[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.25 MB, 2052x1539, 1365274429680.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
388130 No.388130[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello there /vg/. I'm from a site called the cover project, and we're currently trying to document and scan box art for every game ever released so people can make their own cases for their loose cartridges and discs.

Would any of you be willing to scan some of your boxes to contribute to our project and fill in the holes in our box scan lists?

"Raw" scans are how most covers on the site are made. Thus, you should scan covers at a high quality. The minimum quality you should scan a cover is at 300 dots (or more correctly pixels) per inch. (abbreviated to dpi) This is so cover designers (or you) can make high quality covers.

However, if a cover is for an older game (like an NES or N64 game) or has significant rips or tears or other imperfections, most cover designers recommend scanning a cover at 600dpi so proper editing can be done.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?board=5.0

>> No.388169

If I had a scanner I would totally get behind this and help you out.

Unfortunately, I don't have one.....but I support your quest!

Good luck, and enjoy the bump!

>> No.388171

>>388130
What's your handle on the forums?

>> No.388175

You can buy the empty cases to box your games here. (currently the cheapest place to get them that I know of)

http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

Here is a list of the Super Nintendo Cases we currently have no scanned box art for.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=10797.msg77662#msg77662

Any scans would help, and downloading the covers is free to everyone, so if you have a cover to upload you could potentially be helping thousands!

>> No.388178
File: 2.44 MB, 3366x2100, DowntownNekketsuMonogatariUniversal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't have any scans to give you, but I did make this cover I never got to submit because my account was never activated. I couldn't find any scans online so I painstakingly cleaned up some high res photos that some russian guy took.

Game is Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari for Famicom, aka River City Ransom

>> No.388228
File: 1.48 MB, 2048x1536, P1020687.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>388178
Here's an example of the crap photo I had to work with

>> No.388254

>>388178

Registration should be open (and has been for awhile) so contact our admins if you have a problem submitting your box art.

All Raws should be posted in mediafire if possible to avoid compression & loss of clarity, and preferably in the Raws forums to prevent people taking credit for your submissions.

If you cannot submit tyur raws to the site, you can post them here and I can forward them to the Raws forum for you, though we really do encourage participating in the community directly if possible.

Above all we need good scans for rare games, handhelds especially since so many people threw away boxes back in the day.

>> No.388285

>>388175
>Over $50 each for a plastic box.

>> No.388306

>>388285

Um, that's for 100 boxes...

So wish shipping they're less than a dollar each, which is pretty cheap.

>> No.388349

I've been wanting to start collecting retro games for a while, but the two biggest things stopping me are 1) a lack of money, and 2) I hate having loose cartridges with no boxes.

You've taken care of one of my problems. Thank you.

Is there a specific type of paper you can buy to them of the same quality as your typical DVD or DS case video game?

>> No.388357

>>388254
Maybe I'll try again sometime, but in the meantime yeah, you can just have this one. I made it 6 months ago and it's just been sitting around, I don't care about getting credit or anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?i61ut965tv51tlo

>> No.388370

>>388306
Well don't I feel silly.

I completely skipped over the item per carton count.

>> No.388887

OP, you still there? Been using your guys' site for years. Unfortunately, I have very little to contribute, but always do what I can. What I want to know is, where can I guy DS cases with GBA slots? All the store.nintendo.com ones now have it missing and are ecocases.

>> No.389058

Hmm. I may purchase another scanner, since I need one if I ever plan to get back into art after a ten year leave of absence. My last scanner was a UMAX Astra 1220U.

Problem is, the cheapest scanner on Newegg is EIGHTY FIVE FUCKING DOLLARS. While I spent twice that on an MVS adapter for my Neo Geo, I'm not THAT committed to getting a scanner. meh. Maybe Goodwill will have something.