[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 34 KB, 450x450, quake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
389974 No.389974 [Reply] [Original]

It's ridiculous butI have never played this game before (enjoyed Doom, Unreal, Duke and Quake 2 though).

I want to play through it and the expansions on the hardest difficulty. What am I in for?

>> No.390481

>>389974
nightmare

>> No.390519

>>389974
Happy funtime with awesome twist

>> No.390535

Fun. Kind of creepy fun. Until Mission Pack 2 which sucks big furry Shambler cock.

Good choice of difficulty but do you know how to select Nightmare skill without using the console? Have fun figuring that one out.

>> No.390559

Anyone interested in some quakeworld action?

>> No.390568

>>390535
If you can't find it, then you probably shouldn't be in there.

>> No.390574
File: 86 KB, 1074x630, 1259228545052.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>390535
use no clip

>> No.390587

>>389974
Quake on Nightmare is more difficult than Doom on Ultra-Violence. I wouldn't bother with the highest difficulties, let alone the expansion packs.

>> No.390602

>>390587
No, it's not. It's better, yeah. It's fun and balanced, but UV is a clusterfuck on a whole 'nother level. That's why UV has that disclaimer explaining it's not balanced and unfair.

>> No.390609

>>390602
Um, pretty sure i said i didn't say Nightmare for Doom. If i did then it would be harder.

>> No.390627

>>390568
My point was that if he's never played the game he won't really know and I was sort of hinting that he'd have to find it.

Of course it would be easy to type skill 3 and be done with it, but that's just not cool.

>> No.390794

>>390627
I see what you mean. There's just "easy" "normal" and "hard"....I guess nightmare must be hidden somewhere before I go through to select the episode.

>> No.391089
File: 39 KB, 424x283, 2342426.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>havent played quake in like 10 years
>decide to run through the campaign on nightmare
>open door
>face full of one of those jumping slashing assholes
>reflexively shoot rocket launcher
>die from splash
so bad...

>> No.391196

>>391089
You were eviscerated by a fiend

>> No.391224

Hardest difficulty is not that hard, especially in original. However, if you limit yourself on how to use savegames, it can be challenging (but tedious). Level design is great and unforgiving at times.

>> No.391235

>>391224
OP here. Still struggling to find how to start on nightmare. I intend not to savescum at all, so when I die I restart the level as the game demands of me.

>> No.391269

>>391235

Dont wanna spoil the fun dude, but... it has something to do with the 4th episode.

>> No.391270

Honestly, it's pretty meh in terms of gameplay.

It has some pretty cool level design (basically expands on Doom, has cool verticality gunfights, that's probably its highpoint - one hidden level is particularly awesome as it has low gravity and you can jump really high and fight fuckers all over the map that away, above and below you) and the atmosphere isn't half bad. Excluding the nailguns all guns are boring and cookie cutter as fuck. The atmospheric setting is nice and the music is good, too (made by Reznor).

But yeah. Gameplay is meh. For this reason I liked the BUILD engine games that it overshadowed at the time of its release (Shadow Warrior and Blood) more. In fact I also prefer Doom to Quake.

Play it using Dark Places mod. Have fun.

>> No.391273

You're only in for the best FPS ever made, hands down.

Even the expansions were good. At least, the first. Never played second one. They weren't made by id and nobody ever multiplayed them, kinda under the radar

>> No.391281

>>391270
>Play it using Dark Places mod

No, that shit ruins Quake with a bunch of gag inducing random features. Play with JoeQuake or DirectQ. Make the game look like software mode quake as hard as you can for the best experience. Turn off animation interpolation which makes Quake1 look fucked up. No colored lights, no normal maps. None of that shit.

Particles set to square, god damnit.

>> No.391294

>>391269
Ahh, just found it! Wouldn't have discovered that until I was had gotten round to episode 4. I assumed you just warped straight into 4 when you went into the pool.

Cheeky.

Anyway, utterly loving the atmosphere. I really like the tech base levels. It's such a rich experience

>> No.391315

There are still active QuakeWorld servers if you're in for some bunny hopping fun. Most of FFA ones are pretty noob friendly, so just connect and blast away.

