[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 97 KB, 670x372, wonderisland_banner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3931149 No.3931149 [Reply] [Original]

What are your opinions on these two game series?

The series has become relevant recently because of the remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (I know there's a thread for it up already) coming out and the upcoming release of the franchise's successor, Monster Boy.

I think they're great games but are unfortunately obscure because of their mindfucky series chronology. I also just learned that Whomp 'Em is like a spin-off of a spin-off of the original Wonder Boy.

>> No.3931194
File: 49 KB, 278x404, Adventureisland4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

GOAT coming through

>> No.3931234
File: 13 KB, 512x448, SuperAdventureIsland2118.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3931194
To be honest, Super Adventure Island II might be the most underrated game I've ever played.

Extremely responsive controls, gorgeous graphics, nice music, and maybe the best localization of any game I've played on the Super Nintendo (which says a lot since the plot is very bare-bones but somehow has a lot of personality).

>> No.3931261
File: 46 KB, 640x480, 32178-adventure-island-3-nes-screenshot-eggs-everywhere-each-egg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Adventure Island games are great platformers. They were popular back in the day.
Wonder Boy 1 on the arcade was always popular, a classic, girls always liked it for some reason, and it was seen as a "girl game".
Even though I had a Genesis growing up, I just never came across the other Wonder Boy games. I played III and IV on Genesis later and they were great.
Adventure Island II, III, IV are all amazing games, must play.
New Adventure Island on PC Engine is a nice remake of the original, same simplicity with the timeless gameplay and a visual upgrade.
I have yet to play the SNES games, but I love the soundtrack of the first one (by Yuzo Koshiro) and the visuals too. The 2nd one seems to be really good, and more similar to the later Wonder Boy games.

>> No.3931278

>>3931261
>New Adventure Island

I came here to post that, so I'll follow up with
PC-E Dragon's Curse is best of that format, although the second Genesis one was also excellent.

>> No.3931345

I've never played a Wonder Boy/Monster World game but the Dragon's Trap remake caught my eye and put the series on my radar. I figure I'd check that one out first and foremost but I've also seen that Dragon's Trap is considered one of the best by most. How do the other games compare?

>> No.3931412

Arcade Wonder Boy is true Wonder Boy. Arcade Wonder Boy 2 is real sequel, none of this Adventure Island nonsense. Known as Bikkuriman World on PC Engine. But it's not the same and feels completely different, stabbing snakes with a sword and shit.

Fuck that shit. Need to get that hidden item in every level of Wonder Boy to truly win. 1cc is true test of being a Real Man. Apparently some Sega version requires acquisition of these secret items in every level to get to the secret world. Who knows of this?

>> No.3931423
File: 13 KB, 320x224, wonderboyIII.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3931412
>Arcade Wonder Boy is true Wonder Boy. Arcade Wonder Boy 2 is real sequel, none of this Adventure Island nonsense.
Adventure Island is the series that struck to the arcade formula while Wonder Boy went on a different direction, with exploration and action-adventure elements (sword, etc). Bikkuriman is based on WB: Monster Land.

The only Wonder Boy game that feels the most like the arcade was Dragons Liar on Genesis, great game, has shmup stages too.

>> No.3931439

>>3931149
I figure most people played Adventure Island since it was a staple of 999 GAMES WOW famiclones?

>> No.3931450

>>3931439
Yep, but only the first one.
The other ones were still found in famiclones though, but usually as separate carts, I don't remember them in multicarts. Probably are though.
But Adventure Island 1 was always in every multicart, more than SMB I'd say.
It was often called Islander in those carts.

>> No.3931451

>>3931439
I actually I feel that the NES Adventure Island games were vastly inferior to the rest of the Wonder Boy franchise and to the SNES/TG16 Adventure Island titles too.

>> No.3931657

>>3931234
hey man, thank you so much, I didn't find Super Adventure Island better than New Adventure Island on PC-E, and since you mentioned SAI2, I've been playing it, bretty fukken gud mayne

>> No.3931704

>>3931194
>>3931261
Takahashi Meijin or Master Higgins?

>> No.3931714
File: 115 KB, 640x480, taka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3931704
Depends on the region.
Takahashi Meijin is named after the actual dude though.

>> No.3931829

Sadly Adventure Island died a sad death
RIP Hudson

>> No.3932235
File: 57 KB, 400x399, COVER-Adventure_Island.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A challenger approaches.

>> No.3932236
File: 2.69 MB, 2600x1613, 1994_06_DH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"Guys, can I play too?"

>> No.3932319

>>3931423
Monster lair anon.

>> No.3932325

Can you guys help me find something? There was a mobile game that bore the Super Adventure Island name but was actually a Wonder Boy in Monsterland clone. I'd like to play it again somewhere but I can't find a Java file anywhere.

>> No.3932348

>>3931345
Wonder Boy in Monster World is overall better, if you ask me, but Dragon's Trap does have a great gimmick. The whole transmation into different monster men thing is unique to Dragon's Trap. The level design can be a little flat at times, though, and that's a problem that Wonder Boy in Monster World does not have, elevating it to the best in my book.
Those two games are the most alike. with the open world element. Wonder Boy in Monster Land (not World!) is an arcade game and completley linear, and Monster World 4, while having a hub town, is also a more straightforward 'move forward through the levels' game.

>> No.3932368

I like wonderboy in monsterland the best its one of the best arcade games ever imo. So fun playing it over and over to find new tricks and get enough money for the best items. Dragons Curse is also an amazing game but not as satisfying because its easy but it is a longer experience and really damn comfy. That main theme just makes me happy

>> No.3933141
File: 149 KB, 770x622, AdventureIslandMacau.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3932325
I wish I knew.
Someone did (a maybe incomplete?) sprite rip of it though.
https://www.spriters-resource.com/mobile/adventureisland/
It might be called "Adventure Island" without the "Super" in front, but there was also a game simply called "Adventure Island" styled like the actual Takahashi Meijin platformers (http://spritedatabase.net/game/2001).).
I kinda like the idea of the Higgins reskin for Monster Land, because the sprites seem to indicate he threw his axe, which is better than the shitty little stab of the more normal equivalents of Monster Land.

The game also seems to go by "Adventure Island Macau" based on http://spritedatabase.net/game/1909
so consider trying that in your next search.
I imagine you might have at least some luck if you search by a possible filename? Maybe "adventureislandmacau.[whatever the filename extension java phone games used]" could yield some results? I dunno.

>> No.3933660

In the Wonder Boy 3 remake does anyone know what to do in the room with all the springs and breakable platforms leading to a door?

It's at the end of the "unknown" section that you're forced to play as Lizard-Man

>> No.3933664

>>3933660
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyKnh1qVP0

>> No.3933747

>>3931423
The problem with this statement is Adventure Island went in that same direction with Adventure Island IV and Super Adventure Island II.