they have to be) tourney player.

>> No.404528

>>404448
Many people plays as Dan just for the sake at winning with him.

>> No.404559

>>404402
The music was pretty bad in A3 but Karin and Vega deserve some credit at least compared to the rest of the game.

>> No.404589

I can't wrap my head around why the whole industry gave up on sprites for current gen, especially with 60fps and HD they could be huge and detailed and it could be so glorious. /end offtopic rant

>> No.404638

>>404589
High quality sprites take longer to animate than 3D models, and there are more 3D savvy artists and programers out there these days than 2D ones.
Also, for a 2D sprite you need a person who is good at both drawing and animating. With a 3D model, you need one person who's good at drawing and another that's good at animating/wearing a mocap suit, so workload can be shifted and time spared.

>> No.404651

>>404589
Time, money, and resources. It's much more cost-effective to develop a 3D model that you can animate in any position, as opposed to having to draw individual sprites for everything.

>> No.404713

>>404589
Those answers you've already been given, and also collision detection is supposed to be easier and more accurate with polys.

>> No.404723

>>404485
Nobody knows if it was better balanced since its arcade counterpart on the Noami board, Alpha 3 Upper, was never played. A3 was already dead and there wasn't enough interest.

>> No.404730

>>404723
whoops, *Naomi

>> No.404726

What's a tier list for SFII?

>> No.404738

>>404726
WW is Guile rapes everyone, after that it's Sagat rapes everyone. Super Turbo has a lot of variety though, apparently T. Hawk is top tier now.

>> No.404735

Don't forget about the graphic whores.

They would go mad if a new street fighter appears using sprites.

>> No.404745

>>404589
Not really the whole industry, stuff like BlazBlue is sprite based, isn't it? I could cite more examples, but that's pretty prominent already.f

>> No.404748
File: 22 KB, 300x385, 1345267311944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>404738

>T.Hawk is top tier now

That is some goddamn bullshit

>> No.404757

>>404748
he has an unstoppable throw loop with 6-button pianokey negative edge

>> No.404765

>>404757

I have got to see footage of this

I remember when he was regarded as much worse than gief (though apparently Akuma is something like 9-1 on Gief)

>> No.404767

>>404726
High:
RyuKen, Guile

Mid:
E Honda, Blanka, Chun-li

Low:
Dhalsim, Zangief (inb4 Zangief main'ers)

>> No.404774

I've never played SF1, but I absolutely adore SFII. My favourite versions bening Hyper Fighting and Super Turbo.

I've played a little bit of Alpha and SF3. I like alpha and I could probably get fairly good if I spent some time on it. I didn't like 3 too much though.

SF4 feels very different to 2. Compared to super turbo, it feels slow, and you have to practice these 1 or 2 frame links and it's a pain in the ass, and then there's the crappy online netcode. On the other hand with 2, I could just log onto GGPO or supercade, play some ST/HF and have a good time.

>> No.404785

>>404774

how the fuck is 4 slower than ST when you can't even dash in ST

also I'd be up to playing you in Alpha 2 on GGPO at some point

>> No.404812

>>404765
Look up Damdai Hawk on youtube, I'm on my phone right now. He's #1 in the US.

>> No.404816

>>404765
It wouldn't surprise me if Akuma was 9-1 on everyone.
Unless it's for shits and giggles you wouldn't pick akuma in super turbo because nobody would want to play with you.

>> No.404827

>>404816

That's true

>>404812

Watching it now; in the vid I'm watching it looks like Hawk fucking combo'd into his 360 at the end of the first round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IsPNmsV8hI

christ

>> No.404826

>>404816
claw and dictator can deal with him, the rest of the cast gets fucked though

>> No.404840

>>404785
>>404774
Do people here actually play GGPO? I'm totally up for that shit. Is it hard to setup and start playing?

>> No.404851

>>404827
It's because his throw has no whiff animation, so he can negative edge and receive a throw if the opponent doesn't reversal, while if they do he blocks instead.

>> No.404869
File: 211 KB, 318x318, Finding Match.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>404840

Not really.

You just need to mess with your networks ports for a bit, map your inputs in GGPOFBA and also put the roms in the rom directory there.

>> No.404918

>>404315

Tourney players use just about everybody. You can't win if you don't have any idea what your opponent is doing.

And what tournament players think matters, because they're the only ones who have any clue as to whether the game is put together correctly or not. You don't have to be a pro to do Gen's SSF4 corner infinite. The pros are the safeguard against that shit.