>> No.391323
File: 1 KB, 130x120, Quad Damage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA HUA

>> No.391334

I played using fitzquake, Quake is great for atmosphere, especially if you're playing with the NIN soundtrack. If you like really old school FPS games then there's no reason I can think of that you wouldn't like Quake. btw you can go to quaddicted for Quake maps, some of which are pretty incredible.

>> No.391405

>>391334
Any quake maps that match the original campaigns for quality/length that you could recommend?

Looking for campaigns in particular...

>> No.391460

>>391405
http://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/

>> No.391478

Type sv_aim 1 into the console (or add it to your config).

Quake has an amazing single-player. Playing it on nightmare is a good choice. I've never actually played it on anything else but it's a decent challenge on nightmare.

One thing you may consider is only saving between levels. It steps up the challenge quite a bit; I'm not sure if I recommend it for a first playthrough as some of the later levels are gigantic (and new players will probably find it very difficult to reliably deal with shamblers and spawns) but if you're finding the game to be a cakewalk that's definitely an option. I've tried to play without saving at all with mixed results.

>> No.391501

>>391478
Thanks for the advice. I read somewhere that there's a bug in the game where you lose runes you've collected if you save at the wrong time. How can I avoid this?

>> No.391509

>>391501
I have no clue how to avoid this. This happened to me on my no-save playthrough once and I had to cheat to get into the last level.

Ironically, the only time I remember the game letting me keep my runes is the first time I played through the game, savescumming and all.

>> No.391513

>>391270
I prefered Duke3D to Quake when it came out because the performance of quake was fairly awful on my machine anyway. Could only play it in DOS, didn't have a 3D accelerator nor would have one for quite a few years. Duke3D's gameplay was 'more exotic' and varied.
Though I played Quake after, with a 3D card, and after people figured out how really play it and it was amazing. It blew everything else away for multiplayer outright for movement and mechanics. The largest problem was map balance as a lot of maps weren't balanced well enough and the maps make a gigantic difference as you can easily get fucked up otherwise while someone sticks on an important chokepoint or stash.
These days duke feels like ass to play in comparison. But it still works for singleplayer with eduke kind of, shit mouse input still though.

>> No.391515

>>391281
>Turn off animation interpolation
>No colored lights,
Fuck you.
Shit looks gorgeous with colored lights and smoothed animation.

>> No.391517

>>391478
Why the fuck would you enable autoaim? Quake already has perfect controls. If you need autoaim you're a filthy casual.

>> No.391523

>>391517
Sv_aim 1 is disabling autoaim.

Oh, the irony...

>> No.391524

>>391523
That is strange that they did that.
Also typing noaim apparently sets sv_aim 1.

>> No.391525

>>391515
Interpolation looks like shit during the nailgun animation. The ignition flare bouncing between barrels looks like utter shit.

>> No.391528

>>391517
Only perfect if you add "+mlook" to autoexec.cfg.

>> No.391532

>>391517
> If you need autoaim you're a filthy casual.
Honestly, if you're turning autoaim on in a lot of these games, you're upping the challenge. Autoaim is so inferior to manual it's ridiculous. There isn't a single game where it's better to have the inbuilt auto aim than to aim by hand.

>> No.391536

>>391515
>Shit looks gorgeous
Yeah, shit can look gorgeous and unfaithful, or faithful. That's the point here. GLQuake looks like shit.

>> No.391537

>>391528
Who the fuck wouldn't add +mlook
Also you can add exec myconfig.cfg to autoexec.cfg or just type exec myconfig.cfg at the console. Good for if you have multiple people using the same machine.

>> No.391550

>>391537
People coming from Doom might not know about +mlook.

>> No.391578

Quake 1 is my favorite by far. I liked the atmosphere much more than the setting they used in quake 2 and 4. Honestly as a kid when q2 came out I was really disappointed by it and didn't even complete the game until many years later.

>> No.391585

>>391550
People coming from doom aren't actually coming from 1992. Everyone knows you can look around with your mouse now. Hell even doom ports support it now.

>> No.391592

>>391501

You can just give yourself the runes. It really doesn't matter. Impulse 9 in console gives you everything. If you're not supposed to have a weapon, just don't use it :)

>> No.391593

>>391578
I prefered Q2 over Q1 initially.
It's only when I got better that I really found out what Q1 was made of and I loved it.

