[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.14 MB, 568x780, There'sNoUinSavior.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4014272 No.4014272 [Reply] [Original]

Post and discuss truly one-of-a-kind games. Explain what makes them so distinctive.

>> No.4014430

>>4014272
>Explain what makes them so distinctive

You first.

>> No.4014438

>>4014430
Read the file name

>> No.4014446

>>4014438
I don't get it. Both spellings are acceptable.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/savior

That still explains nothing about the game.

>> No.4014612

>>4014272
Dark Half, you play as the protagonist as well as the antoganist, also the battle system is very different, look it up

>> No.4014662

>>4014430
Okay,

so as far as gameplay goes its an "adventure game" because it incorporates elements from many genres - its structured like a jrpg but it alternates between puzzle/platforming sections with combat thats set up like a fighting game(and to add to that you can capture some enemies which you can play as during future battles)

Storywise it has a unique system that determines how the narrative progresses based on how you perform on the first level. This also affects the gameplay because the areas you get to explore will be different as well. I dont wanna spoil anything but bo get the full experience you must play it several times with the different outcomes to really understand whats going on.

>> No.4014663
File: 52 KB, 640x480, Budokan - The Martial Spirit (Unl) [c][!]006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4014272
Budokan is essentially a fighting game, but it's from before the genre developed a lot of the traditions people now think of so it's very different but quite interesting.

You have a chi meter and a stamina meter. Chi determines how much damage you do and moving or attacking drains it, while blocking attacks raises it. Stamina is like your health meter but as it runs out you move and attack slower as well.

You pick between staff, nunchuck, kendo sword or karate and go through 12 rounds of a tournament against various opponents using those plus tonfas, naginata, kusaria gama and a couple of others. But you can only use each weapon type 4 times, and losing a round sets you back. So you have to be careful which weapon you choose for each opponent.

It's slow and somewhat clunky, but it's a very interesting take on a fighting game and quite fun in it's own right.

>> No.4014829
File: 333 KB, 488x344, Best of the best (Panza kick boxing _Supernes).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4014272
i like this
>>4014663
and this.
best of the best is also great in the unique fighting game genre. the fact that you unlock moves progressively and choose your style one move at a time is a nice feature. the fights are actually long, something that lacks in most fighters, and can be quite epic with a lot of twists. the gameplay is weird at first but addictive and very satisfying once you get used to it.

>> No.4015104

>>4014829
>best of the best
Recommended version?

>> No.4015132
File: 211 KB, 360x500, caveman-games-usa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4014272
Caveman Games for the NES is just a series of competetive minigames for two players, the games are very simplistic but with some have an unexpected grade of complexity like the pole vault one.
I wouldn't call it a good game, but it has some nice humour.

>> No.4015701

>>4014272
>>4014662
Seconded. I love the prison island setting.

>> No.4015907
File: 380 KB, 709x1181, Burning Rangers (U) Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pretty unique one
>futuristic firefighter

>> No.4016185

>>4015907
too bad it sucks

>> No.4016197

>>4015104
i have only ever played the SNES version and it's good but others might look better. also there's a 2 player mode in some versions that isn't in the SNES one

>> No.4016239

>>4015907
>What is Firemen?
>What is Rosco McQueen?

>> No.4016293

>Cosmic Smash
It's squash/handball/breakout with a really sleek aesthetic.

>Intelligent Qube
Addicting puzzle game where a bunch of cubes are rolling toward you and you have to mark spots on the ground to make them disappear (without hitting any forbidden blocks) before they reach the edge and you run out of room.

>The Sentinel Returns
Puzzle game with a bizarre aesthetic where... ehh I forget, but it had a unique gameplay and the setting was bizarre.

>> No.4016318

>>4015907
Sonic Team's best game easily.

>> No.4016326

I just finished Un's playthrough of Dark Savior.

While i like the idea of multipath games, it felt like the lines werent connected as well as they should be, or i just blinked and missed some dialog.

For instance Kay says she came to the island to look for Tracy, but if you dont rescue kay, tracy says the same thing about kay.

Why doesnt the balanium turn kay into a giant sized kay, but it turns drizzit into a giant dragon?

>> No.4016352

>>4016318
what is NiGHTS

>> No.4016357

>>4016352
an inferior game

>> No.4016378

>>4016326
Did you seriously watch a non silent playthrough before playing a game for yourself? He misses dialogue and the off-topic commentary is distracting as hell. Not saying it's a bad playthrough, just that it's not fit to be watched by someone who never played it.

