[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 11 KB, 181x269, linklaugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3997097 No.3997097 [Reply] [Original]

So I know this sounds retarded, but I want to play the CDi. Is emulation just shit tier on this? I did some googling and it seemed like a lost cause. I'm not against getting a CDi if necessary, but how is the piracy scene on it? Can I play burned games? Zelda CDi(s) are fucking expensive. Plis halp

>> No.3997113

MESS

you won't enjoy your time with the CDi. As somebody who actually had one and yes, played one of those Zelda games, its as bad as the memes say.

The only games I remember enjoying were Micro Machines and some Prince of Persia-esque game set in typical European castle fantasy. If you buy one, it's your duty to try out as many stupid controllers as you can, because the CDi had a bunch of stupid controller addons.

>> No.3997121

>>3997113
>MESS
>open this
>it's from the MAME team
Oh god. Uh... Just gonna consider this one not emulated...

>> No.3997149

>Emulate it
>Convince yourself the emulator is shit
>Find out there's no copy protection whatsoever
>Buy CDi
>Play burned game you wanted to play
>All the frame rate, graphical glitches, horrible input delay are the same on the actual console
>Plus worse load times and god-awful CDi controller unless you pay double to get a gamepad
/CDi experience. Why I still buy games for it when I see them I'll never know.

>> No.3997215

>>3997149
Welcome to /vr/ in a nutshell.

>> No.3997239

>>3997121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpICotUGMo

MESS is your only choice. The only other CD-i emulator costs $35 and has a control scheme so bad that someone had to create a 3rd-party mouse hijacking tool to make a usable.

That video might make the process less painful.

>> No.3997293

>>3997239
Thanks anon. This was legit helpful. Anon will remember this.

>> No.3999187

I wanted a CDI so bad when they came out.
I still do.

>> No.3999193

>>3997097

Literally the only thing good about the CD-i is that it could play back Video CDs in the proper aspect ratio. And no one cares about Video CDs anymore.

And you still needed the full-motion MPEG-1 cartridge to make it work.