[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 39 KB, 472x375, EarthBound_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
396364 No.396364 [Reply] [Original]

Is it strange if I think this game is extremely difficult? I'm shocked at how strong the enemies are and how much I'm dying. Even when going into an area full health, it only takes one or two normal encounters to wipe it all out. I've heard people say this game is easy, and that just blows my mind, the enemies in this game are so powerful. I find that I have to grind several levels just to have a chance.

Well I am playing on an emulator, and I've heard rumors that emulated versions are harder for some reason, but honestly, I don't know. I think I just have the normal game.

>> No.396412

Why are you posting just to have people laugh at you?

>> No.396447

There's an anti-piracy system on the cart, but I don't think it activates with emulators (not unless you play around with the settings and config). And the enemies don't become stronger if the anti-piracy is on, just there's a LOT of them.

Anyway, OP, question:
1) have you played any other RPG before?
2) do you use healing PSI and HP restore items?

And how far are you into the game? The game is arguably a bit hard until you get Paula join you.
Especially all the first battles with the sharks and Frank (I was surprised Arino didn't lose during that battle), and Grateful Dead Valley. Then there's some other hard parts in the game, but I never had to resort to grind, in any of the 3 Mother games. I mean, sure, sometimes I got my ass kicked, but I could still beat the boss or whatever enemy that kicked my ass by using a different strategy or bringing more healing items, never had to grind.

>> No.396429

If you're at Peaceful Rest Valley, no worries.

>> No.396460

>>396364

i dont think you're meant to fight EVERY enemy, which is common with other RPGs. you're supposed to try to avoid them

>> No.396450
File: 77 KB, 192x154, 1364269234128.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Is it strange if I think this game is extremely difficult?
yes

>> No.396469

It's very strange, OP. Please get a trip so that i can filter you. I never want to see anything you post again.

>> No.396463

Oh, and as for grinding, after attempting to get the Sword of the Kings, you're set for grinding for life.

>> No.396530

>>396447

I have played other RPGs before, but they were usually the more accessible ones like Paper Mario, Golden Sun, mario and luigi, pokemon...Never really played games like final fantasy or chrono trigger or sword of mana. I know those are still probably accessible but you know what i mean...

And yeah I do use healing items. I go to the store and buy lots of hamburgers. But I find I have to use them rapidly. And often times, I select an item or PSI to heal, but the enemy wipes me out before I have the chance to use it. You don't seem to have high speed, enemies can often go before you almost every time. Even if you have like 60 HP it only takes two big hits from the enemies to kill you

And I'm at peaceful rest valley now...Level 18, but it's still hard. The UFO enemies etc are just really strong. It seems like every single battle in this game is a big fight

>> No.396524
File: 4 KB, 252x128, Chomposaur sprite - EarthBound.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396463

>sword of kings

that's nothing man, try getting the magic frypan

>> No.396554

>>396364
>Well I am playing on an emulator, and I've heard rumors that emulated versions are harder for some reason,
You heard wrong. Pirated hard copies are harder because the game fucks with the enemies spawning like 50 in every area and often even enemies that don't belong in that area. Emulators emulate the hardware of the SNES and don't suffer from that problem you just suck

>> No.396597

>>396530
>And I'm at peaceful rest valley now

Yeah then, as >>396429 said, don't worry.
That part is one of the hardest in the game, because there's tons of powerful enemies and you're still alone.
Keep going, try to avoid enemies, be strategic on your battles, and eventually you'll make it.

>> No.396658

The difficult thing with the game is how Ness can't ever seem to fucking hit anything. He must be blind as shit, since his attacks seem to miss like 70% of the time.

>> No.396698

>>396658

Huh? seems like you got Casey's bat equiped...
Or you've got Ness suffer from homesickness (in which case, just call your mom)

>> No.396702

It took forever for me to get the sword of kings, but after I got it when I was trying to get to a save point, like two fights after, I got another one. Needless to say, I was very surprised/pissed

>> No.396710
File: 110 KB, 850x384, earthbound crew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396658
The slingshots have less of a chance to hit than the yoyos or bats.

>> No.396731

>>396698
>status ailment for a kid in an RPG is called homesickness and the remedy is to call parents
I forgot how cool this game is

>> No.396740

I can only play this game on an emulator withsavestates.

>> No.396749

>>396364

Don't be discouraged OP. All the fags here have a board to jack their retroween egos off to now so they like to brag. Just grind a little more and it'll work, I know you're not accustomed to it because you're most likely not an aspie like most of 4chan and are a normal enough person to show some humility.