>For instance Kay says she came to the island to look for Tracy, but if you dont rescue kay, tracy says the same thing about kay.
no, tracy asks where kay is but doesnt necessarily say she came to the island to look for her. i guess she would know kay is on the island because of her visions. it's been a long while since i played the game but i tihink it's explicitly said that the warden captured tracy and brought her to the island

>Why doesnt the balanium turn kay into a giant sized kay, but it turns drizzit into a giant dragon?
the bilanium acted on the blue rose rather than kay, thats why when kay falls into the vat a giant rosebud pops out

>> No.4016381

>>4016357
(You)

>> No.4016419

>>4016378
I dont like silent playthroughs. If i am interested enough in a game to not want any distraction, then ill play it myself. So i use playthroughs by lpers i enjoy to explore games i wouldnt have looked at otherwise.

I mustve misunderstood about tracy.

I forgot about the rose growing... but now that you mentioned it, i guess the reveal at the end of p2 kinda explains why the balanium reacted to the rose instead of kay. Or im forgetting something else and the rose actually landed in the vat a bit before kay.

Im forgetting shit because i started watching it a couple months ago.

>> No.4016430

>>4016378
Oh yeah, i forgot, i didnt like the convenience of "leave kay behind, tracy is sitting in jlo hq. Save kay, tracy is nowhere to be found".

>> No.4016431

>>4016419
>So i use playthroughs by lpers
Nigga you watch let's plays. Get ouuuuut

>> No.4016439

>>4016419
>i guess the reveal at the end of p2 kinda explains why the balanium reacted to the rose instead of kay.
yeah, one can speculate that the bilanium went for the rose because the bitch is actually statue, who knows.

and hey, since you only watched the playthrough might as well let you know un missed some subtle dialogue that explains the whole game are just the ever repeating endless nightmares of garian frozen in carbon who's actually the real one

oh and the implication that carbon garian is the one that survived at the end of parallel 4 totally went over his head too

>> No.4016468

>>4016431
Yeah, thats what i said.

>>4016439
The dialog about the neverending nightmares would explain the conveniences. Like the "tracy magically at jlo hq", "jack can turn back time", etc.
The dream thing actually makes me really like the game now.

But yeah, i like un, but he isnt the best player. But like i said, i wouldve never been exposed to the game otherwise.

>> No.4016706

How does the alundra plot compare to compare to dark savior? Never played it but i heard its about dream stuff as well. Since it was made by the people who left climax i figured there might be some influence between the too even if alundra looks more like landstalker

>> No.4016991

Nights into dreams. Nuff said

>> No.4017912

giants citizen kabuto

>> No.4018603

>>4014272
what's the science behind that chicks hair?

>> No.4018614
File: 124 KB, 700x483, hybridheaven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

At first it looks like an average early third-person shooting/adventure game, but then the actual battles begin and that's when things go crazy.
Real-time 3D fighting premise, but attacks are semi-turn based and menu-based. I say semi-turn based because it's mostly real time, but when you or your opponent decide to attack, the menu screen pop up and it's like in a traditional RPG where you can select your commands, item, etc.
You can only attack when your stamina bar is replenished (which you can later upgrade), you can also run, which also uses stamina.
When you're close to your opponent you can either attack first, or if the enemy attacks, you will be able to select a variety of functions (step, guard, counter). If you select step, you can choose what direction you want to step in to avoid the attack it's coming.
For attacking you can select a variety of punches and kickcs (right arm, left arm, uppercut, front, low kick, etc etc) and as you level up you get more abilities and wrestling supplex moves. There is also a custom combo option where you can make your own made combination of attacks, as I said, the more stamina you have, the more consecutive hits you can inflict, supplex moves also use a lot of stamina.
The upgrade system also let you level up different parts of your body, and you even get experience from receiving attack, so lets say you receive a hit on your left arm, you will get experience on the left arm. So you can end up with a very powerful left-side arm and leg, and weak right-side or viceversa - generally kicks deal more damage than punches so the most likely scenario is that your legs will be a lot more leveled than your arms, but it's all up to the player.
But yeah, Hybrid Heaven lives up to its name, it's a hybrid of adventure/TPS, RPG, 3D fighting and wrestling.

>> No.4018619
File: 50 KB, 640x633, bushido blade front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A fighting game in which you can win with one strike.

