[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 42 KB, 420x375, Double Dragon Mission 1 Abobo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3911802 No.3911802 [Reply] [Original]

Lets discuss /vr/ games that we never beat and why.

Double Dragon - I was never able to get past Machine Gun Willey, I can go through the entire game without losing a life up to that point, but I am never able to get more than a couple of hair pulling attacks on Willey before he kills me.

Double Dragon II: The Revenge - I was never able to get to the true final boss on supreme master difficulty. I beat the game once on normal difficulty but I cannot get past the ninjas before shadow billy on supreme difficulty. I can pull of the special moves consistently, but I have difficulty landing them on the ninjas.

>> No.3911807
File: 30 KB, 230x207, 1412167014548.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Comix Zone.

That one part during the snow level, where you're hanging on the rope and have to fight some bats while an asshole throws something at you. I believe an e-celeb goes off about it, only I'm pretty sure he managed to get past that part. Actually I'm not sure if anyone actually has but it really feels like one of those moments you can ramble on and on about.

>> No.3911869
File: 262 KB, 709x1181, Rayman (U).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>You need to break all the Electoon cages to open the last level
Oh, fuck off.

>> No.3911885

StarOcean 2. I got to the final guy and he kept summoning a wave that did 9999 to everyone, instant game over. Tried for weeks but just gave up finally.

>> No.3911936
File: 277 KB, 1200x845, Gun_Smoke_Arcade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Lets discuss /vr/ games that we never beat and why.

Not when I played in arcades. Not even when I got emulators and save states. Why? Because it's hard as hell, that's why.

>> No.3911978

>>3911807
Dont know if giving advice is part of this thread but here it goes anyway.

There are 2 screen clearing glove power ups on that map. Bring one to that last screen. You can still use it while hanging from a rope.

>> No.3912038

TMNT on NES. As a kid, the furthest I ever got was stage 3. Years later, I replayed it on emulator. Even with abusing save states, I think I made it as far at the Technodrome boss fight before I gave up and lost interest.

>> No.3912290

Metroid 2, I've made multiple playthroughs where I got up to the Queen Metroid fight then just dropped it

Double Dragon 2 I only beat the full game once on co-op, TMNT 2 on NES I don't think I ever saw any stage past the highway even in co-op

Wolfenstein 3D is just way too heavy on the maze factor that it becomes monotonous and the lack of any sort of momentum starts to become disorienting and eye-straining after about one full episode, yet I've beaten Doom multiple times

I also never found all the cages in Rayman though that's mostly due to me spending more time with the level editor

>> No.3912443
File: 1.53 MB, 1535x2100, IMG_1217.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super Mario Bros. because I'm too use to the physics of the other games, especially jumping off enemies to get to higher places. Everytime I do halfway decent, I kill myself trying to get fancy. Then I just... kinda get bored

>> No.3913221

>>3912443
Until recently, the Metal Gear.
Finally played through with a walkthrough and save scumming. I wanted to fucking beat it after 20+ fucking years!

I've learned that we never would have without a guide. "Lost forest" maze and a bullshit building with endless pitfalls and hidden walls.
Bullshit.

>> No.3913229

Dragon Quest III GBC's bonus-bonus dungeon.

I never got to finish the monster medal quest because my cart's battery was shit and died not even 5 years after I got the game. I was a kid, so I'd play on and off. Then the thing randomly died when I was running the 1st bonus dungeon. I was PISSED.

>> No.3913230
File: 216 KB, 445x611, Bart_vs._The_Space_Mutants_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Some stupid shit with dinosaurs. I don't even remember if it was this or the other NES game, they're both hogwash.

>> No.3913271

Despite Gen II being my favorite pokemon region and release, I never finished the original releases on GBC.

As a kid, I didn't care too much about completing the games, and just overleveled my team. I was also rather careless. I remember leaving the cart lying around, and somehow it ended up under a chair. Long story short, it got crushed. Doubly painful because I had some of my Gen I mons on there.

My grandpa must have felt sorry for me, and during a shopping trip later, he got me crystal a few years later, and raised a squad for Stadium 2. I still wasn't all that great with the games, and eventually lost interest 60 levels and 16 badges later. I was a little shit, I didn't know better.

Fast forward 2 decades, and I get this urge to pick up the game again, as well as finish Stadium 2. I took for granted that the batt still worked. I took my time grinding my team to get ready for Stadium 2, and then I'd stomp Red in-game later.

I came home one day, and my cart was acting funny in the transfer pak. It didn't take long to figure out the squad I'd trained was gone, along with all the time I'd sunk into the game as a kid in elementary school.

