[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 50 KB, 475x657, Superman 0.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
388195 No.388195 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so I waited a couple of days to post another one of these.

Still looking for a better Thread Picture, calling all of you photoshop experts.

>What is Videogame Deal Hunting?
It is the process in which an avid collector goes through to build up their collection without spending much money.
>I.E. Going to Flea Markets, Thrift Stores, Second Hand shops, Retro Game Stores, Estate Sales, Auctions, Garage sales, and Craiglist.
Note: If you bought it from an Auction site like eBay then make sure it was a good deal. Buying online is pussy shit otherwise!

What belongs in this thread?

>Past stories of great finds. (This can be yours, or someone else’s. Even folklore.)
>Places that you go in order to find these deals.
>Discussion of hot and cold locations. (Who has good deals, who doesn’t.)
>Pictures of items you have found personally, or items that have been posted before. (Try and make sure it is a legitimate find.)
>Questioning whether you got a good deal on certain items.
>General Discussion of the hobby that is collecting videogames. (Why do you do it? Prized piece? Etc.)
>Feel free to post your collections as well….collecting is directly related to hunting.

What doesn’t belong in this thread?

>Posting items you intend to sell on here, or another site.
>People who are not collectors, but re-sellers. (If you are both that is fine, but re-sellers tend to piss off collectors.)
>Anything that isn’t directly related to videogames, or great deals on them.
>Making up stories about insane deals.
>Anything bought from GAEMSTOP or EB GAEMS. (This is NOT deal hunting.)

REMEMBER: You don’t have to have found a 100 dollar game for 5 dollars to contribute. A find like that is uncommon. Feel free to post the Gameboy color that you found for 8 bucks,
or a NM Game Cart that really ties your collection together. Videogame Deal Hunting isn’t based on the value as much as it is based on the thrill of finding the item.

>> No.388689

Well, this guy wins today's trophee.
That's for sure!

>>387612

>> No.388762
File: 283 KB, 832x935, first_haul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yesterday I did my first ever actual "search" that didn't involve browsing an over priced game shop. Went to a yard sale and a pawn shop. Posted in the daily pickup thread yesterday but why not post here too?

Got Dungeon Keeper and Lords of the Realm 2 for 50 cents each. Pod, too.

While not retro, the PSP games were 3 dollars each. Simcity was also 3 dollars. So was Top Gun, I know I overpaid on that one, but it's not a big deal. Hopefully.

Third Dimension ended up just being educational software, and the game collection-thing is just dumb games, I assume. 50 cents each.

Do you think I could have done better? It's my first time going out looking for retro stuff so I could use advice, I guess.

>> No.389363
File: 161 KB, 1000x700, jt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Haven't "splurged" on Gameboy games in a while, (yes, I am aware one is an NGPC.)
Any good? Would've bought one or two more, but I literally ran out of money and didn't want to pull out the credit card. There's $1.40 in change left in my wallet (which means I could've bought one more ;_;)

>> No.389639
File: 1.34 MB, 2156x2264, 100_2820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not retro, but I managed to get this from a "dealer" at my local flea market.

Currently trying to decide which pair of composite multi-out cable I'm going to butcher to fix it.

He only wanted a dollar for it, but gave it to me for free since I've bought a lot of shit off of him.

>> No.389670 [SPOILER] 
File: 168 KB, 640x640, forOP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>photoshop experts

I have arrived

>> No.392164

Hit my flea market a little early (live in New England, and it's still pretty chilly on and off, Saturday morning was windy as fuck near me), just to see if I could get a head start on any deals. Only three guys who came actually had video games. One was all 360 sports games, another had a bunch of shovelware DS games he wanted $10 each for (just the carts), and the last guy had a bin of NES games, and tried selling me TMNT 3 for $20 by saying he usually sells it for $25 but would give me a deal.

So nothing for me this weekend. Mind you, TMNT wasn't a BAD deal, but I don't come to flea markets/yard sales to get eBay level prices.

>> No.392280

Am i the only one who just love the gameboy an gameboy colors?
I hate to play on them but i love to collect all the different colors.

>> No.392301

Yesterday I got rad racer for 5$, did I get ripped off?

>> No.392326

got this the other day for 35
tv was free from a bro and wrestlemania is FUN AS FUCK!

>>387639
is where the pic is, since it;s a dupe.

>> No.392402

>>389363
>those hamtaro games
>gameboy games for less than $5 a piece.

Damn i'm jelly son.

>> No.392646

>>389363
I'm working on my NGPC collection. Thinkin' of selling that Cool Cool Jam?

>> No.392652

I managed to go through the whole PAX weekend and only buy one game. Got a complete copy of Dragon Warrior III for Game Boy Color in beautiful condition for 35 bucks.

>> No.392726

Went to my local flea market, and a guy set up two tables full of retro games.
Now if/when I want to get a Sega Genesis, I can.
Also, he has a copy of Star Fox 64 for $10, but I'm not sure that's a good price, but he's the only game seller that actually has it.
>>388762
What's the book?

>> No.393394

>>392726
>What's the book?
Just an empty notebook that I thought looked pretty. 50 cents...

>> No.396682
File: 29 KB, 402x389, 1357715876542.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My last good find was in June 2012. I went into a Charity shop, after my friend told me Zone of the Enders was there for £2.99, since I recently got a PS3, I wanted to beef up my PS2 collection. So I went to my charity shop, and BAM.

Skies of Arcadia was there for £10.I wasn't an avid collector of Dreamcast games, I usually dismissed them because I didn't really play it much, but I saw it, and picked it up, asked my friend to see if this game is rare or anything, after a quick google search and seeing it go up to £90, we immediately bought it, we then went to go watch Dark Knight Rises.

Soon, in October, I found Skies of Arcadia Legends for £22, which I bought as well.

Although my last retro find was of 2 Mega Drive games I bought on Impulse, one being Shadow Dancer: The secret of Shinobi, and the other being Mega Bomberman, and it turned out to be a Universal Adapter, which I kept. Both came to £5.99, which was a decent deal.

Haven't found anything retro yet, but I'm on the lookout for a PS1, PS1 games have become a lot more common recently.

>> No.397710

>>392402
Hamtaro supposed to be any good? All it did was slowly put up text with no way to speed up or skip. I didn't even get to the title screen before yanking it and moving on to another game.

>>392646
I just bought it, unless you're about to throw hundreds of dollars at me, why would I sell it?