>> No.396753
File: 1.69 MB, 288x330, ego huh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>get homesickness right before I hit Twoson
>don't get it again all the way until Summers

Paula must be really distracting or something, because he didn't seem to give a shit at all.

>> No.396759
File: 57 KB, 1440x1080, Mother_-_1989_-_Nintendo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I say this game is much more harder than the Earthbound for the SNES.

>> No.396773

>>396731

All protagonists in the Mother games have some sort of unique weird stat aliment, Ninten has asthma, Ness has homesickness, and Lucas (well, and Kumatora too) has fever/"menstruation effect" when they're about to get a new PSI power.

I like how Itoi explained the whole "menstruation" thing on Mother 3, something about when you're about to surpass yourself and get better, you've got to face difficulties first, and will feel ill, so he made the characters in Mother 3 suffer fever before they learn a new PSI.

>> No.396765

>>396759
>play this
>barely get to town before quitting

>> No.396785

be sure to buy teddy bears and tons of healing items

>> No.396796

Earthbound requires lots of grinding at first. So I guess it's not hard, but it takes a long time.

>> No.396792

>>396759
Really? I beat this game within a week without doing any cheating.

>> No.396839

>>396759
>I say this game is much more harder than the Earthbound for the SNES.

Play that game and you'll never want to touch another Mother game in a while... it took me almost ten years to start Earthbound after how horrible Mother 1 was.

>> No.396867

when you die in earthbound, do you always start back at your house? or when you reach a certain point in the game, does the restart point change?

>> No.396880

>>396460

I'm not sure if that's true. The enemies in earthbound are often almost impossible to avoid. I think the game is designed the way it is, so that when you're a high level they just run away.

>> No.396918

>>396867
respawn at the last telephone you used I think

>> No.396908

>>396880
Correct. You start auto winning fights when your level reaches a certain point then all the enemies run from you when you get close.

>> No.396937

>>396839
Honestly, the only thing that bothered me that IMHO made the game worse was how absolutely awful Loid was. It was almost as if the game itself wanted me to dump him permanently and take Teddy.

>> No.397117

>>396937
You forgot the part where Ana totally outclassed Ninten

>> No.397171
File: 249 KB, 743x476, Arino, youre kidding right.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396412
>>396450
>quality posts

>> No.397432

>>396773
>menstruation

Stop that.

>> No.397490

>>397432

But... Itoi himself referred to it like that, if I remember correctly? Anyway, it wasn't like Lucas was menstruating, but it was supposed to be something similar to menstruation, in the sense that it was something painful but necessary

>> No.397508

>>397490
He's referred to it as fevers, nothing more.

>> No.398235

>>397117
I wasn't really all that angry about that at all. Actually, I was quite glad.

I was just mad that I didn't know the method to keep Teddy in my party. Even madder that I couldn't have both Loid and Teddy. And fucking furious that any fourth party members are pretty much doomed to die.

>> No.401054

>>397508

http://mother3.fobby.net/interview/m3int_04.html

>- The way you learn PSI is portrayed a little differently this time.

>Itoi: It's like, umm... It's like menstruation.

>- ???

>Itoi: One of my themes is representing the physiology of the human body. It's a lot like the Asthma Spray. A character will start sweating while realizing PSI, almost like with a teething fever. Whenever a human being develops or learns a new ability, the body really takes a beating. I've had this experience myself--whenever I'm feeling sluggish and exhausted, it's absolutely certain that good things will follow. When you're given an overwhelming problem you just can't deal with, the only way to cope with it is to completely mobilize your heart and your mind and make a strenuous effort to get through it.

>> No.401090

>>401054

I want Itoi to make another game soon

It doesn't need to be a Mother, or even an RPG

heck it could be #1 Bass Fishing 2

>> No.401116

>>401090

I have the bass fishing game for N64.
It's weird, I think I only played once, you can wander around on a 1st person perspective and there's some NPCs that are... animals.
I wish I could read moon to see if there's any of Itoi's trademark writing or if it's all just generic indications on how to play the game.

>> No.405361

I cant get past the roadblock at the start

>> No.405397
File: 51 KB, 350x600, >earthbound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.405427

>>405397
Rare vidya, folks.

>> No.405437

>>405427
Fairly certain that's a shop.
Not that Earthbound is actually rare.

>> No.405483

>>401054
lol I now want to play a game where the main character is a feminist and menstruates constantly causing animals to follow her. Her main attack would be Muh Vagina where she sprays blood on people