>> No.404914

>>404785
Sorry, I guess I should clarify.
I meant slower paced. This is because of all the moves doing less damage.

In regards to the dashing... well the dashing is necessary. It adds a nice depth to the game, but they had to compensate somehow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmBfShSgaHE

Also I can't use GGPO atm, my PC's dead and my fightstick's wire is starting to fail on me. Once those

>> No.404935

>>404589

You just answered your own question with the second half of your sentence.

If everybody is using different TVs then it makes absolutely no sense to make the game 2D. 3D supports every resolution.

>> No.404950

>>404914

I understand now

>> No.404941

>>404851

Ah, I see why he is top tier now

>> No.404945

>>404914
shit I accidentally submitted before finishing.

Once those problems are dealt with or when I can find a workaround I am all up for it.
You'd probably kick my ass at A2 though, I am pretty bad at it.

>> No.404960

>>404945

Literally just began playing Alpha 2 yesterday. Had a set with a guy from /vg/ on GGPO; I lost most of the matches because I never played it with a human before but I had lots of fun

>> No.404969

>>404918
>Gen corner infinite
you mean crane c.lk > c.lp against people who don't know how to block

>> No.404975

>>404713

Polygons aren't involved in SF4's hit detection.

>>404785

In ST, Bison can dizzy you in one combo, and then do another combo to kill you while you're dizzy. He can beat you in five seconds.

That said, if you play rushdown characters in AE, you can get a dizzy off in two combos with characters like Yun or Cammy.

>> No.404986

Why play street fighter when you could play Karnovs Revenge?

And to be on Topic? Am I the only one here who liked the EX games?

>> No.404990

>>404969

You can claim it's easy to block a ToD but the simple fact that it exists means that if you are in the corner then Gen has an immense advantage. If you're just sitting there blocking in case a ToD happens then the match is going to be 7:3 in Gen's favor no matter the character matchup.

Don't say an infinite doesn't matter, that's fucking stupid.

>> No.404998

>>404975

It's true that SF4 has less damage but I was thinking of movement speed

>>404986

Been thinking about trying it out

>> No.405004

>>404990
What the fuck are you talking about? Gen has no infinites.

>> No.405016

>>404998

It's not just damage.

What I'm trying to get at is that it's very possible for entirely unwinnable situations to happen.

There's also lots of situations where skillgap is apparent and the less skilled player will lose very fast, such as Dhalsim's slide -> grab in HF which required the victim to know how to piano in order to get out of it.

>> No.405024

>>405004

SSF4.

No, not AE.

SSF4. The second version of SF4.

>> No.405035
File: 56 KB, 640x480, [LIME]_His_And_Her_Circumstances_03.mkv_snapshot_10.39_[2013.03.22_19.58.35].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>405016

Ah. I had no clue ST contained such esoteric features...

>> No.405052

>>405024
Besides the new characters, what's the difference between SSFIV regular and the arcade edition?

>> No.405072

>>405024
The infinite you're talking about was a joke video, dumbass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0p0A_fe9E

>> No.405078

>>405052
DLC $$$ Joos

>> No.405082

>>404990
am I being tricked?

>> No.405095

>>405052

Balance changes.

Also, virtually everyone got a jab buff, meaning the jab is actually useful in combos for most characters. Since jab is generally the fastest normal this means you can just throw it out there, and if it lands then you can do a combo as a followup.

The game is overall much more aggressive.

>>405072

No it's not, tard, it's a real infinite.

>> No.405102

I like going back to SF2: Turbo on the SNES every now and then, but I'm really not as keen on SF2 as I used to be. I've been spoiled by Third Strike and the Alpha series.

>> No.405126
File: 1.46 MB, 855x738, 1354635588980.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>405095
>it's a real infinite.
>entire thing can be blocked low

>> No.405137

>>405126

Almost all infinites in fighting games, and almost all combos in general can be blocked, retard.

They're still infinites.

K, you don't know anything about fighting games.

>> No.405128

>>405095
Really?

As far as I know the same patch that was applied to the arcade edition is available in the regular version too.

And (at least in xbox) you can play against people using the regular edition while you play with the AE.

>> No.405149

>>405035
Here's my personal favourite feature of ST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dxUH1cM8s4
Someone did this to me on GGPO, and made me realise that I should just play honda against Zangief, no matter what.

>> No.405174

>>405149

Telekinesis makes martial arts tournaments unfair

>> No.405185

>>405128

If you do that, then neither player is playing AE. The game reverts back to Super for the other player.