My drive to finish Stadium 2 vanished. Sure, I could use my hax squad from Yellow or something, but I'd put a lot of love into that team, especially that Espeon I evolved by accident. It's still my favorite mon.

I never had the heart to replace the battery on the cart though, because it's the last game grandpa gave me. That file was from when he was still alive, and is a reminder of a lot of things I took for granted growing up.

>> No.3913278

>>3913271
>My grandpa must have felt sorry for me. During a shopping trip years later, he got me a copy of crystal. Eventually, I'd pick up Stadium 2 and sunk hours raising my squad for that game.

My bad. Totally fucked up that paragraph because I can't english while I'm sleep-deprived.

>> No.3913303

>>3913230
>Dinosaurs
Either I never got very far in vs Space Mutants, or you're thinking of Virtual Bart

>> No.3913312

If your game doesn't have any form of saving, not even a password system, I'm not going to beat it.

>> No.3913345

Super Smash TV

I'm not good enough on my own, and none of my friends like games enough to play with me

>> No.3913348

>>3913303
There is a dinosaur that you fight in the museum level that is pretty much impossible to beat.

>> No.3913385

TMNT - I never had a problem with the water level, I didn't even know that was a thing until a few years ago, it was the next level that would fuck me up.

Sonic II - probably the only kid that didn't beat this game, but I couldn't figure out how to damage metal sonic, and then after figuring it out a month or two later and learning his patterns I couldn't figure out how to damage Robotnik without getting game overed in seconds, by the time I did figure it out I was down to my last life and got game overed and never tried it, I was so sick of going all the way through the game just to die in 2 seconds

Super Ghouls and Ghosts - when I got sent back to the beginning I didn't know where that special ring was and I would search every level top to bottom for it. After that, every time I played the game I wouldn't progress through the levels without searching for the ring, I thought it was hidden in one special chest somewhere in the game, I didn't know you have to get sent back and then it drops regularly in Level 7 the second time around.

What a time to be alive before the internet.

>>3911885
You did the Private Action that turned his limiter off, it's actually an easy battle with the limiter on. The great thing about this game is that there are so many secrets and so much customization possible that there are ways of breaking the battle system so that you can still blow him out of the water with his limiter off, but it's not something that falls into your lap you have to dive deep into a lot of the cryptic stuff going on deep within the game to be geared to win that battle.

>> No.3913390

>>3913221
You should've played the MSX2 version. It's a lot more linear and doesn't have any maze bullshit.

>> No.3913435
File: 228 KB, 900x963, 1406487764574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Two pieces of unfinished business from my childhood:

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! - I've never actually gotten to the last fight, or even the penultimate one. Mr. Sandman always manages to obliterate any hopes of making it there. That angry face is still somewhat scary 30 years later.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - I've made it to the last palace a number of times, but since I make it a point never to use guides / maps until I've finished a game on my own first, I've never managed to power through the last bits of that ungodly maze and last long enough to reach the last area. I'd ltry for days, only to give up in contempt of that one big final "Oh you've made it this far? Well good luck making it through here" bit of design philosophy, though I've always like a good challenge.

>> No.3913891

>>3911869
Don't feel bad, most people never got that far.

>>3912038
Two keys to beat TMNT. First, camp the sewers in the lower left corner of Level 3 and stock up on health and scrolls. Once you have full health and 99 scrolls for all 4, proceed. Second, know the trick to getting through the final hallway of the last level.

The Lone Ranger is the one I never could beat. Similar design to Castlevania in side scrolling segments, and brutally hard from the third level on. You only have the one life, and if you die you continue from the very beginning of the level. Health items are rare and only dropped by specific enemies. Accidentally shooting a civilian takes 1/3rd of your life away. Civilians do not make any effort to escape danger. Pits are usually insta-kill. I've beaten the first 7 levels, but I've never gotten close to the end of the final level. I don't think I ever will.

>> No.3914425

Mickey Mania for the SNES. It handed me my ass on a platter when I was a kid, and I can't get much farther now

>> No.3914440
File: 501 KB, 950x712, 8556323_orig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

R-type: Memorization bullshit. I got to level 8 once, but this level right here is what always trips me up.

>> No.3914446

Zombies Ate My Neighborhood - I could just never sit down long enough to ever complete the thing. I probably wouldn't even beat it the first few times given the shot, I'd have to practice and git gud again. Which I'm okay with if I actually tried. I remember being real tapped out by the giant baby on the football field level.

Brave Fencer Musashi - I got "lost" at some point trying to get the princess after getting the seals. I knew I was just messing up a game mechanic by that point. Then, either lost the game or something because it was gone. Luckily I just bought a complete copy today for $40. I've gotten back into it today and saved the first few people and the dog from for the village. Gonna cross this one off my list.