>> No.391596

>>391513
>The largest problem was map balance as a lot of maps weren't balanced well enough and the maps make a gigantic difference as you can easily get fucked up otherwise while someone sticks on an important chokepoint or stash.

This "imbalance" was a lot of what made Quake's multiplayer good. Map control was huge. Games have given up on map control now, meaning that any scrub can usually kill you at any time

>> No.391610

Have you guys been looking at the new ROTT? It looks unbelievably like Quake. Like, the guy runs fucking FASTER than Quake. Combined with jump pads, traps......omg. is FPS coming back, finally? Not to derail, but fuck I'm excited. The last "arena FPS" we had was the god-awful abortion known as Nexuiz.

>> No.391612

>>391596
Nowadays it's just called camping and you're scolded for attempting to control high traffic areas.

>> No.391616

>>391612

It was called camping then and it doesn't matter if you're scolded, it's how you win. High-level Quake is about red armor/powerup control and little else.

>> No.391632

>>391596
>meaning that any scrub can usually kill you at any time
Map balance doesn't do that. Weapon balance does.
You can have everything laid out plentiful in quake and no scrub can just kill you at any time. They'll get wiped for trying. The map imbalance made quake multiplayer shit. The weapon 'imbalance' is what made it good, the weapon imbalance isn't so much imbalance as it is some weapons are superior in situations where others are useless, even a normal shotgun will rape a rocket launcher at distance. Even nail spam potentially.
But map imbalance fucks all that up. It needs to give appropriate abilities to the player and not with shitty lanes easily slammed.
Bad map design can break multiplayer badly.

>> No.391642

>>391632

Nobody on earth thought Quake multiplayer was shit. A lot of people, like me, thought it was the all-time height of multiplayer gameplay. Map imbalance = ability to control the map. "Bad map design"? Quake's multiplayer maps are the best of all time in any FPS. This is pretty much beyond argument.

>> No.391664

>>391585
The joke
Geosynchronous weather satellites
The ISS
The upper atmosphere
Cumulonimbus clouds
Mount Everest
The Petronus Towers
Sea Level
The abyssal plain
Marianas Trench
Your head.

>> No.391667

>>391616
>It was called camping then and it doesn't matter if you're scolded, it's how you win. High-level Quake is about red armor/powerup control and little else.
High level play is about control but not camping. Camping often gets you killed in one on one.

>>391612
Scolding is retarded.
Camping is effective in poorly designed areas of maps where a map is overcrowded beyond it's means, to the point where even bad players can often come out on top against far better players for it. Overcrowding a map makes it fucking suck horribly as it is. It's a very resource based game and depleting those resources rapidly and randomly really slows it down and makes it shit.

>> No.391671

>>391592
I'd rather the game just worked properly...so I could have the satisfaction of closing off each episode and unlocking Shub Niggurath rather than just punching in a cheat code and deliberately avoiding weapons.

>> No.391672

>>391664
Was that what that was? So funny I forgot to laugh.

>> No.391674

>>391667

True enough, wasn't really making the differentiation because we prob don't have a ton of really experienced quakers here...A good example of this is the rocket launcher on DM3

Even in teamdm the rocket launcher can sometimes be camped effectively, literally staying in the room with it. And if that happens, game over. I did dislike that one aspect of an otherwise masterful map

>> No.391682

>>391671

It does work properly. I never had the issue you spoke of.

God, gamers are a fucking whiny bunch these days. "If I have a problem the game gives me the power to fix it, but I don't WANT TO HAVE TO WANNH"

>> No.391684

>>391671
>impulse 11: Add a Rune to player's inventory (to a maximum of 4 Runes)
Use what you have.

>> No.391692

>>391682
Except he wasn't given the power to fix the problem he had. He was told how to change the problem into a different problem.

>> No.391698

>>391684
>>391692

Dude fuck off you whiney, argumentative fucking kid. /vr/ is already getting ruined by too much /v/ attitude.

WANHHH WANNHHH EVERYTHING HAS TO BE PERFECT NOTHING CAN EVER FUCK UP WANNHHH

It's the best fucking game ever made, seriously?