>> No.405192

>>404986
EX games had the best soundtracks in the series. I haven't played them enough to really decide on whether they were good but it seemed like it revolved around poke to super to super to super.

>> No.405213

>>404990
Yes, everyone should know why Gen was banned in SSF4.

>> No.405235

>>405213

lol you scrub.

>> No.405241

>>405128
Yes, it's the same patch.
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Arcade_Edition_'Version_2012'_Patch
But consider this too.
>>405185

>> No.405271

>>405213
It's a ruseman, don't even bother.

>> No.405308

Why is ssf4 considered worst?
What did they screw up?

>> No.405349

>>405308
Vanilla and AE are probably tied for worst

>> No.405363

>>405349
Why? Especially explain why AE is so bad.

>> No.405375

>>404918
>Tourney players use just about everybody.
At the beginning when the game is released, yes.
But it always evolves into two, three characters almost everyone uses in high tier matches.

>You can't win if you don't have any idea what your opponent is doing.
No shit, same goes for casual play.

>And what tournament players think matters, because they're the only ones who have any clue as to whether the game is put together correctly or not.
As further update beta testers, sure. And:
>You don't have to be a pro to do Gen's SSF4 corner infinite
Contradicts that statement, I don't have to be a pro to abuse Gen, yet only Tourney fags know if that's broken or not? I'm not against Tourney fags and they're doing a great service. I'm just saying that majority of players don't care that much about that if the game is fun and not broken beyond playability.

>> No.405376

>>405363
Sagat dominated Vanilla, Yun dominated AE.

>> No.405384

>>403134
Have you ever played the very first version of street fighter? What was your opinion about it?
>Played part 1 in an arcade.(Mr.Arcade) Took a week to beat Mike. Then I could never beat the old man.
What was your first reaction when you saw SFII? I came in my pants.(even though I could not cumn yet) Spent many a quarter on that shit

You were impressed by the good animation and the excellent gameplay? Yes

What do you think about the conversions for consoles?
>The console versions were fucking great. The Genesis was fucking god tier.

Do you like the Alpha and SFIII series?
>Yeh. Those were probably the last SF games I
played o.d.

Do you think that SSFIV really brings back the good 'ol feelings that the first street fighter games had?
>Nope. Not a bad game, but not so great either

>Dat face when no arcades

>> No.405392

>>405213
Was he? I don't remember seeing anyone playing him, so if that was why.

>> No.405403

>>405376
Fuck, I remember Sagod. AE wasn't out for too long before it got the 2012 patch so I somehow avoided all of the good Yun players. He never really bothered me.

>> No.405418

Cannot be judged by the same standard as the other SF2 games. Guile is fucking overpowered.

"Why do people still play this game? We have new, better SF games and I'd rather play a 3D fighter or Smash Bros anyway."

I really wasn't. I came back to ST eventually, learned to play every character, and only then did I realize how fucking excellent the game was. WW I don't think I'm ever going to like.

Nothing to think about them except a lot of them were spectacular failures.

No, but the last game in either one was excellent and a lot of fun for me

Fuck no. HUGE step back.

>> No.405432

Which version of Alpha 2 is the best?
SFA2 (Euro 960229) or SFZ2A (Asia 960826)
I just started playing SFZ2A a couple days ago and I must say I love some of the extra stuff they put in there.

>> No.405463

>>405418
You are a huge faggot, you know that?

>> No.405493

>>405432
Euro always best

>> No.405509
File: 490 KB, 1000x1300, 1365452324510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>405463
It would give me great pleasure if, for once, such critics were capable of supporting their points, or at least conduct themselves with a modicum of dignity.

>> No.405529

>>405375

No, everyone gets used. The top 16 of every major tournament usually has 15 characters. Team based games reuse characters, of course, because every player picks multiple characters, but teams vary. You're matter of factly wrong.

And no there is no contradiction. Who do you think found the infinite? Tournament players figure a game out faster. Good or bad aspects of a game that would take you months to figure out would take a high level player a couple of hours. If tournament players think a game is shit then even casual play will typically show this.

>> No.405546

>>405509

You mean to act the opposite of what you're doing?

>> No.405553

>>405126

I think you're mixing up infinites with unblockables.

>> No.405610

>>405546
Disappointing.

>>405529
That's an exaggeration if you're talking about SF2.