>> No.3914498

>>3914446
Didn't ZAMN have passwords?

>> No.3914505

>>3914498

yes, but it doesn't save your inventory, making it difficult to start at later levels.

>> No.3914514

>>3911869
>>3913891

>most people never got that far.

Really? It wasn't even that difficult. I thought it was fun

>> No.3914515

>>3913435

I can get up to Tyson but there's no chance of me beating him without a CRT tv. The lag just wont let

>> No.3914523
File: 2.56 MB, 1534x2100, Time Lord.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The third stage boss soaks up about a hundred bullets even if you consistently shoot him fast enough that at no point is he regenerating health faster than you're hurting him. And there's a half-hour time limit on the entire game.

>> No.3914537

haven't completed any of my snes games through a combination of probably dead save batteries and a lack of interest in playing them
although I did get relatively far in LTTP and SMRPG before getting stuck

I also never beat the driver games, in fact I never even got past the tutorial in 1. don't even know where driver 2 is and driver 1 got snapped in half

used gameshark to get everyone to lv99 and had an entire FAQ actually printed out and had all the gil in the world, but never managed to get beat safer sephiroth in FF7, probably because I kept fucking up mimic kotr

everything else I didn't beat was because I sold the game because I didn't play it anymore or I just wasn't interested in playing it, which I regret

>> No.3914573

>>3914515
>MAH LAG WITHOUT CRT
This won't ever die even though modern monitors have long ago stopped having terrible lag, will it?

Face it, you can't beat Tyson because it's a fucking evil BS fight, not because of some LOL NO CRT HAS TO BE LAG lie.

>> No.3914574

>>3914515
ok nigger so if we put you on with a CRT you'll beat the game no problem?

>> No.3914580
File: 461 KB, 612x611, 1491755029569.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3911802
Mine is DD3 op.
That game was fucking redeculas they must have wanted it to be as life like as possible because if start a fight with more then one person at a time you are going to get your ass kicked.

Shame to the game was fun when I wasn't getting the shit beat out of me.

>> No.3914667
File: 762 KB, 1960x2401, IMG_8229.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3914440
This. In my prime I could get to level 7 on the coin-op without losing a life, then the rape mode engages. Still love it it but.

>> No.3914769

>>3914574

No I'll get my ass handed to me countless times

>> No.3915183

>>3914537
>used gameshark to get everyone to lv99 and had an entire FAQ actually printed out and had all the gil in the world, but never managed to get beat safer sephiroth in FF7, probably because I kept fucking up mimic kotr

You are awful at video games.

>> No.3915420

>>3911802
Captain America and the avengers on snes. Game sucked dicks and was cheap af on top of it. No way I was ever gonna play through that wank.

Turok 1&2 on n64. I didn't find the enemies hard at all but the maps were just too huge and I'd get lost, didn't know where to go. Don't remember where I got stuck in t1 but in T2 it was lair of the blind ones. Tried figuring it out for hours but just couldn't find where to go. Eventually memory card got corrupted, played through game again, reached the lair, again got lost and again memory card got corrupted. Last time I ever tried it. Didn't think T2 was too great anyway, liked t1 more.

There were some games I couldn't beat as a kid, like batman returns on snes and Prince of Persia on dos. Went back to botg as an adult and smashed their assessment, no save state bs of course. I think br on snes only took me like three tries too. Goddamn you're trash at vidya as a kid desu.

>> No.3915426

>>3915420
Welp excuse the phoneposting autocorrection pls

>> No.3916686
File: 220 KB, 360x500, IMG_1235.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3913312
poor Rygar

>> No.3916776

>>3913385
>You did the Private Action that turned his limiter off

That's what I'm always told but I seriously don't think I did after reading once how to do it. And if that is the case then it's a pretty shitty thing you an do it by pure accident and make the game basically unwinnable without another 50 hours of gear crafting and grindan.

>> No.3918135

>>3911978
I JUST BARELY MANAGED TO SEE YOUR REPLY. Thank you anon, I'm gonna go back and beat Comix zone.

>> No.3920224

>>3913891
Not the fellow you're talking to.
But I save scummed the fuck out of TMNT a few days ago.
Was on my list of games that I owned the cartridge at release, and have yet to beat it....

Only question, because I can technically see how one MIGHT be able to beat this game. Ignoring that last hallway.
The save scumming was abused hard during that hallway....
What's the trick that would have taken me 7 years of trial, error, and no doubt broken controllers to figure out?

