[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 41 KB, 475x347, 50541front-3877.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3990073 No.3990073 [Reply] [Original]

Post a retro game you beat recently. I beat Boogerman last night. Short but decent.

Overall really fun but a major thing i don't like about it is it's one of those games where you feel like as you are running to the right you feel really close to the oncoming shit and things just pop out of nowhere and hit you. Even when you take it slow things off screen sometimes hit you and it's like ghosts and goblins so you get hit twice ur done unless u upgrade yo shit! so sucks to lose progress to some bullshit and it happens sometimes even while going slow.

>> No.3990208
File: 101 KB, 640x448, streetsofrage2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beat Streets of Rage 2 for the first time ever just two days ago! Normal difficulty, Axel and had to use a continue in the middle of the Mr X fight.

Still I feel pretty good. I'm not good at games so it feels like an achievement. Gonna try for a different character/no continues later on

>> No.3991709

>>3990073
>it's one of those games where you feel like as you are running to the right you feel really close to the oncoming shit and things just pop out of nowhere and hit you
Uhh, slow down I guess? I made the mistake of playing the SNES port first so I can agree to some extent

Original MD game sounds way better and has a wider field of play

>> No.3991727

>>3990073
That game is better on the Genesis

Just beat Maximum Carnage yesterday

>> No.3991761
File: 1.28 MB, 1280x720, capcom_char_sample.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been emulating some ps1 recently on my psp, mostly capcom stuff

BoFIV: I tried III forever ago but dropped it for whatever reason. I remember the intro being slow so I decided to try IV. Blew me away. Great art, fun battle system, and a good story. Kind of slogged near the end a bit but I seriously was impressed. Looking into starting the other BoF games.

Megaman 8: Actually played the Japanese version since hearing "POWER SHOT" every time I charged my shot in the US version was grating. I really don't get the negative reputation it gets. Levels themselves are pretty good with a lot of varity. The more puzzle focus was interesting and waa refreshing. It is a shame they kept the system from MM7 where you unlock the second four. The soundtrack was good but a bit dissapointing for being a megaman game. The board sections also are pretty annoying. Still a solid 2d platformer.

Intelligent Qube: Never much for puzzle games but this one really hooked me. Gameplay is simple but its amazing how clever they are with it and how good the difficulty is without ever adding any gimmicks. The music is phenomenal but I wish there was at least another a stage track or two.

>> No.3991789

>>3990073
Has anyone documented the differences between the SNES and Genesis versions of Boogerman? It seems like they use the same assets but have totally different level layouts.

>> No.3991831
File: 87 KB, 640x465, magicalquest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Magical Quest starring Mickey

The first disney game by Capcom on the SNES, I had previously played the 3rd installment in this series, which was released only in Japan, now I got to play the first one. Pretty awesome level design, gameplay and transformations, and beautiful graphics and music.
Was actually a lot tougher than I expected, definitely harder than the 3rd one. Many fun boss fights, the final boss might be a bit disappointing though, but overall a fun action platformer, it has elements of Megaman and even Bionic Commando (one of the suits let you use a hook).

>> No.3993682

Just finished Streets of Rage. All continues used tho

>> No.3993748

>>3991761
Can a PSP 3000-3001 also emulate PS1 games?

>> No.3993750
File: 44 KB, 768x672, RetroArch-0430-165058.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Beat Equinox last week with very little outside help (I only looked things up to see if it was a glitch, or I got lost and swore I looked everywhere). The lack of depth perception in this game was the leading cause of my deaths (and headaches).

>> No.3993769

>>39399374
I use a 3000 myself. Any psp can run ps1, it runs it natively. You technically don't even need to hack it, though you do need some files I believe. Go look up a guide and after getting what you need emuparadise has eboots for all the games meaning you don't even have to convert the isos. Not everything can run on it but most things worth your time run great.

Hope this helps.

>> No.3993771

>>3993769
Not sure how that happened, meant for >>3993748

>> No.3994456
File: 204 KB, 500x347, Breathoffire2_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Breath of Fire 2

Was really disappointed with it. Was better than the first, but it wasn't really all that 'fun'. The AP/Dragon system felt really weird especially with the strange way AP restoration items were so rare and/or damaging. The end sequence felt both too abrupt of an end after such a long drawn out sequence as well.

>> No.3995548
File: 328 KB, 627x477, latest.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just beat me Sanic & Cuckles.

Felt real weird to come back to this game. Last time I even touched the game was the last time I beat it on PC, I think 15 or 16 years ago, give or take. Definitely holds up Didn't get all the fuckin emeralds this time either

I don't know what friggin sound card my childhood pos PC had, but ever since every other iteration of Knuckles' theme and the second airship level's songs have just sounded wrong

>> No.3995903

The last retro game was Thief 2. I beat it a second time about 2 weeks ago. Luckily the dude I needed to knock out and take back to Vik was less reluctant as he decided to run away from me the second I turned invisible, so I was able to get him in a remote location since he was running away from me and all the guards were legit going in the opposite direction not paying any mind to the main guy running away from the whole scenario. And I was in stealth. which meant I had to run after him and get to a secure location before the invisibility turned off. I still like Trail of Blood, I don't know why but the last part always makes me shit my pants and gets me all stressed out.

>> No.3995917

>>3994456
what did you think of gods many penises

>> No.3995980

>>3991709
Lion King is another game that's better on Sega mainly for the wider field of play.

I think the last /vr/ game I beat was Alien Soldier. I'm working on Atomic Runner right now and although it's a bit frustrating at times it's really fucking good.

>> No.3996003

I just played and beat DOOM and Hexen. It was the first time I've ever played them and now I finally understand why they're praised so much.
Now on to DOOM II

>> No.3996023

Beat Quake 1 for the first time recently. 9/10 quality stuff. The jumping-slime fucks gave me PTSD. The first expansion pack has so far been a big step down in map quality though. New weapons and monsters are nice though. Debating on either starting up [spolier]the PSP remake of[/spoiler] Lunar Valkyrie Profile. Making progress through Deus Ex for the first timeright now too, so I'll probably finish that up first. Putting Castlevania X68k on hold for awhile after dying a disgusting amount of times to levels 18-21

>> No.3996042

>>3996023
RIP my spoiler. Can't use the ctrl+S method on my Windows 10 work laptop for whatever reason.

>> No.3996104

>>3994456
same, just finished it and hated most of it
>that encounter rate
>that backtracking
>underwhelming dragon system
>that translation (played the GBA version)
>shaman system introduced too late, half of the shamans are gotten late game (two of which are easilly missable)
>button mashing fishing game
>shitty dungeons (that tree, infinity highfort, the fat queen etc.)
>got the worst carpenter
>lose shamans when you die or are at low HP
>losing great bird near the end
>taking away your shamans when getting anfini
>can't switch party members like in 1 or 4, characters in reserve don't get exp

hunting would've been cool if bow wasn't unavailable for half of the game, katt is meh
easily the worst of the first four (haven't played V yet)

>> No.3996145

>>3996104
Worse then BoFI? Only played III and IV but I assumed II was pretty good.

>> No.3996180

i beat the shit out of mah dick ten minutes ago

>> No.3996196

>>3996145
yeah, at least the first one wasn't as grindy, let you switch characters on the fly, with reserve ones getting exp and had a better dragon system

>> No.3997756

>>3996180
Me too. That guy's dick is the bomb