ST is one of the most imbalanced fighting games that is still played in competition. Every single character has very strong and very weak matchups and has a counterpick, with Balrog (M. Bison in Japan) posing the biggest disruptive force in the game's delicate balance. It's a game of counterpicking, unlike the more recent Capcom fighters which have been a matter of overall power level and not of matchup spread.

>> No.405595

>>405418
>>405509

Biggest autistic faggot spawned from this board.

>>>/lgbt/

>> No.405598

>>405432
SFZ2A was made only a few months after SFZ2 and therefore got "rebalanced" based on a very immature metagame. As a result, it nerfs characters that really, really didn't need nerfing, such as Charlie, Adon and Birdie, while actually giving more power to already top-tier Ryu and Ken. SFZ2A Adon in particular is probably the weakest shit-tier character in any Street Fighter game, ever. Yes, weaker than any version of Dan. Weaker than Twelve and 3i Sean. Weaker than vanilla SF2 characters who aren't Guile or Dhalsim.

>> No.405654

>>405595
Heh.

>>405598
This is actually very insightful commentary. Did you get this knowledge empirically or is there a source?

>> No.405656

>No, everyone gets used. The top 16 of every major tournament usually has 15 characters.

Depends on the game. To name two widely-played games that are exceptionally unbalanced, MvC2 has ten characters who can even remotely be considered competitive, and more than half of those are only useful as assists; SFIII3i has about six, and all of them are longshots against Chun-Li.

>> No.405671

>>405654

Hello I am gay and I know nothing about video games, though I must say I am very insightful when it comes to playing with my own asshole and getting merked at street fighter tournaments.

My favorite character is M.Bison cause he's big and black.

>> No.405697

>>405656
Regarding 3S, the legendary Kuroda proposed that there are four distinct tiers. Chun-Li, characters that can beat Chun-Li, characters that can beat characters that can beat Chun-Li, and everyone else.

>> No.405709

>>405598
Interesting.
What's this "Immature Metagame" you speak of?

>> No.405725

>>405654
Entirely empirical. I can't provide sauce but I know for fact that Charlie, Adon and Birdie were very popular and dominant in the early Japanese SFZ2 metagame, before many of the CC tricks were discovered (or taught to the Japanese by American players in international tournaments). All three of these characters were severely nerfed in Z2A. Can't be coincidence.

>> No.405727

>>405697
Wat?

>> No.405730

>>405725

It can be a coincidence, you're just uneducated.

>> No.405861

>>403398
>SFV and DS4 (both of which Capcom claim to be working on currently) will be more of the same.
I just hope they make DS4 more like DS2. DS3 was like SFA3 in that it started to go off course and lose what was good about the previous games.

>> No.405873

>>404726
Depends on which version you're talking about.

>> No.405907

>>405709
The one where Birdie raped everyone with his touch of death.

>> No.405916

>>405730
Seems like a pretty strong correlation to me.

>> No.405934

SUPER STREET FIGHTER ULTIMATE TURBO HYPER ALPHA ZERO ULTRA SPECIAL ARCADE EDITION!

>> No.405957

>>405934
Come on, that joke's old. Capcom themselves did it back in 1996 with Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

>> No.405983

I don't get all this hate towards the alpha series, SFAII and SFAIII are the best street fighters ever.

>> No.406007

>>405983
Does it get as much hate as EX?

>> No.406016

>>405983
I don't get why all of a sudden so many people love SF3. It was a huge bomb when it came out.

>> No.406031
File: 42 KB, 338x449, 1365383292056.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>405957
What if he added v2012: The Movie to the end of it?

>>405983
Personally I think each of the series produced at least one incredible gem of a fighting game. Other than SF4 of course.

I don't think SFA2 and SFA3 are bad as much as they are unrefined compared to the other competitive SFs. I love V-ism, personally.

>> No.406068

How many Alfhedil Elf-Hewers are there in this thread, anyway?

>> No.406083

>>406016

I said Alpha 3, but i know what you mean, i remember a couple of years ago when cps3 emulation became possible everyone said it was useless because SFIII was shit and it had no more games. I really like it, just not as much as the Alpha series.

>> No.406091
File: 28 KB, 451x285, eliza.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Left: World Warrior
Right: Champion Editon

>> No.406095

>>406016
A lot of it had to do with disappearing arcades and the fact that a home version wasn't available until mid 2000 in the west (game was released in arcades early 1997) and on the Dreamcast.
For those who didn't have one, you'd had to wait until 2004 for a PS2 port, and too bad if you lived in Europe since that was US only. Xbox version got released in euroland, but nobody really owned one, and those scant few who did only played Ninja Gaiden and Halo on it.