>> No.391704

>>391698
>Dude fuck off you whiney, argumentative fucking kid. /vr/ is already getting ruined by too much /v/ attitude.
Irony
gb2/v/

>> No.391716

>>389974
it's scary
unreal is my Favorite 90s fps so far quake is 2nd, im playing hexen 2 atm and the classes all seem really samey it's a shame since the classes in hexen each required their own play-style. The level design is much better though i especially love how the key finding makes logical sense. finding a key to a mill so you can crush bones to make a poison that turns metal into wood. other games have this too but i find hexen 2 does it the best

>> No.391737

>>391684
Thanks, this is a better solution that just getting all weapons and items.

>> No.391748

>>391698
Please....calm down....please.

>> No.391762

>>391737
Of course it is, it's the actual solution to your problem, not a shitty hack which changes the nature of your problem.

>> No.391780

>>391762

That's honestly some autistic mindset you are dealing with bro

>> No.391803

>>389974
>What am I in for?
>>/v/

>> No.391843

Why are there so few Quake threads compared to Doom threads? I feel like Doom established more of a fandom with its cool universe and related stuff like comics, books, the movie, etc. And of course Doom is just revolutionary, even though Quake is also one of the most revolutionary games of all time. So please share interesting stories or anecdotes from that era..It was a happy time in my life from about 1995 to 2000, and Quake was a lot of that.

I have played with almost every one of the Quake team members. Christian Antkow (Disruptor) was the best, and the only one who could beat me, though he was not really a core Quake team member. John Romero was extremely good also. John Carmack is not very fast at FPS :)

I have corresponded with Carmack many times over email since 1996. If you write him intelligent, well-thought-out, pertinent emails he will respond. He's also directly interested in bugs that you have discovered, that's how much of a programmer geek he is. I also emailed with Paul Steed a lot, he was a cool guy. RIP. (Anyone know what happened?)

I worked on the mod After the Fall making weapon models and skins. After the Fall was the first true total conversion of all time. The final release version contained 0 assets from Quake, we just used the engine.

>> No.391847

>>391780
>fixing things correctly
>autistic
That's some mentally handicapped mindset you're dealing with, bro.

>> No.391852

>>391780
Not that guy but if you think a change that gives you everything where you have to think like "oh, I can't use up my remaining 5 missiles since I didn't have them to begin with" is in any way a solution or satisfying to the player then you're a fking idiot.

>> No.391853

>>391843
Doom is a shallower game, so it's more accessible to casual players.

>> No.391856

>>391843
> Why are there so few Quake threads compared to Doom threads?
For the exact same reason this question was answered last time and the time before it.
Doom's singleplayer was better. Quake's multiplayer was better and the core of quakes popularity. Quakes multiplayer is dead. Dooms singleplayer is not.

>> No.391857

>>391843

My friend Greg wrote the first program to open .pak files the first day Quake's alpha came out. He also wrote the first linux version of Quake. He was offered a job by Raven Software, which he declined. Strangely enough, I have another friend who made the most popular NWN mod and was offered a job by BioWare, which he also declined. He fucking laughs at how shitty they are now.

>> No.391858

>>391803
>Asking about a retro game on a retro game being unusual
>You being a cunt

The answer is clear

>> No.391874

>>391853

I honestly feel that's part of it, not to be insulting to anyone but Quake is just a lot more complex to play with 3d environments, explosion jumping, the possibilities of speedrunning etc

>> No.391878

>>391856
I prefer Quakes single player to Dooms but I respect your opinion and appreciate mine is in a minority

>> No.391883

>>391858
"What am I in for" is /v/ bullshit. Just play the fucking game yourself.

>> No.391897

>>391883
So, asking experienced players for advice and tips to maximise my enjoyment is to be derided? Are you some kind of cunt?

>> No.391905

>>391897

stop posting and play if you want to enjoy playing is my advice

>> No.391908

>>391878
I wasn't stating my opinion. I was stating a fact. It is better, even if you like the other one more. There are things I like about quake more, especially the movement. But that doesn't change the worse singleplayer balance for quake.

