[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 304x200, N64pt02b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
394414 No.394414 [Reply] [Original]

So, /vr/, what's the best solution to loose N64 analog sticks?

Is there a way to replace it with a GCN style stick?

>> No.394478

bump

>> No.394683

Someone linked this video a couple days earlier. Maybe you'll find it useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJmSQjONRg

I plan on fixing up my own N64 controllers eventually, but I haven't gotten to doing it.

>> No.394704

>>394414
yes, I replaced it recently (about one week ago). works like a charm. You just have to be careful to not fuck up the things inside it, and take that blue stuff of your related pic with care.

>> No.394718

I thought it looked like a Mine Turtle

>> No.395215

Apparently the GC style joysticks work great but are a little too sensitive for some games

>> No.396008
File: 130 KB, 1280x1016, 1310960232535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394683
This video is a good start, but for god sakes get a liquid epoxy. Also, you might have to thicken up the stick and where it rubs because of wear and tear on the black cradles the stick moves

>> No.397976

>>395215
>Apparently the GC style joysticks work great but are a little too sensitive for some games
Wikipedia:
"The N64 Analog stick does not use analog potentiometers, rather using light emitting diodes and photo detectors controlled by sensor wheels. The sensor wheels are plastic hubs which produce a shutter effect allowing for an accurate direct digital read. The sensor wheels give direct correlation to the stick position, as opposed to potentiometers, which can change resistance values over time."

Does anyone know if the Gamecube is the same? Or was the N64 the only console to favor weird, expensive, but accurate tech over the cheap sticks used in the Dual Shock, etc?

>> No.398054

>>397976
>Or was the N64 the only console to favor weird, expensive, but accurate tech over the cheap sticks used in the Dual Shock, etc?

I would figure the n64 sticks are the cheap shit, because the way they are designed is flawed in such a way that they'll destroy themselves with standard use.

>> No.398196

>>398054
>>I would figure the n64 sticks are the cheap shit, because the way they are designed is flawed in such a way that they'll destroy themselves with standard use.

Nope. They have the design flaw which causes them to wear out, but the sticks are based on technology very similar to an optical mouse. This means that the stick never loses accuracy, and is far more accurate than a potentiometers stick.

>> No.398287

>>398196
>This means that the stick never loses accuracy

As the stick wears down, the plastic powders, and has on more than one occasion clogged up the spokes for the sensor. I've seen this occur in about six of the controllers I've cleaned and repaired, and it happened in mine twice.

>> No.398358

>>396008
So the gel-like epoxy that is used on the video is a bad idea?
I figured that a liquid epoxy would seep down the hole, thus not gluing the bowl-like piece to the analog shell, not giving support to the bowl.
Can you elaborate? Thanks