>> No.406107

>>406016
There was a huge generation of fighting game players who came up way after sf3 was done and finished with in most player's minds. They've kinda "rediscovered" it in a sense.

3s is a pretty boring game unless you are watching it played at absolute highest level. It requires levels of autism and reactions that make high-level marvel look fairly doable in comparison.

>> No.406108

>>406091

>World Warrior Psycho Ken

>> No.406117

>>406016
3rd Strike bombed? It and ST are the only games people remember from the 90s at this point. The development team reported that they couldn't think of a way they could improve the series further after it came out.

I theorize that it's be the split between SFA2 and SFA3 that made the series lose favor to the numbered SFs.

>>406068
One rather polite Alf and I'm guessing one other vocal troglodyte. Such are the woes of those who refrain from irrelevant tripcode use.

>> No.406129

>>406091
Haha, is that real? I knew a lot of graphics were redrawn for CE but I didn't realize WW was quite that bad.

>> No.406138 [DELETED] 

>>406117
>3rd Strike bombed?
SF3 in general did, and hard. Capcom lost a huge amount of money on it. People may play it now, but when it was initially released no one liked it, and gaming magazines were calling it "the disappointment of the year".

>> No.406152

>>406117
>3rd Strike bombed?
SF3 in general did, and hard. Capcom lost a huge amount of money on it. I'm surprised there are people who don't know this. They must have really short memories. People may play SF3 now, but when it was initially released no one liked it, and gaming magazines were calling it "the disappointment of the year".

>> No.406153

I think the first street fighter sucked.

The second however is fantastic and still the one I enjoy playing most.

>> No.406165

>>406152

It might have been because it was too easy.

I can breeze through it against the computer.

>> No.406183

I always preferred the Darkstalkers series.

>> No.406184

>>406152

this. It was vastly different in both character roster and gameplay mechanics. Should have been its own thing instead of being SF3. Hell, I doubt people would like it if it were released today.

>> No.406204

>>406138
That's upsetting, considering how far the metagame has come. Yun lost his status as best overall character, Hugo rose to tournament viability, and Twelve/Sean dropped completely off the face of the earth.

>>406153
I have a question for you, and for everyone else who played SF2.

Which is better, SSF2T, HSF2, or HDR? I'm torn, personally.

>> No.406219

>>406204
Tournywise people prefer SSF2T the most.

But HDR has SSF2T built into it

>> No.406238

>>406219
I'm aware people prefer ST, and that ST tournaments in the west are generally held on HDR. I meant more the version of the game in which Akuma is god tier and not upper upper god tier.

And HSF2 has ST built into it as well.

>> No.406257
File: 21 KB, 322x311, 458569_18070_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone ever play this version?

>That Dip menu

>> No.406258

I like the characters from SF1, but that game plays like ass compared to later ones.

>> No.406301

>>406204
ST's generally considered the best of those 3. HSF2 is pretty much a novelty. Fun to mess around with now and then. HDR kind of fell off because most players didn't feel the changes made really improved the game at all.

>> No.406317
File: 27 KB, 481x309, cammy-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>yfw Nintendo was gonna make Cammy wear pants

>> No.406373

>>403584

I'm sorry, but a fighting game with touch controls sounds awful.

inb4 usb gamepad, the game should be playable without carrying extra shit around.

>> No.406392

>>406317

Probably for western audiences.

Japan couldn't give one shit about half naked video game characters.

>> No.406395
File: 34 KB, 318x400, norimaro-mshvssf-2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Technically a Street Fighter character.

>> No.406406
File: 798 KB, 2592x1063, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A few of my CPS2 carts... Man, I miss the SF arcade days. You had to pay to play, leave your fucking house, and be face to face with you opponent. Today's breed of shit talking Internet gamer make me sick.

>> No.406415
File: 4 KB, 112x96, magz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh hi i'm the hardest boss in the VS Series.

>> No.406450

>>406317
>>406392
She's not wearing that because of some censorship bullshit.

Her design during the stage of development that screenshot was taken in was blatant rip-off of Gally from Gunnm. She even uses Gally's moves. Eventually they changed her to not be so obvious (Gunnm was popular at the time Cammy debuted).