>> No.391915

>>391843
i think it's the color that draws more people to doom, also quake is faster and harder

>> No.391934

>>391908
I.....I don't think you know the difference between an opinion and a fact.

>> No.391941

>>391915

I think that's a big part of it too, Quake is a REALLY dark game, it's very dark brown and tan and dark blue and dark green. Doom has hellacious shades of awesome bright neon greens and blues and fireballs and neon bfg shots and FUCJKKKKKKKKKK

>> No.391952

>>391897
That's not what "What am I in for?" means. You don't even understand your own post?

>> No.391967

>>391934
Facts are things that true.
Opinions are things that you have regardless of the truth. Like what you stated and confused with the fact that I stated.

>> No.391975

>>391967
"Dooms single player was better"

Thats a fucking opinion mate.

>> No.391997

The one thing that pisses me off is that literally no one plays Quake with the original soundtrack which is such a disservice to the game.

The soundtrack is brilliant and really sets the tone.

>> No.392003

What is the best source port currently for Q1?

I'm using darkplaces and DirectQ but first one doesn't have crosshair and the second one is meh in general.

>> No.392005

>>391997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weDzy_FovQQ

>> No.392012

>>391975
Your opinion about fact is noted.

>> No.392020

>>392003
You should probably read the console commands, because it's simple to get a crosshair by typing "crosshair 1" into the console.

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/readme.html

>> No.392031

>>392003
They both have crosshairs. You need to enable them if it's disabled. Quake if I recall didn't initially have crosshairs set at default. Though it did have them as well.

>> No.392034

>>392003

You want to use DarkQ. Because glquake-looking ports look terrible, you want the game to look like software Quake in 3d.

Turn off interpolation. Turn off texture filtering. Small square particles. No light domes. Etc.

I should post my config for making DirectQ look like quake.exe...

>> No.392037

>>392034

>software Quake in 3d

I meant HD, durr

>> No.392046

>>392034
The only real issue with them is that they often fuck up small bits of textures in some areas and fullbrights.

My biggest problem with Darkplaces and DirectQ is that they fail to have to have the proper smooth movement of quakeworld. Darkplaces seems like it's halfway between quakeworld and netquake. Their mouse input is also shit compared to ezquake, which sucks.

>> No.392054

>>392046

Really? I'm interested, what's different between DirectQ and QW?

>> No.392078

>>392054
Both of those engines just don't have the same movement feel. It's not as smooth, the jumpings not quite the same. It's hard to explain but if you've played quakeworld you'd notice the difference. Quakeworld feels, 'floatier' but smoother and 'less frictiony' Netquake and those two ports, feel more frictiony, and sticking more.

>> No.392086
File: 34 KB, 432x313, kay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>bought on Steam
>no soundtrack
wat

>> No.392090
File: 860 KB, 1529x1018, makeitlookgood.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, here we go. With these settings, DirectQ looks GREAT to me. Obviously some of these are relevant to your tastes, but the stuff like texture filtering, particles etc should be set to software Quake settings for best flavor. It's like playing old consoles on a CRT.

>> No.392106

>>392086

Tell me about it. No version of Qauke I've ever downloaded had soundtrack.

>> No.392110

>>392086
>>392106

how could i easily upload it for you guys?

>> No.392114

>>392086
>>392106
Here is a fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923

>> No.392116

>>392110

Mediafire, probably.

Thanks, by the way.

>> No.392119

>>392086
this happens to me all the time on steam. fuck valve.

>> No.392120
File: 962 KB, 1024x768, darkplaces 2013-04-08 12-00-03-21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392054
Well trying the latest version of darkplaces, it's not as bad as I recall it being.
I forgot that it has 'per logon user' config too, I wish it didn't do that shit, at least by default.

>>392086
ezquake can use a script hack that kind of works with winamp. Darkplaces supports the soundtrack if you have it in ogg on it's own, works fine. Mine's working fine.

I also disagree about removing colored lighting, but I'm okay with gl_nearest or gl_linear_mipmap_linear either way.

>> No.392125
File: 1.93 MB, 235x240, zZAgwW0.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392114
Thanks Anon

>> No.392129
File: 716 KB, 1024x768, darkplaces 2013-04-08 12-00-35-60.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>392120
Colored lighting stays on. So does vis'd water.