Best I ever managed without scumming was level 5.
But I'm pretty sure I only made it there once when i was younger.

>> No.3920242

>>3920224
>What's the trick that would have taken me 7 years of trial, error, and no doubt broken controllers to figure out?

There is a specific pattern to follow. When one of those bird things comes at you, you throw a scroll or two to kill them. When a silver jetpack guy appears, you immediately crouch and don't move until he scrolls himself off the screen. Trying to fight the jetpack guys in that narrow hallway will lead to damage, and there's just enough damage to go around to drop every turtle from full health to nothing. Meaning you can't get past that hallway playing legit even if all four turtles had full health. I'm honestly not sure how you managed to get past by savescumming.

Glad I never reached that hallway until the age of the internet, I might have put teeth marks into the cartridge.

>> No.3920443

>>3920242
Yeah, even scumming that's what I ultimately did.
But i couldn't get them to consistently fuck off, off screen.

The real joke is that I cheesed the fuck out of shredder and didn't even get hit.
Just moved onto the right platform and hucked a boomerang at him when he jumped to the main platform.
Rinse repeat.
I had a good chuckle at that.

>> No.3920490

>>3911802
I never got through Double Dragon 3 (NES) due to the platforming and deathtraps towards the end. I could handle the enemies just fine, but the controls just weren't designed for that bullshit platforming towards the end. Playing through practically the whole game just so I could fall into a pit again and die instantly got old after a while.

>>3913385
>After that, every time I played the game I wouldn't progress through the levels without searching for the ring, I thought it was hidden in one special chest somewhere in the game, I didn't know you have to get sent back and then it drops regularly in Level 7 the second time around.

You're not alone.

>>3916776
It's relatively easy to do by accident, but I will note that Indalecio can be pretty tough even with the limiter on. If you don't have a thorough understanding of the game's mechanics, haven't done any grinding, and haven't gone out of your way to improve your equipment, then a lot of Indalecio's attacks will wreck your party.

This is especially true if you're using stuff like Atlas Rings that lower your elemental resistances. Indalecio's spells will probably hit for 9999 damage if you have gimped resistances.

>> No.3921897
File: 73 KB, 600x428, cover_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i just kind of gave up.

>> No.3922558

>>3911802

Those ninjas are pretty chaotic. I think I got past them via luck and intuition mainly; they're so fast that it's hard to fight them rationally. I think you can get some of them to fall off the sides sometimes? It's not too bad if you practice at it a lot.

The final fight is quite tough too. But it's not unfair I think. That game is good. People complain about the jumping parts sometimes but they aren't bad once you're used to them. You just need to learn the trick for each one.

>> No.3922601

>>3913230

I think there are actually three NES Bart games? Maybe not, but I thought there was a Radioactive Man one, as the third.

I played through the first two... the first one was pretty cool, but yeah it had some terribly awkward spots. I think the guy who designed the levels or whatever also did Ghoul School, which had the same problem of combining really clever, entertaining stage designs and gimmicks with hard-to-read graphics and a terrible control system. That guy deserved to have a better engine programmer on his team...

I don't know why I finished the second Bart game. It wasn't as interesting as the first one was; it was mainly linear action, which is not what you want out of a cruddy game engine like that.

>> No.3922619

>>3920242

You can get past it without deliberate tricks. I reached Shredder once as a kid (and then died immediately), and twenty years later came back to finish him. That hallway is easily the hardest part of the game (without tricks at least); it's like twice as hard as the second hardest part, whatever that may be. It's stupidly dangerous. But if you're careful and a bit lucky you can get through it with at least one healthy turtle left. I can't say how, but I seem to be able to do it once per decade or so, anyway.

>> No.3922626

I've tried to come back and finish Battletoads, without warping. It's been too hard. I don't think I'll ever manage it. I've never passed the ducts stage, even with warps; now that I'm more interested in playing the "real" game, I can't even get to that stage again. I understand there's supposed to be an even harder thing after that, but I've never seen it. I've kind of lost interest at this point.

>> No.3922823
File: 546 KB, 900x1200, 10101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FF4 and DQ5. It's odd because I like the games and yet just thinking of finishing the last fourth turns me off. I didn't feel this ending fatigue in other games of those series.

>> No.3922837
File: 290 KB, 512x541, PLOK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3911802
Can't beat Plok! without cheating or saving.

Can't beat the MD version of Ecco at all.

Can't beat the original Metroid, farming for health takes eons.

>> No.3922843

>>3915183
hey, it's not my fault I was bad at video games as a kid

>> No.3922851

>>3922601
Oh yes there was a Radioactive Man game, as well as Krusty's Funhouse, though I consider them spin offs.