>> No.406471

>>406450
The screenshot is from an in-development version of the SNES port, which presumably wouldn't have started development until the arcade version was done. I'm pretty sure it was just Nintendo being Nintendo (although of course they ended up changing their minds).

>> No.406478

>>406450
It's still really fucking obvious.

>> No.406482

>>406395
Not in America pal.

Thank God for that, I hate that little faggot.

>> No.406503

>>406392
If I remember well the Japanese version of soul caliber IV have DLC that includes schoolgirl outfits for the female characters.

Stupid and fetishist Japan.

/offtopic

>> No.406508

>>406471
That's got nothing to do with Nintendo; that's Cammy's early design before Capcom decided it was a little too close to Gally's design.

>> No.406517

>>406508
But why would they be using an early design in a port that wasn't even started until after the arcade version was finished? She didn't look like that in the arcade version.

>> No.406518

Saw it at a friend's house when I was 5. First SNES game I ever saw. Really didn't care. Never cared about SF.

But I did play some Super Street Fighter II at my frond's house when I was 8or 9. DAT WUZ FUN LOL. I loved that starting intro with Ryo shooting the screen with the hadouken, the graphics were really nice, beautiful arstyle and levels, music was hot, too. Dem flaming hadoukens and shorykens were sex.

Also we saw the Street Fighter 2 Animated movie motherfucking uncensored version with chun li's titties on display. That was the best day ever. so sexual and awesome.

>> No.406548

This thread had potential. Too bad tryhards, liars, and namefags had to ruin it.

>> No.406559

>>406517
That's assuming they started the port after the arcade version was completed though;. They may have changed her design late in the arcade's development process after the console team received assets for the SNES version. I think if Nintendo was going to censor it, they wouldn't revert her to her much different Gally design. They probably would have just lengthened her leotard a bit.

>> No.406572

>>406548

>> No.406576

>>406548
thread is going just fine you fuckin faggot. stay out bitch. we dont need your negativity in diss nigger

>> No.406581

>SNES version of SSF2 came out over a year after the arcade version

No, they did not start on the SNES port before the arcade port was released.

>> No.406607

>>405610
>ST is one of the most imbalanced fighting games that is still played in competition.

>a guy who only played Zangief all through Evo 2012 won

>> No.406648

>>406581
It wasn't even a year. It was still several months, but not over a year.

>> No.406987

>>406016
SF3S is overrated as fuck and people ride it's dick because of Daigo's full parry

Nevermind the game being a horribly unbalanced piece of crap with "balancing" mechanics like parries that end up benefitting the stronger characters anyway (see: SGGK)

You can straight away tell a fighting game hipster when he/she says SF3S is a balanced game. The good players don't say that

In another note: SF2HF is the best SF2 version ever. Shame it's annoying to play online due to emulation issues. Super Turbo is second.

>> No.407183

Only via an emulator. MAME, I believe. Shit was clunky but I liked the engrish a lot

This was the game which would forever form what kind of games I loved to play.

Alternatively, needless to say I loved the hell out of it. I couldn't play it for shit as a kid though and I got my ass beat a lot. And my favorite was either Ryu or Bipson

Yes. Very much so.

SNES version formed a bond between me and my cousins, they used to bring their Super Famicom (because they had friends from Japan I think?) and we'd play the shit out of it. Also, Master Fighter 2 was a favorite.

Alpha 2/3, and GI/3S are my personal favorites.

Not so much, but i find it that SF4 is a beast of its own. I still love it.

Anyone played the SF2 bootlegs like Rainbow/Koryu? Loved doing shit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK1lVGhVolU

>> No.407242

>>404998

>Karnov's Revenge

It's fucking good. For mindless fun with surprisingly interesting mechanics like sorta gattling chains (low to high) and your usual fighter's fare of combos, jump-ins, and whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SvoiLEM3CA

>> No.407704

Bump because this is a good thread.

>> No.408693

>>406576
So which one were you? One of the liars, tryhards, or namefags?

>> No.408884
File: 25 KB, 383x223, 1166465425752.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>put a nigger and white dude on opening
>never had them in game

I want charge an issue about fraud !

>> No.409754

>>408884
It was supposed to be Joe and Mike from the first game. Still no clue why they decided to put them there in the first place.

>> No.410196

>>406406

Wow, all these gems. Just open an arcade center already!

>> No.410998

I am the only one who never played SF2?

The first SF game I played was SF Alpha because that was the only SF game available in my shitty town.

>> No.411960

>>406607
Claw won that, there wasn't even a Gief in top 8.