>> No.392220

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY<wbr> QuakeWorld Launch Event - 1996

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCWySt8a-Bc<wbr> Quakeworld tribute ParadokS

>> No.392243

Is there a way to remove the view bobbing that occurs when strafing? This is the only game to ever give me motion sickness.

>> No.392263

>>392243
yes there's a few commands cl_bob cl_rollangle cl_rollspeed etc...

>> No.392268

>>392243
v_kickpitch 0
v_kickroll 0
v_kicktime 0
cl_rollangle 0
cl_bob 0

>> No.392270

>>391270
how the fuck can weapons not be cookie cutter and what does that even mean?

>> No.392313

I just wish darkplaces wasn't such a piece of buggy shit and saving configs worked properly.

>> No.392319

>>392003
i used a darkplaces patch i found on the steam forums that enabled the soundtrack when i first played quake

>> No.392352

>>391856
Not only does quake singleplayer shit over doom's; quake multiplayer (quakeworld) is not in any way dead

just google quakeworld and find the site with .nu at the end (4chan thinks it is spam) you casual

>> No.392361

>Want to buy on steam
>Not available in my country

Where to get this game for free?

>> No.392375

>>392352
Yeah, fuck off retard.
Quakeworld.nu is old news and yeah multiplayer is fucking dead. You're denial of reality doesn't change that nor does a handful of Swedish LANs in Europe by a group of twelve to twenty guys.

>> No.392393

>>392270
if a weapon can't cut cookies, then the weapon is crap

>> No.392416

>>392375
>i'm bad

>> No.392420

>>392375
>doom singleplayert
artificial difficulty

>quake1 singleplayer
takes intelligence to beat on nightmare and just cant go blasting through it like a faggot

>> No.392424

>>392375
>got raped in FFA
>being this bad
>2013

>> No.392426

>>390794
Yeah. In the manual it says:

>(Nightmare) This is so bad that the entry is hidden, so people won't wander in by accident. If you find it, don't say we didn't warn you.

>> No.392434

>>392416
>i'm nonexistent

>> No.392437

>>392420
>takes intelligence to beat on nightmare and just cant go blasting through it like a faggot
Technically, speed runs say differently.

>> No.392440

>>392424
>No players in FFA
>being that so bad that he fights imaginary players
>202XD5

>> No.392445

>>392437
>doom singleplayer (first time playing)
artificial difficulty

>quake1 singleplayer (first time playing)
takes intelligence to beat on nightmare and just cant go blasting through it like a faggot

>> No.392457

>>392440
>what is irc
>what is no babby handholding for casuals like you

go on doom multiplayer and you will just find fucking teenagers while on quake multiplayer it is a bunch of late 20s to early 30s (a good thing)

>> No.392479

>>392457
>go on doom multiplayer and you will just find fucking teenagers while on quake multiplayer it is a bunch of late 20s to early 30s (a good thing)
Bravo, I applaud your attempt at lying, including a fallacy, and expecting other people to be so retarded as to not tell you to take your retarded shit elsewhere.
Try /v/ perchance. They revel at your kind.

>> No.392480

>>391780
>an otherwise-great game has a potentially game breaking bug, but it turns out the bug is easy to fix
>he's autistic for wanting to fix it
Do you even like video games?

>> No.392491

>>392479
doom singleplayer a shit

but not as shitty as you, jackass

>> No.392494

>>392480
You don't want to bring it up, he's from /v/, he's just going to get even stupider at you. You can't really expect people from /v/ to hold proper conversations.

>> No.392490

>>392479
He's right though, Zandronum's fanbase is full of "I'm a retro gamer XD" hipsters who have no real respect for Doom. Most servers don't even disable jumping (which is only supposed to be in Hexen), that's how ignorant they are.

>> No.392649

lolno

>> No.392661

>>392649
Excuse me, mate? B)

>> No.392928

>>392480
It's worth noting that the way he proposes to fix it is basically the worst possible way to do it.

The biggest point is that if you cheat for the runes, the game still won't let you in the last level unles you clip through the floor (thereby requiring you to cheat again).
The other factor is that impulse 9 gives you guns you shouldn't have; impulse 11 is a much more elegant solution.