>> No.4018680
File: 26 KB, 252x395, Enemy_Zero_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

really tense first person horror game where you fight invisible enemies
you have to use the sound your device emits when they're near to pinpoint their location
all guns have their own charge times and limited range (and ammo), so timing is crucial

>> No.4019370

NiGHTS and Rez.

'90s Sega just made creative and quirky games in general.

>> No.4019386
File: 47 KB, 450x450, kenji-eno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4018680
> You don't need realtime character models if you make your game first person and the enemy literally invisible

Only kid I knew who owned a SS had this one and Fighters Megamix. Good times

>> No.4019495

does dark savior work well on yabause or mednafen? tried it a few years ago on ssf and it froze when the prison gates were opening

>> No.4019548
File: 310 KB, 509x325, ftyd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4018603
dark savior has a unique science system

>> No.4019554

>>4019495
it doesn't freeze, you just have to wait for quite a long time, maybe 1 minute. it's the only problem and i think it happens only once

>> No.4019797

>>4019554
not him but it also happens in certain battles if you knock down the enemy in the corners of the stage and at the end of the elevator scene nearing the carbon room

>> No.4021863

>>4019495
you need a really good rig for mednafen but at this point it's very likely perfect

>> No.4023234

say what you want but honestly Majora's Mask

>> No.4023493
File: 171 KB, 800x600, vangers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

vangers is p. unique. it's the oddest voxel based (post apocalyptic?) rpg racing game I know

what an odd and dense game to get into. I'm still not familiar enough with the game to even really say if it's good or not. just that it's definitely one of a kind

>> No.4023774
File: 225 KB, 1024x768, bangai8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bangai-O looks like a free-roam shmup at first, and it is, but it has a lot of more depth than that, and it's hard to classify in one genre, and the only similar game to this is called Hover Attack, an early 80s game on a japanese Sharp computer, Bangai-O is a spiritual successor to that game which the main programmer of the game loved when he was younger. Well, Bangai-O takes the concept of Hover Attack from the controls, you're using a humanoid robot and you can jump at zero gravity and hover in any direction you want.
But Bangai-O adds something else apart from shooting enemies, and that's the explosion counter. Basically Bangai-O is a love letter to all these mecha anime from the 80s that used a ridiculous excessive amount of missiles, each with their own trace. The way this works is that the more enemies, or enemy bullets you can make explode with your own missiles, the higher your score is, and in the N64 version, it also lets you make upgrades through a combo system (you can make up to like 10 consecutive combos, that means 1k explosions).
In one of the dialogue cutscenes the characters discuss what kind of game is Bangai-O, one says it's obviously a shooter, while the other says it also has a puzzle element, then another character concludes it's a "bait game". You're baiting enemies as much as you can and just in the last moment you release your missile explosion, the more enemies and bullets are going after you, the better.

>> No.4025371

Out of this world.

Mike Aruba xD

>> No.4025378
File: 1.99 MB, 400x400, 1494598099274.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4016239
>futuristic

>> No.4025383
File: 70 KB, 250x250, hcg101_sentient_vs_ps_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

stopping a space station from colliding with the sun in real time using nothing but conversation options, nuff said

>> No.4025538

>>4014272
CHAOS SEED

>> No.4026118

Shinrei Jusaishi Taroumaru

>> No.4028548

>>4025383
>>4025383
Reminds me of Captain Blood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJOD8yMo1Bk

>> No.4030787
File: 13 KB, 250x250, Sentient.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4025383
I bought this game only because it had the most boring boxart I've ever seen.

Still havent played it yet.

>> No.4031569

The Sentinel:
A kind of three dimensional chess set in procedurally generated polygonal landscapes in which you control a robot that can absorb trees and rocks in order to clone copies of itself onto higher vantage points in the landscape until you are able to absorb The Sentinel, a kind of lethal lighthouse that destroys you if you ever teleport into its line of sight. All of this on 64k 8-bit technology.

Sega NiGHTS:
Lazy fucks in this thread didn't explain why Nights is unique. Well, Sonic Team imagined a platform jumping game in which there were no platforms and you didn't need to jump. Imagine if Sonic the Hedgehog could just fly. Where would the challenge in the game come from? It comes from the sheer joy of aerial manoeuvres, performing stunts and collecting "chains" of items to score points, then trying to beat your previous score. Played with analogue joypad, the FEELING of this game is unsurpassed, it really does simulate the sensation of flying in a dream

>> No.4034069
File: 1.95 MB, 400x217, bangaiok.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4023774
Came here to post bangai-o