The msot elegant solution, however, is just to play through the game normally, without the runes, and then use map end after you've beaten the four episodes to warp to the last boss fight.

>> No.394882

>>392928
Impulse 11 is the right way. I'm responding to a guy who thinks it's "autistic" to prefer Impulse 11 over Impulse 9.

>if you cheat for the runes, the game still won't let you in the last level unles you clip through the floor
That's because when you enter the start map, the game performs a check to see which runes you have, so it will know which episodes to block off, and whether to let you in the last level.

If you start a new game and cheat for the runes, the game won't recognize that you have them, because the check has already been performed.

If you cheat for the runes within the actual game though, once you've beaten the episode and returned to the starting map, it'll be the same as if you legitimately beat every episode.

>> No.395671

>>394882
...Except impulse 11 doesn't give you the runes in the same order that the game does, so you might as well just avoid all chances of disparity altogether by using map end.

Impulse 11 is also useless if the game takes your runes away upon completing episode 4.

It's nitpicking, but why use a solution with few downsides if one with no downsides exists?

>> No.395719

>Being this autistic about the runes

I just played through all 4 episodes and then noclipped through the floor to get to the final level, which, by the way, isn't even that great.

Sure, the teleport kill is cool the first time, but the tele kill on E1M3 Nightmare is better.

>> No.398575

>>391270
>Darkplaces mod

>right-handed weapons
>regenerating health
>shell casings

casuals

The port itself is fine, the mod that comes with it sucks.

>> No.399838

>>398575
I'm talking about the port... just the one that jazzes up the graphics a bit. I've never played Quake with regenerating health of course, I would never rape an old shooter that way.

>> No.399858

Damn, this thread's still going?

That's pretty cool I guess

>> No.399895

Quake thread, fuck yeah. You niggers should really play Contract Revoked on Nightmare and get the secret map. Shit's brutal. Also, Warpspasm is a lot of fun on Nightmare.

>> No.399919

>>395719
>using a code to give yourself runes is autistic
>using a code to bypass the need for runes is not autistic

Is there really a difference?

>> No.399952
File: 26 KB, 638x271, IE implements HTML6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw people need to use cheat codes to enjoy a game

Fucking casuals holy shit how has this thread not been saged to oblivion?

>> No.399968

I should make a list of must-play singleplayer levels and mods someday. I'm a lazy slob though. By the way new maps are still being made and there's even a new editor out that's super easy to learn. You should definitely check it out. It's called TrenchBroom.

>> No.400012

>>399952
The cheat codes being used in question are to be able to complete the game due to a rune removal bug.

>> No.400219

Haven't played Quake in a while, download. For the first time in my life, I've stumbled on a version with the goddamned soundtrack.
It's like playing a different, much MUCH better game.
>dat ambience
>dat theme

>> No.400372

>>400219

Could you post the link to that version?

>> No.404252

My favorite Quake mod would have been In The Shadows, but it was cancelled :(

There's a three map demo which is pretty fun, but I really wanted it to be a full game.

>> No.404274

>>400219
Yeah, the soundtrack really adds a lot. Like those creepy wailing horns in The Grisly Grotto. And that subtle industrial pulse in the military stages. Out of everything Trent Reznor has produced, the Quake soundtrack is probably the only true industrial thing he's ever done.

>> No.407158

>Quake soundtrack is probably the only true industrial thing he's ever done.
Except for almost all of his work. Other than that, yeah it's pretty much the only thing he's ever touched that's industrial. Even though Quake is Industrial Ambient.

>> No.409973

Played this a while ago. Does it still hold up today? Is it worth getting the expansions installed? I want to give this a proper go on nightmare...

>> No.413551

Is anyone else here really captivated by the Quake I setting and atmosphere?
It felt so damn brutal, claustrophobic and... medieval.

I secretly wish there was a game that would feature some kind of alternate medieval universe where you would play as a mercenary clearing out enemy strongholds, all with Quake I style and gameplay of course.
Get what I'm getting at?

>> No.413908
File: 289 KB, 1920x1080, D1BE0B6D86C537F6982066F3C8ADFD7DE55C12F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>413551

Yeah, Quake 1 had good atmos and aesthetic